Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 7,277 total)

• Absolutely Happy. Companies should insist their employees fast for greater productivity! ! 😊😊P

Hi everyone,

I went out this afternoon and did some Christmas shopping. There was a Christmas market and I was expecting it to be food based but it was mostly the usual rubbish sold in markets and I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of anything I saw on the stalls.
    There was a fudge stall and the smell made me feel quite nauseous. The one interesting stall was piled high with Welsh cheeses but I don’t need any right now ☹

I did most of my Christmas shopping apart from two presents but I can’t buy them until they’ve written to Father Christmas to tell him what they would like and their Mum has shown me the letters πŸ˜‰

I spent a long time looking at boxes of chocolates etc when searching for gifts and decided I would buy myself something sweet as a treat but it would seem that my sweet tooth has gone AWOL and I couldn’t find anything I fancied to eat so I bought myself a new blouse instead 😁

Good stuff Amazon!!
    Can you do my Christmas shopping if I write a letter? I haven’t one yet, but think it might be homemade healthy things for everyone. P

And mine please!!

Hi all,
    Just home from a few days on my own at Jamieson. It seems the weather gods are displeased with us all at the moment – Melbourne sweltered on Monday with its first serious hot day since March, (mid 30s), then thunderstorms and lots of rain since! 45mm of rain fell in 24 hours at Jamieson – fortunately I had gotten the lawns cut just in time. Then when the storm hit, the power went off for the night. I had a salad for my dinner, lucky again as we are totally electric up there so no cooking possible. Even the pump for the water tank was out of action, so no shower, no cuppa and no TV!
    It was very easy to fast being on my own with only healthy food available though. I didn’t take any bread etc, so didn’t even think about it.
    I saw my 5:2 ‘protege’ in Jamieson and was very pleased to hear she has now lost 10kgs in total and is an absolute fasting convert. She was saying stuff like ‘I have completely changed my relationship with food’, ‘have been a yoyo dieter for years and finally feel in control’ – totally unprompted by me!! She also has mild hip dysplasia and been told she will eventually need a hip replacement, but yes, you guessed it – her hip pain has vanished with the 10kgs! One happy lady!
    Funniest sight was me mowing the lawn in some old gardening pants which are now 2 sizes too big and wont stay up without a belt. Couldn’t find a belt anywhere, so pants held up with an old dog lead threaded through the belt loops – such a hillbilly!

Great minds think alike I was just making a plan for Christmas food too. We have quite a lot of visitors plus both my kids(adults) and my son’s girlfriend staying for Xmas so whilst we need some luxury goods we don’t want to get too much. Vegetarians and meat eaters to cater for though, no turkey this year, just a 3 bird roast joint and a vegetarian plait.

Luxury foodwise I have suggested ‘mini’ individual boxes of chocolates(for those that want them) and healthy alternatives for everyone E.g. Nuts and fruit. We won’t buy much wine as most of us prefer G &T anyway. For some stupid reason we all have a glass of sherry on Christmas morning yet we don’t drink it any other time of year. Just one of those traditions! Mince pies are essential but I will only make 12 for Christmas Eve party, one each. That’s the plan anyway.

I have bought ‘Spa’ Days for my close family and friends this year so everyone can plan their own ‘chill’ day out enjoying massages and facilities at their local SPA. It seemed like a sensible solution for hard working people who don’t really ‘need’ anything in terms of goods. They will of course be the proverbial gloves and socks too, may be even the ‘odd’ tie. My family also love a Christmas jumper, sad, very sad but it does make people smile. I have a white fluffy one with a big robin on the front. Great for carol singing or dog walking, not too much public consumption, it’s loud for sure.

I am getting out the knitting needles to make both of my dogs a luminous yellow/orange collar to wear on walks. Hopefully this will help when they wander off, both dogs are brown so easily camouflaged in woodlands or on the beach. Talking of which it’s time to get walking as it’s finally mild again.

Have a great day everyone, I will be doing creative writing, then bowls followed by bridge lesson(not getting any easier).

Morning/evening all,

The weather gods are being very unkind indeed!
    Having said that it is cloudy but quite bright here and the wind has dropped.

I’m off to the gym again this morning and it is a FD.
    If it stays dry I’ll go to Kew this afternoon if I have enough energy left πŸ˜‰

Nama, poor you being stuck with a power cut. I have a gas hob which I can light with a match if it should happen here so I can always manage a hot drink, hot food and a hot water bottle if it’s cold.
    Fortunately we rarely get them here.

Time to get moving,

Have a good one everybody 😜

Hi Amazon,
    We don’t get many power cuts in Melbourne, but every time there is a big storm it seems to happen in Jamieson – too many trees hitting power lines I guess! We do have a gas BBQ, but it was pitch black outside and I had my salad ready as the forecast was for 38C! At least I had an early night! I hope you are enjoying your gym session, midnight here and I am off to bed….

Hi Fast Trackers & Welcome New Fasters And Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰
    Interesting challenge at the moment on what the weather will do 36deg Monday 15deg Tuesday 18deg Wednesday currently 6deg and a top of 19deg. Great word picture Nama big pants lawn mowing and real Macgyver stuff πŸ˜‰ a dog lead for a belt brilliant University son all finished for the first year and has done well and now secured some excellent regular hours at the β€˜fresh food people’ so now has some extra cash to repay dad πŸ˜† yeah right all in good time I am currently looking to upgrade the tow vehicle for the van and intend to get out and about more on a weekend with some 2 night caravan getaways Friday and Saturday nights now that the kids are all but either left home or are quite capable of being on their own you don’t have to travel far to find some beautiful tranquil places. Thursday fast day for us and Purple when researching what the forums have in the way of hidden gems unearthed this beauty a frank and fresh discussion I loved it…!!!
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/eat-fast-and-live-longer-what-does-it-mean/
    β€œIt’s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Same crazy weather here RT. Off to the beach for a few days….always travel on a fast day 😊 Have a good one. P

Hi RT

Same crazy weather here. One day 32 next day 14 and today 22C. Off to play golf this morning.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Have fun at the river, RT or at the beach, Purple. β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺

Morning All,
    It’s getting very busy for me in the lead up to Christmas, events most days so I am observing 23/1. Meals available are controllable but dessert offerings are mainly high calorie. Yesterday I gave away half to a competitor who had a sweet tooth. I discovered that ice cream(which I hadn’t had for quite awhile) hit a nerve but luckily I am visiting the Dentist on Monday for a check up. Nothing worse than toothache at Christmas, no dentists are open locally.
    Not making progress at the moment but maintaining, need to try harder and avoid bread which has been creeping back into my diet lately.
    Creative writing class was a challenge yesterday. We are writing a story for children aged 6. There are so many rules to follow to comply with publishing requirements. I have decided to focus on a clever pet rabbit that escapes his cage every night to go on adventures. We also had to write 50 word stories without using words that included the letter ‘e’, interesting exercise in expanding vocabulary.
    The weather seems to be presenting challenges across hemispheres, let’s hope it settles down. So far it’s been a very mild Autumn with the odd gales or two but generally dry. I think NZ is getting our rainfall. Australia seems to be having a very unusual Spring.
    Nama- I hope your electricity problems are sorted. We are lucky and rarely have power cuts. I hope I haven’t just tempted fate!
    RT- I think pay back from children on the financial front is a nice idea but a little weak in reality. Our kids are saddled with huge University loans which will takes decades to pay off. One is still on a very low salary in NZ and the other is living the high life in London, neither can ‘save’ very much. The caravan weekend breaks sound great.
    PVE- have a lovely time at the beach, green with envy.

Keep fasting guys, have fun!

Pretty chilly actually Jo, but tonight the whole town turned out by the river to turn on the Christmas tree lights and watch fireworks set off from a barge in the river. Such a contrast to the same event (without fireworks) on Mull (Scotland ) last year, with warm clothes and mulled wine. 😊
    Fasted today. Dinner out tomorrow.
    Try to include a couple of proper fasts a week Jo. You can fit them into a busy life. P

Morning/evening all,

I’m at home today nursing a poorly knee which I hurt while opening a window on the bus! Felt something pop at the back and I’ve sutained either a small tear at the top of my calf muslce or strained the ligament that attaches it to the joint. I’m following the PRICE rule, protect, rest, ice, compression and exercise. I don’t need the ice as the swelling is minimal but am wearing a knee support, resting with my leg raised and doing a few simple stretches every hour.
    I did it on the way to the gym yesterday and although it was painful for a minute or two when it occurred, it was fine afterwards. I did some stretches and started on the bike and continued with my usual workout as I felt no pain. I also has a long swim and lots of stretching afterwards with no pain or mobility issues but it became sore and stiff yesterday evening so I took an anti inflammatory. It is sore especially when attempting to straighten my knee but not unbearable and more of a nuisance than anything else as I was looking forward to the gym this morning.

Thankfully I have a couple of good books to keep me occupied. I’m reading The Age of Bowie by Paul Morley which the critics seem to think is the best of the bunch, and after reading an excerpt in the Observer food magazine I’ve bought Jeannette Winterson’s Christmas Days which is 12 personal stories each accompanied by a recipe.

My FD went awry yesterday :rollseyes: so I’m fasting today. I’ve just had some porage made traditionally with water and salt and served with a splash of milk and a teaspoon of homemade raspberry jam. I’ve tried making porage so many ways but this is definitely the method that produces the creamiest tastiest version.
    I’ve prepared some veggies which are marinading in seasoning, lemon zest and juice, lots of chopped parsley and a teaspoon of oil. They’ll be roasted for dinner.

Jo,
    Purple is right, no matter how busy you are you should be able to find time to do a couple of proper fasts every week. You also need to exercise your willpower muscle and say no to high calorie desserts on non FDs or give all of it to someone else. You can do it and when you get home from a night out and you’ve resisted temptation you’ll feel so much better than if you’ve given in. I know it’s hard but what other people are eating or think about you declining dessert is unimportant, come on you CAN do it 😘

Bad luck about the knee Amazon. It’s so frustrating how easily we can damage ourselves isn’t it?
    I’m concerned about your interpretation of first aid. Shouldn’t it be RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevate?(definitely not exercise). I followed this regime instantly, (and with elevate for 36 hours) when I fell (in a very public place) a couple of months ago. I tore an ankle. With this careful care (and a compression bandage for a month) the repair was far more successful than previous, similar, damage.
    Take care mate. P πŸ˜‘

Hi Purple,

It should say elevate not exercise :doh:

I was reading up on what to do and every article talked about resting for no more than a couple of days before exercising as muscle condition and strength can diminish so quickly so that is probably why I inadvertently typed exercise rather than elevate.

I did first aid training every year at work Amazon. It’s interesting how I instantly start whipping through the acronyms as I’m lying on the ground, injured!
    Definitely start exercising, but not until swelling has reduced. Then gently. The excercise helps to clear the bruising too. P

If I hurt myself I always aim to stay calm and assess it in the way I would have done before examining a patient but as I have a history of knee problems and have had two surgeries on the other one I had to force myself not to panic and think the worst.
    I am positive that if it was anything serious I wouldn’t have been able to do my workout yesterday. It feels tight and slightly uncomfortable at the back of my knee when I walk but it isn’t painful.
    I shall be erring on the side of caution and taking things easy.

Once biiten? I know what you mean. I have a history of serious ankle problems, so know how long any injury, even apparently slight, takes to heal. 😐
    I’m sure you know how much you can push yourself. Take care.
    Fasted yesterday. Walk on the beach, possibly a surf, then a special fancy dinner out tonight. We’ll only eat the best and leave the rest 😊😊 P

Sounds good, enjoy πŸ™‚

Just popped in for a minute to let you all know My lovely dad passed away this afternoon . One very special old man almost 99 and I never remember having a cross word with him . He had a stroke on Friday and had been unconscious since . We were there when he passed away slowly and gently been by his bedside since Friday just coming home for a quick freshen up . There is going to be such a big hole in my life .

LOve Wee xx

He’s at peace now Wee, after a long and happy life. Love to you, Jim and the family P xx

I am so very sorry Wee, what a wonderful man and Dad he sounds. Sending a big hug and special thoughts to you all. Xx

So sorry to hear this, Wee, he will leave a great gap in all your lives. Love and hugs. xxx

Weemam May your memories give you peace and comfort.Very sorry to hear of Dads passing he did sound like a true gentleman and cheeky character much love and big hugs with AOYP.
    RT

Big hugs to you, Wee. Love, Bay 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Wee,

I am so sorry for your loss. You were truly blessed to have such a good relationship with your lovely Dad for so many years. He will be sadly missed, but leaves many happy memories.

Hi Wee,

Sorry to hear of your sad loss. As Happy said you were blessed to have such a long and happy relationship with your Dad.
    Look after yourself XXX

Hi everyone,

A cold wintry day cheered up by blue sky and sunshine.
    I’ve been out and done the grocery shopping and got a few other errands out of the way so I can relax now.
    My knee is no longer swollen but feeling a bit sore so I put the support on first thing and will keep it on all day. It is a shame as it is a perfect day for a walk, but there are plenty of things to keep me busy at home.

The roads are really busy today, a combination of it being the weekend, tube problems and Black Friday. Apparenttly an estimated 10 million people in the UK will go shopping today and I don’t think that includes on-line sales 😲

Have a good weekend everybody 😜

Take care of that knee Amazon!!!
    The dinner was superb. 4 tiny exquisite courses, with matching wines. Can’t see us eating breakfast (or much lunch) tomorrow 😊😊P

Hi Purple,

Don’t worry, I’m sticking to sofa bound activities for the remainder of the day.
    Glad you enjoyed your dinner 😎

Hi all. I’ve only just registered on this sight after catching sight of myself in the mirror and feeling unhappy with what I saw. I’m not sure if I can just join in a group chat?? I hope it’s ok?

Hi Rachel(???)

You are welcome to join in with us. This is a mixed group from all over the globe, some maintaining and some still losing weight.
    If you’ve not fasted before it would be a good idea to get your hands on the fast diet book as it has lots of useful information.

There is also an information thread for new fasters which I can’t locate at the moment but I’m sure that simco will appear and post a link for you πŸ™‚

Ask any questions you like and someone will answer.
    The best advice I can give you is weigh and measure yourself, bust, waist, hips etc before you start. Sometimes the scales don’t move but the tape measure will tell you something is happening. Remember that this is a slow steady way to lose weight, and forgive yourself if you can’t get through a fast day as you can always try again tomorrow.

Good luck πŸ™‚

Rach, the “basics for newbies” is not an official thread by Dr M, it is just another chat thread by one of the many posters. All the threads give good advice and individual experience. Pick and choose from a range of people’s ideas, but definitely read The Fast Diet book and have a look at some of Dr Jason Fung’s YouTubes and his blog.
    This way of life is definitely worth embracing and that image in the mirror will start to be your reward 😊
    All the best P

Well it’s a been a cold and frosty end to the week up north, with the night frost persisting where the sun hasn’t shone.

I fasted on Tuesday, but Wednesday and Thursday were bad non-fast days, with too much afternoon snacking on too many corn cakes and nuts πŸ™ So I did another 24 hour fast today, broken with red wine and definitely not quarter TDEE. Should be good enough for maintenance though πŸ˜€

Hi Rach and welcome! I can sympathise with not liking your reflection, that and none of my clothes fitting/looking nice was pretty much where I started. It’s probably not an exaggeration to say 5:2/ intermittent fasting has been life changing.

Morning/evening all,

Another cold and frosty morning with blue sky and sunshine 🌞

Fasting hasn’t gone well the second half of the week but I’ll just keep trying. On two successive planned FDs I ended up eating nearer to half TDEE than a quarter. Not a disaster but disappointing. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Have a good one everybody 😜

Hello Wee, I drop in from time to time and I saw your message about your Dad… I have so enjoyed reading your stories about him… all the best in the coming weeks. Emel xx

Hi Amazon

Sounds as if you are listening to your body. Some days it’s good to go with the flow. 🌺🌺

Cheers, Bay

Hi everyone
    Thanks for the welcome. I’m grateful to have found this page. I take on your suggestions to grab the book. I’ll have a look at the bookshop tomorrow.
    I tried 5:2 last year after watching Michael M doco. I lost a lot of cms although I fell off that wagon as I have some chronic health difficulties for an extended period of time. Now that my health has stabilised I want to get back on board.
    I have been eating 5:2 mostly for 9 weeks. Again I lost a great amount of cms off my waist and stomach but not anywhere else, I’ve not lost any kgs. I did finally invest in some food scales just this week as I think my estimations must be off.
    Any ideas I’ll be very grateful for.
    Thanks again everyone πŸ™‚
    Rach

Hello All, welcome Rach it’s good to have a new by on the thread. sounds like you have received some great advice. I have been doing 5:2 or variations for over 2 years now but I can honestly say I only succeeded in losing for 6 months and have yoyoed since. I am sticking it out though because I have much better health and fitness and feel great. Lost 2.5 lbs this week which surprises me as it’s been all about the meals out for Christmas, lots of socialising. I have been very good about daily exercise though, walking, swimming and bowling. I attend dance class 3 times per week now which is a great workout.
    Wee- so sorry to hear your news. Be kind to yourself. We are always here to support you.
    Amazon- hope your knee is getting better.
    The dessert I ate half of was only peaches and one scoop of vanilla ice cream not not too calorific. I am avoiding all the high cal options.
    Sorry I am not posting much at the moment but I am really busy. I braved Black Friday to get a laptop Β£100 off. It wasn’t too busy at my local stores.

Thanks Bay πŸ™‚

I’m trying very hard not to see such events as failure as that can lead to comfort eating. I’ve never achieved anything other than by the hard route so I guess this is par for the course πŸ˜‰

Amazon,

“I’m trying very hard not to see such events as failure…”.

Get a grip!! How much weight have you lost in total?! Hmmm, the odd failed fast or two IS NOT failure!! πŸ˜€

I know but my weight is no lower than it was a year ago and I’m getting a bit frustrated with my inability to get over the final few hurdles.
    I have no intention of giving up though…… πŸ™‚

No, I should hope you won’t give up! You might not have reached the (arbitrary) goal you set yourself, but you’re fit, healthy and no longer overweight, and I think you must qualify as a successful maintainer. Seems to be quite a lot to applaud and celebrate there 😁

Thanks πŸ™‚

I know I’ve done well, but I’ve got most of the way there so many times and then lost my way and am finding it very frustrating that I can’t stick with it to get to goal.

I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment. I’ll get over it.

Hi Fast Trackers & Welcome New Fasters And Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) Monday fast day already still fascinating to me how the body can and indeed does adapt to fasting and even though I have personally proved that the longer you go the less hungry you are and therefore easier to sustain the profile.
    Great read when we need some mojo back look here !!
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/caloric-reduction-vs-fasting-part-9/

β€œit’s not who you are that holds you back it’s who you think your not”
    β€œIt’s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Morning RT
    I’m about to start my fasting Monday with a walk on the beach. Dolphins frolicking, soft pink clouds in the sky, birds singing all around. Why would you waste your time eating breakfast? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    Have a good one. P

Thanks for posting the link RT πŸ™‚

I was laughing for quite a while at CRaP which is exactly what calorie controlled weight loss diets are…..

It get me every time πŸ˜†

Hi all.
    Sorry to read you are a bit flat Amazon, perhaps your knee (and frustration!) contributed to that?
    Purple your beach walk sounds wonderful, send some of those pink clouds down South please!
    I also want to thank you RT for that timely link. I have allowed a bit of sugar back into my diet recently and am certain it has affected my insulin/hunger levels. Too much pre Christmas socializing and cooking! The damn stuff is certainly addictive, the more you have the more you want!

Dr Fung is so inspiring, that read shook me up enough to get firmly back on the right track. I have three social events this week, but now plan to do some serious (36hr) fasts in between. This little bunny has no intention of not being able to fit into size 12!!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.