Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,751 through 1,800 (of 7,277 total)

• Well I’m fasting today too.

I wish you hadn’t posted that link RT – I looked at the brownie and flat bread recipes…And now I’m hungry and thinking about nuts, chocolate and chickpeas…

RT, there is an active 8 week BSD forum. I suspect plenty of people are still doing it as a kick start to weight loss/ to reverse diabetes. I’m not sure I’d agree it’s so last year. It’s just not aimed at you and me and, as we aren’t doing it, it’s not really on our radars/ we’re not actively looking for information on it and perhaps are less aware of it?

Jo, I hope you’ve got your eating back under control again now? Just a thought – if you haven’t weighed yourself since the start of March (and bearing in mind we’re a quarter of the way through April), how are you going to know if your April challenge to lose 4lbs has worked or not?!

Doh, crossing posts… I started typing after Amazon’s post!! Bit slow, one fingered on my phone ๐Ÿ˜

Well the sky is still clear blue,the ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž is still shining and it is very warm. So much for the weather forecast ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think I worked the overdose of wine out of my system at the gym and certainly feel good for forcing myself out of bed this morning when my eyes didn’t want to open……

I’m still pondering on the 700/800 calorie regime and I can’t understand why so many have problems sticking to 500/600. Is it lack of willpower or sugar/carb addiction or both? Is it associating the mid morning/afternoon break, or sitting down with a cuppa with having a snack? Is it lack of knowledge regarding human physiology?
    All of the above?

We’ve all occasionally had a FD that is tougher than usual but on the whole it gets easier with time. Is it because we’ve all made changes to our diets that we aren’t wailing with hunger every FD with no prospect of any respite?
    It would be nice to think it is because we are all superwomen/men but sadly that isn’t the case.

It would also appear from reading posts elsewhere on this site that a lot of people start 5:2 without reading the book which is a mistake IMO and/or don’t think about how they got to be overweight/obese in the first place or consider making changes to their eating habits in order to keep the weight off. It’s only a few quid and after that the only money anyone will spend is on smaller clothes!

I’m not criticising anyone especially in light of the fact that I’ve fallen off the wagon a few times, I’m just trying to figure out why some people have so many issues with following this WOE.

Off to bed after another fast day.
    Amazon, I struggle every fast day, but know it is the only way to stay in maintenance. I think about food frequently and have to make sure I’m kept warm with warm clothes and hot black coffee. Keeping busy helps, but it staggers me how quickly my brain can wander to the thought of food.
    I know hunger doesn’t grow during the day and I know I’ll easily survive 36 hours on 400 cals, but I still have to do lots of self talk and avoidence strategies after almost 4 years.
    I also don’t see the point of 800 cals when the whole point is to reduce eating.
    In RT’s article it talks about Dr M skipping breakfast, then lists the 3 meals he eats. Doesn’t make sense or was I too busy thinking about food today to read it properly? ๐Ÿ˜
    To bed. Hopefully to sleep.
    Night P

well I’ve never seen any research to explain the significance of quarter TDEE/500 calories anyway. Obviously it works! But is it significantly different from 0/300/800 calories?
    If you’re goal is weight loss only, then any calorie deficit should work, albeit your rate of loss will vary.
    If your goal is health, again, what difference 0/300/500/800 calories? Presumably the lower your intake the better. But then factor in what food you eat fast and non-fast days.. even at 300 calories, carbs/sugars will be less beneficial than fats.

So many variables, not enough research!

For me personally, it boils down to eating more on a fast day equals more fast days and/ or stricter non-fast days. I think I’d rather take the hit on the fast day. Hunger doesn’t kill you. In fact it’s liberating to realise I can cope perfectly well for 24-36 hours (or more) with very little/no food!

Hi HappyNow. Re your comments about the significance of 500 cal Fast Days. I believe Michael Mosley, following his research on fasting recognised that for most of us a true fast would be beyond most people so he pitched a quarter of the average total daily calorie requirements of people being achievable two days a week. He was not far wrong was he?. On going research by people such as Mark Mattson, Valter Longo, Krista Varady et al also show that there are internal health benefits by fasting in various ways, water only fasting or with various small amounts of calorie intakes and food types, ie low carb, low protein, high fat etc. It is interesting to note how the dietary intake of many modern western societies such as America has seen a massive increase of killer diseases such as heart disease and Type2 Diabetes since the Second World War. Both attributed to the increases in unhealthy eating pushed by the Food and Medical Industries. During that war, with rationing, low meat, little or no sugar and high intakes of vegetables, the general populations health was better than it has ever been since then.
    Like you I take the hit on a Fast Day. Interestly for me, I find on some fast days it is less of a challenge to have a water only fast of 36 hrs that a 600 calorie fast as after eating food I soon have the challenge of believing I am hungry again.
    Good luck to you.

Hi Couscous,

I realise 5-600 is doable, but possibly a little arbitrary if there is no research comparing 0/300/500/800 (health benefits, weight loss)?

Re: luck. After 3 years maintaining successfully, intermittent fasting is a way of a life, and something I miss during times when I’ve maintained without the need for fasting! I think it just suits some people more than others.

Hi HappyNow, actually there is now available evidence to show the health and weight loss benefits of certain calorific value fasting. “The Newcastle Diet”, developed by Prof Roy Taylor at Newcastle University is an 800 cal a day diet aimed at eliminating T2 Diabetes and it works over 8 to 12 weeks. Consists of a 600 cal diet drink and 200 cals of salading.Initial trials with 11 people had an almost 100% success rate. Trials with 300 participants are believed to be ongoing. Dr Jason Fung has developed a diet aimed at T2 Diabetes also but that is a mix of water fasting and low cal eating.
    Valter Longo who Michael Mosley got many of his “Light Bulb” 5:2 fasting ides from has, following research developed and is about to market a diet called “The Fast Mimmicking Diet”. This consists of a basket of various types of foodstuffs eaten over 5 days, I believe day 1-900 cals, days 2-5 750 cals with measured amounts of proteins, carbs and fats. The cost of this product is to be marketed at around ยฃ225.00.He states that this will give both internal and weight loss benefits that mimick water fasting.
    Personally I will stick with what I have got and know.
    Good Luck.
    Good Luck.

Yes, I’m aware of Newcastle/BSD and FMD. Do we assume then that 800 calories twice a week will result in the same benefits as 800 calories/day for 8 weeks or roughly 800 calories/day for 5 days, nutritionally optimised? One suspects not.

And the fact that BSD and FMD both work doesn’t address my point. There is as far as I’m aware no data comparing 0/500/800 calories on a 5:2 regime?

Happy,
    You are quite right, I won’t know weight until Sunday so I will be one week short on April. Not too worried as it’s going well this week plus I am doing 3 fasts per week of 500 calls so this should be ok for goal.

I got held up in traffic this morning so missed kettle bell class by 5 minutes, popped in to apologise to teacher. Observed Class which was very full on aerobic and I was quite pleased to sit out. Before my aerobic dance class it would not have been a good idea especially as the air conditioning was not working(again).

My Nordic Walking Group ( 9 this week) made excellent progress on their first week. Several had very low fitness levels so only walked for 30 minutes, others dropped out later when tired and only 3 made the full 90 minutes. I only demonstrated alternate and double poling. Hopefully they will all be back next week having done some practise.

PVE- I have more problems in the evening after having eaten than fasting for the rest of the day, ludicrous after all this time of doing this way of life. I don’t know why I can’t kick the desire to snack. I very rarely give in to it but it is still a strong urge.

Amazon- I am always amazed at what some people at on non fast days. McDonalds take aways for example. You couldn’t pay me to eat it. But every time I see Apple Crumble on the dessert list at bowls club I have to fight the urge to have it. I think I have beaten it now but it’s taken awhile.

Barata- glad to hear you are back to the 4 day week. Good to hear you met up with Wiwi.

Jo,

I can’t kick the desire to snack, but my weak time is about 3pm sat at my desk… I’m fine on a fast day, but non-fast days are challenging.

I’m very envious of your exercise. I’m going to have to take a half day off work today because I couldn’t sit down this morning. OH has been away, and unfortunately the animals won’t look after themselves. Too much bending, twisting and lifting has set me back again ๐Ÿ™

Re: your April challenge. I guess so long as you drop somewhere around 3lbs off next weekend’s weight you’ll know you’ve lost at least 4!

I’m looking forward to breaking today’s fast with a spicy frittata. Just trying to hold off so I don’t get hungry again before bedtime (and MasterChef won’t help with that!).

When I was leaving the gym this morning at 11.15, one of the instructors was taking food orders from the other staff as he was going to McDonalds. I could hardly believe my ears especially in light of the food choices available locally.
    There is nothing wrong with the beefburger but everything else, the iceberg lettuce, tasteless tomato, gloopy dressing and sweet pappy bun that turns into a ball that sticks to the roof of the mouth…….. disgusting!
    Oh and I nearly forgot the plastic cheese. It is more than 30 years since I tried one but I still remember it with horror.

I like apple crumble but it isn’t easy to find a good one unless it is homemade. My love of cooking and baking have worked to my advantage as I just won’t order dessert in most places as I know I’ll be disappointed.

I am so lucky that I’ve never been one for snacking in the evenings although it was probably because I’d eaten so much during the day I couldn’t force another mouthful in!
    Once I’ve had dinner I rarely think of eating unless it is a difficult FD and then I have a hot drink and go to bed ๐Ÿ˜†

I found myself thinking about sushi on the way home from the gym. I guess that’ll be my treat when I get home from Norfolk after Easter.

Happy, I’m sorry to hear you are still struggling with your back. I hope it improves soon.

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Q. What happens to a frogโ€™s car when it breaks down?
    A. It gets toad away.
    A man walks into a shop and sees a cute little dog. He asks the shopkeeper, โ€œDoes your dog bite?โ€
    The shopkeeper says, โ€œNo, my dog does not bite.โ€
    The man tries to pet the dog and the dog bites him. โ€œOuch!โ€ He says, โ€œI thought you said your dog does not bite!โ€
    The shopkeeper replies, โ€œThat is not my dog!โ€
    Q. Why did the lion brake up with his girlfriend?
    A. Cuz she was a CHEETAH!
    Snake 1: โ€˜Are we poisonous?โ€™
    Snake 2: โ€˜I donโ€™t know, why?โ€™
    Snake 1: โ€˜I just bit my lip.โ€™
    Q. What did the elephant say to the naked man?
    A. โ€œHow do you breathe through something so small?โ€
    A man went to sell his dog. A buyer asked him, โ€œIs this dog faithful?โ€
    The man replied, โ€œYes,I have sold him 3 times but he returns to me.โ€
    Q. Why did the duck get arrested?
    A. because he was selling quack
    Q: What did the duck say when he bought lipstick?
    A: โ€œPut it on my bill.โ€
    There was a papa mole, a momma mole, and a baby mole. They lived in a hole out in the country near a farmhouse. Papa mole poked his head out of the hole and said, โ€œMmmm, I smell sausage!โ€ Momma mole poked her head outside the hole and said, โ€œMmmm, I smell pancakes!โ€ Baby mole tried to stick his head outside but couldnโ€™t because of the two bigger moles. Baby mole said, โ€œThe only thing I smell is molasses.โ€
    A snake slithers into a bar and the bartender says, โ€˜Sorry, buddy. I canโ€™t serve you.โ€™
    โ€˜Why not?โ€™ the snake asks.
    โ€˜Because you canโ€™t hold your liquor.โ€™

Have A Happy Weekend All You beautiful Losers ๐Ÿ˜†
    Peace RT

Sunshine and RT’s Friday jokes – what a bright, cheering day ๐Ÿ™‚

Evening Guys,
    RT-That dog biting joke was from a Pink Pantha Film, I believe it was in a used iin a shop near the Bavarian castle, Cluso entered dressed up as a Dentist, he kept pulling the wrong teeth of the madman ex Police Comandant. They both got drunk on laughing gas and Cluso’s rubber face transformation melted, it was a brilliantly funny film. I can visualise it now, thanks for the memory, still smiling.

Happy- No TV for me this month so I will miss the temptation that is Masterchef. Trying to break my inactive habits. Spent this evening potting up inpatients, I bought far too many plugs but will use some at my Plant Swap in May. Also picked some Euphorbias which had self seeded, hope they will be wanted, great plants for drought conditions.
    When I worked full time I got up very early to swim or do a gym workout before I started. It was horrible leaving the house at 6 am but I knew I wouldn’t have the energy to do much after work. It’s a real pleasure to enjoy sport and leisure in my retirement, feels very indulgent. I just wish it impacted on my weight more than it seems to do.
    I hope my back will be OK tomorrow, lots of lugging of big bags of soil today. I am usually OK with twists, it’s weights that ‘do for me’ yet I am always careful to bend at the knees and lift properly. I hope your back improves soon, it’s really gets irritating when your freedom to move is restricted. Did you get a foam topper for your mattress, mine is a Godsend apart from it being too warm. I have to leave my feet out in the cold or I can’t sleep. I have suffered with hot feet since pregnancy, 30 years now, weird or what? They were always cold before that. I have changed my bedroom curtains to a dark colour for summer, already getting an extra hours sleep, amazing.

Fasting tomorrow, another very busy day of exercise plus some dreaded housework.

Good Luck on your fasts everyone, thinking of you.

Jo,

Exercise doesn’t help with weight loss, but it has a myriad of other benefits. You’ll outlive us all!

I’ve been a memory foam convert for well over 10 years now, to the extent that all the beds including guest rooms have pocket-sprung memory foam mattresses now. Guests uniformly report a great night’s sleep so I guess it’s money well spent!

We have dark curtains in the bedroom too, but no curtains or blinds in the hall or downstairs (we’re not overlooked by anyone so seems unnecessary!). So while I could sleep OK in summer, the cats know it’s light early…And then think they need to tell us ๐Ÿ™ Even shutting them out of the room doesn’t help! One scrabbles at the door and the 20 year old has a very loud yowl!

Good luck Friday fasters. An unusual two fast week for me is over, just need a good mindful non-fast day now!

Morning/evening all,

Another fine morning ๐Ÿ™‚

My cats used to sleep on my bed ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I can sleep anywhere regardless of how much light or not there is in the room. I think it comes from years of on-call and 24 hour shifts and getting used to snatching some sleep whenever possible.
    My memory foam mattress is so much more comfortable than its orthopaedic predecessor and my body is much happier for it.

Off to the gym soon and then out with ex-colleagues tonight so I’m fasting until this evening.

Have a good weekend everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

I forgot to say thanks to RT for the Friday funnies ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Amazon,

The cats DO sleep on the bed, although I’m always surprised they don’t get seasick riding the duvet waves as OH tosses and turns! …And of course that’s another good reason to have memory foam on all the beds – I can kick him out or escape if the snoring/thrashing around gets too bad ๐Ÿ˜

I envy your ability to sleep. I’m getting worse at sleeping, except in my own bed! Memory foam at home spoils you for other people’s spare beds/hotels. And it’s eerily silent and dark where we are, so even relatively low level light and noise where other people live disturbs me ๐Ÿ™

I do have the occasional restless night but it is usually when I’m mulling over something complicated that life has chucked at me and not having the daily stress and strain of working has made a huge difference.

I’ve slept in some dodgy beds in even dodgier places on my travels but I’m usually so tired it makes little difference!

Happy and Amazon,

With the daily physical exercise I get I should always sleep well but it’s not the case. Some nights I am just not tired either physically or mentally. Other nights I sleep like the dead between bathroom visits, usually two. Actually I have noticed that I have got away with one bathroom visit most nights lately. Maybe another good side effect of Kefir.

I have been trying new teas lately as my gym do not always stock blackberry and nettle. Quite like their apple tea. It’s only Chamomile or peppermint I don’t enjoy.

Stopped having tea with honey due to the sugar hit, not missing it.

Thank you all for getting me started on making yogurt, I have not looked back. PVE- the dried milk powder certainly helps it set thicker. My friend puts squirty ‘no sugar’ fruit baby food in hers to add flavour. I think I prefer whole berries and nuts/linseed, more interesting texture.

Jo, I usually get up to wee two to 3 times. I rarely sleep well, no matter how physically exhausted I am. Last week, however, after a savoury galette and black coffee in the city at 9pm, after a film, I slept all night really soundly. The next night, after a fast day, I was totally awake until 1:30pm (3 hours later than normal shuteye) and up again 3 more times. Weight in the morning…the lowest it had been in weeks.
    My conclusion…if I ate late at night, I’d be able to sleep better. I can’t do that as I’d be eating too much.
    I’ve picked up a sore throat somewhere, so won’t be able to enjoy the gorgeous weather today. ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜‘
    Sleep well UK fasters. Happy weekend Eastern Hemisphere folk. ๐Ÿ™„P

The city council has just purchased a block of land for about $1m, on the west side of Tawa valley (for those of you who know Wellington). The plan is to develop walking and biking trails through the bush and pine forest, linking up with other tracks in the area, and building on the bird corridor north and south. Today was a guided walk up the base track, a lovely, slightly challenging and slippery 1 1/2 hour scramble up and down. Thought of you, Wiwi – after the event!

I’m grateful that neither OH nor I needs to get up during the night for the short visit. Saying that, another disturbed night – MUST take that sleeping pill on Friday night! The cat can be a warm lump beside my legs, which doesn’t help.

Hi HappyNow. Just a late reply to your very valid question re the 500 – 800 cal Fast Day issue. Having done a little research like yourself I do agree with you re no quantative research can be found to compare the effects. I wonder if researchers think there are more pressing issues re other forms of fasting in terms of health, weight loss etc. I do believe Michael Moseley has commented that for some 5:2 ers 800 cals may not make much difference but that comment is based only on his knowledge and research based on 500 – 600 cal fast days. I firmly believe that the present 5:2 WOL is now a recognised base line for a health and weight loss life style readily achievable for most people.
    Good Luck.

Couscous- I think the main priority with fasting and healthy eating is reducing carbs and sugar permanently to achieve weight loss and reduce insulin resistance. I am certain that this has been the cause of my weight loss issues for years but I was unaware of the effects of eating my healthy apple three times per day or drinking sweet fruit teas. They were holding me back even though I was controlling calories.

I just have zero tolerance for sweet foods now but the message is getting through and urges are less. It would be great to get through a day without an unhealthy urge, now that would be a reward.

PVE- I have my dinner at 7 pm now as opposed to 6 pm and I drink my small cup of Kefir before bed and first thing. Even having it on fast days now. The health benefits are more important to me than the calories. Slept without interruption last night, bliss.

It was a common habit in this country to have a milky drink at night to improve sleep. My mother did it every night, Bournvita- very sweet malted drink, she always slept well. Not recommending sweet drinks though.

I know my finger nails are finally beginning to improve with more calcium and less swimming. That Chlorine really damages nails even if protected by clear gloss or Vaseline.

Sun is shining so I will be gardening all day, so many weeds to pull. Dog walk and dance class will give me some respite though. Enjoy the Grand National Folks I may put a bet on and listen on my radio. I hope no horses get injured.

Good Morning Everyone,
    I am typing with difficulty this morning as I received a digit injury in the garden yesterday. There was much swearing to be heard. I was moving a large paving slab and pinched my finger as I put it down. It is very black, swollen and hot today, ouch! Of course it is right at the end where the nerves congregate so throbbing nicely.

What is it about finger injuries and this thread? Barata- how is your decapitation healing?

My dog also ripped out a claw yesterday, chasing his ball, so I had to call the mobile vet. They were here in 15 minutes, incredible. An inspection revealed no bones broken so a pain injection was given and all is well. ยฃ46 bill but my vet was closed so no choice. It was bleeding profusely so I had to get it checked in case he had done something worse.

Of course I now have an excuse for being one pound ‘up’ (could have been worse but dissapointed) on the beginning of March(Yes!, March), obviously increase is down to swelling, trauma, stress, pain, stupidity and finally lack of will power. As a response tomorrow will be ‘zero’calorie fast and I will only have a cheese salad at my bowls match today. Yes the finger injury will effect my bowling too. The good news is I got loads done in the garden yesterday and am very pleased with the progress. It wasn’t all good as after my injury I managed to drop an entire tray of newly planted busy Lizzie’s, they landed upside down, so after replanting they look a bit the worse for wear, like me and my dog.

Barrata and Wiwi- my daughter went to a very fancy French Cafe for her birthday tea, it was by Lampton Quay, she was really impressed. We must try it out next visit. She has made lots of new friends in Wellington from all around the world, she loves it.

Weather still bright here but not that warm so I will do some fence and wooden planter painting this morning. Have a great day and all power to your elbow on the fasting front next week.

One pound? That’s only within normal daily body fluctuation Jo. It is whether the next day is up another or down that gives a better idea.
    Sorry to hear about your finger. My throat is wreaking havoc with me. We ARE in the wars, aren’t we?
    Enjoy your bowls. P

Indeed, one data point with no data for the last 6 weeks is meaningless and can’t be relied upon as am accurate measure of your current weight Jo. So don’t be disheartened or look for excuses…Yet!

Perhaps the reason so many people find weighing themselves depressing is just because they don’t do it right ๐Ÿ˜

Sorry to hear about the finger (Jo) and sore throat (P). Fingers crossed you both get better quickly.

I had a nice short walk (only about 5km) up over the hill yesterday (fields are full of little lambs now, and saw one having a sleep on Mum’s back – too cute!). I’m very unfit at the mo, but it seemed to help my back. The radiating pains, including the bothersome one to my knee, were back in my back last night. Always a good sign when the pain is once more a point on the spine, so fingers crossed I’m on the mend!

It’s another beautiful warm sunny day,
    so some gentle gardening again today…More seed sowing and spuds in I think…no digging yet… And another walk this afternoon I think. So frustrating to be incapacitated! I’d love to be running but that’s going to have to wait at least a couple of weeks I think ๐Ÿ™

Have a good day all.

It’s fascinating how you “over there” start gardening in spring, while we do it in autumn when the heat of summer has passed.
    Glad to hear you were about to get active, even if tentatively, Happy. P

Good morning,
    The weather has been beautiful the last couple days. The birds are noisier than usual and not terribly sticky hot.
    Sorry about your accident Jo! Why aren’t you carrying heavy stuff around. Can’t you just wait for hubby to come home and give you a hand.
    Happy it is terrible when you want to be active and your body speaks back to you,
    I did x-rays and ultra sound from both knees and left should and there was nothing wrong with them. My right knee is slightly better but my should depending on certain movements a feeel something’s not wright. A keep walking and biking because a don’t feel pain while so.
    Meanwhile my sciatica after 15 months is not bothering me anymore. Go figure!
    Sleep – I am a first decent com the cave man. My sleep is very light and I wake up many times at night. I am the guard of the house.
    I told my OBGYN about it and she said that hormones play a role here. Also I started bioidentical hormones creams and a natural anti anxiety pill (passiflora). That pop smear that gave the scare of my life last year turned out to be a false alarm.
    Enjoy your Sunday and Hsppy Fasting for those on the land of tomorrow ๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ’‹

Hi everyone,

It’s a scorcher here, 23C in April ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐ŸŒž

I had the hangover from hell yesterday and all because the new “place to be on the river” pub served me a G&T in a pint ale glass with a straw (I am not kidding) so I switched to wine. I didn’t drink much but mixing grape and grain without eating dinner was a very unwise move……

On the bright side, I caught up with several ex-colleagues some of whom I’ve not seen since I gave up work which is 4 and 1/2 years ago. One has had a second child, another has recently married and a third is getting married in two weeks time. They were all delighted to see me which was really heartening especially as I was their manager. We had a really good time despite the inefficiencies and lack of knowledge/training of the bar staff one of whom did not know the difference between ale and lager (raises eyes heavenward)
    I won’t be going back to the pub again and if anyone asks I won’t be recommending it which is a shame as it is situated on a beautiful part of the Thames affording views of the old Harrods storehouse and Hammersmith bridge with transport links a few minutes walk away.

Despite the hangover I managed a few chores and got all the washing done and when it was safe to bend over without feeling nauseous ๐Ÿ™ƒ I did some weeding and watering in my little garden which is looking lovely with daffodils, narcissus, tulips, hyacinth, bluebells (and the white variety) and various Alpines all in bloom.

The veg drawer in the fridge was packed and as I’m going away for Easter I decided to use as much of it as possible. I’ve made a huge vat of curry using my stock pot which has yielded 8 x 300 calorie portions of mixed veg (onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, potato, sweet potato, tomato, leek, celeriac, parsnip, carrot, capsicum, kale, spring greens, cauliflower), chick pea and black eyed bean curry made from scratch starting with roasting the spices and making a paste.
    I shall be sampling it this evening and the remainder has been stashed in the fridge and the freezer.

I always have bruises and cuts somewhere and half the time have no idea where they’ve come from although the huge purple painful bruise just below my knee was sustained when I bashed my leg on the steps of the pool ๐Ÿ˜ข

Jo, I hope your finger gets better soon.
    Happy, don’t overdo it.

I like the contention that some people don’t know how to weigh themselves properly, I find keeping one foot on the floor helps ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

Hi Fast Trackers
    Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The wet weather has set in this weekend and we had our one year old granddaughter princess for a Saturday and a sleep over as her parents had a wedding on and it was her father and our eldest sons 32 birthday yesterday family is good the 4th son arrived home unexpectedly on Friday night which blew our minds and rocked our worlds a really good buzz in the house I took my mother in law to Adelaide for some medical appointments during the week and you have to pass through a small township of Coonalpyn a small rural country town that is slowing fading away so the towns folk got together with the arts development board to see what can create some interest so engaged a mural artist Guido van Helte to paint the grain Silos a massive project and undertaking but soo good its empowering have a look here.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-25/coonalpyn-silo-artist-guido-van-helten-finishes-project/8380546
    OK
    Monday fast day letโ€™s get our fast on people

โ€œItโ€™s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once startedโ€

Peace RT

RT,

Thank you for the Cooralpyn link. You have just made an ordinary Perth Monday morning so much brighter. Its so good to see something so uplifting after the atrocities in St Petersburg and Stockholm.

Val

The grain silos at Coonalpyn were a wonderful initiative RT. Unfortunately that piece between Murray Bridge and Mt Gambier has been missed on our many ramblings. Have to add it to the list.
    Glad you had a happy family get together despite the rain. We had brilliant weather all weekend, then last night cold south westerlies rushed in bringing a taste of winter. Did you send them? I expect Bay and Nama are rugged up today too.
    Lots of warm clothes for Monday’s fast ๐ŸคP

Hi all, from a wild, wet and windy place in Victoria…we are having an Easter getaway early and are beachside at a tiny village in Gippsland, an area known as the 90 mile beach. Fortunately we got some sunshine yesterday as the storms worsened overnight and we are now inside reading by the wood heater. Cant complain, got a really good walk in yesterday and the coffee is good.

RT did you realize there is now something known as the ‘Silo Art Trail’- a total of 6 are now finished or in progress. I think Guido’s work is by far the best. He did the first one at Brim in Victoria (North of Horsham in the Wimmera). We aim to see them all, so thanks for recommending Coonalpyn – it will be next. Its a wonderful way for these towns to regenerate isn’t it? The artists’ talent is amazing to me, Guido van Helten especially, the way he captures facial expression on such a large ‘canvas’

I hope everyones injuries are healing and your lurgie is improving Purple. I am like you Amazon, always a puncture hole or a bruise somewhere! I blame my clumsy gene or the fact I can only see out of one eye!!

Well we are off for a walk between downpours – taking an umbrella though! Mondays fast will now be on Wednesday, I find its better just to be ‘sensible’ when away, no point in aiming too high!!

Have a great week all…..

Hi Purple, our posts crossed – yes thanks, well rugged up!
    There is now a map of the six silos – worth a trip dedicated to them.

Sounds like a great excuse for another road trip Nama ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    Still working my way through the bug, thanks…I mastered sleeping sitting almost upright last night!
    Enjoy your early break…a good book and a fire..all you need now is a good red ๐Ÿท (perhaps a little later ๐Ÿ˜Š) P

Oh that must have been a mean bug Purple!! Glad you are nearly over it.
    Definitely see the silos, well worth it and a great excuse for a drive!
    https://g.co/kgs/7NDp7L Brim is my favourite, but have not seen Coonalpyn yet!

Thanks guys it really is something to behold isn’t it.? Nama I had no-idea there where 6 works on trial that is wow wow wow the Brim silo is crazy good hey !!
    RT

Morning/evening all,

Sunshine and blue sky but at 9C somewhat cooler that yesterday’s 25C, but it’ll go up to around 15C which is fine for spring ๐Ÿ™‚
    Busy day today as my car is going for its annual service etc, perfectly timed before my long drive on Friday, and then I’m off to the gym. I have been avoiding it on a Monday as it was always so crowded but I figure it’ll be quieter so close to Easter.

I’ve got pink watery eyes and there is a lot of sneezing going on, fortunately it’s only hay fever ๐Ÿ˜•

FD for me too,

Hi Purple

Rugged up and enjoying ourselves. ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบโ›ณ๏ธโ›ณ๏ธโ›ณ๏ธโ›ณ๏ธโ›ณ๏ธ I have a head cold and OH has a chest cold. We are in the middle of two weeks golf in the North of New Zealand. Lots of rain and floods here. With sunshine in between.

RT, Thanks for loading the Cootalpyn silo artist link. Looks fabulous for our next trip. Is there a list of all locations?

Cheers, Bay ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธ

Good Morning Fasters,

Sunny morning here so more fence painting planned later this arvo, there a lot of fence to do, tall pickets are a nightmare. My finger is black and numb now, not sure if that’s good or bad but not hot and less swelling. HCB – the reason I was moving the slab is because my hubby has ‘not’ done it in the three months I have been asking him to do it. I am not usually clumsy, it was trying to negotiate through a gate that caused the problem. Having injured myself I left the slab by the gate where it will remain until I get fed up and attempt to move it again to its final home. I may just hit it with a sledge hammer.

The bowls game yesterday was great, we lost by one point but every player was ‘on’ their game. It was a pleasure to watch and be part of, especially their Skip’s game which was nothing short of miraculous, he saved many a shot with very accurate firing. He was a very experienced bowler and County Umpire, only 85, quite young by some standards Ha Ha! I was the youngest player by 10 years. Very friendly touring team from Essex that raise a lot of money for Individual charities, e.g. Electric wheel chairs, sports strip for disability teams, computers for disadvantaged kids. The team were originally made up from ‘meat and fish porters’ and their partners (now all retired )they only raffle the finest ‘kippers’. I won a pair and very much look forward to eating them tomorrow.

RT and Nama- those silos are amazing. They have quite a lot of street art in New Zealand, I love it. Every town needs its tourist attraction, we have Dicken’s ‘Bleak House’. In fact we have a whole week of Dickens events in June, local people dress in Victorian costume and parade around the town. It’s quite surreal.

Happy- checked scales today to confirm yesterday’s weight, correct as recorded. I use same scales, on the same tile in the bathroom, only weigh in the morning before eating or drinking and after body function routine. What more can I do to get an accurate reading? Take an average over 3 days? This would mean daily weighing again which I now think is ‘over the top’. Amazon- I agree one leg off the scale is great, goal achieved. Ha Ha!

PVE and Happy- Wishing you both well soon. PVE – Sounds like your Kefir is not doing a great job on your immunity. Happy- using Nordic Poles when walking keeps the strain out of your knees, hips and back, might be worth a try?

Have a great day everyone. Zero cal today, wish me luck!

Bay,
    Sorry posts crossed
    Wishing you and hubby well too.
    I wasn’t too impressed with weather in New Zealand on my trip either. Far north was great on my previous trip, ah! Sun bathing on Christmas Day, bliss!
    Enjoy your trip, beautiful place.
    Xxxxxxx

In fact Jo, the kefir is probably working as I could have been a lot worse. โ˜บ I had my ‘flu shot last week, so it could be the culprit.
    I don’t have kefir every day. Mr P does. I don’t have it on fast days and often forget other days. I make it up in the mornings and as I don’t eat breakfast, I have to wait until evening.
    Bay, hope your bug goes quickly and you enjoy NZ. I’m in front of the fire, avoiding the cold winds off the snow that fell in the Snowys. Early, so the skiers will be happy.
    P

Hi everyone,

This thread reads like a sick list at the moment ๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿค’
    GET WELL SOON EVERYONE โ˜บ

I was at the gym by 9am despite the garage being a couple of miles in the opposite direction from home which was great as I got my workout done before it got too busy.

I had a chat with one of the staff regarding the range of products they’ve just started to sell, face cream, shower gel, aromatherapy oil etc. It is all natural stuff and the products have all been tested by the staff to ensure that everything is OK. It all looks really nice so I’m going to try some of the products when I run out of what I’m using at present. I forgot to ask for a price list so I might change my mind…….

Good Morning,

Hope you Girls Purple and Bay get well soon. Isn’t it because your weather is changing?
    I dind’t know Australia and NZ was so into arts like that. So beautiful. Learning all througha this thread.
    ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ go on the scale with on foot out. Doesn’t cost anything to dream and keep us moving. I wish!
    My SIL pretty much enjoyed just sitting by the pool in the sun. I am shocked about her breakfast. Around 10am she prepares a big bowl w/cereal, yogurt and mixed fruits then a plate with a cube of butter, cheese, ham and bread. Lastly a fried egg and 2 cups of coffee
    Sometime later she drinks some OJ, coffee w/something sweet around 3, her dinner is small and ice cream around 9pm.
    I am jealous! ๐Ÿ˜ก
    Better not think about it! I really don’t want to eat too little.
    The weather is beautiful.
    I will try at a 1/2Fast ๐ŸŒน
    Happy Fast Monday.

Trust me I’m a Doctor had some very interesting studies on SBS last night none more so than saccharin v stevia which concluded that saccharin pushed blood sugar up in general but stevia had a flat line response only a handful of people but interesting Im very sure our resident scientist Happy will add to this as required oh yes and extending the fasted window has health benifets without any restriction on menu yes its true ๐Ÿ˜†
    Hi Bay here is the silo trail map that Nama refered to plus of course the one here in South Australia at Coonalpyn
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-24/silo-trail-map/7961246
    Happy Tuesday
    Peace RT

HCB,
    As someone who has travelled around Australia and New Zealand I can assure you there is lots of art, both local and galleries plus lots of graffiti art. I loved the Maori and aboriginal art too. There was a real emphasis on interactive creativity too e.g. Lego Gallery and produce your own art areas. The Papa Museum in Wellington is incredible.

Fast day today has been really tough and very long. Spend 6 hours in the garden repotting flowers which were in big wooden pots, there were overrun with wood louse and snails. All repotted now. Feeling very tired tonight, struggled at Bridge, ready for shut eye.

RT- Roll on more research I say. I can always use help.

Happy Tuesday everyone

Good Morning,

Woke up very sluggish today, probably all that heavy lifting in the garden yesterday, found some new muscles and eyes feel gritty but I slept deeply. Also starving hungry to the point of nausea and body has not resumed normal functions so feeling bloated. Not a great result after a zero cal fast day, it usually leaves me feeling light. I will see if I can push through it today until dinner, weather bright at the moment so an early walk on the agenda. I have a stretch and relax class booked lunchtime so I might follow that with a swim. Keeping busy and active, that’s usually the answer.

Have a great day folks, for those poorly ones, speedy recovery.

Morning/evening all,

Another sunny morning ๐Ÿ™‚

I slept very well last night after a very busy FD and am raring to go this morning.

I hope the sick and ailing are all feeling better today.

I’m visiting friends this evening and my intention is to fast until then.
    I’ll be going to the gym again this morning and if the weather stays fine I might go for a walk this afternoon.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,751 through 1,800 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.