Just read Joel Furhman's book on fasting

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Just read Joel Furhman's book on fasting

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sivasankar 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Hi. I am new to this site and new to the plan. In addition to reading The Fast Diet book, I also read Furhman’s book on fasting. Keeping in mind his book was written in 1995, I wonder how truly effective a modified fast really is. I guess you could say I’m a little skeptical of the health claims of eating 500/600 calories a day during a “fast” and getting the same results as a true fast. Are there really studies that show that a modified fast works, or is it all merely anecdotal at this point?

Don’t get me wrong: I know this is great for losing and then maintaining weight. It makes perfect sense. What I’m not quite convinced of (yet) is that this can truly affect blood work, prevention of disease, etc, other than as a natural side effect of losing weight. It just seems counter-intuitive to eat whatever you’d like on the non-fast days and have the modified fasts erase all the bad things you might be putting into your body the other days.

Can someone please help with my skepticism, as I’ve always Ben told that if something sounds too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. Thank you.

I have not posted in a while – just logged in to respond to your post.
    Here are my results 2 months into IF. The numbers have not changed in the past few years much – but after just 2 months I had significant results.

But I have to wait for the next results to make sure this still works.

May May
    2012, 2013 (2 months into fast diet)

Weight lbs 163, 161 (~ 5% loss – dropped from 170 lb since Jan) – right now between 153-155

Weight lbs -10%
    Cholesterol -10%
    Triglycerides -30 %
    LDL -15%
    HDL +1%
    LDL/HDL Ratio -18%
    Cho/HDL Ratio -16%
    BMI -10%
    Waistline -10%

Lost more than 10% in waistline that is 4+ inches. Though the weight has not gone down significantly in the last few weeks, my waistline is going down.

Documentary link – http://vimeo.com/54089463

Earlier post – http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/blood-test-results-comparison/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.