Jaunty January 2024

This topic contains 343 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  ccco 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 341 total)

• Day 13 NZ – NFD
    About me: Kia ora I’m Hana, 27yrs, living in Wellington New Zealand, I’m a practice nurse working in Wellington Central. I started my weight loss journey way back in 2017 (before I became a nurse) when I went up to a 110kg and had some breathing difficulties so I decided I needed to sort myself out and lose some weight. By 2020 I had got down to 62kg by calorie counting and exercise, I would say back then I really lacked knowledge of how to lose weight safely as I wasn’t fueling my body correctly. Fast forward to 2020 I had got back up to 100kg after I graduated from University with my nursing degree. Tried to lose weight with a range of things over the years but never really stuck with them. Anyway last year June 2023 weight was 117kg I decided I needed to do something and ended up back at 5:2. I had lost 7kg between June and November 2023 and then my nana passed away in November so I did spiral as that really effected me. But I’m doing ok now.
    I decided on 1st Jan 2024 that I need to get my weight down as my blood work isn’t great and my asthma is worse, and my weight will continue to go up if I do nothing.
    Anyway here I am again with quite a bit of knowledge about fueling my body correctly and 5;2
    4 fasts down so far this year, I do x2 500calorie days, the day after my fast days I usually have 3 meals and other days I have 2 meals. So far I’m down almost 2kg in 2 weeks 😁
    Looking forward to hearing about everyone’s success, good and bad days and motivating each other

Day 13 NFD Auck 77.9kg

I had a lovely day y’day with Sth Isle friends. We had Gazpacho and fresh corn for lunch. I offered up a ham salad but they had had morning tea in a cafe so weren’t in need of more food. For dinner we ended up going to a Korean restaurant away from the hustle and bustle of the cricket. I had seared salmon sitting on top of – wait for it – Thai oat risotto, which was not quite what I imagined it would be! It wasn’t made with whole oats but a delicate creamy porridge flavoured with chile and fish sauce.
    @at I have just worked out how to enter emojis on the Sheet thanks to you. I want to see how often I drink EtOH even if it’s just one glass!
    @fastingnurse I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I’m sure she was very proud of you and your achievements. She would also want you to be healthy and will be supporting you from afar. Stay with us, it’s not all smooth sailing until you get into a rhythm but we will all support you here. The New Year is a great time to start afresh! I have turned your name ‘on’ in purple on the sheet should you want to use it. Here is the access address: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q5va6oBwihLVcO6_earVMKdIWw3o6HgzkfSa0Iy5hU0/edit
    I have to head off for my walk. It’s 10am and getting hotter by the minute….

Onward and downward!

Day13🏃🏼‍♀️Second Post

Back from my walk… that’s my weekly 150 mins!
    @brightonbelle I glad you’ve bounced back and are feeling good again.
    @songbirdme Well done on getting back to high maintenance. Is a snow storm the weather to sort stuff in the house? Or do you snuggle under blankets in front of a fire drinking whisky and toasting marshmallows?!
    @at And well done on your drop too! I assume it’s dark at 0800 hrs !😶‍🌫️
    @stitchincarol I do believe your body does communicate what it needs. It’s not all psychological. I recall being in SE Asia and really craving Vegemite. What I needed was salt…
    @cocco You’re on to it!! Go you!
    @northgeorgia Write it down in your journal and you’ll understand what and when your Achilles Heel is.
    @snowflake56 German food! I’m thinking sausages and roasted meat, potatoes, breads, beer etc. But what about Black Forest Cake and Apple Streudel😋!!
    @flourbaby oh I might try that recipe!
    Are you snowboarding or skiing? I should give it a go this winter but I only have my old 180s… I was the era of fast and elegant not short and bombing it. Though when I think of it the only serious injuries I have had are all from skiing!!
    @funshipfreddie Good article about taking maintenance seriously. It said of those who have maintained their weight loss: 78% eat breakfast every day, 75% weigh themselves once a week, 62% watch 10 hours or less of TV a week and 90% exercise on average one hour a day. I wish they had broken down what exercise means in this context. Is it going to the gym, playing a game of tennis or running for an hour or does it mean 30 minutes of walking daily plus doing the house cleaning, walking to work, steps etc
    @penz Hope you enjoyed your pizza and red wine! I’ll be joining you on Monday’s Fast day list to keep you on the straight and narrow!! Have a good weekend!
    @lilymartin Hope you’re doing well too!
    And @daffodil2010

Onward and downward one and all!!

Thanks @merryapple for your kind words. I agree she would want me to be healthy! I’ll get there, a long journey ahead.
    Like yourself I just finished my walk too🚶🏻‍♀️🚶🏻‍♀️😄

Day 13 county west Australia CD 81.8 kgs
    Thank you to everyone for their wishes and comments. It is much appreciated and helps me stay on track, albeit it spasmodically.
    2024 is a year I have decided that I MUST do something about my health and weight. ( as was 2023… and 2022…and 2021…. etc etc)
    Well ‘ the dress’ situation has become the catalyst for doing 5:2 as I was doing it originally , way back in 2016/17 and it was successful. I became healthier and slimmer.
    I have lost 2.5 kgs in 3 days!!!
    While I am aware of water weight loss etc I have definitely lost some weight in 3 days. Clothes already fitting better and able to do up buttons which eluded the buttonholes last week !!!😱😱
    I am eating about 1/4 of what I normally eat.
    I have done 2 good FDs and planning a CD today ( under 800 calories).
    I am drinking litres of water – at least 2 litres a day.
    I am not eating carbs, chocolate, eating mainly salads – no dressing – tomato/cucumber/onion/spinach, not drinking any grog, drinking very little coffee ( flat whites a particular downfall but full of. milk!), exercising like I can’t believe, back to resistance work and it is all paying off.
    The bad news is – it shows just HOW much I have been overeating for a very LONG time ( as in years) and trying to convince myself otherwise.
    The dress I have to fit into in 2 weeks today is very expensive and especially bought for a special occasion.
    As several people have pointed out , it is day at a time.
    When I am tempted to eat something I keep telling myself ‘I can have this in 2 weeks time. ‘but planning to keep it going for the next 2 weeks after that and the next 2 weeks after that….
    I am also asking myself, again , ‘ Why do I choose to be fat?’ And that’s the tough one. I seriously think I just truly enjoy food.
    For example : Whenever I go to a buffet meal I am the kind of person who will have a bit of everything and go back for more of something I really like.
    My DH on the other hand has always only had a few of the dishes on offer and rarely goes back for seconds.
    Needless to say he is trim and healthy – and I am not !!
    Have to get the results of my recent blood tests so not looking forward to that….😬
    As Tom Venuto of ‘Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle’ says – you can’t outrun a bad diet !! Ain’t that the truth !!!
    Fast days definitely DO make a difference. And as I found last time, fasting and eating to TDEE does help to reset my appetite.
    Hi to everyone. Welcome to newbies – you are in th right place for help and support @fastingnurse.
    @funshipfreddie, I am also thinking of your ‘ delayed gratification’, you mentioned a long time ago.
    So good to be back on the wagon !!! Just hope I don’t tip it over!! 🤞

Day 13, NFD, Aus

Checking in. Out for dinner with friends tonight which will be nice. We have a bottle of sparkling shiraz we’ve been promising to share with them for months.

And it’s raining again after another sweltering day! Young dog is barking at the thunder.

Day 13 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@fastingnurse – welcome back!

@lilymartin – 2.5 kg down in 3 days?! Go you! 💪 Delayed gratification, yes, & also mindful eating can make a huge difference. Although, I was anything but mindful yesterday, when I lost the plot with an entire bar of chocolate 🤦‍♂️. I really need to go back to daily MFP. I’m scraping maintenance, but 3 x FDs per week is getting tiresome 🥴️

@flourbaby – Boo Boo was spayed a long time ago. And my neighbour’s cat Popsie is also female. Boo Boo’s just a big bully. Popsie never comes near my place – at least, I’ve never seen her near here. Boo Boo goes looking for fights. And she’s in her 10th year! She’s like the Benjamin Button of the cat world. I’m starting to wonder if she’s a full quid. Can cats have bipolar disorder? Sometimes she runs around like a lunatic all day, & then she’ll have a day or two of being very lazy and docile. Yesterday she ate her weight in Whiskas, & then she sprawled out along the patio window in the sun for most of the day. Anyway, I’m hoping the bell diminishes her hunting/bullying skills, but I’m not holding my breath 😅

@merryapple – whisky & marshmallows?! What a bizarre combo?! 🤣

@songbirdme – I just finished watching ‘Fool Me Once’ a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed it; lots of twists and turns, & a very unexpected ending! 🤐

It was a toasty 28 C here yesterday. It felt like summer had finally arrived &, I wore shorts for maybe only the 3rd time since December. Only 23 C today, but just reading about all the snow & those crazy minus 20+ C temperatures gives me chills?! 🥶️

Aiming for a more controlled NFD today, & most likely another FD tomorrow…

Have a good weekend everyone 🌤🌈

Just a comment for @stitchincarol as I’m totally upset about using mouse glue traps: Studies have shown that the majority of animals caught in glue traps die in agony while trying to free themselves from the adhesive. Animals can struggle for days trying to tear off their own limbs and skin, and those that cannot escape die from starvation or dehydration.

Day 13 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800 – 161.4

Yesterday was a total treat; we made it a true “snow day” and DH stayed home all day and we started in on the “Fool Me Once” series @songbirdme mentioned that I’d been eyeing, and we really enjoyed the baked brie meal I’d planned. Tonight we’ll do the pork tenderloin for supper; I’m doing a FD800 today, but not as one of the three extra I’m throwing in for the month, but as compensation for how far over I went for daily calories yesterday.

Today, we’ll decide if we cancel church for tomorrow. It’s currently -5F/-21C (which is the “warmest” it’s going to be all day) and when church is supposed to start in the morning, it’ll be -20F/-29C with windchills around -50. 😵‍💫 We don’t get temps like this every year here in Nebraska, so when we do, we sit up and take notice, because they’re so very dangerous.

@at Nicely done on the drop! Yeah, we’ve caught 12 mice in the house so far, and they’ve wreaked havoc in our pantry. I’m afraid that they’ve breeded and there are more to be found, ugh, which apparently takes only 19 days!!!!

@songbirdme So have you caught any clues so far?? I haven’t.

@fastingnurse Welcome! What a good job you’ve already pulled off; well done. A book that many of us read and we’ve discussed frequently is The Obesity Code; have you read it? It was extremely motivating to me when I read it, and I recommend it highly.

@merryapple Oh, that Thai Oat Risotto sounds interesting!

@lilymartin You are doing tremendously to limit your caloires so dramatically, and be so determined to stick to the regimen. And, whether it’s actual weight or merely water weight, it certain adds up to inches lost, so go you; I’m sure you’ll fit into that dress and look terrific, and then you can continue the journey at a more usual and tolerable pace.

@penz Enjoy your sparkling shiraz.

@funshipfreddie What drama with Boo Boo; do keep us updated on whether the bell is helping at all.

@snowflake56 You’re absolutely right about the glue traps, and I’m not at all happy with them either, but the mice had learned to lick everything off the regular mouse traps without ever setting them off, so I was desperate, because living with mice in the house simply cannot be tolerated. Do you have any suggestions? I’d love a more humane solution. The only comfort is that when DH takes them out of the house, he somehow kills them and ends their suffering.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 13 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. A pound more over last Saturday, but for the week, three pounds down over last week. Two more NFDs ahead, but will probably attempt the 3 day challenge again next week (I don’t think there are any lunch meetings, unlike the last week of the month that lies ahead).

@stitchincarol — finished “Fool Me Once” last evening — as @funshipfreddie said, there are several twists. Happy thing though, they all seem to solve the puzzles in the end!

USA. Day 13. FD

Good morning! 🙂

I didn’t have another loss this morning but that’s okay. I am trying to do this, so I can have a better assurance of maintaining my loss. My weight is holding this morning, so I am putting myself back on the pocket list.

Pocket List
    @ccco

Everyone, have a wonderful weekend! 🙂

2nd Post – Day 13

Pocket List – Day 13 🥝
    @stitchincarol FD800
    @ccco

Day 13 – UK – FD800

A great yoga class followed by a healthy brunch this morning

@songbirdme – your winters are certainly severe compared to our very mild ones here but sadly our systems are not geared to cope with much here – we are heading into a cold spell this week but at least it will mean dry weather….
    @fastingnurse – welcome back to our challenges – I echo the sentiments/advice expressed by others
    @merryapple – I am trying to show some restraint this month and the visuals on the spreadsheet is a great reminder of what I’m doing. I was glad that I set the alarm to get me up this morning 🤣 otherwise I most certainly would not have made it to the class!!
    @lilymartin – it does help to focus our minds on what we have to do when we have a target in mind – stay strong and in 2 weeks time you will be glad you did when you slip into that special dress 👗
    @stitchincarol – thank you – the drop has certainly motivated me to carry on……
    @songbirdme and others – you have made me curious about that series….I will be investigating it

Today has turned into an accidental extra FD800 for the week which by turn meant no 🍷 and so I managed to stick to my 4 alcohol free days for the week!! I am adding myself to the pocket list even though it is towards the end of the day for me, this should stop a late night visit to the kitchen……

Pocket List – Day 13 🥝
    @stitchincarol FD800
    @ccco
    @at FD800

Day 14 NFD NZ

It’s a lovely calm Sunday here. Mr Mac and I might saddle up and go for a bike ride. My poor wee Westie is finding the hot nights difficult…
    It’s lovely to see the effort and stickability and support everyone is showing😄😇 to each other🥰
    The USA weather made it onto our TV news. It’s looking pretty extreme so stay safe my American friends.
    Ooh @songbirdme and co I’ll look Fool Me Once up. I do love a twisty plot!
    @funshipfreddie You’re lucky you don’t get chocolate pimples! Or do you?! I must say the best part about toasting marshmallows is the toasting. I was channelling my Lake Tahoe ski days – read Days of Our Lives. The days when we’d ski down the frozen Truckee River, leave our skis at the back door and hit the bar. The waitress would come over and say such&such wants to buy you a drink. We’d ask her if she would accept a drink from that man and if the answer was in the affirmative we’d have a fun time!! So naughty… but we did have to ski home which kept us from getting into too much trouble!!
    @lilymartin You can do it! Keep up the🤐 and you’ll look fab in your dress!💅👠👛🌹💃
    @maui and @jaifaim Hope you’re both doing OK

I’ve got to get going before the day heats up…

Onward and downward one and all!!

Day 14 country west Australia 81.8 kgs FD
    The interesting thing about fasting for me is that once I have fasted properly ( and not got a dreaded migraine which can happen and knock me out for days) I can then fast for a few days as I don’t feel hungry.
    But then that first bite and…. the hunger hormones kick in with a vengeance and I could eat a truck load of food and go back for more!! 😱🙄😬
    Fasting also resets my appetite so even though the past few days and next 2 weeks will be extreme calorie reduction, in 2 weeks my appetite should have reset to a more ‘ normal’ level.
    This is what happened in 2016/17 when I first started 5:2.
    Anyway, I am revelling in my recent will/won’t power 😇😇😇 and ability to say ‘ NO!!!’ to many foods I would normally eat.
    I am enjoying the feel of looser waistbands but not getting ahead of myself.
    Thanks @funshipfreddie @at @stitchincarol and others for the support. This forum definitely helps me with this WOL.
    It is so good to read of others successes, struggles, hints.Funny how, when I fell off the wagon, I somehow lost that 5:2 IS a WOL and not just a fad.
    Back to establishing good and healthy habits….
    @penz, enjoy the shiraz. It’s so nice to enjoy a meal with friends.
    @MerryAppple, it’s interesting that we ‘down under’ are having such a hot time off it ( 37ºC to 40ºC here and 41ºC in Perth ) and yet is is SO cold in the northern hemisphere.🤔🤔
    Off to do some more exercises..
    Have a good Sunday everyone.😊
    Sending lots of Mojo and enthusiasm.

Day 14, NFD, Aus

The sparkling shiraz was underwhelming! But we had a lovely meal with friends, lots of fun and good conversation, so that more than made up for it.

Looking fwd to my FD tomorrow!

Day 14 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

First FD of the week. Another not-so-controlled day yesterday, so from today I’ll follow @at‘s example of daily logging on MFP. I’ve done it before, it wasn’t so difficult & I didn’t experience the yo-yo-ing that I have recently, in fact I think I vaguely remember my weight went a bit too low.

@merryapple – No, I don’t get chocolate pimples 😅 I’ve never skied, but I have tried ice-skating. And I’ve toasted marshmallows. I think I was just a kid though, so there definitely wouldn’t have been whisky involved. I prefer the miniature marshmallows though, when you get them on top of a steaming cup of hot chocolate, maybe with some whipped cream too 😋 I really shouldn’t be having these thoughts on a FD?!

@stitchincarol – so far so good with the bell 🤞 I’ve not had any complaints from my neighbour Marie anyway. But Boo Boo seems to be in hibernation mode at the moment. Last night I was looking all over for her, because she wasn’t in any of her usual places, & I found her curled up & asleep on the lid of the toilet in the guest bathroom! She baffles me sometimes.

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 14 🥚
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie

Day 14 UK f800

Quick check in as I’ve done something to my phone and it’s stuck on horizontal and I have to sign into everything multiple times so need to spend some time messing with it

Pocket List – Day 14 🥚
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 14 – Uk – NFD

A quick 6.2 miles this morning with a friend followed by brunch then a bit of retail therapy – she convinced me to get the new GoreTex Waterproof jacket I had been considering and also a comfy zip up co-ordinating fleece top!!

@penz – shame that the sparkling shiraz did not live up to expectations – Am I correct in assuming it was a NZ one – which vineyard? I had an Aussie one on my last visit – Peter Lehmann Black Queen Sparkling Shiraz which was delicious
    @funshipfreddie – You are an inspiration to us as you seem to stay very close to your maintenance, something I did manage to do for years but sadly not recently…..MFP does tend to help me stay in control so I will stick to it for this month and see how I get on…..

Mushroom Risotto planned for dinner tonight – something rather therapeutic standing and stirring a risotto to the right consistency and cook.

Tomorrow’s weather looks good – frosty and sunny so looking forward to my usual busy FD Monday!

Day 14 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 162.0

I couldn’t figure out why I was so persuaded yesterday and Friday were for playing, and not for disciplined eating, and this morning made it clear. The sky is blue, there’s only a slight breeze–albeit the temps are frigid–and I no longer feel like it’s a magical snow day, but is merely a dangerously cold day when church was cancelled for us as well as all around the region. The difference? The wind is no longer blowing and there’s no more snow falling/being blown. It’s amazing how the weather truly made it feel like a holiday, and DH being home for two full days–and today is a third–is also unheard of. So the resting up that vacation in California didn’t accomplish has been provided by these two delightful days. Now for some discipline!

@songbirdme and @funshipfreddie We too finished “Fool Me Once” yesterday and now the title makes sense. Delightful show!

@penz Bummer on the underwhelming Shiraz, but I totally get how that’s truly beside the point when you’ve had a lovely time with friends. I too am looking forward to my next FD (Tuesday)!

@funshipfreddie ON THE LID OF THE TOILET??? Boo Boo is definitely a one-in-a-million cat, LOL!

@brightonbelle Oh, bummer on the phone; I hope you get it sorted quickly and easily.

I still have all the Christmas decorations out except for the large tree, so today plan to get it all put away…it’s time. Each time we’re in California over the Christmas holidays, it’s so hard to put stuff away, because I’ve lost the days of enjoying them, but the 14th of January has pushed it far enough, LOL! 😂😂

Day 14 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Strange to not fast on a Sunday or the next day. As it’s a holiday weekend here in the US, I’ve decided to try the 3-day challenge again Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday this week 🙂

Actually dropped a few ounces over yesterday, so that makes me happy. My body typically gains right before a FD (probably something psychological I’m doing), so I’ll try to watch these final few days. Did a ZBC this morning.

Day 15 NZ FD 77.4kg

We went for our bike ride to an Iranian wild foods restaurant 😋which has a weekend delicatessen open. I had a brioche filled with gin cured salmon, dill mayo and pickled red onions. I came home and sat in front of the TV (away from the kitchen!) and watched 3 games of cricket – two local T20 matches (women and men) and the NZ Pakistan match which NZ won 😄during which I channel surfed to watch Pride and Prejudice with a young Kiera Knightely. What a lovely wasteful Sunday! Now I have to get going today…
    @at Now why would you think an”underwhelming Shiraz” came from NZ????!! We make old world style Syrah (same grape) but to paraphrase reviews – it is peppery, floral, cherry edged whereas the Oz new world style Shiraz is sweeter and blackcurranty and higher EtOH. Some Syrah might be nice with your risotto!!!
    @brightenbelle I have done that to my phone screen… Dr Google will tell you what to do but from memory you push two external buttons on the the phone at the same time to freeze the screen… Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on!
    @stitchincarol Any thoughts of Xmas are long gone in this part of the world… Just too hot… I love thinking of you and DH snuggled in front of the TV away from the kitchen!!!
    @funshipfreddie Now that sounds like a lovely wintery drink!! Don’t tell @stitchincarol🤣
    @lilymartin Whew! That’s hot! We haven’t got to over 30 here in Auckland but the east coast of the North Island and South Island have… We’ve had a lot of cloudy muggy weather and have rain forecast AGAIN today.
    @fastingnurse, @maui, @daffodil2010, @jaifaim, @flourbaby, @carley-marie, @excelsior12309, @metatauta, @songbirdme , @snowflake56 I know you are all out there!! Sending Strength and RESOLVE!!!💪💪💪
    @penz It’s you and me on the FD list so far… we can do this!!!

Pocket List
    @merry🍎
    @penz

STAY STRONG!!!

Day 15, NFD, Aus

Will Power!!!

@at – It was a Hentley Farm, Beauty Sparkling Shiraz; a lovely little winery from the Barossa Valley in South Australia. I laughed at your comments @merryapple! I prefer NZ pinots to the Australia ones, but give me an Aussie shiraz any day.

We watched the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins game last night. It was -21 degrees C!!! No wonder the poor players from Florida lost! Brrrr! I feel for all of you battling freezing conditions.

I thought we were slow keeping our tree up until 10 Jan, @stitchincarol! But then again, we’d spent the entire Christmas period with it so it was well time to say good bye to it for another year.

Day 15 country west Australia FD 80.8 kgs ( 177.76 lbs)
    FDs working well and CDs also.
    @funshipfreddie , @at and @merryapple , that drink and that food sounds delicious BUT I keep reminding myself that I CAN do this for 2 weeks – and so I shall.
    I already feel better in myself- getting up from chairs, going up and down stairs etc.
    And clothes fitting better.
    I will try on THE dress on Friday to see how I am going.
    @stitchincarol, I saw the weather in the US on our news bulletin last night. That looks COLD !!!!!
    Here we are battling temperatures of 37-41ºC and several fires due to lightning strike from a storm yesterday afternoon. Another 3 days of this and then a cooler change….
    @at, I love your ‘ just a quick 6.2 miles’!!
    I’m not able to do a ‘ quick’ anything as yet, but getting there….
    Happy Monday everyone. It feels like it will be a good week.

Day 15 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.5 kg 😲

I’m surprised to see the same number as last week after my Fri/Sat splurges. Anyway, MFP daily for the foreseeable future. I don’t want to be doing 3 x FDs every week 🥴️

@stitchincarol – I spoke too soon?! I saw Marie chasing Boo Boo late yesterday afternoon with the water spray bottle she uses to split up the cats. Boo Boo is such a brat, maybe I need to get more bells? 😅

@lilymartin – 37- 41 C?! I don’t know what would be worse, that or snow?! It’s only going up to 24 C here today. I love the Eastern Cape climate. The temperature drops down to the teens at night, even in summer. In Durban it sometimes wouldn’t drop below 25 C even at night, & sleeping was a struggle. You CAN do this for two weeks! 💪 but, after two weeks? Do you have a long-term strategy for after you reach your goal?

Tidying up the list. I think the ‘NFD’ was a typo, @penz? So I’m leaving you there 🤔

Sending RESOLVE to the Monday fasters. Remember – it’s just food! 🎯

Pocket List – Day 15 🍋
    @merry🍎
    @penz
    @lilymartin

second post.
    @funshipfreddie. Indeed I do have a longterm strategy.
    My consecutive FDs and CDs re a drastic but unsustainable measure as a one off.
    Then it is back to doing 5:2 more sensibly as a WOL and eating well but only to TDEE on NFD and under 500 – 800 calorie on FDs with MFP as my friend !!😬

Day 15 – Ireland – CD 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Hello all, back to work today I day after fab holidays 🎿⛷️❄️ 🇮🇹 I just love skiing…♥️. I board too 🏂 but this was mostly a ski holiday ⛷️ with girlfriends… fabulous snow, out all day whizzing down and up the mountains 🚠 and such good food.

I’ll come back later and read the posts – i just needed to start the day as I mean to go on… it seems lovely and busy here this month 💕

I hope everyone is well – time for me to take on this year now…. 👍

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others

Day 15, London, UK, FD,

Once again I forgot to post over the weekend! Must do better🤭

My goodness @stitchincarol, I can’t even imagine temperatures like you’re getting, I want @funshipfreddie‘s weather please🙏🏼. I truly despise being cold🥶🥶 Not sure why I’m going skiing at the end of the month!🤣🤣 Unlike @jaifaim, I don’t actually enjoy skiing, it’s being with my friends & colleagues that I enjoy, so I’ve booked myself a spa day for day 2!!😁

Welcome @fastingnurse, glad to have you along for the ride!!

@merryapple, this is the recipe I used, absolutely lovely!!
    https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/cauliflower-fried-rice.html

@funshipfreddie, I’m not sure why some cats need to dominate!! Bo-Bo isn’t exactly a gentle soul, but he loves to play with other cats and humans alike, however there are a couple of neighbourhood cats who (despite him being a robust & chunky 6kg!) have the audacity to come into his garden & bully him!! 😿😿

3.2lbs down for this week, which isn’t too shabby and dry-ish January is going well, I went for Sunday lunch yesterday, after 15,000 steps🏆 ………………….. Coke Zero to the rescue!!🙏🏼🙏🏼

Onward & downwards folks!!

“The greatest wealth is health.” – Virgil

Pocket List – Day 15 🍋
    @merry🍎
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @flourbaby

Day 15-No. VA USA-FD 800
    Just bopping along here, weather is very cold and the heating is not working well in our office building. The heating and air company has been out multiple times this past month; at some point they need to send someone who knows what they are doing. So lots of space heaters, etc. They are very prompt with their bills; none of which will be paid until they do better….
    I have not been particularly careful in eating this past week, so weight is stagnated, but not going up. Yet, of course, not going down either. Will do better today.

Pocket list, day 15
    @merryapple
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @flourbaby
    @excelsior12309 (FD 800)

Day 15 UK FD800

Last day of my 2 week experiment on fast 800 today , I’ve had no scales over the weekend ( hubby out now getting new batteries) so I’ll see tomorrow morning how I’ve done and will be deciding today on the next phase

Pocket list, day 15
    @merryapple
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @flourbaby
    @excelsior12309 (FD 800)
    @brightonbelle FD 800

Fascinating to see the varying weather around the world , if I could choose @funshipfreddie s would be perfect for me – off now to dream about holidays 😎 Have a good week all 💪

USA. Day 15. FD

Pocket list, day 15
    @merryapple
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @flourbaby
    @excelsior12309 (FD 800)
    @brightonbelle FD 800
    @ccco

Day 15 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. Well, this is VERY interesting! There was very little gain with homemade meals the past couple of days, even with homemade cheesy potato soup in the mix. But the very moment I get some fast food chicken (family request for last night), then KABOOM the pounds pile on the next morning. If I had made the meal at home, I ponder if my body would have reacted the same. It really makes you wonder doesn’t it?

Anyway, last NFD before my next stretch of FDs!

Day 15 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – didn’t weigh

Had to cancel my rescheduled-from-Friday dental appointment because the highway to get to town is still closed. Now I’m worrying it won’t be open tomorrow, although I think there are other routes that are open and reasonable. I just went out and scooped at the 3.5′ drift by the garage door, but my gloves are inadequate to the cold and I only lasted ten minutes, getting lots but not all of it, and none of the sidewalk leading to it. Ironically, the driveway is just cement, no snow–that’s the power of the wind, LOL.

@merryapple Wow, “an Iranian wild foods restaurant”??? And gin-cured salmon????? Fascinating, and a taste I’d love to try.

@penz How fun that you watched the Chiefs/Dolphins game also! We did hear one gal explain about the heaters they had around the (heated) benches that raised the temps there to 30 (40?) degrees. And yet, Coach Andy Reid had snow/icicles on his mustache. Yeah, it was quite the challenge for everyone, I’m sure. (And consider that I couldn’t stand more than ten minutes scooping, LOL!!!!!)

@lilymartin Yeah, the entire country is freezing, or near to it… Oh, and HEY. I have several times done a 5-day diet (way years ago, not recently) where I eliminated basically all salt from my diet, and ate their three meals a day that included raw spinach at every meal (that was because I didn’t like the other choices). EAch time, I was astounded at how much smaller my body was after those five days (and maybe it was 7 days?), so while I know you can’t eliminate all salt indefinitely, if you need to drop a smidge more size to fit into that dress as you get closer, perhaps eliminating all salt for a few days would do the needed trick.

@funshipfreddie Oh, bummer on Boo Boo being aggressive again, but how funny to envision Marie chasing Boo Boo with a water spray, LOL!

@jaifaim I have never once gone skiing and my body is getting a bit middle aged to start now, but I still hold out hope that an option will present itself. It’s lovely to envision you whizzing down mountains! Where did you go?

@flourbaby Thanks for posting that recipe; I’m going to try it!

@excelsior12309 Oh dear–heating not working well right now is a serious problem. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly!

@brightonbelle I’m looking forward to hearing your results also!

It’s been such a lovely time being “stuck” at home–I’ve truly loved it, as has DH. He commented this morning, as we were reading in bed, that if this is what retirement looks like, he’s ready! But I have loads to do today and lessons to teach tomorrow, and he has a funeral tomorrow (with temps at 10/-9, so only slightly warmer), so it’s time to quit burrowing and emerge into the day, LOL.

Day 16 NFD NZ 77.3kg

Just lost a big post which I stupidly didn’t save…
    Have to get going now…

Strength everyone…

Day 15 – UK – FD500

Just a quick log on to report that a busy day ensured that I completed a successful FD500

Catch up tomorrow

@merryapple Here’s your long post, compliments of my email…

Day 16 NZ NFD 77.3kg

Mr Mac had an unsettled night pacing and was up early trying to get me out of bed for his breakfast… 🐻‍❄️🖤
    I have my Texan friend coming for dinner and am going to make Tamale Pie. I have made a gourmet version in the past with a beautiful sauce made from various dried chiles and slow cooked meat but it’s too hot to have the oven on for 2 1/2 hours so I’ll do a mince version which is not dissimilar to cottage pie! It still feels like the holidays here with the art galleries and universities not opening ‘til Feb but at some point I’ll have to pull myself together and get on to planning the upcoming year…
    @excelsior12309 Not much heating! Does that mean everyone is running up and down the stairs to stay warm? Well done on flat lining!! Way better than going up!!
    @stitchincarol Who needs the gym when you can shovel snow! The flavour from gin comes from Juniper berries so combined with salmon it’s a marriage made in heaven!! I’m sure your son would guide you through curing salmon like this!
    @northgeorgia I’d sincerely recommend you write this insight in your journal so you can read it sometime in the future.
    @brightonbelle I can’t wait to hear your results!
    @cocco Hope your FD went well y’day.💪
    That’s fantastic @flourbaby!! Don’t forget to start your ski exercises now for your upcoming trip! It’s surely not all about après skiing!! Thank you for the recipe. I know you make it a lot so it must be good!
    @jaifaim Welcome back!! How much fun have you been having! I’m so envious!!!
    @lilymartin Go you! Shrinking by the day! We’re all rooting for you and the dress looking fab on Friday!
    @penz I love those big full bodied Aussie reds!! A lot of my friends are drinking Rosé wines which I find a wee bit namby pamby… I think it’s the colour not the flavour that sends them in their direction… If I want a lighter style wine I would tend to go for a crisper Sauvignon Blanc esp in this weather. Here am I thinking about wine and it’s breakfast time. Since I started doing @at’s icon method on the sheet I realised I was drinking more regularly than I thought. “I’ll have wee glass coz the bottles open or I better finish that opened bottle off before it goes off…” I’m not worried about my liver, it’s the empty calories!!
    @at I assume it was you who cleaned up the sheet from the annoying Shrew who parked themselves on it… Thank you!!
    Hope those winter walks in your new jacket are working for you. What colour is it? Winter white? Emergency orange? You must be so admirably supple and fit!!
    @fastingnurse I hope you haven’t given us up and are awol because of shift work. Just keep posting even if it’s only a couple of words. It takes a wee while to get into the swing of things…
    Hi to everyone out there who might be lurking.

Onwards and downwards one and all!!

Day 16, NFD, Aus

Thank you @funshipfreddie, yesterday was indeed a FD, and basking in PFDS today. I did not feel strong enough mentally for a WFD and consumed about 300 calories, which is a FD in anybody’s books.

Having computer woes this morning which is not an auspicious start to the day.

Good to see you back @jaifaim. With all that whizzing about I bet your weight is stable if not down from where it was pre-holiday. LOL that you’ve booked a spa in preference to skiing, @flourbaby. The things we do in order to holiday with friends!

Pretty consistent views in the forum – we’re all moving in with @funshipfreddie to enjoy his weather!

Day 16 country west Australia FD 800 80.5 kgs
    So fasting actually works – who knew ??!!!!
    Day 10 – 84.5 kgs
    Day 16 80.5 kgs
    4 kgs in 6 days 😇😇 is rather more than I have lost before but it is a time limited strict fasting regime dictated by circumstance – an expensive dress bought for a special occasion that I HAVE to fit in to in 2 weeks.
    Now that I am not eating a lot and my appetite has reset I actually don’t feel hungry and my mojo is back with vengeance.
    It is no longer a problem to swerve sugar, carbs ( well maybe a smidge of difficulty there…) wine, chocolate, cheese, second serves of anything, resorting to black tea, 1 coffee a day.
    Oddly enough on 800 calorie days I am eating eggs, salad, sardines etc and the weight is still coming off.
    Mind you I did/do have a LOT of fat to lose.😔
    So for those who are finding it difficult to keep with the fasting I am just encouraging you to stick with this WOL. 5:2 done as it can be done does work. ( I need to read this to myself and remind myself for the rest of the year !!!!)
    Thought : Years ago we had a member Dykask who could do a number of consecutive water fasts (WFs) and I was always in awe.
    But now I have experienced the lack of hunger after several days of extremely low calorie intake I wonder if that has reset leptin and ghrelin levels and thus hunger is controlled ?
    Or has my body switched to fatburning mode because my metabolic rate has changed? I am exercising like there is no tomorrow – or there is a dress I need to fit in to!! 🤔🤔
    Just curious going forward.

2nd post. Day 16

Whew! Thank you @stitchincarol! It always pays to have backup!
    @penz I can feel @funshipfreddie’s reaction from here at the thought of being just too attractive and magnetic!!!
    Cheers everyone!

second post after getting on to page 4 and reading other posts !
    Computer woes like @penz.
    If I don’t save everything into a Word document they often whoosh off into the ether.
    Wholeheartedly agree with @penz re moving to @funshipfreddie‘s for the fabulous weather .
    @stitchincarol I rarely ever use salt. It is my family’s frequent complaint – they are always wanting to know where the salt shaker is !!
    @merryapple, that gin infused salmon sounds delicious.
    @at well done on the successful FD.
    @excelsior12309, not going up is still progress in my book.
    @brightonbelle, here’s hoping for a ‘good’ result.
    It will be a good result anyway because you have stuck with 800 calories daily for 2 weeks 😇- that is commitment, consistency and perseverance so a win whatever the scales say.
    @flourbaby, I’m with you on the spa!! I went skiing in Europe many years ago and my friends loved hitting the slopes all day. I couldn’t see the sense in going down then getting the chairlift up just to go down again!! Much preferred the ‘apres-ski’.
    Mind you, the wall sitting exercise to get one’s legs toned and conditioned was good. I’m back doing it now but nowhere near the 2 minutes I used to manage 40 years ago!!

Day 16 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

I promise I won’t talk about the lovely weather anymore. After today, because it IS currently a glorious 22 C, without a cloud in the sky 😜

It’s great to hear about the Jaunty January successes so far. @flourbaby, down 3.2 lb already?! Not shabby at all! And @lilymartin – down 4 kg in less than a week?! Maybe it’s not MFP I need, it’s a slightly snug expensive dress! 😂 I must say though, I’m surprised more people don’t use the spreadsheet. There’s just something about putting my goals & FDs on there that somehow keeps me focused & spurs on my motivation. But maybe it doesn’t work for everyone.

@stitchincarol – A lazy coffee whilst leisurely reading in bed in the morning is one of the best parts of retirement. But my cranky cat has cancelled that particular avenue of pleasure for me. I think she’s still trying to punish me for incarcerating her over Christmas. I feed her first thing, & then make coffee; but if I take it back to bed, she’ll just sit on the night table & stare at me, poking me in the arm every couple of minutes until I get up 🤨

Pocket List – Day 16 🫐
    @lilymartin FD800
    @funshipfreddie

Day 16, London, UK, NFD

Well, it’s been a wee while, but ……………………………. I’ve had a 2lb whoosh!!!💪🏼😇🥳 I’ve been aiming for 2.5L water a day which is nigh on impossible when it’s -3 degrees outside (don’t judge me @stitchincarol, that’s arctic for me!!😂) Feeling full to the brim with mojo right now and confident I can replicate 2018 if I just KEEP THE FAITH!!!

@lilymartin, the motivation of a dress and a ski trip are keeping us on track, I need to replicate that ALL the time, I need to set up a calendar with target events linked to the beautiful (but rather small😩) clothes I’ve had to put into storage. Must try that wall sitting exercise, my legs are going to be jelly after the 1st practice run!!

@funshipfreddie, I wouldn’t be without Bo-Bo, but sometimes his superior attitude drives me crazy, he woke me at 4:30 this morning, no problem, I needed the loo anyway (2.5L water 🚾) but when I got back to the bedroom he was curled up in my spot snoring loudly …………………….. he woke me up for no reason, then took advantage of my absence, then had the audacity to grumble when I deposited him on HIS bed!!!😻😺🐱

I need to get back to work, a deadline awaits!!

Stay strong folks, we’ve got this!!

“Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”- Buddha

Day 16 – UK – NFD

Managed to complete an under 500cal FD yesterday despite the cold weather!!!

Woke up to a snowy wonderland this morning – nothing like our American friends are experiencing but enough for us, just a couple of inches so far ❄️❄️

@stitchincarol – I will go out for a wander when the snow gets a bit lighter so will test out the new jacket and matching fleece I treated myself to….
    @lilymartin – you are responding well to your FD800 and so glad to hear that your MOJO is strong and focused on fitting into that dress 👗
    @funshipfreddie – you sure you don’t want some minus temps and snow ❄️
    @flourbaby – in winter I find warm fresh ginger and lemon drinks helps to get the water consumption and it tastes refreshing and is good for you too

My DD decided to push through with her dog walking business today and now is stranded in the snow due to an accident ahead of her…..hoping the police deal with it and she can get moving back towards home soon

OH has gone out for his daily 10miles in the snow….he’s staying low level……wonder if he will do the 10??? I have just baked him some fresh berry scones for his return!

Great to see so much motivation this month and some great downward trend so far – Together we can make the second half of January an even more productive one 💪

Day 16 – USA/GA – FD!

Weigh-in: 230 lbs. Cursed pizza I was urged to get last night…grrrr. Should be a little less crazy now with no major holidays and no planned time off until the end of February. Got to find better resolve on NFDs.

Pocket List – Day 16 🫐
    @lilymartin FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 16 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

It has occurred to me that I perhaps should not do a WF today, given that our temps remain brutally cold, and I get miserably cold without calories in me to burn; it seem imprudent to get miserably cold while I’m driving on questionable road surfaces. So the compromise is that I’ll allow myself two lattes, both with skim milk (my preferred way anyway), and the warmth of them as well as the calories/protein in the milk should help.

Turns out the road we always take to drive to town or further on to Omaha is not yet open, and if we chance it (which we wouldn’t), we’ll get a ticket if we’re caught. So I’ll have to go south instead, and then can head into Omaha today. In theory, that doesn’t add much time, but it feels uncomfortable since it’s not a route I take very often and some of the route has so much snow that it’s only one lane. I am NOT looking forward to driving today, but I AM looking forward to being out and about for only the second time in nine days! Cabin fever is real, LOL.

And, amazingly, my cleaning lady is going to be able to get here tomorrow, so I have lots to do to tidy up and restore peace to the house. I won’t feel like it tonight, so I need to get some work done now before I leave the house for the day.

Pocket List – Day 16 🫐
    @lilymartin FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol LiquidFD

Day 16 UK f800

Did a long post ………lost it 😖

Think it’s an important day for @snowflake56 &DH so 🤞

Pocket List – Day 16 🫐
    @lilymartin FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol LiquidFD
    @brightonbelle

USA. DAy 16. FD

I am still down only 2 lbs. Today, with the help of the extra exercise (shoveling all that snow), maybe I will break that number. Congratulations to everyone’s successes!

Pocket List – Day 16 🫐
    @lilymartin FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol LiquidFD
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco

I know plenty of Americans are shoveling out today, so good luck with that extra exercise! 🙂

Here it is:

Day 17 UK. f800
    Weigh in was a bit of a let down – 1 measly lb down , I’m not discouraged though as I can feel and see the difference so onwards ,I’m f800 until Friday then I may have a few slightly relaxed days , we’ll see

Very annoyed after purchasing small coin like batteries to find the scales took good old triple As , it reminded me though a few of us on the forum all got the same scales and I added the app , it’s had my weight from April 21 on it ever since 144 lbs , which is my goal for this year , want to be there for May , 13lbs to lose so perfectly achievable 💪

I think it’s today @snowflake56 and DH are awaiting news so 🤞
    I’m with you @flourbaby – this is far too cold for me ❄️❄️

Having been retired for quite some time I still get great enjoyment from waking up and realising I don’t have to get up and go to work @funshipfreddie & @stitchincarol

Right must dash have an appointment with Leslie 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️
    Pocket List – Day 16 🫐
    @lilymartin FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @Day 17 UK. f800
    Weigh in was a bit of a let down – 1 measly lb down , I’m not discouraged though as I can feel and see the difference so onwards ,I’m f800 until Friday then I may have a few slightly relaxed days , we’ll see

Very annoyed after purchasing small coin like batteries to find the scales took good old triple As , it reminded me though a few of us on the forum all got the same scales and I added the app , it’s had my weight from April 21 on it ever since 144 lbs , which is my goal for this year , want to be there for May , 13lbs to lose so perfectly achievable 💪

I think it’s today @snowflake56 and DH are awaiting news so 🤞
    I’m with you @flourbaby – this is far too cold for me ❄️❄️

Having been retired for quite some time I still get great enjoyment from waking up and realising I don’t have to get up and go to work @funshipfreddie & @stitchincarol

Right must dash have an appointment with Leslie 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Pocket List – Day 16 🫐
    @lilymartin FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol LiquidFD
    @ brightonbelle

Day 17, NFD, Aus

Wow, @lilymartin, just wow. You’re on fire!!! What’s the upcoming special occasion?

And whooshes for @flourbaby! You go girl!

Glad you’re still keeping Leslie company, @stitchincarol. Say hi for me!

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 341 total)

You must be logged in to reply.