Jaunty January 2024

This topic contains 343 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  ccco 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 341 total)

• It’s out with the Auld Year and in with 2024, New Year’s resolutions in hand. Let’s all start off with a bang and get cracking on the journey to healthy us!!

Everyone is welcome to join the monthly Challenges. So whether you’re a fasting veteran, just trying it for the first time, or if you fell off the wagon and are coming back to the fold, let’s make every day of January count! Fasting is tried and tested, it’s free and for many of us it’s the only thing that works. We eat what we like – most of the time – and still lose or maintain weight and stay healthy.

These monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and have been going strong ever since. Goals can be overwhelming when viewed as a whole. But by breaking them down into small achievable pieces, we are able to stay focused and motivated to accomplish our goals one step at a time in bite-sized monthly challenges.

There are no rules, but as a general guide, here are some tips for any new people:

1. Posting – Please start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting with us on a particular day etc. Look at the various posts, and you’ll soon see the pattern, and will learn how useful it is for reading.

2. In your first post, please introduce yourself to the group – this helps us to get to know each other, which is especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, your journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share only what you are comfortable sharing online.

3. Spreadsheet – It is in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. But you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It’s just another tool you can use if you choose.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q5va6oBwihLVcO6_earVMKdIWw3o6HgzkfSa0Iy5hU0/edit

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you’re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post e.g. Day 1 second post. Past history shows that posting every day truly does help with motivation for staying on track with your goals, so please don’t feel shy about suddenly posting daily; we love new members!

5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity

7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket, knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF (dry till Friday).

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

And by way of translation, we use a LOT of abbreviations. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:

5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD
    16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)
    AF – Alcohol-free
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ’til Fri (no wine, beer, etc.)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce had an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    NSV – non-scale victory (courtesy of @flourbaby)
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of moi!)
    Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

Let’s get this month going!

Sheet for Jaunty January 2024
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q5va6oBwihLVcO6_earVMKdIWw3o6HgzkfSa0Iy5hU0/edit

Day 0 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Count me in please, @merryapple. Thanks for setting up/hosting ‘Jaunty January 2024’ 🥂🎊🎉🎈

Day 0 – USA/GA – NFD

Count me in for Jaunty January! Can’t wait to get out of the 200s this year! Ambitious, but I’m motivated.

Day 0 – still on vacation in Monterey, Calif

I’ll be here! Thanks, @merryapple, for hosting us!

Day 1, FD (sort of – see below), Aus

Hello everyone and happy new year!!! Yes, I’m back, fully laden with new year resolutions.

Thank you so much for hosting, @merryapple. I was almost 100% certain someone wonderful would step up and keep this monthly forum going, but still, I’m very relieved to see it here. And what a great title – jaunty indeed!

I completely fell off the wagon last year and my weight is now 1 kilo off my heaviest ever. If that’s not motive enough to Do Something, I don’t know what is. This year, I have 4 weeks left in the office before I take a year off work on long service leave. I’ve been planning what I will do in 2024 for some time, because I know without a routine and discipline, I will slide back into bad habits. This will be my year, focussing on a healthier, fitter and slimmer me. For that reason, I almost could not wait for Christmas to be over and 1 Jan to arrive. In preparation for the New Me, I am currently on day 2 of a 3 day egg fast. I need the quick win on this, and am already half a kilo day. I know it’s probably just water weight gone, but it is a powerful motivator.

For the newbies out there who will join us (and for my long term fellow fasters who may well have forgotten I seem to have been absent for so long!), I’m a 50-something woman (eek), married, with two Australian Cattle Dogs. I started 5:2 waaay back in 2017 and when I stick to the “rules”, I lose weight. But then I typically get complacent, return to my favourite nightly tipples of gin and red wine, and the weight comes back on. Not. This. Time. !!!

My usual 5:2 routine is DTF and WFD on Mondays and Thursdays. Fortunately, with two active working dogs, I have trouble with going on a daily walk, but I need to add more aerobic and weight training into my routine. I’ve already started on a little HIIT program. It’s nice to feel a little muscle ache in the morning! This Thursday will be my first proper fast in many many months. I’m looking forward to it.

It’s great being back on the forum and I look forward to journeying through 2024 with you all on this WOL.

Day 1 NZ FD 79.2kg

I entertained two different sets of people for lunch and dinner y’day so it’s hardly surprising that I’ve pinged up. I’m doing my regular Monday FD today and will see what happens. It’s so nice not to be anxious about this kind of situation now, thank you 5:2! I went to bed at 2am after seeing in the New Year and toasting new and old friends with Ardbeg whisky in thistle claret glasses!!
    Yeah @penz. Great to see you back here with the monthly challenge gang!
    This is my second go at 5:2. The first was in 2018 and although I lost 13+kg, didn’t make it to maintenance. I rejoined after New Years last year with the ambition of losing a kg per month. It took a while to get into the routine but I did and am now determined to get to ground zero this time. I’ve lost enough weight now that I want to add regular exercise into the mix…

We welcome anyone out there who would like to join us!
    Happy Hogmanay!! And New Years!!🥳🥂🥰

Pocket List
    @merry🍎
    @penz

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.4 kg – 🚫🍷 457 days AF

Happy New Year to all my fellow fasters! 🥂🎈🎊🥳️

About me:- David, 61, originally from Manchester, England. Retired & living in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Been 5:2-ing/IF-ing since 2014. I joined the Challenges in 2018. Currently maintaining – 70.4 kgs/BMI 21.7. I basically keep to two FDs per week – sometimes three – and have an eating window of around 12 noon to 8/8:30 pm on NFDs. It works!

@penz – great to see you back! May your mojo continue for the whole of 2024 🤗

All about exercise:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12866053/Exercise-chronic-illness-condition-physical-activity.html#comments

But think twice about joining a gym this month…
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12915529/New-Year-rush-join-gym-better-wait-spring-really-want-work-fitness.html

I’ll probably be on the pocket list tomorrow, Sending RESOLVE to the New Years Day fasters 🎯 💪

“A month from now… you can either have a month of progress – or a month of excuses why you haven’t.” ~ Unknown

Day 1 UK NFD

Hello fellow fasters I’m a 62 yo F living on the south coast of England with DH

I joined the very first challenge with @coda and have been taking off and putting back that annoying 20lb ever since

My world was turned upside down last year after a few months of struggling with what I thought was a dental problem I was diagnosed with a type of blood cancer but following 6 cycles of chemo therapy I was given the all clear a few weeks ago

I am determined to be as healthy as I can be , I’m not completely sure how I’m going to achieve this but I’ll be spending time today planning but essentially eating less moving more

Looking forward to our journey – but I’m more of a reader than a writer so don’t expect lengthy posts – let’s do this 💪

Day 1 FD – UK-Spain – 68kgs – 10kgs WG

Hi! I am a 50+ lady living with DH, DD and DS.

I did the 5:2 few years ago and worked really well but my menopause started and everything went pear shape. I have tried different approaches to lose the weight again but it hasn’t worked so far.

I would love to join this journey!
    💪💪💪💪💪💪💪

Day 1-FD-No. VA USA

First started fasting in 2017; lost 10+ kgs, and then gradually did not do maintenance, and returned to intermittent fasting this past year in March. So far have maintained a 4kg loss, but unfortunately, I have over-emphasized the “intermittent” part of the fasting plan! So of course, resolving to be more consistent this year. I need to lose another 6-7kg.
    I am 73, actively working as a pediatrician but due to retire this year in the summer. This group is very supportive and friendly and also an <interesting> bunch! Thank you @merryapple for hosting. And welcome to @mmp and welcome back to @penz! @brightonbelle, so sorry to hear of your health difficulties and wishing you the best for this year. Good to see your name again!
    Happy New Year to all.

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 229 lbs. Time for black-eyed peas per southern tradition, so no fasting today. I’m diving into fasting tomorrow though!

Day 1 – still on vacation in Monterey, CA – NFD

@brightonbelle On, my goodness, what a health trauma you went through; I’m so glad you’re healed and are cancer-free.🥰😘

@mmp Welcome to our fold; we look forward to getting to know you as much as you choose to share!

@penz Oh, such joy both to have you back and hear the obvious mojo!

We’re still here tomorrow then fly home to Nebraska on Wednesday. I’m having a lovely time but am almost longing to be back to reality, so this vacation is accomplishing just what vacations are supposed to accomplish, lol!

I’ll have my goals set out by the time I get home and will post them on Thursday morning; like many, I plan to add some sort exercise to my life; what that will look like is still up in the air.

Okay, time to go be the baby sister!

Day 1 Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾
    157 lbs
    Fab new year 2024 ⭐️

Hi all, happy new year everybody! I’m shattered after last night’s party and travel home in dreadful weather. A wet start to the new year but it will be a good one… I feel it in my bones.
    @brightonbelle my god what shocking news 😢 but I’m so glad to hear you are managing well now…💕
    God, how things just come and hit you from left field. So glad to have you here! And @metatauta and @penz hello hello!!!

Welcome @mmp!
    You’ll see we all post as much or as little as we can but ultimately are here to support you and each other each month.

Thanks @merryapple ⭐️⭐️ for bringing us gently into this new year and thank you @northgeorgia for hosting the December challenge.
    I am getting back to maintenance in the next 3 weeks and will be content to stay there.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 – UK – NFD

Happy New Year to all – may 2024 be a good one for us all 🤗

Thank you dear @merryapple for starting us off with a Jaunty January challenge

I started off the New Year with a 10.5mile walk with a good friend today – blue skies and sunshine and lots of laughter – and best of all managed to stay under TDEE for the day….

I’m hoping to find my Mojo again this year as 2023 was a bit of an up and down year, weight and fasting wise, admittedly ending up more up than down after a December involving little fasting and way too much good food and wine – Needing to focus this month so planning my first FD of 2024 tomorrow.

Lovely to see old names and new ones joining the first challenge of 2024 @merryapple @funshipfreddie @northgeorgia @stitchincarol @penz @brightonbelle @mmp @excelsior12309 @jaifaim

@brightonbelle – what a health trauma you went through; I’m so glad you are now cancer-free.🥰 and back with us on this journey
    @mmp – Welcome to our little group
    @penz – great to have you back with a renewed MOJO

Despite a bad December I have only put on an extra 1.3kg weighing in at 63.7kg this morning…..way too high but at least I know what I need to do this month…….focus and work to get back to maintenance

More than ever I need to remind myself that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

Happy New Year, fellow fasters! So great to see so many familiar names around, back on the challenges.

Bit of history: I began 5:2 in March 2016 then joined @coda in May that year and have kept up with everyone ever since, lately with lesser degree of participation. Been busy with P.E.O., Choral Society, Children’s Museum, and now building a new house. We hope to be in it late winter. My name is Gwynne, live with DH and have 4 grown children, 3 SIL’s, 6 granddaughters all scattered over the country.

I was pushing 200# (90.7kg) with only gaining in sight. A WWF pal told me about 5:2, I read the book, and started in earnest. Lost 40# (18kg) over the next 10 months and have pretty much kept it off since with the help of these wonderful supporters here. But maintenance is no walk in the park!

I plan to do my best to read up on your lives and posts as best I am able.

@merryapple – thank you so much for keeping this challenge going. I hope to be very ‘jaunty’ this January!

Onward and downward.

Day 1. NFD

Happy New Year, everyone!

Day 1 USA/Hawai’i NFD
    I am a widow, age 77. Started here about 6 years ago, took a break and returned 4 years later in Oct. 2022. I plan to stick with it the rest of my days. Such great support!

Weigh in 162 lbs today. Goal for this month is to get out of the 160’s and be firmly planted in the 150’s. With consistent weekly FD’s it should be attainable.

Additional goals include walking to the beach near my house every morning and evening around sunrise and sunset, doing 30 minute work out on recumbent bike which includes some upper body movements with small weights and somehow sleeping 6 to 8 hours straight at night. Retraining myself after many years of 24/7 caregiving.
    Best wishes and welcome to all returning to the group!

Delightful house guests lefts this morning. Just returned from dropping them at airport, then a trip to visit DH’s resting place, breakfast out with DS and now finally back home and relaxing!

Day2 Auckland NZ NFD 78.7kg 🏃‍♀️

I’m having trouble posting from my iPhone so have changed to the MacBook…

Team! We are rollin’… I’ve just finished my 30 min walk😁
    @funshipfreddie What a cheerful article about the perils of being a slug… The message is loud and clear – MOVE for a minimum of 150 mins per week plus two days of strength exercises…
    I had no idea you had such strong links to NZ. If you head this way let me know!
    @at I love to hear about your rambling walks and menus!
    @excelsior12309 Perhaps the focus should be on intermittent eating rather than fasting 🤣 One more kg and you’re down a dress size – if you wear dresses!
    @brightonbelle I’m sorry to hear this but am so pleased you are starting the New Year with a clean bill of health. It’s lovely to have you back with us.
    @northgeorgia I can feel your mojo rising way down here in the South Pacific!
    @metatauta So glad you’re keeping an eye on the group!
    You’re right @jaifaim It’s going to be a good year for everyone😁
    @stitchincarol We wait with bated breath for you to get back to your new computer and New Year’s goals for 2024. I’m sure they’ll resonate with everyone!!
    @flourbaby We’re hoping that you’ll find the energy to post soon. Not the best way to start the NY off…
    @maui You have a beautiful routine sorted out!
    @penz You’re up next to post since the new day commences south of the Equator!
    Ooh two new posts from old friends – @ccco Hello hello! and @songbirdme Lovely to hear from you too!
    Maintaining maintenance is, after all, the how-to-be successful for ever part of the 5:2 WOL!

Onwards and Downwards!!

Day 2, egg FD, Aus

Hello everyone. It’s me, @merryapple! You can track the turning of the earth by the order of who posts!

Your quote (“A month from now… you can either have a month of progress – or a month of excuses why you haven’t.”) resonated with me @funshipfreddie. My OH decided to lay off the booze last year and do a keto diet. It would have been too easy to join him but I didn’t. He lost weight, and a month down the track I was regretting my decision!

Oh gosh, @brightonbelle – having been absent from the forum for so long I had completely missed your dreadful news about your cancer diagnosis. Congratulations on getting the all clear! What a great way to start the new year, and I know you will have additional motivation to stay healthy. And we’ll all help you keep that mojo going!

Welcome @mmp. Are you lucky enough to be bouncing between living in both the UK and Spain?

I’ve just come back from donating plasma. I’ve been a whole blood donor for years but this was my first plasma donation. Quite fascinating! I did not know that, while they always take the same volume of whole blood, the amount of plasma they take is calculated based on your weight and height. Even then as a first time donor, they took less than they would normally, and will slowly increase the amount over my next three donations. I dared not ask whether they take more as my weight decreases! (I hope so – extra motivation to drop those kilos!)

Today is my last day of the 3-day egg fast. At the donor centre, they had milkshakes, bags of chips (crisps), sausage rolls and other such food on offer for the donors. NONE of it was at all appealing, which made me feel even more confident that my mojo has returned and taken up residence. I’m happy to share!

Lunch out with some girlfriends tomorrow which I’m looking forward to. I’ve had enough of eggs for the moment! Weigh in in the morning (which I rarely do, preferring to go by how I feel and how my clothes fit).

2nd post Day2

I see a new name on the sheet!
    Welcome @SquareBC from Michigan😊
    When you feel ready we’d love you to introduce yourself.
    Cheers!

Day 2 Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Hi @songbirdme and @ccco 💕💕

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List Day 2 🍳
    @penz
    @jaifaim

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@brightonbelle – welcome back! So glad to hear you’re okay; I can’t imagine what you’ve been through the last few months. Wishing you only good news for 2024 🤗

@ccco – welcome back, & @mmp – welcome back to you too! Are you British living in Spain, or vice versa?

@merryapple – thanks, I will. I haven’t been to NZ since 2017. My Snells Beach friend is planning a big trip this year to mark her 60th birthday. She’s going to a few countries, including visiting her mum in the Canary Islands & me here in SA. “The perils of being a slug..” 😂

@stitchincarol – wishing you a hassle-free trip home tomorrow 🛫

@penz – I hope the egg fast is going okay. Some people stay on it for longer, but I don’t think I did longer than 3 days. Is your OH still AF?

It’s World Introvert Day
    https://introvertdear.com/news/introvert-indulgences-for-world-introvert-day-on-jan-2/

Anyone attempting Dry January may find this interesting:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12912357/Dry-January-hidden-alcohol-addiction-soberistas.html

Pocket List – Day 2 🍳
    @penz – 🥚 fast
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie

Day 3 UK FD800

Recalling a tv programme I saw a couple of years ago I’m aiming to kickstart my weight loss with 2 weeks on fast 800 , I’m conscious it’s been a while since I fasted so it may be plan b comes in but I’m giving a go

Pocket List – Day 2 🍳
    @penz – 🥚 fast
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 232 lbs. What the heck happened? Doesn’t matter, the holiday is over and I’m aggressively fighting my way out of the 200s permanently. Hoping to start January off with a bang!

Pocket List – Day 2 🍳
    @penz – 🥚 fast
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia

Day 2 – UK – TDEE

Today’s walk was overcast and drizzly and only half the distance of yesterday’s but good company and catch up with the regular gang after the Christmas break – not going to be my planned FD as we decided to have lunch after the walk…..so moving the FD to tomorrow b

Lovely to see @songbirdme popping in to say hello and to hear that maintenance is going well for her

@ccco – nice to see you back on these challenges – it’s been a while since we heard from you
    @maui – good to see that you are taking care of yourself and have a lovely routine planned

Christmas decorations all tidied away until next year, now the house needs a good clean and tidy up!!!

Good luck to today’s fasters 🍎

Day 2, Germany, FD800

Hi everyone!

Thank you @merryapple for hosting!

After doing well for a while, I’m out of maintenance so it’s time to get serious again.

I’ll write more tomorrow as I’m out to play a game I don’t know the English name of, it’s like bowling but with a smaller ball.

Pocket List – Day 2 🍳
    @penz – 🥚 fast
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 2 USA (Illinois) FD

Thanks so much for the lovely greetings. So great to see so many familiar names, and even some new ones!

Had a nice New Years party yesterday but need a reset today. My norm in maintenance has been generally one FD per week but lots of days of OMAD, occasionally with some dessert at night that helps me sleep.

Hubs got up earlier than I did and messed with the thermostat. Now the heat is not coming on at all — our heating/cooling company said they could be here this afternoon. It’s 0940 now, so we will do with space heaters til then. I am already always cold on FD’s, so hot tea will be my recipe.

Pocket List – Day 2 🍳
    @penz – 🥚 fast
    @jaifaim
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @songbirdme

Onward and downward.

Day 2 – Monterey, California

I went walking with my 81yo sister and her friend this morning: 2.5 miles along a path parallel to the beach/wharf/etc. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the wind is absent, lovely chatter…pure bliss.

This afternoon is wandering around Carmel. I may cook again tonight (sous vide Asian-marinade flank steak) or we may go out or we may order in pizza… such difficult decisions. 😂 😂

Tonight we pack because we need to be on our way by 0330 in the morning to catch our 0630 flight out of San Jose. Ugly time, but the lovely benefit is we’re home at 1310.

I look forward to proper chatter (proper by my standards, not any rules, lol)
    again starting Thursday!

Day 3 NZ NFD 78.9kg 🏃🏼‍♀️

Hiya @snowflake56!!
    It’s great to see the maintenance crew back to do a wee bit of post-holidays tweaking to get back into their zones!
    @stitchincarol Did you bump into Dirty Harry in Carmel. I think he lives there! Have a good flight home.
    @funshipfreddie I saw on your news feed that the desired daily average of 10,000 steps is equivalent to 5 miles or 8km for those of us who don’t have a robotic arm🤖
    @northgeorgia Whew! That’s a wake up call. You’ll hit the road running now💪
    @penz I just looked up egg fast – 6+ eggs per day and cheese. What’s not to like!! Did it work for you apart from beginning to develop a phobia towards chooks or eggs? Which comes first?!!

Have a great day!!

Day 3, NFD, Aus

3 days of egg fast done, and about 2.5kg lighter. Even if it just water weight, seeing the change on the scale is a great boost to morale and helps to cement commitment and mojo. And yes, thanks, @merryapple, it did indeed work for me. I still like eggs (and chooks!) but happy not to make their acquaintance again for a little while.

Had my morning walk with the dogs. It was only 19 degrees but so muggy (wh I suspect might be an Aussie word?? high humidity) so I was sweating immediately. I don’t mind the heat, but I hate humidity!

Hope you get your heating fixed, @songbirdme. So annoying when OHs tinker with things and then they’re never the same again!!

Yes, thanks for asking, @funshipfreddie. I think (!) OH is staying AF for now but we’ll see whether he joins me in Friday night homemade pizza and red wine.

Right! busy day ahead so I best be off!

Yes, we have heat again! With the temps right at freezing outside, I am glad. Our thermostat can be pulled off the wall to adjust programmed temps, and hubs likely broke some connecting pins when he tried to put it back on (or maybe they were about to break anyway… the unit is probably 20 years old).

@penz – we use the word muggy here in Illinois for exactly the same condition. I believe other parts of the US do as well.

Day2 USA/Hawai’i NFD
    Evening post…. Thought I had checked in this morning but I do not see a post from me. I do that a lot lately… just think about doing something and then believe I actually did it. Lol
    Trying to do a healthy gut diet , mostly plant based with DS as I think it would be helpful for both of us. He agreed to it … I said I would do the shopping and cooking this week. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve been watching Healthy Immune Doc, a YouTube channel. She does mention setting an eating window of 6 to 8 hours so it’s fits nicely with this WOL. But today we are having dinner too late but tomorrow will be better.

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.1 kg

My first FD of 2024 done & dusted, & oodles of PFDS today 😇

I have to drive the minibus a little later. At the crack of dawn. Well, 9:30 am. I don’t really like human interaction so early in the day 😅 We have a 12/14 seater bus, & every Wednesday a volunteer driver helps those who can’t/don’t drive with a local shopping trip. It usually clashes with the line-dancing, but I can’t wangle my way out of it this week. It should be interesting; I haven’t driven a vehicle this big for about 35 years. What could go wrong? 😳 It’s only about 2 km though. I just hope I don’t have a dozen back-seat drivers 🤐

@snowflake56 – welcome back! 👏

@at – You used the ‘L’ word?! 😱 I’ll say it before @stitchincarol does 😅 – no luck🍀 required on a FD. A little planning maybe, a heaped teaspoonful of RESOLVE and – voila! You’ll be back to maintenance in no time 🎯

@merryapple – under 79 already?! 💪

DIY tests that reveal how fit you are for your age:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12917703/DIY-tests-reveal-fit-age.html

This guy will share his weight-loss secrets. For only 12 quid per month 🙄 He’s done well though
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12912349/GREGG-WALLACE-lost-5-stone-WITHOUT-dieting-doctors-warned-heading-heart-attack-heres-to.html

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Day 3 Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Hi @snowflake56 💕💕 fabulous to have you back!

@funshipfreddie bravo to you ⭐️
    We don’t use the F word either but yesterday was an epic mess up 😂 for me… so today I go again…
    I had brought chocolates in for the work gang but saw they were handmade and GF so had some, then more … and was down a sugary route before I knew it and the day ended up with me trying a wide range of sugary treats I’d had in my house since way before Christmas 😂.
    This is what happens to me and why I stay off sugar as much as I can…
    I weighed this morning out of interest (sweet and salt popcorn was also had) and I was truly shocked by the number… so… this is my kickstart day… none of it was worth it let me tell you 🤡 although delicious at the time…
    Today I feel pretty grim… that’s not guilt 😂 but achey joints etc.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List Day 3 🫡
    @jaifaim

Day 3, Germany, FD800

@merryapple, @funshipfreddie and @jaifaim Thanks for the warm welcome back! It was a spontanious move to come back yesterday.

Just a short version of my normal introduction post. I’m a Dutchwoman living in the North of Germany, married, 67 years old, 163 cm/5’4″ tall. I’m here on and off since 2017, lost a lot of weight and gained a lot again. After leaving last year a lot of things happened and changed our lives forever. My DH was diagnosed with cancer, he was in hospital several times and is recovering from the latest surgery at the moment. It was a difficult time but we were very fortunate we got a lot of help.

I managed to keep my weight steady until November but after my DH was diagnosed with something new, I didn’t see any point in eating healthy anymore and my weight went up again. I’m still doing both line-dance and strength training twice a week and from mid-January we try to go back to dance class twice a week again.

@brightonbelle I’m very glad to hear, you got through it all so well.

@funshipfreddie I hope everything went well with the minibus.

@jaifaim Sugar is my worst enemy too, it’s the only thing I can’t resist.

Pocket List Day 3 🫡
    @jaifaim
    @snowflake56

Day 3, UK, NFD

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I hadn’t realized that many of you already knew each other. What a wonderful support group!

Sorry to hear about some bad health experiences last year. I had a scary close one last year as well, but it ended up being ok. Gosh, it must be horrible! But admirable to see you here and trying your best to be healthy!

My two teenage children suffered a lot from mental health issues after covid and all my DH’s and my energy went towards helping them. They are both much better now. So, this year is about me.

I am Argentinean-Spanish married to a British man. We lived in London for more than 20 years and after Covid, Brexit and what happened to our children, we decided to relocate to Spain. So we are now living there (my DH still works in the UK so he travels backwards and forwards) and coming to the UK for holidays. This week, we are still in the UK on holidays and we will go back to Spain on the weekend.

Onwards and downwards! (Love your motto :))

Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Whoosh… Keep on trucking. Going for another FD today. I’m on a challenge with someone at work for trying 3 FDs in a row. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve done B2B FDs before, but never a triple! Feeling good here on day 2.

Pocket List Day 3 🫡
    @jaifaim
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia

Day 3 UK F800

Well yesterday went far better than I expected, riding the positive wave

@snowflake56 so sorry to hear about your DH unfortunately at our age it’s pretty prevalent, stay strong 💪

Pocket List Day 3 🫡
    @jaifaim
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @brightonbelle

Day 3 – on the plane

We got up at 3am and were on our in 30 minutes. Security was insanely packed when we arrived at the airport, but we made it to the gate in time to board when we were called.

I feel as if I haven’t gained weight, but I have to acknowledge that I HAVE to have gained. So curious to see what the scale says in the morning. Chat then and stay strong, everyone.

Day 3 – UK – FD800

A moody solitary 4miles today but enjoyed my wander – no rain, but very wet underfoot and low cloud cover

@snowflake56 – so lovely to see your post – welcome back – sorry to hear your DH has had more health issues – hope you are both doing OK now xx
    @songbirdme – good thing your heating got sorted out in view of the cold 🥶 weather you are experiencing
    @funshipfreddie – 😳 for using the ‘L’ word?!

Pocket List Day 3 🫡
    @jaifaim
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @brightonbelle
    @at

Day 4 (already?!?), FD, Aus

Had a lovely day yesterday with my GFs.

Can’t believe it’s the 4th already. Today is first WFD for the year. Looking fwd to tomorrow’s PFDS. As @funshipfreddie knows, it’s the best feeling!

@penz That’s a great start for the NY! Go you! We have had some horrendous muggy days here too but at the moment southerlies have blown the cool air in – much better for dogs and exercise…
    @maui Your gut microbiome will love you! That’s great your son has joined in with you too.
    @funshipfreddie You are starting to sound like the SA version of On the Buses…🤣
    I tried the health tests… well I read them. I have never ever been able to do #1 – sit on the ground then stand with no help, I can do #2 chair in under 15 secs and #3 walk faster than 1M per second. #4 Pushups. Have got a rotator cuff injury so won’t attempt that. It’s for boys anyway… #5 Grip strength – I can lean on a bar, don’t see the point in hanging from one. #6 Can’t find 60 steps to run up in less than 1 1/2 minutes but marginal I suspect. But I can balance on one leg #7 for 120+ seconds then I stopped…
    It’s funny how celebs think we all need to follow them. I thought it was a nice story until I saw Gregg wants 12 pounds/month to join up his non professional food programme. Nothing new – Mediterranean diet, avoid industrialised food, no snacks, plan meals, exercise etc.
    @jaifaim Sorry to hear the chocolates got the better of you. Sometimes💩like this just happens… and it happens to all of us at various times. Well done on declaring it and moving forward…
    @snowflake56 I wish you and your DH strength and prayers to get through this difficult time. We will all be here to support you to achieve your goal here.
    @mmp That’s great you have some time and energy to focus on yourself now! Most of us have come and gone with the 5:2 programme over the years. It works so we return but the trick is how well you manage maintenance.
    @at I’m channeling Beatrix Potter to imagine your walk!
    @northgeorgia Great but steady goes the horse… you don’t want to put your system into starvation mode ie breaking down lean muscles for energy…
    @songbirdme Glad you’re warm again!
    @stitchincarol Home is where the heart is❤️ We wait to hear your news!

Onward and downward one and all!

Pocket List
    @merry🍎

This post needs to be headed up with
    Day 4 NZ FD 78.8kg

Cheers everyone!

Day 4 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Good FD yesterday – hurrah! And today a Christmas lunch out.. or we are calling it a Nollaig na mBan lunch as it’s just the girls… (an Irish tradition – celebrated on 6 January) this week has been busy seeing people who flit back home after Christmas and this is the last of those. 🎄♥️

Trying to focus at work also but it’s a strange week in work as a lot of people are still on holidays… the 8th will be the big return to work.

Have a lovely day everyone! @mmp it sounds as if you have the perfect balance now. How wonderful! ⭐️

@snowflake56 I’m so sorry to hear about your DH 💕💕

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

I was contemplating putting off my FD til tomorrow, but how could I, with all the mojo around?! @brightonbelle‘s 2 weeks of FD800’s, @northgeorgia‘s 3 FD Challenge & @penz‘s egg-fast? And you’re right, @penz, I want in on that Friday morning PFDS 😅

@snowflake56 – the mini-bus ride?! Could’ve gone better🤦‍♂️ It is NOT for the faint-hearted. The gear stick is on the dashboard, & it took me 5 minutes to find the handbrake, which is also in a strange place. I had 7 or 8 passengers, + a wheelchair & a walker. Most of the people I transported are very unsteady too, & can’t even get around the supermarket unless they have a trolley to lean on. And then there was a stroppy lady who told me, “but I don’t want to go to the Spar, I want to go to Pick n Pay!” But I had strict instructions on where to go & at what time, & I didn’t budge. But, long story short, I scratched the side of the bus when I was trying to get it back in the garage! 😱 It’s not even a garage really, it’s some kind of barn/workshop, full of junk, & it was like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube. I couldn’t help thinking, ‘fine, they won’t ask me again’. But our complex manager Judy who normally does the driving, thought it was hilarious & said, “oh, don’t worry about it, I whacked the side-view mirror the first time I drove it”. Line-dancing is so much easier 🤣

@stitchincarol – 3 am?! 🥴️ Your 81 year old sister has no problem walking 2.5 miles?!

@jaifaim – chocolate is my nemesis too right now. I find it almost as addictive as alcohol & just can’t keep more than a small amount at home. Michael Mosley has the same problem with sugar – “When shopping I’m often tempted by the sight of freshly baked buns or biscuits, and I convince myself I’ll eat just one. But I know from bitter experience that when it comes to sugary junk food I have no ‘off switch’. I’ll start with one biscuit, then finish the packet. If there’s junk food in the house, I will eat it all!” (from this UK Mail article)
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12917677/healthy-food-shop-doctors-approval-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-undercover-checkout-investigate-going-wrong.htm

@merryapple – I also did the tests, except for the push-ups & the hanging from a bar. Passed with flying colours. Your comment made me laugh – “I can lean on a bar, don’t see the point in hanging from one” 🤣 On The Buses?! I couldn’t believe that it was still on TV? I remember watching it with my aunt & uncle last time I was in NZ. It’s still funny.

@at – Last year when @stitchincarol was hosting ‘Audacious and Achievable August’ she said in her intro – “So how about it? Can we Absolutely ban the words try/hope/luck from our posts and our mindsets in August?” Maybe I took it too much to heart, but it makes a lot of sense. We either fast or we don’t; luck doesn’t come into it. “I’m so lucky I didn’t eat that triple cheese burger on my FD!” 😂

@mmp – I loved Argentina. The one place that I couldn’t forget is Ushuaia – a seaside town right at the tip of the country known as The End of the World. I went to a pub there called ‘Dublin’. It was supposed to be an Irish pub, except there was no Guinness & the staff didn’t speak English 🤔 Does your DH speak Spanish?

RESOLVE to the Thursday fasters! 💪🎯

Pocket List – Day 4 🍋
    @penz – WFD
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie

Day 4, Germany, FD800

Thank you all for your lovely support, it helps! We’ll see how things develop over the next weeks. On the 17th we’ll find out if my DH has to have another surgery or if he can restart his chemo.

From next week on the dancing, sports, working in the charity shop and other things start again, it will be good to get back to a certain routine again. With the line-dance group I have two line-dance at the end of the month. We already had two in December, the first one went well, the second one didn’t. Some were very annoyed about it but we’re just amateurs and we’re all there because it’s fun and we like being together. The programm has been changed a bit now so we expect it to go well.

After a few days I’m getting used to eating less so I’m going for a while with FD800. It would be nice though to see it on the scales.

@funshipfreddie That was fun to read! You did well, apart from the scratch. Line-dance is so much fun, isn’t it!

Pocket List – Day 4 🍋
    @penz – WFD
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @snowflake56

2nd post

@mmp and @funshipfreddie I agree, Ushuaia is great, we also loved Argentina! We still have “The End of the World” T-shirts. My DH wears them when he works out with his Fit Boys team (the oldest one is 80 y.0., the youngest 57).

Day 4 – USA/GA – FD!

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. Going for WFD #3! The challenge is on with a co-worker; we’re regular fasters, so no worries! She said she may even go to Friday. I’m not haha… but completing today will be my first ever triple B2B FD. Very excited to see 224 today… good start to the year.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍋
    @penz – WFD
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia

Day 4 UK F800

Your driving adventure did make me chuckle @funshipfreddie sounds as though it may be a regular thing 🚌

My fast 800 experiment is going remarkably well 💪

Pocket List – Day 4 🍋
    @penz – WFD
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @brightonbelle

Day 4, London, UK, NFD😭, Tomorrow WILL be a FD!!!

Happy New Year to the newbies & all the Oldies too (Lovely to see some returning older-oldies😁!)!! @merryapple, thank you for hosting this critical month, time to get back on track!!

A little about me – very, very early 50’s, Civil engineer, started 5:2 at the end of 2016, joined these challenges in Feb ’17, lost 44lbs (slowly as I’m not exactly disciplined!) put a large chunk of that back on over 2 lockdowns, selling my flat, looking to buy a house and coping with a debilitating illness that hit my beautiful mum out of the blue and stole her from me last September💔💔😢

This holiday has been a bit of a disaster since I battled Covid over Xmas and we weren’t exactly celebrating without my beloved mum🥰 ………….. truthfully, I’m glad it’s over! I had made a promise to myself pre-Xmas ……….”aiming for the majority of my 2 week holiday to consist of super-CD’s, which should offset the 4 days when the word calorie will be wiped from my brain!!!” ………. Best laid plans & all that 😢😢

@brightonbelle🤗, glad to ‘see’ you back and fighting fit & healthy to boot!!

@penz, glad to see you back, you and I are definitely walking the same path …………. I may be at my heaviest weight yet!!🤬🤬 I’ve all the excuses in the world but, I must RESOLVE to do better because I KNOW……….. “I can live without bread, rice, pasta, cake & not feel deprived, because I KNOW that the food I choose is nourishing my body, it’s not supposed to comfort me, nor make me happy, nor relieve stress or any of the 1000 excuses I used to justify any EFS events (or poor choices🍷)!!!!! Food is not my support system, that’s what my family & friends are for!!!”………… I just need to BELIEVE in it and RESOLVE to be better!

@northgeorgia, your results are giving me hope for this 1st week!! Well done you!

Stay strong folks, I promise to be present and post daily (from now on 🤭)

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
    — Dale Carnegie

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 341 total)

You must be logged in to reply.