January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

This topic contains 1,551 replies, has 125 voices, and was last updated by  steffieagle 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,558 total)

• Day 3 and doing another fd. Finished yesterday at 1250 cals so under tree. Does anyone else feel a bit guilty when you eat? Even though it’s not a fast day? I expect it’s years of being on a ‘diet’. Have a good day everyone

Day 3
    Day 3 – Ireland 🇮🇪 -NFD

Good LFD yesterday. Woke feeling much less bloated than yesterday, and happily 3lbs have been dispatched. Yay.

I reached my pre holiday goal of 132 lbs…well I had originally hoped to be a smidge under 60kg but I am firmly 60kg…only a quarter pound in it so that will do me. (Notice how I use stones, pounds, and kilos, to work out my challenges and success…I will use anything ha ha 😉)

Last day in work before the trip to Peru. Already packed, last minute things to put away tonight. Luckily we were not flying today as the flight from Dublin to Amsterdam has been cancelled due to Storm Eleanor 😱. We have to make our connection to Lima in AMS so hopefully all back to normal tomorrow.

@debster251. Ohh I so love your description of your curious puppy Rosa “smuffling” around your neck while you were trying to plank. Smuffling is such a great word ☺️. I meant to say last week that your photo of the two pups was adorable.

@at please let me join the January plank challenge. I need to see my name on the list for accountability. I have been doing a daily elbow plank with an occasional extended arm plank thrown in. I find the elbow plank harder which is why I persist in doing it daily…but I don’t like planks 😒. I need to get my waist down though 🙄. So even though I will be travelling I WILL do some planks every day.
    @awilson I will certainly try to update daily on my travels, hopefully not all about Peruvian food and beer 🍺
    @coda so true about the measurements. A great visual I have found is to put the tape measure at the waistline you were when you started this WOL. The empty space in between that measure and the belly now is very satisfying 🤗

Day 3, Gozo Malta, nfd

A nfd for me. I’m still coughing and sick but definitely better and my daughters don’t think I’ll have to go to hospital to take stronger antibiotics. So that’s a relief.

Onwards and downwards, be strong everyone.

Day 3, UK, FD
    81.3 kg. Last night’s dnner may have been on the large side… may just be food in transit, ut I’d hoped to have lost some by now…!

Day 3 Belfast FD

I usually fast on a Thursday, but I have a family funeral to go to tomorrow so I’m going to fast today.
    There is a great New Year optimism about this forum. I hope I catch some of it!

@michelinme – great post – you covered just about every eventuality.
    @Oh no nearly 5 0 – an Oxo Cube is an a good alternative on a FD. The saltiness seems to be quite satisfying.
    @healthytoo – I would consider that to be a successful FD, especially given the circumstances. The joy of this WOL is that it can be manipulated to fit with any social arrangements.
    @borealis – thank you for the pocket list. I am no sugar every day, so any support will be appreciated!
    @healthytoo – I think your goals reflect most members here! I particularly like your ‘Incorporate nourishment, movement and self belief in every day’. Good luck on your journey
    @daffodil2010 safe travels. Your trip is on my bucket list, so I’ll be following your journey with interest.

I didn’t set goals this month, so here goes:
    *Drink at least 2L of water per day
    *No booze
    *No sugar
    *Exercise 5 days per week
    *Lose 2+ lbs + 1/2” off my waist

Remember: You only get one body in this life – love it and look after it.

Day 3, Newcastle UK, FD (2nd of B2B)

This forum is buzzing! – so many ‘new faces’, many regulars and the welcome return of much missed friends. I happened to dream about @belfastsink last night – so if you’re reading – please let us know how you are.

Yesterday was a day of getting organised and making plans. I recalculated my BMR and TDEE and noted that my FD calorie limit, at one quarter of TDEE, is less than 500. If I am going to dispatch the extra lbs before our holiday, I need to be strict about calories for the next week or two. I’ll happily return to 500 on FDs when I get to goal. I also took a notebook and wrote down calorie counts for my most used food items, so that I can quickly calculate calories each day without having to google each time. Finally, slow roasted a big tray of mixed veg to make soup for today. I’ll be able to freeze two portions of the veg for future soups. Yesterday’s FD went extremely well with the NYE and NYD meals negated this morning on the scales.

Great to see how many people have joined the Dry Januarians. @ultramel – welcome and please join us for extra support in cutting back on booze. For a life-changing insight into how alcohol affects sleep – go to http://www.alcoholexplained.com where you can read the first 5 pages of William Porter’s ‘Alcohol Explained’. You can then order the full book from Amazon if you wish.

@diverdog – fortunately for me (and any other porridge lovers) porridge oats are a complex carb, but totally agree on chips, cakes and candies. Phew!

Just about to watch Tom Kerridge (chef) on BBC news telling us all how he lost 12 stones.

“Never be defined by your past. It was a lesson – not a life sentence”

Day 3- FD (no2) Good morning world 🌏

And what a good morning it is. 😀 Because not only did MCFC get a good result last night by beating Watford 3 goals to 1 but I had an even better result by managing to avoid all the junk food that I tended to eat on match days. 🤗 Instead I had a much healthier salad sandwich and must admit when I got into bed last night I felt quite proud of myself. Don’t get me wrong I’m not kidding myself into thinking that this will always be the case but I’m running with this with the throttle down whilst I’m feeling fully motivated.
    FD for me today so it’s a small piece of melon and a cup of tea for breakfast and a nice salmon salad for my evening meal tonight, with just plenty of water throughout the day and a 3k run thrown in for good measure.
    @janeandmoses yes we’re practically neighbours, in fact I worked in Wrea Green for a few years so I’ll keep an eye out for you on here. Wouldn’t it be good if we could all meet up one day just to put a face to everyone.
    Good luck for today everyone, thanks for all your tips and motivation, see you tomorrow. 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️👍👍👍

Well done on avoiding the post match baddies – when you ‘win’ don’t you feel great and it gives you even more encouragement. I too am in a fast day and am trying to sick to just water and coffee although I can’t drink black coffee, and I have a sweetener!!!
    How much do you want to lose? I need to lose around 35 lbs which is 10 housebricks !! I’m hoping for some good result by the end of the month, may keep away from scales til then cos I’m easily demotivated.
    Don’t you find you have more energy after a fast, it’s weird you’d think it would be the other way round. Good luck for the rest of today

Day 3, Guildford UK, WFD

Having terrible withdrawal, horrific gut issues, headaches etc.

My diet has been reasonably clean in December, so it just shows how great it was before that. So I have decided WFD for a while to heal. I will add some watered down juice as that makes water more palatable and I have some bone broth. Together that’s no more than 50 calS.

It’s lovely to see so many newcomers, welcome. Hello to established faster and encouragement to returners.

It’s a very jolly crew.

Happy Wednesday.

Mari

Day 3 Newcastle UK 🇬🇧 NFD.
    Good first fast day yesterday,nice to get back into my 5/2 routine. Still going to to fast 22.00 / 12.00 between days as this really worked for me. I also like the idea of the health benefits of fasting. My only change will be drink black tea when fasting as I just can’t do black coffee.

Day 3 – 🇬🇧- FD

@metatauta – thanks for welcome back, definitely went off track in Dec but will try my best to remain connected through Jan – it really helps!

Not sure if i’ve been over ambitious in my New Year resolutions- we’ll see how I get on:

Complete 2 fasts every week
    Exercise 5 times a week
    Drink more water
    Dry Jan

I’ll be happy if I finish Jan with completing at least one of the resolutions.

Day 3……Florida…..NFD

Yesterday’s FD wasn’t to bad, I ended the day around 700 calories, I’m going to take it. Don’t sweat the small stuff right? Today, I have it marked as a NFD but not sure as to how that will play out, may end up doing a b2b……

@tlc2, @ Onaheathly…….. it’s nice to see you!

@fatrabbit…..I thought about you and your furries this morning as I was in the garden uncovering it as the rain poured down. If this keeps up I think I’m going to have to invest in a rain suit…….I’m sending you a very warm hug!

@janeandmoses……When I first started out, I admit when it came to a NFD, my nerves were on high alert. I really did feel as if I was sabotaging my efforts from the day before. As time moved on, those feelings became less and less because I noticed, I was eating less and had so much energy, that food just wasn’t a priority during feeding times as well as boredom. Now, don’t get me wrong, I still have a dragon that I must fight at least once a week, sometimes he wins but I win sometimes too.
    That’s the beauty of 5:2, the flexibility as well as the feeling of not really being on a diet. For me, this is a WOL, this is how I eat……
    so for you NFD, enjoy what you love in moderation, take note of the things your body rejects and hang on cuz it going to be a hell of a ride!

@ Dry Januaryers……You all know I don’t drink but please add me to your list as your big cheerleader and a hand to grab during those hard times! I got you all!

Okay…… well another day!

I’m going outside to stand, so if anyone asks, tell them I’m OUTSTANDING!

Day 3 UK NFD

I nearly had another unplanned fast day because of my mouth but then I remembered the Christmas cheese which is nice and soft and polished that off. Ho hum, what can I say…

It was a very windy night. My window kept getting sucked open as the latch is broken and then the door would keep opening and shutting. The big pine tree outside my window was thrashing about in a rather alarming fashion too. As the wind is from the west it takes the full brunt of it. Luckily the rabbit hutches and sheds are protected by the house from that direction and so there is no damage to them, just a scattering or sticks and small branches everywhere and a few plastic chairs and watering cans have gone walkies.

So between the disturbance and my mouth I haven’t had much sleep and feel rather rough. I can’t imagine I will want to eat much again, wisdom tooth trouble is certainly good for limiting food intake! Lacking clove oil I wedged a whole clove between my teeth last night which helped keep my upper teeth away from the gum and was quite soothing too. The other helpful tip I found online was to chew on raw onion. It really did reduce the pain and is supposed to be antibacterial too, but the residual taste is not pleasant.

It is great to see both lots of new comers and people returning to the forum.
    A big welcome to you all :)) I am not very good at replying to people the way some can but I am cheering you all on. Together we are stronger.

Day 3 Wales NFD

Michael Mosley is on UK BBC 2 at 8.30pm tonight Trust Me I’m A Doctor – how carbonated drinks affect diet.

I would like to join the challenge – please send me the link to the spreadsheet

Day 3, Wales, UK, NFD (CD)

Weight: 51.6 kg

Hello!
    I am loving all the activity in this form. 🙂 It’s amazing.

I actually managed my second FD yesterday. Just black coffee. However, by late last night I was feeling very very sick and had a racing heart (like an adrenaline rush) when trying to sleep. That is much more like what I usually feel like on a fast. I am so happy and intrigued that those feelings took till the end of the second day to set in. But boy am I happy to be getting some calories today!

One thing I really dislike about yesterday, is that although I was successful at fasting, I didn’t get much of anything else done. I had big big plans to be productive, and did almost NOTHING that needed to be done. Mainly because I felt weak and couldn’t concentrate.

I think back to back FD are still a bit of a stretch for me and I won’t try it again for a while. I did it this week because I usually want to fast on Thursdays, but I have a long, demanding, difficult lab day planned for Athos coming Thursday. I usually struggle mentally and physically even when powered by food and energy drinks. I definitely don’t want to attempt that on a FD.

This morning I felt so ill upon waking that I rummaged and had two strepsils (for the sugar) before I could get out of bed.

However, I have had breakfast now and feel a million bucks.

BREAKFAST
    Two slices of toasted sourdough, bacon and a grilled tomato. (And an americano).

Day 3 – Colorado USA – NFD

The holiday season did a number on my cravings… too many sweets has awoken my sugar dragon 🐉.

Each meal, especially after dinner, my brain is seeking a bit of dessert again. Drats! Had managed to avoid sugars for so long. Seems to be a bit addictive for me. I actually find it easier to avoid my favorite red wines than sugar (Oh Skittles, I miss you!) Best for me to steer clear altogether. Easier said than done! But joining the Sugar-Slayers to retrain & unsweeten my brain again.

Luckily, we don’t keep sweet treats in the house so my only recourse last night was a half cup of blueberries with one tablespoon of cream.

Busy day of work ahead, so packing healthy cauliflower-broccoli gratin & veggie frittata leftovers for lunch. Plenty of fibrous vegetables & protein to steer me away from the peanut butter jar!

Day 3, London, UK, FD,

Looking forward to clearing my system of more holiday excesses during todays’ FD. I hope we’re staying focussed as I find this detox period the hardest – I must get the booze & sugar out of my system ASAP!!!!

I’m still trying to up my steps and water intake, I expect a few successful days will make it a habit…………. fingers XXX!!

Fellow Dry Januarians, you may find this article interesting!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/0a9ee1dc-9a3d-4c5b-8fd8-0476c4c62ec4?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=bbcthree&intc_campaign=bbcthree&intc_linkname=article_dry_january_contentcard46

@strawberriesandcream – thank you for the warm welcome and for the information. I will definitely have a look. I am (and should be) a little bit wary of alcohol as both grandparents on both sides as well as both parents have had problematic drinking habits at times. I definitely have the propensity to let one drink turn into five and one day a week turn into daily, and starting at lunch time. Luckily, I am currently in quite a good stretch. Six drinking days in all of December despite constant temptations. 🙂 Feeling strong!

@onahealthyhigh – thank you for the concern and the advice. 🙂 I am certainly hoping to eat good healthy calories on NFDs. I have learnt from experience that no calories is easier than low calories (500). I often get postprandial hypoglycaemia, and my body seems to overreact with insulin and send me into a massive crash. So 500 is likely to make me feel more ill than nothing at all. I definitely understand and share the concern about weight loss though. I am going to give it January to settle, but if I haven’t plateaued by the end of the month I will drop to one FD per week. We’ll see how this goes. 🙂

Day 3 CD
    Hi newbie here, so day one 1st Jan was never going to be a fast day for a Scot, so my first fast day yesterday. And I’m down 3lbs this morning. Have to say it was not bad, I had scrambled egg on toast for lunner (pm equivalent of brunch 🙂)
    Should I recalculate my TDEE etc every Sunday for the week ahead or just stick to the same numbers until I start to see the weight loss lessen ??

Day 3 Ireland FD

So tough to stay on this wagon even though I looked forward to it yesterday…. Know the benefits will be visible tomorrow but I’m tempted by everything today… That’s the problem with falling off the rails but I’m back on and committed 😀
    My plan for this month is dry January, plank challenge,no sugar and back to feeling fab!!!

Second post
    I dropped in here just to steady my resolve and it worked. It’s funny how you get used to dipping into the biscuit cupboard over Christmas. I caught myself on with my hand on the handle…. NO! In fact I measured my waist and discovered that although I gained only 2lbs in Dec, 1” went back on my waist, which can only be attributed to my sugar intake. If that’s not a make up call, nothing is.
    @Strawberriesandcream – I followed your good example and re-calculated my TDEE. As a quarter, my FD cals should be around 460 so I will re-evaluate my food intake.
    @Bert1802you could stand anywhere and be OUTSTANDING!
    @missybear – I’m looking forward to it and Tom Kerridge beforehand.
    I’m currently working hard on upping water intake – was it you @happymargo who recommended setting a reminder on your phone? Well I’ve done it and it’s great.
    Thanks for the link @flourbaby.
    @jaifaim our goals are very similar. Avoiding those sweet treats is so hard.

What a busy and great forum!

second post.
    Yikes!!!!! Just did the maths ( as in calorie counted which I haven’t done for a while) and my supposed FD turned into 19 calories over my TDEE for a controlled NFD.

I’m constantly amazed at my inability to guess the calorific load of some foods – in this case chicken salad no dressing.
    But also had a chicken sandwich for lunch.
    I usually don’t have anything for lunch on a FD but today just felt I needed something as I was feeling SOOO tired and headachy.

At least getting back on track with daily posting and reading others’ posts keeps me ‘ in the ballpark.’

Still not feeling 100% so off to bed to see what tomorrow brings. 😴

Day 3 UK NFD

Unplanned CD yesterday as I was still feeling really dizzy, sick, tinnitus and headache – there are some nasty bugs going round atm. In the evening I suddenly fancied baked sweet potato with a little butter and left over jarlsberg cheese – yum – with quorn mince and peas. Not eaten anything like that for years but it really hit the spot – and came in for the day at c850 calories. I’m so glad there’s nothing sweet in the house tho.

Beginning to feel better and weighed, measured for the first time since I began on 1 Decmber. Got dressed and had to lie down for a bit. But excited to realise my weight is down – and my fat suit is actually shrinking!!

Wt 78kg / 172lbs (down 1kg/2lbs this month & 3kg/6lbs since 1 Dec)
    Bust down from 41 in to 40!
    Waist down from 36.5 in to 35!
    Hips unchanged at 45 and another 5in all over to go, but I’ll take that for a great and encouraging start.

Thank you so much to the person who said to hold the tape measure out where it was when you began and enjoy the difference. I was wondering whether maybe I’d mismeasured to begin with, but then when I held the tape measure out it just fell down. It’s so important to remind ourselves of where we’ve come from and the progress we’ve made, to encourage and celebrate ourselves as well as each other.

Off to lie down again. May we all hold fast in the storms and temptations of today.

Day 3 Wisconsin FD
    So happy to be here. NFD yesterday went fairly well, although I was derailed a bit by an impromptu party at our neighbors’ home. Let’s just say oven-fresh pizza was involved. Thinking of coming to this group today definitely helped me avoid too much damage.

For my FD today I will eat one meal this evening. The longer I avoid eating the better. Lots of tea, coffee and water throughout the day.
    Activity will include the two senior yoga classes that I teach, and 5 miles on the bike (rolling hills).

@simcoeluv Thank you for the link, and you are so right. Exercise will not cause us to lose weight, and we can lose weight without it. It is amazing tho for keeping us fit and flexible with good balance for as long as possible in our lives, and that’s why I exercise every day.
    @fatrabbit @molij @strawberriesandcream @at @songbirdme and many others, thank you for sharing your amazing stories.
    @happymargo love the colorful marker thing!

Re: Costa Rica @annemarilyn if you would care to share a tip about visiting CR I would appreciate it so much.

Good luck today to everyone. Take care, Markie

Day 3 Wisconsin FD. (Apologies if this post shows up twice)
    So happy to be here. NFD yesterday went fairly well, although I was derailed a bit by an impromptu party at our neighbors’ home. Let’s just say oven-fresh pizza was involved. Thinking of coming to this group today definitely helped me avoid too much damage.

For my FD today I will eat one meal this evening. The longer I avoid eating the better. Lots of tea, coffee and water throughout the day.
    Activity will include the two senior yoga classes that I teach, and 5 miles on the bike (rolling hills).

@simcoeluv Thank you for the link, and you are so right. Exercise will not cause us to lose weight, and we can lose weight without it. It is amazing tho for keeping us fit and flexible with good balance for as long as possible in our lives, and that’s why I exercise every day.
    @fatrabbit @molij @strawberriesandcream @at @songbirdme and many others, thank you for sharing your amazing stories.
    @happymargo love the colorful marker thing!

Re: Costa Rica @annemarilyn if you would care to share one tip with me about visiting CR I would appreciate it so much.

Good luck today to everyone. Take care, Markie

Hello all Day 3 NFD NI

From a very wet and still stormy NI – trees and branch debris along many roads. Be safe everyone.

Well like @bert1802 my fast day yesterday total reached 701 calories but I am well pleased as most of those calories were from a handful of mixed nuts – so even though they are calorific they are good ones.

@rachyboo44 – welcome
    @shinything – mindset is everything!
    @jr_co – welcome
    @fastflissb – welcome and here is the link to the spread sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QwPrjy2fIZCo5ds0mMMmyQPk5xdFnZ3V52ZWuiyiucA/edit?usp=sharing

@ardell – lots of people, including me, calculate their TDEE to their goal weight so no adjustment is required. It also gets you into the habit of what is required for future. If you find it too low then up it a bit. Trial and error.

@janeandmoses – lots of people think that no food equals no energy. However if that were the case human kind would not have made it out of the stone age. If Mr Caveman did not catch the dinner and he got weaker and weaker eventually being unable to hunt he would have died – however what really happens and what many experience is, if Mr Caveman was not successful on the first hunt, his senses heightened, his energy increased to enable him to catch dinner in order to survive. It can become a problem for us as sometimes we are unable to settle into sleep. There are podcasts that can help if you have difficulty.

When you decide not to surrender, that is strength!

Day 3, USA, LFD.

Great game day, oblot44. You should feel rightly proud of yourself!
    Love the analogy of losing housebricks, @janeandmoses. Really helps to put into context how much extra weight I am needlessly carrying around. And it’s not like I need those extra bricks to hold up this temple! Ha!

Thinking of you Rainbowsmile and hope you’re feeling better soon.

And to my fellow Floridians – it’s so cold!!! I’m doing a FD today and I always feel colder when fasting; I don’t need the weather to help! Didn’t get my morning walk in either because of the rain. Hoping this afternoon brings back the sunshine.

Day 3 NFD Oregon USA

As mentioned my FD yesterday was made easier(??) due to the lack of appetite and general icky stomach feeling. Went to urgent care last night as was still feeling abdominal pain.
    Confirmed gallstone and surgery to remove gallbladder within the week most likely. Interestingly gallstones can be caused by fasting??? So I was told by the Dr. Whatever get the Gall bladder out as far as I am concerned because I am not stopping this WOL.

So many more thanks to all the regulars and long-timers for promptly answering questions and replying to our newbies. 😊

Sent my #2 son back to NYC last night. Was such a wonderful break with all of them home. ❤️
    Back to work today even though not feeling great so hopefully that keeps my mind from getting too sad.

Thinking of all of you and hoping your day goes to plan whatever that is!

“Figure out what’s good for you and then create a liking for it. You have to work at living!”

Day 3 – USA – FD

Day 3, USA, Missouri Ozarks, FD

Good Morning/Evening all. Hope everybody under the weather or with sickness n their families is doing better. Lots going around here as well.

Second fast day in a row – try to do the 18/6 window – from 7 p.m. until 1 p.m. the next afternoon. I am not much of a breakfast eater anyway and can survive just fine at work with only coffee/tea/water until the early afternoon thus allowing a moderate dinner with my husband. If I am really hungry this afternoon, I have a little baggie of snackmix (the wheatchex, cornchex, cheerios, pretzels, goldfish crackers, etc. Homemade so not so salty.

Exercise going great – it was later than I normally hit the exercise room last night but I still made it. Feels good to be back on track – the room was used to store a lot of the Christmas stuff (storage tubs, etc.) and was very difficult to maneuver around in.

Ate a little too much sodium last night, feel a bit puffy this morning so liquids only is the way to go for sure. Flush out the system.

2018 SW 150.2, CW 150.6, GW by 2/1 – 145

Day 3, Cornwall UK, NFD

Why are NFDs sometimes difficult? I suppose I am trying too hard not to overeat, as it sabotages the fast days. Today, I am trying to resist a mid-afternoon snack of a slice of sunflower sourdough bread. I had some for lunch (and it was delicious) so why do I want more?! I am trying sourdough bread for the first time as I believe it is healthier than the ‘factory bread’ served up by our supermarkets. I’m impressed – but then it did come from a lovely local bakery Da Bara (I’m not related to them, just nice bread, but way too many sugary snacks on offer as well). I may try making some myself if I can find a reliable ‘mother’ for the fermentation. Does anyone else bake their own sourdough bread?

By the way – I did resist the extra slice – by coming on here! And drinking a glass of water and lemon instead. Snacking is still snacking and I have to break the habit…

@janeandmoses I like the house brick analogy too….May I suggest that between us all we lose enough house bricks to build the biggest castle ever!! Then we can all have one heck of a party. 🎈Sugar, bad fat and alcohol free of course! 😛😉

I had my gall bladder out 24 years ago, when it was thought that you should be fair, fat and 40! I was fat, and never fasted. I had keyhole surgery and recovered well despite being 12 weeks pregnant.

Day 3 USA (Utah visiting) – NFD

Yesterday went just fine. On a blood donation day, I do indulge in full meals and even a small sweet. Probably went about 200 calories over TDEE, but I am okay with that. Today I plan a 16:8 day. Water aerobics class this morning is amazingly strenuous! This teacher has nearly all senior citizens like me in the class, yet she really works us.

@coda – sorry for the loss of your furry family. Certainly loved your Mr. Caveman analogy about eating, though. Brilliant.

@oddsocks15 – I am unfamiliar with your cottage pie recipe (even the normal one) but it sounds delish.

@happymargo – your break room sounds a lot like our teacher’s lounge. We always knew to bring our leftovers there to have them well disposed!

@pashaw – so sorry for the loss of your DH. Hugs and condolences.

@mjrbcd44 – gall bladder pain is so awful! Prayers for you and good healing/relief.

@jr_co – turning 50 about did it for me too. Even though I had never lost extra weight from bearing 4 children, I was managing. Actually, I think the belly fat really started about 55. Now at 69, I am still bearing the extra skin over what is a much smaller tummy area.

I still haven’t figured out just why maintenance requires 1 FD each week. If I stay at TDEE every day, shouldn’t I be able to maintain?? But I am living with this requirement, and just happy to be still at 160# maintenance.

Onward and downward. 🙂

What a great idea – any builders out there who can tell us how many we need?

#Penz – That made me laugh, carrying a temple ha ha.

Second post –

Wanted to extend a hug to pashaw and her girls. I just read about your husband’s passing and wish to send my prayers for serenity as you face the journey ahead. I lost my first husband when I was 49, had a daughter and son in college at the time. Although it was eighteen years ago, it seems like yesterday sometimes. Although I have remarried and the kids are doing well – I say that grief is something that you won’t get over – but you will get through. Bless you all.

mjrbcd44 – wishing you well on your surgery. Your post made me smile – nothing is stopping you, girl !

Day 3 – CD

Yesterday was my first FD and I am shocked to say I didn’t find it very challenging… I’m at home on holidays this week so I am a little worried about next week being back at work with my old habits and sitting next to my serial snacker desk mate… any advice on that hurdle??

I found the hardest part of the FD was bed without treats, but I did do it. I feel like I already know the answer to this one is stop doing on the NFD’s and it want be as hand on the FD’s but a sweet nibble after diner is a lifelong ritual – so that’s a hefty hurdle.

If anyone else is new to calorie counting apps – I tried out a few (my fitness pal, Fitbit and easy diet diary) yesterday and today Easy Diet Diary has a good balance between user interface, breadth of ingredients and adds(AKA none) I would recommend it.

Such fun reading this board and I have found many things to inspire me.

@janeandmoses: several of your comments resonated with me, especially your goal on the spreadsheet:
    “To lose weight and be able to wear nice clothes instead of baggy jumpers”! I started the Kondo method to sort out my clothes. It is amazing how many baggy sweaters/jumpers I have. I hope you don’t mind if I copy and paste your goal to my line on the spreadsheet!

Also, the mentioning of losing bricks of weight made me come up with a plan to help me see how much I have lost. Here’s my plan—everyday when I walk my dog I am going to pick up a few pebbles/rocks/stones. I am going to keep a bowl on my kitchen counter and as I lose weight I will add that much weight in pebbles/stones to the bowl. I think it will be a great visualization and motivational tool. Every time I feel tempted to eat/drink something I shouldn’t I will look at my bowl of rocks and think “all that used to be fat”. I will be really mad/disappointed in myself if I gain weight back and have to remove rocks from the bowl.

Also, would like to be added to the Plank Challenge. It will be VERY challenging for me!

Putting 2 pounds of rocks in my bowl today!!

Day 3 – Massachusetts – FD

Second day of a B2B fast! I like the two in a row FDs because Tuesdays and Wednesdays are typically my busiest of the week, I always find the second fast day much easier right after the first (probably because my blood sugar levels are low), and I feel like I see such great results! Since I have IBS, giving my stomach a break from food two days in a row really calms it down. But I am definitely famished on Thursdays.

@anna6 – Good to hear you are doing better. To you and everyone else who is sick, get well soon!
    @borealis – Pocket list is a great idea! Thanks for making one. I am going to do my best not to let you guys down – yesterday’s FD went well with no sugar. 🙂
    @debster251 – I admire you completely cutting out sugar! I don’t think I have the willpower to do so.
    @metatauta – I have thought about artificial sweeteners, but as I have IBS some of them have a negative affect on me. Perhaps I need to do more research and testing to see if one works for me.
    @mjrbcd44 – good luck on your surgery!

I’m preparing for the “bomb cyclone” scheduled to hit New England tomorrow. I live in one of the areas predicted to get the most snow, so that should be fun! Hopefully I don’t lose heat or power, then I won’t be able to read all of your lovely posts!

Day 3, South Wales, NFD

I saw a few people mentioning bread – I’ve been using these recipes for low carb/high protein bread:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/best-low-carb-bread-recipes
    Particularly like the ‘soft keto’ one….

I am posting this really late in the day
    Day Akron OH FD.

So I woke up this morning so sure it was my kids’ first day of school, everybody got dressed and had breakfast with some yelling and screaming and threats from me for encouragement; drove 35 minutes to the first kid’s school, dropped her off and was on my way to drop kid #2 off, when kid #1 calls and tells me “uh, mom there’s no school today!” Seriously?!! How the heck did I miss that? So I was super late to work, and super messed up with my routine today… I am still getting caught up.

Needless to say this year is starting off great 🙂

2nd post

@debster251 – Rosa looks absolutely adorable 🙂

While @janeandmoses mentioned house bricks it reminded me of when I was picking up our turkey from the butchers (sorry any vegetarians) while I carried it to the car and felt the weight I thought how did I carry this weight around with me daily? I have a few more turkeys to loose too!

@JC_CO I have 2 jars that sit in my kitchen with those little glass nuggets you can get, one labeled lbs and each one was my starting weight. The other labeled lbs lost. It worked for a while but I found they didn’t hold my interest for as long as a graph or calendar.

Something that I have re-started is putting my starting weight on a piece of paper and and going down in 2 lb increments. When I achieve that goal I will put the date achieved beside it and then just look to the next 2 lbs. Slow and steady as they say.

Feeling a bit hungry today (2nd fast) but I’m sitting drinking fizzy water til it goes off.
    #JR-Co I certainly don’t mind if you copy my goal, it’s a compliment- what’s sorting your clothes using Kondo system?
    #coda what you say is right, but I’m surprised how much energy I have and how well I’ve slept since Monday (1st fast). I do have an energy slump in the afternoon for an hour or so, but I think that may be down to my low thyroid.
    #bert102 – I will enjoy what I eat tomorrow am dreaming of it right now!! It’s just constant serial dieter mindset making me feel guilty – hope it wears off.
    #debster there is an app called “my diet coach” which will remind you to drink. It will log your progress and you have an avatar of you at your starting size and one for when you get to your target. It’s free so give it a look.

Not long to bedtime but will be watching Tom kerridge and dr Moseley

Las Vegas NV
    Day 2 NFD
    Day 3 NFD

Finally feeling near normal recovering from the wicked cold / flu. Elimination of toxic foods (grains, pulses, cow dairy) continues to reap rewards as I have lost another 0.4lbs for a new low of 160.0 lbs without a fast day.

Day 3 California NFD

Yesterday my first FD on maintenance went well, just like any ordinary FD. 😊 It resulted in a 300 gram loss which gives me a bit more wiggle room below my goal.

@mjrbcd44 – So sorry to hear about your trip to urgent care last night for the gall bladder attack. It sounds like you’ve had the problem in the past so maybe having it removed is the best thing. Can they do it laparoscopicly?

So many new people here for the January challenge! One thing that has made my FD easier is to always have a backup meal available, something that I like. I buy smallish cans of pink salmon at Costco that come 6 to a pack. They’re 180 calories each and I eat them with a bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice. They’re 180 calories per can. Another thing is canned chicken from Sam’s Club. Those are also 180 calories for the whole can. I often have one or the other for lunch because the lack of carbs keeps me feeling satisfied until dinner. (I don’t eat breakfast.) At dinner I often have fruit and soup of some type and/or a bunch of plain steamed veggies that brings me up to 500 calories for the day. Vegetables provide a lot of bulk for few calories and keep me feeling full. FD are kind of boring. I almost always eat from a short list of low calorie choices, but choices that I like.

FD

Just been for a 3k run followed by a plate of salad with some tinned salmon (barely anything) and even though I haven’t eaten for pretty much 24hrs, I must admit I feel absolutely stuffed. 🙄🙄🙄

Thanks for the tips for FDs. Good idea to have a basic list of back up meals just in case.
    Thanks to whoever recommended the alcohol free Cabernet Sauvignon from Tesco’s. I bought some today – £2.80 – bargain. And it’s nice. -@ strawberriesandcream was that you? How are you getting on? And all the others doing dry January? Hope it’s going ok.
    FD on Friday. Can’t fit it in tomorrow.
    H

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,558 total)

You must be logged in to reply.