January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

This topic contains 1,551 replies, has 125 voices, and was last updated by  steffieagle 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,558 total)

• Slogan15 NFD London UK. Can someone please tell me what codes are HGC or something similar what does that mean.? Also if you are having a controlled eating day what do I put? That’s what I’m doing today. My first FD will be Monday 8th. I’ll be back to work kids back to school and final party of season over. Brother was 50 on Boxing Day so he is having a party Friday.

How are you all doing? I lost a stone in 5 weeks doing it last time. Need to lose one and half this time. I enjoy this WOL

Day 2 – USA – NFD

@leggit, have you tried xylitol or erythritol as a sugar substitute? I use it in baking and in my tea/coffee. My OH who was a “have some coffee with your sugar” guy is now using Truvia and although he uses a few packets, he likes it. @tsubaki, congrats on your December success! @steffieagle, @penz, @lindasue, @tlc2, good to “see” you again! @coda, sorry to hear of your pet loss.

Day 2, Newcastle UK, FD

“What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year”

Day 2 Wales NFD

How easy it is to slip back into the habit of a few (??!!) daily treats over the holiday season. Last night after my healthy dinner of fish and veg I had ice cream, chocolates and cognac. The feasting has to stop and thankfully most of the Christmas treats are gone. Minor victory today – I said ‘no thanks’ to a Baileys. The Reset button has been pressed!

coda, managed to read back a bit. I, too, am sorry for your loss.

So true, Missy Bear. I found myself getting up early and eating two or three homemade peanut butter or chocolate chip cookies with my morning coffee. Mind you, this wasn’t breakfast – just stuffing goodies before the hubby got up and we really ate breakfast.

But that is in the past (well, the past week) ha – and we are forward thinkers! The birds are eating the cookies now. I am drinking coffee/water/green tea.

2nd post,

@slogan15, no need to ckeck out the HCG diet if you’re willing to go down the healthy steady non-deprivation route that is 5:2. You can google it but it’s some kind of pregnancy hormone implantation!!!!!

For a controlled day, i.e. below TDEE or simply minus the entire chocolate cake(!) the start of your post would be

Day X, Location Y, NFD (CD).

I hope that helps

Hello,

I am a newbie to the fast diet and therefore also this challenge, but and would love to give it a try. My main reason for trying this diet is weightloss for health reasons – High Blood Pressure and IBS – and will be combining it with exercise – running and cycling.

Have not been successful with any diets recently due to IBS issues and 2 major operations in the last six years.

Hoping to turn this around in 2018 with a vengeance!

Day 2 – UK – FD

First FD for the year – sounds good doesn’t it??

Went for walk this morning with my usual group and it rained for the whole 1.5hrs! A pot of tea shared with friends in front of a fire was a lovely reward and allowed for a good post festive season catchup too!

@debster251 and @lilymartin @cornish-jane – Welcome on board the Plank Challenge – Anyone can join even if you have never done a plank before – Good form is essential if a plank is to be productive – lots of brilliant beginners videos on you tube! No rules and everyone can set their own target for the month!

@oh-no-nearly-5-0 @louis05 @chickensrock @elektron @stayinthin @lilymartin @rahul1905 @rainbowsmile @hesterfrommel @janeandmoses @ultramel – Welcome back to either this WOL or the challenge forums and also a BIG Welcome to those totally new to this WOL – you have taken the first step and the most important one – @joblot44 @sassyfast @mickyd_2fat @healthytoo @oddsocks15 @shinything @imanazie @joblot44 @h@ycharlotte

@pashaw – lovely to have you back with us – we have missed you but totally understood that you needed time out after your DH passed away at the end of November 🤗 We are here to support you however you need us x
    @awilson – hang on tight to us and we will help get you to that goal!
    @goldensun – lovely to have you back with us – I always like your name as it has a feel good factor about it ☀️ Congratulations on being a grandma for the first time and to twins too – Lily and Leo 👶👶
    @onahealthyhigh – Thank you 🤗 I had 55kg as my target weight but I find that over the week my weight varies from 52.8kg to 54.8kg – My aim is not to let it go over that 55kg mark which I have put down as a top weight marker for me and that seems to keep me on track………
    @diverdog – Congratulations on that new low!
    @califdreamer – Welcome to maintenance 😇 Great Job. I totally agree that being part of these challenges is a great motivator and especially in maintenance as it is important not to let things slide…….I also weigh daily on waking but only record my official weight after my 2nd FD of the week – this helps keep me on track and I can stop any gain very quickly by a CD and a FD
    @coda – Thank you for the update – lovely to catch up with your news – you certainly have been through the mill these past few months but it sounds like you are ready to start this new year with renewed vigour – we are always here for you just as you have been there for us in the past 🤗 Together We Are Stronger!
    @sjc91 – welcome to the challenge Sammie – I also started out 5:2 on my own but joined the challenges in November 2016 when I had been stuck on a plateau for some 3-4 months and I have never looked back since – great support here and signing in daily is a wonderful form of accountability to myself, hope it is useful for you too x
    @leewill – it is never too late to join – Welcome
    @steffieagle – lovely to have you in the January Challenge – sounds like you have been doing wonderfully well and enjoying life x
    @shannon123 – I have just googled the HCG diet and it does not sound the best thing to go for – I would advice sticking to the basic 5:2 diet – it works slowly but surely and does not make you feel deprived – I have posted a link below answering more questions people have
    @anna6 – hope you start to feel better soon x
    @penz – good to see you joining us again for a fresh start in January – you can do this!
    @slogan15 – HCG is not part of the 5:2 WOL and does not sound like a healthy way forward from what I have googled – I would advice sticking to 5:2 a healthy and safe way to lose weight

Lots of newbies have asked advice on what to do –
    *My advice would be to stick to the basics for the first month and see how you get on, then if you want to you can start tweaking things around but the basic diet works and is sustainable as a permanent way of eating and living
    *A good trick is to calculate your TDEE for the weight you want to be and not the weight you are and you should therefore lose weight a bit quicker!
    *Increase your water intake to a minimum of 2L/day.
    *Regarding when to weigh I would suggest weekly only and on the same day each week for consistency. I weight after my 2nd FD as I assume that this will be my lowest weight and it is motivating!
    *Some people who have a lot to lose have tried the 800cal diet – Link :- https://thebloodsugardiet.com/
    then switched to 5:2, but the 5:2 way of eating does work if slower!
    *The following link by @simcoeluv should prove helpful and answer a lot of your questions:– https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

**Also remember that this is not a Diet but a permanent Way of Eating!

To lose the weight and keep it off we cannot go back to doing what we did before when we gained the weight! “IT’S NOT JUST ABOUT LOSING THE WEIGHT; IT’S ABOUT LOSING THE LIFESTYLE AND MINDSET THAT GOT YOU THERE” Steve Maraboli

2nd post

Googled HCG diet as well and it is certainly not for me!

@h@ycharlotte – welcome aboard.

Day 2 : Cheshire, UK : NFD

Low carb yesterday and today in preparation for my first FD tomorrow after some considerable time. First day back at work too, so hoping it will be easy. Plenty of herbal tea and slightly sparkling water will be at hand. Will weigh and measure in the morning.

@happymargo – will use your tip of sticky note on fridge ‘WILL THIS BRING ME CLOSER TO MY GOALS’.

@annemarilyn, @onahealthyhigh, @debster251, @at – thank you for the warm welcome back and the congratulations on being a grandma. I’m glad to be back and love the warmth and support of this group. I’m looking forward to getting to know those that joined when I was away and to the more recent members.

@coda – sending a warm hug to you.

@pashaw – sorry to hear of your loss.

Day 2 McMinnville Oregon USA – FD
    My first FD of the year. I’m prepared and determined to make it a success.

@coda – I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of chickpea and your cat. The little critters become such a part of our life and are sorely missed.
    When I was living in a northern climate I suffers from SAD. I got a full spectrum light to keep by my desk at work. I found it a great help, you might check out this website – http://www.sadlamps.org/
    @healthytoo – Welcome to the Dry Januarian pocket list!!
    @daffodil2010 – Your trip sounds like so much fun. I hope you can continue to post during so we can hear all about it.
    @joblot44 – Wishing you much strength during your evening outing. 💪
    @debster251 – What a fun image you paint with your pup “smuffling” about.
    @anna6 – Sorry to hear you are still under the weather, get well soon!!
    @basyjames – I hope you win your challenge.
    @lilymartin – Wow rounding up sheep in that heat must have produced some significant weight loss!!
    @penz – Welcome back!!
    @Strawberriesandcream – Well Said.
    @at – Thank you for your support!

Day 2 NFD, Las Vegas NV

Day one was very easy as I have no appetite. It was a <1000 cal NFD and I had to force myself to eat. I usually eat ~2000 cal.

I feel a bit better today but still very malise, just no energy. At least my runny nose has abated and the chest congestion is breaking up.

AT has some very good pointers for newbies, here’s one that is key for me: do a healthy home makeover. Get rid of all binge foods and stock up on healthy alternatives. For most of us that means sugars and grains. When was the last time you heard someone say, ” I started eating avocado’s, salads and fish and I just couldn’t stop!” Get rid of the porridge, chips, cakes and candies. Simple carbs set you up for failure. If they are in the house sooner or later you will eat them. All of them! LOL Treat yourself to a dessert when you eat out one in a while.

Day 2 UK NFD
    Day 1 UK FD

I had planned a FD for yesterday but woke up middle of the night with awful headache and sickness – Not having consumed any alcohol 😟 At least it was a successful FD! Still pretty crook today but not so dizzy and managed some toast.

I’m on my second month of this WOL. I’m 53 with significant health issues, have put on weight in 3 chunks over the last 20 years: getting ill, which has impacted mobility, energy etc; stopping smoking, and menopause.

Weight 1Dec 2017 – 81kg/178lb
    Overall Goal – 63kg/140lb
    Weight 1 Jan 2018 – 79kg/174
    January goal – 76kg/168lb

First month had difficult days, mostly helped by planning ahead. I found it really helpful to:

Plan what I’d eat on FD – and when I’d eat it. Much more likely to slip or give in to temptation if didn’t have healthy helpful choices.

Fast completely during the day, hit drinks, fizzy water, hot Vegemite with carrot sticks for emergency crunch and Apple sticks for emergency sweet.

Have all or most calories in one meal in the mid evening. Something like vegetable and lentil stew, hot soup etc. Fasting makes me feel cold, so hit things really helpful. Stew and soup keep me fuller for longer.

Have a plan for the late evening munchies. They will come, and forewarned is forearmed.

Count calories, weigh things on NFD. For the first month it pays to be mindful every day. And perhaps easier to put in the effort at the beginning.

I’ve neverr measured calories before and it was a revelation. I’ve eaten low carb for a couple of years, and vegetarian for 30 years, but had lots to learn!

Portion control is key. There are lots of things which I can pig out on to fill me up, and some things that need careful weighing (cheese!!!).

Keeping at or under TDEE on NFD helps with early, consistent, healthy weight loss. Without Christmas I would have lost an easy 4kg in my first month.

Quick wins are great for growing motivation.

Do measure as well as weigh. I can feel the fat suit shrinking, even when the scales don’t move. That will be sustaining motivator as the weight loss slows down.

Check in every day. Even just to say hello and if it’s a FD, NFD etc. External accountability is brilliant. And read the posts for motivation when you are wavering.

Don’t worry about a slip. This is for life. No judgement, no failure, simply getting back to it.

I felt really down the first week or so. And then it lifted and I understood something important about feelings and food. That has stayed for me, and is helpful part of growing self compassion.

Really long post, in a month of long posts! But I wanted to give back something to this amazingly helpful and generous forum while it’s fresh in my mind.

Happy New Year. The future is as yet unwritten…

Had my first fast day on New Year’s Day. Was supposed to be 4th January as it’s my first day back at work today after the holidays. However I overindulged on wine New Years Eve and was very ill New Year’s Day and didn’t eat or drink a thing. So o thought what better day to start than New Year’s Day 🙂 Tommorows fast will be the real test.

me again – here is a link to a printable calendar which may be of some help to others.

http://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/download/months/2018/calendar-january-2018-small-numerals.pdf

I have printed mine and will highlight all my fast days, log any special days and will give myself a gold star when I achieve and complete my fast days – cus I’m worth it!

Something to remember – some people see little change on the the scales but may actually start taking up less room. Check the inches as well.

This is one for me that I am guilty of. I procrastinate so much instead of just doing! Stop burying your potential under excuses!

@michelinme – your post is what this group and challenges are all about. Giving a helping hand when one feels strong and able – knowing when you are in need of a helping hand someone will be there to pull you up.

Day 2 California FD

Today is my first FD on maintenance and after all the food over the long weekend, it feels good. Lots of old and new names and posts today! Welcome to the newbies and welcome back to all the familiar names!

@at had some excellent advice for newbies in today’s post: “My advice would be to stick to the basics for the first month and see how you get on, then if you want to you can start tweaking things around but the basic diet works and is sustainable as a permanent way of eating and living.” This is exactly what I did when I was new to this WOL. I started with 2 – 500 calorie per day FDs and figured that I’d tweak it to my liking after following it as written for a month. But at the end of the month it was working so well that I just kept going with it and have been following ever since. The big thing for me was that it was easy. There weren’t a lot of rules. There has been the occasional FD that’s been a little difficult, but those are few and far between. Usually they are very routine and I hardly think about them. My menu choices on those days are mostly from just a short list of things that are quick and things like veggies that provide a lot of bulk or quantity for the calories.

Good luck to everyone in this new year of 5:2!

Debster251 thanks for your wishes. I’m feeling slightly better but my daughters want me to stay home for two more days at least. I’m not feeling so helpless this evening. They don’t want me to fast right now. Doctors orders.

Legit get well soon and don’t touch any more sweets 🍫 if you can help it.

Have a great evening everyone

I found a low carb recipe for cottage pie using purée cauliflower and cheese as the topping instead of mashed potato. I used 5% fat mince and added courgette, carrot and tomatoes to it.

Nom nom 😋

Day 2 – Southampton, UK
    1st FD, 1st dry January day and 1st day back at work. Safe to say I’m pretty cold and miserable. Had several cups of tea during the day and one low cal soup. I’m now going to prepare a spinach and mushroom omelette. I really fancy a nice big glass of Shiraz………
    Anyway, I intend on spending the evening reading all of your inspirational posts 👍 and looking at summer outfits on Pinterest 😉. Good luck everyone and thank you for the welcome @at

Day 2- Colorado – FD (2nd post)

Cleared out all the leftover holiday treats from the house. Bundled up the whole lot & dropped off in our break room at work. Just stopped in for hot decaf coffee… Happy to see every last bit of temptation has already been scarfed up!! 😃👍🏼

Hi Jess, I’m in Scotland too and the same height as you. I am just starting my 5:2 journey I’m 208lbs not sure how long it will take me to reach my target, but I’m interested to see what you maintenance routine will end up being 🙂

….that Shiraz sounds so good 😊

But I must say NO!
    Finished on 543 happy with that. Saved some cals for a hot choclate..no Shiraz but I can have a glass tomorrow night x

Day 3/CD/Melbourne Australia

Happy to report yesterday’s fast day eliminated more of the fluid retained during my flight home. I’m now 1.5kg lighter than 2 days ago. Weighing daily during the first years of 5:2 really helped me understand how my body works so I wasn’t overly concerned by the rapid weight gain.

@coda delighted to read your post. I’m so sorry your recovery has been so tough and for the loss of your pets.
    Welcome @leewill @imanazie @ultramel @h@ycharlotte and welcome back @steffieagle and @penz
    @happymargo your post kept me on the wagon. I love a glass of wine when I’m cooking. Admire your sipping, I’m a guzzler. Fizzy water in a wine glass poured and enjoyed.
    @daffodil2010 I loved following Dakar through Africa from afar. I’m envious. Peru is on my bucket list. Enjoy
    @joblot44 Enjoying fast days isn’t weird at all. I got a real buzz during my early fasting days, hence my user name! I still enjoy fasting. Hope you managed to enjoy the football match.
    @cornish-jane congratulations on your progress and for the reminder of the benefits of this WOL. “A reverse marathon – my body feels better as I get into the race.” Well said.
    @ultramel I admire your tenacity and determination to recover your health. Have you considered the basic 5:2 fasting regime? I’ve reaped all the benefits of Intermittent Fasting by eating up to 500 calories on FDs. I’m also a little concerned of the potential weight loss. Are you consuming more healthy calories on your NFDs. Consuming black coffee only on FDs would have me living in the loo and bouncing off the walls at night!
    @bert another brilliant ending. May we all be outstanding.
    @lilymartin Can I add mad dogs … and Melbournians go out in the midday sun … loved the hot weather during my recent visit. We’re freezing here in Melbourne. Only 19 degrees C. Expecting 40 degrees on Saturday though.
    @leggit and @michelinme wishing you a speedy recovery.
    @slogan15 I googled HGC. It has nothing to do with this way of life and sounds decidedly unpleasant. Use CD for a controlled day.
    @h@ycharlotte I hope you have found the key to a healthier life. This WOL has really helped with my blood pressure, cholesterol and pre-diabetes. I like to think of this as an opportunity to be kind to myself rather than a diet.
    @pashaw welcome back. Sorry to hear about your husband.
    @at and @diverdog excellent advice for newbies. @diverdog I eliminated oats and grains earlier on but find my gut and system respond so much better when I include them in moderation. I don’t eat any highly processed carbs though.
    @michelinme good advice. I did exactly the same thing when I started. I now keep measuring cups and spoons in all my dry ingredients. It saves guessing calories and portions.
    @califdreamer welcome to maintenance.

Some excellent advice today for newbies and reminders for the rest of us. Be kind to yourself and enjoy the journey. Don’t change too much at once. Small steps reap big results in the long run. Think of this as an opportunity rather than another diet. It can and does work.

Day3 B2B FD Caloundra Australia
    Yesterday was my start day. It was. Scheduled FD but my count went up to 650. We had unexpected dinner guests. I still think I was successful and looking at being in this for the long term I’m happy I didn’t say….sorry, no visitors please, I’m on a diet…..in fact the menu was good for all of us. Grilled lamb steaks and a wonderful salad with lettuce, snake beans, feta cheese, capsicum, little tomatoes, avocado & cucumber. Stuffed mushrooms (spinach, bacon & philly cheese) were served & I had one with no regrets. I’m off alcohol in January. I don’t feel like I deprived myself, but I don’t yet have that healthy gut feeling. As I’m not at all hungry this morning, I’ll attempt another FD.

Day 2 Oregon USA FD

First of all a big thank you to all of the long-timers like @onahealthyhigh and @at who have been sending specific hellos, links, advice and stories to all of the newbies. Special thank you to @coda for adding people to the spreadsheet for me. 😊

(So wonderful to have you here again @coda and sorry for you kitty).

@leewill–are you in Portland metro or elsewhere in Oregon? It’s amazing that in this international forum we have quite a few from our area.

@flourbaby–yes I consider NYE a success. 🎉 (never mind the whole asleep at midnight thing).

@at your advice to newbies and seconded by @califdreamer is exactly what I have been doing. Focusing on the basics is step #1. I hope that in the following months I’ll be able to incorporate B2B and ALF’s. But first I just need to tighten up the true 5:2 and that is my January plan. Also want to pick up my exercise piece.

I will update later this week after a trip to the Dr. but suspect I am having issues with my gall bladder out of the blue. Have had two “incidents” Saturday afternoon and last evening that I have no other explanation for. Severe abdominal cramping that could not be relieved–though I wanted to throw up, but literally left my shaking, cold sweat and having to lay down with a heating pad on my gut just to breathe. I am not an alarmist, and am rarely ill and I was sincerely scared on Saturday. Last evening’s was not as severe, but was so uncomfortable that I had to leave a final party for my son and friends (at OUR house!) to go lie down upstairs. It was no fun.
    Anyways…it’s making today’s FD a no-brainer. 😄

Hoping to catch up on all the posts later today but it is the last day with all my boys home and we are enjoying the final hours. @debster251 I know you can relate.

“Figure out what’s good for you, then create a liking for it. You have to work at living!”

Keep working. 💪🏼

Hi Ardell, good luck with your 5:2 journey, hope you find it as enjoyable as I do. I’m keeping plenty of soup and hot drinks on hand to get through this driech January. Keep us posted.

DAY 2 – Cardiff UK – FD

Well I wasn’t initially planning a FD today, but I stepped on the scales this morning and saw 11 stone for the first time in over 2 months fuelled by snacking on salted cashews last night and enough is enough.

Only a couple of hours until bed and managed so far with water and black coffee. Determined to make my first FD of the year a good one. The scales tomorrow had better be kind.

Thanks for all your kind words regarding the loss of my husband. We’re finding a new ‘normal’ and doing well. So proud of my 19 and 16 year old girls. Life has been turned upside down for the last 5 years and they’ve coped so well.

Tomorrow hoping to have a sensible NFD and minimise the consumption of the last few treats still hanging around. Disappointed at the spike in weight, but this time last year I was 25lb heavier so I know I can do this.

Thank you for the info sorry I’m trying to navigate my way round might take a while 😁
    I’m going to Google HGC as well now

Human Chorionic Gonadatrophin

@pashaw – well done on your FD, stay strong nearly bedtime! Its not easy getting back to it after the seasonal treats!!!

Day 2,Germany, NFD
    Whoa! What an activity forum already once more!
    Still haven’t weighed in and decided to wait until things are back to normal and I’ve had 2 FDs in a week 😉
    Right now we are at Feldberg for a short skiing vacation and I am not fasting here. Just sticking to 3 meals a day, no snacks no sugar AND no alcohol 💪👍🍶!
    I think, January will be a good month, take care everybody and happy fastings!

Just googled HCG………NO!!!!!!!
    @miraclelou – have a great holiday and congrats on keeping controlled.

Day 3 – FD – Mornington Peninsula Australia

After a lovely day yesterday lazing on the porch at our friends’ horse property followed by some lovely red wine and cheese I am ready to say goodbye to wine for the rest of January. So very happy to have my 2nd FD for the week. Going into our local Wednesday market to see what fresh produce I can find to fill my fridge and pantry with.

So I have added myself to the growing list for a dry January. Good luck everyone!

Pocket Dry-Januarians list
    @emma-taylor
    @strawberriesandcream
    @awilson
    @happymargo
    @onahealthyhigh
    @soup dragon
    @molij
    @rainbowsmile
    @bigviking
    @debster251
    @Oh no nearly 5 0
    @miraclelou
    @tlc2
    @toddybear (beginning on the 16th)
    @healthytoo
    @flourbaby
    @chickensrock!

DAY 2 Yeovil UK FD
    DAY 1 NFD

Well, that didn’t go quite as planned. Was really raring to go and had intended the first day of the new year to be a fast day. Well, change of family plans put paid to that and it turned into a NFD, albeit quite a controlled one and it did give me the opportunity to finish off the leftover new year’s eve wine! Don’t need to sign up to dry January as alcohol doesn’t really do it for me, (I prefer to eat my calories) hence the half bottle of wine lurking.
    Anyhooo – that’s all behind me now and today was a good FD. No breakfast (I’m sure all my problems with weight started when certain other slimming clubs insisted that breakfast should be eaten whether you really wanted it or not.) Lunch was home made veg soup and then fish with veggies at 6.
    The intention is another similar FD tomorrow and possibly Friday depending how I get on. Today was fairly easy but that could be speaking too soon!
    What I like about the 5:2 is that a slip up in plans doesn’t make me feel I’ve ruined everything. It’s just today and I can rectify it by just rescheduling the FD.
    I only intend to weigh once a week so will be eager to see if this way of eating will have an effect.

hello all im rejoining the 5:2 wol after 3 years. i have 2-3 stone to lose and im determined ☺ bring it on cant wait xxx

Day 2 North Wales NFD

Day 2, windy UK, NFD .

I haven’t had time to weigh myself yet, and I don’t want to do it now in the evening, so will wait till tomorrow. Its been one hectic day, need to chill now.

@debster251 , @coda that explains missing smileys, I’m posting from my laptop thats why I can’t find them, thank you.

And thank you everyone for a warm welcome, its encouraging 😀

I believe feeling positive is half of the job done 🙂

Day 3 country West Australia FD

Day 2, Guildford UK, FD

Success!

Mari

Day 2 – Iceland – NFD

@leggit – Your post really sums it up for me! This is also my third month of this WOL and it is absolutely working, so I intend to keep on. My biggest weakness is chocolate, but I managed to follow the no sugar on weekdays rule for six weeks before Christmas (first time in years without chocolate every single day). It felt sooo good and the results were also very satisfying so I am excited to join you! And btw get well soon!

@cornish-jane – thanks for an encouraging post, I still have about 30kg to lose so I am grateful for your reminder that there will be some benefits to enjoy along the way.

How about a pocket list for the “no sugar on weekdays” peeps?
    So far I counted three members 🙂 if I missed anyone, please add yourselves to the list!
    @leggit
    @debster251
    @borealis

Newbie—First post—first FD. Colorado, USA

I’ve never been much of a dieter, and was pretty thin all my life, until I turned 50. Now, 13 years later, the weight has really crept up, with a gain of about 2 pounds a year. I need to lose about 25 pounds/2 stone/13 Kg (I love that this is such an international group!)

I’ve been thinking about trying 5:2 for a while, but of course had to put it off until after the holidays. I’m so happy to have found this forum, and hope it will help keep me on track.

It’s 5 pm on my first FD, and it hasn’t be difficult so far, but I know my biggest eating and drinking time is in the evening. I love to cook and do a lot of sampling and wine sipping while creating meals. Instead of starting that usual routine, I am going to use the time to catch up on this board. Fortunately, I pre-made some turkey soup to have for dinner tonight, so I won’t be tempted into my usual pattern.

I’m looking forward to being part of this interesting group of people!

Apologies if you’ve seen this post before…I posted it somewhere, but as I’m learning to use the app as well as the program, I’m not sure I placed this accurately in the right place yesterday.

Day 1, Caloundra in Qld Australia, FD
    I’m a Newbie, wanting to build good long term health benefits rather than my usual ‘flash-in-the-pan’ short term fad diet which I quickly abandon and gain more weight than I started with. This has left me feeling confused & hopeless.

I am 64 and my goals for this WHOLE YEAR and beyond are to :
    PLAN (actually this was supposed to be 1)
    1. BE ACCOUNTBLE by recording each day
    2. INCORPORATE NOURISHMENT, MOVEMENT &
    SELF BELIEF into each day
    3. REFLECT on my progress each day/week/Month.
    4. CONNECT with the 5:2 & 16:8 community for support & inspiration.

Specifically, my goals for January are:l
    1. To exercise every day in some way…no days off.
    2. To have 2 fast days and 5 days of eating ‘normally’ not exceeding my TDEE, preferably keeping to 80% of it.
    3. Choose low carb foods where possible.
    4. To have a DRY January
    5. To record each day in my diary.

Wishing all of you as much success as I’m hoping will come my way. Enrica

Day 2. NFD and dry. London UK.

Day 2 Sarasota, Florida NFD Just made a healthy supper of chicken breast baked with sweet potato, red onion, red grapes, carrots, and seasoned with paprika, fresh parsley and lemon- topped with toasted slivered almonds. Delicious! Always looking for ways to up my vegetable game. It’s cold even in Florida this week so a good winter meal.

Day 2 – SW WA USA – FD.

Did pretty well today on the 1st FD of the month. Kept all but a few calories for a yummy salad for supper.

We can do this!

Day 2, Mountaintop PA USA, NFD

Enjoyed my first FD of 2018 yesterday, slept sound and woke up hungry and energized. After more than a year of this WOL I am amazed at how smaller portions are satisfying and fasting for many hours each day between breakfast and dinner is comfortable. I always have a small stash of nuts, a half an apple, a small piece of cheese and some full fat yogurt to eat if the spirit moves me. Many days I don’t need anything, but a small portion mid-afternoon keeps me going until dinner.

I find that I am really fasting every day as there is a window of about 8 hours that I usually don’t eat at all. The Intermittent Fasting protocol is to rest our disgestive organs and let our bodies heal. I know I have improved my internal inflammation level. I coped with bladder frequency my whole life since I had my first “honeymoon Cystitis” nearly 50 years ago and now I am free of that irritant. Sitting in the car for 3 to 4 hours, hiking with the family for 2 to 3 hours, enjoying a boat ride, I love it.

We are healing our bodies from the inside out with this WOE. Fasting was the WOL for millions of years. Feast and then famine. Enjoy the fruits of the hunt and fast until the next feast. The simple two day a week plan here is healthy.

Thank you to @onahealthyhigh, @at, @metatauta, and @happymargo for your positive welcoming messages. I have never been away from this forum since I joined one year ago. When I am not posting there are other things I have been attending to. New Year and new commitment. Our frigid winter will give way to a beautiful spring. We just have to tough it out with many layers for the next few months.

Day 3 NZ FD

Day 3, India, FD
    3rd day of my B2B2B2B, its going good so far. I am saving my calories for dinner.
    I really want to get below 65kgs in the next couple of months. I am currently 71.7kg. Good luck everyone with their FD’s and NFD’s. I think I will eventually move to having one meal a day especially on weekdays so its safe to indulge a little on weekends and when eating out etc.

Day 3, Norway, FD

Yesterday turned out to be a NFD, wouldnt call it CD though, but as i skipped breakfast and lunch, i stayed below tdee….but i could have done a lot better. Well, that was yesterday. Today i will go for a 100% successful FD. I still havent put out my scales to do my weigh in…i thought i “didnt have the time” or “forgot”…but i now think that is just tricking my self 🙂 I will do my weigh in tomorrow, as long as today turns out as planned. And i need to set up a January goal for kg/lbs and cm/inches.
    Stayed at a plateau for a long time now….again!

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,558 total)

You must be logged in to reply.