January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

This topic contains 1,551 replies, has 125 voices, and was last updated by  steffieagle 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 1,558 total)

• Day 27, Germany, NFD
    Had a good day, except that I finished my boys’ leftover tortellini 😯
    I definitely qualify as a member of the clear plate club… 🙈 That is probably the hardest thing for me to learn : to throw leftovers where they belong – in the garbage…
    Good news is that my weigh in this morning showed that I at least didn’t gain any weight 😊. I probably should be happy with my 53 kg after an FD anyhow but I still would like to lose another Kilo in February to have a bit of a wiggle room.
    Take care everybody!
    Onwards and downwards!

Day 27, USA, Missouri Ozarks, NFD

Hello everybody, been away a couple of days but staying the course (more or less)…

Almost the end of the month, cannot believe it. Will definitely be onboard for February.

Will have to do some reading to catch up but want to wish everybody a happy, healthy day !

2nd post

I ate over tdee. I had three small cupcakes we bought outside our church made from parents of teenage group to raise money for their renovations on their meeting place, three slices of pepperoni pizza, some artichokes in oil and a got chocolate this evening.

Tomorrow is my grandson s birthday party at noon and on Monday we are having an agape ( everybody of our Eucharistic meeting brings some food and drinks to share) after we celebrate mass. So Monday won’t be a fast day either. I’ll have to fast the following days.

Good night 🌙💤😴 everyone

Day 28/NFD/Melbourne Australia

Very hot and steamy here. Expecting a top temperature of over 40 degrees C/104 F and 90% humidity. Lots of ice water and cooling salads planned.

Off to spend time with the grandchildren before the worst of the heat sets in. I cope really well with the heat but not so well with the humidity. Hope you’re enjoying the weather @at?

Enjoy jour weekend everyone. Looking forward to February. Somehow January reboot hasn’t eventuated.

Day 27 UK NFD

Delighted still 75.6kg, 1.4 under January target – which admittedly was a v gentle one to help me get a sense of achievement. One January FD to go then my final weigh & measure.

Yesterday I decided to have a NFD rather than a CD. Thought I’d eaten LOADS – lunch of bread, cheese, chutney & apple; proper supper of baked sweet potato mashed with butter & cheese, quorn mince with leeks and peas follwed by a pudding of baked banana, greek yogurt with cacao & honey. And THEN I found a stray piece of home-made Christmas cake that had been abandoned in the tin. But when I added it up, it came to just under 1800 calories.

Note to self: having healthy stuff in the house and being mindful when adding butter and cheese means I’m not eating extra calories.

Today I went to my friends’ panto – did I take food with me? o yes I did! A box of carrot sticks & apple slices, a few prunes and raisins and a banana plus some peppermint tea. Sadly the dried fruit was eaten by a friend’s 4yo who loves the same food as me, the banana ws shared with my daughter who also drank the peppermint tea! Clearly not everyone wants to eat the chocolate, cakes, crisps and fizzy drinks sold at theatres.

I was really tired and hungry, but also really pleased that I stayed with the feeling of hunger rather than grabbing something unhealthy on the hoof. Came home and enjoyed this morning’s fresh homemade bread with melting butter – yum.

Tomorrow is my weekly feast day but I’m out all day & going to try taking some food with me. I’ve been invited to afternoon tea in a small palace so it may be challenging to avoid gluten, sugar and processed carbs but I’ll do my best! Hopefully I can fill up on packed lunch on the train 🙂

Happy healthy hopeful weekends everyone

Day 27 Belfast NFD
    Aiming for a CD today despite meeting a friend for coffee

Great inspirational post @onahealthyhigh.
    @jaifaim fantastic on your new low
    @miraclelou even after 20 month or so on this WOL , the clean plate thing is still a stumbling block. I guess the other 61 years of my life over-ride my new habits sometimes.

Enjoy your weekend everyone

Day 27 California NFD

Had Chinese food out last night with OH and managed to eat mindfully. During the day I ate normal meals with a couple cinnamon raisin bagels with butter that didn’t seem to cause too much problem. I was at 57.8, up 300 grams from yesterday.
    I still need the 2 FD per week to maintain my goal weight, but I have 5 days where I’m eating what I want and don’t count calories.

@diverdog, I’m reading Valter Longo’s book now too. First impressions are that it’s rather restrictive about what you can eat and the purchased meal plans expensive for what seems to be included. What are your thoughts so far?

CalifDreamer, Longo’s diet plan is actually less restrictive than the way I eat now. I don’t eat any grains except some white rice.

ProLon is a medical food so that equals EXPENSIVE. He recommends not rolling your own but I’ve done it 3 times. Five days of 50% fat, 50% low GI carbs and zero protein. He says day one 1100 cal and day2-5 800 cal but I did <600 cal per day. It was pretty easy to do and I plan to do it again.

Day 27, Guildford UK, NFD

Still working 12 HR days.

Tired, tired, tired.

31 Jan is coming then freedom.

Mari

Day 26 North Wales NFD
    Day 27 NFD

@diverdog – and your 5 day Fast didn’t set you back $300. Ouch! That’s pretty steep for “not eating.” 🙄

I’m glad you guys discussed the book a bit. I’ll save my money & not buy it now.
    I’ve done two 6-day Fasts in the past. Limiting myself to 500- 600 calories at the most each day. Paying close attention to nutrition macros. Guess I saved myself $600.

One thing I’ve read about his longevity diet that’s interesting (but haven’t read the book, the reviews could be wrong) is Longo’s insistence to moderate protein intake to slow down effects of aging. Hmmm? 🤔 One more reason to consciously up my veggies!

Second post

Is anyone else still dry in January?

I am struggling to get to Wednesday!

HELP

Prosecco calling it’s siren call.

Mari

Hi Rainbowsmile. I’m still dry, and I’m pretty sure Strawberriesandcream is still dry. I’ve got a bottle of AF wine in front of me, which I think tastes ok. Try to swerve that
    Prosecco if you can. And if you mess up, just forget about it and keep going dry until the end of January. Nobody’ll hold it against you.
    I’ve been on a spooncarving course today, in Stepney in East London. All my friends think I’m nuts, but it was just great fun. I am now the proud owner of a wooden spoon, which I carved myself. Great bunch of people on the course, brilliant teacher (‘Barn the Spoon’) and I feel I’ve learned something. Going AF for January paid for it. Expensive way to get a new spoon, but a lovely day. H

Hi:

Re the Longevity Diet by Valter Longo. (It is not a weight loss diet.)

I’ve posted elsewhere on this site that the only reason to purchase the diet food is if you can’t or don’t want to fast. If you fast, the program is free.

He came up with the diet because it took him six years to get the first 18 people and their doctors to participate in a cancer study. But pretty much all who said no also said that if they could eat, they would participate. The mental difference between fasting and dieting! So he came up with the diet and he has been filling up clinical studies ever since. The diet advanced the research into fasting by many years.

The clinical studies are necessary because he is proposing that by using the diet (fasting) patients can gain clinical benefits (like curing MS, diabetes and materially improving cancer treatment outcomes, to name just a few). To make those claims, he needs proof and he is going about getting it in the most appropriate way. You will also note if you read the book (and I believe everyone interested in the ‘other health benefits’ associated with fasting should read the book) that he recommends against water fasting for five days. This makes sense, as he is not a fly by night doctor and he knows that water fasting is not for everyone. And if he says you should water fast and you faint and get injured in a fall, you will probably sue him. The diet does not eliminate the possibility of injury (after all, it mimics a fast) but it comes with appropriate warnings.

As for protein, the more protein you eat, the higher your IGF 1 levels. As high IGF 1 levels are associated with increased cancer and other diseases, lower amounts of protein are included in the diet.

This book is ground breaking and I believe anyone interested in fasting should give it a read. Nothing like having a treatment program for Alzheimer’s as one chapter in a diet book! It should be available in libraries soon if you don’t want to buy it.

Day 27 – SW WA USA – NFD

Another grey day but not too much rain but no complaints, I’m grateful we don’t have a drought as in South Sudan and area.

I enjoyed a Raclete last night at a little place called C’est La Vie. It involved a cheese scraping onto roasted potatoes after sheepherders in the past. It was yummy along with an arugula salad and thin slices of ham. I enjoyed some decaf french pressed coffee but passed on the wine & dessert. Still staying off the sugar.

@fatfingers – Maderia sounds lovely! And you maintained!

Together we are stronger!

Day 28 – FD
    Day 27 – Feast Day!
    Day 26 – Feast Day!
    Day 25 – NFD
    Day 24 – CD

Still enjoying the hot weather in Melbourne but today is going to be a bit too hot for me, but there is the cricket this afternoon followed by the tennis this evening so hibernating inside with the air conditioning on is OK by me 😀 @onahealthyhigh I’m enjoying the hot weather – only had 2 very hot days Friday last week before my niece’s wedding in Lakes entrance was around 39 and today is as you describe so I’m hiding indoors 😉

Having a great time catching up with friends and family all involving lots of food and 🥂🍷but by doing one meal a day (OMAD) on Feast Days, the other days I follow the 16:8 rule and one FD per week I seem to be keeping my weight between 53kg and 54kg so this WOL can definitely work on holidays 💃

Hope everyone is doing OK – not much time to read the posts but I keep this challenge in mind to help me stay in control so thank you all for being there 🤗

For me 5:2 is a WOL and not a diet – “It’s not just about losing weight; It’s about losing the lifestyle and mind set that got you there”

Day 28, NSW Australia, WFD
    Hi everyone, just checking in.
    78.6kg yesterday and today – up from 78.2 on Friday. Trying my first water fast day today – bit of a headache, slight ‘tummy’ pain, feeling a bit ‘tired’ – probably need to drink more!
    Look forward to seeing how I go 😟 – wouldn’t like to do more than 36 hours! See how I feel tomorrow morning.
    Enjoy your day and bye for now!

Day 28 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Sunday and my day off!!! Had to work yesterday, went to bed at 10pm on a Saturday night (my party days are over ha ha 😄) and slept solidly for 10 hours. I must still be jet lagged as I have never slept so much as I have the past week.

Looking forward to 3 B2B FD from tomorrow to finish off January, but for today, it’s relax with Sunday papers, nice dinner, some wine.

Day 28, UK, FD
    75.6 kg. I seem to have picked up the 2nd lurgie of the season. The lymph nodes on my neck are sore and large. Woke me several times in the night. Generally feeling cr*p, not helped by the scales. Assume it is the body hanging onto water to fight this stuff.

@rainbowsmile I am still with you on Dry January, and pretty certain @flourbaby is with us still. Four days until Feb 1st – stay strong.

Day 28, Finland, NFD

Good morning everyone. Along with a lot of people I am already setting my sights on Feb…a birthday month which i am dreading, turning 45! I have no trouble turning the round numbers, but these hump years do my head in! And if I wasn’t feeling old enough, my cousin who is a year younger than me just became a grandma!

Anyway thinking about goals for next month already. As this was my first 3 weeks of this WOL i took it pretty easy, not paying any attention really to NFD and exercise. What does the plank challenge some of you are doing entail?
    So they will be my goals for Feb, to be more mindful of NFD and to actually do some exercise daily…10000 steps daily except for long days at work (they are 14 hours and i don’t have time for anything else!). My weight loss aim is 1-2kg, opposed to january’s any loss.

For everyone who has had weight loss this month well done! For those who haven’t, no stress it’s a new month and new chance coming. For everyone who is still fighting illness, I hope you feel better soon. While I don’t post everyday, I do read the posts as they come through on my phone. Thanks everyone for the inspirational posts, and testaments to the daily struggles we all face. I love that this isn’t just a forum for successful days, but all days.

Day 28, London UK, NFD………..but definitely a CD!!!!!

So I’ve completed a 4 day holiday, no calorie counting, unrestricted refined carbs (there were crisps, sandwiches & pizza), sugar galore (there were cakes, donuts & chocolate), NO balancing to make my weekly target …………………….&………………………. I hated every minute of it!!!!!!
    This is the 1st time since starting this WOL that I’ve reverted to doing things I used to do regularly (in secret, on my own), I used to eat an entire pizza washed down with a fruity red, and have that “Nom, nom, nom” feeling whilst ploughing my way through. This time I thought “I don’t like this”, “I don’t want this”, “I don’t need this”; ……………………. don’t get me wrong, it didn’t stop me, but the pleasure I remember from (let’s call it what it is!!) binging, didn’t resurface and the guilt didn’t lead to self-recrimination, just a bit of sadness that I felt the need to test myself after over a year of this WOL!!!
    Am I cured? Am I heck; but I’ve taken a step in the right direction, maybe a bit later than others, and I’m desperately looking forward to todays’ CD without even a smidgeon of doubt that I won’t complete it & be well below TDEE– job done!!!!! I’m amazed I stayed Dry this week, and now I’m starting to think long & hard as to whether it’s just easier to ‘stay dry’ or to try to ‘control wine consumption’ ……………… Hmmhh lots to think about!!! I’m rambling, but I think I tested myself and kind of passed, kind of failed ………… but isn’t the real achievement in realising exactly where we went wrong???? I intend to mean it from now on, so ………. I HAVE GOT THIS!!!!!

Once again, roll-on February!!!!

Day 28 Wales FD

Few weeks of birthday celebrations 🎉 coming up so will need to switch FDs a few times, starting today. Odd to have a Sunday FD but I’ll see how it goes. Woke feeling hungry owing to 🍷🍷last night, but the hunger dragon is now paddling in black coffee and I feel up for a good day.

Thanks for the info about Longo’s book @simcoeluv I’m looking forward to reading it, not available in UK till 8 Feb.

Have a great day everyone.

@flourbaby you’re still here and with great self awareness, enjoy the journey 🤗

Hi Everyone

Please help! I used 5:2 diet in the past and it worked. However, for some reason I am struggling to stay focused this time around.

I do very well until I eat my evening meal and then, simply, can’t stop! Does anyone have any tips what to do to stick to the evening meal and not snack afterwards???

Please help!

Day 28 – Japan – NFD 83.5kg

I way over ate today. Hmmmm … Sundays tend to be like that.

It is interesting as we all have different issues, but the think in common is fasting.

Day 28 Newcastle UK NFD 🇬🇧.
    I really felt I had overate on two of my non fasting days this week but I think with the extra exercise and the 3 fast days I managed to lose 2LB well happy with that. I still can’t understand how I can be so disciplined on fast days and so out of control on non fasting days. Didn’t get out on the bike this morning weather is shocking so did an hour on the rowing machine with the help of gaffer tape I managed a temporary repair until my new parts arrive.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend everybody

NF 28 this is week 4 of 5.2 fast Mondays and Thursdays and do 16.8 the rest of the week. I am down 10 pounds and really feeling wonderful. My belly fat is GONE, clothes fit so much better. Why did I wait so long to start this WOL?

Hi Diana

What do you mean by ‘16.8 the rest of the week’? I know a bit about 5:2, still learning more.

Day 28 USA (Illinois) NFD

Our Frosty Ball fundraiser last evening was a huge success! I feel like I was run over by a truck though this morning – I am not as young as I used to be. The past few days has meant full scale set up, be “on pointe” for the Ball (I was a hostess and emcee) then tear down after it was over. Today will be fully relaxation.

Hope to catch up on posts later on.

Onward and downward.

NF 28 Stevensville Maryland USA Hi Igorek, it is called intermittent fasting from 8:00pm until 12:00pm I fast no calories water and tea only and that gives me 8 hours to eat 12:00pm until 8:00pm those hours work for me sleeping most of it any way

@simcoeluv – Thank you for your book review.
    I do admire Longo’s tenacity for sticking with his research for years when others ignored or scoffed it. He has done some ground breaking work. I’ll definitely check his book out & give it a thorough read.
    Thanks for dropping in & providing that extra information!

Day 28…..Florida…..NFD

@rainbowsmile…….I’m still dry……. honestly, I’m always dry but grab on to my hand, we’ll go around and laugh at all the people who are three sheets to the wind!

@igorek….. try chewing gum or brushing your teeth after your last meal……. That helps me when my dragon wants to come out and play…

@kerryn73…..I turn 44 in March. I’m really enjoying my 40’s, never thought I’d ever say that. I think it’s because I’m finally comfortable with who I am as a person. My friend from high school is becoming a grandmother for the third time in June and my best friend is a grandmother of two. I on the other hand still, have both my boys home and I hope they wait a few more years before having kids. Not that I don’t want grandkids but I want my kids to have a few more years of fun and games, blowing their money on stupid stuff and enjoying life before that responsibility kicks in. I really want them to be able to enjoy them…..

Well…..I’m off, I want to get my potatoes in the ground today!

I’m going outside to stand, so if anyone ask just tell them I’m OUTSTANDING!

Hi Diana

So, do you mean you fast let’s say today from 8.pm till tomorrow lunch time i.e. 12 pm and then eat normally after that lunch time? Sorry to be rubbish at this. My name is Karina, from Birmingham UK

Igorek, clean out all of the junk food from your pantry. If it’s not there you can’t eat it.

NF 28 Stevensville Maryland USA, Karina that is correct I lived my life thinking I had to have breakfast every day and didn’t think I could do that, but after the first week my hunger and fear of not eating went away. I don’t beat myself up if we do brunch on a weekend and I eat a little earlier, I just jump right back on track the next day. I love how I can adjust my times if need be. I eat health meals and no processes foods.

Hi Diana

I thought you need to fast, let’s say, from tonight 8pm (Sunday) till Tuesday morning. In this time you can have 500 Kcl meal.

So, the way I do it, and often fail is:

1) I will stop eating today at 8pm (Sunday)
    2) Tomorrow, on Monday, I will have black tea and coffee throughout the day and 500 kcal meal at 5pm. Then nothing else till the following morning. It is this time (Monday, 5pm-till I go to bed) that I struggle to maintain.
    3) I will have my first meal following FD

Is this how you do it?
    Karina

Another question… sorry Diana

the author on the official website says: “Aim for a long-ish ‘Fasting Window’ between episodes of eating. A 7am breakfast and a 7pm supper seem to work well for most people”

My question is, can you eat normally after 7PM???

I think you can’t???? Am I right?

NF 28 Stevensville Maryland USA Karina here is how I do this. Sunday NF day eat from 12:00pm until 8:00pm Monday fast until 8:00pm eating no more that 500 calories. Tuesday eat from 12:00pm until 8:00pm, Wednesday eat from 12:00pm until 8:00pm, Thursday fast day eat no more that 500 calories between 12:00pm and 8:00pm , Friday, Saturday and Sunday eat between 12:00pm and 8:00pm. Hope that helps.

Day 28, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Got rid of half a pound. Not much but I take it and this pushed me finally off the plateau. There might be a new one lurking around the corner 😄😄😄

@rainbowsmile: I am still dry and hold your hand. I am thinking about February if I should continue. I might because I am not in maintenance at this moment and alcohol always triggers the munchies.

@igorek: Hi Karina. I would push the 5pm meal closer to your bedtime. Then put on the ‘kitchen is closed’ sign (mentally) and brush your teeth. Make yourself a big pot of herbal tea of your liking, relax for a bit and go to bed. The following day is a NFD for you and you can eat from 12pm to 8pm.

Have a good Sunday everyone! ⚘⚘⚘

Second post

@rainbowsmile – I fell off the wagon once but the rest of the month has been a success. I’m not beating myself up about it. Stay strong you can do it and not long now! I take my hat off to you @EmmaTaylor, @Strawberriesandcream, @bigviking, and @flourbaby and anyone else I’ve missed out who is still completely dry,
    Thank you for that @simcoeluv
    @igorek – hi Karina. Lots of fizzy water with a slice of lemon or whatever fruit’s to hand helps me in the evening. As far as fasting is concerned, on a FD you’re just right with your calculations and your timings are pretty much the same as mine. If you are very hungry you could try a bowl of soup/broth at lunch time. Also Dr. Mosely has suggested that up to 800cals is fine. If you are really struggling, you could always try a few more cals on your FD. As far as 16:8 is concerned, I adopted this regime a long time ago and do it every day, whether I’m fasting or not. I agree with Diana, I was brought up to believe that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. I now eat my first meal of the day at around 12 or 1pm and my evening meal around 6.30 or 7 everyday. I try not to eat in between meals but am not always successful with that! Good luck.. you’ll get there. After a couple of successful fasts it’ll slot into place.

Keep your eyes on the prize!

Day 28, UK, NFD

I ate well yesterday, until evening when, for some reason, I thought its a good thing to have lots of dark chocolate 😡 . I know its dark, but its still chocolate.
    I didn’t feel well at all after that. I will write a note to myself reminding myself that overeating of any sort does NOT make you feel good 😦
    Today has been better.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend 😊

Day 28 – Iceland – FD

@flourbaby – I am with you skipping Xmas this year… After four hard weeks of innumerable FDs I have just barely reached my pre-Christmas weight… ugh, now have to exert serious willpower to finish this challenge and reach what I thought was a very modest goal for January😅 🐒
    Have a great Sunday all! ☀️

@igorek – when people say 16:8 it refers to the 24 hours in a day, they Fast for 16 hours and have an eating window of 8 hours. For many people, that means skipping breakfast, then eating only a lunch + dinner during that 8 hours.

Intermittent fasting is meant to be a break from consuming & digesting food. It also reduces the number of times you release insulin to handle the load of food each time (which is why some insist on “no snacking” and keeping all calories in planned mealtimes.)
    It can be done in many different ways to fit your lifestyle & work schedule. Some people do 20:4 with 20 hours Fast, 4 hour window. You can Fast all day & only eat dinner: OMAD (one meal a day.) There’s also 4:3 following Moseley’s plan but having 3 FD & 4 NFD each week.

Stick with the basics of 5:2 until you feel comfortable with this WOL (way of life), gather some success & confidence, then perhaps switch things up to suit your life.

Day 28 – McMinnville Oregon USA – FD
    I have been absent. So discouraged with myself and afraid to get on the scales.

@coda – Your 1/23 post spoke to me, “ How could I come here and offer support when I felt such a mess.”
    @bigviking – Congrats on your new low!!
    @missybear – Happy Birthday 🎂🎉

Day 28 Canada NFD

Had a CD yesterday and a long walk. Not going to go near the scales after your post @bert1802, maybe next month.

Glad you are back @awilson don’t be tough on yourself. Today is a new day!

Las Vegas NV
    Day 28 NFD

Finally my legs are recovering well from my weight workout. I have just minor soreness and a nice spring in my step! Added some planks to my workout. Pushup and side position on forearms. Started at 30 sec and will work up to one minute, then increase difficulty by going to one arm for prone and one leg for side.

158.6 lbs this morning with BF trending down.

Finished Longo’s “The Longevity Diet”. Lot’s of well thought out and documented findings. Highly recommended. Buy it, his profits are donated to a good foundation.

Day 28, Gozo, Malta, nfd

Today was my grandson s birthday 🎂 🎈 party. I ate everything offered and more and also drunk aperitif and diet soft drinks. I don’t want to count how much I ate.

Tomorrow I’m attending my weekly Eucharistic meeting and it’s going to be a mass and afterwards we all bring food and drinks, share and eat. So I can’t fast tomorrow as usual but will start fasting on Tuesday.

Have a great evening everyone, onwards and downwards.

Day 28 – Colorado USA – NFD

@awilson @coda & others struggling — ((Hugs!)) to you hitting rough patches. We’ve all been where you are at one time or another, for sure. I’m so grateful to have this forum as a safe place to share both ups & downs. Hopefully the strength here is contagious & helps bolster you as well!!

During our recent trip to Florida to visit family, OH & I walked miles & miles every day. Got me thinking: Why do I only walk this far daily on vacation? Why not make it a part of my daily life? …. So on top of my newly rejuvenated weight training routine 🏋🏼‍♂️, I’m adding loads of extra walking. 🚶🏽‍♀️🐕 🚶🏽‍♀️ My doggy is loving this!

For myself, I’m happy to finally (Finally after plenty of low months!) feel stronger & motivated once again. January is going well & I’m actually looking forward to my final weigh-in coming up. Fingers crossed on good results!

Heading toward that January finish line & into February with this awesome group!
    Stay strong & keep checking in!

Igorek just eat your evening meal and drink plenty of water and get out of the kitchen and go to your bedroom. Take a bath or shower and wash your teeth as someone else suggested and start to read, or do whatever you normally do so you telex but don’t go to the kitchen again. It will soon get into a routine.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all of your support xxx

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 1,558 total)

You must be logged in to reply.