January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2018 Monthly Challenge–Bring on the New Year!!

This topic contains 1,551 replies, has 125 voices, and was last updated by  steffieagle 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 1,558 total)

• Day 26 Newcastle UK FD 🇬🇧.
    My non fasting day was rubbish yesterday.
    See what damage I’ve done by the end of the week just couldn’t stop eating once I got home.

Day 26…….Florida…..FD

Did not do so well, on the controlled day, I had planned. One of reps, brought lunch, so we ate as he rambled on about his product. He brought chicken, a few cold salads and a huge fruit bowl. Let be honest here, I killed the fruit bowl, the thing did not have a chance……FYI…… fruit when eaten in vast quantities can be just a deadly as chocolate….. So, Imgoing to try it again today!

Did you know in our homes, there is only one object that we allow to control to our feelings, thought, self esteem, self worth and our happiness…..this would be the scale.
    It’s only suppose to be a tool in our tool chest that helps us see fluctuations in our current weight to keep us on the healthy side of life. But since it creation many have become so dependent on it reading, it either makes us or breaks us. Are we going to be happy or sad? Are we going to have a good day or bad? Am I going to like or hate myself today? This object should never be your end all be all, after all a dead battery will render completely useless.
    There are other tools in our chest that will give us those reading we need and a dead battery won’t render them useless…….
    Your happiness, self worth, those happy feelings you need come from inside you, a scale can not determine them for you…..
    If the scale does more to you than for you please use alternative methods to measure your progress!
    Remember, my favorite movie line…….You is kind, You is smart, You is important!

I’m going outside to stand, so if anyone ask just tell them that I’m OUTSTANDING!

Day 26 CD

Scales the same after yesterday’s FD, but tape measure already showing some movement – yay!

I find it really helpful to sit among the scales, tape measure, clothes and energy and use them to feedback a wider sense of how it’s going. Even on more difficult days I have a sense of moving in a helpful direction overall. I’ve learned so much from this forum and this group and have lots of tools to help me make helpful choices, when I am able. I’m gradually getting better at not catastrophising the small daily things and instead working on self-compassion and better balance along with understanding more about food. Who knew?!

The sun has popped out unexpectedly, good to stop and notice the things that lift my spirits. There is so much wider a world than any one moment or thought in my head. Happy Friday 🙂

2nd post today …

Deep in my fast, less then 12 hours to go. I don’t really have too many side effects any more. I do have mild hunger but not anything that drives me. One thing I notice more often is kind of a tightness around my cheek bones. It is like my face feels thinner. Probably just in my head.

When I’m fasting I often think I’m flushing my liver out. The liver is silent but critical to our living. The liver is doing a lot while fasting, but probably fats stored in the liver get cleaned up, at least some.

I just wish it wasn’t so cold. I don’t think fasting helps at all with the cold. Tokyo isn’t supposed have snow and ice.

Day 26, Belfast, NFD

Good FD yesterday. Got home, did a nice bit of yoga (I’ve got a terrible stress neck and shoulder at the moment…and all through the Xmas hols too) and then yummy asian veggie noodle broth. Had a wee slice of cheese to quell the munchies later on, but I know I should’ve just had a glass of water. Quite proud of getting 2 fast days done this week…slowly but surely getting back into the swing of things.

I’ll try and make healthy choices for meals this weekend too.

Good luck everyone today x

Day 26, NFD, US

Good FD yesterday, finishing off the day with a game of tennis. I used to play a lot years ago, but have only recently returned to the court. Very pleased to find I can still hit the ball! And yesterday, I actually got to 8:6 in the first set and even though mine was the 6, I felt extremely happy with how I played.

Happy Oz Day all Aussies (but looking at the clock, it’s practically over for the southern hemisphere).

Seriously, is there any other way to weigh oneself but butt naked, after going to the loo, before even brushing one’s teeth and certainly before drinking or eating anything, AND breathing out as much air as possible?!?

I don’t know if I want to know, as it might sound too deliciously enticing that I have to hunt it down, but what is “stollen” BigViking?

So true, Bert1902, so true and so well said. I would add ‘if the scale does more to you than for you, throw it out!!!’

Before I forget, things I have learned this month:
    – Won’t power
    – The apple test
    – Having oodles of good lunck

Happy days!

Day 26, Hampshire, UK – FD

Its always hard to fast on a Friday but the day has been so busy at work, I think I will make it. I plan to keep busy by cleaning the house as I will get home early this evening and then put my efforts into preparing a lovely low calorie dinner.

Looking forward to the weekend – I will try and be good but I think I might have a well earned glass of wine.

Will post again on Monday with my 1 week results – wish me luck!!

Saturday is a NFD and Sunday I might attempt a CD.

I’m starting today’s pocket list:
    @daffodil2010
    @bigviking
    @steve toon taxi driver
    @bert1802
    @xrox

@penz A lovely thing to try at Xmas, is the short answer to ‘What is Stollen?’
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen

Day 26 USA (Illinois) CD

Busy day today including decorating our “industrial chic” hall for our Frosty Ball. Therefore, I don’t plan to eat until supper, likely making today about an 800 calorie day. Tomorrow, at the dinner/drinking Ball, I don’t be fasting one bit.

@bert1802 – love the reminder from “The Help.” Indeed, “we is” for sure.

Onward and downward.

Day 26 Akron OH NFD – going for controlled day.

I was all out of sorts yesterday after my cavity filling, at first I could not open my mouth and so could only drink fluids, but once the numbness wore off, I went to town with the refined carbs; and consequently woke up with a headache.

A dear friend is retiring and a soiree is being planned for her. I would like to partake in the celebration, but mindfully.

have a great day and weekend everyone, the sun is supposed to shine today and that always makes me happy 🙂

Day 25 – 🇬🇧-must needed FD

@strawberriesandcream – have a fantastic time on your 🚢 Spring is springing – thank you!!! January is always a challenge- dark, wet, cold long days, but not for much longer 😊

Ahhh, thanks BigViking. The word description didn’t do it for me, but the picture sure did! Looks like the German equivalent of pannetone.

Day 26 NFD Oregon USA

Thank goodness for all the posts making me laugh about weighing in. Stayed flat this week after a few step on/step offs as well as wiggling and leaning. It really seemed like it wanted to give me that half pound as it kept flashing but nope… Happily the mental image of my fellow Friday morning weighers made me smile instead of any instant sadness.

I know I haven’t been as diligent as I need to be on NFD’s and without exercise to truly expect anything more/less? How does one phrase that? 😊

Will take my measurements again on Wednesday to see if there has been any progress (though I set that up mid month).

@penz-great reminder of the learning this month. And some great recipes shared as well!!
    @bert1802-love the movie love the quote. ❤️ You are outstanding!!
    @songbirdme–hope your event goes smoothly and decorating is enjoyable as successful.
    @Debster251–two successful FD’s is something to be proud of. Let’s take pride in being mindful of our health as so many are not.
    @coda-our fathers share their birthday month and are only a year apart. Enjoy spending the day with him. Mine spends winters in Arizona so I don’t get to see him right now.

@cornish_jane-love your Blue Zones goal. I share a lot of Blue Zones content on my social media for my side business. Love it!!

OK another work day…here I go in control mode!!

“Figure out what is good for you and then create a liking for it. You have to work at living!”

Day 24 – USA – FD
    Day 25 – USA – NFD
    Day 26 – USA – FD

Day 26 Wales NFD

Day 26 Canada FD

Going to try a FD. It’s been a while!

Thanks @strawberriesandcream for sharing the Alcohol Explained book. What a great read. It’s made me commit to the dry group.

Adding my name to the pocket fasters list:
    @daffodil2010
    @bigviking
    @steve toon taxi driver
    @bert1802
    @xrox
    @bellyblast

Day 26 California NFD

Good results from yesterday’s FD. Lowest weight so far: 57.5. That gives me a little wiggle room to stay at goal.

Day 26, Rocky Mountains, US, CD

Las Vegas NV
    Day 26 NFD

Got a big kick out you your “weighing rituals” ! LOL Mine is get up at 7:00 have two big cups of black coffee, a nice hot Jacuzzi bath and then weigh.

Today is a NFD and I will eat more than TDEE to support my lower body weight workout.

Weight is hanging around 160 lbs and BF% is trending down. Exactly what I’m looking to accomplish. One of these days I may even catch a glimpse of my long, long, long lost abs! LOL

Day 26 Belfast NFD

I’ve lost a pound this month and also the plot. The sugar dragon is truly out of its cage and I’m just going to cruise my way to the end of the month and start afresh. I actually feel weary, so I’m going to gather my resources and get my head around a new start in February.

@mjrbcd44 – I’m with you on the weighing tactics. Shave the legs and cut the toe nails too?
    @coda – a big happy birthday to your dad. Also, I think it must be close to the date when your son goes on his big adventure. A time of mixed emotions for sure. We raise and nurture our children to spread their wings and set off into the big wide world, but when they do, sometimes it’s hard to bridge that big hole that’s left behind. You’re in my thoughts.
    @emma Taylor. Your comment about set weight was interesting. While my weight loss has been slow, after a loss of a few pounds it seems to stabilise and settle at the lower weight. I’m grateful for that and I fact I think I’ll have no problem in maintaining, if I ever get those last few pounds despatched.

My exercise is well on track. Shame about my eating pattern.

Every day is an opportunity to start again and be better
    Misty Copeland principal ballerina

Day 26 – SW WA USA – NFD

Lots of food around at work today. So far so good. Working on keeping calories for the evening meal with friends.

@bert1802 – So love that quote from The Help. Good to remember!
    @michelinme – yes, more than the scales to keep in mind & good to enjoy the sun-break!
    My jeans, I don’t wear too often, fit more loosely this morning tells me more than the scale that only went down .2 lbs on the scale after yesterday’s FD.
    @belfastsink – those stresses in the neck & shoulder can be pretty wearing on a person. Do you have a good chiropractor and/or massage? They’re not all equal but getting the right combo of care can give such relief.
    @califdreamer – Woohoo! reaching a goal!

Together we are stronger!

Day 27 already. Where has January gone? Another NFD/Melbourne Australia

January hasn’t been my finest month since starting this WOL back in 2014. Only one FD managed. Boy have I binged! So much beautiful food – punnets of sweet tomatoes, pomegranates, mangoes, peaches, nectarines … beautiful cheeses, good bread, homemade yoghurt and my latest obsession, seeds of all descriptions. And the scales? They are so, so kind. I am still 2kg under my goal weight. I think my body has found my new set point of 57kg. So much better than my old one 72kg!

I miss fasting but as @coda and @ciren found sometimes it doesn’t happen. But the habits I’ve worked on of smaller portions and junking junk from my diet have stuck. I might be eating everything in sight but my everything now is not what it used to be. Good habits have stuck! Now to work on fasting. Will rejoin in February.

Sorry I haven’t been around much in January. I’ve needed a mini break. I’m hoping to catch up. Hope everyone has had a good month.

Day 26,Germany, FD
    Felt really good this week to stick to just 2 FDs. I felt more energy even though I caught a cold again… Still I an pretty sure that January rather brought some weight gain… I will see – and February is a good month to do it better 😉
    At least my dry month happened, yeahhh! Am proud of that!
    Have a great day, everybody!

Day 26, London, UK, NFD ….. again!!

Very, very late check-in today & I haven’t caught up on all the posts, just skimmed a few. I had a lovely yoga class last night & a fantastic pilates class this morning; then shopping with my mum and I’m finally home!!!
    Thanks for the well-wishes everyone, this WOL still includes the crappy parts of life in general, I’m getting there!!! @mjrbcd44 it’s definitely the kick in the behind!!!!! On the positive side, 35+lbs down means now I actually CAN kick my own behind ……..…… silver lining & all that jazz!!

This mornings’ weigh-in (I know, but I can’t help myself) showed a 1.2lb eradication!!! Considering I’ve been off the wagon and carb-loading like a pro, I guess this was the second type of whoosh, because there was very little water, but vast quantities of carbs (refined too!!) I was comfortable with the Type I whoosh, now I need to experiment to confirm the existence of the Type II whoosh!!!……………..Type I whoosh = Fast & Eradicate fat – fill empty fat cells with water – body holds water due to ‘famine’ (i.e. fasting) – drink water – body releases water store as there is no famine (NFD) – WHOOSH!!!!
    Type II whoosh – Findings to be confirmed!!!!

I’ll be planning my ENTIRE February meal plan on Sunday including my B’day Thai meal on 24th this WILL NOT involve the 7 course tasting menu of last year which left me rolling around in pain with excruciating leg cramps & expecting to POP!!!!!

Taking one day at a time until I get my head on straight!!!! Onward & Downwards people!!!!

Day 26, Gozo, Malta, nfd

I ate out this evening and though I didn’t drink wine and have a dessert, I had a hot chocolate and went a little above tdee.

Have a great weekend everyone

Day 25 Sarasota, Florida NFD
    Day 26 NFD Last week the demon was ice cream (conquered.) This week it is hamburgers! I had one Monday, yesterday, and today. At least I didn’t get cheese on them. I’ll have to have a FD tomorrow to come in under my weekly target. I get these powerful yens for a particular food. At least I swam for 30 minutes today. It wasn’t easy- air temp 72, water temp 76. But I feel good!

Day 26, UK, NFD

An OK NFD today, but could have been better. Was so busy I didn’t have time to weigh myself this morning. Oh well, will do it tomorrow.

@onahealthyhigh thats so good to read, thats what my goal is, to create new good habits that will stick and become new routine, something I don’t have to work on.
    Pleased for you 🙂

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Can’t believe January is almost over :O

Will definitely join February challenge 😊

Day 27 – Japan – NFD 82.0kg

Went closer to 39 hours on my fast. I’m working on my breakfast that has 4 servings of fruit.

@bert1802 – I find a vast quantity of chocolate doesn’t seem to be very much and can be easily consumed. I haven’t manage to consume enough whole fruits to equal that damage and believe I’ve tried! Even throwing in dried fruits (which are often cheaper in Japan) I don’t see the same effects. However if I even eat one chocolate covered ice cream bar a day, I start packing on fat after a few days. I think there other differences too.

* With fruit I reach I point where I simply don’t want to eat anymore. With chocolate I don’t seem to reach the point and would probably slip into a coma if I didn’t control my consumption of it.

* With fruit my digestion becomes very active and it seems much of fructose is probably converted to less socially acceptable byproducts. Probably a touch of fructose intolerance. With chocolate is pure constipation city.

Your post was OUTSTANDING just like you!

Day 27, NSW Australia, NFD
    Hi everyone
    Just checking in. Was 78.2 yesterday, now 78.6 today – don’t like my chances of getting to 78kg by 31 Jan but will certainly try!
    Enjoy your weekend and bye for now!

Day 27 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Yesterday’s FD once again morphed out……I went for a walk after work with DH to the local shop to do the lotto, we passed the local pub, he said “Do you fancy a Friday afternoon drink?”…….did I say no?…….NO!!

In my defence there were some serious work issues that he wanted to mull over with a pint (and me) and sometimes a change of setting helps work things through. I had two Guinness, we came home, I made a beef stir fry, and this morning I had dispatched another quarter pound. I am grateful for that.

I now sit at 140 pounds, cusp of 9 stone land (again). Seeing as I had entered the 130’s in early December, had got to 132 by 4th January, it just goes to show we can never be too complacent. That is why I always found weight maintenance to be more difficult than weight loss. With this forum and WOL I mean to check those bad habits that push my weight back up when I take my eye off the prize.

So @debster251, @flourbaby and others who are cruising towards end of Jan, don’t give up. I am there with you, let’s gird ourselves for February, but finish January feeling good that we made a last attempt to be mindful ☺️

On a good note however, although I was up 10lbs from early Jan I was still able to wear a UK size 10 black velvet dress to my sisters wedding on Thursday. I felt good, received a lovely complement from my cranky old Dad who told me I looked lovely and was the image of my late mother ☺️☺️ . Feel good factor 100%

Have a lovely Saturday all.

Day 27, UK, NFD
    73.9 kg. A new low, driven by an insane consumption of water and black, unsweetened coffee yesterday.

Just for giggles, I had a scan through my old posts last night (from the last 10+ months). OMG! I have come a long way! But not quite sure how, as I seem to have veered from one pizza and wine pile-up to the next. Just goes to prove that if I can do it, anyone can!

Have a great Saturday people. Five days left of th challenge – we’ve got this! And thank you for your support on my journey!

Day 27, Gozo, Malta, nfd

Tomorrow we have our grandson birthday party. He’s two years next Wednesday but we’re celebrating tomorrow. So I’ll eat lots of food. I am 67.8 kilos. I didn’t go down this week. It is better for me to weigh myself on Thursdays only. I just can’t resist weighing myself.

Today I’ll eat below tdee.

Have a great Saturday everyone. Onwards and downwards

Day 27 Newcastle UK NFD 🇬🇧.
    Managed to locate and Order parts for my rowing machine should be with me in 3 days they say. Hopefully tomorrow will be mild and frost free so I can get out on my mountain bike for a few hours.
    Have a great weekend whatever you’re doing.

Day 27 – Ireland – NFd
    Day 26 – NFD
    Day 25 – FD

I tend to fast Monday and Wednesday and weigh every day but take the Friday weigh in as the weekly weigh in. Weighing in after a FD generally shows a number that I will hit soon and gives me hope but I inevitably bob back up straight after the next NFD.
    Yesterday I weighed in and have hit my January target 168 lbs – I am so thrilled!!! I have not seen this weight in 16 years. So I’ve lost over a stone since mid-October with the challenge of Christmas in between. 😀😀

There is honestly no other way I could have achieved this … The flexibity of this WOL means that a bad day or even week is just a blip. This forum too has been fantastic support even though I’ve been super busy this month it has been great to come in, check in and read about other people’s successes and also challenges..
    Dry and sugar free January continues but I may take a break tonight as one of my besties is visiting from abroad and it has been years.. but again this will not be a failure but a planned blip!
    I have failed on my plank challenge 😱 but next month will focus on that…

Wishing you all a lovely weekend!

@jaifaim Congratulations on your 16 year low! It’s a nice feeling hitting those magic milestones.

Day 26, Guildford UK, NFD

Struggling still as it’s tax year end for accountants.

HMRC systems keep going down so I am very stressed

I am keeping up with everyone’s posts but apologies for being so brusque.

Mari

I have found the way to avoid another ‘Stollen incident’. It’s called the food recycling bin! As anyone who grew up in the 60s and 70s will know, this is NOT natural behaviour. But I’ve done it 👍

Day27 UK NFD

Apart from the scales incident on Thursday (over it now) this week has been pretty good. 2 solid FDs and the others all less than TDEE. I’ve left myself some wriggle room for the weekend. I bought the Tom Kerridge recipe book last week and have already used a few recipes.

Off to the cottage for a long weekend. The weather looks fine so we might actually be able to get out and do some proper walking, first since before Christmas. Wales is lovely but it doesn’t half rain!

I’ve failed the planking challenge this week. I’ve done a couple of HIT sessions which have left me aching. Hopefully I’ll pick it up again soon.

Have a happy and healthy weekend chaps.

Day 27 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Heavy rain ☔️ in our part of the world today, moving to Wales has involved the purchase of substantial wet weather clothing, but the fantastic countryside and coastline is worth it.

Wishing everyone a happy and successful weekend.

Day 27…..Florida……FD?

I really enjoyed the movie “the Help”, but if I’m completely honest that one line with that sweet little girl broke me. It just goes to show you love can come in so many forms and can make us who we are today. And makes me feel so fortunate that my sister stepped up to the plate and became the mother figure I needed.
    Each and everyone of regardless sometimes need that reminder……..

@dykask……I loved your comparison on fruit vs chocolate. I, however, have found I do have a limit on chocolate but never with fruit. In all honesty, I did not know that fact until I changed my WOL. Don’t ger me wrong, I still like a good piece of chocolate, my absolutely favorite is Cadbury. Since my change if fruit and chocolate sat on the same table, I would gravitate towards the fruit more.
    My digestion has the opposite effect than yours, maybe that’s why I compared it to chocolate.

For today, I’m going to try and make it a FD. I feel a 100% better, no more illness so, I’m going to whip my house back into shape, tackle Mount Washmore and finally get my potatoes in the ground. A lofty list to do for one day but I feel as my home being weighed down by dirt and chaos………
    I find when my goals are lofty my brain doesn’t think about food…… although I did pick up some fresh homemade bread from the farmer market…..so maybe a slice of toast before I start……

I’m going outside to stand, so if anyone ask just tell them I’m OUTSTANDING!

Day 27, London, UK, NFD

Finally caught up on posts!!

Checking in ‘cause even on this limited 5:2 holiday I need to stay in touch to avoid that spiral @coda described perfectly ……………the brain is a stupid, stupid thing sometimes, add hormones to the mix and NO WONDER we struggle at times!!!! Allowing myself what I want at the moment has led to the worst headaches ever, I’m noting all of this down for future reference when I even THINK about being stupid!!!

@bigviking, ‘entitled, ‘deserved’, ‘reward’, ‘treat’, ‘goodies’; it’s SOOOOOOOO easy to fool ourselves, you KNOW you shouldn’t, but you use any & every combination of these words to justify it………….. If your average criminal had the super-skill of justification that we food addicts have, the prisons would be empty!!!!! Had to chuckle at the ‘veered from one pizza & wine pile-up to the next’ comment ……been there done that…… lots of times during this journey, afterall, I was entitled!!!!

@cornish-jane, many congratulations amazing eradication over 6months!!! Question – Who DOESN’T weigh themselves naked, after the loo, 1st thing in the morning????? Personally – I need every single ounce to count!!!! @penz, yeah, ‘cause the air weighs soooo much too!!?? LOL @mjrbcd44 Eermhh, wiggling & leaning………………. Really?? Well ok then!!!! @diverdog ‘After’ coffee?? What about the water you absorb transdermally in the Jacuzzi??!!!! Madness I tell you, madness!!!

@coda, Happy Birthday to your dad!!! I’ve miss mine everyday of the last 6 months 

@bert1802, (Lovely & Timely post!) I was never a daily or even monthly weigher before I started this journey, it’s true, losing daily gave me the mood boost I was lacking before, now the B*#ch isn’t playing fair, my mood has gone south. I’m resetting and asking myself if my self-esteem is REALLY based on the number I see on this contraption!!!! Really!!?????

@debster251, I’m with you, exercise great, eating bad!!! February is just ‘there’ so a delayed reset is all good. Planning to have a good and productive month, maybe this year I’ll skip Xmas all together as it does NOTHING for my January resolve!!!!

Roll on February!!! If only for that much need glass of shiraz, just a glass rather than a bottle though!!!!

Day 27, NFD, USA

Just checking in.

Day 27 USA (Illinois) NFD

Interesting day yesterday – had planned a CD, and it really turned into a 1000 calorie day, but all of that was eaten after 1600 (4 p.m.). We were busy in the morning then decorating the hall, so I didn’t eat. But it was FREEZING in there, so I got incredibly cold with no fuel in my body. Ate very well then for supper and afterwards.

Today is National Chocolate Cake Day: https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/fun/chocolate-cake-day
    Glad I can pass on that but couldn’t on National Popcorn Day a week or so ago.

Will be dressing up for tonight’s Frosty Ball. The menu is all pretty good food, but I will have to avoid the dessert table. Oh yes, wine will be part of the evening.

Onward and downward.

Day 27, UK, NFD

I was delighted to see this morning when I weighed myself that I’m 0.5 kg lighter than the last weighing 😊 . I will be 0.5kg short of my January goal (probably) but I’m still happy with the progress 😀
    Not doing that good in Plank challenge, but I started doing a bit of pilates and yoga again.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend 💜

Day 27 Canada CD

Had a great FD yesterday. Such a nice feeling to not be mindlessly grazing through the day.

Sounds like February can’t come quickly enough for lots of us. Me too, I need a month of healthy eating.

Day 27, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Day 27 Oregon USA NFD

Yesterday started well and ended poorly. See a theme here?
    @bigviking your “veering” comment made me smile and gives me hope that I will be able to gain control slowly but surely…(clearly not a gazelle here).
    My justification yesterday (for the record @flourbaby)was a big sales win yesterday which lead to a victory party involving beer, chicken strips and fries, and some more beer.
    The mind is a truly such an amazing and confounding place all in the same breath.

I don’t see much hope to hit even that “easy” January goal I set for myself but am ready to make things happen in February.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and wherever you are in your journey, you can reflect with positivity on choosing this WOL.

“Figure out what is good for you and then create a liking for it! You have to work at living!” ❤️👍💪

Day 27, end of a FD, Surrey (UK)
    12st 13lb – same as last week but within “under 13st” target for Jan

Holiday maintenance
    Just back from a 6 day holiday in Madeira. Lovely, balmy sunshine, fantastic walking and scenery – just what the doc ordered! BUT – it was a holiday, so I decided beforehand, no FDs. I did manage to keep food & drink under some sort of control though, hence the maintenance this week. I’m still within my target of under 13st by the end of Jan, so I’m really pleased with that.

How did I do it? Well…I took the damage limitation approach. Some things are pretty much impossible to avoid, such as offerings of Madeira wine. How could I say no?! My healthy-weight hubby helped out by quaffing the remains of my glass, after I had had a taste (or two). That way, I managed to keep alcohol consumption to within 1 or 2 glasses per day.

I did rather overdo the carbs though. Hubby and I enjoy walking, so we took packed sandwiches with us every day. I had smaller portions than I normally would, but still way more than since starting this WOE. In the evenings, we either ate out, or I prepared something quick and easy from a supermarket – i.e. pasta, tuna, tinned beans. Pasta isn’t great, I know, but I kept my portion size small-ish. I did get a good supply of fresh fruit and veg from the fantastic covered market, so it wasn’t all bad!

When eating out, I had fish. Madeira is famous for Espada, or scabbard fish. It’s really delicious, especially served with fresh veg. On our last evening, hubby and I went to a really nice restaurant, where I had sea bass – again, very delicious. Hubby wanted to try the wine pairing menu, so I did too…not wanting to poop on the party of course! I was thankful that the wine waiter respected my wish just to taste each of the wines, whilst hubby was able to drink to his heart’s content!

I should explain that at my current weight, my TDEE comes in at around 2,000 calories, which on this occasion gave me a bit more scope with the carbs. We did a LOT of walking, so my energy expenditure was probably a little higher than usual. I have had my fair share of lunck this week! Still, I’m aware that next time we’re on holiday, I might have to think about eating a little more carefully, and maybe factor in a FD or two. Thankfully, the flight home was a perfect opportunity to start off a FD, especially as we flew with that no-frills budget airline…you know the one!

It’s been great to catch up on all the posts here…the struggles as well as the successes. It’s given me the confidence to know that I can tackle holidays and feast days as well as every day planning. I’ll definitely be joining the February challenge!

Day 27 – USA – NFD

Las Vegas NV
    Day 27 WFD

My body is finally adjusting to more intense exercise. Legs are not too sore today. Heading to the gym for an easy 30 min bike ride to get the blood flowing. Ballroom dancing tonight with the OH

Got Valter Longo’s new book on life extension. Very interesting read.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 1,558 total)

You must be logged in to reply.