Info for simcoeluv

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi simcoeluv,

I cant remember if it was you or someone else wanting to know about sugar vs artificial sweeteners. I asked Dr Peter Attia about it and the jury is out at the moment. Some studies show a correlation between weight gain and AS and some do not. His advice was to stay away from them until the science is more definitive. Sounds reasonable to me.

With respect to training your system (liver) to burn fat more efficiently I am basing this on my personal experience, so hardly a scientific study. When I fist started IF I was not able to bike ride during my fast day. Now I can do it with ease. Reading a bike forum, low carb training is now common/accepted practice amongst top professional bike riders as a means of increasing their ketogenic performance. I just use a simple keto-stick to measure my ketone bodies and by the 36 hour mark Ive started ketosis. By the end of my second day (60 hours) Im well and truly into ketosis. Not advocating anybody else do this, I just find doing IF with zero cal days to be easy for me.

Hi bigbooty:

I was not the one questioning artificial sweeteners. They have been and are the most studied thing in the food chain. The sugar industry has blasted them from their invention. At this point, after decades of research and massive usage, there is no evidence of any kind that they cause illness or disease, much less weight gain. But people have beliefs, and I learned a long time ago not to challenge beliefs!

As for your ‘lazy liver’, I pointed out previously that the term ‘ketosis’ is a scientifically defined term. Your body goes into ‘ketosis’ at the point where it is deriving a majority of its energy from burning fat – either body fat or fat from the diet. Your body goes into ‘ketosis’ after about three days of water fasting, or eating a high fat, low/no carb diet. Until then, it is burning more and more fat as glycogen stores are reduced and more muscle is being consumed, but it is not in ketosis. As I pointed out, a person can lose tons of fat weight without ever getting into ‘ketosis’. I refer you to my 6 Dec 15 post on this thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

I have recommended that every newbie have getting to 0 cal. diet days as a goal, so congratulations!

The less you eat, the more you lose (and the more fat you burn)!

Good Luck!

I think my coining the term lazy liver was probably not the best description. Perhaps keto-adaption would be a better term. Yes I can appreciate you can lose weight and not be in ketosis. That’s why I was interested in what was happening with me. At the end of my 2 (about 60 hours) day fast my ketone level is 2-4 mmol/L. From what Ive read Id say Im ketosis.

I was the one asking about artificial sweeteners. (by the way, Stevia is also an artificial sweetener despite all the hype about it coming from a plant)
    What I wanted to know was whether aspartame had an effect on INSULIN, or any hormone for that matter. There have been mountains of studies from all over the world on the safety of aspartame, and the overwhelming majority find nothing wrong with it at all. Indeed it seems less dangerous than sugar (another “natural” plant food).

Yes it has been well studied and as far as I know it is OK. What Im concerned about is the psychology of eating something that your brain registers as sweet but then doesn’t receive any caloric value. Maybe it has no effect? Like Attia said in his reply to me, results are mixed, jury is out on artificial sweeteners effects.

Hi big:

This is a report of the only research I am aware of that looks into your question: http://news.yahoo.com/brains-know-difference-between-carbs-artificial-sweeteners-202736452–spt.html. The research indicates that the brain can distinguish between ‘sweet’ and ‘carbs’, with ‘sweet’ caused by artificial sweeteners having no impact on the brain but sweet caused by artificial sweeteners combined with ‘carbs’ definitely having an impact. It appears the mouth/brain can distinguish between ‘sweet’ and ‘carbs’, and reacts strongly to carbs but not to just sweet.

One of the arguments going around the internet the last couple of years is that even though artificial sweeteners do not cause weight gain, by being ‘sweet’ they cause the body to want more food, thus making a person overweight. It is a convoluted argument that does not merit much discussion, but this research seems to show there is no merit to the allegation.

Stevia is a plant. Grow it yourself it is a wonderful sweetener. Bruised and put in a tea ball to sweeten a pot of tea or coffee. Dried and crushed to ultra fine powder it will almost dissolve, leaves a faint residue in the bottom or your cup or you can make tincture/extracts with it using alcohol.

Processed Stevia sold as Truvia or under other names has little relationship to the plant, with all the chemical processing in it, nor do they say all what is in it.

I personally get a insulin spike from using Sucarlose/Splenda and every other artifical sweetener I’ve tried in Canada. Fresh bruised Stevia, dried crused, or tincture which I make myself I don’t get the spike. Your mileage may vary.

Ive never been a big sugar eater and since doing the 5:2 diet I’ve, without actively trying, reduced my sugar and starch intake even more. For me it was a natural by-product of doing the diet. I found that I wasn’t wanting sugar and carbs but more fats and protein. I suspect this is not the case for everyone. It must make it very hard for some, from a psychological standpoint, to do the 5:2 if their body is screaming for sugar all the time. That’s why Ive been suggesting that people should ween themselves off sugar and things that remind them of sugar, e.g. artificial sweeteners.

Hi big:

The body is an amazing thing and all bodies are different. What works or is true for one will not always work or be true for another. What seems common sense may be totally wrong.

A good phrase to remember is ‘it is not as simple as that’.

Fully agree. Can only suggest things based on what has worked for me. Fully understand that it may not work for others. You need to experiment until you find what’s right for you. Someone on another site was suggesting very high carbs and low fat and protein was the only way to go. So what if youre insulin resistant or even worse diabetic? He didn’t seem to be able to grasp the concept.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.