I’m switching to 6:1

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  nigeyb 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• I started the 5:2 Fast Diet just 2 weeks ago and have fasted on two Mondays and two Thursdays. I am not overweight, but I often sleep poorly because I suffer from Restless Legs Syndrome, (now renamed Willis Ekbom Disease). My reason for going on the Fast Diet is that I am worried that poor quality sleep might lead to other health repercussions in the future and I want to do all I can to prevent this. However, this morning when I stepped on the scales, I saw that I have lost several pounds very quickly. My weight is down to 9st 3lbs. I am 5’5”, age 67, waist measurement 28”, (71cms), BMI 21.4. I think that’s all about OK and don’t really want to lose any more weight. I was all set to fast today but I have decided to abandon it for today. I think, instead, I’d better switch to the 6:1 régime. I think the 5:2 régime is too drastic for me as I normally eat carefully anyway; around about 2000 calories in a normal day with no added sugar, little fat and very low salt. I still want to reap the health benefits of fasting, so I’ll try the 6:1 system instead for a bit. I use my blood pressure as a measure of how well my body is coping. I normally take my blood pressure twice daily and though it wasn’t high before I started, I see that now it is generally in the low 120s or below, so the limited fasting that I have already done does seem to have been beneficial, as, after the Christmas period, it was often up in the 130s. This is the kind of benefit I want to go on having. I will report back as to how I get on with the 6:1régime.

hi Bettybody

I think you are doing the right thing, you don’t need to loose anymore weight, I am 5’2 and around 9’5 and I am tempted too to switch to 6.1 but not just yet…
    I will be looking out for your posts to see how you are doing, am sure it’ll all be fine for you,well done!! 🙂

Hi Angie,

Thank you for replying to my post. It’s comforting to know that I can share my experience with other people doing the same thing. As fasting is still a largely experimental science, it can seem a bit scary, especially when, (like us), you have little or no need to lose weight. I’ll keep in touch.

Thank you Bettybody

take care x

I am in the same boat. I am 5.6 (170cm) and came down from 10.2 stones (65kg) to now 9.2 stones (57.8kg) and will go to 6:1 once I reach 8.8 stones (56kg). I lost it over the last 12 weeks.
    It will be interesting to see whether I can keep it there.
    Stef.

That’s brilliant Stef!!

am sure you’ll get there soon 🙂

Well done @stef! I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. I’m planning to do 6:1 when I (eventually) reach my target weight.

xx

Switched to 6:1 at the beginning of Feburary after doing ADF for 6 months. So far, so good. Maintaining the weight loss…but it feels odd now eating every day except one. And how odd it is to say that. Does anyone else feel this way? Also am wondering if the health benefits will continue at 6:1 (labs) Is there anyone out there who has been on the 6:1 for awhile?

Hi Carla, I have a friend, not on the forum who has been on 6:1 for three months as she lost her two stone on adf, then half a stone on 5:2. She has had to count calories because if she didn’t she found she was gaining weight. Now she has added 1500 fast walking steps per day for last month and she is loosing again. Strange really as her gym trips (2 hrs – 4 per week) had made no difference. She is still keeping under 1500 cals per day, which would be a total luxury day for me.
    The effect of different types of exercise is interesting in terms of weight loss, of course the body toning is vital if you don’t want to be flabby.
    Good luck!

@bettybody do what feels good for you, listening to your body is important thing! Did you find difficult sleeping on 5:2 ? If yes than on your fast on non fast days? I had a bad month with lots of hours of tossing and turning in bed, and I spoke to friend of mine which suggested to look at my herbal teas as I was drinking lots of them. What shocked me was that peppermint tea was my problem ( known to be refreshing and clearing your mind) well it refreshed my brain to much as since I stopped drinking much of it I sleep well 🙂 I had restless leg syndrome during my last pregnancy and gosh I feel your pain! @stef well done you! Keep us posted on your journey, I would love to see how you getting on on 6:1 after ADF 3:4 and 5:2 adventures! Everybody is posting about big battle of losing weight but we all know keeping the goal weight is as difficult so don’t leave us wondering and tell us both how is it to stay at the top of things 🙂 xxx

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic so far. I found these replies interesting and helpful.

I am getting close to what I think of as my target weight and I am not sure whether to drop down to 6:1 or carry on with 5:2 – or do some kind of hybrid.

I am keen to continue to get the health benefits of calorie restriction and was unsure what effect 6:1 might have on this. If anyone has any information or insights please let me know.

Like Bettybody (see above), the 5:2 approach has caused me to generally eat more healthily: less carbs, no between meal snacks, no unhealthy snacks, no cake/biscuits/crisps etc.

My only real vice is beer and wine (and I try to kid myself that by drinking red wine most of the time I’m making a healthy choice). I have been having two days off alcohol (the same days as my fast days). I stay under the 21 units per week most weeks.

My weight is continuing to reduce and I don’t want to get too skinny. I started at c13 stone (c83 kg) and I now weigh 11.4 stone or 72.5 kg. My BMI is 20.52, so theoretically I could continue to lose weight and still be in the 18.5-24.9 BMI healthy weight range for my height. I don’t want to go below 70 kg / 11 stone (19.8 BMI) – which I have nearly reached.

I think I might experiment with a maintenance 6:1 with a full 24 hour fast (6pm on Monday to 6pm on Tuesday). This might suit me well as I find that not eating anything for as long as possible on my fast days works best for me and, after enduring some strong hunger pangs during my regular breakfast time, I forget about eating until well into the afternoon.

Once I’ve tried it for a few weeks I’ll post again if there’s anything interesting to report.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.