I will do it this time

This topic contains 188 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  fatrabbit 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 191 total)

• Well I stuck to the blood sugar diet for just over three weeks and got off my plateau and well under 200 lbs but this week it hasn’t gone well. I felt much hungrier from Monday when I nearly wavered through until Wednesday when I fell flat on my face and had a bit of a binge eating some of the things I had bought for other people as Easter treats. Interestingly it was not the chocolate I went for but sesame snaps, peanut brittle and plantain chips and then to finish it off rye bread and cheese. So several thousand calories over:(( I felt ill, had a splitting headache and couldn’t sleep which I thoroughly deserved. What I didn’t deserve was that I still lost weight and was down to 89kg the next morning!! I suspect it may just be a delayed effect though and that if I had weighed this morning it would have been up again. I fasted yesterday but am having a day off today although sticking to my four hour eating window if I can. Maybe going back to ADF for a while will make a repeat of Weds less likely. I will see how it goes through next week. I don’t want to be stuck on another plateau.

Yeah, happens every now and then, these binges, more hungry times etc. But the good thing is they come and also go. It would be terrible to feel like that all the time. Great you still lost weight regardless! I did gain after my last binge, but within a week I was down again, so it was not too bad.

What I noticed over the recent period is that I lost hardly any weight shortly before the full moon, despite doing everything right. After one fast day I lost 100g, which was ridiculous. I carried on regardless, and after the full moon I noticed a big drop. I must keep an eye on that on the next full moon period. Have you ever noticed a connection like that?

I am down to 57,2 which makes it a loss of 9kg so far.55kg was my long term weight in my 30s and 40s, so I am getting very close now.

Hope you are enjoying a nice Easter time, fatrabbit. It is cold, windy and rainy in Germany, even snow with us on 800m hight. Yuk, crap weather.But I don’t mind so much because I am working in the women’s shelter anyway and have time off after Easter.

Hi there fatrabbit,

Thanks for keeping this journal.. ive been reading through and i really appreciate your candour.. im also coming back to fasting, after having let myself get all out of shape… it’s challenging getting started again, but i know fasting is what works for me… i’m going to follow your good example by starting a journal to keep track of my progress…

Hugs,
    Lucas

@poggyvegan funnily enough I had a blip upwards on the full moon this month, not huge but upwards and then the next day I was incredibly hungry and had my binge. Aside from that I have been weighing more regularly as you suggested. There are fewer and smaller blips on the BSD than ADF and so far none of those soul destroying setbacks like in March. I am seeing a steady loss of around half a pound a day. Even the cake and icecream and vegetable chips I had on Easter Sunday didn’t derail this. I am now under 14 stone and I am wearing the size 34 trousers comfortably. I am glad to hear you are nearing your goal.

@zenhamster I love that username:)) I am glad you found the journal useful:)) I hope yours helps you on your journey. The monthly challenges are great too.

Just noticed I was still talking about switching back to ADF in my previous post. I tried to do a non-fast day but wasn’t hungry enough to eat more than 800 calories! Fickle things bodies! So I am going to stick to the BSD. Maybe that extra hunger was down to my having had a couple of days only eating veg and no beans or cheese. I will try to mix the food types a bit more and see if that helps. I have made sure to eat either beans or cheese each day since and have been less hungry. I had cake on Easter Sunday but only to stop my son from eating the while thing. I had no excuse for the entire bag of vegetable chips though! Amazingly that didn’t stop me losing weight although it did give me a horrendous headache and a fiercely complaining stomach and my energy levels the next day were greatly reduced leaving me groggy and lethargic. The good news is that my son has agreed to try fasting. He started ADF on Monday and has already lost 4lbs and an inch from his waist!! Today is his second fast day. I think he really wants to do this which makes me even more pleased that I have done this as without seeing my weightloss I doubt he would have believed in it.

I have been using the tracker on here for three months today. I have dropped from 230lbs to 194lbs in that time and gone from a 39 inch waist to 33 inch one. My BMI has dropped from 34.5 to 29 and my waist to height ratio from 0.57 to 0.48 both indicators of reduced risks to my health. I feel so much better:)) This really works:)) My trouser size has dropped by 5 sizes. My jumpers look as if two of me would fit in them. I had already lost a significant amount before I started using this site so I have lost over fifty pounds since November, less than 6 months.

The strange thing is that I now look the way I thought I looked before. I must have been really in denial about how big I was. I look at my fat belly and other wobbly bits and they don’t seem different to my usual self image. But I had been avoiding looking in mirrors or having my photo taken for years. It took getting to the point that moving was incredibly uncomfortable before I finally took action. I regret not doing it sooner but at least I have started now. I have set my final goal at the 140lbs I was when I got married. Admittedly I never stayed at that weight but I know it is possible. So I still have a long way to go. Another 54 lbs. But I will do it:)) I have shown that it is possible to lose fifty pounds in less than six months so I hope to do it by the end of the year. Watch this space…

You have done so I credibly well, fatrabbit you are a shining inspiration for every obese person, proving that it is possible to loose weight if you put your mind to it.
    Great news that your son is joining you now. It must be more fun to work at it together and inspire each other.
    For me it was rather the other way round. My daughter has inspired me to do something about my poggyness.Well, again, we do inspire each other. She is now super slim, but still has to have a watchful eye not to put weight on. I think once you have a tendency to gain, you have to be careful for life.

I am not getting forward very much at the moment. I am oscillating between 57.7kg and 57.2kg. It is just my tummy that is not entirely flat yet, but I can hide that little bulge quite well under some hanging clothes, so I can come across very slim, without really having got there. My body resists going further down, so I guess I need to give it time to accept the new normal.

I have never had trouble with digestion, but felt constipated of recent, after I spent some time on a low carb diet. I gave that up after a couple of weeks, but my digestion is not recovering. I do eat natural probiotic foods like sauerkraut and yogourt, but I have bought a probiotic supplement now to try and get things moving better again. Any ideas on that subject?

I have now swapped back to ADF. Today was my first NFD in a month (except for two failed fast days) and I really enjoyed it. I had lashings of yoghurt on both lunch and dinner which was a lovely enhancement. I haven’t had that for years. I don’t like sweet yogurt but on savoury food I do like the plain stuff. Trying the vegan version put me off as it has an aftertaste that I don’t like, although mum and my sister eat huge quantities of it.

I swapped back as I had a mishap with a piece of brie on Saturday and then a completely failed fast day on Sunday. The fast days every day had started to feel like deprivation rather than as something doable as they did at first when 800 calories felt quite generous after being used to 500 on fast days. So now I can once more tell myself I can eat that tomorrow to get me through a sticky patch. Which I had to do several times on Monday, and I doubt I would have completed the fast without that comfort. Especially as my sister was busily dipping nuts in chocolate and making the kitchen into a temptation zone. But I resisted! And was rewarded with my lowest weight yet this morning 191.8 lbs, 87 kg. And half an inch off my measurements. My waist is now 32.5, my waist to height ratio is 0.47 and my BMI is 28.7. So much better:))

@poggy-vegan I suspect properly flat tummies are very hard to achieve later in life. I don’t hope to ever have one however much weight I lose as my children stretched both the skin and the muscles badly. I am just starting to be able to tighten the muscles
    . after them being useless for twenty plus years. I had assumed that constipation was a problem veggies and vegans don’t get as I never have. I am a great fan of pre and probiotics for when the rabbits are unwell. When their guts go wrong they really suffer and a dose of their fibre plex paste is the quickest way to sort them out. I have wondered if I should try it! But our gut flora is probably quite different as we don’t ferment our food the way they do, thank goodness. Coprophagy is not an appealing process although they show every sign of enjoying it. There are a lot of positive things said about kefir and I am debating trying it except it does see to involve quite a bit of faffing about which I am not a fan of. There is a water based version available apparently which can be made to taste like ginger beer if desired.

I have now been doing intermittent fasting for six months and have probably lost at least sixty pounds. (I had no scales for the first six weeks but dropped two sizes and have consistently lost ten pounds a month since then so it seems a reasonable extrapolation.)

I feel so much better in so many ways. I am so glad to have started this. I have learned so much and am now able to share it with other people, particularly my son, who I hope will have made similar progress when he makes it to the six month mark.

I still have lots of weight to lose. At least another forty to fifty pounds so I will carry on, which is no hardship as I have discovered how ill too much food makes me feel. In fact I wonder how I will go back to eating more as all the horrible symptoms might return. The pain, the fatigue, the asthma, the bloat, the anxiety… No thanks! Certainly quite a limited eating window will need to be part of maintenance when I get there. The four hour one I have now has worked really well, especially avoiding working hours. Still there a few months to go until I need to worry about that. I will do it!

You must be so proud of yourself fatrabbit. I am always cheered to hear how well you are doing.
    I have been doing pretty well too. Sometimes it’s a struggle, sometimes it flows well.I am down to 65.5kg now and apart from a little tummy looking quite slim. I found a pair of jeans in the depth of my cupboard that fits me perfectly,and I feel good about my looks for the first time in a long while.
    Also have cured my constipation since I resurrected my kefir from the freezer. I read an interesting bit of information that yogourt feeds the beneficial colon bacteria, but kefir can actually create new bacteria. And it’s true, since I take kefir my digestion is back to normal. I grow it in homemade almond milk and it works a treat, not as fast as milk, it takes 2 days and then it’s pleasantly sour and a yummy drink.Sometimes I blend it with frozen berries and that is also rather nice.
    I got constipated after trying out a low carb diet with eating more fat, and I did not go back to normal even when I stopped that way of eating. I read an article talking about an experiment where mice lost a huge amount of beneficial bacteria after a low carb diet.I think that might have happened to me too. I seem to poop like a mouse, haha.
    At the moment I read the book wheat belly. Have you read that by chance? Puts you off wheat for good.I never got on with wheat very well without having a wheat intolerance as such. But I observed quite quick weight gain and an increase of cravings after wheat meals.
    Spring takes a long time coming this year, but our onions are already sprouting.
    My daughter is coming from Thailand at the end of next week for 3 weeks and we will go to Croatia for a holiday.Looking forward to that!Enjoy the spring too!

I have now been tracking my weight and measurements for four months using the tracker. I have a very nice downwards line for my weight with a remarkably consistent gradient until now. It seems to be predicting a big loss within the next few days. Is that right or is it going to level out after forty six pounds in four months. It would be nice if it keeps going but it has to slow down at some point or I will float away. Not that there is much fear of that just yet. I am constantly bemused by how I can have shifted so much and still have this belly:( I really had become enormous:( Still it spurred me to action. So alls well etc etc.

I am still struggling to put in a really low calorie fast day. I had one that was probably 500 this week but the others have been 800 or even higher, ending around 1000. Today was probably 800 – yoghurt and wilted salad with chili and seeds at two and then broccoli with left over bean stew at five, and lots of it. I manage to do a 20 hour intermittent fast most days, just eating within the four hour window. And I am keeping it healthy, carbs only in veg and the occasional tablespoon of rice. Between 5 and ten different veg a day. Good fats cooking with either olive or coconut oil, eating avocado, full fat yoghurt and cheese and seeds. Lots of different sorts of beans and other legumes for protein and fibre –
    the bean stew had 7 different ones (tinned chick peas, kidney beans, butter beans, black eyed beans and black beans and frozen broad beans and petit pois) plus onion, fennel, pepper, tomatoes and pineapple. I have never eaten so well before. Long may it continue. At some point I want to see if eating well like this in the short window will do by itself without trying to limit calories explicitly. Maybe when I reach a healthy BMI, which is at 167 lbs. I might even continue to lose eating that way, and eventually get to my target of 140. But 167 is probably a couple of months off still. Onwards…

I have now been fasting for seven months and have lost about 70lbs. Everyone notices now, despite my wearing my usual clothes, apart from the old trousers which are so unbelievably big that I could stuff a pillow down them and they would still fall down. Even the ones I was so pleased to fit into not that long ago are ridiculously big now. I have gone from 42s being too tight to bend over in to 32s being comfortable. I could stuff a pillow up my shirts and jumpers too but as they can’t fall down it isn’t a problem. I like loose clothes. I also hate shopping and always wear the same thing, cargo trousers and a golf shirt with a fleece or two when it’s cold.

I seem to have hit another plateau and my weight is going up and down around 180lbs. But my measurements have decreased after staying the same throughout May, so progress still. I think it may be time to slow down and try and find a balance, eat well but still fast two days and use an eating window and see if I can maintain. I have achieved what I wanted which is to be able to move more easily and have more energy. Looks are not important. Hopefully I can gradually lose more weight and progress towards a healthy BMI while learning how to eat well in a sustainable way. Losing ten pounds a month is not sustainable clearly. I need to keep burning fat to keep the inflammation under control so I shouldn’t be in too much of a rush to get rid of it all at once as I am not keen on eating extra fat to supply it. Except cheese of course. I am not willing to give up veg to maintain ketosis, there are so many important nutrients in veg. This may be a load of nonsense but burning fat clearly suits me and is more important than looking thin so I am trying to get my head around how to keep it up long term.

So my current plan going forward into month 8 is to keep to 20/4 daily intermittent fasting and do 2 fast days with just one meal under 800 calories a week, while sticking with LCHF food, mainly veg. I at least want to know how my body responds to this even if I change it later. Today is a fast day and I ate mashed beans, chilis mangetout, sugar snaps, avocado, and feta cheese topped with yoghurt, a few nuts and seeds, and an apricot at half past two. That will do me until tomorrow afternoon, apart from water, teas (I am drinking peppermint tea while typing this) and black coffee in the morning. I will probably fast Tuesday and Thursday next week as those are nice busy days. I am weighing daily now so will note changes from what I was doing before. Which has lately been a rather skewed version of ADF that I was trying to make fit my work days, but didn’t really work as it broke the pattern that makes ADF easier to follow. You need to be able to tell yourself that you can eat tomorrow. And your body just falls into the rhythm.

I have now been tracking my weight and measurements on the tracker here for five months. I have gone from 230 pounds to down under 180. My hips now measure what my waist did at the start and my waist to height ratio has fallen to a healthy 0.46. My BMI has fallen from 34.5 to 26.5. There is not far to go to get into the healthy range on that measure too.

The rate of weight loss has slowed substantially this month as I get closer to a healthy weight. I am trying to get my approach to alter too. I think an increased focus on toning up some of the flabby bits would be a good idea although I am quite active already. The biggest negative to the weight loss is turning out to be that sitting and lying down is increasingly painful as my broken tailbone has lost its protection. Improving muscle tone might help but is made difficult by my being unable to do sit ups or other exercises done lying down. I am going to try and maintain my weight at close to where I am now and try to tighten things up. If my weight goes down a bit more, fine. But I am not going to let it go back up.

I now haven’t needed an inhaler for several months so that is another big plus:))

Hi @fatrabbit. I know you from the June 30 Day Challenge board. You are on a positive place with this WOL. You have analyzed your daily input and the results. 50 pounds in 5 months is amazing and sustainable. I am older than you, 70 last count. Lost 32 pounds from consistent walking for nearly 3 yrs. Found IF 5:2 7 months ago and another 13 pounds gone. Slow and steady is the winner.

You are a Superstar poster on your “I will do it this time” blog and the June and previous months challenge. Thank you for your honesty and enthuisiam. We live day to day and the rewards are vitality, and empowerment.

I know you are very physical at your farm with the animals, but a steady walk every day, whatever is comfortable for you is amazing. And it all adds in to the healthy vitality we all crave.

Hi Steffieagle, I am very impressed with your walking and the good effect it has had on your weight loss. 5000 miles is quite a significant distance. I know I should go for walks but walking without a dog seems very strange to me without somewhere particular as a destination. We have a dog but he has very particular ideas about where he wants to go that my sister has let him get away with for too long for me to face the challenge of retraining him. He also pulls horribly and vanishes if you let him off the lead. Walking him would be no fun at all. My sister spoiled him, she can deal with him. This is silly because I actually really like walking, and there are lots of paths around through woods and fields. Time is an issue too, and sore feet. I am prone to plantar fasciitis. I get at least 5000 steps a day just letting the animals out, doing their water and putting them away again. And on busy days I get close to 10000 without going anywhere else anyway.

I just made a beautiful new recipe. I am going to write it down so I don’t forget what I did as it is definitely a keeper. I was going to make my chick pea fry up with sweetcorn and coriander as I had coriander that needed to be used but was worried that I would eat too much of it as I like it so much, and I went below 80kg this morning and want to stay there.So I decided to try a dhal again but tweak it so that my mother would like it as she really didn’t like the last one, which was annoying as I could eat it every week.

FatRabbit’s Dhal for Fussy Pea Lovers

First I fried up a diced large onion in olive oil with minced turmeric root and ginger and garlic and chili and coriander and mustard seeds and a couple of cloves of garlic then added two diced carrots and a couple of red peppers, put the lid on and let them soften while I boiled up 250g each of yellow split peas and puy lentils for ten minutes. I chopped the coriander and added the stalky end to the veg mix but held the leafiest bits to add at the end. I strained the pulses and added them to the softened veg and added boiling water to three quarters fill the saucepan and left it to simmer for another half an hour while I sliced up some runner beans and chopped some cherry toms and went and picked some mint and oregano and chopped that with the coriander leaves. I also thawed some frozen peas as my mum loves peas. I steamed the runner beans over the dhal for the last ten minutes and heated the peas then added them to the dhal once the pulses were cooked along with salt, some ground pepper, the toms and the chopped herbs. I gave it a good stir and it was ready, served with a good squeeze of lime juice on it was lovely and I am fighting to stop myself going back for more. Mum seemed to like it too and my sister inhaled hers with approval. I will definitely be making that again. The peas and the tomatoes were added with my mum in mind but they worked well. So did the runner beans.

This recipe sounds very nice, and I’m glad you enjoyed it.

I’ve been following your journey, and you are a real success with fasting. I did well on 5:2 500 calories for a while, but in the end I went off it, because I couldn’t stick to so low a number. I gained back the weight. I’ve since switched to Dr. Mosley’s revised 5:2 800 calories, and I’m doing fine. I’ve decided to weigh in once a month, because weight fluctuates so much, and I feel once a month will give a more honest assessment. The big picture tells me my weight is going down though, and I’m happy.

I am vegetarian, having returned to my vegetarian ways after a long span of meat eating. I’ll never, ever go back.

I spent a time not being vegetarian too, after the birth of my second child. I blame him! No really it was the disconnect between the way I was living and who I am. Everything from that time is a bit of a blur, I was not myself at all. After my divorce I went back to being vegetarian and was even vegan for a while. Even now I only eat organic cheese, everything else is vegan. I stopped being vegan in part because I got fed up of listening to my sister nag people about it. Evangelism of any sort turns my stomach! And I like cheese.

I think the 800 calories version is a good plan although only for people who are willing to make healthy choices the rest of the time too. If you want to continue eating rubbish you need to cut deeper on fast days to stand a chance of benefiting at all.

My body seems to naturally fall into an alternate day pattern Yesterday I needed more food than a fast day allows, even at 800 calories, and I gave in to my cheese craving and had seconds of chilis, sugar snap peas and chopped chicory with a couple of pieces of cheddar on top, zapped in the microwave and then smothered in yogurt and nuts and seeds and chili powder. So delcious! Today I didn’t mean to fast in compensation but it has happened anyway as I am simply not hungry. That happened last time I broke a fast too. I think that I am getting to the point that I can trust my body to tell me what I need. I will probably want more tomorrow. But not until after I finish working. It is easier than before not to eat until after four. Today it was after five. I feel so good with an empty stomach that it counteracts any feeling of hunger while I am busy. As soon as I eat moving becomes unpleasant too for several hours at least.

I feel so much happier now my internal and external body images match. I felt for years as if I was trapped in a fat suit that had little to do with who I was. As if no one could see me properly. I don’t feel that different inside but the mirror shows how I feel not that alien exterior that I wore for years. I still have the flabby belly with its loose skin and stretch marks etc, which is fine, that is from life, it is part of me, but that huge excess I was carrying was just pure misery strapped on to the real me, which now shows again.

In terms of toning exercises, apparently one of the best for toning abdominal muscles is actually the plank – though it needs to be done carefully to get the correct positioning, and start with small durations. It did make my ribs ache when I started, but that has passed, but no lying on your back on hard floors required. Maybe a little research into pilates or yoga? Some of the yoga exercises adjust by sitting on foam blocks, which possibly you could position so there was no tailbone preasure?

Thanks, I’ll have to try the plank again. Last time I tried it was too painful but I don’t have such a large bum to hold up anymore so maybe I’ll manage it this time. Although finding somewhere to do it might be tricky. There is altogether too much furniture in this house.

Well I tried the plank again in one of the rabbit sheds and it was far easier than previously, even with Ozzy Rabbit on my back! He is not as big as the excess on my bum was. And he is a big rabbit.

I seem to be on a bit of a roll at present after the plateau last month. A new low number every day this month so far! I am eating lots of berries as the garden is full of bushes and canes with various types of raspberries, currants, gooseberries, tayberries, etc and the veg man gave us loads of cherries. It is keeping the hunger dragon at bay and filling me up so I want less when I come to eat a more substantial meal. If I continue at this rate I could hit a healthy BMI by the 9th which will mark 8 months of fasting. That would be satisfying, but knowing the vagaries of the scales not to be counted on.

My mood is also remarkably up. Is that because I am losing weight or why I am losing weight? Mind and body are so intertwined. I have ordered a couple of books on the subject because I find it so intriguing. My son’s mood has also greatly improved as his diet has improved and he has lost weight, twenty five pounds so far. He had a few harder days weaning off the anti depressants but now is so much happier. Next challenge is to get him to move more…

I am getting comments and surprised looks from so many people now. On the street people who I don’t know but obviously recognise me look surprised and look again! (I often don’t recognize people as I am really bad with faces, part of my Aspergers) The volunteers are amazed, my middle son when he visited last weekend was stunned. He hadn’t seen me since Christmas. There is more than 4 stone less of me since then. My mum told me I shouldn’t lose more weight the other day. But I look better in clothes. There is still at least another twenty pounds to go. 150lbs would put me right in the middle of a healthy BMI range for my height so that is my target. I had had 140 lbs in mind because I hit that before my wedding all those years ago but I actually never maintained that. At 150 I will be healthy and that is the important thing. I now fit into the next size down trousers, 30 inch mens, but they are a bit too tight and highlight the bulge that could do with going next.

Another hot few days predicted here. Hopefully that will mean that I won’t have much of an appetite again. I am itching to get to that healthy BMI as fast as possible. So much for my thoughts of slowing down to just two fast days and preparing for maintenance! But I can do that when it is in the healthy range. I am always a bit impatient about reaching goals once they are in my sights.

You are such an inspiration, fatrabbit. I am glad your journey is going so well.
    I have been on holiday and been on a break from fasting for that time. I gained about a kilo back, but not too bad.
    I am now on 56.2kg this morning. I had hit 55.5kg once recently, but could not hold that yet. A bit more fasting to really get there.55kg is my pre-goal, I held that weight for many years previously. But I find it very very hard to get below 56kg. I struggle and struggle, not doing anything wrong, but my body does not want to follow suit. I think loosing weight is still a mystery, so much written about it and such opposing opinions, apparently all working. But the body does its own thing at the end of the day.
    It is a consolation when not loosing, that restricting calories is a healthy thing to do anyway, so one can see loosing weight as a bonus.

This month has been such a surprise. I genuinely thought it would get harder the closer I got to a normal weight. The first three weeks of June seemed to confirm this as weight loss slowed to a crawl. But this month the rate went back to my consistent ten pounds a month off. And today I stand on the brink of becoming UnFatRabbit! My BMI is 25. Any further loss and I am a healthy weight:)) The amazing thing is it has happened so fast. Time flies these days. It seems as if I just took off a fat suit I was wearing and I am me again. And I feel so much better. Less pain, less anxiety, less fatigue, the disconnect I felt when I looked in the mirror is gone too. I didn’t really know that fat person looking back at me. This has been such a healing process. It has healed the damage done by the way society functions where a company’s right to make money trumps everything. I am frustrated with myself for being fooled by that pseudoscience. Humans being so adaptable are very vulnerable to that sort of thing. We are so prone to filter everything so as to make it fit what we want to be true. I liked science so I wanted to believe the things that I was taught and that ridiculous food pyramid was a very early lesson and I swallowed it whole. Basta!

Well I did it. Today I have a healthy BMI :)) 24.8

I am officially UnFatRabbit :))

Now the challenge is to stay this way…

Plus:-

Youngest son has also lost 30 pounds in the last three months and is no longer obese. Yay :)) I doubt he would have done it if he hadn’t had my example to follow.

@PoggyVegan. keep at it, it will happen. And as you say the other benefits make it worth doing even without any weight loss. I am more interested in the other benefits for my son. His mood has greatly improved since fasting.

Yesterday I fit into the smallest pair of trousers, size 29, the smallest both that I bought and that they make. And they are comfortable with no muffin top. I really have done it 🙂

This morning I weigh 165 lbs, 74.8kg and have a BMI of 24.7. Waist 29, Hips and bust 38 and waist to height ratio of 0.42. I am delighted 🙂 But not finished… I don’t really know where to aim for from here.

Congratulations! You really did it this time!!

Congratulations, (fat)rabbit, you must be so proud of yourself.
    I have also reached my pre-goal of 55kg. That gives me a great BMI of 21.something, but my goal is to be really slim. I was once 52kg in my youth and I see no reason not to continue until I reach that goal. In clothes I look pretty slim, but when I look at myself without clothes in the mirror, I can see I have still quite a bit of fat here and there, especially on my tummy. Since I know now how to get rid of fat, I would like to go all the way. It’s slow now, but I will do it, aiming at next year February at the latest, when I will go on holiday in Thailand with my daughter.

I finally settled on a goal that is both acceptable to my head and seems to suit my body and have now gone under it for the third time so hopefully it is now properly achieved. I stayed at roughly the same weight all last month but had quite a few incidences of over eating and altogether too much bouncing about of the reading on the scales, a response to stress and menopausal hormones. I am hoping it has settled again but life always throws us challenges…

I have decided to go with the formula of height in cms minus a hundred which puts my target at 74kg, which is 163lbs and a BMI of 24.4, so healthy but realistic for my age and frame. I don’t want to be a walking skeleton. Women are supposed to have curves. At this weight I feel good, look good and yet have fat to burn instead of needing to eat constantly. I feel best with an empty stomach and so intend to stick with getting work done before eating and then relax while I digest it. My body seems to like burning fat. I am only going to go beyond this to do a full fast day when I am genuinely not hungry. Establishing a sustainable pattern that works for me is more important than forcing myself to meet the criteria for a fast day. Differing opinions about what does or does not constitute a fast day are not helpful. I lost 90 lbs in nine months without doing a single day without eating anything and my fast days were rarely under 800 calories and yet according to some people this doesn’t count as a fast! But it worked! I will continue to tweak what I do to try and maintain my new weight as evenly as possible.

I agree with you, fatrabbit, that it is best to do what works. At the end of the day the goal is to loose weight, or maintain it rather than stick to a formula.
    I started to keep a food diary and write down everything I eat in a day with the calories. I aimed to stay between 1000 and 1300 cal which seemed quite a generous lot compared to the gruelling 500kcal fast days.I wanted to do that for a while with fast days in between, but I soon realised that I was still loosing weight, especially when I stayed below 1300cal.In fact I am loosing faster and more consistently, without bouncing up and down so much like before. So I have actually given up on the fast days for the time being.
    The weighing of foods and the cal counting may appear a bit of a chore, but I got used to it and find it quite fun even, for me the benefits are definitely worth it. I know exactly how much of my favorite snacks I can allow myself without going overboard every day and that makes my life easy.
    I am now down to 53.7kg and near my goal of 52kg.Life is good!

Strangely as soon as I accepted 74kg as an acceptable weight and stopped fighting to fast and failing my weight dropped below it! I think mood is perhaps the deciding factor. When you feel positive your body doesn’t feel it needs to hang on to the fat because tough times are ahead when it will be needed, maybe, that seems to make sense and is certainly the experience I am gaining. Whenever I feel good I lose weight and whenever I feel bad it just won’t budge no matter how little I eat. I have been keeping a diary of what I am eating and estimates of calorie intake on the tracker here and weighing every day. It is interesting looking at how results vary with input in such a variable way. Definitely not a simple straight line relationship! Last week I was losing without fasting, except in as much as I never eat in the morning or early afternoon. Yesterday I was excited about having signed up for a course and simply didn’t feel hungry so I did a proper only 500 calorie fast for the first time in over a week and the weight fell off me, I was lighter in the evening than the morning, but I suspect the same amount of food on an anxious day would have had no result as similar eating days last month have not. This morning my measurements are down for the first time in over a month too. My waist is 28.5 inches, hips/bust 37 inches. BMI 23.9. Yay!! 159.8 lbs, 72.5kg.

Well done on being close to your goal PoggyVegan:))

A year ago I was 100 lbs heavier than I am now. I was struggling to move, bending was something that required planning and even my XXXL trousers were popping buttons when I so much as breathed. I am so pleased that I have done something about it. Now my clothes are loose and many sizes smaller, bending is easy and I feel wonderful 🙂

A year ago I thought that I couldn’t lose weight. It was just too daunting, too big, too miserable. I thought that trying to lose weight would just make me think about food more and lead to weight gain the way it had every other time I attempted it. And yet I knew that if I didn’t I couldn’t continue to do my work as the weight gain was chipping away at my abilities. I was suffering with asthma, with fibromyalgia, with anxiety. A year ago I was incredibly worried about the future. A year ago I was on the verge of discovering the solution. I had looked on as someone close had lost the weight that she had carried for years by doing 5:2. I was nearly ready to commit to it. But not quite. In October last year I was still eating pasta every day, and beans on toast and burritos and enchiladas with tortillas. Lots of things made from flour. Lots of simple carbs. And they were going straight to producing more fat and they were making me hungrier. Making me crave more and more and more of them. I had already stopped giving in to sugar cravings and stopped the cycle of treats in the evenings. After about three weeks of stubborn refusal to give in that had stopped being a problem. But it didn’t stop the weight gain. To reverse the trend I had to give up pasta and wheat in general. A year ago I wasn’t yet ready to do that.

But a year on I have done it 🙂 I want to encourage anyone else sitting on the fence to get off it and get on with it. This is possible, you can do it and you will be so happy that you did! I feel at least twenty years younger. My energy levels are way up, my mood is way up and my anxiety and pain levels are way down. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! This isn’t about what other people think of you, it isn’t about society’s expectations, it is about how you feel. Do it for yourself.

I have just over a week to go until I reach my one year of fasting anniversary. I am currently 151 lbs, with a waist of 28 inches, hips and bust of 36.5 inches and a BMI of 22.6. I am really close to where I want to be, which has emerged as 150lbs, or ten stone ten, BMI 22.5,right smack in the middle of the healthy range. Round numbers always appeal to me…

I am feeling really well and am more active than ever having started a couple of night classes which mean that I have to travel into the city which means a long walk to the train station and back. That was difficult at first but now I do it easily. I am glad this keeps me active on at least a couple of the dark nights now the clocks have changed. I need to find something to do another night perhaps. Being active at night also means that I don’t eat until either really late or at all, although I have found when I don’t eat at all my appetite can get a bit full on the next day, although that may just have been while I was building muscle for my new activity. I always walk alot during the day but in fits and starts which is not the same as a prolonged walk, much of it up hill. Even my core is benefiting. I can see the beginnings of muscle definition on my stomach and feel the hard muscle sheet under the loose skin. And my hip measurement actually went up again slightly due to more muscle on my rear. It needed to, it was getting very bony. I have never been able to feel my pelvis like that before. It is a very good thing that I now have my cocyx cushion. I take it with me to the classes and use it on the train too. Without it I would be in a lot of pain. Even sitting on the bed makes it burn these days as my padding is so reduced. More muscle in that area is definitely something to aim for.

Hopefully I can lose that last pound by the 9th and then officially enter maintenance. Which is a challenge in itself…

Thanks so much for sharing your journey, (un)fatrabbit! It was so inspiring to read. I’ve only just started 5:2 again and it feels a bit daunting to have a large amount of weight to lose… but I can fully relate to your feeling of being in a fat suit that you don’t recognise. So here’s me hoping I’ll be able to take mine off relatively soon as well!
    And well done! X

@abfab5 You can do it! I found that knowing it works made all the difference. And being able to tell myself I could eat the next day. Breaking things into manageable pieces makes them doable. Once you start you will get there if you keep at it.

A year ago I started reading about fasting. I was miserable and worried about the future. I didn’t think I was capable of working through the winter as my weight was inexorably increasing and moving increasingly difficult. I really really needed to find a solution. And I did. I read Jason Fung’s online material and felt so liberated by the knowledge that sugar makes you crave sugar and that being fat makes you hungrier. I was hungry not because I am greedy but because of my blood chemistry. It changed from a moral to a scientific thing which made it so much easier to tackle as it became less personal, more theoretical. And I like problem solving. I bought and read the every other day diet as an ebook. I didn’t go for 5:2 because I am impatient, I wanted certain fast results, and I was worried that given my unstable hormones during menopause it just wouldn’t work for me.

A year ago I weighed over 250lbs, possibly as much as 260. My waist was 45 inches, my hips about 55. My waist to height ratio was 0.66 and my BMI about 39. Very unhealthy. A year later I weigh under 150lbs, my waist is 27.5 inches and my hips 36. My waist to height ratio is 0.4 and my BMI is 22.5. I am now happy with myself and ready to undertake the next challenge, that of maintenance.

During the year I have completely changed how I eat. I used to have a large brunch at 11 or 12 and then spend the rest of the day sluggish and in pain. It always included toast or tortillas. Then I often had pasta or pizza or chips in the evening. I was vegetarian but ate very few vegetables. I struggled not to keep snacking during the evening having to constantly fight the urge for extra food. I was constantly hungry and when I tried to lose weight I just thought about food even more and as a consequence ate even more and went the wrong way. The first few fasts were very very difficult but I was desperate enough to power my way through them using a stream of black coffee and spice tea to fill my belly until I had all my calories in one decent sized meal, then more tea … At the end of that year I now eat mostly vegetables. I have only had toast once or twice over the year and was unimpressed by the bloating and discomfort that followed. And I only succumbed to pasta a few times despite it being a huge favourite. I am quite happy without it. Rice was another problem, also gone from my diet. The portions we considered normal were huge! And so unnecessary. The one good thing I did use to eat was beans and they are still a staple. They come in so many different forms that they lend themselves to a wonderfully varied diet, but are high in protein and good for the gut biome. Definitely a keeper. But even those have reduced in the last few months. I have started to really like fruit, which I didn’t before, and vegetables have begun to be much more satisfying. I used to have this nagging feeling that they needed something with them, but not now. I often turn to fried cabbage as the bulk of a meal where previously I would have used rice or pasta or mashed potato. I am not afraid to cook with plenty of olive oil and add seeds too as well as put lots of spice and other veg in it. It is miles away from the soggy boiled cabbage the dinner ladies sadisticly tortured us with at school years ago.

I am sure my current feeling of well being has its basis in the changed inhabitants of my gut. And they obviously love fruit and veg and don’t rate cake or pasta at all.

I feel well equipped now to embark on my first year of maintenance. Here I go, Unfatrabbit is ready for the future.

Thanks for your pep talk 😁 and I think you’re right. Fasted yesterday and was so hungry after my dinner, but kept telling myself I could have whatever I wanted for breakfast today. Now it’s the next day, I’m not really that hungry. And it IS working! ☺️

Your story is very inspiring. I am so happy for you to have found better health and well-being through doing this! And – I love cabbage, too, preferably raw as I love the crunchiness. The same with broccoli. And just vegetables in general…

Dear un-fatrabbit, you have done so incredibly well and are a true inspiration to all on the path of weightloss.
    I never had so much to loose, but it also worked well for me, loosing 13kg in one year. I still want to loose 1kg eventually, but have decided to have a month of maintanance in between, so that my body truly accepts the new size.
    My eating habits have not changed much, since I always ate lots of veg as a vegan, but I have also cut back on bread and noodles and rice a lot, and I know I start to gain as soon as I eat those things.
    However, I am now on holiday on Mallorca for a week and it’s a time where I also let myself go a bit, and bread is a food of convenience that I allow myself more of. The good thing with this diet is that it works so well and you know, that any possible little gain is quickly dealt with with a few fasting days.
    l am feeling much better in myself, little joiNT
    complaints have gone and I can only encourage anybody to begin this journey, it is so worth it!

@poggy-vegan – happy to hear you’ve done well! And I’m also vegan 🌱

Cool AbFab5, good luck on your journey, I am sure you can do it if you really want to.

@poggy-vegan thank you! I’m really hoping to be successful this time around.

I am very pleased that I have stayed under my 150lb goal through my non fast days this week, so may go even lower this week. Wriggle room is always welcome. A good start to my first year of maintenance:))

Interestingly I am craving fruit and salad and not missing the cheese at all. Probably a good time to go back to being vegan especially given the havoc dairy plays on my hands. They are painful enough from the cold without adding extra inflammation.

Down below ten and a half stone this morning and yesterday wasn’t even a fast day. I am curious to see where my body decides is the right place to maintain as it doesn’t seem to like my nice round 150 lbs. BMI of 22 for now. I can see there is still fat that could go from under the skin but it isn’t bothering me so I will just see what happens. I am happy as long as I don’t gain again and as long as I stick to eating this way I don’t foresee a problem. I ate quite large amounts on a couple of days this week and still lost weight so I don’t need to worry. It just needs to be the right food at the right time. Last night I made a gorgeous stir fry. Cabbage and kale, mushrooms and peppers, beans and sugar snap peas and purple carrots with sunflower seeds flavoured with chili, turmeric, fennel and caraway. Yum. I ate three bowls full and lost over a pound. I also ate 4 pieces of fruit and a few squares of dark chocolate. Healthy and delicious and enough of it. I like eating this way.

I haven’t done particularly well resisting Christmas temptations this year. Especially compared with last when I didn’t miss a single fast day doing ADF right through Christmas and lost a substantial amount of weight in December. I raided the chocolate and nuts meant to go in the stockings and gave myself a splitting headache by eating a bag of doritos. Not much damage done to my weight but I don’t want to fall back into bad habits, bad moods and illhealth so it can’t continue. I managed the big Christmas shop without adding sweet treats except for pudding for Christmas day so there is nothing to raid. If I want sweet it has to be fruit. And people are under strict instructions not to buy me, or my sons, chocolate or sweets for Christmas. We all need to lose weight. I have bought healthy savoury treat food, organic cheese and smoked salmon for the boys, olives for my sister and nuts and dried apricots for my mum. Proper treats, not a nudge towards illhealth both mental and physical. Knowing what I know now I can’t in good conscience give anyone biscuits cake or chocolates. Here have some misery, love from me. I think not!

I didn’t intend to write about that. But to reset my goal to ten stone. I thought I would be too thin at that weight but at a few pounds over it I can see there is easily three pounds that could go from my bottom and legs. My upper body is properly thin, but my rear is not there yet and and I find I do want it thinner. There is of course weight in the loose skin too but there are also still handfuls of fat. So my wedding weight of 140 lbs, i.e. ten stone is again the target, as it was when I first started this post. I am 142.6 this morning so not far to go. Surely having come so far I can get there. Christmas is just one day after all not a cliff I am going to fall off! Doing it by the 21st of Jan, a year after starting this post would be a good target, that is as a steady thing, bounces brought under control. You don’t own a weight the first time you reach it.

Fat Rabbit…

What a fantastic journey you have been on over this last year….you are an amazing inspiration to lots of people on here. Congratulations and a very large well done..

You are now going into maintenance which is a harder journey..take it steady and watch the scales…

We from experience lost all our weight…from the ‘we are at goal Hurray’..hubby then having two knee replacements, too many lovely food gifts eating and being laid up..then all the weight going back on…..😩 over a year…

2015 the start again of a full year fasting again to loose all our weight ( hubby still not there) a years maintenance…now I am ready for another 7 lbs off in the new year with hubby hopefully a bit more…

I suggest you keep blogging on here and let everyone know how you are doing maintaining and it will keep you focused…

I give you our very best wishes…a fantastic achievement..

Jean x

Thanks for your kind words Jean. I wish you luck with that seven pounds 🙂

Today I have reached my original goal. I had got impatient and moved the goalposts upwards a couple of times telling myself that I was fine at that point and that I would be too thin with a BMI of 21 but basically I was tired of being so strict with myself. However despite my wavering resolve I have finished by reaching the original target of ten stone, 140 lbs, that was what I weighed when I got married thirty years ago when I was 22. And I am not too thin, in fact I can still see places where I could lose a bit more, mainly from my upper legs. But then I wasn’t satisfied with my body then either. Are we ever given the barrage of social pressure we endure as we grow up in the modern world?

I was helped in the final stretch by a flare up of my impacted wisdom tooth causing me to eat even less than usual. After a week of trying to calm it down using topical treatment I have had to give in and accept that antibiotics are going to be necessary. I really don’t want to take them after all I have learned about gut bacteria but I can’t carry on like this. I feel as if I am betraying them after they have helped me to regain my health! I am going to pay close attention to the way my body reacts during and after the course. Today is day one, nothing to report as yet.

Today it has been 14 months since I started fasting and I can hardly believe how different I look and feel. I have met every goal and although there is still some fat around my belly and thighs the rest of me is quite skinny. My skin has done amazingly well at shrinking too for the most part. Again it is my belly and thighs that are saggy but that is where I was carrying most of the weight. It is hard to think that I was carrying the equivalent of two and a half sacks of rabbit pellets around with me all the time. While I can manage to lift one I simply couldn’t lift two and a half of them. No wonder life was such a struggle. I have lost an entire person. 8 stone! Many women weigh that. I

This year hasn’t started well. First toothache then I managed to poison myself eating too many chocolate covered golden berries. They are healthy a few at a time, not by the bag. Yet another lesson hopefully learned. I was far too ill to go to my language class last night. My head was splitting, I was shivery and achy and my insides were hellbent on jumping ship. Sugar has deeply unpleasant effects and being dressed up in a healthy coat can only do so much to mask it. No more dried fruit for me!

I am going through a very hungry phase at the moment. I successfully fasted on Monday when I went to my language course at the university getting in my long walk to and from the train. But since then I have been so hungry and tired and have eaten beyond tdee every day and my weight is now higher than a month ago. 144lbs, six above my low point. A number of things may be behind this. Possibly the antibiotics, maybe tiredness and stress from the routine change and extra work from my middle son moving home again, maybe the cold and the time of year, maybe my hormones… Anyway I am not going to let it upset me too much. I am staying away from carbs and eating well, just rather a lot…

I made a very delicious vegan swede gratin and a vegan cauliflower cheese tonight using coconut flour, vegan cheese and soya milk. Both gorgeous. I haven’t had seconds yet but it is probably inevitable…

Hi @fatrabbit – been missing you on the other forum – so thought I’d call in here to tell you just that. I see you’ve a few challenges on your plate but if anyone will overcome, it’s you. All the best.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply.