I was able to fast today!!! Whoaaoo!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
I was able to fast today!!! Whoaaoo!

This topic contains 86 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  timnz 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 37 posts - 51 through 87 (of 87 total)

• Mmmm, maybe.
    Although i don’t drink or smoke., gave up sugar and potato chips for 3 mths and realised I use to go ‘ which choc bar shall I get’ while in line at the supermarket and once I wasn’t on sugar, couldn’t think that anymore and now I don’t do that ( now I’m on sugar again. But I have to be careful. Why have one piece of cake when I can have the whole cake? I don’t seem to have any limits!!)
    I don’t drink tea or coffee, cos I don’t want to use it to ‘ wake me up’ etc

I want to live in a way where I am in control of the food and not the food controlling me.
    A handful of crisps…not the whole bag

I started back doing no sugar or wheat 2 days a week, for a couple weeks then found 5:2 via my sister who had great success on it ( she is in the uk) so read the book. Watched the program which was in nz in October and decided this might be better for losing some more weight ( lost 6 kilos since April, bmi now 27 so need to drop more )
    And also for the health benefits, seeing I already don’t drink anything really bad…ie fizzy drinks, diet or otherwise, I’m a water girl and the odd hot choc

But I will think about what you said and see if I eat for any other reason than it is there, or I’m bored.
    I had a habit of getting up and eating when an ad came on. I realised after a few months..that’s not good!

We eat cos we are bored, sad, happy, lonely etc.
    that’s more me…emotional eater. But not hugely…more, I like the party in my mouth and every opportunity, I WILl TAKe IT!!

But mums apple pie, or grams sponge, doesn’t make me pine for the food, but I can see how it would for some. It ‘ makes you feel love’

I love eating as a social thing though. Nothing better.
    But I’m not a binge secret eater….

Hurray.

If I was, that is a hard thing to fix.

Thanks for your thoughts though…interesting.

I don’t pine for food either, luckily. But like you I find myself strolling through the kitchen during the ad break, or picking up things I don’t really need in the supermarket because they look so good and I can imagine already what they will taste like – I love your description of a food party in your mouth!

Being in control more does sound good, and I think 5:2 helps. Also I don’t even want to binge after fasting because I feel so good after a fast. Positive thinking is what I need. I’m glad I found this forum with like minded folks too!

I’m an all day grazer and dont like to “.Feel hungry”
    But I have since been following this website ( blog) she is an Aussie who lived in France and recommends we follow the French. Eat 3 meals, eat when hungry, stop when satisfied.
    Obviously they all smoke..so don’t do that! But eat sitting down not at the kitchen sink.

I love her thinking and I agree , it is the way to go…and I mostly try that, but some days..man. Watch out, if it is moving, I’m going to grab it!

http://sallyasher.com

Another lady is cyndi omeara who is an Aussie who is absolutely the best re food
    http://Www.changinghabits.com.au

She says eat food your grandmother recognizes. If you can’t pronounce the ingredients, don’t put it in your mouth
    Don’t eat marg, as made in a factory..eat butter, made in nature etc.

So with those 2 ladies as my gurus and now this lifestyle, fasting for health reasons, I should be set forever!!

I agree re I don’t want to blow it after a fast day and I am now much more mindful of what goes in my gob.
    I am slipping re grazing. I need to rein that in and just eat if it is a meal time and I’m hungry.
    If not hungry, then wait.
    Don’t just eat cos it is there.

By all means, take the cake from morning tea home and have it after your lunch, don’t just have it ‘ cos it is there and you aren’t hungry and it is not lunchtime or dinner time’
    If it is 3 pm, grab a donut, but take it home and have as a dessert after a well balanced meal.

Sure some days, that’s not going to happen, but 80% of your body is made in the kitchen 20% is polished at the gym.

So eat whatever you like, only if it is a meal time , you are sitting down mindfully and enjoying it ( like the French) and stop when satisfied not bloated.

How easy is that…NoT!

Mindful eating works well. For ages I’ve been telling my hubby to sit down while he eats his breakfast. We eat our evening meals together. It’s definitely the grazing that’s the issue. I try to out it off and make a drink instead, doesn’t always work, but it does work a lot.

Make food less of an issue, and eating until you’re satisfied rather than full. Then stop. You don’t have to finish everything on your plate like when you were little. πŸ™‚ I do like your idea of bringing cake home to eat with a meal, that would save me eating cake at break, then something else for dessert later as well.

Easy? If it were easy would we all be here? But, we are making changes and doing something positive about it!

Yes, if it was easy we would all be bmi of 19!

When I went off sugar, the amount of stuff I said no too..I cried. So sometimes brought it home and froze it for when I started eating again.
    I had 10000 things lined up on October 11!

Anyway, I then got the runs, sciatica and decided binging after 3 mths is not a good thing and I tried 3 mths no sugar, so I would then be able to control myself around sweet stuff.
    At least his way , 2 days a week I do!
    The other 5 I need to work on.
    Maybe we can do it together?

We are allowed one sugar item a day on the 5 ‘ healthy’ days.
    I’m going away in 2 weeks and I can’t do 500 cals, but I’m doing 2 days no wheat or sugar.
    So you want to try 5 days 1 palm sized treat?

So that’s one biscuit..not 5 stacked up. Not one whole packet..but one item.

And only one ‘ treat’ a day. Like the French would do ( although croissants are not sugar. Only wheat so when I am in France..they don’t count, but the choc au pain do!)

So choose wisely!

I’m tending to have 2 bowls ice cream, cos I was ‘ fasting yesterday’
    Then 3 biscuits..and then some potato chips.

But if I just have one of those things …my fasts will be beneficial!

I don’t count calories on non fast days and won’t ever. I don’t even care what my calorie intake should be.
    I care about if it is natural.
    Ie full fat Greek yoghurt and not “low fat” cheap full of sugar yo plait etc .
    But I do want to care about my grazing habits. They are sabotaging anything good I am trying to do.

We eat as a family each night around the table.
    Breakfast is together..but at the breakfast bar in shifts.
    Lunch I’m alone usually..with the dog.
    I have breakfast then..as not hungry till about 11 ish.

Anyway, want to try?
    2 days fasting, sugar really isn’t an option.
    And 5 healthy days, one treat. ( and if more than one treat wanted, we freeze it for the next days… So we ain’t missing out, just spacing our binging!)

@lisame

“Make food less of an issue, and eating until you’re satisfied rather than full. Then stop. You don’t have to finish everything on your plate like when you were little. ”

My mind is in agreement with you.

My responses are often different.

More time needed, please.

➰

You could always say, I’ll pop it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

See, not wasted. We can move on from the starving African babies that we were threatened with as kids this way.
    Not feel ‘ guilt’ for not finishing every last morsel…(or no dessert.)

Just pop it away for another time.

Rocky, it’s more of a plan at the moment. We can’t be perfect straight away, or we might risk expecting too much and feeling we’ve failed, which can lead to falling off the wagon.

I do want a healthier relationship with food though, and a healthier body. I’m working on it. πŸ™‚

@dumpling

“You could always say, I’ll pop it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.”

My wife is better at doing that.

It’s a behavior better flavored with an ongoing 5:2 discipline.

It’s not just the fasting that we are learning.

It’s discipline.

➰

@lisame
    “which can lead to falling off the wagon.”

This 5:2 wagon has multiple landing areas so that most everyone can stay on the wagon.

There are those few that have mastered 5:2 and are riding at the front of the wagon.

➰

Rocky: thank goodness for multiple landing areas…. πŸ™‚

Thank goodness for drivers!

Thank goodness for car doors?

You don’t like wagons?

Weigh day
    1.3. kilo off in 2 weeks.
    Considering my chocolate biscuit breakfast this morning ( my daily non fast diet) I’m pleased!
    That’s like 1.3 lbs a week.

Grats! I love wagons, but they’re so much easier to fall from than cars.

“You could always say, I’ll pop it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.”

I do this every time I cook. I live on my own and never cook for one. I only actually cook from scatch maybe once a week (at a weekend usually) and if there’s noone to eat up all 4 portions (I usually cook for 4-6 with the recipes I like) I’ll box the other portions up and fill the freezer with them. The ‘individual meals for one’ shelf is currently full (about 9 meals there) and there are bags of soups dotted around too (about 5, 2 different types). It means I always have a nice healthy, balanced and roughly calorie counted meal waiting for me in the freezer. 5mins and dinner’s sorted on a non fastday.

I actually find that many meals are actually MUCH tastier when they’ve been frozen and then reheated in the microwave than they were on the day I made them. Curries, chilli and lasagna are 3 I can think of straight away that really benefit from being frozen & reheated. Weird – but there you go.

Yum!

Can I live with you?

No – no – I think I should come & live with you πŸ˜‰

Yes!!!! Please do!!!

Do you find that the second day after a fast day you weigh less than just after?
    Ie fasted Monday, lighter Wednesday than Tuesday, then I fasted Wednesday, and I had dropped a little Thursday but today, Friday I’m 400 grams less ….so my weight for 2 weeks and one day fasting is now 1.8 kilos off, whereas at 2 weeks it was 1.4

So I think I m liking this extra loss after a binge day!!

Grats on the extra loss Dumpy!

And yeah Tracy, I’m with you completely on the lasagna thing – it’s always tastier when it’s been frozen. Weird, but true!

Hmmm – I very much doubt I’m lighter today than I was yesterday, as I had a massive wedge of cake lastnight that appeared to be crack (or maybe just a solid block of doughy sugar) in cake form. God it was lovely – it’s a good job there was only one slice available, I’d have inhaled the lot if there’d been more.

Anyway, I don’t know how my weight fluctuates throughout the week really, as I only weigh once a month. I didn’t actually lose anything last month (it didn’t help that my weigh in was the day after I’d polished off all the leftover Halloween goodies that no children turned up to claim on the 31st πŸ˜‰

I do need to do a bit more exercise though and be a bit more careful about my intake on non-fastdays – so it was a little wake-up call for me πŸ™‚

Nice to think that I might have been a tiny bit lighter if I’d weighed myself 2 days after my last fastday though.

Once a month??? I would break down and buy scales if that was me…I am on a need to know basis, daily!

Ok, so 2 weeks and off to Paris.
    I have 4 fast days to go. I need to lose 10 kilos in that time.

This week I think I’ll do Monday and Wednesday.
    Taking kids for pizza Monday as we are in town and it’s $4.90 rude not too,..so this is a real sacrifice.
    As I lovvvvveee pizza.

But if I want to lose, I need to choose!!! How catchy is that, just made it up.

Now where’s more cake……( thanks Tracey..)

Humph – no cake today. Fastday! Still pretty full from yesterday anyway, so no worries. Had a granny smith yesterday – I’d forgotten how filling they are & it was a really tart one – Mmmmm yummy!

I don’t own scales. I weigh myself on my Wii once a month. I used to use the Wii quite a bit for fitness but have not bothered for about 2 years now (mostly because it was making no difference to my weight and my cardiac fitness was already pretty good anyway). I might start using it more often than once a month again. Maybe it’ll be more help on the losing weight thing now I’ve got that party started already πŸ˜‰

Don’t think I’ll weigh myself any more regularly though – once a month is good for me.

10 kilos in 2 weeks? Good luck dumpy…

Why does everyone here keep talking about food?! It’s not helping me at all during fast days damnit!

5. Out of 7 truffles were in my gob…..by 2.10pm.

2 are in the freezer, but not for much longer !!!

Back on the fast day tomorrow though, so best to get rid of them now…don’t you think?!! Ha ha

Enjoy your yummy 500 cal meal tonight, πŸ™‚ those truffles were 500 cals each

500 cals for one truffle? Good look staying within your TDEE at 3500 cals!

See other thread re rant about tdee

My cals are probably 4000 a day, cos a whole packet of toffee pops are 2,600!!

Hahaha if you eat 4000 cals on normal days and still lose weight I will hunt you down and kill you, woman.

Ok, so not following any calorie restriction on the other 5 days and in 3 weeks ( Halloween was my first fast day)
    84.7 kilos…down to 82.7
    Whoaaoo

In April I was 89.5

It’s so much better to be 7 kilos ( nearly) lighter.
    I wonder where my body weight will end up?

My muffin belly has shrunk. Now it doesn’t stick out further than my stomach!! My knickers don’t hang under it. It’s all nearly flat there…well, flat as in size 14 flat. Not size 18 anymore.

Whoaaoo

Bring on my trip,
    Watch me walk..and shrink and move a lot more than I do at home! ( tv and Internet. But both can be done lying down)

Congrats on the weight loss! 2kg in 3 weeks is a nice loss.

Will you be posting from abroad?

Absoluuuooooomont

Absolutement *

Or just oui!, that works as well. Oh oh oh eat a bunch of croissants for me… I freaking love warm croissants. They, of course, don’t have them in China, so I may gain a few kg when I arrive in New Zealand because of the croissant indulgence… and of course other foods I’ve missed in China. Which is like, everything. -_-

New member here, in New Zealand (Wellington). Watched the BBC show last, plan to read the book tonight, have a workmate doing it, likely to give it a go starting later this week. I’d like to do 5-7kg in 3 months – I generally find 1kg per week achievable on most diets (I’ve tried them all).

Dumpling, you said “Well I did 21 hrs fasting, could have done 24 but I made the Kids a baked cheesecake and kind of wanted to eat..;)”.

My (very limited) understanding is you “fast” from dinner on day until breakfast two days later – eg you eat a proper meal Monday night, you eat very little on Tuesday, and you eat a normal breakfast Wednesday. That makes the fast more like 36 hours than 24. Or have I misunderstood something?

Wellington! Oooooeh I’m already staying with Dumpy for a week, I’ll find you… πŸ˜‰

Anyway, about the fasts πŸ™‚ Basically yes, you got it right – that’s the basic of 5:2! However a lot of people (counting myself) see ‘fasting’ of not eating any food at all (just drinking water (me), or some tea or other non-caloric drinks). So they’d have a proper meal Monday night, then a 500 calorie meal Tuesday evening (breaking the fast) and then a normal breakfast Wednesday. That makes the 5:2 fast 36 hours, but the actual fast (where you don’t eat anything) about 24 hours.

Get it now? ^^

Not really! It seems like this is a new area where more research is really required.

I do remember hearing on the TV show that there’s some debate around eating once, twice, or three times a day. I take it your preference is once? I guess it works differently for everyone?

Lol what’s not clear about what I said then? I thought it was quite clear…

There is a ton of research, I’m just wondering what you mean exactly. Do you mean more research into fasting completely? There’s a ton of that…
    Yeah my preference is once a day, because to me fasting is giving your body a rest of digesting foods so it can focus on cellular repair and all that, whilst also using fat for energy instead of the food I keep putting in my body.

Makes sense now, thanks πŸ™‚ I’ll go read the book πŸ™‚

Viewing 37 posts - 51 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply.