I don't hate breakfast, just all the breakfast foods

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Meal plans and meals
I don't hate breakfast, just all the breakfast foods

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  KieranB1996 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• On fast days not only do I watch the calories, but I try very hard to eat foods as unprocessed as possible and without added sugar.

So far every fast day I start with Dav’s Killer Bread. (60 calories. Lots of seeds.) and 15 mg of whipped cream cheese. It’s fast, filling, nutritious. Once in a while I have Oven Gold turkey instead. (I like the protein but all the salt is suspect.)

This is great two months in. All is well. At least, all is well until I think about eating Dave’s Killer Bread with cream cheese two times a week for the rest of my life. Forever and ever.

The thing is, the only breakfast foods I like are ones completely inappropriate for fast days. I mean starting out with pancakes, hash browns and muffins not only leaves no calories for the rest of the day, but they don’t count as healthy, unprocessed foods without added sugar.

I hate yogurt. I hate it plain. I hate it with fruit. I hate it with flavorings. (I do like raita when it comes from an indian restaurant, but since I have no idea how many calories that would be and there’s no indian restaurant nearby that’s not helpful really. I wonder what they do to yogurt to make it so unyogurty.)

I hate eggs.

I hate oatmeal, farina, cream of wheat. All those porridge type things.

No mushrooms. No spinach.

And did I mention about my blood feud with eggs?

What am I going to eat when I can’t look at another piece of bread with cream cheese?

Did you know that in many South East Asian countries soup is the preferred breakfast? It would be great on fast day 🍵

I could definitely do soup!

I remember in Thailand watching a family eat curry (what looked like curry- perhaps soup? served with rice) for breakfast and thinking at the time, years ago (15 years ago+) it was sociable (they all sat together sharing the food) and seemed much healthier than our breakfast of pancakes and cereal.

What about fruit? Do you like fruit? Or nuts? What about cheese? Some fried haloumi cheese.

Yeah, non-breakfast foods are fine. I’d eat curry, but I like to keep breakfast light. (because OMG what if later in the day I get hungry and I’m out of calories, and there’s a famine, and a plague and the zombie apocalypse begins????)

Hence I don’t think I’d do fried cheese on a fast day, and actually, I try really hard to keep away from sugar on those days, including fruit sugar. If at the end of the day I have enough calories for fruit I will have some then.

On non-fast days all these suggestions work for me.

Also, I feel a little embarrassed about being one of those people who asks for help and then has all these excuses not to accept it.

Finally, I’m not really worried about a zombie apocalypse.

Ok so no fruit, oatmeal, eggs, mushrooms, spinach, cheese, nuts, porridge, yogurt, hash browns, pancakes, muffins (the last three are pretty awful so no probs there), cream of wheat. Well that leaves a selection of meats and vegetables. But you want to keep it light. So soups and salads fits the bill. Look for soup and salad recipes. You could try fasting on your fast day, so that would remove a lot of the complications of deciding what to have for breakfast. Its Monday today so Im water fasting. Makes it really easy not having to worry what to have. Water is light and easy. Good luck.

That would make it easy to choose a breakfast. If I got bored with still water I could have sparkling 🙂

Yes I went through that phase of buying lots of sparkling water. I just have water or a coffee now. it does get easier the longer you do it. Guts it out for a month, it gets easier after that. Personally it took me 6 months before I found it had become really really easy. Ive now been doing this for 3 1/2 years. I find it very easy. I happily cook for the family while fasting. The only difficult part is I cant taste the food as Im cooking it to know if I need to add salt, pepper, seasoning etc.

Try these. Feel free to remove any offending ingredients. We have a fruit smoothie with breakfast, which is included in the food values.

Improper English: 289 calories 2.5 g fat 5.8 g fiber 16 g protein 61 g carb 210.8 mg Calcium NB: those are COMPLEX carbs, the kind that are good for you. Or, you could eliminate the bread. A “proper English” is the full Victorian breakfast, serving every conceivable food you can imagine. This version leaves out the eggs and kippers [how improper!], but keeps the protein-rich baked beans along with the rest of the usual stand-bys.
    ¼ cup baked beans one slice 3%-fat ham 1/4 piece of 70-cal whole-grain toast ½ of a 2.5” diameter tomato 5-6 oz fruit or green smoothie or unpasturized apple cider blackish coffee or tea or lemon in hot water
    Cut the tomato around its equator and put one half away for later. Salt the tomato and put under the broiler until it softens. Cook the ham and mushrooms in the same pan to heat through. Heat the beans – perhaps in the microwave. Toast the bread and brew the hot beverage. Pour the smoothie and plate everything. Cheerio!

Nordic Breakfast: 281 calories 12.7 g fat 7.1 g fiber 16.5 g protein 37.5 g carbs 201 mg Calcium PB This is based on a recipe from the Fast Diet book, but I always thought it looked like a puny anount of food. Au contraire: this will fill you up. Note that today we will serve only half of the usual smoothie amount.
    3 slices of Finn Crisp crackers 1.3 oz smoked salmon 2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese 2 rings thinly sliced red onion ½ cup raspberries blackish coffee NOTE: 3 oz smoothie
    Carefully spread the cream cheese on the crackers. Divide the salmon among them. Arrange the onion rings atop the salmon. Slice the apple and pour your hot beverage.

Herring Plate: 292 calories 8.4 g fat 4.9 g fiber 12.6 g protein 32.8 g carbs 199 mg Calcium PB If you like herring, this is the breakfast for you. It makes a nice change from morning eggs and this is prepared in no-time-flat. Do NOT eat herring if you are taking antidepressent medicine, as herring is high in tyramine.
    3 Finn Crisp crackers http://www.finncrisp.com/wp-content/gallery/products/multigrain-w-sourdough-rye.jpg 1.25 oz herring marinated in wine [not sour cream] 2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese 4 Bing cherries 3 oz fruit smoothie or natural apple cider blackish coffee or tea or lemon in hot water Do I need to describe this preparation? Spread the cream cheese on the crackers and pile on the herring. Delicious and so satisfying.

Thank you!
    I’m especially intrigued by the beans on toast idea and the smoothies. And the idea of fish for breakfast.
    There’s a place near me that sells a really nice smoked trout. It’s kind of high in sodium, but it might be a really good alternative to the same breakfast for infinity.

You can eat fruits and salads with some chat masala…..

Chat masala sounds like it would be delicious.

I completely agree I have more time in the morning so my ‘go to’ is pancakes topped off with whipped cream. I tend to go for a sweetened whipped cream recipe with some vanilla extract. I agree with your point about yogurt, it’s also to heavy and makes me feel sick sometimes.

I’m not used to having breakfast at all. For some reason in the morning my stomach stubbornly refuses to accept food. Although I suspect it’s more a matter of habit. Because by 11 in the morning I’m already insanely hungry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.