I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,101 through 2,150 (of 3,046 total)

• Hi, Karen. First of all, PROPS, sister, for the discipline of running in the rain!!! And thanks, as well, for holding up the honor of the sisterhood in doing so! 😏 All these little things we do — though running in the rain is certainly not “little” at all! — change our patterns and push our self-assessment to the “healthy” and “strong” side, so You. Go. Girl!

I guess I do IF differently. I don’t count anything. I rely on the righteousness of doing my FDs and choosing sensible food on my food days. But, since you asked, I do have binge days. I’ve been on IF for 4 months now and I’ve really lost my appetite for the outrageous stuff (some occasional hiccups aside). And I don’t exactly *plan* to binge, but, if I feel like it, I have something a little junky — like deep fried foods — on my last food day. And if I don’t do that, I try to have something special, something a little more ambitious or luxurious for that last meal. Then 2 days of FDs smash down any cravings it might cause and I go back to sensible eating.

On the other hand, over a lifetime I’ve identified foods that sabotage me every time and I Just. Don’t. Do. Them. anymore. I haven’t stopped loving them. I’m glad I can rely on memories of how they taste and how they feel like LOVE in my stomach but I also won’t forget how they were running my life and wrecking it at the same time. And why go there?, if you know what I mean.

Glad you’ve joined us!

Yesterdays food day was as sloppy as the previous day’s FD but today I’m resolved to follow your example and get firmly back on track. That will mean lots of activity and errands to keep me moving and distracted. I’m confident by next week I’ll be back in the saddle.

Oops! I thought that previous post had disappeared into the ether so this one was redundant. …and less spontaneous. 😊

Checking in to say that I actually stuck to my word and just completed my 7th day of walking for 30 minutes. I’m glad I’m doing it, but what a procrastinator I am! Mid-way, I like it. When it’s done, I feel happy. But getting started — sheesh! You’d think I could focus on the happy part but every day so far it’s only been my promise that got me up on my feet.

I started with 6 5-minute sessions but today I managed 2 15-minute ones, so I think I’m getting somewhere. So glad you’re all ahead of me to show me what’s possible!

Karen, you raise an interesting point about a binge day per week. It wouldn’t work for me at all as binging is the last thing I would want to do again, especially as I never had one that merely lasted a day! But I’m new here and curious to hear what the more experienced people think.

Lolly, I put on my exercise clothes when I get up even though I wait several hours to go to the gym when it’s populated by older people like me and the machines are available without waiting lines. Once I’ve made that declaration each morning I just follow through.

I’m proud of what you’re doing! I began setting a timer and just walking 100 steps around my house several times a day. Now I’m up to an hour on a challenging cross country program on a recumbent bike. It’s amazing how that feeling of exhaustion/rush pushes us on to more healthy behavior. Thank god for it!

As I think I said before, there are ways of looking at a “binge” and ways of handling it. I try to have something I can look forward to for my last meal before my FDs. It breaks my pattern and feels indulgent. The FDs keep it from becoming craving that sabotages me.

That said, I am still white knuckling my way through the mess I made of eating my trigger foods last week when I was anxious. Best to do whatever you can (that’s an editorial “you” not aimed at you personally, Lolly) to avoid trigger foods once you’ve identified them!!! I’m relying on my Fast Diet groups to get me back on the straight-and-narrow, so thanks for your inspiration! 😏

I agree completely with you, LA, about the trigger foods. Perhaps some people can handle having “a little bit” but I’m not one of them. I doubt it would ever be safe for me. Fortunately, with the food I’m eating now, I’m completely happy so I don’t feel I need any special treats. It’s all delicious!

Excellent idea about putting on the exercise clothes first thing — I’m going to adopt that tip tomorrow!

My first thoughts Karen, where that you had missed the point. But I thought about my food journey and realized that my attitude has changed enormously as the months ticked by without me being aware a the time.

I thought that that the 5:2 would never work for me, that I was a lost cause, so to prove that point I ate 500 calories and not a smidgen more on 2 days a week. I ate whatever I liked on the others and lost 1 lb a week most of the time. I became aware that I really liked the FD food(often prawns/salad or fish/salad) and started looking at the other days and making small improvements. Months passed and i continued to celebrate each FD with an Almond Croissant the very next day-quite a bonkers thing to do, but I didn’t know that I was hooked on sugar.For 2 Decembers I have eaten what I liked and managed to pile on 10 lb…and then spent months shifting it again. This year it was 4 lb only because there was no Christmas Cake and 1 box of mince pies, I had some Christmas Pudding but decided that it wasn’t as fabulous as I had imagined and certainly not worth the eye-watering amount of calories if it wasn’t going to be wonderful.This year, there will be no pud.
    In January I saw a programme by Micheal Mosley(Trust me I am a doctor)which looked at the amount of caffeine in varoius drinks and I was shocked to learn how much more was in tea, so I cut my consumption from 7/8 mugs/day to 3 overnight. I had headaches for a week but stuck to it..although now i think my headaches were lack of sugar rather than caffeine. I instantly reduced my sugar intake just in tea by 35 teaspoons/week!!!!!
    I am lucky enough to be provided with a choice of meals at lunchtime and had always had a pudding along with the mid morning and mid afternoon biscuits. I found that I felt much better with less tea and then noticed that I felt rubbish after lunch, really struggling to stay awake. I gave up puddings for a week as an experiment, didn’t have the post lunch crash and felt better, tried a couple of puddings the following week and felt rubbish again. So after months of dithering I cut my teaspoon of sugar down to a half and after much urging from friends and colleagues…I stopped putting it in my tea completely. There was a week of face-pulling and moaning..but I got used to it and now 6 months down the line I don’t even think about it anymore.
    I rarely have a pudding now, it isn’t worth how rubbish I feel afterwards. I eat far less chocolate, sweets and biscuits now….and as a result I feel much better.
    Sticky Toffee Pudding was the highlight of my week. Now I can walk past it without any sense of loss because I know that within an hour I will be yawning and struggling to stay awake. My favourite snack is a mashed avocado on toast, it makes me feel nourished, I like it and it is filling..an excellent post run meal.
    I like food that makes me feel good now. I do have chocolate etc now and again, but the daily vice like grip these sugar filled foods used to have on me has now gone. I feel free of the lunatic that was looking for the next sugar fix. Shop bought white crusty bread turns me into a mad woman as well, so i simply don’t buy it. My big downfall is ice cream, but although I love it, I just want more…and more-no surprise that this is yet another high sugar food.
    I have educated myself on the calorie cost of what I like to eat, so I am past the ‘looking it all up process’ which is both tedious and necessary. It does get better, choose things that you love for 500 calories on FD and I suspect you will notice what food makes you feel good and which ones don’t.

Forgot to say that I now have 56 teaspoons a week less just from tea!!!!!!!!

Jar tomato sauces also history.

One of the wonders of this program for eating is how durable it is. We can start out with our grudging concessions to a “diet” and it keeps plugging along and feeding us reward for just a couple days of backing off on the feedbag until we evolve, just as you describe, annette, to choosing to feel as well as we can. By that time there’s little sacrifice in turning our backs on the counterproductive foods.

So anyone can start where they start, set their goals and take all the time they need to get where they’re going making adjustments along the way! What could be better?

What do you find the medical community’s reaction to intermittent fasting is, annette? I just saw a conversation between Dr. Mosley and his American colleague Dr. Mercola who are both proponents of some form of fasting as a regular event. They both agreed that physicians and scientists are open to and persuaded by the accumulating hard information. And they agreed that dieticians and nutritionists were more likely to throw up their hands and hyperventilate at the idea. Even so, it is very slow taking off in the US despite a growing collection of anecdotal experiences and the fact that lots of the research IF is based on coming out of American universities.

Karen, if it weren’t for the “accidental” holidays from my new and improved life of control, I might schedule a binge day! But on second thought, I don’t think I would. I do enjoy eating what I like, but not to the point of feeling too too full. I think the my sugar war has helped in that regard; there is nothing on my list of “whole foods” that I could really overdo. Well, whole grain bread is close, but even that gets boring once you’re full.

All of which isn’t to say I don’t screw up. I mean, part of me can’t even believe I wrote the above paragraph. Yesterday was a good and proper screwup as I apparently had a bit too much of whatever is in Manhattans besides the cherry and the cool name. Very bad night, and today was rather rugged as well. Day 4 of no exercise, plus I led a search and destroy mission at work for candy and found it. Go figure, it did NOT make me feel better. After that, Godzilla demanded fried chicken. Now that we’ve made short work of Tokyo, it is time to kick myself back on track. Or maybe build a new track. In my defense, it is “birthday week” and hubs has wined and dined me to the max, knowing I love to eat out and try new restaurants. I mean, I do and all but holy smokes not every night!! Well ok, every night is kind of fun, but I am really losing the self-control battle this week. Just ignore me, islanders, and try not to watch the train wreck that is me, currently. It’s rather a fun ride but I am going to pay for it, I know….. But that’s the good thing about 5:2, I know I can repair the wreckage. In the meantime, good luck to all of you fasting and exercising like good islanders β™₯️ 🌴😎 xxx
    ps oops I see I’m about 8 posts behind – forgot to refresh the page. Well it has been that kind of day 😁 I will read up and check back in later. πŸ‘

Happy Birthday, dear Jade!!!! πŸŽ‚ How many is it? That’s birthdays, of course. Not restaurants.

So glad you have a husband who enjoys making you feel special. Can he grade papers too??? 😈

Thanks, Chubs – I will publicly admit to being 60-something 😎 old enough to behave far better but also old enough to have my share of wisdom about it! Love your suggestion of putting on the exercise clothes first thing. That’s what I just did, because I had to put the garbage out, and now that it’s broad daylight I can’t just slither out in my pjs. I don’t have to be in the office today, so WHY NOT GET AFTER THOSE MISSED EXERCISE SESSIONS, right? I’ll grade a paper or two first but my mind is already committed, so thank you for that great tip.
    Lolly you are inspiring with your commitment, step by step. You’re doing a fabulous job of pushing yourself at the right pace. Reminds me of that saying about a journey of a thousand miles starting with a single step πŸ’ͺ
    Annette, thank you for recounting your progress; as you know I have followed in your footsteps (this week notwithstanding – oops) and everything you say has been the same for me. I still pass that doughnut store twice a day but rarely even think about them anymore. Whole foods taste better too, without all the sugar. I can still gain weight eating them, but at least I don’t “feel rubbish” – I know I am healthier and that was a big secondary goal along with weight control. It’s been enlightening to learn about how different things affect our appetite, mood, etc. No wonder I felt like a lunatic sometimes, with all that sugar slamming me up and down. I mean, hormones are bad enough, no need to add to the fire.πŸ”₯πŸ”₯ Feeling good today, hoping to buckle back down to 5:2 but there are several more nights on this longest birthday in history (I am also old enough to be “hard to buy for” so hubs has opted for food and heaven knows I love that!). I am endeavoring to control myself but with a 🍷 or two, it doesn’t always happen. But I will get back to it. In the meantime, I do have the jogging gear onπŸƒ
    Karen, holy smokes I forgot about your rain run but cheers to you! And more cheers that you experienced the pride of going out and doing it when few others were out there. Hope the awesome feeling stayed with you for hours after! πŸ…
    Shout out to Penguin, Spring, Tango, mcca, anyone else I’ve missed, hope all is well with you β™₯️ And dear Queen, let us know how you’re doing. Keep up the great work all 🌴πŸ’ͺπŸ”†πŸ’•jade xxxx

Happy Birthday Week Jade!

After weeks of not measuring or standing on the scales I can confirm that I am maintaining with ease. Sadly the goal is for a smaller waist, so time to get a grip. The plan is to do x2 FD week for the next 6 weeks keeping a gimlet eye on NFD and just what I am scoffing then, which is I suspect a large part of the problem.

I have signed up for another 10K in 8 weeks time, so would love to have less of me to haul round which in theory should make me faster than whatever I achieve tomorrow.Small and short goals work best for me.

Chubs-I think that the US has a bigger hill to climb than the UK in the acceptance that IF might be a good thing because it fails to make money for those that rely on us getting fat, such as the food and diet industry. If we eat more fruit nd vegetables, cook from scratch and buy far less processed foods then the profits of those 2 multi million industries are going to plummet. I eat better quality food which is cheaper and makes me feel better, but I also need to eat less of it overall. I will benefit from that but the diet and food industry are not going to, so there has to be a degree of personal responsibility but also faith that the 5:2 will work in terms of weight loss and general improvement in health. I was very skeptical, but the truth of the matter is that we are all consuming far more than we need and our addiction to the sweet stuff drives us to seek more. In the UK, some of the food companies are starting to label their products with a guide on how often they should be eaten which is based on sugar/fat/calorie content. If we all made our own tomato sauce for pasta, which would have much less sugar in, then these companies would be in a lot of trouble.

I am off to the shops soon and will do my usual thing of quietly observing what folk have in their trolleys and then looking at not only what the owners of the trolleys look like but also whether they look ‘well’ or not. It is very illuminating.

Jade, happy birthday! Sounds like you have a terrific week. Enjoy it πŸ™‚
    Annette, good luck with the 10k – is it today or tomorrow?
    And a very big thank you to all your feedback on my binge-day question. I think Annette nailed it: this is all about changing habits and not about doing well part time only to go back to old habits once in a while. Sigh. Only when I read all your comments I realized that. I was 100 % in the same situation a few years back when I finally quit smoking. After having read this non-smoker forever book I realized that smoking actually is no pleasure at all but s*cks big time. It is nothing to be enjoyed but by all means avoided. It has to make “click” in your head. Then it is not a matter of will power any more to fight the urge to smoke, and it is not a problem at all to stay away from cigarettes. Because you UNDERSTAND that it is no pleasure but an awful addiction.

Wow, this is a pretty big revelation. Same with food, eh? The bad stuff might be delicious but it is actually something your body doesn’t need. In higher doses it is even harmful.

I have to let this sink in.

But I would still like to eat the occasional ice-cream, cake, chocolate. And some wine would be nice too. Staying away from cigarettes forever is easy in comparison, they are gone, you don’t have them around anymore. But food is all around you and one has to eat.

Anyhow, I am extremely grateful that you are sharing your experiences with me. Great stuff. So much to think about.

Well done, Annette, on the maintenance. Must be a very good feeling to be able to keep an equilibrium. And your plan sounds very sensible. Will aim to do exactly the same.

Lolly, so good to hear that you are making more progress on the walking. Isn’t it a fabulous feeling when you realize that you are getting better at something? And the best thing is that no matter what age or what size you are, you can still make progress and improve if you stick to it and do it again and again.

Hope you all have a nice weekend – and thanks again πŸ™‚

Karen

Happy Birthday Jade, loved the ‘longest birthday in history’ enjoy!

Have had an up and down week, but have not the usual cravings for anything chocolate, no idea really why, NFD have been better though so that could be the trick. Trigger foods I have loads, so am sometimes eating from quite a limited range, πŸ™ Bread is my main triumph (i.e getting rid of it) cos it is the innocent partner in crime on many a ruined NFD (toast, cheese on toast etc) have been without it for nearly a year. I don’t miss the UK stable, of a sandwich for lunch! cold, tasteless and totally non-filling;-) but there are some amazing breads which I just have as a treat now and then. Most of my FD’s are at work so I don’t have to bring any lunch, agreed Annette, sometimes I have a look in the staff room fridge, they are either very lucky people, who don’t have to worry about their weight or they haven’t read anything about the dangers of sugar. Karen, no I don’t have a treat day, but do have the odd day off, otherwise this would be a prison sentence, but I think we’re all different πŸ™‚

On the scales my weight is going up and down, but tape measure tells a better story! and clothes, I’m hopeful! the smallest part of my body is never on show! that’s the area between boobs and waist, torso? I lose weight from here a lot I am an ‘inverted triangle” broad-ish shoulders, going down in a point towards waist. I’m hoping the next 4 FD’s will begin to show on scales, with me I usually have a ‘whoosh’ moment..

Karen you asked about the want for career change πŸ™‚ I lived in Latin America for about 12 yrs and developed a total passion for Salsa, Rumba, tango etc..Started the classes 2 years ago (doing ongoing certificates/training alongside) so a ‘fledlging’ business. When I reached 50 had just got divorced and had to ‘re-invent’ myself to some extent. I’m hoping now that I could turn this into something more business-like and cut down on the day job!..

Lolly congrats on the 30 mins challenge, yes I also put on exercise gear in advance, or make sure it’s ready to go the night before.

Chubster, I also notice that when I’ve succumbed to ‘family bag of Minstrels” had a dodgy FD the next day, must be the drop in blood sugar. did anyone see this article?
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

hope that worked πŸ˜‰

Tango xx love to all Spring, QB, Jade, Annette, Lolly, Karen, anyone else?

Great to hear from you, Tango, and now I’ll have a new sense of your chosen name. There may even be a sound track to your posts from now on! 🎧

How interesting to have lived in Latin America for over a decade. And now, I take it, you’ve returned to the UK and with a different perspective on life, no doubt.

I can certainly empathize with the triumph of putting bread out of your life. I also love it unreasonably well and made a big chunk of my life about perfecting it. The right recipe. The proper mahogany crust that shatters under a knife. The right texture that is appropriately fine or delightfully open. The elastic dough that feels like a newborn’s bottom. The infinite variation in form and substance that tells us about function and culture. The intoxicating aroma of a loaf baking that fills the house. What else tickles every single sense in that way? But, sensual and tasty as it may be, it is also toxic to me and so, today, I may bake it but I Will. Not. Eat. It. Consequently, I can appreciate what you have accomplished in recognizing it’s downside and rejecting it. Well done!!!

Stop it, Chupster! Not fair πŸ˜‰

(How do you manage to bake it and then mit eat it???)

Tango, sounds like you made some right decisions in your life. Great to make a living with work that one really enjoys. So good luck to you that you can cut down more and more on your old job.

Sorry for misspelling your name, Chubster!

YAY, annette! *Another* 10K before you’ve even done the first one! You are intrepid and we’re proud of you. …even if you *are* spying on our guilty pleasures and failures of will as we troll the grocery aisles unaware. 😏

And, say, may I ask something? The other day you said you cut down on your tea consumption even after you’d managed to eliminate the sugar you put in it. What was the reason you did that? I ask because I drink a quart-sized pot of tea every day and once Summer starts I’ll increase that by probably another quart of ice tea and fermented kombucha. I know that’s a lot of caffein but I’ve never been sensitive to it. I just LIKE tea. But is it a mistake to be drinking so much?

I stopped smoking almost half a century ago, Karen. You’re so right about how much easier that is. There may have been clinical addiction and it may have taken me multiple efforts back then but, as you say, once given up it’s over while eating is something necessary and unavoidable that we have to learn to modify and modulate. So much harder!

Karen, I don’t eat bread (and grains) because when I do I can’t control it. That’s a pleasure I have had to give up and I’m happy I did. It’s become an empowering accomplishment as you will well understand.

*Baking* is a completely different thing. It’s not addictive. It’s a creative, constructive act. I can have the *pleasure* of baking — still so many tactile and sensory delights — and then multiply that by giving it away or providing it for my family. What’s more, I still have the sense memory of bread. I can enjoy that without the downside and baking keeps that alive for me too.

PS I may be finished with the name “Chubster” anyway. Not the way I want to continue to identify. So don’t be the least concerned about misspelling it. (I doubt I would even have noticed if you hadn’t mentioned it). I will be thinking of a new name that feels better as I get less chubby.

Happy Birthday, Jade!

Really interesting discussion on binging, thank you to everyone. It helps to clarify my own position when I see things I either agree or disagree with, so all input is valuable.

My admittedly short experience with IF and sugar avoidance/low carb has given me something I never expected to have — weeks of not wanting to binge. The minute I let the sugar go it all began to fall into place. (The other half of the equation was wheat but i had already been forced by health to give that up 6 years ago.)

Every other attempt to lose weight has left me white-knuckling it, craving my trigger foods, knowing that it was just a matter of time before I gave in and binged for a month on everything in sight. Along with that came self-loathing and the inevitable regaining plus some.

This is the only plan which I can absolutely picture staying with for the rest of my life. DIETS DO NOT WORK FOR ME!!! This is not a diet — it’s the way I’m living. And I can adjust it as I need to. The relief is beyond words. I have wonderful food. I eat my fill and then — I STOP. Only another binger can appreciated what that means.

I always looked at people who left food on their plates as lunatics. “I’ve had enough.” What’s your point? Since when was that a reason for stopping? There was never enough food for me, and hunger had nothing to do with it.

I have a lot of weight I’d like to be without. But for the first time in my life I can see not only losing it but keeping it off. I’ve had bits of this for years but wasn’t able to put the whole picture together until now. Finally, it makes sense.

And so do all of you.

Hi everyone.
    I too am a binge eater. Started while I was going through a bad time in my life. I’ve tried lots of diets but this is the first one I’ve found relatively easy. I’m not saying its always easy because its not. That little voice in your head that’s saying go on eat something. I end up arguing in my mind. Sometimes I give in and feel awful about it but the following day I just start again. So a few months on I’ve lost 30 lbs and I’m happy with that but have a long way to go. Now when I get the urge, I just tell myself I can have it tomorrow. When tomorrow comes its passed and I eat normally. Its working for me and I’ve been going through this lots of years. So all you binge eaters stay strong, it gets easier and when the weight comes off its such a nice feeling.

Ah, the island is full of wisdom today! Lolly, know exactly what you mean, it’s a relief to have the right approach to eating, finally. And lol “what’s your point” indeed πŸ˜‚ You nailed that.
    Chubs I shall call you Slim, or maybe Perseus? You are a strong one, baking bread and appreciating all the things about it that don’t involve eating it. You made it sound rather therapeutic πŸŒ… I, on the other hand, just went to the local bakery and bought a loaf of french bread. It’s all about triggers, and I don’t think that is one for me. I don’t care much for sandwiches either by the way! But kudos to everyone who has kicked it out of their lives completely.
    Tango thanks for the link – fascinating, almost depressing, article. The degree to which those opposing sugar were shunned is disgraceful – reminds me of politics and how opinions are dismissed with much disdain simply because the other person disagrees. it makes you not want to trust anyone about anything! 😑 But I have seen the proof myself on sugar, in fact, even though I got the bread, I wanted the HB egg in the fridge instead. Go me. And yes, I work in “whooshes” too – stay pretty steady but if I keep at it, the loss comes. Likewise, the gain is not as quick easy.
    Karen I think it was you asked about the binge day? I need to clarify – there are days I just relax and do whatever I like. I have been 5:2ing long enough now though that I’m much more in tune with how I like to feel, and stuffed and over-sugared isn’t how. Though I was certainly over-sugared just a few days ago! The nice thing is that it’s OK. It’s just one night. I feel ok the next day and move on. I’ll do it again, I’m sure, but again it’ll be OK. For a time I did plan “days of wild abandon” but I’m just stubborn enough that it made me crazy thinking I had to wait for whatever wicked food I had in mind. So I don’t plan them, I just sense when I am in one and let myself relax. The great thing about 5:2 combined with sugar avoidance is that it just doesn’t happen very often. And oh yes, maintenance IS work, but really just the work of staying aware. And staying healthy is worth it. I wish it were so easy I didn’t have to think about it! But I suspect most people either do or they gradually gain weight – I mean, it’s EXPECTED (in an approving way) that we will all gain ~5 lbs a year or more as we age. Um, no thanks to that.
    Annette, wow another 10k? I love the excitement of races but most are too far away, so I just stick with running in the state park near us. Very pretty by the river, and the dogs are usually enough encouragement to get me out there β™₯️🐢 Not today so far…still feeling fuzzy from last night’s cocktail and wine, I am such a cheap date.
    Well, now I have gone and barked at hubs for refusing the fritter I got him at the bakery. I am a total fraud!!! I have to go back now and apologize – ugh, Aries (Rams) hate to apologize….πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰πŸ”†πŸŒ΄xxxx
    ps Hi caspersmum! Just saw your post – welcome and congrats on the transformation, well done!

caspersmum, so nice to see you here! You’ll like it. Good people. A lot of experience to draw on. JadeLark, annette and come spring have been at this for ages and already had great success! And I know you’ll enjoy the occasional yuks!

Boy! I enjoyed today!

I blew off my workout yesterday (oops! I’m not sure I was going to tell on myself but I just wan’t into it yesterday ☺️) so I started today out with an hour cross country program. This program really kicks my butt! But every time I go I notice that my recovery between the tough intervals comes faster and gets better. That’s really gratifying. And I’ve got this interesting audiobook to keep me engaged instead of focusing on the work.

I bought an audiobook on a fluke because I heard an NPR story about the author on the drive up to Vancouver. It was interesting enough that I ordered the book for the remainder of the drive. …only the book I ordered wasn’t the one I was expecting. (BTW, how cool is it that you can hear such a thing, pull over at a rest stop and have it downloaded and playing on the car audio system in 10 minutes!?) So this book turns out to be a sort of adult Eastern European fairy tale that I really ended up enjoying. But now, I’ve got the book by the same author that I originally wanted to get which is a fantasy about the Napoleonic Wars fought by an air corp that fly around and attack one another with dragons. ….yes, I am a moderately intelligent, 69yo adult and I actually *chose* to read about a flying squadron of dragons. 😝 And I’m loving it and have already ordered the next book in the series. The author has written 6 or 8 of ’em so that should keep me sweating and loving it for a couple months at least.

But the thing is it’s well written and quite engrossing and today when I was sweating my *ss (and my forehead) off I think it disguised the fact that I was at the point of tears when one of the dragons dies.

Then, after the gym, my husband was home all day and relaxed for the first time in who-knows-how-long. So that was great.

Also a joy, I had a really clean day food-wise ending in a meal at an Indian restaurant we’d never been to before. Can I just say YUM! And we brought back an enormous bag of leftovers to continue to enjoy through the week.

Hooray for days like today!

Hi La Chubster.
    I’m also a woman of a certain age who also enjoys Fantasy, sci-fi and anything drangony, if that’s a word.
    I admire your exercise regime. I have a damaged knee cap and a Rotator cuff injury so exercise is difficult until its resolved. Seeing physio tomorrow and I hope it helps as I’ve lost my muscle mass in my thigh and arm. Fingers crossed for an improvement soon.

I completed the 10K and now I am in a small heap! There were 15 who finished after me and some of them were much much younger. I did my best sprint finish ever. It was tough and now I have 8 weeks to improve the amount of running and the speed.

Back to FD this week with a close eye on NFD. I should shrink over the weeks with my goal of a smaller waist.

I have been buying clothes in charity shops that are ‘snug’ on the waist with a view that they will be fine over the coming weeks.For me these kind of goals work best.

I think that getting up for work tomorrow and then walking to work, is going to be very hard. But then anything worth doing is. Isn’t it?

Way to go, annette!!! “Not last” never looked so good! I am beyond impressed. And I love the clothes from a charity shop idea. Bonus is that you’ll be out of them so soon that you can donate them right back!

annette! I KNEW you would have a good showing! After all, completing a 10K at all is fantastic and so hooray for those younger slower finishers too!

I can imagine how exhausted you feel but as soon as you get your first burst of energy back it will all be used up being proud of yourself and exhilarated by your success. What a feeling!!!

Are you referring to the 8 weeks between this 10K and the next one you’ve committed to?

And as for that long hard climb tomorrow with sore muscles, at least when you get to the top you’ll be able to tell EVERYONE about your first official 10K. They’ll all be proud of you too I wouldn’t doubt!!! And if you start showing up at the hospital and future 10Ks in the pink shorts I think that would be SUPER!

What a coincidence, caspersmum. I broke my kneecap about 6 years ago and took out just about all the cartilage and a bursa in the process. And the year before that I snapped the tendon in my rotator cuff and had to have that surgically reattached. Between the two that pretty much put an end to my learning golf. (Although if you push me I’ll confess I *never* was enthusiastic about it. It was just something my husband thought we could do together on vacations — like he ever takes one… But all the body torquing just wasn’t fun after those 2 maladies.)

It sounds like we could have the same body of a certain age. 😏

I take lubricant shots for my knee and they can be VERY effective. I call it Silly Putty. I don’t know what the proper name for the class of injection is but the original stuff was (I think) collagen from ground up chicken beaks. Holy moley! but it really *helps*. I’m between them just now and, being away from the US and my medical system and attendant medical insurance, I’m having to do without. … in a 2-storey house with the laundry machines downstairs. Nevertheless, I find that I can do a recumbent bike very well as my weight is not on my knee when I’m flexing it. I suspect they laugh at the gym when they see me take the elevator upstairs to sweat by butt off and then take it downstairs again but that’s how it is.

And, of course, I think the VERY BEST thing we can do is take weight off our poor knees in our day to day activities by losing weight. I had heels on last night and I already noticed how much less my poor chimp toes hurt being forced down against the toe of my shoe. I can’t even imagine what it feels like to have a proper BMI body but I have a feeling there are lots of aches and pains that may go away and I Can’t. Wait!!!

Thank you! I completed it in 1.16, which is slower than my PB of 1.12 which was when I was much fitter..so overall I am very very pleased. I need to walk less and run more at a consistent pace. Yes, it is 8 weeks until the next one which should keep me focused on training and shrinking. I remember the constant pain of climbing stairs when I was 3 stone heavier, my poor knees were always aching.I have gone down 3 bra sizes too which makes a huge difference when running!

I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops as a result of losing weight.As my weight decreased and my shape changed I found it made much more sense to see what I could find that fitted me and that I liked for a fraction of the shop prices. I have a huge pile of things to re-gift that I have loved and felt good in…but sadly are too big now. I hope someone else will have as much pleasure with them as I have. The great thing is that I can get good quality clothes that no one else is wearing for a small outlay. My walk home from work just happens to be on a road with 7 charity shops to a 5 minute peep is easy to do. There have been weeks when there has been nothing at all though, so you have to keep the faith and keep looking.

Have a lovely week.

FANTASTIC Annette, well done you πŸ†πŸ†πŸ† – not last AND you had gas in the tank to kick it at the end. So pleased for you and proud β™₯️β™₯️ Makes the next one coming up look less formidable, too. I flunked my 30-min challenge again yesterday, but was feeling punky so just watch this space, I will be back on my game sooooooon. xxxxx

Hey Islanders! I have to explain my absence. I got carried off the island by this ENORMOUS wave. Remember when Augustus Gloop fell in the chocolate river? Well it was a stray wave from the chocolate river and it just knocked me right off my feet.

There I was, floating in all the chocolatey loveliness and who did I bump into?! Jade’s bad boy bachelor #3, who we’ll just call Suge. He was wearing a disguise but I think we all know who he is. What can I say? We hung out. A lot. All I can say is yes, I am now walking funny (because my trousers no longer fit).

Anyhow I haven’t had a chance to read everyone’s posts but I am planning to do so and will post again but I just wanted to say hello and lovely to see all the regulars here – big hello to Jade, Spring, Annette, Queen, Chubs, and GOLLY MY GOLLY I SAW A PENGUIN – and all the more recent posters all sharing their trials, tribulations and wisdoms. Sending big love out to you all.

As usual after a sojourn to the mainland I am fiercely avoiding the scales and am due to do a weigh-in tomorrow (big intake of breath) so wish me luck

xx

BIG welcome back hugs to you, ((mcca)). We’ve all done it and we’re all probably going to do it from time to time in the future. The important thing is you’re back and we’re here for you!!! Chocolate can’t say that.

Damn chocolate anyway for being so good despite how bad it is. 😑 Who wants to join me in pushing legislation that it can only be molded in the shape of enormous, sad, ugly women from this day forward?

Thanks Jade. I love the cups..I will never get a real one. Never mind Jade, it is a new week tomorrow…

mcca-never mind. We have all been there, but it is almost a new week. Nothing that can’t be undone and the scales/measurements may not be as bad as you expect. If they are..we are all here willing you on. I think that it is perfectly normal to have these blips and as time goes buy they will diminish.I speak from experience!

Brilliant! Chubs..or should that be ‘slim?’ That has made me laugh…and laugh, but that is going to be a lot of chocolate..

I am toying with the idea of ADF this week..

Mcca we’ve all done it and some of us (ahem) are still doing it BUT as the wise ones here said, it’s a temporary blip! And as long as we keep coming back, it’s temporary. Chubs/Slim, I like your idea of chocolate molds. Maybe inject all choc with the smell of overlooked broccoli while they’re at it. Wouldn’t be nearly as fun to hang around with 🌴🌴

Annette I’ll never get a cup either, just the trinket for finishing, but really that’s what I’m there to do. Occasionally I’ll kick it at the end, too, to keep some cheeky sob from overtaking me in the last seconds 😑 And I think I won my age group once, when there were only 3 others that old out there (and I think it rained or something 😏). What we’re doing is more important, just giving a $*** about our health in the face of soooo much misinformation and even outright encouragement that it’s ok to be fat after a certain age. Or any age. Seriously it takes a certain amount of willpower just to disagree and buck the trend. And this weekend, I’m just here to remind myself that I’ll get back on track. Soon. Today didn’t work, woke up still not feeling great. Maybe tomorrow – save a seat for me on the fast train πŸš„πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ jade xx
    ps A, holy smokes ADF really? Kick ass.

Just a flying visit really but I wanted to say HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY dear Jade (possibly currently in a food-coma?) and CONGRATULATIONS Annette on your amazing effort in the 10K. I’m in awe of anyone who can run after 50, so take a few more bows! Good work to all of you really, cause reading through this you’re all doing good stuff in so many ways.

Welcome back mcca and nuff said about rouge waves of chocolatey loveliness that appear to offer happiness but instead leave one dumped in the surf with another mouthful of sand… The Island is full of us ‘slow-learners’ but I do think we’ll ALL get there eventually πŸ™‚

Welcome caspersmum and can I assume from the spelling that you’re either down this way or in the UK? Would be great to have someone else in the same (time) zone so to speak. Sounds like you’ve found a way that’s working for you, so all the best.

I’m in a weird state of agitation at the moment that’s making food-life tricky but I can say that I’ve managed to do my 30 minutes of moderate exercise everyday since I started my 90-day challenge. The puppies are sleeping better, the garden is looking much improved so I’m succeeding in one important area of life and I’ll just have to take that as a plus and not beat myself up about the eating. I won’t go into details, but it did involve a 250gm pack of butter that was almost consumed in 5 days until I threw it out in a fit of self-disgust. It’s not even human the amount of butter I can consume if I’m in a buttery kind of mood and needless to say the scale damage was considerable. God knows what my liver looks like right now but I’m fasting today so that will hopefully help – how I wish I could get off this carousel of craziness.

Well, so much for a flying visit. Instead, I’ve managed to have a self-centred rant/whinge and not really engage in what you’re all up to so sorry for that. I will promise to read and respond better in days to come and meanwhile thanks SO much for being here. Love Spring xxx

Oh I am laughing so much at the vision of chocolate shaped as fat women, crying. I’ll never look at a chocolate Easter Bunny the same way.

Ok so the weigh in was bad. Really bad. Worse than I was expecting. I haven’t been this weight for a year. And I was scared about the weigh in so it was AFTER three fast days (I have been doing ADF for the past week) so I weighed in this morning after the 3rd day of 6 ADF days.

But I guess I needed the wake up call… I knew I was looking fat I just had no idea how fat.

Thanks for all of your kind words and it’s good to be back on the island. Just spitting out this mouthful of sand and I am back to a daily weigh in and ADF.

xx

Hi to all

Sorry for not reading all posts, so many full of wisdom πŸ™‚ and fun

Spring totally get “buttergate” was also on the butter yesterday, which I’d supposedly banned πŸ™ wasn’t a great day!
    Slim love the chocolate ugly lady, will try to put that in my mind..
    Lolly totes agree with with people leaving stuff on their plate, why? love your comment ‘what’s your point’ that got me laughing πŸ™‚
    Jade, where do you get your icons from? really cool
    Annette, great result! well done for the 10K, what an accomplishment! you must be proud! Yesterday I was a volunteer at the marathon where I live, I was on T-shirt duty, amazing atmosphere! I will start running again soon, but have to wait for my physio on knee.

Have had a weird couple of days, as got an interview for a job overseas, which would have meant a sizable income (enough to rid me of money worries) but in the end have decided to stay put, and continue with my career change goals, hope I don’t regret it πŸ˜‰ out of the 2 I chose the less predictable route, which in the end got me running willy nilly in search of wine, bread etc, luckily not a mega binge, more a big blip, Back on track today.

Hi mcca, and welcome capersmum!
    hi Karen and anyone else I’ve missed..xx
    Tango

Hi all, and welcome caspersmum. Annette, congrats on a great achievement. You must feel full of energy and good spirits now after this run. No wonder you are going for the ADF. Please, would be so interesting to hear how that goes. Seems to be rather tough, no?
    Had to recalculate my TDEE as it was too high – according to my scales πŸ™
    Will go for a real low activity one now and then add whatever exercise I am doing. This way it should be more accurate. Someone gave me a Fitbit a while ago, have been using this for a few weeks now. It is good in tracking all exercises and is monitoring the heartbeat, so it figures out how many calories you have burned. And since I am pretty new to all this calorie counting, I find it rather useful.
    mcca, very nice to meet you. And Chumbster, in case you want to keep the LA in your name, I find LA Lean sounds pretty cool πŸ™‚ The lean machine. But I am not a native speaker, so maybe it sounds awful to you guys.
    Sitting here with my fruit-bowl and jogurth – FD on a Monday, a first for me. But working from home today, so this should be ok. And we had friends over last night, went to a nice restaurant, didn’t want to sit on the sidelines for this.
    Have a good start into the new week!
    Karen

Hey dear Spring – always good to see you, and sorry about the craziness but BIG pats on the back for doing the exercise anyway. Some days, logging on here is the ONLY thing I do for my health, but at least I’ve done something. And yesterday despite feeling icky with a bread-only antidote, I took the dogs on a walk around town. So…right? Doing something = not giving up. Some days you do more than others.

I wouldn’t get on the scales for love nor money today. Mcca I’m sorry you got such a nasty slap from yours BUT at least you are back on track, spitting sand out of your mouth πŸ˜…πŸ˜‘! I’m going to do the same, give it a good go this week and then see. I could tell the jogging shorts were a bit snug yesterday (ha, and they’re basically OSFA elastic). But you know, it’s like kids. What’re you gonna do when they’re difficult, stuff them back in? Probably not the best analogy, stuffing πŸ˜‚

Annette go easy on yourself if that 4:3 turns into 5:2. Post race appetite can be tricky and girl you burn a lot of calories before you even get to work! And oops, Karen you mentioned the old bugaboo TDEE! Mine is quite a BIT lower than almost any of my days last week. I may have to check in with MFFP although it is soo so tedious. Well, right, so are kids sometimes. Ok, got it. And I like the name LA Slim for our Chubster, maker of ugly chocolate πŸ˜†, baker of breads she doesn’t eat, and regular dispenser of witticisms.πŸ’ͺ

Tango, good for you for picking a job not based just on money. Yes it’d be nice to have no money worries, but at what cost otherwise. Having lived this long, I know that a bad one is never worth the money. Have never uprooted to go overseas, but just the thought would send me to the wine bottle 🍷🍷 Glad you’re back on track. Oh, and the emojis are on my iPad. It’s my fun toy 😍

Rainy day here, and speaking of fun, I’d better get ready for work and for nature to water my garden and get those seeds going! Fresh herbs and veggies soon I hope – πŸ…πŸ†πŸ πŸŒΆHave a great day islanders 🌴🌴xxx

Tango, I totally forgot to tell you: wow! You are not pursuing a career opportunity with lots of money involved because you rather continue on your alternative route – that is absolutely awesome and I admire you for it. Must have been a tough decision, though. Very very impressive!

If it’s worth considering, mica, I don’t weight myself on a regular basis. Three times since Christmas — and 2 of those were at the doctor’s office where it wasn’t my choice. I think it skips a lot of frustration. I know if I’m doing the right stuff I’ll lose weight. And I know when I don’t there’s a consequence. And I can see the difference in my clothes. So I choose to eliminate the obsession about a number (I *would* obsess) and just move forward.

Tango, I don’t know where homebase is and what your field is and I guess I completely missed something about a change in careers. I would just say that my husband’s career gives him the opportunity to live in other countries for extended periods. (Me? I’m just the carbuncle on his patoot. …but I *do* get to go along.)

I think the opportunity to *live* in other cultures is a particularly privileged way to come to know the world and get perspective on whatever “home” is. But, if you’ve already lived in Latin America for a decade you know all about that. And, I’m sure you know what’s best in your circumstances and for your long-term goals.

My daughter is just making a third career change at 38. She will probably never again make the bucks she did in career #1 but she’s happier and she’s made a family that requires more of her than she would have been able to give back at #1. On the other hand, she and her family live in our pool house while they’re getting it all together. It’s tiny but it’s giving them this opportunity for reinvention. …and we get to see our grandson grow up on a daily intimate basis. …when we’re in the same country.

Karen, may I speak for everyone when I say if you are not a native English speaker/writer NO ONE would have known!!! I deeply admire the ability to speak multiple languages. It eludes me *completely* but, like living in another country, it causes such a fundamental shift in thinking and viewing the world that I’ve kept trying (lamely) to learn French since high school.

I’ll keep thinking about that name but LA Lean is perfectly logical, appropriate and has a certain alliteration that speaks to *mastery* of English. I may simply go to a screen name that I use on other forums — Bake @ 350 (that’s Farenheit, of course) — since baking is such a defining hobby. …and I’m creating myself in this oven of IF.

How about LA Loafer? πŸ˜€

I’m still being good about my daily walk promise but finding it hard to go longer than 20 minutes at one time. This is due to a past back/hip injury, so I’m just going to stay with 2×15 minutes for the moment. I really do feel better for it, and putting my walking gear on first thing in the morning was a great suggestion.

Wonderful to see the many ways we are moving. Go us!

Thank you all for your congratulations. Jade you are right, I am hungry. The ADF plan was all those endorphins whizzing about rather than common sense. No FD today. I will see how I feel tomorrow.

I am still laughing at the enormous, sad, chocolate women. Genius!

So many people here these days! So many interesting perspectives! Loving it all but I lose track of things. Who said they were considering ADF? Does that mean 7 FDs in 2 weeks! That’s commitment!!!

I may have to do that sooner than later but I think this week I will just try to stick in an extra FD. I’ll do Mon & Tues as water fasts and then see if I can also do Fri. If I can’t manage a water fast I’ll at least skip brekkies and lunch. I hope. But, meanwhile, I’m very happy I switched my FDs away from the weekend. My husband and I finally managed to try a new Indian restaurant in the area. May I just say YUM!!! Then yesterday we had fish and chips in the village and I atoned for that by walking home about half a mile straight uphill. Loved it all — the deep fried oysters AND the hill!

I am amazing myself at how pleased I am to be active. I may not be crazy about it when I’m sweating in the gym or puffing up a hill but as soon as it’s done I am actually experiencing satisfactions that I NEVER have before ! Who IS this woman who has taken over my body???? Bought myself some new gym clothes today. If I can lose another 15 pounds I’m buying myself some really indulgent sneakers. They’re knitted high top *pull-ons*. http://store.nike.com/ca/en_gb/pd/lunarepic-flyknit-running-shoe/pid-10871576/pgid-11107298

Those are awesome shoes!! And an awesome price tag to match 😈 but what a terrific reward for a job well done, Chubs! Sorry, I love the name chubs whatever your shape. LA Loafer’s pretty cool too though πŸ‘ Lolly big kudos to you for the exercises. There’s no rule that says 15+15isn’t 30, so you just keep slamming it and it will pay off.
    On the subject of jobs, I traded a big law firm job long ago to work with a govt agency, then switched to teaching. I enjoyed the firm and liked the folks I worked with, but I wasn’t really helping the kinds of people I knew needed legal help for life to be fair(er). I know people who are still at that firm whose ONLY source of joy is the money they make. And they do have a lot of fun with it. But I’d hate to look back on my life and think I did it all for the money. Ok, sermon over πŸ™πŸ€
    Yesterday’s FD ended a bit early, right when OH suggested going out with friends we hadn’t seen in a while. Ha! So we’ll have to put that one in the FUFD column and try again today! At least I’m getting back in the groove until 6 pm though. Hello hunger πŸ‘‹ Not afraid of you πŸ‘Š
    Annette, hope I didn’t put the hex on your AFD idea! You are one determined powerhouse of a gal, but surely holding the tdee line with 2x FDs will get the results you want. I’m hoping today is the start of some newfound discipline here – I have been a wild child lately. But OH is still grieving, and it makes him happy, and I’m not saying I did it JUST for him. But to everything there is a season and a time, as it goes….. I hope today brings joy to every one of you in some fashion or another β™₯️🌴 xx

ADF? Ah that was me chubs, mentioned in post-run euphoria…and then dismissed as a really bad idea.Jade was right, I was very hungry and I would have set myself up to fail. No, Jade you didn’t put a hex on it, you simply pointed out that it wasn’t a great idea after a 10k and you were right. Thank you.
    I need to get those NFD no higher than the TDEE and actually do some FD. Today I did a FD and it has been fine so far. I usually have no breakfast on a FD and then salad for lunch, but I am trying eating a hot meal of something that I like at work and then healthy nibbles in the evening…and so far it is going well. I know that it might be higher than 500 calories, but that is fine with me as it is a lot less than what I was eating.
    Great shoes Chubs. I have a number of inexpensive handbags that have been my rewards.

Interesting thoughts on jobs. I studied law as a mature student(the experience of divorce sparked that interest!) and had planned to find a job in that area to earn more money and have a better quality life. I spent some time on voluntary work experience and realized that I didn’t want to live in that sort of pressure and work those hours for the money.I simply couldn’t have worked in that environment and brought up my boys on my own..I would have crashed and burned, bringing them with me. I have stayed working as an admin assistant at a school which isn’t paid well, but is a lovely environment with pleasant people and I work term time only. I started a masters in law and did one module(International Law)which I loved but then my sons’ best friend drowned in the river and he needed me to be there. Two years down the line I am looking at the compulsory courses that make up the course and trying to decide whether to do another one in the autumn, although completing it is unlikely to get me a job. There is the cost to consider and whether I accept that it will be purely for personal development or whether I save up for a holiday instead.

Put on my exercise gear this morning and a top I bought just a month ago no longer stretches over my belly. There’s actual drape now! I’m looking forward to taking my measurements on Friday.
    And I guess that means I won’t be willing to let my “My Tracker” go — it tells a story — so LA Chubster I will remain. …in name at least. 😏

We’re taking a weekend off and going back to LA early next month. Agenda for the trip: squeeze the life out of my adorable 5yo grandson, get a haircut and buy new bras. Sadly, my girls will still need the double Ds but I will be getting a smaller size around my ribs. Yay!

Where are you all? I read other threads too but nobody makes me laugh like you guys and I don’t miss them like I miss you. 😍 😍 😍 Hope you’re all doing well and much too entertained in your real lives to bother with forums. 😏

Happy 4/20!!! That’s it! You’re all out 420ing. πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

PS I went out yesterday and tried on those sneaks. (One of my keep-busy-and-distracted activities for my second FD) Can I just say OMG!!!! They are soooo comfortable. It’s like what-if-you-could-just-run-in-socks-with-a-protective-sole. There is *nothing* to bind or pinch or rub. Supposedly you can even wear them without socks and they come with 2 innersoles for adapting to whether or not you choose to wear socks.

I was sorry to find out they have conventional shoestrings that need to be tied. They don’t show that in the photo illustrations and even at the store the ends were neatly tucked back into the shoe to look like they wouldn’t need tying. One of the attractions for me was no shoestrings to come untied and get tangled ’cause, other than that, they’re pull-on and go. I may investigate substituting a length of elastic tape for the shoestrings ’cause they’re really not doing anything but resembling a conventional sneak. The fit comes from the elasticity of the knit.

I liked the cool aqua and there’s also a silver that’s kinda neutral to not fight other colors so much.

I’m still wondering how grubby they’ll get — ’cause they are simply a lightweight open knit. The ladies at the Nike store weren’t sure about tossing them in the washing machine… But I am extra super jazzed about getting to 150 now. That’s 15 pounds to go but I can’t wait!

I can just see those shoes flashing down the street at the speed of light. They ought to have wings, not strings! No fair drooling on the product before you buy, LA. πŸ˜€

I wash all my running shoes quite frequently. They need to suffer from dirt, rain and my sweat, so I figure the occasional foam bath will not hurt them πŸ™‚ Silver sounds great!

My life is all around work and my husband & the kids. I am enjoying your company immensely πŸ™‚ Am living in Germany.

All best,
    Karen

Viewing 50 posts - 2,101 through 2,150 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.