I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,901 through 1,950 (of 3,046 total)

• It is so awesome that you walk 15 miles, annette. I think you should “bank” them and take an imaginary trip to someplace wonderful. Sweden? The Baltic? Crete?

I have been sticking with my plan to do a double assault on the driveway each time before I get in my car. I do a few others when I have some time on my hands. I’ve averaged 20 floors in the last 7 days.

It’s still a daunting task. But that’s to be expected when rugs were more active than I’ve been for the last 3 years or so. I have to stop and catch my breath before I complete the second climb and my thigh muscles and my butt are screaming but I’ve noticed that my recovery time between and after is much faster. And the other day when I grabbed my ribs to catch my breath it definitely felt different. Less “meaty” though I don’t think that’s something that will show up yet in my wasist measurement (I’m sure I’ve *got* one in there somewhere…).

Lots of rain up here. I’m taking advantage by planting hosta roots and Spring bulbs that have already been rooted out. Then the rain, kindly, waters them in for me! It lifts my spirits to be able to plant all the things I love that won’t grow in LA. πŸ˜ƒ

Welcome to everyone stopping by! Looking forward to getting to know you and be inspired by your progress.

If I am banking those miles then I want sunshine all day and pleasant t shirt weather temperature. I shall go to Sicily, always wanted to go.

I suppose that I average 9 miles on a Saturday, not much on a Sunday and probably 4.5 Mon-Fri. If I had a car then I would drive most places. Well done Chubs on the double assault of the driveway. It will get easier and you will shrink as the weeks tick by. I bet you are smaller if you can find a tape measure.

I had very sore thighs and abs on Monday after my first run on Sunday. On Monday I ran better than Sunday and my legs were less sore and then on Tuesday the run itself was easier and my legs were less sore today. I know that next week will be easier as well.

After so much rain, I suspect my garden will be wet for months. More rain all day tomorrow….

I’ve got a problem. I’ve made great progress with my episodes of hill climbing but today my knee is screaming. I broke a knee cap several years ago and there isn’t any cartilage left in there. Now I can feel that it’s inflamed.

I ordinarily get injections of a lubricant to mitigate the friction. The series takes 4-6 weeks and I didn’t have time for that when we got the word that we had to relocate. And, up here in a non-US medical system, the injections are too complicated and expensive as my US insurance wouldn’t reimburse for them.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to stop and lose the progress I’ve made but this house is 2 stories and I’ll need to be able to climb the stairs periodically to do my laundry. And we’re going to be here for 4 months. I’m going to have to pace myself before it just becomes too painful to walk.

Anyone got any ideas for an effective exercise that doesn’t involve using my knee?

I’m going to go to the gym and try a stationary bike today and see if that is more gentle on my joint but I’m afraid to get any results I’ll have to do an hour or more and going several times a day is just ridiculously impractical.

But for the next couple days I’m putting up the white flag and letting it heal.

Maybe try swimming or water aerobics? Non weight bearing exercise to take the stress off your knee

If you keep putting pressure on your knee you will make it worse and even harder to exercise, I know its frustrating but you need to look after major joints

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, there’s no pool here. Most Canadian rec centers have them but ours is very small and only has a weight room. Whew! Saved from the humiliation of putting on a bathing suit in public!!!!! (I’m still quite obese.)

When we get back to LA in June I will be able to use my pool. But, for now, up here, I’m still looking for an alternative.

I think that it would be best to avoid any weight bearing exercise until it is better. You have to walk, so just do that for what you need to do and recalculate your TDEE. Why not have a look on the internet for armchair exercises?

Try putting either hot water bottle or a bag of peas on your knee to reduce the swelling. You could alternate them and see what works best.

Hey islanders, I’m coming up for air after a few days with family – hubs’s mom died this past weekend so it has been a sad time around here, but she lived a long, wonderful life so of course lots of hugs and wonderful memories have been shared. But now we are all exhausted from the frenetic activity. Funny how all that works as a distraction, but I think all were grateful for that.

I haven’t thought much about 5:2 this week of course, though I appreciated its benefits when I could pull anything out of the closet without worrying if it would fit. But I realized what an obsessive nut I am, and that has just got to stop. When I am not obsessing, 5:2 works just fine. I really do think it is as simple as that, until food becomes one of the main sources of one’s entertainment which of course is an advertiser’s dream so I am sending a big ol’ πŸ–•to the food industry today. Take your sugar and whatever else you’ve come up with to make people overeat, and just stuff it you know where. 😑

Spring, it’s always good to see you and hear a good rant, even if it’s at yourself πŸ˜‰ but don’t kick yourself too hard. We are islanders for a reason. Some days were not meant to be FDs. The good old college try was made for people like us πŸ’ͺ just too stubborn to quit.

Chubs, I’m so sorry to hear about your knee. Could you not take a drive down across the border to get treatment? There are good armchair exercise and weight lifting, also good old sit-ups and those kinds of calisthenics (sp), but I can tell you enjoy the walking and climbing. I hear you re the swimsuit! πŸ˜†

Annette, despite the occasional biscuit, I am so impressed that you sold your car to work out your finances. Now there is an indomitable spirit, rather like my MIL, I know she’d have done the same thing. And with the nice weather arriving, all that walking and addl training for the race with your son is going to have you in fine shape. You might be running in those pink shorts soon. πŸ’•

Big hugs to everyone on the island, and welcome to newcomers, please hang out and be crazy with all of us. It’s better to laugh than cry! Now off to one more family gathering, catch up again soon. jade xx

Dear Jade- So very sorry for your family’s pain. I know it’s worse for the long happy life together but I hope it begins to fade and the memories will become happy again. They’ll be with you forever!

(((HUGS))) to all who are hurting this week.

So sorry to hear your sad news Jade. It is always a shock when someone dies, however old they are. Sending hugs.

I have looked at my progress since starting the 5:2 and was shocked to discover that I lost the most weight and inches in the first 8 months and since then I have put some on and then lost in but never really making more progress. I suspect that I need to lose another 14 lb to be a good weight for my height.

I am learning about apps and to lose another 14 lb, according to My Fitness Pall, I should be consuming no more than 12,000 calories, which is 400 calories less than I thought! I figure that I can either have breakfast and lunch OR lunch and dinner. I am just working out what the home made meusli comes in at which will help me decide.

The plan is to fuel the body with good food for the next 5 weeks (until the 10k RUN) and to lose weight at a steady rate. So I am going to try the next week at that
    figure and see what happens and how i cope.

I think that this is going to be tough, but not impossible. My plan is to log everything for the next week and then see what works and what doesn’t.

Thanks girls, yes my daughter put it well, we tend to think they’ll stick around forever, the older they get. My MIL already had white hair when I first met her decades ago, so she was rather timeless to me. I’m being super sweet to hubs as I know grief takes a few stages – we’re now in kind of a lull after all the family has spread out again. Good to have fluffy puppies at the ready to pitch in with some TLC.

It’s weird how the success of 5:2 does taper off, Annette. I mean, sure there is an explanation with TDEE, but strange how it all just worked without as much effort up to a certain point. I have fallen back into the flames of sugar hell, I’m afraid. I don’t like the hold it has over me so I guess it is back to cold turkey. Gee I’m a hard case, as soon as I wrote that I thought, hmmm turkey, sounds good. Ha. on a nice big baguette. NOOOOoooo. Bad lizard. Stop it.

Sticking to whole foods isn’t hard at all, just requires some planning. This past week hasn’t lent itself to much planning, so I believe I’ll pack up the puppies for some errands and hit the fruit and veggie stand. Aka the grocery store in our small town, although soon enough we’ll have the local produce vendors and with any luck some produce from my own garden. Gotta dig up the compost and mix it with the soil like a real farmer πŸ“πŸ˜Ž

Let’s kick this can down the road, islanders, whatever is getting in our way. Just takes some prep and good old fashioned brain musclesπŸ—£πŸ‘Š πŸ’ͺ — have a great weekend all — jade xx

It is weird Jade, as when I look back to my records I was eating all sorts of rubbish on a NFD, but I was running a lot more too. I very reluctantly came to the conclusion and have been in denial for months that the only way to make anymore progress is to count the calories accurately and have a lower total. Sad but true.

I have been hungry all day and quite obsessed with when and what I am going to eat next. Hopefully this will all settle in a week or so when I become more competent in the calorie ‘cost’ of foods that I like to eat. Used to weigh out the meusli and have 75g and today it was 50g. A banana mid morning followed by a lunch of a small avocado, cherry tomatoes and some lovely prawns with some home made dressing, followed by some fruit. It was lovely and I felt full, got out in the sun for a brisk walk to buy running tights and now I am starving again. I like whole foods, fruit and nuts and unprocessed stuff….the problem is that I like more than I need as a short person! So, time to get a grip and take control just for 7 days and see what the results are. On the plus side, I have done 17,000 steps.

The lizards are out to derail us. Beware!

Have a lovely time in the garden Jade. I planted my first bulbs in the autumn and am completely delighted to see that tulips are bursting through the mud. The half a million daffodils must have rotted in the torrential and continuous rain.

While I’m something of a cave-dweller at the moment I do still read of your efforts and activities and cheer you on from the side-lines.

I, too, am sorry Jade to hear about your Mother-in-law passing away and send lots of strength to you as you support your husband. Mothers are so special and it sounds like she was a very good lady and a loved mother/grandmother. Take good care of yourself.

Annette, I’m sorry it’s such hard going at the moment and while I know that you know the answer, “just because it’s simple don’t mean it’s easy” isn’t an Island catch-cry for nothing. I also had pretty much all my success in the first 8 months but then the honeymoon ended and it’s been the same 10lbs on again and off again for months and months… Right now my new motto is “I don’t do that anymore” and by ‘that’ I mean non-hungry eating. So I’ve decided there will be no discussion, no negotiation, no ‘just this little bit’ but a total blanket application of ‘I don’t do that anymore’ and moving on… I don’t hold out any great hope of success but it is today’s plan and one must have a plan, right????

Chubs, I hope you’re finding something you can do exercise-wise to keep up the momentum without damaging that knee? I swim because my knees are cactus but that is not an option for you it seems. I know that cycling can be prescribed for some knee issues, especially if the knee is well strapped/supported to avoid any injury so perhaps that could be the trick, although the terrain for cycling looks challenging to say the least :-0

Okay, well I’m having a semi-FD today (800cals) and will do the same tomorrow so I can enjoy brunch with my daughter who is visiting from interstate. Love to you all, Spring xx

Hi spring,
    I thought that it was just me.
    It is weird as I am eating much better quality food and only the occasional nonsense now. The only conclusion that I can come to is that I am simply consuming too much and MFP seems to agree with that. Yesterday morning was a struggle, but then nothing worth doing is ever easy and those pink shorts show me that I need at least an inch less of me to do them up. I am going to be weighing my Sunday dinner to see what it all adds up to, which is going to be interesting. We have already cut down on our roast potatoes(my favourite), rarely have a pudding on a Sunday, no longer buy fruit yoghurt or chocolate mousse for my chaps and cooking all meals from scratch.

I think that when I learn what the calorie cost is of all that I enjoy, I will be able to make informed choices that will allow me to join you with your new mottos spring. After all, I am just counting up to 1,200 every day and even as a maths phobic, I can manage that.

I am planning to get out and run 3/4 times a week to get ready for the 10K in 5 weeks, so that I am not last and can run most of it. I bought myself some snazzy long running tights that will bring me joy and stop any excuses to get out for half an hour when it is chilly. So much psychology in getting fitter and losing weight/inches….

Local Half Marathon about to start here at 11am. Will go an watch and then run later in the chilly sunshine, when the roads are open. Have a great week everyone. Hopefully there will be a bit less of me in 6 days???

I sure don’t have the answer to our dilemma. Just that sweets are my downfall. I admire you Annette for so diligently seeking the answer by weighing and measuring. I’m not in the right mood for diligence at the moment. It occurred to me that this past week was one of the few times in the last year I have not given thought to diet. It was nice to relax. That said, I don’t have any delusions of normalcy lol, I’m sure the scale would tell me all about it if I cared to dig it out of the closet, which I don’t. I just want this to stop being so much mental work. Hmmm, Spring maybe I’ll try “I don’t do that anymore” in hopes that saying it will allow me to actually move past thinking about it. And the “it” in my case is those darn simple carbs. Worth a try!! So with plain yogurt, bananas, and grapes, I’m impersonating a health nut so far today 😎 No worries about the GS cookies as they are all (urp!) gone πŸ™„ Onwards we go, islanders, because why not. πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ jade xx

They are mine too Jade. I did have a 6 pack of chocolate with chopped almonds covered ice creams in the freezer…there are 3 left. Hopefully if I can share them out after dinner, that temptation will be gone. I simply must not buy them and for a long time I was of the’ I don’t do that anymore’ mindset. The problem is that I love ice cream, the last of my vices….

I am finding that allowing myself anything as long as it fits into the magic 1200 calories is shifting what I choose to eat. I did have an ice cream in the sun in the garden this afternoon, the very first time that the sun has got to my garden this year. I am making better choices, so lunch was tuna/tomatoes/cucumber with homemade dressing and was filling and scrumptious…and not many calories. My skewed logic was that I could fit an ice cream in! I am far from perfect.

I am also tired of the mental work. But I can see no way round this for me, except to buckle down, log it all and learn the calorie cost of what I consume. I hope that this will become ‘normal’ or simply ‘what I do’ but I suspect that there will be some bumps along the way. I have cut my tea consumption hugely, given up sugar in my tea and cut my overall sugar consumption by loads and learned to eat more wholefoods….surely I can do this?

I am hoping that there will be a difference on Saturday. I will be supremely happy if there is some waist shrinkage..although less belly would also be thrilling. Such a shame one cannot choose where it goes from!

I watched some of the local half marathon. Awesome achievement of 15,000 runners, of all shapes/sizes/ages. I shall try and keep that in my mind when I try to run more of the 2 miles than I did this week.

Just 5 days to go….

Hi there! I’ve been AWOL while I was on an eating binge. Too tedious to go through and I have no wish to relive any of it. It certainly wasn’t the kind of genuine tragedy poor Jade has had to deal with. What it was was stress coming at me from every direction and I did what I’ve always done: I ate. And ate. And ate.

By the time my FDs came I was *grateful* for them! I got through yesterday and through lunch today. Lunchtime is my toughest time. I feel ready to complete the day and I feel better and “cleaner” already with an empty gut. I’ve got my appropriate food day foods on hand for tomorrow and I’m planning to use up some salmon in a salmon chowder with oysters and shrimp that I’m really looking forward to for dinner.

I feel for you guys still struggling with sugar. I know my answer is just not to have it. Have you considered trying one week without it to see what that would be like? I know if I had done the kind of binging I did in the past week and let sugar be a part of it I’d never be telling you about any of it. I’d be continuing to binge and not even recognizing the day that I threw in the towel and gave up entirely.

You know best, of course, what rewards you’re entitled to and how you want to do your IFing. I respect that completely. I just hear that you sound sorta distressed by it. …if I’m not misunderstanding your basic garden-variety kvetching. 😏

PS Ever heard of an atmospheric river? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_river We’re smack dab in one. I’m not talking about the first 2 or 3 weeks of rain we’ve had up here. I’m talking about the last few days that have been monsoon-like. Seriously! No exaggeration. The wiki article says that they can dump the equivalent of the volume of the Amazon River and that’s what’s happening.

Lake Shasta south of us in Northern California is California’s largest reservoir. It has been approaching empty over the last 4 years and now they’re projecting that it could fill by the end of the month. Here’s a pic of it last year http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/photo/2014/09/dramatic-photos-of-californias-historic-drought/c01_53834006/main_1200.jpg and here’s the article that says it could fill up and need to have water released by the end of the month. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Lake-Shasta-fill-up-El-Nino-full-capacity-drought-6879810.php Astounding!

Hello my lovely ladies (I do hope Squircle and Plainy come back so I can say Ladies & Gentlemen again…) and it seems some of us are in lock down mode for a variety of reasons.

Jade, I think you’re doing exactly what your body & soul needs right now and I’m glad it is feeling more relaxed. Leave those scales where they belong and feed the body & soul with good nourishing food.

Annette, I hear you on the constant battle (and you too Jade) but I’m confident you will prevail as you have the prevailing kind of spirit; this is just a bit of a dip before another rally. I know that the up and down is the pain of it though and I get how much we’d all like to be ‘normal’ although I’m truly not convinced there is such a thing. Except my husband of course, who eats when he’s hungry and can happily wait till dinner time and sometimes eats because its a celebration and it looks so good and then other times he decides to eat less, cause he’s overdone it. No big deal, just balancing his intake to remain in a healthy weight range. Grrrrr, I’d love to spend a day in his head but then would it really be all that different? Or would he just be basically delaying gratification, when I would be caving in? Who knows πŸ™‚ All I know is that anxiety and the dark, cold dread that accompanies it is almost guaranteed to have me searching for another handful of nuts or some cheese or an extra helping of dinner and a “don’t mind if I do have a little dessert thank you”…
    For me, finding a way to manage anxiety without food is my holy grail.

Chubs, you live in a truly stunning part of the world!! Empty reservoirs are a regular thing here in Australia unfortunately, and there are no ‘atmospheric rivers’ to help out. Having said that, we have had some rain recently which has been a soul-balm for this grafted-on Australian who was raised in much wetter conditions and still feels a little desiccated by the end of a long, hot summer. I hope your knee is on the mend?

So I managed a mini-FD yesterday (about 800cals) and the plan is to have the same today and so far so good. Had a lovely brunch with my daughter & her partner and just had a few grapes right now (late afternoon) and that will have to do me for the day. I can still have a cup of soup if I’m desperate but it feels like I’ll be okay. It is weird how effective a ‘new’ strategy can be and the “I don’t do that anymore’ is quite perversely working for me at the moment. I think the take home message is I’m seduced by novelty and when that’s gone I revert to type. Still, as long as I can keep coming up with new ways to modify my appetite, maybe I might just get there?

We’ve had our first cool day in so long, so I have been enjoying the novelty of that and of being out in the garden after 2pm. My workload has eased off, too, since the nasty project was finished, so I have absolutely no excuses not to do more exercise – Annette, you have inspired me to go out for a walk (not a run, god forbid!). Spring xx

Chubs- it looks amazing. I hope that the post binge days are getting easier. Sugar was always going to be my nemesis and I am better without it, but ice cream is my favourite and such a struggle to avoid now that there is a little bit of sun. Provided I don’t buy it, then I can’t have it, so I usually avoid that aisle completely. I am working on what makes me buy the ice cream/pain chocolat/chocolate when most of the time I can hold my head high with a ‘I don’t do that anymore’ attitude and walk past it all without a back ward glance. A work in progress. I offered out the remaining 3 ice creams, 2 were taken, 1 rejected…so I had to eat it just to get rid of it! Ho hum.

My very slender friend doesn’t seem to give food any thought at all. She doesn’t enjoy cooking or baking and simply eats to stay alive. Her whole family is slim and always have been. I imagine that all of the years of over eating have become a habit. Changing that habit is always going to be hard, but then anything worth doing is hard.

I find it really interesting what we do that works for us, and I try those strategies out. I am sure that there will be less of us by the end of the year and some of our habits will have altered to accommodate those changes. I never thought it possible to give up sugar in my tea after 40+ years but there was 1 week of misery and several more whinging…but I don’t think of it anymore.

My plan for this week is a small walk/run x3 times and a longer run x1. No fasting, just keeping to the 1200 calories is going to be tough enough or a complete breeze.
    My mantra borrowed from AA is ‘one day at a time’.

The day after my first fast day my appetite was much less than usual….and if you eliminate processed card and high glycemic food, you won’t have the highs and lows that trigger eating urges.

I had a skinny friend like that in high school, annette. She used to say things that were totally *bizarre* to me given that I *lived* for food. She’d say, “maybe I wouldn’t mind having to eat food if it smelled like perfume. Wouldn’t that be good?”😡 No! If it smells like a cinnamon bun or a grilled steak I’m just FINE with that!

Again, please understand that I respect your choices but it’s my personal belief that there’s far more than habit involved in these things we do. I know there’s a serious degree of nobility in wanting to take responsibility for our choices. Our *character*. But I think there’s far more biology than we suspect or may want to acknowledge. I think when you (editorial “you” there, not aimed an you, annette, or any individual) eat certain things you nourish a certain kind of flora in your gut. And that flora *demands* to be provided with those things that are beneficial for it but not necessarily for us. That is to say craving may be more than a matter of conditioning and stimulus and our caving to it may be more than personal weakness of will.

I can’t overemphasize the difference in my eating habits and my *preferences* since I started fasting! It’s been a pattern over my life when I’ve fasted. And I did a good bit before I discovered IF. I’d just “binge” on *not* eating until I couldn’t do it anymore than then I’d resume binging on the nasty stuff. Now, in a controlled program where I cyclically fast and eat, and where I abstain completely from sugar and the starchy carbs, I can sustain the benefits I get from fasting and, I believe, populate my gut with the flora that have the same interest in high quality nutrition that benefits *me*. It’s a bonus that I’m burning fat and enjoying those foods and the opportunity to have the pleasure of eating.

I don’t want any perfume on my food but a lot more often these days I can behave like my friend and eat to be healthy. …and then, of course, there are those times when eat half a pound of nuts or eat my stress. ::shrug:: But a fast puts a period on those adventures.

So that’s why I *ask* if a sugar free week might be worth the experiment. You are the captain of your ship and you are entitled to the pleasures and practicalities that your life warrants but you could always decide after a week what is and isn’t worth it to you. I just want you to be happy, successful balancing all that out and not having regret about what you choose.

That’s said. I don’t think I’ll ever need to bring it up again. πŸ˜‰

Off the wagon.

Hello group, I am often guilty of visiting when things aren’t going so well. Today I am not breaking the habit!

I need to catch up with all the posts but I have started a full time job and trying to do school runs and full time job has stressed poor little me and bingeing/stress eating has been, er well, guilty as charged, I’ve gained half a stone and have packed quite a lot of food away. It is sugary stuff/carby stuff I have been bingeing on but to be honest when I leave from work I am “whatever I can get my hands on”. I don’t have time to exercise straight away after work and really struggling.

I need get “back on it” and amazing how having increased my breakfast (even if it’s high protein) my bingeing has massively increased.

Oo sorry to interrupt all the posts. I am repeating what I often do when I visit here, a gigantic fall from the wagon. It’s hard isn’t it, when food gives one pleasure and the rest of one’s ;life is’t providing much in the way of pleasure or relaxation – it’s hard to know how to destress when in the mode. I am sounding like a victim, I have a wonderful life, but some of us are foodies, my little brain lights up when rice cakes, popcorn even wholegrain egg sandwiches arise when I am stressed….

Sorry, Annette your mantra one day at a time, is great. I have been so off the wagon and involved with the new job etc I keep thinking I have eaten so much (enough to last a few weeks!) and there won’t be much to gain by trying tomorrow as I will have to try to do it for weeks and weeks, no way…. and there the cycle goes.

My husband says he doesn’t feel like a holiday this year so no beach holiday to scare me…

It’s going back to why do it at all, why try? I get half a stone in a few weeks is one reason! I used to care about the way I look but it’s not enough anymore and I do worry about my health but in that moment….

Anyway, rant over. Comespring, so have you managed to manage anxiety not through food? I notice people in my family in the high pressured jobs also manage their anxiety through hard exercise, food or alcohol.

A random thought too, I have been really stressed but having about coffees in the am, has anyone else noticed if it has affected bingeing? We discussed this once before but my bingeing is at it’s worst and I’m reliant on coffee and find it to be a slight appetite suppressant in the moment but I wonder if it makes things worse later in the day for me.

I am going to try a 1000 kcal fast tomorrow. I call it a fast and believe me it is in contrast to what I have been having (averaging, gulp 3-4000 kcal a day! surprised I haven’t gained more weight actually…) but trying to sort this out before it becomes a huge issue. My work won’t go away and the job only gets harder sooooo……

Bingeingqueen, I’m not sure if we’ve actually “met” yet. But I’m sooooooo empathetic as that’s exactly where I was all of last week. Eating and eating and eating stress. And everything else not solid mineral.

What saved me was my fast. Mine is arranged as back-to-back days and I do complete fasts with only water and naked tea. It cleans me out and re-sets my appetite so that I can stick to sensible guidelines when I do eat.

Because of massive overeating last week there was more white knuckling to the fasting this weekend. I had to keep myself busy and distracted but I got through the hunger of that first lunchtime. That’s my hardest time. And I’ll admit I went to bed pretty early last night to sleep through my final challenge.

This morning I woke up with nothing more than typical light hunger. I’ll have lunch at 2pm. I think I’ll make it just fine as I’ve planned the distraction of a long drive down to Washington and some Stateside shopping. I’m taking my planned lunch with me.

I know it’s intimidating if you’ve never done it but a nice long total fast really is very helpful and empowering to me. After I’ve done it all the white knuckling is over and I can make good choices without much resistance.

This, of course, DOESN’T make the stress go away. We all know that! But it doesn’t add a sense of helplessness and regret to the stress. And that’s good!

Meanwhile, are you taking any nutritional supplements? This might be a good time for a multivitamin and perhaps some B complex to come to your aid in resisting the stress in your life.

Wishing you well and hanging in there with you!

PS Have you got some real life people to help out? I have a couple folks who are instructed to slap me silly if they see me with the wrong stuff in my hands. They know I’m not kidding. And they’re prepared to step in and to listen to me vent.

We’re there for you too, of course. Rant as much as you need to here! But someone who will be your out-of-body conscience is a good thing on the spot with you.

PPS

Are you eating enough good food? When we are dealing with stress, are metabolic needs increase. Our bodies are going through a lot

Don’t undermine yourself by maintaining hunger by not eating enough sensible stuff.

It’s a time to be good to yourself

Chubster- thank you so much for a really encouraging post! I read it and thought, I can “get back on it”. I have been avoiding fasting in the fear it may CAUSE bingeing, but I am a compulsive overeater, I’m absolutely serious I can overeat on cabbage if it has a bit of salt on it. I think before stress has been intermittent but it has been every day and I worked one weekend too so it’ been full on – not like some people’s jobs but my appetite goes through the roof and I want snacks…! I have been eating healthily at other times. Ofcourse I’m getting less sleep too which I know increases my appetite and bad TOM so all my excuses are there πŸ™‚

Seriously though, it’s worrying, I have a friend who said she felt like this when she was on steroids…I’ not on steroids….! I find having a protein bar at breakfast (6am) but then I’m snacking on dark chocolate, biscuits whatever is available. Then lunch is a buckwheat and salmon salad, nuts then afternoons when I get from work, it’s whatever goes, It’s nothing to do with true hunger I don’t think.

The only person in real life is my other half, who just says “don’t want to do it, don’t do it, it’s foolish”.. which I know… he also says “you are not a victim” which is also true…! I have no one else who would understand and surrounded by high achieving sensible people (although some drink too much and my life seems much less stressful than some of theirs!).

Queen,
    It doesn’t matter one jot what other people do or how much stress they have in comparison to yours. It is your stress and how you feel. The only thing that matters is your reaction and then what you do.

I always thought that food helped in times of stress, but the only thing that happened was that I stayed on that flipping sugar roundabout always looking for my next fix…and I didn’t even know that I was hooked or an addict…I thought that I was normal. Apparently not!

It might be worth a shot at the suggestions from chubs. After all, what have you got to lose? What might you gain?

Thank you Annette, I guess it’s relative isn’t it. I’m quite an emotional person too so I don’t think that helps, my stress response is – oh I’m rubbish but O have to step back and look at it for what it is, the type of job I have gone into the work is never done, there is always more to do. I think I’m slightly afraid in the fact food calms me down, I worry I will be a stressful moody maniac I honestly don’t know what to do with myself, Lunch is a big thing at work and when I pick up the little one I stop off at the shop or grab cereal, it’s a frantic need. But every day so now it’s an issue. I let myself off the first few weeks….

Yes I have nothing to lose!!! I can’t keep doing this. Annette you describe it well, it’s look for the next fix, how to calm down. I have never looked forward to my much hour as much as I do at work! Just to calm down…. I think avoiding it maybe better, I eat quickly too!

Have you thought about a different job?
    Something calmer?

Annette – I am sure I would get stressed if I were a yoga teacher! in all seriousness, it shouldn’t see stressful but y it’s nature, i.e always more work and not enough time, the stress is there, at the moments it’s a case of needs must and my first full time job since being a mum, so all new. I think the problem is it’s take over my world and I’m a natural pleasure seeker all my pleasure is coming from food and lots and lots of coffee. I’ve always had a tendency to overheat and binge so this isn’t new to me though.

I am considering going part time!

Bingingqueen, did you know when I first found this forum it was one of your posts on this thread that made me feel like I had found the right place and I was “home”?

Yes, I understand the feeling that you could overeat on cabbage. I once did it on cauliflower and bloated until I thought my stomach would *explode*. We have a biological condition that we have to work around. We need *strategies* and a “road map” to help us navigate our way past it.

Here are my strategies in case they’re of help to you:

β€’ a 2-day water fast (or as close to it as I can possibly get on some days) to tame my appetites
    β€’ a probiotic supplement to maintain a healthy gut flora
    β€’ a multivitamin to make sure less food doesn’t leave holes in my daily requirements
    β€’ complete avoidance of my trigger foods; for me that’s sugar and grains and there are other foods I eat sparingly or only occasionally
    β€’ tons of water every day; I like sparkling or carbonated water; makes me feel like it’s more “something”
    β€’ something special on my last meal of the week; it gives me something to look forward to and keeps the week lively
    β€’ save anything that could be problematical for that last meal so that, if it sets up any cravings, I have a 2-day fast to smack them down
    β€’ get enough sleep
    β€’ do some moving
    β€’ a VERY large salad with beans for protein and steamed veggies as well as greens every lunch; makes me feel full and satisfied and not deprived
    β€’ 2 meals a day; I chose sensible food and eat until I’m satisfied
    β€’ homemade foods that avoid all the processed foods and non food additives possible. I’m not making my own mayonnaise but I’m cooking my own dried beans, for example

That’s what works for me.

One thing that I wonder about is that protein bar you start your day with. Check and see how much sugar is in it. Typical American ones have as much if not more sugar than a candy bar. Don’t know about the ones you buy but I’d definitely check it out. If that starts your day out with cravings and then you add stress you may be fighting a losing battle. Could you try a hard boiled egg instead for a week and see how that goes?

The miracle of this eating program for me is that it has *decimated* my cravings. That’s *why* I am able to do it. I’d like to see that if you’re dealing with all that stress at work, you’re not adding to that by feeding your cravings instead of your healthy body.

Don’t hesitate to call on me if I can be of any assistance or support. And ignore everything I say that’s not constructive for you. I’m not intending to be judgmental or dogmatic in any way nor do I think I have the key to anything but me. …and that I’m still working on at 68. Plus, I spent the entire week last week eating my stress too! πŸ˜‰

Forgot to add plan to meet your needs so you’re not left in the lurch at the mercy of your cravings and hunger.

Today I drove down to WA for shopping. It’s a whole day trip so I took my salad with me so I didn’t have to think of what to eat. I ended up having it in my car in the Costco parking lot in the rain. Not so ideal except that I’m still on track for a good week because of it.

Sorry to be late chiming in, but Queen I agree with everything you’ve all said. Food does calm us down, even (especially) eating the trigger foods. It’s an addictive response, and true there is not the same kind of destruction as for those battling drug/alcohol addiction, but there is the same kind of pull.

I know exactly what everyone means by “in the moment” – once there, it doesn’t matter what goals and plans were made. It is a feeling of worthlessness or helplessness that allows us to toss the plans aside. And then this ridiculous feeling of calm, which is deceptive. It SEEMS like a good thing, but it’s not. It’s as Annette and Chubs both describe, just body chemistry reacting in the way the food industry knows it will react – wanting more. Our friends who eat just to live? They don’t have that. Maybe they’re impervious, but most people are not; they have no idea why they crave sugar. We do. As a result, perhaps it feels as though you can binge on anything, Queen, but I’ll bet you reach for the simple carbs/sugar when the feeling comes on.

The ONLY cure for it is to avoid the triggers completely. I’m pretty sure your trigger is sugar as it is mine. Surely it’s not cabbage πŸ™‚ But to have that protein bar, which is full of sugar, unless by protein bar you mean a steak πŸ™‚ – just keeps the cycle going. They’re pretty tasty, I know all too well, but all that sugary stuff is my downfall.

Chubs, excellent list – I’m convinced that fasting is the way to reset things, and avoiding sugar/simple carbs is necessary to kick this dependence. I’ve had a rough time with “the moment” lately, but this was an allstar pep talk. No one’s stress is yours, Queen, as Annette said. It doesn’t matter at all what they’re feeling, because that’s not what you feel, and your body chemistry is a huge part of how we feel. We’re tired, or achy, or have a cold, or whatever, and we aren’t the happy people we know we can be.

Today is a FD for me. I need to get back on the wagon myself, but I’ve tried lately at least to avoid the sugar. It is a weird compulsion! I need to go back and read all the posts carefully, there is so much good here, thank you all πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ jade xxx

Hello lovely ladies and whooo who!! – Queen!! lovely to see you back on the beach:-)

You’ve all written my life story and like so many things it is multi-factorial – it never will be ‘one thing’ for me (and I suspect most of us) but a combination of things and then throw in timing and biology and going one hour too many waiting for dinner and… the list is endless. I so, so relate to ‘in the moment’ when all my carefully planned stuff goes out the window. We are also too ‘clever’ for our own good – how many times have I convinced myself ‘I’ll just have a little’ of something that can be perfectly okay i.e. not a trigger food, but I’m not really hungry. Haha, too many to count, while my pleasure drive then goes into overdrive in anticipation of a bit more and a bit more. It is true that avoiding triggers is so helpful but I don’t have just one trigger (i.e. sugar/carbs/grains) but many triggers that all seem to be psychologically-mediated. For example, I can eat exactly the same thing week in week out and then one week it’s just NOT ENOUGH and suddenly NOTHING is enough. When I look back at what has preceded it, it is generally not a ‘food trigger’ but some new demand/stress/incident that had me reaching for food (and for me there’s just no substitute for the way food WORKS to calm me down) so it’s on for young and old, as they say here. Not food triggering me but life circumstances and my ability to manage them varies and so my use of food varies too. I know I need to stop eating my stress.

So I’ve had a rant too but the good thing is that we can come here, rant, and then keep fasting (or have a break from it) and that I believe is the key for me. The fasting is the only thing I’ve been able to sustain over time and it is slowly but surely working for me. That, and the dreaded weekly weigh in that I swear has kept me on the (relatively) straight and (not quite) narrow.

So keep trying things people and keep posting about what is and isn’t working. I think the gut microbiome is interesting Chubs but the science around the right strain and the right effects is in it’s infancy (we had several posts around this a few months ago). Like a lot of body mechanisms, the balance is very subtle and delicate so a life-time of wreaking it can’t usually be undone in a short space of time. However, that is one area of science I’m keeping my eye on πŸ˜‰

Okay, well it’s well after midnight now and I need my beauty sleep. Strength to you all and thank you so much for the honesty – it’s what drew me to this thread in the first place. Love Spring xxx

comespring, I’m sensitive to what you’re saying about how hard triggers can be to identify and how their ability to morph or hide behind other things can be. I know I have a good number of allergies and have had the skin testing but my allergist has explained that pinpointing food allergies is next to impossible to do reliably because a lot can depend on the interaction of combined foods. Meanwhile, the permutations of all the things that can be combined is astronomical.

Perhaps I’m a lucky girl to have such clear reactions to specific foods (that I LOVE). I didn’t used to think so but I may have been very, very wrong. I know for sure that I’m a lucky girl to be several years down the road of abstaining from them. It’s made IF soooooo much easier and more effective.

Hellllloooooo 5:2 family! I’m back on the wagon. I don’t want to call it a wagon, though… what do I want to call this? Ahh, eff it. If I’m going to be honest, I’m back because I’m heavier (again, and again, and again… so boring) than I was when I started 5:2 last year (and then quit after lots of success. Why??), nothing fits, I’m loathing my body, I want to look good for graduation from my masters program in June, and I have to fit into a dress for my cousins wedding in July. Nothing like good ol’ shame to kick start me. I’m also training for a half marathon this time around, and a friend of mine in Alabama has talked me into doing Insanity with her, so I will be working out. I haven’t tried fasting while working out, but I’m optimistic. I hope I’ll remain so.

Anyway, I’m struggling through the last few days of the term, working on final projects and grading papers. I want to stay focused though I know these kinds of days are a challenge for me; I’m home alone and the fridge is only a short walk away. But I’m going to do it. I’m going to do it. I’m going to do it.

Forgive my weird and rambling, nonsensical post. I’ve been writing so much lately for school that I really don’t know how to make sense anymore, and all my skills as a writer are pretty depleted at this point in the term.

I did want to mention that, even though I’ve been gone for a long time, I kept the notifications from this group coming in. Every morning there was an email from this group waiting on my phone or computer. I didn’t read them because I felt so guilty, but I always knew I would come back. So here I am.

Welcome back, Penguin!! Soon to graduate, how exciting πŸŽ“πŸŽ“ We saved a cave just for you 😎

As you can see, lots of the same struggles going on here, with a bit too much sugar esp the chocolate kind in my cave πŸ™„ Tried many times to tell myself that a bit of this or that wouldn’t hurt – and as you said Spring sometimes it doesn’t have any bad effect and so I pitch my tent on Planet I am Normal and then BOOM it’s like the scene in The Martian where they all blast off and leave him behind. And I’m like oh hell, I’m actually on Mars?? pass the chocolates then.

Even if there is no sure answer (re the gut microbiome or body chemistry or stress), I’m going to kick this sugar habit once again. I felt better last fall, even though it took some wild nights with grapes and peanut butter to do it. I actually have pulled off a real FD today, having just miso soup and some yogurt. I feel different – calm. I’ve had way too many “FDs” that were regular meals, just smaller. Not sure if there’s anything TO that, but I’m not tempted to have more miso soup, I can assure you. But I also don’t want any sugar. Would love for that to continue! And why not, this stuff has been scientifically proven so might as well give it my best shot. Let’s keep going with this, intrepid islanders πŸ’ͺπŸ‘ŠπŸ˜ jade xx

Welcome back penguin!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ So lovely to see your dear self back on the Island even for a quick visit – hope you stay for a bit. That feeling frumpy & fat and needing to fit into something for a wedding… hmm, sounds VERY familiar. Only the wedding is only weeks away now and I still don’t have a dress. Oh well, they’ll all be looking at the bride and the bridesmaids, not me. You however have a lot more of that bendy stuff called time and besides, you can run. I would give my eye teeth to be able to run again but my running days are sadly over. I sometimes have dreams I am running and its delightful!

Here’s to us all meeting up on planet normal some day although in the meantime lets enjoy life on Planet-I’m-going-to-kick-some-FD-a*@. Spring xx

Thank you both for the warm welcome back. It feels good to be here. It also feels good to have successfully fasted today; I had a carrot-ginger soup and a hunk of cheese and now I’m off to bed. Jade, I agree that the sugar thing is a REAL thing, and I kept you in mind today when making choices about what to eat. I know carrots have a lot of sugar in them and the soup has some orange juice in it, too, but no refined sugars. In the past I would have a big bowl of oatmeal on fast days but I’m trying to kick the carb habit. I still like them, and want them to be a part of my life, but I definitely have cravings and those I could do without. I didn’t have any creamer in my coffee, either. And cheese, well, is cheese, and it wasn’t too much. I’m proud of myself and I’m glad to be feeling that feeling again πŸ™‚

Hello Everyone,
    Eloquent posts and certainly food for thought(pardon the pun). I wonder how much our childhood experiences have an effect on what we eat and how we eat when we become adults? How much does the food industry drive what we eat?
    I know that I feel much better eating unprocessed fruit and vegetables, fish, meat, cheese, brown rice and pasta and less sugar in my life. I am eating less bread, and smaller portions of rice and pasta as a family. I have reduced my homemade meusli from 75g to 52g but wonder if I might be better off finding something else to eat for breakfast that is protein rather than porridge oats/dried fruit and chopped nuts, after the comments about grains. I do love the meusli and it no longer has apricots or dates in when I found out how much sugar they contained.I will think about that and maybe try out some things over the school holidays.

Naturally I turn over this not-so-new leaf and WHAT do we have at this banquet breakfast…not the previous bacon, eggs, fruit and pastry (easy to skip), but sweetened yogurt, scones, orange juice, and canned/fresh fruit. Darn it! I didn’t gobble the whole thing, but did eat a bite of yogurt, the fruit, and the scone. It was small-ish πŸ™‚

So now instead of “I don’t do that anymore” my day’s mantra is “I don’t have to keep eating like that.” And I won’t. I swear I cannot hear the candy bowl; I have a mental suit of armor on.

Penguin, go YOU doing a true FD. Doesn’t it feel great?? It has seriously been some time for me, if I’m being honest. I wouldn’t worry about the carrots, so much good in them. And cheese! If I remember my glycemic science right, cheese is going to blunt the glycemic effect, if there is one. I wouldn’t call it an antidote for skittles but until some fruit or veggie outright proves to me it is wrecking my appetite, they’re all welcome in my new clean world.

It’s funny, Annette, I have the same pull from bread, yet yesterday when I had none, I couldn’t have cared less. I felt rather like Chubs, sipping on miso soup and more soup, watering it down to keep it going – my “loaves and fishes” version of soup (no, no actual loaves or fishes). Now, maybe that was just yesterday when I was on Planet Somewhere Not Insane, but there’s a lesson in there. With any luck I’ll figure out what it is πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜€ xx

Hi guys!

sanguinepenguin, so nice to meet you! And what a clever name!

Jade, listen babe, we’re going to get there! It just may take more time than we want it to. 😏 We human beings are stubborn and thick sometimes. …I mean drawing on my *own* experiences, that is. So we give in to reality only grudgingly when we’ve exhausted all our other options. ::sigh:: But I’m sure we’ll all get there on this excellent, do-able program.

And, hey!, you may already BE there! Some of us simply weren’t meant to be Claudia Schiffers.

Don’t know what came over me this morning but I actually went to the rec center that my husband and I signed up for when we got up here. That’s already a whole lot better than our last Vancouver stay when we signed up and I never got there in 8 months!

I did 10 miles on a stationary bike on a low interval setting. I got to heavy breathing a *whole lot* faster doing the driveway but I’m hoping this will be better for my knee. A stationary bike was part of my rehab after breaking the kneecap but that was 5 minutes at a time not an hour. Anyway, it’s iced down and I’ll hope to be able to do it again tomorrow now that I’ve found my way there.

You guys make me laugh and make me think and even make me MOVE! I am indebted to you all and so glad you’re out there and you make me happy that I’m in a new way of life with you as company. ((HUGS))

Here’s an interesting article that asks what would happen if food nutrition labels expressed the number of calories as equivalent activities that use up those calories. In one Baltimore neighborhood it actually changed people’s choices about juice and soft drinks.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/10/forget-calories-ii/381494/

And here’s another article that says that the fiber in natural fruit ensures that our bodies metabolize them without the glycemic spikes.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/ask-well-the-sugar-in-fruit/?ref=health&_r=1

I think that it would be a great idea to have labels that tell you just how long you would have to run to use up those calories and would probably reduce what we all scoffed. When I run and think of how far I have gone and the effort and then compare that with a chocolate snack, I know that I would have to go some distance just to equalize although that wouldn’t take into account the sugar content or the insulin response. The problem is that calorie doesn’t seem to be a calorie, as high sugar foods such as fruit juice may contain the same or even more sugar that fizzy drinks.

I am with Dr Robert Lustig, eat unprocessed food, brown rice/pasta, take exercise, eat whole fruit and vegetables and reduce both visible and hidden sugar in the diet, if it has sugar(whether it is honey, agave or the other 40 + names that the food industry use) in the first 3 ingredients, then put it back on the shelf.

Chubs, right back at you, babe – you fit in perfectly here and I always enjoy reading what you are up to.

Hmm, I don’t know what I’d do with the “how long to burn off” info. My logical brain disappears when I’m in a “sugar moment” – I hate to say I don’t think I would even care how many miles of jogging it would take. Except (like the nutrition info) to keep me from BUYING IT in the first place. Like those old Lean Cuisines, I mean they’re lower in calories and all, but such a paltry amount of pitiful looking food, and not nearly as satisfying as fresh anything. I’d swap miso soup and yogurt for half the calories ANY day.

So, Annette – I’m with you again on Dr. Lustig, though I’m having to ease my way back slowly toward a lower sugar intake. Like last night, we had burgers for dinner (regular god-awful bun) but also no-sugar slaw, oven-baked sweet potato fries, and a handful of grapes. Later, a diet coke with a bit of cream. I know, I know, not the best stuff – but slow and steady is going to work. Yesterday was actually a victory torn from the jaws of defeat after being confronted with nothing but pastries for the long, early breakfast I had to attend!!

But I’m pleased to think this is THE key for me. I’m calmer. I now think of the pure-sugar hit as something that makes me feel bad, like dairy, so my emotional response is different. The white bread last night, while not great nutritionally, didn’t trigger anything, perhaps dented by all the protein and good veggies/fruit at the same time and also there is something mental with me when it doesn’t taste sweet. But Katie Bar the Door y’all, when I have that actual pure sugar hit. So – new goal, no more pure sugar hits. I mean it! I used to speak of them here with reverence, but I hope that has changed forever. Have a great day all – we can do this together! xx jade xxx

Good morning from Oregon, everyone! I turned in my final project last night and celebrated by having a big glass of wine and a mixed drink. Surprisingly, I managed to keep my alcohol-induced food craving/binge to a moderate level and snacked on a small bowl of hazelnuts and dark chocolate nibs. Today is another “real” fast day for me, but I’ve decided that since I have a long run on the calendar for tomorrow (5 miles) I’ll allow the bowl of oatmeal to end my fast today. I realize I can’t dispense with carbohydrate altogether from my diet, so might as well make deliberate, informed, smart choices about it. The oatmeal is steel cut, too, so a little more hearty and nutritious than the regular rolled stuff. After reading everyone’s posts here I’m paying a lot more attention to my sugar intake, so thanks for drawing my eye to that.

As to the labeling of foodsβ€”I’m thinking that would be fine for snack foods, you know, the really awful stuff, but I wouldn’t want that on whole foods. I could see people trying to compare apples to oranges (literally and figuratively) while holding a box of oreos in one hand and a pound of lean ground beef in the other. I don’t know, maybe that’s stupid, but I think Americans in particular are fabulous at fooling themselves when it comes to food.

Happy day everyone!

What, me fooling myself about food, Penguin? Oh, you mean that time I said “milk” chocolate was a good source of calcium? Or was it the time I thought Girl Scout peanut butter cookies were a good source of protein. Or my all-time favorite, ketchup is a vegetable! πŸ…πŸ…πŸŸHa ha!
    Congrats on getting your final project done – will we be calling you Dr. Penguin at some point? I am feeling the lack of sleep today, must stay strong in the face of, well, no food here at all. I guess that makes it easier. I wouldn’t touch the candy bowl w/a 10-foot pole, what with 5 hours left to go in my workday. Happy that maybe I have learned my lesson finally. xxx

Ha, no, not Dr. Penguin. I don’t foresee a PhD, at least not if I can help it. But Master Penguin, sure. πŸ™‚ I think it would be awesome if, when you get a masters in something, your official title could be Master. I mean, that would be reason alone to do it!

Anyway, having a hot cup of coffee, no creamer, and headed to school for one last grading hurrah.

Cheers!

Penquin, I’m enjoying the image of a little black and white you waddling up to the podium in your hood and tam. Hope it’s a glorious day like yesterday and today. And what a treat to have someone else representing the Pacific Northwest. (I’m in that other Vancouver in BC).

I just love me some steel-cut oatmeal! And I serve it to my husband with homemade roasted applesauce. YUM! But, alas!, it’s one of the things verboten to me. Still, I can remember what it tastes like and enjoy the thought of it. 😏

Happy, too, to think of you on cruise control after years of hard work. What’s next for you? (Said the mom of 3 grads, only 1 of whom is settled in her field…)

Master Penguin it is. I dare you to waddle up at your graduation. 🐧🐧 Man, I’d pay good money for some steel cut oatmeal right now. I was about to kill someone for food earlier and now, whattya know, the feeling passed. Maybe i need a strait jacket for some of the FDs…. Time to go fight the other commuters and relax with some miso soup. Cheers all – stay strong πŸ’ͺ jade xx

annette, I think the calorie equivalence thing is a good idea too. What’s a calorie? If I put a cookie in my mouth and I know it’s 200 calories what does the mean? It’s too abstract a concept to get conversant with. But if I go to the gym and sweat for an hour to burn off 200 calories then I can relate that cookie to something comprehensible and make what has been rendered a truly *informed* choice.

I had 2 excellent days. Not only did I go to the gym and burn some cookies, 😏 but both days when I started thinking I was getting *really* hungry and it was going to be tough to keep a lid on it, I looked up and saw I was past my planned lunchtime.

Another radiant, gorgeous day. My husband’s been out of the country this week and he’ll be getting back late tonight or early tomorrow and the weekend is also supposed to be sunny with those big puffy white clouds. It will be his initial chance to enjoy some sun since we got up here. The vitamin D rush is just a palpable thrill and he’s been working hard and will deserve every bit of it!

PS In LA we call these “Rose Bowl days” because the Rose Bowl parade that everyone watches on TV is always held on these made-for-technicolor days and people think SoCal is really like that all the time. πŸ˜‚

Viewing 50 posts - 1,901 through 1,950 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.