I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,851 through 1,900 (of 3,046 total)

• Congrats Chub on making it to BC and especially for that stare down you gave Taco Bell. Now there is some serendipity, to see an organic deli. I might have thought it was a mirage! Your lunch there sounded delicious, much more so than anything at TB. Ha, there is an acronym for you, yum, respiratory disease! 😆 I do hate driving in the rain, glad you arrived safely. I know exactly what you mean, after the hard work of packing to move, only to get the hard work of unpacking. Take some mental vacations so you don’t overdo – even though it’s raining, you could cook a wonderful soup and relax in the ambiance of good kitchen aromas 😋
    Hey hey Annette, girl we are almost done with winter. I sense we have a kindred struggle there. I don’t feel any different, not really the SAD thing, but just less motivation. Much more of the “oh what the eff let’s buy a 2# bag of chocolate, nothing could go wrong there.” And then there is some sense of accomplishment when I don’t eat the entire bag at once 🎖 hahaha. However, with warm weather coming I think I’m feeling a renewal. I’m oddly pleased to say I’ve eaten enough candy lately to see it’s not really the nirvana I imagine beforehand, So my intellectual (i.e. nonlizard-brain) self is gaining ground. I just have to engage it every day. It’s like starting up a rusty old car some days, but darn if I can’t get it started if I try.
    So…a post-Saturday FD here, those have helped put the breaks on my typical Sunday mania. I peeked at the scale because I was feeling rather impervious (in that sense of usually being a nutcase), so I’ve welcomed back the kg I keep losing, but I’m acing maintenance so it’s not all bad 😉 We can do it, islanders, good luck to all this week!! 💪😎 jade xxxx

Well done Chubs on arriving safely and side stepping the fast food. Whoop whoop!
    Jade-Amen sister. You have peeked inside my head!
    The forecast for us in the UK is for a chilly Easter and it is chilly here now. No sign of any warmth for a while yet I suspect, but the days are lighter for longer which gives me hope.

We had 1 less roast potato and generally smaller servings which met the approval of the calorie guru at my side. I feel less full and I think that is better too. The plan is for a FD tomorrow and as it is so cold I am planning a chicken casserole that I can prep this evening and then cook in the slow cooker for tomorrow while I am at work. That way I can eat light at work, safe in the knowledge that a warming meal will be ready. Never tried that on a FD and a new recipe that I am altering for slow cooking. It will be low on calories as well. Win win.

I don’t mind acing maintenance on the scales if i am shrinking elsewhere. I love all of your emoticons Jade.

This is an experiment to see if I can post a picture.

This is the view from the coffee shop where we had breakfast this morning. It’s just down the hill from our house. The Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal is on the right and the marina is on the left through the trees. An expanse of park is all along the waterfront. (And that damned utility line is in the way. grrrr)

It was very overcast (I brightened it up) so I’m sorry you can’t see the majestic column of mountains all along the bay.

The cherry tree in the right foreground will soon be in blooming pink. And all the Spring bulbs will be up along the park before long too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75667634@N00/24730121223/in/dateposted-public/

It’s supposed to be my second FD but I haven’t seen my husband in a week and there was nothing in the house to cook so I wasn’t going to sit there without ordering. I had a bowl of tomato based fish chowder and a big glass of tomato juice. Not much damage done.

PS: It doesn’t look like I’ve mastered posting a pic but you can at least follow the link…..

Wow, Chubs, that is just beautiful!! I’m so glad you’ve arrived safely and I’m confident we’d have all ordered the coffee shop ‘Big Breakfast’ in the circumstances, so well done on keeping it seemly. Btw, I’d gladly swap any amount of Australian heat and sunshine for a bit of BC cloud and rain right now, and I’m longing for the winter with all of my being. I know I’m living in the wrong climate but that’s life, right?

Well done Jade!! Maintenance is not a word you hear often on Misfit Island but I think with the success happening around here we need to create stronger diplomatic ties with Maintenance Island and I believe you could be our first Ambassador…

Annette, how cool to have allies in the house with you, turning down roast potatoes! I’m imagining your local thrift shop falling on the bags you bring in before they get hung for the public – apparently that’s one of the perks of working in an Op Shop 😉

I’m having a calmer time of it at the moment and less swaying is needed to keep upright and moving on this little boat of mine. I’m sure it’s strongly hormone-mediated but you dear lot also help to keep my ship bobbing along. It’s a FD today and as I had a quite ‘normal’ weekend (watch out Jade and Annette) and was actually hungry several times and managed to delay gratification until meal time :-0 I’m hoping today goes okay. In this wildly up and down pattern I’ve been in, when I eat too much on Sundays I’m often not hungry on Monday FD’s till late in the day, whereas today I’m peckish already and it’s only 9:30 am. Not to worry, it’s only one day and then tomorrow I can have whatever I want, right?? Good old 5:2. Love Spring xx

Indeed it is, Spring – now no fantasizing on big coffee shop breakfasts until tomorrow! 👿 I’m sure I’d have had a very sedate 2lb cheeseburger and fries. Nice going Chubs, and wow that is a gorgeous view ⛰ so, you’re up the hill from that?! I’ll bet the hikes are phenomenal. Hope you have good footwear! And a parka. Looks a bit damp there ☔️ Not TMI but I’m afraid I’m past all that hilarity. 😅
    Annette the emojis are courtesy of my new iPad mini, which replaced the one I killed with a fly-swatter as the fly flew off in fits of laughter. I missed having a touch screen and, ok it’s true, I wanted a toy. I too am getting over a cold, and I’d have thought the lack of taste would have had some effect on eating habits, but golly I am just strong enough to be hungry no matter how congested I am! Go me! However, despite having spaghetti for dinner I’m managing a FD. Very small portion of angel hair, honestly that stuff seems to disintegrate into dust as soon as you bite down on it. Can’t be very many calories in that, and with a few grapes and yogurt, I’m done.
    Gotta watch Chris Rock host the Oscars. Catch you all later! xxxx💕

Hi everyone,

I haven’t had time to check in with the thread. I’ve been doing the 5 to 2 for 3 weeks now, and fast days are getting easier and easier. I’ve lost about 5-6 pounds, I’m sure this includes water weight and I doubt I will lose weight this fast every week. I always eat more just before/during my cycle and I definitely overindulged (by a lot..) so I’m pleased I managed to lose weight. I have PMDD (I am an angry crying overeating mess for a week every month) mostly likely due to my thyroid condition, and I eat prob eat 1/2 to a 1/3 more calories than I usually do due to the kind of crap I eat during this time. I’ve never been able to stop myself from doing this, literally nothing I’ve tried has worked. When I have bad food days, the next day I move on and I don’t even think about it. Thinking about how much I ate the day before has done nothing but cause stress, and it never led me to lose weight or be able to change my habits in the long term so I don’t bother anymore.

I’ve given up on the giant soup idea on fast days. Cabbage soup is not cutting it for me. I just have a cup of coffee in the morning with stevia & whole milk, and then I don’t eat until later in the afternoon because thats when I really start wanting to eat. I basically have 2 small meals later in the day. I try to distract myself as much as possible so I don’t think about how hungry I am.
    I have embraced not thinking about/tracking what I eat on non-fast days, as that is the promise of this book, so I don’t track or stick to any calorie limit. I haven’t found myself overindulging or ‘making up’ for fast days on the non-fast days, which I imagine is why people wouldn’t lose weight on the diet. I think I am actually eating somewhat less because I don’t have that nagging thought in the back of my head telling myself I should eat less etc because I need to lose weight. tracking what I eat on non-fast days is like dieting 7 days a week (due to the fact that I hate tracking so much). I’m loving this lifestyle so far, I hope that I can stick to it and continue to lose weight and never have to worry about what I eat on non-fast days. I do overeat on non-pms days but its my usual non hunger eating, but 7-10 days out of the month I eat much more than usual. I think due to 20+ years of eating past fullness, I don’t know that I will ever be able to eat like a ‘naturally thin’ person because I’m so used to somewhat larger portion sizes and I have deeply ingrained bad habits along with the pms issues, and it only takes a few hundred extra calories a day to gain weight 🙁 . In the long term, I hope to tackle portion sizes and distracted eating during non pms times, which is the hardest thing for me to change. Its really easy to get caught up in the euphoria of a new diet, so hopefully I can stick to this in the long term and still see results!

Best wishes!

Josie, I’m sorry to hear that you’re fighting a couple issues. I’ve felt the same way in the past so I understand how overwhelming it is and I congratulate you for the success you’ve had so far.

If it’s helpful I’ll tell you that my experience on this way of eating (as opposed to *all* the other things I’ve tried in 50 or so years of being a binger and a chronic overeater) is that sticking with it actually *changes* my food impulses. It’s my personal unscientific point of view that intermittent fasting has the potential to change the flora population in the gut and that that can stop or mitigate the unconstructive obsessions some of us have with food. At least I know that in the 10 weeks I’ve done this I have *enjoyed* the sensible foods I do eat and lost interest in the problematical stuff.

Of course, I am pretty consistent in keeping to veggies, salads, protein, beans and ordinary fats like oils and nuts, etc. I don’t *want* the sweet and starchy stuff anymore for the *first* time in my nearly 70 years. On the two occasions when I *did* indulge, it wasn’t followed by the inescapable compulsion to continue eating more and more of it. Life changing!!!

I also have an enormous appetite and capacity for food. So I still eat a rather large volume of it. I have a salad that would feed a family for lunch. And I have possibly 2 – 3 recommended servings of protein (usually salmon, I LOVE it) for dinner. It is more satisfying for me to really feel full and sated a couple times a day than to walk away from the table wishing for more more often through the day. And I think it’s more productive too. It may take me sweet forever to get rid of the extra weight I’m carrying but I’ll be able to stick with something that doesn’t frustrate me.

So, I celebrate the healthy, sensible foods I eat and the change in my metabolism that makes them enjoyable. And I keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving from FDs to food days to FDs and so on. I find it all, really, very simple (I don’t weigh and I don’t count calories) and easy.

I hope there’s something there that’s worth thinking about or, even better, that is helpful. Don’t be discouraged. Just experiment with what you might still be eating that interferes with your getting into the balance and productive urges to eat that your body was always meant to have.

Glad you’re still here and sharing your experiences!

Glad other people battle binging too, it is emotional hell. I try to avoid bread as it is my big weakness – there literally is no stop button in my brain for bread. Last night I went mad and finished a loaf that my bf had brought into the house. My stomach felt awful, tight and swollen afterwards plus I felt really guilty and awful.
    It has also resulted in today’s fast being more difficult than usual. I have drunk around 2.5 litres of water and still awful hunger pains. Starting to think bread stretches the stomach.
    I have been on the fast plan for just over a month and lost eight pounds, hoping I can stick with it despite my binging tendencies. Started doing 5/2 then switched to 3/4. I find the healthier I eat on non fast days, the more effective this is when it comes to my weekly weigh ins.
    I know that no foods are meant to be banned but I really think I need to stop eating bread completely, I just cannot be trusted with it.

Hey everyone,
    Josie and Becki these are issues we’ve struggled with here on binger island. First step in solving the problem is to recognize it, but after that we’ve found that different solutions work for each of us. Sometimes, as Spring noticed with her famous “gotta sway, people!” mantra, each day can require a different solution. If you read through the thread, you’ll see all sorts of tips. Biggest for me was cutting down on sugar. Cutting out the candy and eyeballing labels on foods like pasta sauce. The sugar monster is a strong one. So is that PMS one. I started losing the battle during menopause, feeling hungry all the time and seeing the scale creep up and up. Now after almost a year doing this, I’ve cut myself slack on days like that. No reprimands, it just happens to normal people too. It’s what is so great about this plan, you can go hog wild, as long as you don’t go hog wild for days on end. What happens is that the controlled days outgun the wild days.

Yes, the day after hogwildness can be tough to fast, at least at first. Often though I think of my FDs as sanity restorers, and of course it helps a LOT to know it’s just one day. A million do-overs are possible, it’s the giving up and staying fat or getting fatter that feels much worse.
    I sometimes track my cals, but agree that it is tedious. As long as my appetite is less and I listen to it, there is no need to make this harder than it is! But some days, I know I need a bit more accountability, so I’ll check in with MFP to make sure I’m not sabotaging myself.
    Chubs is onto a great idea by eating the whole foods, perhaps even to excess, when your hunger keeps calling. So much better than the other stuff you could be chugging down! Once again, though, I find I’m a bit different, in that if I eat past fullness, my body is like “oh really? You did that? I’m going to make you crave chocolate now.” So I try to be careful not to eat past the point that those whole foods still look delicious, if you know what I mean.
    But it’s a process for each of us to find what works. I love this plan and am a lifetime convert. So much bad nutrition advice is gone for me now, I.e., eat a big breakfast. I mean, are you insane!? Every time I eat a big breakfast, just forget portion control the rest of the day. Or any control for that matter. 😜😛
    Back to work with me – stay strong, Islanders, you can do it for one day!! jade xx

AMEN, Jade! We are all unique little precious snowflakes and we have to be willing to experiment and see what’s right for us. There is still lots of room for individual variations under the remarkable intermittent fasting umbrella!

We’ll all get there so long as we keep trying and check out every possibility and opportunity over time.

Jade, glad you mentioned PMS! The week before my period I just could not complete a fasting day, tried three times but the hunger was like a monster. Was shouting at everyone and getting really angry – had to abandon fasting completely that week. Then when my period started it was fine and I could manage fasting again.

Really nervous about the next week before my period 😱 Just going to try and do my best, fingers crossed I manage better this time

do you know
    today, walking back from shopping with elderly mother
    somehow the topic of eating came up (no doubt because of me)
    she is one of those people who eats LESS when she is worried or upset
    and she is also very controlled with her diet

anyway, she mentioned about bingeing, and how she doesn’t understand how “those bingers just enjoy it, don’t they, they say they love keeping on eating and eating”
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    i wanted to cry
    i pointed out that there are people who love eating loads of food and enjoy it
    and then there are those of us who binge
    and that we don’t enjoy it for a moment
    (don’t think she really took that in)
    i tried to explain to her that for me, bingeing is hell
    it never makes me happy,
    it is out of control, it is NOT choice, and it is not pleasurable
    it makes me scared of food
    especially the foods i binge on
    i am scared of eating sweet foods because its like opening a flood gate of frantic need
    i hate it when people in the media say oh the nhs shouldn’t give support to ‘fat’ people because they are just greedy and its their choice
    aaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh

why the hell not,
    they care for smokers, and drinkers, and fast drivers, and thrill seekers
    and everyone else in between

not sure the above helps anyone, but i just felt i needed to write it, as it made me realise how SO wrong people’s perception of bingeing can be

oh – and that pmt eating thing – omg that is one good thing about being in the menopause!!!!

sending good wishes to you all xx

Dear keeptrying-

How could anyone who hasn’t experienced it ever understand? We have all probably experienced it large parts of our lives if not our entire lives and who among *us* understands or can explain it?

Here’s a ((hug)) that I hope will get you through a rough patch.

It really does get easier.

Welcome Josie and Becki, lovely to have you here on the Island 🙂 and you have both made some awesome progress already! I’ve always had a really bad time with PMS too and I know it very well as a driver of weird/OTT eating, and it’s still a problem for me in peri-menopause (I hope all our talk of cycles hasn’t put Plainy & Squircle off too much?? Sorry fellas 🙂 )

I’ve enjoyed reading the different perspectives on ‘solutions’ and there’s so much to be learned from everyone’s experiences. At the moment, for me, it’s simply about having a go at 2 FD’s a week and getting on the scales once a week, with both designed to ensure I don’t GAIN weight. I’m not trying to lose weight or worry about whether that will ever happen as I’ve lost a significant amount but still have a lot of weight to lose. I could see very clearly that when I tried to push myself to lose more weight then I was starting to sabotage myself. So I’m in a kind of holding pattern that I know will not make the problem worse and as I eat well anyway (portion control and cheese are my big downfall) then a time will come when I’ll be ready to take on weight loss again. That will no doubt sound very wacky to some out there but it’s working well for me atm and the alternative – to gain back the 50lbs I’ve lost – just does not bear thinking about. Perhaps I should just see it as practicing for maintenance early…

Okay, well , enough raving from me. All the very best my fellow misfits, it’s great sharing the Island with you all. Love Spring xxx

Dear keeptrying – I’m sorry, I meant to say super-strength vibes to you in battling what other people wrongly imagine, despite their having no idea whatsoever. I guess we all have similar failures of imagination on lots of issues that we don’t know about personally, but being on the receiving end (especially from someone like a mum) definitely has an extra sting in the tail. That’s why this Island is so wonderful because the folk here do get it, and that means there’s a good chance they’ll get you too. Visit often and we’ll give you all the support you need. Spring xxx

I got some red bell peppers that were awesome at the market yesterday. I’m going to make muhammara with them. If you don’t know muhammara it’s a delicious Middle Eastern food that you can serve as a dip with pita bread or you can serve it as a salad and make a meal out of it with hummus and baba ganoush. You really might want to give it a try.

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/muhammara-shop

Ottolenghi is a world-class chef from Israel so the man *knows* muhammara. Still, I’d suggest pan toasting the walnuts before you chop them. And I’ve always made it in a mini food processor. I’m sure his has great texture but it’s lovely smooth as well. And if you can’t find pomegranate molasses all you have to do is boil some pomegranate juice down until it’s thick and syrupy. It’s well worth the effort.

AND if you’re a pimento cheese kinda gal or guy it makes AWESOME pimento cheese if you grate some sharp cheddar and combine about equal parts of muhammara and butter with 2 parts of the grated cheddar. That stuff will make any day better!

Chubs-glad that you arrived safely. It looks amazing.
    I didn’t feel that I could join in with the discussions about binge eating as it wasn’t something that I did, but thought that the comments were interesting and thoughtful.
    I am sick of soup though, I ate too much last year and just cannot look at anymore, so I made a casserole of chicken(in the slow cooker-prepped the night before) which we had with vegetables as my FD meal yesterday. It was delicious and warming on such a chilly day and I didn’t feel deprived at all. So I will do that again.
    We are eating less carbs now as a family, now 75g per person of pasta rather than 100g. The reduction of a roast potato on Sunday was fine and there were no comments either, so that will be repeated next weekend with loads of vegetables.
    One son who is autistic and struggles with change, finds the size and texture of some foods very off-putting and he will not eat them. We have had a frank discussion about food and I am now much clearer why he refuses to eat/try some food when he likes the constituent parts. He has also told me to feel free to cook and then liquidize lentils so that he doesn’t know they are in some meals. He has been over weight for years and is finally losing weight, which is brilliant.
    We sit down as a family and plan the meals for the week around who is in and out. The result is that I can plan, it is cheaper and we all know what we are going to eat of our expanding range of meals that I am trying out.

What a wonderful strategy and wonderful family activity. To get their support and be doing something so positive for your boys as well is a great bonus. Hooray for *all* of you!!!

On a random note, tried a different approach to fasting day today – have had only liquids all day saving all my calories for dinner and I think it is actually easier than what I normally do, the classic 200 calorie breakfast and 300 calorie dinner.

I have a healthy choice shepherds pie to look forward to when I get home, it is 350 calories and then some brocolli and asparagus so hoping it keeps me fuller in the evening when is usually when I struggle most.

How does everyone else fast? Smaller meals or one 500 calorie meal?

Chubs, that photo of muhammara that pops up on that link is just glorious – I wanted to bite the computer screen. Thanks for sharing it – had heard of the others but not that one. Love peppers 🙂
    I’m late chiming in this week, my schedule lately is meant for younger people…. Keeptrying, the worst thing about any eating problem is thinking others don’t understand. The truth is, no one really understands what they haven’t been through. The ones who have empathy despite that lack of experience are getting rarer these days. That is why this thread has helped me so much – a place to vent, with kindred souls, and share ideas and help. Sure there are other ways, and many books (I’ve read some) but the “group therapy” here is fantastic.
    Spring, I’m doing the same as you now, just focusing on doing the plan and good heavens I need to stay off the scale, mine is truly out of its mind with a 5-pound range this morning (and it’s digital!!). Of course it ended up on the high side. I threw it back in the closet and I hope a mouse eats it.
    Annette, thought of you last night because it had been awhile since I’d cooked lentils! So I put a small pot of them on to boil, while I made some rice and browned some beef and onions – quite delicious. And I had the leftover lentils today for lunch with some avocado, balsamic and olive oil OMG it was delicious.
    Student meetings still going on here, so off I go – happy controlling, Islanders!
    oops, hey Becki just saw your post, I find a true fast till dinner is best. It’s just easier, but some days I let myself have just a bite (not a mini-meal, that would lead to more food). That frozen dinner sounds like a good plan, I love fresh but often there isn’t time. And it’s nice the cals are figured already 🙂 jade xxx

Hi Becki:

Many find one evening meal high in fat and moderate in protein works best. Many of us have concluded after years of experimenting that eating nothing on diet days works best.

Here are some tips that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Checking in from Planet No You Are Not – seriously thought I was on Planet I Am Normal and could have just one ‘fun size’ chocolate after my virtuous lentil and avocado lunch. HAHAHA, no that didn’t happen. Well, not just one anyway. So the sugar made me super queasy today and not because I ate the whole bag or anything but OH the sugar bomb to my poor innocent blood system. And I couldn’t leave school because I had umpteen meetings and boy was I miserable.
    I can see Annette nodding her head. Well, that was some intensely bad reaction today. That’s what got me off dairy, and even though that was a real lactose thing, I no longer even think about ice cream. I just associate it with pain. So maybe…I’ve learned my lesson? Heck I STILL feel bad and it’s been a good 8 hrs.
    Goodnight from Planet Maybe I have Learned Something then. Stay tuned…. jade xx

I have been there and got the T shirt Jade!

It does help to leave it alone when it makes you feel rubbish, on the plus side.

I accept that I cannot have ice cream in the house.

Hey, you guys from Planet I’ve Been Doing This So Long I Can Do It in My Sleep! The important thing is that you’ve been taking good care of this for soooo long eventually you’ll eliminate all the things that just don’t make your life better.

Today is the day I focus on *doing* things that make my life better. I’m going to put an inhaler in my pocket and tackle the certifiably insane driveway in this house. I’ll make a little video so you can all enjoy the sheer Laurel and Hardy of it all. And, annette, we can compare hills! 😏 All I gotta do is make the bed and get dressed and knock myself around a little to get off my butt and the computer.

Here is something to make you smile. Woke and started the day as a FD, without breakfast and all was going well until a Pain Chocolat appeared and was eaten within moments and the day went downhill…On the plus side, I was very very good on Monday. So the plan is to have a proper FD on Saturday, which is going to be interesting as I usually buy the food that day, but my own silly fault for caving in today.

I shall look forward to the video Chubs. I walk 45 minutes each way to work and the final 30 minutes are up one continual hill, so I suspect that I might win! But I used to have several breaks to ‘enjoy the view’ while the sweat dripped off me. I can walk without stopping and don’t even think about the hill anymore. You will get fitter and faster and I suspect that you will reduce the need for the inhaler over the weeks.

I do feel silly about today. Never mind onwards and downwards fast friends.

Well, here in my post-chocolate apocalypse, it’s day 2 of never wanting chocolate again. Surely that can’t last 😬 but I do tend to learn from experience. I.e., the hard way! Maybe someday Chubs I WILL be able to do this in my sleep! I’m going to spend some time on Planet I’m Allergic to Chocolate. Good grief I felt almost psychotic, except I’m not sure what that feels like. Reminds me a bit of the “twinkie” defense except that, hmmm, I managed not to shoot anyone. And don’t get me started on the Affluenza thing. Gee, here we are feeling bad about weight control issues. Suddenly I feel pretty darn virtuous. 😇 As should we all – I’m starting to think we are the normal ones. Silly at times, but that’s ok.
    Day off for me here, thank heavens. I am getting too old to work so intensely. And that’s without the long walk uphill! Chubs, hope the exercise does get you off the inhalers at some point – wouldn’t that be fabulous! I did walk all over Costco yesterday and racked up almost 7000 steps in an otherwise fairly desk-bound day. I am not a very organized shopper but don’t mind zigzagging to browse all over the store. I got some wonderful fresh and smoked salmon, shrimp, pork ribs, chicken sausages, organic ground beef…why yes I AM having a protein festival. Some friends are dropping by tonight to help, and won’t they be amazed not to see the same old cheese and crackers.

So have at the videos, ladies! Annette, better carry an umbrella lest you get caught in another pain chocolate storm 😂☔️ I think I had better get my hand out of the nut jar over here and not blow the week’s efforts. I did hop on the scale today just to see what was up with that 5-lb swing yesterday. The scale said it had no idea what I was talking about, and gave me the high number HAHAHA. Better than the finger, I guess 😡But I expected that. Actually fairly happy where I am, just would like to blast off the last 4/5. 🚀 Have a lovely day Islanders – stay strong! Happy Friday! jade xxxx

So glad you’re getting some time off for good behavior, Jade! Use your downtime for something that gives you a lot of pleasure!

annette, I bow to your Iron Woman climb up a 30-minute hill and 45 minute total walk! Do you do that *twice* a day?

I can’t figure out how to get my little wheezie video off my phone and onto my computer but it’s OK ’cause I don’t need the humiliation. 😳 LOL! The significant thing is, once I did it, I found I could do it again and again. I think I did it 5 times over the course of the day. That would be real high intensity work if I repeated it after a rest of a few minutes (as opposed to a few *hours*). ::sigh::

And, having gotten outside (not surrounded by a running car) I did some gardening too. Not sweaty or heavy breathing stuff but I did a considerable amount of clean up. We had half a day of light and some actual *sun* so I put it to use. I guess there haven’t been tenants here since the Fall and the gardener does the blow-mow-and-go stuff rather than any bend-over-and-attend-individual-plants stuff. So I did it and got the satisfaction of a much tidier front garden. At least it wasn’t like 2 years ago when I had to attack — and I *do* mean “attack” — out of control thorny blackberry brambles that barred the stairs down to the beach. Of course, I haven’t gone out to the back yet so I’ll hope that isn’t awaiting me as well. At least it’s a good time of year to attack it when it hasn’t leafed out yet. And wait until I can get the video thing figured out and you can see the stairs down. It might be 5 flights.

I did have one techno victory to report. Since I got a new phone it’s been ringing on my computer. Baffling! This morning I didn’t rush to find my phone, I simply waited until I could *answer* it on my computer. Imagine that!

I had a *serious* attack of hunger this morning. I was “ravenous* and I never wake up hungry. I finished a few bites of my husband’s eggs (muhummara is a great accompaniment to scrambled eggs!). Then I had an enormous piece of grilled salmon, Then I topped that off with a wedge of brie. At least by that time it was bareable so I’m the remnants of it that remain are sure to pass soon. We’ve been having soup for dinner most of this week. Seems comforting on these dark rainy nights but maybe there wasn’t enough protein? I dunno. I hope this kind of hunger is over!

Oh! I forgot to say that bulbs that I planted 2 Falls ago are beginning to bloom. What fun! I grew up in the Northeast where the end of long Winters was marked by Spring bulbs. Then we moved to LA where there *are* no seasons. So seeing the stirrings of Spring is like a drug for me and it feels *great* to have had a hand in it and, by chance, be here again just it time to see it. I see vague hints of yellow on the bare forsythia whips. The dogwoods will flower next. I’m in HEAVEN!!!

Did all you guys see the notice that the site will be down for some maintenance tomorrow?

It was a small notice and didn’t say when or for how long. It’s just an advisory that if you can’t get on don’t panic and try again later. I guess.

Spread the word?

Hello everyone,
    Yes Chubs I walk up the hill to work and then back down to go home. It has been a great and largely painless way of getting fitter and more toned. I do have to make sure that during school holidays I get the distance in just to maintain.

I am struggling with the ‘rubbish’ and I am not sure why the biscuits and chocolate have invaded my life again.. My plan is to start running again and perhaps try Krav Maga-has anyone tried it? I gather that it is self defence, which would be good as well as making my upper body stronger, which in turn will help running.

I am going to have to follow your lead and focus on the protein. I know that it helps to fill you up and nourish the brain as well as the soul. The plan is to go out for a short walk/run over the weekend as no.1 son and I have decided to get fitter and plan to take part in some races over the summer(we will be at the back and the last ones finishing), with a view to a September Half marathon.

So a full weigh and measure over the weekend to monitor the improvements over the weeks. I want to shift these inches and lbs before the summer.

Annette how nice to be doing runs with your son! I’ve gone to a few 5k races with my youngest but she is so much faster it is not really a together thing. We do like the holiday runs, it’s kind of a tradition and they’re always fun. Lately I have not been out jogging at all, just gone out for walks or to dig in the backyard. Chubs, I know what you mean, there is something magical about springtime 🍄💐🌿🌾– I didn’t realize you were returning to a place you lived before – hooray for the bulbs!! I’ve wanted a proper veggie-herb garden forever, and this year I am doing it. I dug for hours last Sat and today, and now have two nice plots, one around 10×10 feet and the other a bit smaller. With the huge shade tree in our backyard, it is about all I could manage and still get enough sunlight for my crop-to-be. Annette, I haven’t heard of Krav Maga but have to say I just got an incredible upper body workout with my shovel! And with the weeding and care required (we have oodles of flower beds too) I hope that will be enough to keep the bat wings in check during the March winds. 😆

I’m still on my little plateau, maybe should call it a mesa at this point because it seems like a geological thing that isn’t going to change! But I saw a lollipop/stick woman about my age today, and it reminded me that curves are good – she clearly was proud of her shape given the outfit she had on, and she didn’t look sick or scrawny or anything, just a bit too reined in. I don’t want to turn into her. Anyway, it’s pretty cool what’s happened on my mesa in the last few months, seems that the body eventually sorts things and reshapes a bit. It’s almost as though it’s saying “so, you’re really not going to gain that back this time, are you – well, guess we need to regroup!” I’m still waiting for the muffins to regroup 😉 HA. But feeling at peace with things is nice.

Goodness there are too many holidays celebrated with candy – and here comes Easter! My problem is that some of those are sentimental favorites – Russell Stover strawberry cream heart 💖. Of course if I don’t buy it I can’t eat it. Our youngest is 25, so no need to pretend the bunny dropped it by, is there. And now OH has an ulcer and has been ordered to avoid caffeine, which includes chocolate…. So of course I bought five boxes of Girl Scout cookies today, because they weren’t really “chocolate” per se, and the girls were so cute and …well, you know the rest. I do not know what I am thinking sometimes, but I’ll keep you posted on what happens to the cookies. Can I be strong? And for your riddle of the day: “Is it normal to buy cookies and not eat them?” Hmm, going to have to ponder that one. Cheers all and have a wonderful weekend 😍 jade xx

Can’t seem to get that video to upload to Flick’R but we are having a glorious day today so I took this pic of Howe Sound from the deck. https://www.flickr.com/photos/75667634@N00/24907833754/in/dateposted-public/
    The island you see is Whytecliff Island and the waters surrounding it are part of Whytecliff Park which is a prime scuba area. The park also has beaches which are excellent for driftwood collecting and a broad lawn under ancient forest for picnicking and hiking. http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/Whytecliff01.html

On the exercise front I’m charging up the driveway, pacing around at the bottom where it’s level and then charging up again once I can breathe again. I *think* that’s the HIT approach…

I think I’m going to have to go back on my steroid inhaler. There seem to be lots of my allergens in the air here. Makes sense to overreact to them since this is an ecosystem I’m not exposed to and developing any immunity to in LA. Oh well. If it keeps me breathing and being able to be more active that’s a *good* thing.

I’m not doing 10K steps like you guys but my iPhone says I’ve done the equivalent of 13 stories so far today.

Got through the hunger attacks of yesterday in the end and thank god for a couple fast days today and tomorrow to sort me out!

My husband says he’s starting IF. It will be great if he can do it but he works with incredible stress so I hope that doesn’t become a big obstacle for him.

Oh DO IT, Jade! Apart from how fresh things are and knowing what horrible chemicals you did *not* put on them, there’s a special pleasure from eating things you’ve grown yourself.

We’ve been so mobile the last few years I haven’t been home long enough or at the proper times to plant but in the past we’ve been able to grow a lot of stuff. I recommend tomatoes most of all. The difference between a home grown tomato and a grocery store tomato is like the difference between driving a Honda and a Ferrari.

Yes. We lived here 2 years ago. As soon as we knew we’d be coming back we checked with our landlords and found the house was available. Not only do we get this glorious view, we get the BEST landlords anywhere. The tiny cottage we’re living in next door to their big house was my landlord’s mother’s home.

Their family has owned property here on the North Shore from the time when it was fishing camps. The Lions’ Gate bridge had not yet been built when they settled here and people could only cross by boat. Now it’s all multi-million dollar homes. My husband just told me this morning that he had read a story of a house offered for sale that went for $1.2million (Canadian) *over* the asking price. And it’s all about the view and living in an ancient forest on the side of a mountain. So you can see why I’m excited when we can come back. God knows we could never afford to live here! But, still, we feel so at home when we can come back.

I just ran across this and thought it might be of interest. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/best-exercise-for-your-age_us_56cf75d1e4b03260bf762269

Interesting article Chubs which sadly didn’t suggest that I didn’t run. So trying to psyche myself up for a short 2 miles to see just how unfit I actually am. First 10K in mid April, so just 6 weeks to get my/our fitness up.
    I had a busy day around town yesterday which included a walk with 1 friend and then the cinema with another, but managed to clock up 15.5 miles! Legs are a little tired today. I hadn’t thought of using my running watch to see what the distance might be, no idea of the steps as I didn’t use the pedometer. The plan is to use my running watch tomorrow along with the pedometer and see what a normal working day is like.
    Chubs, it looks and sounds wonderful. Wish I could pop over to see you and enjoy the scenery too.
    Jade, gardening can be wonderful exercise as well a balm for the soul. There is nothing like growing your own crops but sadly lots of mine were eaten by the caterpillars despite my best efforts. I am now trying flowers for the bees and butterflies. I will run on my own too, my boy is 26 and much faster than me and will be waiting at the finish line for me. I have no desire to look like a boy either, just less belly would be a big improvement! Can’t you take those cookies into work tomorrow and leave them there until they are all gone?

Annette, well…theoretically they could be taken to work (ahem) as several have been consumed 😔 – even OH commented that almost half a sleeve of the PBs were gone! but hey, not only did I not hide that fact (right? this time last year he’d had never known cookies were in the house), and also, I worked up a fierce appetite out in the yard, shoveling up old clay, now there is a workout! Lots of jumping up to land full-force on the shovel, lucky I didn’t break something. But indeed it was enjoyable and weather was just right – sunny, bit of cool breeze, puppies stretched out beside me. I was thinking of my MIL, who had a wonderful veggie and herb garden so I’m hoping to grow fresh herbs and a few easy veggies, e.g. tomatoes, zucchini, maybe peppers. If the critters get them, that’s OK, they’d make great flower beds too 😉 I will have to join you in spirit soon with the outdoor runs, it’s getting so nice here again and D could very well sign me up for a St Pat’s Day run, she often springs these on me with very little notice 😳

Chubs, fabulous serendipity to end up in the same house with wonderful landlords. It’s all so gorgeous! Very happy for you and thanks for sharing the photos!! Those hills will get you in super shape, though I’m glad to hear you’re being smart about the inhaler. So…according to that exercise article, HA I should probably be playing shuffleboard 😆 Had to laugh at “light activity like gardening” – “light” my ass. Though I suppose they mean the post-digging part. Sorry, but granny is not going to call it a day just pulling a few weeds. So maybe I’ll just stay in my 40s, at least delusionally, because I prefer the “do anything, just move” approach to exercise. My goal is to go out with a bang, like that woman who keeled over after a marathon in her 90s.

I need to go write an exam to torture my students with in a few weeks. We didn’t do our usual Sat happy hour socializing, as OH’s ulcer hasn’t yet calmed down, but he’s feeling better. I’ve gotten used to the Suday FD though, so why not. Chubs you still doing the 2 weekend FDs? Send some of those vibes over here, my tummy is wondering where the daily allotment of cookies went! Cheers islanders, make it a great day no matter what you’re doing! jade xx

I found to my surprise that my new iPhone has a health monitoring app. Do you have such a thing, annette? I’d be willing to bet it’s a feature of Smart Phones as well. It tracks my steps, distance and the number of floors I climb (how does it know?). ….if I remember to have it with me. Is this what MFT (or whatever it is) does? Anyway, it was interesting to discover and if I take my phone out of my purse in the shopping cart it will work for me.

It also has all my vital health info and that feature can be opened by a health professional even if the phone is locked with a password. It’s a well thought out app and I’m *thrilled* to have it on my husband’s phone because he has all kinds of cardiac issues as well as a pharmacopeia of prescriptions.

Yesterday (when I mostly remembered to have it) I went less than 7K steps but I climbed the equivalent of 25 floors. Yay me! 👍

Sooooooo empathetic about the clay, Jade. When you said you were gardening I didn’t put Georgia and clay together automatically. We have brown clay that becomes a Slip ‘N’ Slide in the rain and freakin’ century old buildings when you mix straw into it and dry it into adobe bricks.

Do you compost? In the end, compost was the thing that made a real difference in my soil. It’s taken 15 years of working on a bed at a time but I now have pretty arable soil in my flower beds and veggie patch. And, I have to say, I’m waaaaay better at compost than gardening, so you go with your strength, right? 😏 Compost and raised beds! And you’ll be rewarded with luscious tomatoes and fewer last minute trips to the grocery store.

I blew my FD last night when we got a dinner invitation. But I stuck to a simple salad, a piece of grilled fish and veggies. And I’ll roll my FDs over to Sun & Mon. I LOVE how flexible this program is!

I have been sabotaged by chocolate today which has been rather unexpected. Managed to share some but I am about even with the calories burned walking 15.5 miles yesterday and what I have eaten today including my first run of the year. In an attempt to both whittle off more waist and get some training in for this 10K in 6 short weeks, I have decided to run the same 2.3 miles for the next 5 days while keeping to my TDEE and see what happens.
    I am brilliant at compost too! I put all of the fruit and vegetable peelings in a plastic compost bin at the bottom of the garden, and in return the ‘black gold’ is rather fabulous. Sorry about the clay, where I grey up it was horrendous too.
    My phone sits in my handbag in a drawer at work Chubs, so I will use both the pedometer, running watch and moov to track my activity tomorrow to see what the distance and steps are before I run, and during. It was more of a walk than a run today, but hopefully there will be an improvement by the weekend.

I am with you, Jade. I am staying in my 40’s too. All exercise is good especially if it makes you sweat. I am trying to shrink the waist further.

Fifteen and a half miles is *stunningly* impressive to me. Tell me you *are* 40!

Where did you go? Was it a get-from-point-A-to-point-B exercise or a recreational hike? Most impressive in either case. …but I hope there was some pleasant scenery.

I am 55 Chubs, but pretending I am 40!
    I met a friend and we walked and talked a very pleasant 6 mile loop stopping for tea en route and then back home, a quick lunch with the realization that the cupboards were empty, so a walk to the supermarket with my trolley which was laden on the return trip. Then a walk to town to get some fresh fruit and vegetables from a stall that is both good quality and competitively priced, so with a full trolley called into see a friend, more tea and then off to the cinema, then finally home=15.5 miles. I was surprised that it was so far and was quite painless. I slept very well though!

Sounds very pleasant!

I find, at least for myself, that’ it’s the easy painless stuff that works because it’s so much easier to stick to. Or maybe it’s “easier” because it’s so “right”. Doesn’t seem fair that sometimes you work and work at something and barely manage it and others you hit the sweet spot and get great results with minimal effort but sometimes that’s the way it is. I guess the effort goes into finding the magic combination of attributes, interests, abilities and methodologies.

Not complaining. Intermittent fasting obviously works for me in ways nothing previously has. But it does seem to be one of life’s devilish little tricks.

It was lovely, busy, but lovely. I estimate that I usually walk 9 miles on a Saturday and very little on Sunday. I’ll let you know tomorrow what a working day is like.
    It was the short walk/run that is making me realize that I have abs, which are a little sore, so I need to get them stronger.

I am surrounded by folk who are trying to lose weight, so it will be interesting to see how it works and if they keep it off. I hope so as there is a change in behaviour so far….

Wow, Annette, I was so amazed that I hadn’t slurped up every last girl scout cookie that I forgot you had walked 15+ miles. HOLY SMOKES. You made it seem like “eh I had places to go” but Chubs you said it perfectly – things don’t seem so hard when one isn’t constantly thinking “this is hard!” Some FDs do fly by, at least until I get home. Today on the other hand has lasted 67,000 hours.

But it’s the eating normally on the 5 days thing – I can turn that into advanced calculus. I’m suddenly in the Garden of Eden living IN an apple tree. Ah well, I’ll keep working at it. I did get out and walk 9000 steps with the dogs today. My Fitness Pal is MFP, Chubs, and it has a step counter along with everything else. Pretty decent for a free app.

All right, islanders, time to see what’s for dinner besides the pasta that OH wants. It’s cheese ravioli so I’m not even tempted. I had a bit of his ice cream the other night and my stomach spent the rest of the night yelling mean things 😡 lol I’m a stubborn one! jade xx

GOOD FOR YOU, annette!!! I have a friend who’s my age who still plays tennis and recently she played with a woman who is 91!

Me? I can barely wheeze my way up the driveway. But I’m trying.

Meanwhile, being so fit and getting fitter must be an equal boost to your self-esteem as it is to your muscle mass. So proud for you!

Hello lovely ladies and gentlemen, I’m very impressed with all your efforts – 15 mile walks and mad dashes up steep hills and walking dogs into the ground. I enjoyed reading the exercise link and wished I was in my 70’s as it appears you don’t have to do anything then…? I think the photos you sent would inspire anyone to get outside Chubs.

I’m having a tres terrible time right now, no excuses, just a willful disregard for all my hard work and a FD that has been so FU I can’t quite believe it myself. Thankfully, I can always channel Viviene Leigh and start again tomorrow and my friends on the Island will still be here, albeit skinnier and fitter than I am 😉

Well, I too have student papers due and an exam to administer shortly so I’d better get my act together and quit the pity-party in favour of some steely self-reflection. We can do this folks!! love Spring xx

If it is any consolation, my legs ache along with some well hidden abs! I gave up owning a car about 6 years ago as I live in a small city and I simply couldn’t afford to run a car and pay my mortgage, so I got rid of the car, looked at my finances hard, made some changes which allowed me to overpay and become mortgage free. If I want to go anywhere I walk, will rarely get a taxi and could hire a car from the local city car club. Generally I walk which means lugging shopping in my trolley which I have decided is equivalent to a gym work out, but I don’t suppose it is…

Never mind spring, it happens. Get back into the groove, perhaps set a target of some sort to aim for. I am only running as we have signed up for a race in 6 weeks and unless I get out and do some I will be the very last…and despite my grey hair I want to do better than that. Stubborn can work to the advantage. Off to work and catch up with you all later with the stats for the day.

I’m doing calorie counting on non fast days to counteract my bingeing so fitness pal app to work to a calorie intake of 1800-2000 on non fast days which means l am full but not bingeing. Fitness pal app really useful for calorie counting on non fast days
    Xx

Here are the stats for an average day. I walk approximately 4.5 miles to and from work, and usually do around 14,000 steps(which is around 5,000 each way) and just 4,000 at work. Today I have run another 2 miles after work which brings my total steps up to 18,639( 9.5 KM and just 629 calories) and as it is early evening I won’t do many more now. If I can run 5 times a week just 2 miles that should help with increasing my fitness and it is glorious in the sun if rather chilly.

I must try MFP, as i have been having a lesson on aps from my son. Think I am a bit clearer on them now!

Sounds like a great plan Annette, steady and slow increases and an everyday regime that is very impressive!. I know one of the traps for ‘older’ and ‘less fit’ folk is to go all out on a new fitness campaign and then injure themselves so that 6 months down the track they are worse off.

Welcome to the Island Slim and yes, MFP seems to be a good thing for many people and anything that helps keep non-FD eating down is great. Unfortunately for me I find it too easy to blow off all the helpful feedback from various devices (and well-meaning friends and even my own damned head) and rebel like an oppressed teenager. What I think I need is an implant in my brain that stimulates my executive function to kick in and take over and not let the lizards have all the play. Maybe I should find a little electrode of my own, or perhaps wander down to the psychology lab when no one is looking…

Keep up the good work Islanders, Spring xx

Rather sore legs and abs so a rest day today and tomorrow, then another short run on Thursday and Friday. It is amazing how quickly the fitness goes, but also how it starts to come back after a couple of runs. I think that the walking to and from work is a big help to keep me fit.

Maybe a goal of your own making spring might help. I am not good at being told what to do either and also seem to rebel then as well. I can follow a training plan for a race though and be completely focused on what I need to do and when-weird. Perhaps a trip to the psychology lab for us both?

I am just trying to eat less carbs, more protein and fat…and of course, avoid sugar. Easy? No. Doable? Most of the time yes.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,851 through 1,900 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.