I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 3,046 total)

• Sorry, Michel, hope the bd goodies weren’t too tempting. Or if they were, that you enjoyed them!

I’m excited about this path to normalcy, Annette, though not so excited as to eat whole-grain pasta πŸ™‚ – not to worry, I like brown rice and wholegrain bread (always have preferred that). Funny that I never cared about ingredients in food until I realized they might make me crazy, as well as unhealthy. Ah well, they say youth is wasted on the young.

FD almost done here – watching playoff baseball to keep myself out of the kitchen πŸ™‚ xx

Morning all, just starting my second fast this week and have come here for a dollop of strength. (Not sure what happened to my other postings hopefully this one will launch). Joining the sugar debate, I’m sure it’s the answe for some but my issues are in my head ?. Food is how I sooth myself, love myself, comfort, treat and enjoy myself

I am not sure that your issues are in your head, but in your hormones. Back to Robert Lustig(Fat Chance) who suggests that changing behaviour is very hard if behaviour is considered as ‘free will’ and cites the 60 million diet recidivists world wide.However a dictionary definition of behaviour is a ‘stereotyped response to a physiological stimulus’. He talks about how it is difficult to resist the cravings and eat the cookies and keep this up when a hormone or neurotransmitter is pushing you to eat it.Human behaviour is driven by hormonal signals, a result of our biochemistry that are part of evolution to keep us safe. But the time when the harvest was for a short time and sugar was available in fruits for that short time, are long since over.He argues that if we were able to combat our physiological urges for that doughnut then we wouldn’t need his book.
    He argues that the goal is to reverse the hormonal dysfunction by reducing insulin, which will reduce the energy sent to the fat cells, improves leptin sensitivity and a lower appetite. Glucose drives insulin production up, so by cutting back on refined carbohydrates and reducing sugar consumption this will reduce insulin production. He suggests that by removing soda and juice from the diet is the easiest way to do that. He also suggests that by eating more fibre(beans,lentils,nuts and whole grains) along with whole fruit and vegetables(juicing removes the fibre)that will also help reduce insulin production. The reason that white rice/bread/pasta are not very good, is because the fibre has been removed. To improve muscle insulin sensitivity…exercise will burn off muscle fat and liver fat.
    Anything that blocks leptin signalling will be read as starvation by the hypothalamus which will increase long term food intake.Anything that alters the meal to meal hunger and feeling of fullness will also increase food intake. Fructose does it all as it doesn’t stimulate an insulin response, so the leptin doesn’t rise and the people keep eating. Longterm fructose consumption interferes with the leptin signals and thus an increase in food intake.
    Scary stuff.
    My vat of homemade Bolognaise is bubbling on the stove. I am just wondering whether 300g of red lentils will be about the right amount to cook and then add. We will be having this with wholemeal pasta this evening.

I hardly drink alcohol because it makes me feel rubbish. A glass with friends is very pleasant but anymore than that makes me feel quite awful, so i never have anymore than 1 probably 4/5 times a year. In January, I cut my tea consumption drastically after hearing how much caffeine was in tea and immediately saved myself 35 tsp/week. The result was that I began to realize that puddings at work were making me feel rubbish in the afternoon, which was a hell of a blow to a girl that loved puds. So, I cut out puddings for 1 week to see how I felt and I felt much much better. Then I tried 1 pudding the following week and realized that I felt rubbish. It wasn’t difficult to ditch the puds as I knew that I felt better without them. I became aware that I was no longer hiding sweet things to eat on my own, as I was no longer buying them because they were also making me feel rubbish after I had eaten them. Other food tasted more sweet, so that reduced my consumption further as I needed less of them.
    The notion of reward and treat is interesting. I realized that FD were changing what I wanted to eat and what I enjoyed.
    I still enjoy the occasional Almond Croissant, perhaps 1 every few months now if I am passing, as opposed to several times a week and going out of my way to get one.My favourite now is a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with a mashed avocado spread across them…how times have changed!

Welcome back noseinabookgirl (not sure how to shorten that one?!) and well done on tackling another fast day. I subscribe to the theory that nobody knows us like we know ourselves, so I’m confident you have a good deal of knowledge and understanding of your motivation for your eating and you can find a way through it. We can certainly learn from what others have to say, but we also need room to find our own way – hopefully this thread is all about offering non-judgmental support πŸ™‚

Go Jade – torch-bearer to normalcy (whatever that is!). I hope the post-trip flatness has eased? I’m about to have all my kiddlings home for the weekend so I expect a little of the same when they all fly out again.

Melb – I hear you on the b’day celebrations; awful, especially at work as they are often unexpected.

Annette, I cook a lot of lentils and beans and they do thicken things up so you’ll need to allow for that with the amount of stock and fresh tomato you are using. You should look at adding Soy Grits for a lovely nutty zing.

Strength to all fasting and even more strength to those battling non-fast day lizards. Spring xx

Hey Nose! Nice to see you again. Yep Spring, it’s different for all of us. My path to food insanity has a lot of trails! But sugar sure gets a hold on me, so I should not dig into the treats very often. HA. What are soy grits?

I tangled with the nFD lizard today, planned badly, had no time for lunch – AND a long day (still at it, almost 7 pm). So I’ve had a mocha latte, half a Cadbury bar, and some freaking trail mix. The good news (?) is I feel “like rubbish” as Annette puts it. No way could I binge on anything sweet right now! Wishing I had some of your bolognese sauce!

I need to try lentils in stews and such – I don’t like plain lentils but mixing them into other things sounds like a fabulous idea.

Back to work with me so I can go home before midnight. xx jade

Night All!

Successful FD!
    I even turned down a free lunch. Woot!

Sorry I have not been posting. New micro-managing boss, can’t be seen on my phone. Must be busy all the time, it really s*cks.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Hi again all, just thought I’d drop back to say I’ve lost 1/2 of the weight I put back on during my 5 week travelling hiatus (being very naughty/enjoying life – depending on your perspective!). So I have a bit more to go till I’ll be back where I was and can continue the downward trajectory, hopefully by next week.

Well done on a successful FD Michell and remember, apparently there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch, really!! Sending you micro-manager-slaying vibes.

Jade, planning is key I know, I hate getting caught at work with no options but a vending machine. And your sugar battle is an inspiration, keep up the good work. I swear I’ll log on one day and you’ll be saying how much you love that wholemeal pasta (it really is really yummy btw but look for some fresh stuff at a market to convert you rather than the store-bought varieties which can be a bit dense/flavourless). Soy grits are basically just soy beans that have been toasted and ground into small pieces, so they blend in with almost anything without taking over the dish. They were too small for the kids to notice/object to at the time when they would balk at whole beans and could spot a lentil at 50 paces, and they have a nice nutty flavour. A bit like the flavour of Misfit Island… xx

Well done Spring! Won’t be long until you’re back to your pre-holiday weight. I’m with you, I think you should enjoy life when you’re at an event or it’s a holiday. Dieting at Christmas is not for me!

Today is my first fast day of the week, and I have (like a lot of the people in the UK I’m sure) the compulsion to eat loads of sugar to annoy Jamie Oliver. I also feel like singing

Food, glorious food!
    Hot sausage and mustard!
    While we’re in the mood —
    Cold jelly and custard!
    Peas pudding and saveloys
    What next is the question?
    Rich gentlemen have it, boys —
    in digestion!

Food Glorious food
    We’re anxious to try it
    Three banquets a day
    Our favourite diet
    Just picture a great big steak
    Fried, roasted, or stewed
    Oh food! magical food! wonderful
    food! marvellous food!

What wouldn’t we give for
    That extra bit more
    That’s all we live for
    Why should we be fated to do
    Nothing but brood on food
    Magical food,
    Wonderful food
    Marvellous food,
    Beautiful food,
    Food, Glorious food glorious fooooooood

I am looking forward to teatime. I will try not to brood on it though!

Thanks spring I am just guessing how many lentils to put in all sorts of things and I think that I am underestimating the amount at the moment which is fine as no one seemed to notice(I had hidden the packet in the cupboard). Are the soy beans,tinned ones that you use for soy grits?

I am certainly feeling much better with less sugar and getting used to less in my tea too. I thought that I might have a go at making peanut butter and chocolate spread in an effort to eat less processed food. The peanut butter(dry roasted peanuts,groundnut oil and some honey all blitzed in the food processor) was so simple and tastes delicious- much better than anything I have bought and took 5 minutes to make. The chocolate spread(double cream, dash of salt, little bit of sugar poured over the cream and whisked)is setting in the fridge. I have a little pot of organic yoghurt to use with some milk later to make some plain yoghurt(boil the milk add the yoghurt and put in a thermos flask for 8 hours and then in the fridge)-never made it before so that will be interesting so see how it turns out. I got the recipes off the internet.

Poor you Jade. On the plus point, now that you have felt rubbish after the chocolate, it is so much easier to refuse and try to find something more healthy to eat. I am making a stash of meatballs, some for tea making my own tomato sauce rather than the sugar laden shop bought jar, and then more for the freezer for when I am back at work.

Fast day for me tomorrow. The boys are having slow cooked chilli beef with red kidney beans and brown rice, which I don’t like. Me? Probably prawns for lunch and salmon for tea. I am hoping for some good news on the tape measure this weekend.

Tried out the homemade peanut butter and chocolate spread on the boys and it is delicious. Happened to say to one of them that I was keen to have less processed food and he announced that he has lost a stone just by giving up sugar. After what I have read so far…I am not surprised.

Afternoon Fast Clubbers!

Feeling in control today. (so far) No food in the office, Yea! Makes it so much easier.

Oatmeal & 1/2 a protein bar for lunch.
    Looking forward to dinner w/ mom tonight.

Stay strong everyone!

How did you make peanut butter Annette?

Ah Helen, you had me singing! About food but still, the “glorious” part — which is fresh/unprocessed.

Congrats Spring on getting your groove back – I love 5:2, it gives us such tenacity and resilience (watch me fling those multi-syllabic words!). It just always seems so “doable” and flexible. No other way of eating even comes close.

Wow, Annette, your son lost a stone? That’s amazing. Any idea if he had any kind of food cravings that had been caused by sugar/additives? Sneaky you with the lentils, you might not want to quiz him too much about his eating πŸ™‚ Your choc sauce sounds divine, like ganache.

Go Michel, good planning for you today! Enjoy dinner with your mom <3
    Funny thing about my FU-nFD yesterday, I ended up having a late supper of veggie soup that I had frozen for a FD dinner. So I ended up turning for “comfort” to real, nutritious food. My inner lizard was in tears, surely. And I felt a whole lot better!
    Stay strong lovely fasters — xx

Whoop whoop Jade!You have crossed to the dark side with veggie soup..and the real genius part is that you know it makes you feel better.
    My son has a serious girlfriend and I don’t see much of him, the occasional family meal when he usually has his jacket on, but on a day off I was sure that he was slimmer and so I asked. He says that he felt that cutting out sugar was a good thing to do for his health. They haven’t cottoned on about the lentils and hopefully they won’t for some time, certainly fill you up too.

This recipe for the Peanut Butter is by Phil Daoust. It is a total of 450g roasted unsalted peanuts in a food processor(I blitzed them smaller amounts), blitz add half a tablespoon of groundnut oil and then blitz again and then add some another half a tbsp of oil and blitz again.Salt or honey can be added to taste. I didn’t think it needed any salt at all, but ended up adding 3 tbsp of honey in total, and a bit more oil to make it smooth enough to spread on bread/toast.Store it in a jar and keep in the fridge. Next time I think that I would make it with 1 less tbsp of honey, but I think it is trial and error to suit your own taste.

Night All!

I finished this successful nfd with a big chef salad w/ half an avocado on the side. Very tasty!

Annette – Your peanut butter sounds delish.

Jade – Way to put your inner lizard in its place.

Goal for tomorrow:
    Save my Fri breakfast for lunch & stay in TDEE!

Strength to my fellow Kraken fighters!

Helen-I loved the song. But I have put on 10 lb each of the past 2 years in the last 2 weeks of December, and then spent the next 6 months trying to repair the damage. I adore mince pies, Christmas cake and pudding.This year that will change and rather than deciding that I am having a break from the 5:2(which I think is bonkers now)I am going to keep with this way of life and fit in two FD in that festive week as well.

I am hoping that by reducing the sugar and processed food in my diet, that I will simply find all those things too sweet, so will only want a little. But I have bought a teeny Christmas cake(rather than make a big one and then eat it covered in icing and marzipan which I love) and will buy a box of mince pies rather than make tons and eat loads. I think that I am a bit like a recovering addict, I need support!

I am menopausal, with mood swings and difficulty sleeping which has been epic, but I am sleeping better and feel that my mood is also much calmer so that is rather wonderful.I think that sugar turns me into a mad woman looking for her next sugar fix!

Michell…I no longer feel like a kraken fighter because I feel so much better without eating that stuff. Never thought that would happen to me. Try a small very ripe mashed avocado spread on 2 slices of wholemeal toast, I have it for lunch on a NFD and it is delicious and very filling.

This week I have not logged what I have eaten or thought about the TDEE. I have just avoided the processed food where I can and added beans/lentils to our meals, simply to see if I thought that I felt better and fuller. I have and so it has been much easier to avoid snacking on anything other than whole fruit or nuts.Dried fruit made me shaky and sent my blood sugar into orbit, never had that experience before and I felt awful.Lesson learned.

FD for me today and still full from last nights meal. More clothes to charity as they are either sliding off my shoulders or have become too plunging simply because the fat on my shoulders and back has disappeared.Jeans are sliding down and baggy which is brilliant.

I’ve got one of those family centric weekends coming up with big meals Friday and Saturday nights and house guests – and have been a good dieting girl all week in anticipation of my slightly too tight dress for Saturday. It started last night with a modest ice cream and ended with a bottle of Sauvignon blanc and a late night cheese party – quel dommage (frommage?). Thinking back and considering what Annette has been posting lately many of my rampages have started with sugar. I am going to try for a sugar free week next (including alcohol) and see what happens? Annette congrats on jeans – an excellent moment to be treasured.

Watch out for the hidden sugar,it is literally everywhere. Anything that claims to be low fat is full of sugar, so go for the full fat option. Homemade tomato sauce is easy/cheap and quick to make as I learned yesterday. Avoid jar sauces and any processed meat. Homemade pizza is so much nicer and easy too.

Aim for wholegrain bread, brown rice and pasta, cheese, milk,cream, whole fruit and vegetables and put beans/lentils in meals where you can. The fibre helps with both feeling full and keeping the insulin levels steady. Snack on nuts, whole almonds with the skin on are very good for you.

I am very interested to see how the week goes for you, with both food choices and how you feel.

Thanks. Jeans are showing me very clearly where I am shrinking.Next goal is getting those elusive pink linen shorts looking good zipped up, I have only had them for 2 years and never been worn!

clothes bought in the spirit of optimism and never worn are major guilt trips for me – being able to wear them is a major high – justifies your optimism – you got there. It’s also good to have a clear goal !

Interested to know how folks here set there goals, how do you know when you’re there?

Clothes sizing is never consistent between clothes in the same shop, never mind across the high street, so I have generally taken it all with a pinch of salt. I enjoy seeing the changes,from the dress that I couldn’t do up and breathe in January(that I could wear the summer before), mind you I was 10 lb heavier post Christmas scoffing, to that same dress that is too big all over now. Very sad, I loved that dress!
    I watch my nighties get longer and realize that less fat is keeping them short. Long sleeves in dresses that were tight and are now loose, discovering that I have a waist, the rolls of back and side fat disappearing, getting teeny tiny abs, discovering that I now have some muscle definition on my upper arms, legs that have more definition, thighs no longer rubbing together, getting smaller bras, clothes looking too big etc.
    The lightest that I have ever been on the 5:2 is 10st 2lb which was a year ago before the festive mistake, so that is 1 goal, then getting to 10 st will be a ear ring reward moment as I haven’t been that for 30 years…then there is the weight of less than half my height-couple of inches to go but really must get someone to check my height!Let’s not forget the feat of weighing something that starts with a 9(a high 9, but one nonetheless) to be a better weight for my height.
    Another goal is to eat like a normal person and just enjoy without scoffing. I have given up the secret eating, can walk in a shop and not buy anything sweet, can cook for others on a FD and not sneak any…so the possibilities are endless.
    With clothes and fitting into them, that is an achievement that can be measured, but attitude is a slower change for me.
    What does everyone else do?
    I think that having lots of mini goals works for me

Hi everyone!

Hope you are all well.

Annette – I watched a Lusting lecture on youtube several months ago have found that it does help to imagine the effect that multipack of doughnuts is going to have on my pancreas. I very rarely drink now having realised I was drinking to excess in that past, so the analogy with alcohol poisoning certainly hit home. Since watching that video, I can confidently say that I have not bought a multipack of doughnuts. However, sometimes the knowledge of what I am doing to myself simply is not enough to stop the lizard claws reaching for those packs of jellybeans (although I have at least managed to restrict myself to buying one large pack rather than two). It is good to be reminded of it and the science behind it – thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I haven’t fasted properly for a while as I start to get quite depressed at this time of year (I have one sun lamp on my desk at work and another on the kitchen table), which makes me a lot more vulnerable to bingeing. I have been concentrating on trying to eat for the good of my mental health – lots of veg, bananas, avocados, nuts etc. As I type this I have blueberries and green tea in front of me. “Fake it til you make it” has worked in other areas of life for me, why not also having a healthy relationship with food?

I have also decided to treat the lizard brain like a naughty toddler. For lunch I have been bringing two sandwiches instead of one so that when lizard wakes up mid-afternoon, I can tell him quite truthfully there is food in the lunch box, he doesn’t have to wait even five minutes to go to the shops, why doesn’t he just eat that? Similarly I have a bar of posh dark chocolate in my sewing box which HAS BEEN THERE FOR A WHOLE WEEK. If i feel the need to binge at home – there’s the chocolate, go right ahead lizardy liz, eat it all up. To which lizard brain replies “but I don’t want dark chocolate” and I can then reply “there is a perfectly good bar of chocolate there, if you don’t want that then we are certainly not going to the shop to buy different chocolate”.

Genuis Melb about the chocolate. I am a complete fan of Lustig(hope that I have hidden it well!)I find the grey days tough too. Can I suggest that you try and get some beans/lentils into your day? They have filled me up and I think keeping my insulin low has helped me feel better. I wonder if there are different things that you could take to work for that afternoon snack. Have you tried homemade hummus and some carrots etc to dip into?If you like peanut butter then try the very simple recipe, it feeds my soul as well as my tummy and as it has 3 ingredients and took minutes to make, it is a real winner.
    Perhaps it might be better to just concentrate on eating whole foods and ditch those jelly beans which are pure sugar, rather than fasting. When you feel better then you can again, but in the interim you are taking care of both your body and your mind.
    I wonder if wholegrain bread, cheese,butter, cream,lentils/beans,unprocessed meat, vegetables, fruit, milk, brown rice and pasta etc every day might just help your mental health. I certainly noticed a difference in my son when he is depressed and the effect food seems to have. Not scientific at all, but I am convinced. Why not try it for a week and see how you feel?

Such great advice here today – love you all.

Michel, sounds as though you had a terrific week – congrats! The meals you describe sound so much better than the processed junk that has tempted me this week. I confess I fell victim to “biscuits” (cookies) last night.

Welcome back Melb, so good to see you again. I wish you luck in your seasonal battle. Psychology is such a complex thing. Brilliant approach to take extra “good” food to hush that lizard.

I am still feeling flat, not sure why but I am learning to roll with it. I think it is the natural biorhythm cycle to expect (if that’s even still a thing). Not going for another FD this week, but focus on good nutrition. A good dose of Dr. Lustig can’t hurt either – thanks Melb for the link!

So Noseinbook, my goals shift – right now, my bigger goal is beating the sugar lizard. Like Annette’s son, I’m sure the weight will follow. The goal weight I have is my weight long ago before I started dieting, and it’s tantalizingly within reach.

Annette, I love hearing about your victories – you are finding them in nooks and crannies and it has broadened my thinking to look beyond the scale also. Heading to the store in a bit and will def get some lentils for this lovely soup I’m making. I’m pleased to report that I am officially too small for my clothes – even though the scale hasn’t changed much. Not sure where that part of me has gone! But anyway, it’s time to visit the tailor or get some new work slacks. Funny thing about jeans, they shrink to fit no matter what, but at least I don’t have to lie down to zip them now!

Good luck in whatever your goals today, Fast Club. I am happy to have you all here on the island with me <3 xx

Whoop whoop Jade. Great to hear that you are too small for your clothes! It doesn’t matter where it has gone from just as long as it has gone. Just been out walking with my friend on this gloomy grey day when we are both feeling flat, and I was telling her about Lustig. We talked for hours about food as we walked and I am on a FD, but it was fine and she told me a recipe that I wanted to share with you all. To make carrot and coriander soup, chop half and onion and fry until soft, add 4 peeled and chopped carrots, a bunch of coriander-stalks and all, then pour over on 500ml of vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Blitz in a food processor or with hand blender. Serve. BUT I think that you could get some red or green lentils cooking first, while you prep the carrots and then you could add lentils to the soup before you blitz it. This would make it more filling and nutritious and I will be trying it tomorrow.

Whew! I listened to Dr. Lustig’s bio-chem lecture. I already knew sugar was bad but somehow feel smarter now for seeing someone like him explain it. Even if I didn’t understand it. I’m a bit confused about why I’m such an on-again off-again sugar craver when I don’t drink sugar at all (not even in coffee) – I guess because it’s in all our food.

I have my huge pot of soup simmering on the stove, with every veg I could find in fridge and freezer, some top sirloin, broth, and lentils – perfect! They are just the right size to sneak in, no screaming “beans in here!” which would make hubs run for the door. He just said it was the best soup he ever tasted. HA. And I need to remember my stick blender for other soups – the carrot-coriander sounds nice. Looking forward to a fall full of wonderful soup πŸ™‚
    xx – happy friday all

Afternoon Fast Clubbers!

I elected to have grilled catfish for lunch. Would have been a great decision except I let a man choose my sides. He brought back clam chowder, mac-n-cheese and green beans filled w/ bacon. At least it was “sugar free”. πŸ™‚

Everyone is doing so good and making such great progress. I’m so happy for all of you.

Keep up the good work!

Is the crystal lite history Jade?

LOL, Michel – side dishes only a man would choose! Each one sounds like a meal. But right, sugar free, look on the bright side I always say.

Man I cannot get a THING past you Annette πŸ™‚ Yep, my crystal light supply is finally gone. I used very little actually, one of those mini-packets (to mix with 16 oz) would last for days. But now I have a super huge bag of limes and lemons, and the only other thing I add to water is coffee and, when I remember to buy it, cream. No milk for me, I can’t do much dairy, but cream has less lactose and boy is it good. And yogurt works too, as the cultures help digest the lactose or something.

It is really fun to see all the progress here – keep it up, friends! xx

Ha!
    Try this Jade.By Phil Daoust. Make your own yoghurt(no sugar!!!) You just need a saucepan, a thermos flask and a thermometer. Take one small pot of organic, plain live yoghurt and let it come to room temperature. Heat 500 mls of any milk up to 85C in a suacepan, stir it occasionally and then let it cool to 46C, then whisk or stir in 3 tablespoons of the live yoghurt(3tbsp/500 mils). Pour it into a warmed Thermos flask and screw down the lid. Leave for 8 hours. Transfer to a jar with a lid and store in the fridge.
    It is lovely with meusli or fruit….and no sugar.

The craving thing is that humans are hard wired to seek sugar. I have found that concentrating on whole foods I am feeling much much better, Trying to put lentils or beans in a meal every day is keeping us all fuller for longer, the desire to snack is diminished and I do think that my mood swings are history.It has only been a week I know, but this is a much better way of looking at food.

I am trying to slim down one overweight son by stealth. He is very resistant to change, but likes the yoghurt and now that I won’t buy fruit yoghurt he is going to add some fresh fruit to the homemade yoghurt. He much prefers the brown rice, is happy to try the wholewheat pasta and claims that he doesn’t like beans or lentils, but and hasn’t identified red lentils in 3 of his meals this week!

How is everyone getting on?
    Loved the comments about the man choosing the sides, that made me laugh out loud!

Loving the lentils – they add some “je ne sais quoi” (literally, no one knows they’re in my soup!).

I’ve ordered the Fat Chance cookbook, figured why not, it explains the science also, but I’m about scienced out – already a convert, so it’s time to be more creative with meals.

Speaking of which, the new buzz on sirtuin superfoods is interesting. I refuse to get too geeky about it, but it can’t hurt to throw these in the basket. The lists online vary but include kale, green tea, olives/oil, miso soup/tofu, omega-3 foods (salmon, e.g.), resveratrol foods (red grapes/wine, dark chocolate), onions, capers, parsley. Yum, fix me an onion-kale-salmon smoothie πŸ™‚ (kidding, these foods are great, just maybe not in the same glass).

Annette I LOVE plain yogurt, especially greek. I’ll give that homemade a try. Costco sell a good plain greek so I always have plenty on hand. Loving their red grapes too. Now there’s a smoothie! Though I prefer just eating it in a bowl.

Stay strong fast club, we’re all on the path to better health. xx

Fabulous Jade about the lentils but don’t drink fruit and vegetables, because you will lose the fibre and consume too many sweet fruits at a time(you might consume 3/4 at a go, but might eat one or two whole fruits). The fibre is very important for keeping the insulin levels low and whole fruits do this very well and regulate how much fruit(sugar) we consume too. Something about creating a mesh that slows down the transfer of glucose to the liver, so we feel fuller for longer and avoid that sugar spike. I am not as eloquent as Lustig but that much I know is very very important.Don’t blitz fruit and veg to drink…eat them whole.

I didn’t know that there was a cookbook, I’ll have a look at that. Thanks.Interested to see what you think of the homemade yoghurt I made it 1 day, left it overnight and hey presto!

Jeans have been too big and baggy for a while now, sliding down when I bent down with my hips keeping them up. I think that they look stupid, and now I am a size smaller!!!!Very pleased and now these ones look like my last ones did when I first got them.

I have some homemade soup sitting in my fridge and will be adding some cooked lentils to it tomorrow, which should fill me up on a FD. How is the bingeing Jade?

Super congrats on the loose jeans – you’ve really reduced when denim won’t shrink to fit! Your loss is charity’s gain – better go shopping before you start flashing your backside πŸ™‚

And no worries, I am way too lazy to make smoothies or juices. Occasionally I dream of milkshakes, but again…too lazy. Lucky for MY backside I can’t eat ice cream. I know there are ways to regain lactose tolerance, but I’ve kicked those cravings and feel fine (I do take calcium supps).

At the risk of getting voted off the island, I confess… I don’t binge anymore. I still overeat at times, but learning to ignore hunger (for however long each day) has created some badass control, or at least the illusion of it.

Except over the biggest, baddest lizard of them all, Sugar. But I just want to torture him, not kill him. So I’m bopping him with unprocessed foods, lentils, leptin, daily lizard put-downs, whatever is handy. Maybe one day this will all feel normal, and I can have my piece of pie without growing fangs. In the meantime, I’ll carry on acting normal. So shh, don’t tell anyone I’m not πŸ™‚ xx

I don’t binge either.I did have an Almond Croissant yesterday and I can’t remember the last time and I did enjoy it, BUT it didn’t taste as wonderful as it did in my head. I intend to enjoy the odd cake from time to time too, but I want control of when I choose, not my messed up endocrine system causing havoc with my mood and body.

My shopping trolley now looks all green and leafy. There are many aisles that I just no longer go up, no point, I’m not buying anything from there anymore. Food shopping is much quicker no that I have identified what will not be coming home with me.

A sort out of the kitchen cupboards and freezer is in progress with food that will be eaten and not replaced or that which will simply be ditched. Quite cathartic. Menu planning for the week has taken moments which is also brilliant too.

Any difference in your mood?

Hi folks,

I haven’t got long and haven’t managed to catch up on all the posts but I just wanted to say that’s fantastic Jade and Annette… that’s a huge achievement and something I wanted to hear.

Jade do you still skip breakfast? what else do you think has helped stop that “oh s*d it, let’s eat the entire loaf and the frozen chocolate cake” brain?

Annette, same question to you, if you were to summarise?

MCCA I find treating non fast days in a similar way to a fasting day helps. Having a plan helps, i.e lunch at 1 (or for me 3pm- that’s my bingey time so I now make lunch that time). I also overeat on veggies… just to fill the in-between gaps. I am by no means an expert, but for me, there is no point thinking ok day off… I can eat πŸ™‚ I try to think of it more as a self love day and if I can, I go out for cake (or whatever it is I fancy) and savour it with friends. Just my pennies worth, but for me, I still need a structured plan not an all you can eat day. I think your problem is a common one, please keep us posted on how it goes. Also, not great but coffee is my saviour and walks… they help lift my mood more than food (well as much as). Another tip… I have been having a handful of almonds in the am….this seems to stop me going wild if exposed to any goodies if I’m feeling flat.

Best of luck to you all. x

The science behind sugar by Dr Robert Lustig is compelling. He argues that sugar messes up our biochemistry and keeps us craving sugar.The other key approach is to increase the fibre as it both fills us up and keeps us full for longer, but also slows down the transfer of sugar to our liver which helps stop an increase in insulin and the creation of fat. As sugar is in so much of our food and drinks the only way to reverse this is to avoid processed food and eat whole foods-wholegrain bread,unprocessed meat, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, beans, vegetables, fruit, nuts, cream, butter and milk.
    This week we have had brown rice which is delicious and so very filling, and I have started using beans and lentils. I am rather embarrassed that I am learning what beans are best in what, but in experience I can hide cooked red lentils in bolognaise and curry sauce. I have made my own tomato sauce for meatballs(the sugar in the jars is very high)I have made my own chocolate spread and peanut butter, and plain yoghurt to see what they are like. They are all scrumptious. My focus has changed to concentrate on whole foods for every meal, almonds/fruit in between and beans/lentils wherever I can. I usually cook from scratch but I think that the lentils have made the biggest impact(you need to cook them first for approx 30 mins before you add them to other things). You may well find that your mood improves, Queen as well. I feel better and on a more even keel rather than sugar driving me to have more, every time my sugar level plummets. I have to say that feeling fuller for longer really works. I usually have breakfast except on a FD when I don’t. FD have also been much easier as I have felt full all morning from the evening before.I snack on whole almonds with there skins on, very partial to a peeled carrot too. My focus is just on whole food, avoid processed and chuck lentils in anything and everything with some beans as well, if I think it looks OK.

Well I’m a total sham. Today despite waiting until noon then having a nice meal of lentil soup and some yogurt and grapes, I then had peanut butter on wholegrain bread, more grapes, then finally some little chocolate-toffee wafer cookies. I just kept snacking, over the course of about 3 hours. I wasn’t really still hungry, but felt so UNSATISFIED. Plus I have to work at home today, and that’s my most vulnerable state of being πŸ™‚

All I can say is that it doesn’t happen every day. Funny how it happens the minute I’m feeling all “wow I’m so cured!” Oh my, I have to laugh – and we have plans to eat dinner out soon. I’m finally not hungry, so I’ll probably just pick at my dinner, at a lovely Indian restaurant. #lizardbrain

Gotta look on the bright side – it’s just one day. I am going for a walk now to clear out the lizards and enjoy the bit of remaining light. xx

Hahaha Jade, I laughed out loud when I read “Funny how it happens the minute I’m feeling all β€œwow I’m so cured!”. For me the answer is to avoid making all or nothing (“I always” “I never”) statements relating to anything involving volition πŸ˜‰ Call me suspicious, but I think the ancient Greeks were on to something when they coined the term hubris, as nemesis is never far behind.

Well done everyone on managing motivations to eat as best you can. It’s definitely not one-size-fits-all so don’t be down on yourself if something worked last week but won’t cut it today. Some days, it wouldn’t matter how much my smart brain could tell me about the health benefits of certain foods/choices and if it were that easy, there wouldn’t be so much real estate on Misfit Island. Humans are notoriously complicated and it’s what makes us so endlessly fascinating to study!

Congratulations on the shrinking body Annette. Are you still running btw?

Nose, about setting goals, my current goal is to see my grand children grow up and graduate (I don’t have any grand children as yet!) so I have a lot of mini-goals that will get me there and one is to move out of the obese range – I’m almost ‘overweight’ πŸ˜‰ – and then from there into a healthy weight range. I still have a long way to go for the latter one, but I have come a long way and I try to focus on that as well.

Hugs to you {{{Melb}}} I’ve had a few experiences with SAD but it sounds like you know what works for you. I love your ‘small child’ analogy and it’s one my psychologist friend has used recently.

Michell I’m almost jealous – if I’d only eaten what the man in my life brought to the table, I wouldn’t have a weight problem at all! I know, many would think I should just be grateful πŸ˜‰

Queen, a great plan with the almonds. I usually carry an emergency ration of 10 almonds and I’m always amazed how far I can go on them, they’ll usually tide me over for a good couple of hours. I love the ‘self-love’ day idea too and if there was something I gleaned from the ‘binge over brain’ book, for me it was to stop telling myself there was something ‘wrong’ with me that needed fixing and to accept myself warts and all – self-compassion has got to be part of that.

And a quick shout out to kitty, fizzy, mcca, Helen and penguin – hope you’re all travelling well?

Okay all, I’m back to work on this FD. It’s ‘lunch time’ so time for lots of mineral water with lemon. Yum. Spring xx

Oh Spring, you’ve got that right! As soon as I wrote the words, I started to feel all lizardy. What in the effing hell…. Glad I can come here, confess and be accountable. No telling where I’d be if I still had to sneak doughnuts into the house. And f’ing great, now I’ve cursed myself to the doughnut lizards. Note to self: shut it.

OK, Miss FU is heading for the hay before I get in any other food trouble. FD for me tomorrow with a good stiff kick up the backside. xx
    ps: Dear awol islanders, come back and join the fun – we miss you!

Hi Jade and co,

Jade I’m sorry to hear you fell into the lizard brain.. I think working from home is hard for anyone. I read an article about a chap who was overweight and worked from home, he lost all his weight by having one meal a day, that way food was out of his thoughts for the day and he could sit and eat with his family in the evening and have dessert. That was his way of coping, and it worked for him, but my point in mentioning this is (ironically he was IF in a way.. although he didn’t limit his kcal at that meal time) that it is tough. To think that any of us will suddenly stop liking food is wrong and I apologise, I hope my post was’ a bit of a “trigger. You are doing brilliantly and I think I quoted to you all before, reading on some of the evidence based literature, those who had been overweight and continued to maintain a healthy weight still had days whereby they overate, but the difference was they “got back on it” asap. I must admit I so join you on the weirdness of psychology of the lizard, the “yep i’m fine and cured (like my searching the supermarket for a few goodies in moderation to keep at home, or the I’m fine with ten loaves of white bread sitting on the side mentality) then PMT, a random moment, boredom, stress and nom nom. I’m not cured.

My husband said something that was so true, stop thinking, just do, I tend to overanalyse.

Your post made me think about all the bread in the house, I have a day by myself with my child and I’ve had four days when the bread hasn’t occurred to me. Yet I know from experience, days with my child can be exhausting and when I reflect I rarely get past the 3pm without raiding everything in the house! I have ti remind myself although it’s wasteful, my brain when exhausted will reach for anything that’s there. Yet at the moment i feel great and don’t fancy it at all.

Annette, I do agree with Lustig for sure, especially where sweet drinks are concerned. Sugar avoidance is important of course, by I notice if I have something, anything in too large a quantity, I’m undoubtedly more likely to overeat later.

Penguin, yes where are you? your porridge idea for a FD was brilliant, I have even thought of adding some protein powder to make it a bit more “nourishing”. Please keep in touch if you aren’t busy.. You gave us all great insight.

Comespring, your goals are brilliant. They are real and important. Sometimes I need a short term one too though, even though the importance of the long term one is obviously great!

Also guys a success story, i have a beautiful friend who once weighed over 15 stone. She didn’t purposely do IF, but ended up doing her own version of it. She now loves healthy food but says she even has to be careful with food generally, she says she is aware that she will always love it and will always have the propensity to overeat and she watches herself every day… as soon as she gets up she plans her day, and considers food within that plan. She says she is scared of being obese again and she now says she is so much more resilient as she can no longer use food to hide from life, it’s just not an option. She says the fear of being huge is enough to make her think, just because I’m slim doesn’t stop me from going back down that path. She is really strong actually and very assertive, I have been to places where she has refused cake etc and very openly says “no thank you” and when questioned further she just says “I don’t eat that” and if anyone asks her more questions she just considers it rude. She is my hero πŸ™‚ but she is mindful every day, and although that sounds like hard work, it’s actually made her, as I said, very resilient. Back to your point Annette, she now doesn’t touch anything with sugar in it, but she also says she doesn’t give herself unlimited access to things like almond butter as she says she never feels full so she will only eat portioned off amounts. She does loads of yoga too. Just sharing her story. She lost the weight three years ago (I think, certainly it’s been a couple of years) and she says she will never let herself return to it. She doesn’t eat white bread, pasta, any type of cereal or any sugar.

Good luck to all. Focus on the good, what is working for you, and don’t let the lizard whisper.. and he does then listen to him and just say “oh bog off” then get on with your day. I find actively fighting with him makes me more anxious. Just accepting he will probably appear seems helpful.

Good luck

J

Hey Fast Club!

OK my big news – I have been following the fast diet (on and off) now for A YEAR. Here is my progress report. Overall I am 24lbs down (it was 25, but up 1 lb today) which equates to about a 0.5 lb /week average… so well below the 1-2lb one should get, but I am not complaining – it’s off, it’s staying off, this is 11.5 months longer than I usually stick to any ‘diet’ or eating plan.

I’m really happy and astonished with this progress. Goodness knows I’ve fallen off the wagon enough times over the year, but clearly have been heaving myself back on again somehow.

ALSO – since reading that Brain over Binge book – I HAVE NOT HAD AN UNCONTROLLABLE BINGE. Note I don’t think it is a kind of “one size fits all read this and you loose weight” book – HOWEVER it has performed a miracle for me which is to stop me having those horrible cat-chocolate-eating binges where I just eat everything in sight, beyond the point where I am hungry, just feeling compelled to shovel things in. Yes I still like to eat fattening food but I think I feel (dare I say it) more like a ‘normal’ person around food – like a normal person, I have to make food choices, I have to monitor how much rubbish I eat, but I feel that the COMPULSION to ram things into my mouth has subsided, which is just AMAZING to be free of.

Queen did you ever try this book? I know that as our trailblazer you said you end up really overeating and I wonder if it could help you too.

Jade – I was so happy for you when you also said you felt like maybe you weren’t bingeing anymore. I read your account of your ‘slip up’ where you said you snacked for about 3 hours – but it sounded more like overeating than bingeing to me, no? I think liking food and having to be mindful and aware is going to be a lifelong challenge for all of us – just a matter of lugging yourself back onto the wagon and accepting that we’re all going to have days we eat more than we should. And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for suggesting the no-breakfast club. That is just brilliant. Once I got my head around not having breakfast the day after a FD, it’s just been so helpful. I am a fully paid up member of the no breakfast club now. Limiting my eating window has got to be helping things.

Annette – thanks for all the information on Dr Lusting. I am sure the white stuff sets off things in my brain. We all know it is bad for us and I definitely think reducing sugar is a good thing however if I tell myself I am giving it up I know this will be a cue for me to go and try to find as much as I can of the stuff!

Hello to MelB, Noseinabook, Spring, Michell, Helen, Penguin and anyone else who hasn’t posted in a while.. all of you ladies are AMAZING and I am so thankful I found this forum and everyone so open and honest and willing to share… I look forward to opening my emails EVERY MORNING to find out what you guys are up to (even though I am rubbish at posting myself, I read you lot like a NEWSPAPER every day!!!!) Love to you all, I am so happy today, I am sure I could not have completed this year without this forum, THANK YOU Queen for starting it!!!!!!!! xxxx

Wow, that’s such WONDERFUL news mcca!!!!!
    Thank you so much for starting another party on Misfit island!!! πŸ™‚
    I’m definitely celebrating with you, with a few imaginary glasses of bubbly then tomorrow when I drink the real thing I’ll raise my glass to your success all over again!!! πŸ™‚ Such a great story of determination and perseverance and DOING IT week after week and you should be SO proud of yourself and we can be proud of you too, dear mcca. It is so good that you have found an important key – sounds like THE key – for your binges and that is such a gift, thanks for sharing.

Queen, I’m with you on the ‘all food has the potential’ as it’s much more about LOVING it and not being able to stop. I learned when I was on the Atkins diet many years ago that the main reason I ever ate carbs was as a vehicle for FAT – I adore butter dripping off hot toast, creamy sauces on pasta, cheese on crackers. I’m just as happy to leave out the carbs & simple sugars altogether but I’ve found it doesn’t impact on my ability to switch off. That (as your amazing friend shows so well) require daily mindfulness and that’s the hard bit for me. Ah well, at least I know what the solution is for me, as opposed to being in the dark.

Jade – be gentle on that (diminishing) backside of yours!! I’m far from out of the woods this FD as we have adorable things like 6 different cheeses and fresh smoked salmon in the fridge that’s left over from a weekend party, so I need to be ever-vigilant for lizards too!

Keep the wonderful stories coming my dear fasting friends, Spring xx

I’m trying to use a target to motivate myself, after spending my adult life yoyo-ing between 10ish to 12ish with sometime into 13 stone’ish in the last year following 5:2 I’m now 9 stone 8, and I’m wondering wether to go for 9 stone but feel a bit unsure about my remaining will power and a bit put off by the baggy skin that’s been left behind. I’m 5’2″ so I’m still quite cuddly ? But at 1 month from 58 yrs old (gulp) do I need to ‘go for it’. I’m off to Gambia in 4 weeks time so 4 weeks – 8 lb ? I know I’m rambling around but that’s where my brain is!

Ps I think it’s all a bit seasonal too. Macca well done you, it’s the longest I’ve ever stuck with a way of eating too (notice avoidance of the d word).

Spring I salute you and all you lovely ladies ??

Thank you all for the encouragement!!! Love you to bits. Not much time for a long post but must send a few shout outs.
    Mcca HUGE congrats to you, what wonderful and steady progress, and I am personally sending out a lizard death stare to any who would tempt you. A year is it?! Brilliant. Just amazing.
    Queen, thank you for helping me think through all of this. You nailed a few things that I feel exactly as you – I think we must be twins.
    Spring, good luck avoiding the party goodies in the fridge. Another twin, as carbs are def a the vehicle for the really good stuff. Lest I write the names and then immediately want them, I’ll stop now πŸ™‚
    Nose, I say go for it, but don’t let the scale be your goal. Just let 5:2 and tdee be the goal. Your cuddly self will shift a bit and you’ll be even cuter before your trip. But the scale is run by lizards – pinning a 2# a week goal to yourself sounds like lizard hash.
    Gotta run – xxxxxxxxx

So here I am, halfway through a FD, not a care in the world for sugar. How can I be addicted to something like that?? All I know is that on some days, nothing else will do. I try eating good protein, veg, fruit, honestly I could eat enough beans to power my way across the Atlantic with just a sail, but I would still want the sugary thing.

I want to know why that happens. Does it not happen to you anymore Annette? If I have to just stop eating sugar, period, for however long to rid myself of my sugar dependence, I will do it.

But I’m confused about what is “sugar” – plain yogurt has natural sugar in it. That’s not part of the problem Lustig talks about, is it? And when it comes to whole-grain bread, isn’t it all sweetened with something? Even honey would seem to have the same effect (biochemically) as any other sugar. I can cut out the sweet stuff, but I don’t want to spend the rest of my life avoiding all sugars. I’d honestly occasionally rather go insane the way I did yesterday and tamp that down with a fast.

Anyway, it’s a great day to be on the Island – no matter what, I’m healthier than I was 6 months ago! Keep on keepin on…. xx

Afternoon Fast Clubbers!

Mcca – I’m so happy for you! Congrats on your success.

Annette – You are an inspiration and apparently a sneaky cook.

Nose – You have had great success, congratulations! Why not go for it? Keep riding the success train.

Queen – I find I always need a plan, too. No “day off” for me either. They all end in disaster.

Keep up the good work!

That is a lot of questions Jade.
    I suppose that part of the reason that I no longer crave the sweet stuff is that I have been reducing my consumption since January when I cut down the tea habit and then became aware that sugar was making me feel rubbish when I had a pudding or cake. I am quite stubborn though and tested this theory several times! I became aware that as the months passed I was no longer buying sweet stuff and chocolate to hide it and then enjoy on my own. I realized that the secret eating was stopping in part because I knew that I felt better without the sweets/chocolate and I was then less likely to seek those things out. I was sure that I was addicted to sugar and wanted to be free of that monkey controlling my mood and actions. I am no paragon of virtue and love to bake cakes, but I am baking once a week, rather than twice a week and starting to reduce the sugar in the cakes too.It is also very early days for you Jade.
    I am down to half a teaspoon of sugar in my tea now and although I can’t say I enjoy it, I am getting used to it. I put in a whole teaspoon the other day and found it too sweet(never thought that would happen)so I think that changing habit along with a belief that the change will be of a long term benefit is what drives me on.A bit like the 5:2 really, I thought that it sounded sensible and would be good for my health, so I had faith that there would be a long term benefit to my health and there has been. Plus I have just bought some size 10 jeans that fit like a glove-very pleased.

It is hard though to know what to do when food advice seems to change on a daily basis and we have all been brainwashed into believing that fat is the baddy. I do think that Lustig is right that sugar is the really bad guy. I will have a look in his book and get back to you.

Evening All!

I managed a successful FD.

I wish I could say “I’m getting smaller or the weight is coming off” but, I’m still stuck in the “gain & lose it cycle”.

Thanks for all the great posts. I’m going to try & focus on fresh, non-processed, food this week. Tonight was a sweet potato & salad for dinner.

Good luck everyone!

Woo hoo Michel, me too. Actually sucking on a lemon right now to chase out the evening lizards. The sour citrus taste is pleasant, and does kill a sweet tooth.

Annette, sorry to pound you with questions. I think I was a bit hyper still from my sugar dosing πŸ™‚ A good FD has righted me, so no need to answer all of them. Sheesh, I’m like a werewolf.

Daily mindfulness indeed, Spring. And Mcca, right – it was not a binge, just an incessant desire for sugar. I kept tossing nutritious snacks at it, but pffft. Finally gave in and fed it sugar. Had I not bought those silly cookies, I might have succeeded. Must stop telling big fibs to myself about why those things should be purchased.
    Good luck all – xxx jade
    ps: Michel, I bounce up and down for about 2 months, then another bit slips away. I’ve accepted being very slow at this.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.