I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 3,046 total)

• Thanks, Annette – and thanks Simcoeluv for the links. Great booster shot of info on sugar. I know it’s bad, but I need to remember how bad. Annette, does Dr. L advocate cutting down, not cutting out? I really don’t want to become an ascetic. But I do want to control the cravings and enjoy myself.

Congrats AND I’m sorry you’re losing your little black dress. You’ll have to check out the charity shop for a replacement in a smaller size πŸ™‚ But go you, the incredible shrinking woman.

Made it through a FD here, with a chicken stew full of veggies, just a tiny bit of rice to accompany. Do NOT tell me I can’t have rice, there will be a revolt. Anyway, it was good and I haven’t seen any wandering kraken, so something worked. Now if I just knew what…I’d be a millionaire. xx jade

Hello ladies,

I have heard of Lustig, particularly his “high fructose corn syrup” dislike.

You guys bring up an important point, as bingers we have to be careful to BAN anything, the psychological impacts of restriction are potentially… bingeing on that particular food. However, I certainly agree (I don’t like fizzy drinks, fortunately), that certain foods one can have, they don’t fill us up and they ultimately make (well for me personally) hungrier.

I have allowed myself to binge on sugar at times to see if I could get the binge mentality out of my system… it didn’t work for me. I agree not banning it outright is a good idea but perhaps focusing on more lovely protein veg rich foods and although I overeat it, finer quality chocolate doesn’t make my mood plummet like sweets etc do. I’m profanely stating the obvious.

Jadelark, your chicken stew sounds lovely… and Annette well done you, maybe a lovely new little black number for Christmas time/New Year parties ???

xx

I shall let you know when the book arrives.I have no desire to live in a sugar free world, but I do want to consume less and get rid of the kraken and lizard brain. I suspect that less sugar will help with that, but will write the book review when I have read it.
    There is a little black dress(another charity shop but) that is unwearable too. It is far to big across my shoulders and slips off all the time and is just too big all over. Never mind, true re-cycling in action.
    I had beef stew and rice for my FD lunch which was lovely and did fill me up. The problem was that I struggled in the evening. I will go back to a tin on leek and potato soup next week at 200 cals as i am on half term.
    Just bought my first medium bar of chocolate in months because I fancied it. It is an experiment to see how I get on. Will keep you posted on whether kraken and lizard win…or I do.

The chocolate lasted minutes and although was 114g the facts are all per 100g and make disappointing reading, so here goes..546 calories/55.4g sugar! Was is worth it? No! I would rather have a mashed avocado on toast, which is very tasty and would fill me up for hours. I just feel rather sad that I made that choice and I have yet to endure the sugar crash. Lesson learned and will not bother again anytime soon.

Annette, it will take more than one lizard to defeat you. I appreciate hearing how your struggles go, win or lose. Same with everyone, and thank you again Queen for your advice.

You both describe my feelings exactly – I don’t want to live in a sugar free world, I do want to figure out how to avoid lizards and kraken. I’m hoping that one day I can buy the bar of chocolate or bag of doughnuts and not have to eat it all. Sugar does that to me now, I guess. But there is hope we can kick that reaction/habit. xx

Ha! So you know that I am stubborn? I just want to eat like a normal person all of the time, but there is that gluttony that lurks just below the surface. I have been thining about all of the comments made on here which has made me reflect on my relationship with food. As a child, food was purely as a fuel, it wasn’t tasty and there was many a time that I sat at the table for hours refusing to eat cabbage/broccoli/cauliflower. I always vowed that I would never do that to my kids and i never have. The result is that they like all of the above and I don’t!
    As a child I never had pocket money but when I got money I would spend it all on sweets, a huge bag in 1 sitting with no off switch. Perhaps that was the start of it. My mother was no cook and seemed to be proud of the fact, so I left home unable to cook. Fell in love and married a man that could cook and liked to do so, but never had a handle on portion control and that skinny girl started to get curves. Had a
    baby that died from SIDS and the weight piled on through the subsequent 4 boys and found myself struggling to fit into very tight size 16 and too terrified to get near any scales. Got divorced and learned to cook good healthy food in correct portion sizes and lost 2 stone(I still have my 2 stone shoes-red patent Mary Janes). I was struggling to lose anymore weight and then found the 5:2 in January 2013 and both my weight/shape/attitude to food changed as the months passed. I am now a size 10/12 with a waist(whoopee) and curves in all of the right places and not many in the wrong. I love to cook and bake, but I also want to put that kraken and lizard in a box that I have control of opening. I suspect that sugar will have a great deal to do with that.

Wow you really have made some progress, Annette πŸ™‚ Not everyone can say they have 2-stone shoes (or red patent MJs for that matter). So many ups and downs involved in living, aren’t there…. Your strength is an inspiration.

On the smaller end of the inspiration scale, *I* managed to walk INTO the doughnut-selling grocery store after work and didn’t buy any. A lizard dropped by to say “they’re right over there,” but I really wasn’t that hungry so I popped him in the snout. I would feel good about that, but I really WASN’T hungry, so there was no sense of controlling anything. Hmmmmm…must ponder things like this. xxx

Well done Jade.I like the notion of you popping that lizard on the snout. I might borrow that when things get a bit wobbly here.
    I am not sure that hunger has much to do with it, but when I am tired, angry and lonely I am very vulnerable for scoffing almost anything.It is almost as if food will fix my mood, but it doesn’t.
    Complex isn’t it?

Hi everyone! Well it took a few days, but I’ve caught up with all the posts I’ve missed. You’ve all done so well.

Annette, I love the idea of 2 stone shoes! Well done for your brilliant progress.

I was going to fast yesterday, but on Monday evening I ate too late, not a proper meal obviously, but extra bread and peanut butter and biscuits (I enjoyed every mouthful!) so I’m fasting today instead.

Mint tea for breakfast, delicious!

This week I have started “May Cause Miracles”, a 6 week programme by Gabby Bernstein. The first three days have been about what fears you experience throughout the day, and she gives you affirmations and meditations to slowly change your mindset towards them. Hopefully I will deal with some fears about food and changing my attitude towards it and face the dreaded fear that things might change for the better!
    We’ll see how it goes.

Fruit tea for lunch, yummy!

Anyone else fasting today?

Oh, another book! These help so much. Helen please keep us posted how you get on with those steps. Sounds intriguing. The mind is a powerful thing.

I’m fasting today too. But I’m hungrier than usual — thanks to my insane decision yesterday not to eat when I wasn’t hungry. HA. The day before a FD, too. Talk about a miracle.

I was just thinking of another long-term habit of mine – pre-trip dieting. I would ALWAYS want to drop 5 lbs before a trip. I called it trip anorexia. So I’d diet like mad about 1-2 weeks out. And of course pigged out almost as soon as I got on the plane. WTF, I don’t know what I was even trying to accomplish. Anyway, 5:2 has broken that habit, thank heavens – it’s the first time I’ve stuck with any eating plan longer than a month.

How was that fruit tea? I’m having coffee with a tiny splash of cream. Delicious. I could eat the cup as well. xx

Trip anorexia could be called Christmas anorexia, or wedding anorexia, or party anorexia, or being a bridesmaid anorexia, or insert-name-of-event anorexia, no? Your new 5:2 mind has been powerful Jade, keep going!

I’ve been quite hungry today too, I had a pear at 3:30, then my tea at 5, and I even have enough calories left for a snack when I watch ‘The Apprentice’ later.

I like fruit tea, I tend to buy loads of varieties, but now I’ve decided to limit the choice to two or three. I only have probably three coffee a year though, and they are sugar laden ones from Starbucks or Costa. Can you get edible cups? You’d have to drink the coffee fast!

Oh, and I just painted my nails to distract me from biscuits, but I’ve painted them the colour of toffee.

Should have thought it through.

Get this book.
    It is by Dr Robert Lustig and called Fat chance the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease. It is by an american paediatric endocrinologist and is very readable. The Kraken and lizard feature too. I have just scan read it and will read it thoroughly but it explains what and why we binge and also what we can do to help ourselves to get better.
    Opening page’this book is for those of you who eat food. The rest of you are off the hook.’ Says it all really.

Jade-throw out the crystal light immediately.

Oh Helen, I’d be chewing on those nails already! Yum…toffee.

I’ll get that book Annette. I’ve read up on chemicals and I know the crystal light has to go πŸ™ But I sure do like a sweet drink, and ALL of them are on the naughty list. A/k/a the occasional treat list, lest we all go too crazy here. I’m not giving up anything yet.

So far today just a dab of yogurt and 1/3 an apple. Can’t seem to get through until dinner on these FDs anymore. But making do – we can do this if we think we can. xx
    ps WHERE is Michel? Unlike her to be silent this long. Hope all is OK.

Good Morning all (well it is here at least). I have the lard baton firmly in hand and had a successful FD Monday although Tuesday was a total wash which I will blame on finishing the ‘binge over brain’ book and snacking like a crazy thing while finishing it and immediately deciding that I had to rebel against the notion of restraint (particularly of the ‘just do it’ kind) and eat for Australia… The brain (MY brain) is indeed a powerful and often crazy thing.

It’s not all bad though as I did gain something from my $6.99 investment and that was to recognise that I have to do this my way as otherwise my inner 14-year-old b*tch’s tendency to Oppositional Defiant Disorder will ensure that I do exactly the opposite. It’s certainly true that I have to use my smart brain to deal with my eating but unfortunately the smart bit is generally useless in mounting a direct attack on the reptile and I have to use a stealth-bomber approach πŸ˜‰

Jade you’re a marvel and I’m with you on not wanting to be an aesthete. What exactly is crystal light though? I’m assuming it’s not a light version of crystal meth, otherwise it’s likely you’d have no appetite at all πŸ™‚ My whole long life has been about pre-something dieting and I’ve invariably failed at the first hurdle. 5:2 is the only thing that’s worked consistently so I’m going to stick with it and short-term goals be damned (she tells herself and means it).

Annette you just go from strength to strength – I love to read of your escapades. I dream of a little black dress although without surgery there won’t be a sleeveless version, a-la Audrey Hepburn, anytime soon.

I’ve also tried a ‘binge on something so I never want it again’ approach Queen but that has only ever backfired. Simple reptile-brain stuff I know but I’m a very slow learner.

Toffee-coloured nails?? πŸ™‚ Maybe food-grade toffee-flavoured nail polish could be a big seller Helen, a bit like those flavoured lip glosses from my misspent youth.

Okay well I have to get back to work and not procrastinate here with all of you lovely ladies. Strength and success to all fasting today, Spring xx

Oh Spring, I laughed out loud at you ‘eating for Australia’ while reading the brain book (she does talk about some delicious stuff). We do have us some strong-willed brains here on Misfit Island, don’t we. I’m right beside you too on the sleeveless dress – a good strong breeze and my arms double as sails. Whatever lovely muscles are in there have not been uncovered.

So the common theme of these books seems to be “habit” – now if I’d just truly heard Annette the first time SHE said that magic word, I suppose I’d have killed my inner lizard in one fell swoop. My progress comes in smaller packages I’m afraid. Or maybe my brain is just stubborn πŸ™‚

But I guess we really can form new habits by soldiering on? And it could be that my episodes of frozen cake are the exception to my new habit of eating like a non-lunatic. I’m going with that idea! We can do this Fast Club, let’s keep going. xx

Not habit according to Robert Lustig. He lays the blame at the food industry for packing foods with hidden sugar that makes us fat and unwell by disrupting the endocrine system which then doesn’t work as it should.We are not fat because we are lazy or hopeless, but because the endocrine system has been messed up by fructose.

I have only read a small piece of the book(work has got in the way) but it seems to make sense so far.

Foods to eat are brown ones(not chocolate) but wholemeal bread,pasta and rice.Fruit juice is a complete no no along with anything fizzy. Eat whole fruit and vegetables.

It could be that less sugar is causing less disruption and thus fewer binges….

Hi annette:

Somewhere in the book you will read that sugar is addictive (he states this in his lectures, and other research has confirmed it). So, just as if you are addicted to alcohol and drink too much of it you will get drunk, if you are addicted to sugar and eat too much of it you will get fat. With all of the other accompanying bad results, of course.

Hi,
    Yes, I have read elsewhere that rats would choose sugar over cocaine, which is both shocking and yet makes total sense.

He states that biochemistry drives gluttony and sloth which are not the cause but the result.It all seems to be down to insulin and that adults to day release double the amount of insulin for the same amount of glucose that they did 30 years ago.

It is a bit like cracking a mystery this. Thank goodness for Robert Lustig.

Hi annette:

Yes. We have been trained by the government and our doctors for the last 30+ years to eat low fat diets. Carbs were encouraged – the U.S. government even published pamphlets for diabetics telling them they must eat low fat, but it was alright to eat sugar.

Now that we have an obesity epidemic, which we now know results from eating high carb diets, and all that comes with it (heart disease, cancer, diabetes among others) it is very hard for people to get their minds around the idea they must eat natural fats for health, and stay away from processed carbs.

You can see the addictions to sugar and processed carbs everywhere on this site. Just look for binging after diet days and people that say they just can’t possibly go without their fill in the blank (chocolate, crisps, cake, cookies, etc.) and won’t do it. All very familiar comments to anyone that has worked with addicts of any kind.

Just because a substance is legal – think caffeine or nicotine – does not mean it is not addictive or harmful (although the jury is out on caffeine).

Afternoon Fast Clubbers!

My life has gone a little of the rails.
    I have a new office manager and she is very micro-managing. Something I don’t need after 23 yrs in the business. My emotions have been all over the map. The results have been crazy eating and a total disconnect from everything.

It’s a comfort to know y’all are out there when I get it together.

Here’s hoping you all have great success.

I was an 8 mug a day tea drinker(1 sugar) and despite my kids telling me to cut down, it was only when I saw a programme about how much caffeine was in tea that I reduced it to 3/day. I didn’t realize that I would be saving 35 tsp sugar/week. I then noticed that after a pudding at work I felt dreadful in the afternoon, tired and craving more sugar. As an experiment I gave up puddings and biscuits for a week…and felt so much better, almonds tasted much sweeter, in fact everything did now that my taste buds were no longer soaked in sugar!

The real challenge is not the sugar that we can see, but the stuff that we can’t. I am feeling very hopeful that I can make more improvements in what we eat and hopefully trim a bit more off the body at the same time. My goal is to maintain a healthy weight for my height and if getting that sugar monkey off my back is what I have to do, then I am happy to do just that. Giving up the white stuff in my tea is proving rather harder, but then Rome wasn’t built in a day.

It’s lovely to see you Michell, especially so when you need a bit of support so please don’t wait till you get it together – if we all did that there’d only be simcoeluv (and possibly Annette) left on the thread πŸ˜‰ Micro-managing is a real pain (currently happening in my work place but I’ve escaped so far by re-gigging my contract). Why do managers think it will work when ALL the evidence is contrary?? Hang in there and don’t let her/him micro-manage your diet success in the wrong direction.

Lizards come in all shapes and sizes Jade!! On the back of my recent weight gain (sad but true and hopefully in hand as we speak) I decided to go back to see my psychologist and it occurred to me when we were speaking that the lizard-brain is not only active around food; that’s just the lizard that’s most obvious to my smart brain because it currently matters. So I’ve decided to watch out for other examples of the lizard brain getting all uppity and see if by working on calming that particular dude down that it will have a flow on effect?? Two lizards I noticed straight away were 1. getting ridiculously cross at dumb drivers and 2. feeling hot or cold and always responding, i.e. jumper on or off etc. It’s a classic Buddhist approach really but I think it fits with my instinct that stealth will work better on the food-lizard part of my (arguably insane) brain.

It’s interesting stuff around the sugar and there is always going to be another swing of the pendulum in the ‘what you should/shouldn’t eat’ saga. I’ve seen a few of those in my lengthy life. I have to say that for me the sugar message has always been consistent (maybe it’s a down under thing?) and I’ve never thought/been told it was okay to eat a lot of processed carbs or sugar-based foods. Growing up, potatoes and white bread and biscuits etc. were always suspect and that has largely persisted with dozens of other processed items being added to the ‘don’t eat them’ list in health practice and literature. The saturated verses unsaturated fats has come and gone and come again and now of course it’s ‘good’ fats – always a lot of morality in the messages I think. I guess for me the take home lesson is to eat stuff your grandmother would recognise with the caveat being, as long as your grandmother didn’t grow up eating highly sugared stuff out of jars/tins/bottles and packets. I’m sure you’ll defeat the sugar monkey/demon Annette.

My FD yesterday was just a little over 500 (I had to have the emergency almonds) but weight is going in the right direction. Here’s to soldiering on with the sisterhood to defeat the lizards. Spring xx

Good to hear from you Michel! Sorry about work, I know it sucks when you have so much experience, no need for that micro crap. Agree w/Spring though, no need to leave Misfit Island in the meantime. HAHA, yes Simco and Annette are our calm scientists. The Professors to my Gilligan. Or more like my Lovey as I’m old enough to be Gilligan’s mother.

So I understand the sugar science, but still think habit is a big part of my problem with sugar. Dessert after a meal, or as a reward in the car for surviving a hard day at work. Then weeks when I don’t care at all, then the next there is a lizard convention in my head. So I don’t know that it’s an addiction or some combo addiction-habit.

Ah Spring, the Buddhist approach! Dear lord one bad habit at a time for me. I definitely I have highway pissiness issues πŸ™‚ maybe more so when doughnuts are involved. Congrats on the FD – I had rice and veg, and then more rice, and if I turn MFP sideways and shake it like a magic 8-ball and pick THE lowest of the 100 different rice cals, then “signs point to 500” pops up.

Here’s to the sisterhood, going in the right direction. Maybe a bit zig-zaggy. x

Night All!

I ended the day better than expected. No eating with”unhinged” jaws and I drove past the ice cream place – 1st time in a few days.

Spring & Jade – Thanks for the support. I know I should not let her get to me, but…..

Keep up the good work – you guys are an inspiration!

YAH Michell!!!! Go you for avoiding the ice-cream place – I know it has the attraction of a Magnetar for you, so well done!

Jade I also wonder about the on-again off-again nature of the urges to binge or eat too much being an addiction or a habit. I like the lizard analogy though. In fact I’m fending off lizards left right and centre right now, the sneaky “Oh it’s okay, you fasted yesterday’ and “It’s just so HARD, you shouldn’t be expected to be so GOOD’ and other blah, blah, blah nonsense about it not really mattering… Yeah, well, it does f#@*en matter and it will matter a whole lot more when I get on the scales next week and then I might just have to burst into tears so if you don’t mind – you mealy-mouthed, lying son of a b%#$h – I’m just going to keep my hands to myself and my snout out of the trough and be an ADULT!!!!!!!!!!!

Power to all trying to overcome the habits of a lifetime xx

Great work, Michelle, give that ice-cream lizard a fat lip. Or give him a world-class tongue lashing – HAHA Spring is telling that reptile who’s boss.

Off on a trip today, but no trip anorexia this time – glad to be done with that. In fact Hubs took me out for beer and bbq last night! One small victory – NO ketchup on my fries. And I am (no, was) a ketchup fiend. The ingredients in that really are kind of scary.

Happy 5:2ing this weekend Islanders – and TGIF everyone with workplace demons. xx

Happy Friday!

It’s 8:30 and you would think the people here are dying………breakfast is not here yet! It’s crazy how conditioned everyone is. It’s hard not to get swept up in the frenzy.

My plan is to save mine for lunch. Wish me luck.

Jade – Have a great time on your trip. It’s always nice to get away and see new things.

Spring – You are right: Lizard Brain is a sneaky, lying son of a b##ch. It has to be where these thoughts and images of food come from. They just pop on my head from nowhere and then the obsession starts.

“Crazy brain stuff” is spot on.

Strength & focus to us all!

But what if is it is the food that we are consuming that is making us crave and binge?

Back to Dr Robert Lustig, I really do urge you to read it. If I understand this correctly then it is the sugar in all it’s guises in our food that is messing up our endocrine system that the not only makes us fat and keeps us that way, but also keeps us craving and binging. Our environment also has a huge impact.

He argues that we need to eat food that has all its fibre, that fat is fine, but the baddy is the sugar that is hidden in so much of our food. In a nutshell, if it is in a packet with a label on, then don’t eat it. I picked up a couple of tins of leek and potato soup and at 200 calories would fill me up on a FD, but when I looked at the sugar content it was a real shock and so the soup went back on the shelf. I made loads of soup from actual vegetables that I cooked which is in the freezer, so that is what I will be eating next week.

Just been out shopping and filled the freezer with frozen vegetables, bought tins of various beans that I don’t quite know what to do with, but will be putting in all sorts of things along with lentils. Biggest change is both brown rice and pasta. We eat wholemeal bread anyway but i do have a weakness for a white loaf toasted at the weekend followed by a pain chocolat…not this weekend.

Annette I think they are fantastic lifestyle changes, and I think, even a non binger will overeat on sugar or fat, if they didn’t why have we got such an obese society.

I avoid sugar if I can, we have white bread at the weekends which is annoying (It’s for the other family members) but by 3pm it’s in my tummy.

For me, I have said it before it isn’t really the food components that are an issue (well I wouldn’t binge on meat and veggies… but I would sweet potatoes…all the carbs) but I just overeat binge when feeling flat. Quite often that can mean (albeit this will be a last resort, I’ll go for the cakes, biscuits white bread first) multigrain bread, banana wholegrain muffins, nut butters, wholegrain cereals (even low sugar or sugar free).

However, I do think avoiding sugar as much as possible is great advice for everyone and you are so right, it’s everywhere. It’s even in bread! They put in places that I think “why on earth would you add sugar”?!

I am still struggling with overeating when feeling flat. Yesterday was a day at home with children, so the house was full of carbs, I just felt awful and all I wanted to do was eat. I’m trying to work out if that was because I was bored (I am very thankful for my life BTW and am so grateful to have healthy children/family) but I almost dread weekends… and children and husband seem o constantly want feeding (some children aren’t my own) and I find it very hard to not eat the left overs/binge. Sigh.

I am interested, do you all count your calories at weekends? I think I come in at 3000kcal if I’m honest!

PS Comespring, I’m so with you, that’s the key to getting fasting right. It’s not about feast and famine. The lovely thing about fasting is it reminds us of true hunger and for me, it’s easier to satiate ad recognise that with the fasting diet… normally I just don’t feel full… I can start and not stop… I’m a little piggy.

I think it may have been Annette who said this but also, I have to be careful that after a fasting day I don’t think… yay now I’m slim (?!) and healthy… let’s eat and celebrate…!

Just to add no my brain dump ramblings… do you also find on a good day you buy things with a good heart… for me that’s things to last the week; dark chocolate (2 bard for the price of one so a bargain right?!!!), porridge, bread…. raw nut butters – all lovely healthy things that are great in moderation. However, if lizard brain arises, nom nom, they don’t last the week? I don’t want to use lizard brain as a way of absolving responsibility, but I can be fine, normal, sensible, but then that low period hits, tiredness, low mood – the lizard… and only quantity will do. If someone said to me prior to a binge ok, look you can have one slice of cake, or one slice of toast, I wouldn’t want it, I just want vast amounts of carbs. So anyway, moral of the story, don’t buy two for one- it’s not bargain you just eat double the quantity in half the time πŸ™‚

I would also be interested in what everyone’s cholesterol is like… it’s very easy to joke, for me, about all this, but we have a nation of overweight people and heart disease is a real risk factor. I have high cholesterol, LDL, not massively over but still in the high category. I’m not sure what my triglycerides are like – I wondered if they may be high due to my love for carbs.

Good luck to all, and is anyone fasting tomorrow?

Back to Dr Lustig….he talks about stress and comfort food. Stress releases Cortisol into the blood stream which makes you eat and as a result there is an increase in insulin which then makes fat. So it is not the stress itself that makes us over eat, but our response to that stress. I can certainly relate to that. He recommends
    exercise as the way to deal with the cortisol.

Maybe rather than feeling helpless and hopeless about the binging, we just need to take control of the quality of the food that we eat? I love white bread toasted and have started buying it at the weekend as a treat and a Pain chocolat each. I did walk past the bread aisle twice with the mantra that it was in everyone’s best interest not to buy it…so I didn’t.

According to Robert Lustig we need to keep our insulin levels even which means eating unprocessed whole grains,condiments(homemade hummus, salad dressings, herbs and spices), vegetable oils, eggs, unprocessed meat, nuts and seeds. cheese, butter, beans, fruit, vegetables and plain milk.

No more jar tomato/chilli sauce in this house. The real stuff looks very simple and cheap to make without the high sugar content, so that is a bit of a no-brainer too.

The whole reason that the 5:2 appealed was that nothing was banned and that no food stuff became bad or naughty. I have noticed that my food choices have changed due to the FD restrictions and I think nothing of whipping up a quick and delicious salad dressing-1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp white wine vinegar and half tsp Dijon mustard in a small jam jar with lid, shake and then drizzle.

I have been given loads of cooking apples which I am making into crumbles and then freezing. Previously, I would have put brown sugar both in the crumble and over the fruit, now it is just over the fruit.

I had a look at Christmas food in our local supermarket yesterday. No wonder I put on 10 lb last Christmas and the year before.I still have 2/3 of a Christmas Pud in the freezer and will not be making a large cake or loads of mince pies(which I ate loads of) I might just buy a small amount of each and then when they are gone..they’re gone.

I am also going to try homemade oven chips. Cut up a couple of large floury potatoes and drizzle with olive oil on a baking tray and then cook for 45 minutes. Unprocessed, cheap and not taking up freezer space-genius.

I have 2 goals. One is to shift this rather reluctant half a stone and the other is to keep this weight off forever and yet enjoy food. Clearly I need to change some of the food that I enjoy to make that a reality, but that would be worth it to maintain a healthy weight for my height.

Oh Queen, I read your comment about the ‘shopping with heart’ and immediately saw myself in the supermarket, all happy and dreamy about my healthy lifestyle and buying all the right stuff and a few things that are perfect in a diet with moderation, only to come home and a few hours/days later… opps, all gone in the “if lizard brain arises, nom nom, they don’t last the week”. Yes, so true!! At the moment I have to see that as a kind of self-sabotage that I can’t handle and so not buy anything I would care to binge on. I have a very tenuous hold on 5:2 atm so I have to assume the worst when shopping now although the temptation is always there. Also, I don’t formally count calories (after 45 years I have an in-built calorie counter) but atm I’m closely watching my intake on non-FD’s and the weekends are always much, much harder. I don’t have young children any more but, surprisingly, adult children (an oxymoron I know) present an enormous number of wonderful opportunities for cheese plates and too much wine as the sun goes down. Cheese and wine is probably my #1 downfall of ALL time.

Annette, I’m glad you’re finding so much benefit from the information on sugar and with such determination I’m sure you’ll reach your 2 goals. I can vouch for your oven chips as it’s the only way I do them – although I am currently avoiding them πŸ˜‰ – I just give them a very light (< 3 second) dousing with an olive oil spray and they’re perfect. I make my own tomato sauce too which is low in sugar compared to store bought varieties.

Jade I hope the trip is going well (is it a holiday?) and you’re not encountering too many lurking lizards en route – hopefully they speak a different language and can be more easily ignored??

I’m with you 100% on the stickiness of the habit part of the bingeing equation being so important. I’ve been thinking of this a lot lately and the trick of course is that we have to eat, usually everyday, and so an understanding of the psychology of changing a ‘habit’ is very muddied when it comes to food. Even more so when it comes to ‘addiction’ and the Psychologists I know say there’s just not the hard evidence yet about these issues in relation to humans, as the majority of the studies being cited are based on animal physiology where there are fewer variables. The popular media doesn’t necessarily discriminate between the two in terms of this and is awash with definitive statements based on these studies – “sugar is more addictive than cocaine” for example, based on rats who were food deprived, preferring sugar over cocaine… It’s great for getting our attention but generalisation to humans misses some important steps. Not that I have to wait for the science to know only I can stop the progression of the food from the fridge/pantry/plate into MY mouth πŸ™‚

Sending strength if you’re fasting today (I am, with lard baton firmly in hand). Spring xx

Oh dear, am I all on my own-some?? Ill share a fun fact with you then on this tediously long FD –

“Germany is number 2 on this list [of countries eating the most sugar in the world] and also number 2 on the list of the skinniest nations in the world, with a 14% obesity rate. Somehow, Germans have found a way to have cake and stay slim”.

Who’d of thunk it?? Not surprisingly the USA is #1 but Australia is right up there at #5 although the UK is a relative lightweight in the sugar-stakes at #7. Of course I’m completely unable to vouch for the accuracy or rigour of the statistics or sources used on this random internet site πŸ˜‰

A shout out to Melb & Michell & Jade & Annette & queen and penguin & Kitty & Fizzy and others whose names elude me atm. Would love to know how it’s going for you all. xx

Anyone remember the old Hammer film ‘The Reptile’, where people were turned into lizards because of a snake cult?
    We’re clearly all in the grip of a sugar cult, so here’s me reaching for a packet of biscuits:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NJs_fWIUCyU/T4H7JyNuICI/AAAAAAAAAb4/YevOgHqGcR0/s1600/ggggg.jpg

x

Evening Fasters!

It’s 6 pm and I’ve another 1.5 hrs till dinner.
    So far it has been a successful FD. I needed it after a weekend of overeating.

Helen – You crack me up, I love the pic! Now I have a visual to go with my “Lizard Brain” analogy.

It sounds like it all comes down to having healthy choices at hand on NFDs.

Stay strong and Fast on!

Well I’m back everyone, and there was . . . cake. Sugar cake with sugar icing. Just use Helen’s link and paste a big piece of cake in front of it and there I am! And yikes, Helen!! Talk about putting a face with a name, that is one wicked lizard. Good mental image.

Congrats Michel on kicking another Monday’s ass with a FD. I didn’t get one done, but at least wasn’t hoovering up the leftover pretzels on the plane. Breakfast on the trip was, believe it or not, more “cake” and I did finally give it a pass.

Spring, you’re never alone on Misfit Island! Interesting stats on the sugar, but how in the HELL is Germany the skinniest, they have sugar and beer and make houses out of gingerbread for heaven’s sake. Hmmmm. I wonder if they snack as much as we do in the states – probably no one in the world does that. It has become such an industry here to convince people to consume more of everything – food, electronics, clothes, ugh such a crock. And on top of all the “bad” health advice we’ve been fed over the years.

So OK Annette, I’m ready to agree with you. The vicious cycle of eating sugar, wanting more, NEEDING more, and etc. Fasting and exercise have helped me to a point, but it’s still a damn struggle so I will fight chemistry with more chemistry. To start, NO MORE LABELS. I will train myself to need less sugar.

Queen, I know, there are just TIMES when it doesn’t matter what it is, it just has to be in quantity. Lizard fest. And for me it’s usually the bad stuff in quantity. I may actually just start fibbing and say my blood sugar is high (heaven knows it is!) or whatever is code for “don’t feed me sugar I’ll become a full-blown diabetic lizard.”

OK time to get my lizard head out of my *** and get to work on some other stuff. Good luck all you lovely fasters!!! xxx

Morning All,
    Dr Robert Lustig is a paediatric endocrinologist in the USA who spent the last 16 years treating childhood obesity and studying the effects of sugar on the central nervous system, metabolism and disease. He argues that sugar is killing us and responsible for the epidemic of obesity and metabolic disease in the past 30 years as it is now in the much of the food and drink that are consumed. He explains how our evolutionary biochemistry keeps us alive and how the food environment has altered this creating the global epidemic. It seems that we the individual are not at fault, the food industry is. We can help by changing what we eat, to keep insulin low by consuming whole grains, fruit and veg, nuts, seeds, beans, brown rice, cream, milk, butter, unprocessed meat etc.

It all makes a great deal of sense to me. Last night we had a homemade chicken curry into which I put 50g red lentils(never cooked them before but they will be put in all sorts of things from now on as will the green ones) and wanted to see if anyone noticed(never told the boys) and no one did, and we had brown rice which was very filling. I am on a FD today and still feel full from last night which is completely fabulous. I have some homemade vegetable soup in the freezer and now that I have learned that lentils can be put into soup, this would make it more filling and good for me. I am also now having half a tsp of(from 1 tsp) sugar in my tea so hopefully I can ditch that over the coming weeks.

A trip to the supermarket yeterday saw me put all sorts of lovely Christmas food into my basket, then I put my glasses on, read the labels and most of it went back! I have bought a Christmas cake bar which has a sliver of marzipan and icing just on the top, which I love and my boys can peel off for me to eat. I think that the secret is not to have it in the house.

The needing more sugar is simply because we felt low, ate sugar, felt better for a short time and then felt low again…and so the cycle begins. I have chose to see this not as a personal failing but simply a messed up biochemistry which I am going to try to improve with food.

The book is Fat Chance the hidden truth about sugar,obesity and disease by Robert Lustig. Really interesting and has made me feel very hopeful that I can be healthier, happier and continue to lose weight.

Switzerland, Germany and Colorado don’t have the same levels of obesity purely because they are cold…I can’t remember why that is important.

YAH!! Hail fellow Misfit Islanders!!! So good to have your sweet company (naturally sweetened of course!).

Helen thanks for that wonderful image, loved it! I too am trying to picture that dude and it’s not a pretty site in my head either (why is it male in my imagination??).

So glad the FD went well Michell (assuming no last minute lizard ambushes). It’s hard to get back into the swing of it so well done.

Lovely to have you back Jade!! Misfit Island is just not the same without you. Hope you have extracted your head and got some work done!

Annette, thanks again for the info. Not sure about the cold factor though, as Europe is not a particularly cold place by world standards with some of the coldest places on the inhabited earth also having high obesity i.e. parts of Siberian Russia for example as well as NW Canada and parts of Alaska. I suspect the story is far more complex that we currently understand but reducing sugar has got to be good for all of us.

Well I had a successful FD yesterday and haven’t done too bad today. Will fast again Thursday and hopefully see the scales go down again Friday or at least not go up.

Strength and sugar-beating vibes to all, Spring xx

Thanks Spring! It’s good to be back among fellow misfits. Congrats on your FD!

It’s funny Annette, I was reading your latest post with my coffee trying to wake up, and basically I saw “sugar sugar Lustig lentils CHRISTMAS CAKE BAR.” Only my lizard brain is awake so far πŸ™‚ Please keep ringing the no-sugar bell for me. It has to be the answer. And it’s refined carbs (like pasta) too, right? I do not like whole-grain pasta, grrr.

OK then! Thanks to this wonderfully flexible 5:2 thing, it’s FD take 2. Last night I was flat, as Queen puts it. Tired, apathetic – but did manage to eat things like peanut butter (not heavily sweetened), grapes, whole-grain bread. And now head extracted, I’m reporting for lizard duty. Happy Tuesday Islanders, let’s fight the Sugar Liz together – we are stronger. xx

Hi Jadelark, Sorry you were feeling flat… can you put your finger on why that might have been the case? BTW it’s fine to feel flat sometimes, part of being human. You handled it so well though, well done!

Another binge trigger(no not just breathing….) does anyone else feel like bingeing… not lizard brain binge but frantic looking for food after a nap? Obviously tiredness is a huge trigger for me, but recently after 5 am starts, I have been going for a nap in the afternoon if I’m not busy and no little ones about and overtime I wake I could eat a house… bread, pizza etc, yet prior to the nap I have eaten…. bizarre!

Good luck to all….

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Successful FD yesterday, Yea!

Feeling in control again today. I wish I knew what the difference is. Sometimes it is so easy to just say “no” and others food is all I can think about. Crazy brain stuff.

Annette – Thanks for sharing about the sugar book. I need to be reminded just how bad sugar is for me.

Spring – Congrats on a successful FD!

Jade – Welcome back and good luck today. Watch out for Lizard Brain & Kraken.

Queen – Sometimes I think just being awake is a trigger.

Going for TTDE today. Lizard Brain be damned!

Dang TWO posts went poof – maybe this one will make it.

Queen, I was flat after the trip, a bit tired but mostly sad to have left loved ones. So i felt a bit meh about notching another FD. Weirdly, I felt in control – I consciously decided that eating more was more important to me at the time. But yes, whenever I wake (even in the a.m.), my first thought is for food. I have to force myself to become fully conscious – if I drink a cup of coffee, soon I realize I’m not actually starving.

Congrats Michel on your victory yesterday! I do think we’re all finding we’re much more in control, so that lack of control is now the exception. The “why” does still puzzle me, but sugar-chemistry may be the answer (and I’ll have to just accept that, because I do not have a scientific mind).

So far so good today – very busy at work so no opportunity for food anyway. Strength to all you lovable islanders! xx

Afternoon Kraken Slayers!

So, I had the chef salad for lunch. I skipped the dressing and only had half the meat, cheese & croutons. I even saved my cookie for later.

I was doing really good until I realized there are extra cookies from the extra lunches. The “Gollum” in me keeps thinking mine, mine, mine. I want them all!

So is it greed, habit, sugar addiction our survival instinct that is driving my obsession? Hhmmmmm…

Hello Everyone,
    If you feel full, then you are less likely to binge, so by eating more fibre that helps. More fibre means that what food you do eat is digested more slowly, so by avoiding the insulin spikes from doughnuts/cookies/white bread/fruit juice etc, the sugar high when you feel great and then followed by the crash when you feel tired and rubbish…so to make you feel better you eat more sugar…and so it goes on. Whole grains, fruit and veg, nuts beans wholemeal bread etc keep the insulin levels steady, so that crave/bingle cycle is stopped. I suspect that biochemistry, habit and environment are drivers in food obsession, from what i have read so far.
    I was still full until lunchtime from the lentils and brown rice, so that was brilliant on a FD. FD has been fine.

Most of all, I am very excited that by changing what we eat, we will lose the binge/crave response…lose weight and maintain it. Dare I say eat, but eat like normal people!

I have been looking into peoples shopping trolleys/baskets to see what they are buying and then looking at them. It has been very scary looking at grey/angry/tired folk buying lots of processed foods, hardly scientific but really interesting.

Jade, could you learn to love wholemeal pasta if it makes you feel better? Try beans and lentils as well. Nutritious and filling to boot.

The Christmas cake thing is all about not making the same mistakes that I have for the past 2 years with a 10lb gain each time. I am just trying to make good decisions with some forward planning as I have the time at the moment.

Cr##! I just got the email, we are celebrating a BDay.

Enjoy!
    Tomorrow is another day.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.