I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,151 through 1,200 (of 3,046 total)

• Annette, your advice to look for the little changes is right on. I’ve noticed what I thought of as a “settling” as various parts of me seem slimmer despite no scale change. It must be a gradual muscle-to-fat transformation? A girl can dream. Anyway, it is motivating. What a nice surprise that your fall/winter clothes are fitting again! Talk about motivation – free “new” wardrobe.

Go Michel, the book outside sounds delightful. Just don’t read a cookbook like I did 🙂 I sometimes find myself browsing online for new recipes and that is NOT a good thing to read. Power of suggestion – doesn’t take much power for me.

Woke up feeling starved after an OK FD (probably 600ish). Went looking for grapes, and somehow remembered maybe I was thirsty, so I drank a cup of ice water before my coffee. Success! Still not really hungry now. Sad to say, even grapes will get my appetite going. Looking forward to lunch soon — happy glorious weekend all xxx

I think that it is just less fat, rather than any transformation. Think about cushions of fat covering up those lovely muscles, lose some of that fat and see the muscles underneath! I am thrilled with my upper arms, those podgy fat sausages that I struggled to fit into coats or dresses and forgot to measure……that now are slim and if I turn my arm slightly there is some muscle definition. Whoop whoop!
    I have a couple of fitted summer shift dresses that were charity shop finds from last summer that I love but couldn’t do up….and now will be able to wear them this week as the weather is going to be warm. These dresses are my guide and they never lie. I have had these pink linen shorts that I have always been too fat to wear, I can now do them up and breathe, but there is a bit of a way to go yet.I have 2 pairs of winter trousers that claim to be the same size as the 1 pair that I can get into(they are not) and one of my many goals is to be able to do them up, breathe and for them to look good.
    Keep the faith and believe that even if the scales don’t move, that you are making great changes in your body and mind. I am hopeful that fasting will help prevent/reduce the possibility of dementia as well.

Morning ladies, apologies for butting in. I’ve been 5:2 ing (with a bit of 5:3 ing) since January and despite a few hiccups reduced from 11:01 to 9:5 – which was hurrah for me and very close to my 9 stone target. I was feeling fab, full of self confidence and a bit of a wiggle in my walk. I should probably add that I am a life time dieter – all time biggest of 13 and a half stone, not pretty on a 5’2” frame. I had a motor tour holiday with himself across Europe taking in Netherlands Germany Poland Slovakia and Czech. Well of course I couldn’t diet there, who knew when I have the opportunity to eat such strange and interesting food again – it would be ridiculous . So I tucked in. Lots of interesting beer and wines (not to mention vodkas) . So I glugged away. No worries I thought I’ll take care of it all when I get home. And now I’m home I can’t stop eating. It’s been weeks but today is the day to take back control and admit to a 6 pound gain and to dig in and woman up to dealing with it (feeling a bit shaky here)

Ha I meant fat-to-muscle transformation anyway, Annette – but whatever is happening, my rather long-term maintenance is having some good effects.

I had my typical Sunday funday, not at all mindful, fueled by a slight hangover. could not make it past 10 without food, and then it was all day snacking. Well, gotta work on that, and how wonderful that Sunday comes around each weekend. I’ll take that kraken down or die trying.

Noseinabookgirl (love that name), that sounds very familiar. This group either gains on a trip or after, or both! I like to mix and match 🙂 Seems our kind live very close to the cliff, i.e. a few days of wild abandon and we are wild creatures again, finding it hard to shake off the kraken and get back to business. Putting your foot down with yourself and declaring war, as you’ve done, is the best way. Just do it.

Do whatever it takes to get through ONE FD and you’ll feel that sense of control again. Promise yourself anything, just get through it. Good luck and we’re all here cheering for you. Hop aboard for the ride, we’d love to have you!

Wishing strength to all of us wacky fasters! xxxx

Morning All!

Here’s hoping all fasters have a Kraken free day.

For me it is the same ‘ol story: Free breakfast & lunch both Mon & Tues. Obviously, I’m not fasting but I will try and maintain some control.

Noseinabook- Welcome!
    Good luck today!

Stay Strong Everyone!

Hello All,
    FD here and going OK so far, but it is the evenings that drag on and on for me. Did a quick try this morning and those trousers that have never been worn but claim to be the same size as the other pair…I can now not only do them up but they look fine! I went to work on a cloud and very very pleased. I also wore one of those dresses that I couldn’t get into today and had loads of compliments. It really helps to feel like you are winning to get through a FD. But I also think that faith that there will be change even when you can’t measure it is valuable too.
    If you have gained weight then never mind, but just be aware that holidays from the 5:2 don’t seem to be an option if you want to keep the weight off and to maintain it, which is no surprise to anyone here as we struggle with our demons every day. Sad but true.
    Just deal with today and focus on that. All of these today’s will soon add up to a big difference in weight/shape/habit. I walked past mince pies and Stollen in the supermarket twice as I decided that if they came home with me I would eat them. Big move, but a wise one, because I would have found them very hard to resist…and on a FD.

Thank you all for your welcome. Jade you are so right once I start eating I can’t seem to stop – it’s like some kind of alter ego takes over, I’m either going for it or being saintly. I don’t have a ‘reasonable’ ego that I can find. I’ve fasted today and kept busy (even cleaned the bathroom); whilst I have rubber gloves on I can’t snack. I plan 1500 calls tomorrow and fast again on Wednesday (I’ve persuaded myself today is a done deal and I’ve won). Annette trouser moments like that make it worthwhile!

We have all been there, but I find that those times do become less over time.Try the AA mantra of ‘one day at a time’ which helps me just to focus on that day rather than weeks ahead, which is just too daunting.
    Think about how well you are doing now and be proud of what you have achieved for today.It may help to think about the potential health benefits of this way of life and think about the long term benefits of fasting and being a healthy weight for your height.
    I was hoping that the tale of the trousers would help those having a bit of a wobble(I have had many)I am still thrilled and it has inspired me to be more mindful on non fast days(NFD). I had my first Almond Croissant in months on Saturday and although I enjoyed it, I will not be rushing back for another as that 600 calories took 5 minutes to eat, when I could have a meal for the same amount of calories.

Was super strong yesterday and lo and behold a 2 lb loss. Feeling very rewarded. Pondering whether to weigh or not to weigh, and if I do weigh myself how often. Problem is if I don’t get the reward or heaven forbid a gain; I immediately feel “that’s it I’m a failure, I’m always going to be fat, I can’t cope, I’m going to eat’ and here we are binge time again. So in my head I’m pondering positive reinforcement, ie there is a point to all this hard work versus fear of failure and what that might lead to.

Noseinabookgirl – welcome!

re weighing – I tend to do it every couple of days to get a sense of how my weight is fluctuating. I depend far less on it for reward than I used to, partly as you say because what happens when that day’s weight fluctuation happens to be up a pound rather than down. Now I am able to weigh myself and if I see no move or even a gain, I can reassure myself that unless I really have eaten 3500 calories more than I have used up, then I havent really gone up a pound. The flip-side of that is that I know I’m pretty unlikely to have lost a whole pound overnight, whatever the scale might say!

But I do find weighing a few times a week helpful in terms of checking the overall trend and keeping myself honest.

I am of the weigh/measure/try on clothes once a week, usually a weekend morning when I have more time. One month the scales never moved but I lost 6 inches all over. Another time the scales seemed to be broken and the tape measure wasn’t moving, but all my dresses and nighties were so much longer and I couldn’t work out why until my always slender friend pointed out that the fat across my shoulders had gone, both on the front and the back, which explained that mystery!
    Success shouldn’t rest on what number the scales say at a random time, but in over all shrinkage of the body and a change of habits. It’s not food that makes us fat but habits and once I get to a good weight for my height, I want to be able to maintain that for ever.

Afternoon Fast Clubbers!

After a total eat fest yesterday, I’ve managed to say “no” to breakfast today.

One step at a time–lunch is the next challenge.

Stay strong fasters!

Hi Everyone!

Welcome Noseinabook!

Ok well I have not been posting but unusually for me it is not because I have been bingeing and lurking… a few days ago now (I can’t count how many, but it’s around 4 or 5) I was looking for inspiration on the other bingeing threads on this site, and came across someone recommending this book called ‘Brain over Binge’.

Anyhow after reading the Amazon reviews I downloaded the iBooks version. I’ve been a bit superstitious about posting in case it breaks the spell – because so far after reading the book I haven’t wanted to binge! It’s hard to sum it up in a nutshell but it addresses those ‘out of control’ binges when you are just cramming stuff into your mouth and hating it but not being able to stop, rather than just ‘greedy-I-like-food’ eating (which I also do), so I don’t think it is the ‘cure’ for everything but hell, if I can stop the awful cramming bingeing that’s got to be a good thing, no?

I’d do it a disservice to try to repeat the advice here but it is basically something along the lines of the lower ‘animal’ part of the brain actually LEARNS to binge and those behaviors are reinforced every time we do it, and to stop is as simple as just understanding your higher brain has the power to just say ‘no’ and then you re-wire your brain and break the neurological pathways which have been reinforced over and over by constant bingeing. See… I knew I would do it a disservice…. it is much better in the book.

Anyway I’d be interested to know if anyone else has read it and/or had success with it?

I then lost 1.5lbs and felt fantastic, then got on the scales this morning and was up 1 lb! I was FURIOUS because I have NOT been overeating, and then I read your post Mel about the false scale readings and was reassured, thank you, you are right, I definitely haven’t over eaten by 3500 cals.

Hey all. School is keeping me busy as usual, but I’m following along from afar. I’m particularly interested in the “to weigh or not to weigh” thread going on here, because I, too, have done the obsessive weighing/flagellation when I don’t lose/eat too much when I do routine. I haven’t weighed yet since starting again and I feel better that way. Instead, I’m just waiting for the clothes to fit a little better and then try to follow that trend. I’m fasting today, and will again on Thursday, but had a heck of a night on Saturday and so hangover-binged on Sunday. That was a disaster. But whatever, it’s another day.

The fast today is HARD, I think because I just had NO time to eat yesterday and so went to bed hungry and woke up, well, hungry. But once I get my day officially started I’ll just keep rolling along until 6:30 or so when I get home.

Good luck to everyone fasting today!

True to binge type form, I came across this thread fuelled by absolute desperation and have been stuffing your posts into my brain like a half starved wild animal since Sunday a.m…
    So rare to come across a thread which has this kind of longevity. Not to mention be so full to brimming with spirit, support, honesty and humour. You guys have really created something special here, congrats 🙂
    I have been held hostage by food for so long that I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t thinking about it, yearning for it or stuffing it down my great big gob as fast as I could get it in. As a child, more often than not I was made to go without it. When it was made available to me it was of the poorest quality and the smallest portion. This does not make for a healthy relationship!
    As soon as I was ‘in control’ of what I put in my mouth, every penny I earned went towards trying all the wonderful things I had thus far missed out on. Boy did I make up for lost time! At 16 years old I was a regular 5’6 62kg teenager. By 17 I was 97kg! I know the origin of my issues and I understand the psychology of it all. Does that make a difference? Ugh hell no! So bloody frustrating.

So that’s the woeful bit. The sunny side to my story is…5 months ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes (strange idea of sunny I know, but stay with me). 21 stone/134kg @39 yrs old and scared shitless that I was gonna go blind during an overnight stay at the hospital having my leg chopped off within the month, if I so much as looked at another chocolate biscuit ever again. Cos that’s pretty much the impression the nurse gave me, even though I was only just in Diabetic range.
    After crapping my pants I got the biggest grip I’ve ever achieved, quit stuffing my face and lost 25kg in 4 months. (That’s the sunny part!)
    Mid August, everything went utterly tits up and I’ve just spent the last 4-5 weeks losing and regaining the same poxy 2.5kg!!! The original weight was lost doing LCHF. Then that idea got broken as I rekindled my love affair with my two favourite guys, Ben and Jerry. I also kept falling face down with my mouth wide open, straight on top of beautifully buttery chip butties. Carb me up!

Last Sunday and Monday I decided I would mix and match diets and b2b fast on these days. Like others here, if I start eating (particularly at breakfast) things gather speed and go downhill on the rapido! The double fast days were a raging success and I felt like the most wondercrump person who has ever b2b’d since time began when I weighed in with my nurse on Tuesday morning. 2kg gone! I was back in it!I left her room jubilant and went and had a face sized scone cream tea. Which was yummy. But stupid. Yummy and stupid. I excel at yummy/stupid combos. I spent most of the next five days ‘excelling’. Go me.

This week’s b2b fast was undertaken with all of you by my side. Is that creepy? Maybe a ‘lil bit right?!? You should all know that those 2 days were made all the better by your company.I ‘fangirled’ (as my teenage daughter would say) the whole way through so there! 😉
    This morning I had to leave you all at home to attend a diabetes type class and get weighed in again. Off went the 2kg again. Yay!! Into my face went a foot long BMT Subway smothered in mayo and sweet onion sauce. And a whole tub of peanut butter cup Ben and Jerry’s and a huge family sized bag of crisps, some roasted chicken thighs and 2 pints of fizzy lemon drink. I hadn’t touched fizzy drinks for 5 months. It was my last long standing victory of my new lifestyle journey left. I am officially and a!!ehole!
    On the upside, 5:2 obviously works for me. Well the ‘2’bit works for me. I just need to get a hang of the ‘5’ bit :p

OMG I am laughing at loud at you, Twirly. Must read all that again when I get off work 🙂
    Mcca, thanks for the book rec – I love reading about how my weirdness is not really all that weird.
    Penguin, hangover-binges – check! Especially Sunday a/k/a Snack Hell. I’m lucky I’m not an alcoholic. But I eat enough sugar to make up for it.
    Re the scales: I’m a daily weigher again, having the benefit of newfound scale sanity, which Melb explained so well. I flip off the scale routinely now, and really mean it. Another aspect of freedom.

xxx hugs to all in this wacky group xxx

Hi Twirly and welcome:

Fasting is successfully being used to reverse Type 2 – this thread has some links that might be informative. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/t2-diabetes-lowno-carb-and-52/

Good Luck!

Without laughter Jade, there is mainly just a lot of mindless scoffing, right!? Anyhoo, consider it some semblance of payback for providing me with plenty of smiley moments these past couple of days! 🙂

Simcoeluv: thanks for the link, very kind of you. Fortunately an upside from the weight loss that goes beyond some serious bottom shrinkage, was my hba1c is now 37 and back in the ‘normal’ range as of 3 weeks ago. By using 5:2 and with a bit of luck and determination, keeping the carbs curbed, etc. I have hope that I can keep it there or thereabouts! I prefer to think of it as keeping it in ‘remission’ rather than ‘reversing’ it though. It may just be the thing that finally gets me a grip on filling my face hole constantly!

Welcome twirly thoughts!

First things first, congrats on the weight loss – I bet that if you could find something that weighs 25k you would really struggle to lift it – imagine how much less strain your body is under not lugging that around all day! Your diabetes figures also sound much happier – amazing news!!

Your tale sounds like so many of us on here. Because we try so hard to hide our eating from everyone in real life (oh! that moment of panic when someone comes home earlier than planned and you are still eating and have to swiftly dispose of the evidence in plant pots, under mattresses, in the magazine rack, and the race to wipe the sugar from your face and clothes), it’s easy to think we are the only ones with these issues. But as this thread clearly shows….not so!

I find it so helpful to read the advice that people give on here, and even the advice that I give to others, and then ask myself why I don’t also apply that same forgiveness and generosity to myself. I hope I am getting better at that, and if so it is 100% due to this thread.

Thanks everyone! (Group hug) xxxx

Twirly – Welcome to Misfit Island.
    Thanks for sharing your story. We are all on a similar journey and I find so much inspiration in each post.

Mcca – Thanks for sharing your book recommendation. I read some of the sample & it was like someone had put my thoughts & feelings down on paper. I want to hear more about your experience as it unfolds.

I will be fasting tomorrow. Praying for a Kraken free day.

Good luck & strength to us all!

Wow…mcca that book is intense. In a good way though. I have just read two chapters, but it’s like unlocking and reading someone’s diary. What a wrenching experience it had to have been to write that (not to mention living it). I cringed when she wrote of eating all her roommate’s food and being found out. Thank you again for the rec.

Reading her story and the stories here have helped me enormously. We’ve all recognized that part of our problem is the secrecy and shame involved in our lack of control and obsession with food. Eek, it embarrasses me just to write that. I really can’t fathom how she wrote that whole book. So thank you all again for chiming in here. Being accountable is all important. And Twirly, I don’t think it’s creepy at all to think of this group “counseling” me when I’m about to commit some food crime or another.

So one FD down this week – actually an easy one this time. I have two new approaches I’ve been using. ONE: on FDs I have a spoonful of plain greek yogurt when I think I can’t go another minute without throwing a chair through the vending machine. The yogurt destroys my craving for sweets and also tastes a bit like the cream-filling inside of a doughnut. OK, a very sour doughnut, but still. I have another spoonful at night before bed.

And TWO: on nonFDs, I have a bite of some sweet/dessert right before dinner. I mean, right?! I want a sugar hit when it really counts, on an empty stomach. BUT just a bite, then dinner right after. So I’m still hungry for real food but I don’t feel deprived. That empty hole in my (head) stomach gets filled, and I don’t overeat. Maybe it’s not the wisest approach but here’s the thing. I love sweets. Normally, if I just have dinner, I don’t really want dessert afterward because I’m full; dessert doesn’t satisfy a need but I tend to eat it anyway BECAUSE IT’S NOT A FD AND I’M A BIG STUBBORN WHINER. And we all know how that turns out. Once I eat too much, I can’t recapture the good feeling of eating for hunger, not that I don’t keep trying. Did I mention I was stubborn.

Anyway, those are my dysfunctional tips du jour. They have helped me this week, but of course it’s only Tuesday, I haven’t exactly tested them too thoroughly. I was just amazed that I did not feel deprived either day, despite fasting yesterday and coming in well under tdee today. Why, I haven’t hidden any half-eaten doughnuts since last week!

Group hug gratefully accepted – what would I do without you all? xxx

Thanks for all the lovely warm welcomes. The climate on Misfit Island is pretty glorious! 🙂

Thanks for the congrats Melb100, I feel better without the weight and the constant high blood glucose. I certainly move more freely! I feel fortunate that it happened so quickly, it gave me less time to mess it up.
    Sadly like others here have mentioned, as soon as people were complimenting me on my achievements and I got the blood results back, that switch in my brain went ‘Celebrate by filling a bag full of what is essentially poison to you, slink pass your beloved family members casually, and snaffle EVERYTHING under the duvet at speeds which don’t even allow it to touch the sides. It’ll be great!’. I don’t even remember agreeing with brain. I didn’t just go off the rails, I ripped them up!

I had been searching online for a while for a local support group because I knew it was exactly what I needed but always came up short. As much as a part of me feels awful that others suffer from these issues, I can’t help but be grateful that for the first time ever I have found some comfort in knowing there are others who recognise this struggle and understand that it’s not as easy as ‘just don’t eat that crap’.

Soooo today has gone a little something like this:

1) Decide not to eat until 2pm to restrict damage ptential of opening food gates too early.
    2) Fill out MFP with sensible food type options for the day ahead.
    3) Discover OH cannot go more than 2 weeks without becoming over drawn on his bank account.
    4) Punish ‘him’ by eating half a large bag of crisps, cos that’ll show him the error of his ways, right!
    5) Engineer a way to get him out of the house so I can drown my sorrows in more peanut butter ice-cream.
    6) Unlock Achievement **Eat entire tub of peanut butter ice cream in 6 minutes or less**.
    7) Work out exact amount of steps it is from my front door to giant Tesco Supermarket. 107 steps and 41 seconds away. No pressure there then…
    8) Swiftly calculate that it is only a further 11 steps to the Krispy Kreme cabinet.
    9) Search on Ebay for some kind of chair and mask set up, similar to that used in Silence of the Lambs to prevent Hannibal Lector eating peoples faces for his own sh**ts and giggles. Finding one may be my only hope at this point!

I think I’m only slightly joking about number 9!

Loves to you all fellow threaders xxx

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Jade – Congrats on the successful FD.
    Thanks for your tips, all suggestions are welcome. Who knows what will take hold & be a huge help.

Twirly – I have been having similar days. I’ve been pigging out at work and stuffing my face with more crap at home. No stop button here! My body has to be screaming “STOP! WTF?!” I know the scale was yelling at me this morning, up another 5lbs!

I’m searching for motivation, so I think I’ll get the book and give it a read. She certainly sounds like me; full of good intentions and destructive behaviours.

So who is riding the fast train with me today?
    I could use the company & support..

Strength & hugs to all my Fast Club buds!

Hi and welcome Twirly,

As you can see we all relate and to have people here who understand how hard it is to buy a cake and “just have a small slice and eat is slowly” mentality…: peanut butter ice cream really? Ooo that would be fatal. Mind you, for me, most things, in large quantities are fatal.

Joking aside, I think some people get whit hits from smoking, exercise, alcohol, and our issue is food. Eating to excess is a drug we have to give up… Yet it’s still everywhere and we have to have small amounts. It’s not easy. However, when we take control life is so much richer….

Good luck to all x

AH the Krispy Kreme cabinet – it’s on my GPS for sure. And yes Twirly I “punished” my hubs the other day by chomping into a loaf of bread, just to vandalize it before dinner. That mature behavior was followed by an angry text that, luckily, he never saw (because I managed a clandestine delete). But seriously, it can be hard to give a **** about controlling appetite when emotions take over and I’m acting like I’m 2.

I’m very interested to keep reading this book. The author swears that she never has the urge to binge now, and she was really a classic case. I am still in the category of (somewhat) “reformed binger,” still obsessed and a step away, and it’s frustrating. Mostly caused by my insatiable need to sample every single food on offer anywhere, whether hungry or not. What in the hell kind of disorder is that. Curiobinger? Smorgasborderliner? Anyone else have that problem?

Queen, I was stupidly reading a recipe the other day for chocolate cake, and saw it had 3 sticks of butter in the batter AND 3 more sticks in the icing. Yikes. No nutrition info given, just “serves 16.” HAHAHA, not a chance in hell. Whatever size the thing comes in is one serving. Because I’ll eat it all, or eat way more than a normal serving, then have to hide/set fire to the rest. I do have to laugh, and thank heavens I found this crew I can laugh with.

Michel – I’m riding the fast train today! Stay strong girl – no breakfast burrito 🙂 So far so good here, just coffee with a dab of cream.
    Luck and strength to you all!

Hey Bingeing Queen, I offer great mounds of gratitude for being the source at which this thread started 🙂

I have to confess with some degree of shame, I made a running jump at other forms of substance abuse and gave each and every one of them up without a backward glance. For a while and in the moment I was very fond of one or two. Nothing calls to me like food though… I guess I’m pretty faddy as well as bingey. Ultimately I’ll take whatever is on offer, ice cream right now, wherever, whenever, however!

MichellMB I plan some serious scale avoidance for the next couple of days. I will pay the piper with an impromptu 3rd FD tomorrow and hope my scale is sweeter to me than I have been to myself of late. Stare that 5 pounds in the face and tell it to do one! Quiet that scale beast down 😉 Oh if it were that easy hey 🙂

Annoying and unhelpful thought of the evening…If I go to the bottom of my garden, the Krispy Kreme cabinet is actually closer than my own fridge dammit.

Todays bright side…I made up for my swim in the ice cream tub with some lovely pesto smothered courgetti and some lean steak. Yums! I’ll call today a draw and and slink off to bed with a cheeky download of this book and a massive mug of brew and ZERO snacks. Yay me! 🙂

It is such a luxury to write these thoughts up somewhere and not keep them flooding my head and drowning my soul.

Power, hope and loving vibes to you lovelies, especially those about to have a run out on the Fast track xxx

Jade – Keep us posted on your reading of the book. The reviews made me question my decision to buy it. Really interested to hear your thoughts.

6 sticks of butter in a cake that serves “16”. Holy Cow! I’m repulsed at the same time I’m thinking “mmmmm, that sounds yummy!” And what is it that makes the idea of having a cake all to myself so inciting.

Back to reality: Fasting Today!!! Let’s do this!!!

Queen – You are right. “Eating to excess is a drug we have to give up” I need to think of it in those terms. Binging is not acceptable!

Twirly – Congrats on “no snacks” and a successful nonFD.
    Note: Never take $ into the garden. Can’t buy KK w/o $. 🙂

Here’s wishing everyone success!

Good Morning all you very dear Misfit Islanders!!! 🙂

As I have some Wi-fi again (currently on holiday in NZ for 2 weeks) I thought I’d log on to say Hi and welcome to the new faces and confess to many food-related crimes that seem to be the new normal for me. Sadly holiday modes has meant all restraint has gone out the window (not dissimilar to your comment Twirly – “I didn’t just go off the rails, I ripped them up!”). Despite this I’m going with the self-compassion rather than self-flagellation approach as well as wearing my (increasingly) snug jeans everyday just to provide a very small reality check 😉
    The book you’ve all mentioned sounds interesting, I will definitely take a look when i get enough Wi-Fi juice to open it although I’m horribly cynical about miraculous recoveries from really challenging addiction and wonder about the marketing imperatives for claims like that – it doesn’t reflect most people’s experiences I guess (although it’s probably just me being a dog in the manger/sour grapes because it’s a particularly challenging time for me at the moment!).
    Good luck to all who are fasting and trying to remain mindful today and thank you all so much for the honesty and the humour and the gentle kicks-in-the-a*se 🙂 Spring xx

Evening Fasters!

Successful FD here in the Lone Star State. Yea!
    Had an egg for dinner with yogurt & fresh blueberries for dessert. Feeling good & ready for bed.

So for tomorrow. I told ya about the free breakfast & lunch on Mon & Tues (totally unhinged my jaw), well tomorrow is free lunch followed by hors d’oeuvres, beer/wine & CAKE in the evening. And let’s not forget Free breakfast Friday. Lord give me strength!

It’s a wonder I can fit into any of my clothes. All the free food would be bad enough but adding in my binging on top of it equals off the chart Kraken fest.

Hope everyone had a successful day.
    Here’s to staying mindful tomorrow.

Well done michel!! One thing I like about this way of eating is that whatever kraken happens before the fast day, you always know that that fd is doing something positive for our health.

Good luck running the office gauntlet today – I am trying to stop myself thinking of free food as free; my body will lay for it sooner or later.

Heard mm on the radio this weekend – quick blast of motivation for one of us fasting or following on from a fast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032hr94

Well done casters.

Another tip, that seems good psychology with me, I am trying to eat MORE on non fasting days… But veggies so as much peppers, cucumber , broccoli etc as I can….. It’s slightly helpful for me x

Quick note to say thanks to Melb.
    You are right I am paying for all the “free” meals. It’s costing me mentally and physically.
    Thanks for the new perspective.

Here’s to hoping everyone has a Kraken free day!

A random question to all, how may of us have a, er, appetite stimulated day after eating breakfast? Without fail, when I reflect all my BE days are on breakfast days… But maybe I was in a foodie mood anyway hence choosing to have breakfast in the first place … If that makes sense.

Also where else do you overeat…? For me, I’m often alone in the kitchen. I have also found whatever best intentions I have, I will always end up eating bread, cereal, biscuits, chocolate and cake if I’m left in the kitchen.

Twirly, thanks for giving me credit for the group… I think it’s brilliant that I claim can claim the credit for all the great people on here 🙂

X

Great info clubbers! Free food, yep I pay a price for it. I believe I’ve stopped trying to end world hunger by eating all extra food myself, but it is still tempting.

Congrats Michel on a successful FD!! You are some kind of warrior for all the temptations you smack down.

Thanks Melb, for the link to mm – I have such a cyber-crush on him :). His idea that fasting = spring cleaning for the body, love it. Must keep that in mind when I (sometimes) think “why am I torturing myself” on FDs. Had a tough go last night, almost got my head stuck in a jar of chunky peanut butter…but only a bit. Seriously could have swallowed the jar whole. Now the next morning, I’m wondering what was THAT about. Appetite is so weird.

Hey Spring! Hope you’re enjoying your travels, including the food – all part of the adventure. Any poundage is temporary and I remember you’re one to walk your a*se off as well. Holidays are for relaxing – a flagellation-free zone.

Queen – I too need to consciously eat more on at mealtime nonFDs. Whatever the **** a meal is :/, I’m still trying to figure it out. After so many years of “eating small meals throughout the day” (was there ever any worse advice) it’s not easy to give up snacking. And paradoxically, doing FDs sometimes screws up my ability to judge how large a meal I need in order to resist the snacks.
    **just saw your latest post, and yes breakfast is still a killer for me. Snack Hell all day. Kitchen isn’t my weakness, it’s the darn TV! After-dinner scavenging. I should just eat and go to bed. But yes, you started the thread, you get all the credit 🙂

So the book is interesting, especially her take on therapy, which typically attempts to find a root cause (psych, trauma, stress, etc.). She found she had no real root cause, thus could not blame it on that. Her 2-brain idea, I haven’t read enough yet to understand, but she chalked her whole problem up to habit. Annette’s favorite word! So, she gave in to some instinct/urge in her brain to binge that first time, which satisfied that urge, which of course came back, and thus began her habit. How she kicked it involves the 2-brain thing, which is further than I’ve gotten in the book. But I can’t see there’s any product launch going on, so it seems legit so far.

Well goodness it’s a workday, isn’t it? I had better get my ar*e off here and get to it. Good luck to all today – let’s break some habits, shall we? xxx

Queen – Good question. Chicken or the egg?
    I know for me eating breakfast is a trigger; period, end of story. It does not matter whether I eat because I was truly hungry or if I’m surprised when I walk in the breakroom and greedily stuff something in my mouth. And once started nothing satisfies the desire to eat.

The flip side is: if there is food in the kitchen and I’m able to hold out against its lure, I still can think of nothing else except “there is food & I want some”.

So either way, eat or not, I’m obsessed. It’s so tiring.

Strange that on a FD, with no free food in the kitchen, I don’t have this problem. I’m totally in control….No food till dinner. Yesterday was a breeze.
    All or nothing that is me.

I think the real question for me is: How do I control my thoughts, day after day? I can be good for a week or 2 then I go crazy.

One day at a time…Good luck everyone!

No food in the house and payday=going to the supermarket on a FD. Just scoffed some whole almonds in an attempt to help with that….we’ll see.

Loads of interesting ideas here, will catch up with you all later.

Jade – Thanks for the update on the book. Still thinking about buying.
    Good job pulling yourself out of the peanutbutter.

We are in control and have the power to decide!
    (Note to self)

The book is probably worth it just for the shock factor of seeing the turbo version of “us” — I was never the epic binger she was (though have had my moments), but overall it’s the same shame, food obsession, etc. that makes us feel so abnormal. She challenges some of the concepts in the “Normal Eating” book, but only because they didn’t work for her. A core idea I’ve seen in all success stories is Michel’s “we have the power to decide” mantra – now if I can just keep that power.

Michel, yes yes yes – even if I resist, the image is stuck in my mind. Like a mind worm. Ugh.
    And Queen, didn’t really answer your question before – I still delay as long as possible, then if it’s just going to be “one of those days,” it proceeds to be one of those days anyway. But if I have breakfast, it’s guaranteed to be one of those days. Does that makes sense? (I feel this group speaks in a sort of code that each of us always always understands. *group hug*)

Hi all. Back again for my weekly/semi-weekly check-in. I’m holding my own against the kraken, but only because I’ve been so d*mn busy that I don’t have time to eat. Literally.

Jade, I’m right there with you on WTF a meal is? I’m lazy, hungry, and in a hurry, so my meals are often much too small, which means snacking later. I’ve been toying with FD meals to see what really fills me up vs. what satisfies me. On Tuesday I ate 5 eggs and an apple. Not full and not satisfied, either, until I ate a bunch of dried blueberries. Today I’m going back to my oatmeal. It’s the only thing I’ve found that actually FEELS like enough food at the end of the day.

One hurdle I’ll have to contend with is my parents being in town. They flew in last night, and while they aren’t staying with me, they are here for 6 weeks, which means lots of meals out and many, MANY bottle of wine. Last night was an example of this trend: a 1/2 wheel of brie and crackers, a frozen pizza, and nearly two bottles of wine between the three of us. And that was a light meal! They aren’t out of shape at all, and seem to have the ability to STOP, but me? No, I just keep on reaching for the crackers, mindlessly as hell.

On a good note, though, one of my students called me skinny. She gets an A.

Luck to all my fellow fasters today!!!

Full throes of a successful FD slump…how do I manage FD so well but suck so badly the rest of the time. I know I should celebrate the victory, instead I’m feeling dread for tomorrow.
    I’m throwing a birthday party for a friends’ little boy. I’m already feeling anxiety brought on by potential left over Party Rings & Jammie Dodger fear. Wah. Left overs are my nemesis. Left over party treats are like my nemesis on steroids.

Hi Everyone!

Welcome Twirly! On that 4-5 lbs you are having trouble shifting – if it is any consolation I basically spent the last 6 months at the same weight. I do think the body tries to stabilize and it’s really hard to break that plateau. Try not to get disheartened – it will eventually break. I remember reading an article with Matthew McConnaghey about how he lost all that weight for the Dallas Buyers Club and he said every 10lbs his body would just stall, the weight would stay the same, despite him not eating any more and exercising madly, and then eventually it would start dropping off again. I decided to believe him because it just sounded like he had gone about his weight loss in a very efficient, professional manner (no doubt aided by personal chefs and personal trainers) and so if he’s gonna hit a plateau, then us mere mortals must do so too!

Jade – I am totally a smorgasbord eater too. I don’t think the Brain over Binge book deals with that beyond saying that it doesn’t deal with that… i.e. it’s not a diet book, it is about those crazy binges when you keep going even when you don’t want to (which I definitely do) – however I have to keep reminding myself that the author says as a ‘normal’ eater you just face the same challenges as anyone else i.e. healthy choices vs not healthy choices, and that her method doesn’t address those. Otherwise I am very much at risk of going “oh, I read a book, that sounded good, now I can eat stuff again… whoops, where did the whole tray of brownies go? Oh yes, in my face….”

However, that said, I still haven’t overeaten on my non FD since reading the book which, for me, is a ruddy miracle. Like Michelle and others of you have also said, my problem wasn’t the days when I am not allowed to eat, it’s the days I am allowed to! Weird. I’m coming up to my 1 year anniversary of being on the Fast Diet and I just can’t believe that suddenly I am getting some control on my non FDs.

Jade I’d be interested to know how you get on once you’re past the 2 brain bit!

Spring – I too am really skeptical about ‘magical cures’ and ‘amazing journeys’ – I also assume the author is just out to make a load of royalties. I was in two minds about downloading the book (the reviews were mixed) but then thought I would give it a whirl. So far it’s been worth it for me… however I am anxious about calling it too early in case it comes back to bite me on the arse in the shape of an enormous ‘I told you so’ binge….

Queen – to breakfast or not to breakfast – I am now SOLD on the no breakfast. It definitely opens up my appetite and basically whatever time I start eating is pretty much a solid graze then til bedtime. No breakfast club is a winner for me.

Oh Penguin being called skinny must have been lovely, give that student an A+ from us!

Mcca, I laughed so hard – “oh I bought a book, that was good, now what can I eat” – soooo true. I mean, surely if I keep buying books, I’ll get the hang of this?? I don’t quite get the 2-brain thing, I’m not sure I have even one brain sometimes. But I’m still reading 🙂

Twirly, nonFDs are big problems even for long-termers. It really is the hardest thing about 5:2, because heaven knows we all know how to diet. We just don’t know how to not diet. Wishing you luck tomorrow, but whatever happens, here’s a been-there {hug} in advance.

So I did OK for once on a nonFD today. Two meals of around 6-700 cals each, so that kept me from needing to snack in between. Note to self: see? don’t snack and you get a big-ass meal to enjoy.

Penguin, indeed that student is very smart! And sounds as though your secret weapon is oatmeal – it’s great to have a low-cal standby that really floats the boat on a FD. If you’re near a Costco, they sell gigantic tubs of oatmeal for like 5 cents 🙂 and blueberries too!

Michel, all or nothing describes a lot of my days too. I’m still obsessed with that 6-stick butter cake, DARN it was pretty, and you all know I will bake that thing at some point. Maybe I can take it to a party. With at least 16 people there 🙂 of course. Or a flame-thrower.

Wonder how Annette got on at the market on a FD? Such a mind field (oops meant mine field but maybe mind field is more accurate). Hope the day went well for you Annette!

OK fast clubbers, stay strong, stay mindful, split your brain in two if you must, but keep going! We can do it. xxxx

Morning All,
    I had to buy something on the way to the supermarket to get a coin for the trolley, which resulted in a pack of 5 cookies. I ate 1.Managed to get past the bakery aisle twice without any pastry but did leave with a 6 pack of individual ice cream on a stick. Ate a FD meal when I got home, but couldn’t resist an ice cream.So I had one and it was lovely even though I was cross with myself for giving in. Never mind, the weight is on a downward trajectory, although a slow one, but then my habits have to change and that takes time.

I stopped secret eating and binging when I started to tot up the gms of sugar in food. On the basis we should not consume more than 6 teaspoons sugar a day or 24g in both hidden and obvious sugar It is easy to count to 24 and quite shocking how easy and quickly it is, but if you can reduce the sugar consumption, then the addiction weakens too. Sugar is in savoury foods too. Most packs are labelled. Try it for a week and see how you get on.

Hi,

Just dropping in for a random morning comment. Penguin and twirly, other people’s food can be a nightmare, it’s getting that fine balance isn’t it, not getting too anxious and eating mindfully… but with me I still have two bites and think…. I want more. Penguin, I don’t know if this helps but I would have pizza with loads and I mean loads of salad, we’re talking a massive bag of spinach, peppers… everyone laughs at me but pizza almost ends up being a healthy meal for me and I don’t dread it any more.

With regards to party snacks remember sometimes throwing them away is the easiest thing, or giving whole packets away. I have stopped beating myself up about parties etc but I have gained weight, if I eat what my appetite tells me to, when starting on sugary stuff I don’t stop, it’s really frustrating everyone else is satisfied but me, I go on and on until I feel sick and just wish i hadn’t any in the first place.

Jade that’s fantastic two 600 – 700 kcal meals, I really think that’s the way to go for me too on a non fasting day. I find it so hard to give up snacking and I have to say often, when I’m feeling flat food is what I really look forward to. I get so grumpy when not snacking and have to remind myself, this isn’t punishment, this is me being kind to myself.

Just a little rant here, I am going to a charity event and my little one’s school, they have already said there will be a tuck shop and to bring money (nightmare as my LO doesn’t have my genes, if they snack then they don’t want their tea… oh well) then the mum’s are meeting for… wait for it… cake. I went for a playdate yesterday and the mum had made a beautiful carrot cake… I just thought ok, well be polite and mindful… oh that butter cream…. it just switches on my gluttony button… then my little one didn’t eat their’s so I had most of it (I know…!) then I got home and my husband says he is starving and has brought a massive pile of food for supper and said “you aren’t going to let me eat this alone are you” sometimes it just feels like hard work but if I do let my tired “oh never mind” brain come into it every day like I did yesterday I would be 30 stone. Eating healthily is sometimes hard work and you girlies are right to preplan what you will do at events whereby there is no doubt about it will be tough.

It’s on my pennies worth, but sometimes, especially when kids are around, when I reflect I think I wish had just eating three of those cakes and let myself, as otherwise I end up stuffing loads and loads and thinking “oh s** it!”

Another side note, Penguin you talking about porridge, I have binged on porridge before and when I measured out 500kcal of porridge it seemed like a small bowl!!! I just love carbs, they don’t have to be sugar laden, but, I thought of you a few weeks ago when I ate a packet of oat cakes, they re filling, i can see on a fasting day they would definitely “hit the spot”. i also meant to say i really respect you “getting back on it” we are foodies, food is our drug of choice, the fact we are here shows that food is something we will always find lovely and life isn’t always a bed of roses, we fall off the wagon sometimes. It’s making sure to get back on the wagon, or work out why we fell and how to either prevent it happening gain or how to soften the fall for next time…

Twirly food thrown in the bin is less wasteful than in your tummy if you didn’t want it in the first place. This comes from the woman who couldn’t throw her chocolate bars away… it almost felt disloyal…!

PS thank you folks for answering my questions on breakfast… isn’t it weird how we are all so similar. What do you all do thought, when yo are woken early with kids and they are demanding their breakfast? copious coffee?

Hi Bingeingqueen, just had to lol with regards to the husband coming home and food comment its so true. I have a straight face and say no thanks save if for tomorrow most times but on some days its like heck lets go for it and i indulge but thanks to 5:2 which gives you the chance to vary you fast days, i just make the next day a fast day and voila back on track.

Whilst i am making breakfast for the kids i brew myself a 40oz green tea and sip sip sip.

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Note to self:
    Sugar is bad for you.
    You do not need to eat all the left over cake.
    It is ok for it to be thrown away!

I’m in control and I decide!

Hugs & Strength to all!

Queen – yes, copious coffee. Maybe w/bit of cream. I’m a coffee-to-start girl anyway. If I get up super early, I eat around 10ish. But waiting gives me some kind of super-power that I don’t understand, but I don’t question. I’m almost normal. Decent lunch, then no craving for snacks before a decent dinner. Before, with my puny little micro-lunch, I wanted snacks all afternoon. Like Michel, I’m all or nothing. Might as well roll with it.

Hey foomsy! Copious tea sounds good, too. sip sip sip.

And yeah, the husband…main reason I save my FD calories for dinner. But as long as salad/veg are available, I can make any meal work. Cover my plate with salad, put small portion of X on top – voila, a pizza salad – actually not too bad.

Mind you ALL, I only have super-powers when I behave. Days are long, and behaving is hard 🙂

Annette, congrats on escaping the grocery with as little harm as you did. Sugar is a tough habit to break. It is in everything. Michel, did you really throw away cake? High five!

Downward trajectory here too – great to see control has had an effect, slow as it has been. I keep remembering the “lovely muscles” comment. Very motivating.

Hold tight to the lard baton, everyone – Kitty how are you getting on? Are you in Mexico drinking concoctions out of coconuts? Wish I were there!

xxx jade

I think that Nike have something with the ‘just do it’. It has become a mantra for me. The warm afternoon sun was glorious and I do love to run in the sun, but had to talk myself into going.I ran for 3 miles with the sun on my back or into those glorious rays and felt brilliant when I got home. It is my most favourite feeling, better than chocolate or ice cream or even fish and chips!
    Fast Day-just do it! Eat below the TDEE…just do it!

This is a way of life, NOT a diet and so habits have to be changed which is never going to be easy. However, I want to improve the body, find more lovely muscles and trim some more.
    We can do it…despite all the cookery programmes that seem to be on a FD!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,151 through 1,200 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.