T2 Diabetes, low/no carb and 5:2

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Purple Vegie Eater 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I’ve been following the 5:2 diet for about 5 weeks now, on the advice of my diabetes nurse but so far haven’t lot any weight which is a bit (no, a lot!) disheartening. I’m type 2 diabetic, fat and over forty but I’ve started working out 5 days out of 7 at the gym and have noticed that I’m definitely toning up which is great and it could be that muscle weight is the issue but still….

However, I wonder whether the non weight loss is because I’m trying to observe a low/no carb regime on every day of the 7 given that my diabetes nurse said to eat no more carbs in a day than I could fit in the palm of my hand. I really don’t eat a lot anyway and not eating carbs kind of makes me eat even less than I normally would (and boy would I LOVE a piece of toast!)

Not sure whether I actually need to up the eating on the 5 days and actually include a moderate amount of carbs, but I really would like to see some weight loss – there’s plenty on me to go around. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated!

Hi and welcome:

Your advice nurse is giving you a version of the latest research on curing type 2 diabetes, except most doctors that implement the course of treatment use ADF, not 5:2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZ4UqtbB_g

As for your 5:2 experience, I’m assuming you go to bed, get up, eat 500 calories or less of fat/protein while you are awake, go to bed, get up and eat your new diet as prescribed – twice a week. During your non diet day, you should eat to your TDEE or less – here is some information on TDEE: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

If you are doing the above correctly, it is probably your exercise that is the ‘problem’. It is not the muscle weight, it is the water retention that accompanies new exercise that masks the fat weight loss caused by the diet: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/exercise-is-dangerous-for-your-diet/

If you keep on exercising, especially if your exercise is intensifying as you go, for perhaps as long as two or three months you will see little if any weight loss. You have to wait until the fat weight loss exceeds the water retention weight before scale losses start to show up.

Eating more carbs than you have been counseled to eat will not help you in any way.

Good Luck!

ChilliGal, I would echo what simcoeluv is saying. It is very, very important to avoid eating more carbs in your situation. In fact, it would be a really good idea to actually count carb grams every day and ask your diabetes nurse what number of grams you should stay below. Many people find that they are losing inches even when they are not losing pounds, and take encouragement from that. I would not stop exercising in order to get the scale to give me a better number, because exercise also improves insulin sensitivity, which will help you lose weight in the long run. How is your blood sugar control? Is that getting better on your new regimen?

I lost 40 pounds with 5:2 plus gradually increasing my walking to 10,000 steps/day, even though I have multiple medical problems, but, luckily for me, diabetes wasn’t one of them. It’s especially hard to lose weight when you have type 2 diabetes, but intermittent fasting and carb restriction are the best things available for reversing it, and, with insulin levels falling, the pounds should start to come down, too. I would super encourage you to keep at it even though you haven’t seen the results you want yet. I know it’s tough. Good luck!

Thank you both. Simcoeluv – yes, I do precisely as you describe on ‘2’ days and was wondering whether I was missing something. I wasn’t au fait with the TDEE to be honest, but am now much better informed – thank you. I also wasn’t aware of the water retention issue relating to a new exercise regime, but must admit that (yippee) I HAVE noticed that I have a ‘waist’ emerging and that my jeans are somewhat looser, not to say I feel so much more energised – all good of course! I’m not terribly hung up about the number on the scale being the grail but it is a relatively easily accessible ‘measure’ and not one that was changing if you see what I mean.

Franfit – as a T2 I’m not measuring blood sugar on a daily basis as a T1 would – yet – so it’s hard to know within a 3 month window what effect it’s having until I get my HBAC results through the nurse so to speak. However, I had a blood test immediately prior to starting the regime properly (5:2 and exercise) and am due one soon – I have high hopes… I will keep at it, I’m not discouraged purely because the scales aren’t showing results yet, but I was curious as to whether the low carb regime was an issue with the losing of weight.

Thanks again

ChilliGal, you sound like your living in the UK.

I was in the same boat as you, Type II, overweight, well fat, when I stumbled over fasting and then the 5:2 diet. I wanted to break the cycle of insulin resistance and thought fasting might be the key. Like you I had my HbA1c done before I started on the fasting. It was 63 in January and I was given a prescription for Metformin. Like you, I was not bad enough to get a glucose meter so I had to guess.

I stopped taking Metformin after two to three weeks. In April my HbA1c was 48, in well controlled range. However, I have lost a considerable amount of weight although for me the diabetes control is more important than the scales. I am losing waist line and people are now commenting on the disappearing triple chin.

You might find the blogs of Dr Fung interesting whose video simcoeluv linked. He treats diabetics with fasting, has some amazing results posted only. From personal communication with him I know that he uses both 5:2 and ADF depending on the diabetic.
    http://kidneylifescience.ca/category/dr-jason-fung/

Chilligal
    It is a pity you can’t daily test your BS as it really is incredibly rewarding to see how low and stable it becomes as you lose weight and reduce your girth on 5:2. My husband has had incredible success with fasting. He was able to get off insulin injections and looks fabulous.
    We found cutting out carbs, alcohol and fat on fast days did the trick. Stick to lean protein and leafy veg. We eat carefully, but a normal healthy diet on other days. He lost over 30kg in a year and looks and feels great. The biggest thrill is winning over the downhill spiral of diabetes.
    It DOES work. Good luck
    PVE 🙂

Good work PVE.

I have to admit I am not always “good” on the non fasting days but now my body seems able to cope with the odd cookie or ice cream.

My boy is not always “good” either, but as he can test his BS every morning he gets very quick feedback and is learning (slowly) what really causes problems. It is a great way of teaching him. He wouldn’t listen to me, like most men he needs to see the figures on a machine!
    Dummerchen is right, Dr Fung’s YouTubes are excellent.
    😉 PVE

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.