I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 3,046 total)

• Well done mcca! And right, no reward binges (we ALL know what those are). I appreciate your wise words about sugar binges and 5:2, I think it’s a lifetime thing for me too.

I do the 2 FDs and also skip breakfast every day. I have tried every way I can, but if I eat breakfast, odds are I’ll snack all day and never feel satisfied. My control is like water going down a drain, I can’t stop it leaving, I just watch the day turn into a gigantic fail. So if I’m hungry, the few hours wait for a nice lunch is worth it. And controlling that hunger does reset my sense of control on nonFDs. I do try to save 100 cals on a FD for a bit of plain yogurt before bed.

Melb so right – we are all different. Though half-crazy given the contradictory advice spewing from everywhere. (I just read an article in Runner’s World that said you should rely on exercise ALONE to reduce weight – WTF.) We’ve all discovered a new sense of control through fasting, which makes it easier to see what actually sets us off.

So after our trip, I’ve nothing to give baby reindeer for the week, in fact I’m overdrawn, so to speak. I blame the delicious cocktails (yep full of sugar), followed by the Hangover Kraken who showed up with pastries. Indeed, Annette, WHERE IS THE JUSTICE. I jogged for miles and skipped breakfast, yet still it was too much. So I need to kick ass this week. I’m considering a FD today as we’re not partying despite the Labor Day holiday. Who else is on the fast train? xx

ps: Michel enjoy your pool party, hope it’s fabulous!

Thank you all for your wonderful support. Clearly following a training schedule helped as I feel fine today apart from very sore abs, and sadly no sign of a 6 pack!
    Here is the maths for HM day, bearing in mind my TDEE is 1800.
    Bfast 400
    Ran/walked 13.1=1500 calories..really..that is all.
    During the run sports drink=140 cals and jelly beans (378 cals/100g)consumed 150g=567 cals.
    Post race 1 pint of milk=190 cals
    Tube of pringles=1000
    pain chocolat 411 calsx2=822 cals
    Roast dinner=500
    Grand total of calories scoffed=3619 Calories earned 1500.
    I forgot to step on the scales this morning but will try and remember tomorrow to see what the damage is. I am going to try to be mindful this week and will join you all next week with x2 FD of 500 and 5 NFD of no more than 1800.

Hello Team,

I am logging in for support and also to provide hope. I had been doing so much better, and had been feeling so much happier for not bingeing and looking forward to healthy food and not actually rewarding myself with food. It’s always there- i mean, everywhere… but I had been enjoying feeling hungry and feeling like I was in charge.

Today I fell down, I was up early running my husband to the station, and had a disrupted night (and have a cold). I felt really moody all day, I had had breakfast… then by 12.00 had seen an offer on chocolate and couldn’t resist. Oh that chocolate, one of the finest dark varieties was meant to last a few days… whoops. It all went. Then I vowed to have nothing else, and by 3 pm, an empty house and ill child… and I was off…. cheerios, bread… so now I’m full and feeling even more “why on earth did I do it?” it cheered me up at the time. I think the whole point was I already felt bad then just thought, “oh why not” we had had guests so lots of food I wouldn’t normally buy in the house. Sigh.
    I have a big event in 18 days time, and if kcal are all about maths, then I have probably had enough to last me the rest of the week. So feeling disappointed with myself. I thought I had turned a corner…

Sorry to moan group. I know you will understand. It’s not the end of the world, but back to being mindful but trying to avoid getting angry with my own contradictory behaviour!
    xx

Bingeing Queen – please don’t apologise. We have all been there. We know FUs happen. We know that kraken is real.

I know you feel shitty right now. The bread demon can do that. But listen to this wise woman:

“I had been doing so much better, and had been feeling so much happier for not bingeing and looking forward to healthy food and not actually rewarding myself with food. It’s always there- i mean, everywhere… but I had been enjoying feeling hungry and feeling like I was in charge.”

Does she sound like a failure to you? To me, she sounds like someone who is fighting the long fight to take control of her eating, and winning; someone who had one day of bread and chocolate, who recognises it for what it is, and who is not going to let that day define her next meal.

FREE HUGS TO EVERYONE!

Well said Melb. I have nothing else to add, it is perfect.

Give yourself a hug.

I have tears just reading these last few posts. So wonderfully said, all of you. No failures here. Joining in the free hugs <3

Melb100, Annette and Jade, thank you!

Melb, such wise words… not from me, but kind of you to make it sound like they originated from me 🙂 . You are right to highlight one mistake does not mean I am defined by it, but interesting the psychology of it, and the contradictory side of me. I didn’t enjoy the feeling afterwards, I feel even more demotivated when I did it, my goals are for better energy, weight and cholesterol… and I really believe the fasting diet and improving my diet has made me feel so much better….

It reminds me to be mindful, it will happen. It’s hard to not try to mentally add up all (kcal) that I have had… ! Also,does anyone else find that the binge days also correlate with days that you don’t get much else achieved… low mood, not much done… and overeaten.

Thank you so much…mental note to self back on track (albeit a bit heavier!).

Sharing my note to self (and group)

Avoid buying chocolate on offer regularly …. I WIL it eat it all in one go (even if it is of the darker variety) despite any good intentions, throw out the sugary stuff left by guests (it’s not wasting it if I was just going to eat it anyway or give it away) . Avoid eating too much early on in the day and keep busy on non food related tasks even if I do feel ill and grumpy.

xx

PPS Thank you for the free hugs … sob … enjoying it…

Walking is a really great activity not only for fitness, but really helps lift the mood. Have you thought about using a pedometer? The average number of steps that people take is between 3-4000, but the aim should be 10,000. I no longer own a car and walk to work which is 5,000 each way and takes me just 45 minutes each way. I certainly notice that I am grumpy when I don’t get out for a good walk every day, so that might help lift your mood and help with the kraken.
    Try not buying any chocolate for a week. I find that I can’t have it and scoff it, if it isn’t in the house. Try almonds, which are both good for you and fill you up. Just 144 calories for 25g. I found that when I thought about how far I would have to walk to burn up whatever chocolate I had eaten, I found that it wasn’t worth it for me. That really helped me to be in control. If I decided that I wanted it and chose to have it, then I made sure that I enjoyed it without any guilt. Interesting thing was that I found that those times became less and less without me really noticing as the weeks tick by.
    Remember that voice in your head. Make sure that it says kind, supportive and positive comments. Think about what you would say to someone else and make sure that you say those things to yourself. Being negative really doesn’t help. Be kind to yourself. None of us became overweight over night and the habits that we have developed will take time to unpick, but every teeny tiny thing that we can do to help unravel that behaviour and habit, will lay the foundation to a more healthy relationship with food. It isn’t food that makes us fat, it is habit. Change the habit….

Oh Queen, I really wouldn’t beat yourself up (easier said than done I know) However – Firstly you know you FU, Secondly you said yourself you felt like shit after (rather than carrying on), Thirdly YOU ARE NOT ALONE. My goodness we all do it & sometimes I think it helps it realise that the sugar hit / Bloated feeling is not something we enjoy & get us back on track. I personally am no good with any ‘forbidden’ food in the house. So I just don’t buy them.
    Have you tried making Cho protein balls? Or any sweet cacao treat with dates? They usually kerb the sugar craving.
    Everyone seems to have great advice & be very understanding,
    Annette, when you break it down like that its depressing to see the truth eh?
    Jade, what a crock of shit in runner world, Its 80% food, articles like that make me cross. If it was just exercise id be a stick insect! ha

Don’t train to eat / Eat to train, that’s the truth of it.
    Im on my second ever FD.. Cant get food out of my head, did have preworkout before gym but so far that & a coffee are only thing to pass my lips.. roll on bed time! Im too scared to get back on scales, should I wait until 1 week since first FD?

Huggles & strength to you all. x

Queen – firstly at least you faced up to your binge AND ON THE SAME DAY! That’s amazing. I remember Penguin telling us she’d been given advice that was something along the lines of if you drop your phone and break the screen, do you then proceed to smash up the rest of it with a hammer? Actually being mindful and stopping a binge – I don’t know about you – but to me that would be an achievement in itself.

These things will happen, I think forever, it’s just how often hopefully is decreasing, and how you cope with it afterwards.

Hoping you are managing OK now x

Thank you for all your support people. The most bizarre thing this morning I woke up wanting more chocolate … even after all that! So I have planned to go and get a chocolate protein bar… and am surviving on coffee …for the moment.

I am fine if I don’t have access to unlimited supplies.

I also think, like you say Annettee, it’s habit. The last few weeks, as I said, I had got out of overeating, I was craving dinner (don’t get me wrong, I always think about food!) but I didn’t have the ….godzilla, that “I want to eat it now” primal urge! I was reading, not to absolve from responsibility, about an impulsive gene that overweight people may have, and it’s something that I wonder I have to be mindful , especially if tired, I want food, bulk, more food, roar… chocolate, lots, bread lots…. anyway… a combination of habit and genes…either way, I think I was getting slightly cocky… I was even starting to add more monounsaturated fat into my diet as I wasn’t wasting kcal on junk… and wanted to see the effect on my HDL cholesterol… but now I’m trying to avoid any extra kcal! Anyway, I thought I had become almost…normal. I think I will always have to think careful…

Annette your idea of a walk is brilliant and I am going to plan one in each morning. I have found, and I should have thought about this yesterday, but when I am tired, at home and there is food that I overeat in the house, I usually can’t rely on willpower alone. I think starting the day positively is also helpful!

Alwaysdieting and Jade, oh if only it was just the exercise…. mind you, exercise can help and sometimes it’s worth it, I think I survived for years when I was doing a lot of running on allowing myself to have a 100g chocolate bar everyday… unfortunately all that running took it’s toll on my knees. Over the past few weeks I have learnt though that I just eat way too much and as I became a lot stricter (i.e no one else may see me clean up my child’s plate, or pick at that choice bar in the cupboard, or have the odd handful of cereal..ahem…but my body notices) and when I got stricter about the kcal I have to say weight did start to come off, even when my fasting days were probably about 600-700 kcal!

Back to it all. Best of luck and thank you for all your support. On my own I would probably be causing global chocolate shortages by now….

x

I also meant to say well done Annette!

I am in a pinic right now….I don’t know why I become a binger after I have l have done this for 4 weeks…Yes…I am avid for food now??!!What should I do ?….and when I am in fast diet day,I only eat tomatoes ,eggs and bananas to keep cals under 500…it is wrong?(sometimes I keep eating all day or a shot period between eating times and each time just eat a little so that it won’t over 500 cals,too )

Queen, you pointed out my problem exactly. Sometimes I do feel quite like a normal eater, almost cocky as you say, and so I eat breakfast or whatever and it’s hello again Godzilla.

So my control is just a learned response for now. I skip breakfast because I know what’ll happen, NOT because I’m not hungry. I hope new habits are getting cemented, even if by force.

Steward, we’re all still bingers, in the process of controlling ourselves by identifying binge triggers. I wonder if snacking is one of yours? I read something about snacks messing with insulin resistance and hunger control. Snacking keeps me hungry all day. I’d rather not eat at all. So on FDs I don’t, until dinner. On other days, I aim for a decent lunch and dinner so I won’t snack. Mind you, these are goals. I fall on my face all too often. Just not as often as before!

Had a semi-successful FD yesterday, probably 800. Roasted veggies were a little too tasty. Almost had to wire my jaws shut this morning to skip breakfast, but so far so good. Maybe hunger will go away?? HO ho ho, right.

Hugs to all, fasting or acting “normal” today, may the force be with you. 🙂 xxx

I am sure that there is something addictive about the sweet stuff. I’ve gone from jelly babies and sports drink to chocolate, biscuits and today sticky toffee pudding followed with biscuits dunked in my tea! What has happened? I feel tired and sluggish, but just kept shoveling the rubbish in.I will be doing a FD on Thursday this week, or I will be the size of a house by the weekend….

I found when I was training, that If Iwent too low carb or too low fat I craved sugar. Keep the good fats up eggs, butter, avocados and maybe light carbs, sweet potato or something. its a balancing act definitely.

Thanks Ottoline.
    I thought that I had been sensible eating avocados/fish/butter etc all along, but now the half is done, it is like jelly beans have been a gateway to scoffing nonsense for the past few days. I really have to stop with the sugary stuff, just empty calories with lots of calories….and it makes me feel rubbish.

Annette “and it makes me feel rubbish.” trying to remember that in the heat of the moment can be tough. Can you get them out of your way… ? I am sure you are way better than me with impulse control, but if it’s there and you’re tired and (you will be tired)… Like you say a very fine balance though, your body is craving to aid recovery. I know if I have a really “healthy meal” sometimes I’m better off having what I craved and end up eating less i.e, a pizza with salad. Can you portion yourself off some sweeties within your allowance? I think I am preaching to the converted here, but try not to beat yourself up about it, I think it’s part physiological response at the moment.

Anyway Annette how are the plans going for the next race? 😉

Ok, I am planning a strictest fast tomorrow. I have realised I won’t be able to go the whole day without eating so it will be a frothy coffee for breakfast and lunch so I can sit with my little one. Then a kcal controlled meal for the evening.

How is everyone else?

x

PS Does anyone else have triggers / times when they are more vulnerable to overeating?

I have recognised I am most vulnerable at 3 or 4pm every day without fail…. if I am in the house alone…. especially if I have had little sleep I will overeat at this time. Also first thing in the morning as I seek anything to get me out of the “morning grog”.

Apologies for the typos in my last post…it’s still early!

Queen – yes I have the 4pm slump. I get absolutely ravenous (actual hunger, most unusual for me) and then usually snack away so much I feel too sick and full to eat dinner. I think it might have something to do with being on the ‘child clock’ so everything is earlier.

OK Fast Club here is something odd I did but it seems to be working so far. We had some people over for dinner and they brought a box of mixed chocolates (truffles, crunchy ones, soft ones, pralines etc). Now I could eat sweet stuff for England however this kind isn’t really my favorite. They’re the kind that I eat (whole box) and then afterwards always think ‘oh they really weren’t worth it’. Anyhow I received the box and sort of looked at it sideways and I could see my post-party binge eat already…. (you know, when you’ve eaten a full 3 course meal and then decide that the obvious thing to do is follow it by a whole box of chocolates).

But I knew that I don’t really love these chocs, so I picked up the box and said out loud to the box (obviously when nobody was there!) – I DON’T WANT TO EAT YOU (emphasis on WANT). Anyway that box is still there, wrapper intact, 5 days later. Just wondering if anyone else wanted to give it a try and see if it works for them too??

Oh nice idea, mcca – I’ll try that one! Glad it has worked for you. I need to have that little talk with a certain loaf of bread. I think I’ll do that right now (though unlike your chocs, I really fancy this bread :(). Could not seem to get enough of it last night.

My scarfy time is after dinner these days. Used to be late afternoon, but since shifting my first meal to lunch, I guess I shifted my slump time too. I remember though the ravenous feeling, often stopping for a snack on the way home, then eating dinner anyway. Bleah. Why why why…. Good to recognize it as a trigger time, so thanks for that idea Queen!

FD for me after pigging on bread last night. I’m not stepping on the scales until tomorrow! Good luck fasters, normal eaters, and all you lovely Fast Clubbers. xx

If I have a pudding at work then I plunge into a slump shortly afterwards that makes me seek more of the sweet stuff for the rest of the day and as I have found it is remarkably easy to slip back into that habit! I have decided that for this week only I will indulge in what I fancy although I am not sure that my body needs these carbs as recovery either.
    I find that 4 pm is my usual slump and that 25g of whole almonds will then fill me up and pick me up until dinner at 6.30.
    mcca I did something similar with a box of chocolates that I was given in July. They are still sealed and in the back of my wardrobe, where they are safe from my boys and will be unveiled at Christmas.
    Queen. I don’t usually have sweets in the house or buy them anymore. I look at the calories and invariably decide that they are not worth that portion of the TDEE. But having eaten them again, they are having a pull that I thought I had cracked. Clearly not yet! There is a very local Half in early March, but training through the winter is grim, but I am thinking about joining a running club(the beginners) to see if I can improve my time from very slow to OK. It is all a bit daunting but I might just give it a go and that is 2 potential evenings a week, but then we all have to start somewhere.
    Try a handful of nuts Jade. Protein and therefore filling.

Hey Fast Clubbers!

Confession time.
    I spent the past 7 days on sugar island and managed to gain 9.5 lbs!
    I have an amazing ability to go into denial.
    There has been no self-loathing just a total disconnect between my actions and the consequences. It’s like I have a split personality.

So, I grabbed hold of the Lard Baton & I’m fasting today! Nothing to eat till dinner. Kraken be damned.

Annette – Congrats on your HM

Ps: I learned eating all the junk triggers my night sweats.

Strength & Control to us all!

Oh Michell, I feel for you. Well done on grabbing the lard baton and putting a stop to it. The only consolation might be that i’ve found that for weight put on really fast like that, can be fast to take off again too x

Mcca – Thanks . I know it won’t come of as fast as it went on, but still a little faster. I just have to commit to fasting & staying in TDEE. (It sounds so easy)

The trick Michell is just to focus on 7 little days only, no more than that. Now, we can all do 2 FD and 5 at our TDEE. Just do a day at a time.

I will be joining you all very soon.

Don’t forget that we have a reindeer to grow from a newborn to an adult.

Very bad day here too 🙁 a bad week…?

Queen – I feel your pain, so hard to get motivated and change the mindset. As Annette says “a day at a time”.

C’mon guys, we CAN do this!

Michel, you’re back – yay! Good for you for popping that kraken in the chops, even if you had to battle him a while. You did NOT gain 9 lbs in a week – that would mean 4750 over tdee every day. Haha, watch me mathify that &**%ing scale. 🙂 Anyway, no permanent harm done, quickly on = quickly off. Drink lots of lemon water and flush out whatever is masquerading as fat on your scale.

We’ve had a pretty wild week here. But duh, it’s the end of summer. Parties, cocktails, trips, road races… They’re meant to be enjoyed AND I’M GLAD WE DID. But they do jack with our appetites, eating options, etc. I spent a few days on Hangover Island myself. Ah well, life called. No sense trying to be perfect when I’m this far in the hole at my age. Happy to have some control most of the time. I’m starting to sound like Mark Twain. Or was it Abraham Lincoln. Hmm, food for thought 🙂

Annette, I’m almost glad to hear that the lure of sweets still gets you, because it definitely gets me when the time is right — which it has been lately 🙂 But being a normal eater, at least in my universe, had better include some wild-ass sugar ecstacy from time to time, or I’ll move to a different universe. And I say that with full control (finally) today as I have a roast and veggies in the oven and not a cookie left in the house.

Strength to everyone, now let’s grab tight to the lard baton. I have 400 calories left and hoping to make this day a win:) xxxx

Ps I didn’t mention – I’ve eaten like a pig all day. Predictable reward binge. So, I can give out the advice all right… But have yet to follow it myself. Let’s try for a better day tomorrow, eh? X

Evening All!

I managed a successful FD.
    Had to fight off the Kraken once I got home. No sweets here but still have some party food left.

Annette – Yes, we can!

Jade – We’ll see what the scale says tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s a lot of water weight. We ate lots of salty food in addition to the tons of sugar.
    Sounds like you enjoyed the holiday weekend. Gotta live a little, right?

Mcca – Tomorrow is a new day….we are in control!

Hugs to you all!

Michel, I have had a bad week too. It’s a case of “getting back on it” but so easily said sometimes. I knew I felt like I wanted to eat everything yesterday when I woke and looked at porridge and didn’t one one bowl… I wanted ten! I had tried to preprepare by planning for the day, but the day changed and I was buying cakes for little ones at 12 pm and was feeling very flat and thought I would cheer myself up with food. It’s very odd how I have had a couple of weeks feeling fantastic, the plan was working and to be honest, it was no hardship as I felt great.

Then the last few days, at certain points in the day it’s felt like climbing a mountain to just not get that ahhh lovely a pack of biscuits, cereal vast quantities of food! It’s odd how it’s not always there but I rarely feel full, I just want more. I definitely fall into the compulsive eating category. Any way, that’s me.

I do think, in a normal day, knowing my afternoon slump times helps… I don’t allow myself access during those times. I’m also wonder f if my morning coffees are worsening the slumps. I will definitely try the almonds, thank you Annette- however I will have to measure them out!!!

I’m also going back to prioritising sleep. I don’t think it’s been a coincidence this last week we have been having six hours maybe less and it’s been broken a few times every night.

Good luck to all. I hope it doesn’t make things harder hearing my struggles, I hope to self reflect and maybe help? I don’t want to demotivated and I really think fasting can work, it has been the only thing that allows me to actually feel full after a meal, to recognise when I have had enough.

I meant to ask what you all thought about (particularly you Annette) the body’s set point, the weight it wants to stay at? I was a little worried after having a few lovely weeks maybe my body is craving putting back on that weight… Or maybe I’m just trying to justify my gluttony!

Good luck to all. I love the reindeer idea- let’s make a monster! X

Jade – I meant to say – WOW – missing breakfast after a FD. That’s hardcore. I RUN out of bed after a FD and head straight to the kitchen.

Always – how was your weigh in? I always (ha, no pun!) weigh in the morning AFTER weigh in, and after the loo (!)

Queen – sleep deprivation definitely makes me hungry. Re the body’s set point – a friend of mine who is slim and a personal trainer once told me that the body keeps trying to go back to your ‘fat’ weight and that to re-set the body’s internal set point you have to loose the weight and then keep it off for a year. This plan gives me hope as it is the first time I have ever lost weight and then kept it off for more than a month or so. It’s very slow but at least I think for the first time, achievable and something that can be maintained.

x

Sleep deprivation is the PITS. I feel so drained – and studies show it increases the hunger hormone’s effect. I hope you can get better sleep, dear Queen. And heck yes, hearing about your struggles helps me understand mine. If nothing else, I know I’m not alone in the fight.

Congrats on the FD, Michel!! They’re a b*tch after a sugar festival. And with party food still in the house, you get a gold kraken-busting star for that. I hope you feel the power today.

Re set point: I’ve noticed my weight stays constant for weeks, except for the yoyoing between FDs and nonFDs. I don’t think the body “wants” to be a certain weight, just that it’s used to that weight. So mcca — maybe a plateau is the body’s getting used to a new weight? And if we keep the weight off for a full year (eek), it’ll get easier to maintain, I hope! Actually doesn’t sound that bad, as I plan to keep doing this indefinitely.

Annette, great way to think about things, just one day at a time, into 7 little days, which we have all done before. Your wizardry is always appreciated. I know it’s just math but you have a way of making it sound easier.

My Wed FD was again a bit higher than 500, but I did wait until dinner and didn’t lose my mind – but the roast was pretty yummy. Skipping breakfast after FD today, getting easier, esp since I got bought some excellent coffee to brew at home. Much more satisfying.

Kitty have you left on your trip to Mexico? Hope you are well and happy. Love and strength to all in Fast Club. xxxxx

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Seeking strength this am.
    Wholesaler just brought in a huge selection of Starbucks goodies. This happens once a month & I usually unhinged my jaw and eat everything I can sneak. I really wanted to be sugar free today. Still trying to recover from my 7 day binge. Yesterday’s FD helped but…….

Queen – I totally believe in the body’s set point. I know it can be adjusted either up our down, but it takes real effort to maintain a new low over time.
    I’m a big believer in the benefits of proper sleep. I hope you can continue to make it a priority.
    The almonds are a great idea. Try eating sliced almonds (you feel like you are getting more) and measure them out the day before and hide the big bag. 🙂
    If I didn’t want to hear about others struggles I would be on a different forum. It helps me to know I’m not alone.

Mcca – I hope you are having a better day.

Jade – Congrats on your successful FD.

Now, if I can just stay out of the kitchen and away from the goodies.

Strength to us all!

Woot! I outlasted the sweets!
    I made it till lunch before eating & they were all gone. I think that is a first. To bad it took a 9 lb binge for me to find the strength to say no. Having soup for lunch and a salad is on the menu for dinner.

Stay Strong Clubbers! We can do this 1 day at a time!

Interesting thoughts. I think that the set weight notion might have more to do with our mental state rather than the physical. What part of ‘the body’ wants to be a particular weight?
    I do think that habit is the key. None of us became overweight overnight and there will have been numerous factors that contributed to that, no doubt. I was convinced that I couldn’t get below 13 stone, but by eating less calories with Weight Watchers I did and then I maintained at 11 stone 11 lb for several years and thought it impossible to lose any more, when I started the 5:2 and lost weight. Before the Half I was pondering this as I had reached the 10st 5lb and didn’t seem to be able to get any lower although I know that the answer is to consume fewer calories and then I will reach that very elusive 10 stone.
    I find it staggering how little I need on my plate to fill me up physically. Emotional hunger or boredom, loneliness and anger….are all something quite different and yet somehow food has become ‘the fixer’. How did that happen? Why?
    On that note I am joining everyone who is on a FD tomorrow. I need to reset my eating again before I face the scales on Saturday, but I am weirdly worried about it, which is bonkers as I have done it lots of times before.

That’s interesting Annette, I know I would find , years ago, I would have stages of bingeing, health kicks and would always end up at ten stone.

You make some great points. Like you say, we use food for so much more than hunger suppression and life!

Fd for me tomorrow too, thinking of you all x

Annette I am joining you on a fast tomorrow. I’m ALWAYS scared of the scales x

Evening Fasters!

I managed a full day w/ no sugar. I had to get a little firm w/ mom when she kept offering me stuff (her house is loaded w/ sweets).

Not sure where the willpower came from but I took advantage of it.

Hope everyone else had a good & healthy day.

Good luck to those fasting tomorrow.

Morning all,
    I have only put on a lb which is quite remarkable with all that I have scoffed post race. Quite a relief to get back into the groove after a 3 week break. I would like to donate those 6 lbs to our baby reindeer over the coming weeks.

I am hoping for some of that willpower Michell today if I have a wobble. Well done you.

Well done Annette! You must still be a calorie furnace from all your recent mileage. Good luck fasting today, I will join you. Not feeling terribly energetic today, so a good reason as any to reduce the consumption. Looks like we have quite a crew, with Queen and mcca on the train as well. Let’s build ourselves a baby reindeer, shall we? Pretty sure I can donate one extra lb that seems to be gone for good. I suppose we can’t count lbs that go away and return. I could build quite the reindeer by myself if that were the case.

Michel, congrats on sidestepping the sweets. I know how hard that can be. One of my coworkers who’s slender as a rail has about 5 separate candy bowls in her office, all filled with different wrapped candies. I try to stay away as anytime I go in there I will have a piece or two. I suppose she has no sweet tooth, but she sure has a lot of drop-in company!

OK, let’s get this done, Fast Club. xx

Morning Fasters!

Sounds like a bunch of you are riding the fast train today. GOOD LUCK KRAKEN FIGHTERS!

I’m going for <TDEE. So I’ll be using MFP to keep me on track.

Annette – That lb (plus more) will be gone by the end of your FD. Way to go!

Jade – I hate those bowls. We have 3 of them in our office. Most of the time I can ignore them, but there are those days……
    And where do they get off having 50 cals in a “mini” piece of chocolate?!

“Do or Do Not. There is No Try.”

Fighting off the Cookie Kraken.
    I’m waiting to get my car washed and the free cookies smell amazing.
    I’m holding tight to the Lard Baton and finding comfort in the knowledge we are all struggling together.

Stay strong and Fast on!

Do you know, you are all blooming amazing?

Having not been on the computer (I’m trying not to be on the phone all the time & try to use PC instead) for a few days & having a ‘fab’ FD yesterday until 4pm then ate half packet of biscuits, which not only made me feel a failure, but bloated & yuck. So as soon as soon as kids in bed I took myself to bed before doing any more damage!
    I sit here this Saturday morning (WA time) & there you all are, honest & reassuring with each other.
    I am trying to stay away from the scales as I think little or no loss will send me over the edge. I know slow & steady is the way & I am trying to do this as a long term lifestyle change but I want result & I want them now!! HA
    Yes finding the trigger is key I reckon, I have noticed on FD days especially my trigger is the kidlets pushing me to the limits, I just think oh sod it I need something to eat right now that will make me feel better.
    Its just a metal game really of remembering the ‘food high’ will not last long & the low after effects last longer than the initial high. Trying to keep that in mind had helped me (sort of)
    Jade you amaze me not having breakfast after a FD, that’s great, I pretty much have been racing to the cupboard in the mornings, I suppose that will come in time will it? Im with you MCCA on that. BTW, these people that eat what the want & never put on weight zip me off, however I try not to let it bother me too much, I just think that inside my organs must be in better condition! Ha, My best friend has a gorgeous figure, eats & drinks what she wants & doesn’t do one bit of exercise & smokes like a trouper, I go there daily, RED FACED sweating & drinking my protein shake after being to gym, makes me chuckle really. (In a sad – ‘well at least im healthy’ way)

I wish there was a way you could ‘like’ or comment on these posts as your read them,

Annette, may I ask how long you have been doing this? I found when I did weight watchers years ago I had to eat so much!
    My TDEE is just over 2400 & that’s huge, I eat around 1500 a day & that’s difficult too do.
    Anyway, HAPPY WEEKEND FOLKS – Stay with it..

Ah, Always – good to see you! Yes, it took a few tries, but I’ve managed just to flip off the fridge in the a.m. and stay busy till lunch. Helps loads to know I can have a decent lunch in just a few hours AND that I always “feel rubbish” as others say if I don’t skip it. I am tired of feeling rubbish! Hold tight to that lard baton, Michel!!

I’m off to dinner with hubs, but should be OK as I’ll not be drinking at all tonight. I’ll be the sober one in the corner, impersonating a normal person, wonder if anyone will notice 🙂 xxx

Hi, all,

Just popping in with a word of encouragement for Alwaysdieting and anyone else who wonders whether it’s worth it. I started this program on April 29, and I am down 25 lbs. and feel a million times better. So keep at it and yes, think of the big picture. I’ve overdone it many times on the non-fast days but the one thing I have never deviated on is the fast days. I stick to 500 calories (give or take 50) no matter what happens.

As I get closer to my goal weight, I am finding that I really have to watch the non-fast days too, and I’ve got my TDEE down to about 1600. But I often exceed it. Anyway, it works, and it is so worth it when you begin to really see the results.

Also, I used to eat a whole big bag of M&Ms and I can’t even imagine how I did it, so my mind is changing too. Slowly. My favourite indulgence now is a scoop of ice cream which I have a couple of times a week. (I buy it from an ice-cream vendor. I’d be afraid of what would happen if I had it in the house!)

Today was a very hard fast day because I woke up at 4:30 and couldn’t go back to sleep. I’m ravenous right now but the day is almost done.

Best to all of you wonderful women, and a special shout out to the half-marathoner. I’m jealous of that achievement!

Don’t be jealous Mary. It was really hard work and I am sure that I am 2 inches shorter, but I do have a rather fetching medal and fabulous t shirt to celebrate the fact that I managed to complete the half!
    Join me Mary, as I am planning another in the spring with a mission to get faster. There are loads of on line running scedules from the couch to 5K, up to marathons. I hadn’t run in 10 months(had planned to go to the gym but just found it so boring that I didn’t go), then religiously followed a training plan that took me from nothing to running 4 times a week and up to 20 miles a week. I don’t want to lose this fitness that was so hard won, so I am going to try a running club(beginners) next week. Bit scary but would be wonderful if it works, to push me out of my comfort zone and keep me running through the winter which I always find a struggle.
    As Michell predicted that lb is gone again after my first FD in 3 weeks.
    Alwaysdieting. I began this way of life in January 2013. WW made me aware just how huge my portions were but also made me food obsessed(I don’t need any help) and miserable. I have been using the TDEE for the weight that I want to be, which was half a stone(7lb) lighter than I actually was which gave me a TDEE of 1800, which I have found that I really have to watch what I eat in order to keep to that figure.You stopped at half the packet of biscuits-well done you and just be aware that losing weight all depends on what you put in your mouth, exercise has very little impact on calorie burning(great for fitness and toning) and ditch the protein shake(have you looked at the calories?) A glass of milk is magic post work out and much lower calories too. I ran/walked 13.1 miles and used a measly 1500 calories…but consumed twice that to get round and afterwards! Get the kids out and get walking/running/playing with them whenever you can. Think about the ‘high’ after a FD. Have another look at your TDEE to make sure that the figure is correct and then note down all that you eat and drink to see exactly what you are consuming. My guessing was way out and some of those calorie dense foods have been ditched from a daily treat to an occasional one.

I am someone that responds to goal setting, so I am on a mission to reach a 25 year low(on the weight front) which is another 5 lb before the festive week.

Annette, I’d love love love to join you (and my husband’s niece who also just suggested we both sign up for the waterfront half in TOronto next spring). But i’ll have to leave it for a year, I think. I have back problems and hip problems that a chiropractor and I have been working on for several months, and i need foot surgery. I’ve been waiting in line for more than two years now but I’m hoping I’ll finally get it this winter. So training for a half isn’t in the cards — for this year.

By the way, I think all the problems i have with my back and my feet was caused by the weight I was carrying around with me for so long, on top of the backpack I always carried everywhere since I don’t have a car. So the chiro plus exercise plus weight loss is supposed to actually help reduce the discomfort one of these days and I don’t want to jeopardize it. But as soon as I can, I will.

I did a half in Vancouver in my 40s but I didn’t train properly and I mainly walked the whole route. I’d love to really do one — 10 and 1.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.