I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 3,046 total)

• OK…I lost 2 lbs after Annette’s challenge week. And not just the same 2 that wander off after a FD (I hope). I weighed today what I usually weigh only after a FD. And my last FD was Weds. Whew!

I did feel deprived on a couple of those nonFDs, but mostly because I’m an idiot about calories. I should accept that all pastries have 500+ calories, because thinking I can eat as many brownies as I want is like thinking I can fly.

But I also had nonFDs when I didn’t feel deprived. Those days went like this: (1) no breakfast (just coffee, maybe cream — note: buy good coffee, it helps); (2) light brunch (usually low-starch like fruit-cheese, or decent salad not just leaves) — that left me feeling light and healthy, with the promise of a nice dinner with hubs, and finally (3) a good, balanced, funnish dinner (veg, protein, carbs, maybe even a dessert). I found that sugar, surrounded by all that “good” food, was less likely to turn me into a maniac.

While pondering what worked, I could see two simple rules to avoid my own overeating: (1) I feel deprived if I don’t get to eat “what I want” on a nonFD (so, no cutting out carbs/sugar altogether); and (2) if I can wait to eat “what I want” at dinner, then Godzilla will likely toddle off to bed happy. Not always, but more likely. If I awaken Godzilla in the a.m., then forget it, Godzilla will eat Manhattan.

So Queen, YES, I have that day almost anytime I eat breakfast. Especially if any pastries are involved. But even a “healthful” breakfast grows exponentially into a meal that lasts all day. I just have no cut off. Godzilla rampages until she falls asleep. Thank heavens each new day gives me another chance.

OK, I’m off to Sat activities in hopes that I can follow the above rules! hugs and kisses to all for our mutual struggles xxxxx jade

Hello Fast Friends,
    I haven’t fasted at all this week as I have decided that it would be wise to eat up to my TDEE as I am training for another half marathon(after a years break)which means that I am currently walking/running 20 miles a week. It is hard enough to get my short old legs around the distance, without fasting as well. I am pleased that my weight has stayed the same which is quite an achievement when I am eating my own body weight in jellybeans on the long run!
    The HM is on the 6th and my two goals are to get round uninjured and not be last. It is tough, but then anything worth doing is, isn’t it? My plan is to give myself a week to recover and then I will be back with you all. Mind you, I imagine that you will all have made great strides in the right direction by then and I will be running to catch up!
    Kitty-glad you found it useful.Everything that you can do to lose weight pre-op will have a huge impact on you post-op, your recovery will be faster the fitter and slimmer that you are(says the ex nurse)and I have no doubt the surgeon will be very happy too. I decided to put me and my health first, not something that many of us are comfortable or used to doing. However, you are the only one that make you priority number one.Just think what you could achieve by October if you start now?

Great news Jade. Really interesting to see what works for you. Keeping Godzilla asleep for as long as possible is clearly the key. I have thought several times that I could do without breakfast and I may try this on a NFD too.

Hi to all of you great people who are in the process of becoming former bingers….

I have never posted here before (I’m a regular on a couple of other threads) but I’ve been reading some of your posts off and on and they inspire me and make me smile (or feel sad, sometimes) because they remind me so much of me. I find you all heroic and I can totally relate to your struggles and admire the way you support one another. You even have your own language! (It took me a long time to figure out what a kraken was, but I think I have figured it out now.)

Anyway, I apologize for butting in but I’ve been reading your recent comments about motivation and the reasons why we eat when we don’t really need to, and I noticed that JadeLark mentioned two categories: boredom and celebration.

One of the reasons why I am now working on my weight is that I used to smoke and drink too much, and when I gave up those addictions, I gained weight. (Duh.) So now, fifteen years after becoming a non-smoking non-drinker, I’m finally getting around to getting a lid on this last addiction: food.

When I was trying to stop drinking and smoking, someone gave me a four-letter acronym that she said I should think about when I was struggling. The acronym was HALT and it stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired. Whenever I was having a real struggle, she said to ask myself if I was in one of those four states. And if so, could I do something about it instead of taking the drink or lighting the smoke?

Obviously, we have to put up with Hungry on this program, but I really agree with JadeLark’s point about boredom. So I was thinking maybe we can switch that in and think about a BALT acronym instead of HALT when we’re about to reach for something sweet or caloric that we don’t really need? BALT doesn’t sound as good as HALT, and it doesn’t help with celebrations, but it’s a thought.

Again, I apologize for butting in here. BTW, I’m down 20 on this program since the end of April, and have about 20 more to go. Right now, I seem to be on a plateau.

Over and out….

Hey Mary, thanks for dropping by! I love your explanation of HALT (or BALT) – easy to remember. I think the principle works with all eating, even in celebration, i.e., why am I STILL eating?? “Drunk” might need to be in there 🙂 Anyway, congrats on your success so far! Best of luck with the plateau kraken, he’s a stubborn one.

I still overeat searching for that terrific buzz I get when the first bite hits real hunger. I may ignore that logical fallacy, but now I KNOW. So…a few months ago, I’d overeat thinking (if I thought at all) “yes, this is totally worth it, yum doughnuts.” Now I think, “I know this isn’t worth it, but I’m eating it anyway because FU MFP, I’m [bored, whatever].” And seriously, I’m starting to be mad at food for letting me down. I mean really, screw you food, do what I say and make me happy, or I’m not going to eat you. How weird is that? I came here weird, so I can’t say. Maybe it’s part of being normal, intuitively seeing food for the flawed joy-giver it can be.

Kitty, the book is by Sheryl Canter, called Normal Eating for Normal Weight. I believe Sheryl could also be a wizard 🙂 She is calm about the whole thing but doesn’t sugar-coat that it takes a long time to change habits. However, I found that encouraging, because she suggests smalls steps that even I can do. And yay, even FUs are part of the learning process. Nailed those.

Annette, how exciting to anticipate another half-marathon. (And I KNEW you were a wizard – you’re a nurse! How did I not guess that.) Brilliant plan to TDEE without fasting for now – go you! I enjoy road races occasionally, though I’m quite slow – my goal is to finish, and bonus points for finishing before the course closes.

Have a lovely and mindful weekend all – xx jade

Annette – wow another half marathon, go you! I could lose a whole stone by October…and reach my target of 12st by the end of the year. But only if I really apply myself and stick to 5:2. Motivation!!!!
    Jade – thanks for the book details. Off to hunt on Amazon! I totally hear you, trying to recreate the wonderful high of chow. But how to do it without bingeing….I don’t smoke or drink my only vice is food, just like our new recruit Mary!
    Welcome Mary, do hang around and join the madness. The guys here have saved me from quitting a couple of times now, and provide such amazing support. Iwe are truly blessed to have found each other. Congrats on losing 20lbs, just remember that achievement when the scales are not playing ball. You’re halfway there!
    Love the BALT acronym…will definitely apply that pre-chowing. Hopefully. Can we add an “I” on the end, to stand for Illness? Then it says BALTI! Plus when I am feeling poorly (most of the time) it makes me want to inhale sugar. So perhaps illness is something to consider before eating too…. Or maybe I’m just talking mince.

Was planning a FD tomorrow but it’s my FIL birthday and there will be chocolate cake. I will have a slice, but only one. TDEE beckons, FD on Monday.
    Have a good weekend everyone, hope your choices are good ones. Xx

Michel, you are mysteriously silent – hope all is OK. xxx

Happy Sat Clubbers!

I just got home from taking my CHL (concealed handgun license) and found all these wonderful posts. I will have to go back and read thru them all.

Our class was from 8-2pm so I took the opportunity to skip breakfast, which gave me a16 hr fasting window.
    We ate lunch out and I had a salad w/ diced chicken breast, blk beans and corn. It came with a cheese quesadilla and I gave my hubby 2 of the 3 triangles. After lunch we went to Costco and that is where my troubles started. I was having that “I’ve been good and now I want sugar feeling” I always get after a meal and found myself getting pissy because I couldn’t have any of the yummy things I wanted. I was jealous of all the people walking by w/ sugary things in their baskets. I was 3/4 of the way thru the store when I realized what was going on. I was surprised at how childish I was being, but how strong the feelings were.
    How crazy is it to be mad at strangers because they are buying sweets?

Of to enter all my calories in MFP

Oh, by the way, I had one of my best Sat weights in months…..This could be a week with a new low! Thanks, Anette, for the challenge.

Remember: All calories count towards TDEE & MFP is your friend!

Kitty: It’s nice to have you back in the wagon and swinging the lard baton w/the rest of us. And I agree that snake analogy was very fitting for me on “cookie day” as I now call it.

Jade: Way to go! 2lbs down! Woot!
    Godzilla, snakes & kraken…..what is it with you & reptiles?

Annette: Good luck on the HM. I’m sure you will do great. Your commitment level is running very high these days.

Mary: Welcome to our “isle of misfits” (do we have a dentist?). Thank you for sharing your story. It is always inspiring to hear of others successes. BALT…….Anger was my motivation on “cookie day”.

Mindful Eating is the motto of the day!

Who am I? Another day at TDEE and everything entered into MFP.

Hope everyone else had a successful day!

Everyday is a chance to start over and make different decisions!

Mary I love HALT. So true for me. That has become my mantra now, so thank you for sharing that. If it works for alcohol and smoking, then I can’t see why it wouldn’t work for food too.I am going to start today.
    The HM is very daunting, as I haven’t done any regular running for a year. I intended to start a gentle 12 week training plan, but was ill with a persistent ear infection and after 2 courses of antibiotics I was able to start 4 weeks later.I literally had to hit the ground running!
    The most depressing aspect is just how far I have to run to use up significant calories and then how easy it is to eat far more.Last week I ran/walked 11.6 miles which earned me 1,316 calories, but by the time I had eaten my breakfast, scoffed the jelly beans(pure sugar), sports drink, pint of milk(post run recovery), an ice cream and x2 pain chocolat -I had consumed nearly 400 calories more than I had earned and that was by lunchtime! Yesterday I ran/walked 8.3 miles=943 calories, but I had consumed more calories by the time that I had finished. I am consuming more calories than my TDEE by several hundred at the moment and the only saving grace is that I am running 20 miles/week and only scoffing on the long run. To maintain my weight at 10 stone 5lb is quite an achievement as I was struggling to get below 10st 10lb in July.
    I have no doubt that keeping a count on my consumption is the way forward for me until I learn the ‘cost’ of all the things that I like to eat and combining that with HALT will bring great rewards as the weeks tick by.

Hey Michel, well done!!! So wonderful you’ve found your motivation and are committing to this so successfully. Also understand being annoyed at strangers because they’re “allowed” to eat what they want. But they may be one of us, battling away inside, struggling with control. That usually helps me look at others more fondly than with annoyance. Except for the woman who was eating a massive pecan plait in the hospital waiting room. I could smell the maple syrup and it took me great restraint not to rip it out of her hands and scarf it. Then I just harboured bad feelings toward her, poor bugger lol!!
    Annette – goodness you really are crunching those numbers. Sounds like the choices you’re making are great, jelly beans fuel your run and you bloody earn them! I am envious of your weight….sigh….that’s 4 stones away for me. Difficult when you can’t do any exercise too. Anyway, good luck with the training.
    I come to report a bizarre anomaly – somehow, I have lost 2lbs. Between weighing myself yesterday morning and now. 2lbs. I’m delighted, but in shock too. Yesterday was a successful under TDEE day and I haven’t fasted. Not complaining about it, I’ll just take that as a win!!
    So, friends, are we doing TDEE/2xFD this week again? Annette laid down the initial gauntlet, now I challenge us to take it further. Me, of the pathetic willpower.
    Let’s do it!

Congrats on your great week Michel! Sounds like success on several fronts. Sorry to send out an APB 🙂

I know what you mean, seeing those huge carts of things I shouldn’t buy. Kitty makes an interesting point, they could just be an earlier version of us. Wow that feels good to say. We have come a long way….

And Kitty, go you, down 2 lbs as well, yay! Unexpected gifts are the best kind and sooo motivating. Think what you can accomplish in the months ahead. I feel for you not being able to exercise, but remember it isn’t the key to weight loss. I wasn’t able to do any this past week, either, and look we both lost 2 lbs 🙂

HA, I’ve been reptile intensive lately, haven’t I. I’m fascinated by them, in a way, but they’re still creepy. “Happy eater” that I am, if imaginary reptiles represent junk food, I’m not hanging out with them. In fact, my stomach lately has rebelled at the sight of junk food – and I mean before I even have “the talk” (i.e., being mindful) with myself. Could be a virus, could be a new habit! I’m going with…probably a virus! But it could be another unexpected gift, I guess?

Annette, great work on all the math as you continue your HM training. You are inspiring! The way you simplified 5:2 for me with math has done wonders. And there you were coaching us all week, you sneaky one 🙂

Happy Sunday to all as we rest up for another FD – everyone on board for tomorrow? Let’s make it a kraken free week! xx jade

Jade – so sorry I never acknowledged your weight loss, well done! My head is up my backside these days. You’re doing so well, keep up the kraken slaying! How much have you lost now?
    I’m so looking forward to my piece of chocolate cake tonight, just as well it’s at someone else’s house so I can’t creep in and scarf it in the night!
    New week, new motivation. Best of luck to anyone fasting tomorrow…I’ll be gripping that lard baton tightly too.

Ha no worries Kitty, my head is frequently up my backside as well. I enjoy all the posts and 2 minutes later can’t remember who said what. I’ve lost 15 lbs so far, just in time for school and fitting into some “prof” clothes I haven’t worn in ages. I feel as though I went on a shopping spree.

Speaking of which, it’s time to do some class reading. I enjoyed a jog in the lovely weather, lots of townspeople out with kids and dogs, so nice to see everyone smiling. One young family called “good job” to me as I toddled past at about 4 mph 🙂

All right, go Fast Club go, I’m up for sharing the lard baton tomorrow! xxx

Afternoon Fast Clubbers!

Very pleased w/ this morning’s weight. My official weigh in is on Mondays so tomorrow will tell the story.
    Made it till 11:30 before the 1st meal of the day, putting off unleashing Godzilla.

Kitty: Huge congrats on your 2lb loss. As we say “small steps” will add up.
    Thanks for putting a different spin on the way I view others. I now realize I have often felt this way towards others including my own family. Just another thing to work on.
    Enjoy your cake in small bites!
    And, yes, we are on for the 5xTDEE/2xFD challenge. Last week I made all but 1 of the days. We can do this this.

Jade: I appreciate the APB…..feels good to be missed.
    15lbs down! Way to go! Keep up the good work.

Fast day tomorrow! Jade & Kitty I got your back.

All I can say is, I’m glad there were no sweets in the house today. They would all be gone. But with no kraken hiding in the pantry, I think I stayed in TDEE. Fingers crossed for tomorrow’s weigh in.

Waiting for the handoff of the lard baton.

Say strong & fast on!

Another kilo down, making it a stone in total since the start of the year, and 3 kilos since starting 5:2 a few weeks ago.

Yesterday we went for a lovely walk along the East Lothian coast, stopped at our favourite German bakery/ cafe and shared a pistachio cream cake. It was absolutely delicious and really satisfying, and I turned down the option of more cake and even ice cream on the beach afterwards.

I am never gong to be – and don’t really want to be – the person who cuts out all sugar for the rest of time. I just want to feel more controlled around it, like I am choosing to eat it and not the other other way round! Yesterday I felt that control for the first time in a while and I was very pleased!!

Fast day today clubbers! Already working my way through gallons of water and black coffee and looking forward to a productive and happy day!

Well isn’t this something….nice going, Melb! I’m with you all the way on wanting to continue appreciating a fine day like that, pistachio cream cake and all. Sounds like a perfect day. You were in control!

Good luck at the weigh in, Michel – no matter the number (ha, we all say that, but it’s true), you’ve made exciting progress. Love that you’re asking “who am I” — it’s as though we have this inner normal person who’s decided to show up.

I poked Godzilla yesterday…really wanted Sunday breakfast as I had ended Sat with too few cals. (Now that in itself is a miracle, but it was a busy day and that’s what happened.) So I snacked my way thru Sunday, final tally over TDEE, but no craziness. Not sure whether to call it a FU, as I think I should expect that kind of Sunday occasionally. Still, I will aim to let Godzilla sleep late as often as possible. Can’t trust her.

So today I’m gripping the lard baton with you all. Good luck and let’s continue on this path toward success. I like it 🙂 xxx

Morning All Seekers of Health!

Thanks to our challenge, my weight this morning was what I usually see after my 2nd FD. This was my lowest Mon weight since the first of Dec!

Melb – Woohoo! Way to go! You are rocking this WOL.
    “Being in control of food” the goal we are all striving for. I will have to look up where you were walking, I love to travel and you made it sound so nice.

Jade – I would not call Sun a FU. IMO a FU is when the food controls us and we can’t get enough. It’s that crazy out-of-control feeling that comes over me. A “snacky” day, for me, is not the same. Besides today is a FD and we are back in kraken slaying mode.

Motivation – This challenge has come at the right time for me. We are having a pool party on the 6th, so I have 2 more weeks. I’m going for 3 lbs. There I put it out there for all to see. Now I’m committed and accountable.

Holding fast to the lard baton ready to fend off all kraken!
    Melb & Jade – Let’s do this!

Oh well done Melb! Brilliant progress, keep it up, you’re obviously doing something right.
    Jade – ma, not FUFD – you had fewer calories on Sat so had more on Sun – balance? That’s what I’m trying to do if I go over TDEE one day, just take it off the next.
    Michel – how wonderful for you, well done girl! Best Monday weight with a pool party on the horizon. I’m sure you will achieve your 3lb goal. You’ve totally got this, keep slaying dem krakens!
    Are we all on a FD today? Have had to switch to decaf as my black coffee consumption increases exponentially on a FD and I was getting palpitations! Still delicious though. For the first time I’m able to have black coffee without sugar, big deal for me. Haven’t eaten yet, but think I’m going for roast veg again, it’s my FD favourite.
    Good luck to all, strength and motivation!

Kitty – way to go – getting off the sugar and drinking decaf. Your body will thank you.
    I made roasted veggies yesterday for dinner. Made so many that was all we had. Really good! Enjoy yours!
    Sounds like you have found your motivation, go get ’em.

Kraken slayers unite! Fast on!

Hubby just announced he was going to the shop for chocolate for us – I said, No, not for us, for YOU! I’m fasting today. He looked so shocked that I refused choc that I thought he would faint dead away there and then. Hahaa!!
    Damn I’m enjoying this rush of power!

Kitty – Way to slay the chocolate kraken! You are in control and Mexico is just around the corner. 🙂
    Now there won’t be any around in case you have a moment of weakness. Only thing that saved me on Sun.

Just say “No” and Fast on Clubbers!

Thanks all — you’re the best. The only thing that bothered me about yesterday was the constant grazing, a bad habit. But I think I found out something good.

Here’s how yesterday went down in the kitchen:
    -are you hungry? (not really)
    -Is that food worth it? (maybe)
    -Eat a bite anyway, see what happens! (sure!) (aagh!)
    -Did you love it? (eh…no)
    -How about you go do something else? (but but but …ok)

I had that conversation dozens of times, but ALMOST without trying, I ended up acknowledging that food wasn’t what I needed. I know it could have ended differently if I’d had loads of treats on hand, but I’ll worry about that another day.

So the good thing is that “think first, eat second” has become a habit. Even if the next step, the “not eating” part, hasn’t yet. But the thinking part seems to have carried over (enough) to control the eating part. I’m not even sure that makes sense, I just know what happened.

So somehow, I was alone almost all day and there is still food in my fridge. And the rest of you did even better. Michel bopping her husband with the lard baton (not too hard I hope), no wait that’s Kitty! Well, let’s just all bop our OHs with the lard baton when they approach with chocolate! Anyway, I am loving all these normal people I seem to have just met here 🙂
    xxxx
    ps: woo Melb 0 cals and going for YOGA. Won’t be much of the lard baton left!

Kitty – yay for you!!!

I almost caved this afternoon and went to the shop for a BLT, M & Ms, pastries etc etc but thought of you all holding the lard baton and held firm. Now I am home, still on 0 cals so far and about to do a yoga video. Thanks for getting me down the home straight, fast relay team!

Jade – Sounds like you are really making some new habits. Good for you!
    MFP is the only thing saving me, I’m committed to entering everything I eat and sometimes that makes me think twice. That and no sweets in the house, plus I have not been alone yet on a weekend.

Melb – Way to hold firm and beat off that nasty kraken. You will feel so good after yoga and be free to enjoy a lovely, healthy dinner.

7 hrs left for me until dinner. Used the baton to tell a co-worker “No, I’m Fasting” when offered a free lunch. She was surprised, but encouraging.

Holding tight to the baton………Strength to you all!

Jade, that’s fantastic! You’re making fantastic decisions and now thinking about it first has become automatic. I hope I can reach that point too. Delighted for you though!
    Michel – Way to go bopping your colleague with the lard baton! Fantastic strength. This is real progress for you, your work are probably your biggest saboteurs! I am grinning from ear to ear at your resolve.
    I’m quite proud of myself about the chocolate thing. He returned with 3 large bars, the bugger. I told him to put them in the wicker basket (I have a wicker phobia!) so I can’t get at them. I mean, I’d rather eat broken glass than go into a wicker basket to get choc. So in future all treats will be hidden in there, protects me from myself!
    And Melb – way to go! Yoga and zero cals. Now that is kicking ass good style.
    I just had a 200 calorie tomato omelette…damn it was good! I’m trying to include more protein to keep me fuller for longer rather than just have veg. Will report my findings!
    I don’t intend to eat again until tomorrow afternoon so hopefully my eggies will help!

Keep swinging that lard baton guys….we are doing amazingly well, let’s not self sabotage!

Kitty – Good thinking w/the wicker basket and the omelette.
    Saboteurs are all around us. They know how much we love sweets and are just being nice, but so not helpful.

Stay ever mindful!

I often wonder at people who persistently try to sabotage dieters/people eating healthily….
    “Oh just have some, you’ll be fine, it’s just a little bit”
    “No, you don’t understand, if I eat that it will unleash an unsaitable urge to consume my own body weight in sugar”
    “Ah just have some….you can always diet tomorrow!”
    I mean, honestly, why??? Workplace saboteurs can be the worst, and Michel, yours really sound like a nightmare to deal with. But look at you, swinging that lard baton at them and deflecting that sugar kraken. Amazing!
    Does anyone else have saboteurs to contend with, and how do you deal with it?

Kitty my mother in law in worst saboteur ever, and genuinely means to sabotage. “Oh go on, it’ll take more than one chocolate to make you thin” “of course, I’ve always been naturally slender, but we all know how much you eat” “goodness, I hope you give my son more than that for his tea. I’m sure HE will be able to metabolise it!” etc etc yawn bloody yawn.
    I deal with her by living at the other end of the country and limiting visits to once per year.

Can’t sleep….so instead of kitchen raiding, I came here. Kind of like ringing your sponsor in AA,…
    Melb – good grief, she sounds…erm…unpleasant?? Such snide comments! Some people just thrive on being hurtful to others, I’ll never understand it.
    I had a friend (note past tense) who would always refuse dessert then try to get me to have some, saying things like “it’s too late for you, but I can still be avoid a giant ass” and “go on, have it, it doesn’t matter if you put on more weight but it would be a disaster for me, I can’t afford to lose my figure”
    Thank goodness we have each other guys! Global network of lard baton swinging kraken slaying warriors! Hugs to all x

I’ve never heard of wicker-phobia, Kitty! Interesting. I’ll have to ponder how I can use that idea. Maybe paint snakes on the pantry door :/ Seriously, I’m starting to appreciate the power of psychology in new ways. I think that’s our true super power. It all starts in the mind, after all.

I’m lucky not to have a saboteur around. Hubs rarely wants sweets (clearly we did not bond as a couple over food!). Treats at work usually vanish within minutes, no worries there. It is thoughtless to push food on someone who has declined. It’s not as though we’re being coy or playing hard to get. Mel, your MIL sounds like a kraken, best take the lard baton on your next visit! Eek. And Michel, nice going with the assertive approach at work – sounds like it’s working.

FD here has gone well, got lucky at a lunch date when the soup du jour was “tomatillo” (extremely light) then dinner of roasted veggies, a small bit of chicken, and a few strands of angel hair (hubs is a pasta freak). I fill my bowl with mostly veggies and we both dig in. Everyone’s happy!

One more FD in the books, next train leaves Weds for me! xxx
    ps holy crap Kitty, just saw your post, that is one weird friend. Glad she is history – I’m hoping she has met the karma kraken and turned into a lard baton herself.

And congrats, Kitty, you are here instead of face down in the caramel tin. Only this group can appreciate the progress there!

Stay strong! We in the US can see you through till sunrise in Scotland if need be. Put everything into wicker baskets if you need to 🙂 Wicker baskets painted with SNAKES. Better yet, hide some real snakes in there. YIKES.
    xxxx

Mel – OMG really? I wouldn’t live near her either. How mean spirited.

Ha, I’m reminded of a friend who would offer me clothes by saying “this is way too big for me now, but it would probably fit you.” Um, thanks.

Kitty – We are here for you……Stay out of the kitchen! YOU CAN DO THIS!
    Why would someone talk to their friend like that? Certainly not a friend. Friends want what’s best for you, not to add to your issues.

Jade – I like your karma kraken. Hopefully she knows what it feels like to be talked to like that. Good riddance to a bad/snarky attitude.

Successful FD for me. Nothing till dinner, then a nice salad. Made the mistake of going to the grocery store on a FD. I managed to not buy anything sweet. Yea!
    I’ll be fasting on Wed too.

KITTY: STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

Hugs to my buds!

I STAYED OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!!!!!
    Ah Jade and Michel, you’re truly stars. Thank you for your support..it feels so good not to have given in to my sugar inhaling urges. I even ignored hubby eating his enormous choc bar in bed. Honestly, how is he so slim?
    Anyway, I’m hoping this iron will continues. Got you guys to thank for getting me back on track, I’ll be forever grateful for that.

I know portion size is a common cause of people failing on diets, and I always thought I was pretty sensible, until just now when I poured myself a bowl of my favourite muesli. And decided to weigh it. Oh my…instead of the recommended portion size of 45g, I had 130g, at a calorie count of 630!!! The bowl wasn’t even half full. Needless to say I’m ditching it from now on. I measured out the suggested serving and it was 4tbsp. Who on this planet eats just 4tbsp muesli? Sorry, rant over, I was just so shocked!
    Think I will fast on Wed too now, keep you guys company. Strength in numbers!
    What’s on the menu for you all today then? We are having a BBQ later if this unexpected sunshine sticks around, and I’ve spatchcocked a chicken and marinated it in Greek herbs, lemon juice and a little olive oil. Mmmmm! Add a pile of salad and I’m happy.
    Strength to fasters today, and here’s hoping the rest of us come in at TDEE.

And Jade – wicker phobia….I’ve never heard of anyone else with it, it’s truly bizarre and stems from this wicker rocking chair my mum used to make me sit on as a child. It had broken bits that would draw blood, and made this awful creaking snapping noise. Got to the point where I couldn’t even go near it, it gave me the raging heebie jeebies! Now if we’re on the mainland and in a shop where there’s a wicker basket display I have to go down a different aisle, cannot walk past it. Totally irrational, but the stuff freaks me out.
    True story – After a 9hr flight to the Dominican Republic, after a 6hr delay, we arrived at 11pm exhausted and desperate to rest. When we got to the hotel I went to flop onto an armchair and shot back up again – they were all made of wicker! Needless to say I remained standing. There was a wicker chair in the room also, but I made my friend put it out on the balcony. If there’s wicker chairs in this hotel in Mexico I’m going home on the next flight…..
    Anyone else got any irrational phobias/fears? Just as an aside from the chow…..

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Kitty – So happy for you! I know not giving in was a huge step. You deserve a pat on the back!
    I totally understand what you mean by portion size. That is what MFP is helping me with. Everything had so many calories in it, it’s just not right!
    Your BBQ sound delish, enjoy.

So far today I have faced the leftover Cake Kraken. I have no idea where it came from, it was just in the kitchen waiting to pounce when I got to work. I barely avoided being taken down.
    Next I have to face the Breakfast Kraken being delivered for a meeting and then there will be the Lunch Kraken to fend off later. Why-oh-why are the people here not huge, there is only 1 overweight person in the office. WTF?!

I really want to stay in TDEE today, but boy it is looking like it will be hard to do. So, I’m going to suck it, take a page from Annette’s book & just do it. I may be checking in many times today.

Hope everyone is facing an easier day than I am….
    May your day be kraken free!

Ha, Kitty, I had to look up “spatchcocking” a chicken – had a mental image of you COLD-cocking a chicken. Which is what I might do to hubs for eating chocolate bars in bed (did you not have “the talk” with him??). But way to go on staying out of harm’s way last night – bet you feel better today for it. The wicker effect is just fascinating. Glad that hotel had a balcony so you didn’t have to heave the furniture out a window 🙂 I have a huge fear of heights – guess I could stash all my treats on the roof? And snakes. Still not sure how to put that one to good food use.

So it’s a good thing we had that group pep talk last night – my veggies had worn off by bedtime but a couple of rice crackers distracted my stomach long enough to fall asleep. And I didn’t wake up starved, so Godzilla is staying in her cave for now. I dream of someday eating breakfast without turning into a reptile…but time will tell.

That’s such a great point about serving sizes – muesli/granola has as many calories as candy (some have about as much sugar too). I laugh at serving size of 1/2 cup or less – not in my world is that a serving of anything, except maybe butter 🙂

OK, Clubbers, I’m ready to tackle another lovely TDEE challenge-fest. Go out an act like normal eaters everyone! xxx
    ps: Hi Michel! I always seem to cross posts and just saw yours. Good luck today! You are the WonderWoman of kraken slayers. Yes I wonder how your co-workers are not gigantic.

The Breakfast Kraken has arrived. Bagels & fruit.
    I think I can resist both of these and avoid unleashing Godzilla for awhile. I will eat my imaginary bagel & cream cheese, over & over & over!

Kitty – Your “wicker phobia” is very intense. And with good reason. Smart to use it to your advantage.
    I’m agreeing w/ Jade, I would have used the lard baton on my hubby if he ate sweets in front of me on a FD. He knows I need his support in this struggle, just as I support him in his.

Because of the calorie count, I try to use granola only as a topper. I try not to buy trail mix and the like either. Talk about a kraken in disguise. I need more volume for the calories. Sometimes I will make my own granola and store it in the freezer. All organic & healthy, but still full of calories.

All calories count towards TDEE.
    I’m in control of what I eat!

MFP just saved me from myself. I looked up the Panera cinnamon-sugar bagel I was about to eat–450 cal! Einstein’s is only 290. Take that bagel kraken, someone else can eat it!

Holding fast!

Well done all of you! I have been keeping up with the thread so far.I was staggered how many calories I was scoffing with my huge portions of meusli that didn’t even come up the side of our large bowls. I now have 75g of meusli in some small bowls that I bought on line, purely with the purpose of making my small breakfast look much much bigger. It works and I highly recommend buying smaller crockery.
    I am back to work now, which has meant a pub lunch out today and then work lunch tomorrow, so maintaining is my goal at the moment.
    I am using HALT lots of times, to really check that I am hungry. I walked home today wanting chocolate and knowing that I have 2 large bars in a cupboard for after our HM in a couple of weeks. Got home and ate a few brazil nuts and then a handful of almonds and then found that the desire for chocolate is quashed.
    I am really looking forward to hearing what the results are this weekend. I can pull my zipped up jeans over my hips now and I need smaller bras…..

The Lunch Kraken just arrived! I’m hoping I can hold out till noon before eating, I’m afraid to awaken Godzilla w/ bagels in the kitchen.

Annette – We eat on smaller plates & I even use small forks for smaller bites. Been doing this for years. It made a huge difference in the beginning, now I don’t even notice- we just eat less.
    Good job on skipping the chocolate & going for the nuts.

TDEE, TDEE, TDEE!

Hard to tell how I did on my calorie count. I had a big greek salad w/ feta cheese (w/o dressing), a scoop of this amazing saffron rice and the bottom half of the cinnamon bagel (no cream cheese). I opted for the bagel over the leftover cake (how can it still be in the kitchen? Who doesn’t eat cake?)

Hope everyone else is having fantastic day!

Great work everyone! I ate a LOT of carbs today, foolishly thought I could have crumpets for breakfast as I had a later start at work.

Big bready mistake!!

It wasn’t what I personally think of as a binge, no mindless loss of control snout in bowl eating, but nonetheless a lot of carbs were eaten in various forms throughout the day.

For the last fortnight or so I’ve been experimenting with just eating one meal a day during the week, even on my non fast days -just having a bigger meal on those days- and then eating brunch and evening meal at weekends. I will certainly be going back to that system tomorrow!!

I don’t know what it is about eating breakfast but anything eaten before 11 am and HELLO floodgates (carbgates)!

On the subject of phobias (wicker is certainly a new one!!!), if I find myself in the middle of a proper binge then sometimes I manage to make myself stop by imaging I am eating crunched up tarantulas legs (massive phobia of spiders). Too weird?

Go Michel! Slay those krakens! MFP is our friend, and you’re using it to fantastic effect. Sounds like your lunch was healthy! And my goodness, way to go defeating cake kraken! I mean, that must be the most fearsome of them all!!! I am truly in awe of your kick assness today. You will surely come in at or under TDEE. Jade is right, you really are Wonderwoman these days!
    I’ve had a beastly migraine all day so haven’t eaten a thing, they make me feel so sick. So no BBQ, boo. Still will have the nice chicken though, maybe in an hour or so if I can.
    And good for you Jade, you’re slaying krakens good style too. Brilliant. And yes, I feel I’m gonna have to bop hubby with the lard baton next time he dares to eat choc beside me on a FD, or any day for that matter!
    Annette, well you’re just the poster girl for 5:2! Doing so well.
    Such positive happy posts today, I’m delighted for everyone! Keep it going!

Melb – crossed posts there, AAAAAAAAAAAA spider legs, jeez now that is truly using phobias to your advantage! But it sounds like you’ve got a good system worked out with only having one big meal a day, just stick to what works for you.
    I’m exactly the same with anything eaten in the morning…..it just unleashes my appetite for everything. But if I wait til lunchtime, I have more control. A lot of us are the same. My trigger time (bizarrely) is through the night, I don’t sleep well and crave sugar through the night. I’ve found that Michels tip of having a proteiny snack late a night has helped, together with knowing that when it’s the middle of the night here, the American gals are still kraken slaying. They were a huge help last night!
    Hugs all x

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.