I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 3,046 total)

• Hey Topsy – welcome to the thread and great name. WARNING, cake will make you run down a cow just to offset the sugar rush – just eat a smidgen! Preferably with some protein. Like chicken korma, mmmmmm. I’m not a science or math person, but Annette’s comparing and adding, along the “habit” (wizard :)) science, is helping soooo much.

Michel, good for you for grabbing that baton. I’m grabbing on today as well, mainly because I have to attend a Kraken Fest tomorrow, and I’m hoping to succeed but in no way will it be a FD. I swear I believe our school likes to orient students by introducing them to every form of carbohydrate known. Great way to prepare them to study?!

I will give up CL, Annette, I promise. But it has to be next week’s goal! One kraken at a time. 🙂

Jade: I’ve been trying to alternate my CL w/ lemon water. Over the weekend I hand-squeezed a bag of lemons and froze the juice in ice cube trays. Now I pop a cube in a pitcher of water and viola – lemon water. Can’t totally cut out CL yet, but getting there.

Stay Strong & Fast on!

That seems fair Jade. I am certain that you will feel better and able to cope with cravings once the CL is ditched. Lemon water sounds lovely too MichellMB. I am glad that the comparing/adding is helping Jade. Once I started to think whether I would rather have homemade chicken korma with rice OR an almond Croissant, there was really no contest. The result is that I haven’t had one for ages. I suspect that I will be very disappointed the next time I do, it is unlikely to be as fabulous as I imagine, as you found out with the doughnuts. I also use a pedometer and aim to walk the recommended 10,000 steps a day. It has a calorie count on it too and when I started to think about how far I would have to walk to use up the calories of chocolate, I came to the conclusion that it wasn’t worth it. I have noticed that MFP seems to equate how far you would have to walk with foods too. It gets clearer by the day why I got fat and stayed that way for so long!

Onwards and downwards Fast Friends…..

Hey Clubbers!
    How’d everybody do today? Hope it was a successful FD for my peeps.

I came in at 525 cal. Hubby brought me home a apricot cream cheese kolache. I made it part of my dinner and boy was it good.

FYI: Slayed another cookie kraken today at work. Cookie bouquet was delivered and my response to “do you want one?” was “I’m good, thanks”.

Fast on friends or stay w/in TDEE!

Ha, yes Michel you ARE good! Way to go, dusting that pesky cookie kraken. They seem to breed like rabbits at your office. The lemon idea sounds great – had a DC the other day with a squeeze of fresh lemon, and the lemon was the best part.

Good FD for me, I think right around 500. Hard to say what a “roasted chicken breast” really is on MFP, but I had half a piece and chose a mid-range count, so with some veggies it was 439. Then I had to bake brownies for tomorrow so allowed myself to lick the spoon, so…60ish cals? Not really much on it. But I think I like the spoon better than the final result.

Now to just behave tomorrow and Friday, right? Wish we could all meet up Sat morning for brunch! Croissants, kolaches, pecan maple plaits, Krispy Kremes, and a chocolate RIVER.
    xx jade

I guess we’ll just have an imaginary brunch for all our imaginary pastries 🙂

Well, I had two skittles as part of a game during my sign language class and then got home to find the BATHROOM IS FINALLY FINISHED!!! Hallelujah. To celebrate boyf had got a chinese takeaway. I had a third of my portion, coming in at I guess around 600 (newsflash – a normal portion would be 1800!!!). Not perfect but I’ll take it!
    Good work everyone. Now to face the nonFD kraken and win.

Hi everyone,
    I’m back again, next trip away is Mexico in 5 weeks, eeeee!
    What a bunch of motivated, strong clubbers you have all become. I’m so proud of your resolve, and a little envious to be truthful. I’ve just had food disaster after disaster, bad news, emotional eating, etc etc. I don’t know what happened to me, I had been doing so well – over a stone lost – and then I just went right back to how I was before. Even hubby intervening made little difference.
    I feel like just giving up totally and staying fat. The mental torture when I slip up is just horrible and on top of my health issues it’s stressful enough.
    Ah sorry guys….you’re all doing amazingly well and here comes me with my pity party and screws it all up. Think I should just retire gracefully, bow out and leave – there’s no place for failure anymore here!
    Wishing you all much success and strength and achievement of your goals xx

No Kitty, please don’t go! Well you can go to Mexico but don’t leave US. 🙂 We are having some success this week and also some failure. Just as always, so we press on with each new day. I will admit to the group that I owe my successes this week in part to an actual virus 🙁 (see I SAID that’s what it could be!)

I had a summer of very little actual success. Some days I had to just accept tiny victories like only gaining a lb over the weekend instead of 3. Or only eating 2500 cals when I could have scarfed up 3000.
    The Normal Eating book might interest you, mostly because she describes how truly gradual a process this is. Like simply pausing to think and making a conscious choice to eat ANYTHING be it a box of doughnuts or an entire cake. Stopping to think gradually turns into something bigger. I promise it does.

Hugs to you and I hope you can feel the love. We have all been there and will be there again no doubt. The most important thing is not to give up. xxxxx jade

Kitty I don’t know you but let me tell you, there always has been and always will be a place for failure at my table.

People’s honesty was what attracted me to this thread in the first place (HI MY NAME IS MELB AND I EAT DOG CHOCOLATES) and if this became a place where people felt they could not honest about their slipups, then frankly I would leave and start my own thread.

I’m having a good week right now but believe me last week (or “eclair gate” as I like to think of it) was pretty low. A good week is only a few days away from any one of us (as is a bad week – oooh, philosophical!).

I know it feels shit when you do well and then slide back down again but it is not worthless – you will have learnt many things during that slide, about who you are and who you want to be – and I think having a thread like this where you can write them down and “own” them is really useful.

And I also think, in terms of health – being fatter-thinner-fatter-thinner is surely better than being fatter-fatter-fatter-fatter, right??? (Please say yes).

It sounds like you have had a horrid time and could do with some relaxation. Maybe splurge and book yourself a massage? It’s time for us to love our bodies and stop hating them. Yes, my body might love the odd multipack of cream cakes more than is good for it, but it is my body, it is strong and I love it regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tosky-ZNbRw

By the way, did I ever tell you about the time they put me in charge of our lab’s weekly coffee meetings? TUPPAWARES OF BISCUITS IN MY FILING CABINET FOR A WHOLE YEAR. Let’s just say I spend a considerable amount of my own money replenishing the stocks I had eaten. I’m still shaking the biscuit crumbs out of my paperwork….

Thanks Jade and Melb…..as soon as I sent that message I kicked myself for being so negative and self pitying. It’s funny because I’m such a positive optimistic person IRL, think I’ve just had a bit much to contend with recently.
    You both make very good points and your messages have certainly struck something in me, to pick myself up and try again. I’m genuinely delighted for everyone that is managing to fight off the urges; I just wish I could be as strong.
    The pressure of having to lose weight for surgery has bizarrely caused the opposite effect. What is that all about!?!
    OK. New day tomorrow….and a new FD attempt. No point procrastinating is there….

Thanks again guys, now I promise to wind my neck in and stop being so bloody whiny.

Kitty: It pains me that you don’t think there is a place for you here. I joined this thread because my eating was out of control. I was eating a pint of ice cream a day (NFDs) on the way home from work. This is the only place I have found outside of therapy where someone understands. This is a place where we share the successes and all the screw ups. I was able to resist cookies yesterday, but the day before I ate at least 10 plus cake. We are here because we understand how hard the struggle is. I don’t think I can do this alone and with this forum I don’t have to.

Stay strong and believe…..small steps

Michel – you’ve been such an inspiration, and I’ve willed you on from the other side of the world many times. Thanks for your support.
    On rereading my initial post it comes across like I’m saying I don’t want to be here any more because Failure is no longer welcome here – totally the opposite of what I was trying to say, which was with everyone doing so well I don’t want to drag the group down with my failings! Everyone is motivated and focused, and I didn’t want to add my whinging about my slip ups and ruin the good positive vibe.
    i should probably just have lurked until I was ready to start again, but the way I’ve been feeling I don’t think I would have started again. Hence self indulgent pity party.
    I’ll shut up now, and again thank you guys and wish you well.

Kitty: Since it is your health at risk, have you thought about seeing a professional. I have greatly benefited from counseling. I don’t want to insult or offend you, but having someone help you understand what is going on could lead to the changes you want. We are self exploring on this forum, but it is not the same as being able to really open up to an understanding/non-judging person with the experience to guide you in your unique situation.

Whatever you do don’t leave us. I will continue to pray for your health and that you find strength to face your battles.

Hugs, M

Ah, haha, what great posts, and thank you Kitty for reminding us all why we’re here.
    We are “motivated and focused” all right, like a herd of cats. Here one moment, unfocused the next! Right, Melb, my name tag might read “HI, I HIDE FOOD IN THE TRASH AND EAT IT LATER, UNLESS IT IS COVERED IN DOG HAIR, AND THEN JUST THE HAIRLESS PART.”

As for being counter-productive, I’ve got that down. I single-handedly made myself ravenous just by saying “no snacks till dinner.” It was TWO O’CLOCK and I’d had a big lunch. By 4 you’d have thought I was being tortured.

So all here have seen me shave a goal down like a sheep, usually as soon as I’ve decided the sheep should grow its hair out. I went from “no snacks” to “well, just some protein,” to “OK, a lot of protein,” to simply diving in the nut jar to the tune of at least 1000 calories. I emerged, nut encrusted, claiming victory after moving the goal line 4 times. But it helped immensely to come clean here about the shortfalls. This week, I’m having fewer shortfalls, but I’ll spare you the gross details why. I can promise you 5:2 is nicer.

Suffice to say, I’d have never joined a thread called “Yay, this is so easy!” This one comes right out and says it. Yes indeed I am a binger, still buying doughnuts for car orgies, I imagine it will ALWAYS give me some kind of secret thrill. I’m trying to make it a resistible thrill, is all.

Love you all to bits.
    jade

As Michel said, I don’t think I could do this alone. I’m so grateful to have a place to run hide OR to be proud about some small victory. And to laugh, good lord I appreciate the pure joy in hearing your wacky stories and reducing mine to silliness, dusted off to try again. Laughing makes the shame less powerful. The more shame I feel, the more I am going to eat in my car out of revenge? Heaven knows against whom (myself? skinny people? people who can eat doughnuts in a real restaurant, not a car? my husband for leaving me alone or, conversely, for NOT leaving me alone? YES ALL OF THEM). Ha, notice my husband is to blame NO MATTER WHERE HE IS.

OK, off to class with me. Keep laughing or you might cry (thanks, mom :))

Hi Kitty, I totally understand where you are coming from – I’ve been really pleased for everyone here who seem to be steaming along successfully fighting krakens, keeping in TDEEs whilst I have been eating myself off the side of a cliff… So yes I understand because a little voice kept saying to me ‘why isn’t it working for me too?’ And then my inner horrible voice was saying ‘well that’s because you are not only greedy but a failure too, ha!’… and then I try to listen to my rational self that says it will be swings and roundabouts for all of us, sometimes we will be up, other times down… Whichever it is, here is somewhere for honesty in a way not possible in ‘real’ life, and eventually some of the stories and tips might work for us (on the question of sticking to TDEE – I’m lucky right now to be sticking to double TDEE… Think I might get expelled from MFP…) so please don’t feel like this is now a forum only for people who are succeeding! I’m still here and definitely on the down swing xxx

For the record, I have almost done 5:2 with real tdees for (drum roll) ONE WEEK. Almost one week. Never previously, just could NOT figure out why I weigh the same as I did in May!
    Two more days, we’ll see. TDEE is a very foreign concept to me.

I have squeezed in under my tdee today by eating 4 packs of walkers squares, a Mars, pack of haribo, And then smacking myself on the head, making a healthy couscous and bean salad for tea and then a slither of cherry pie. Not my finest day but I guess this is all of us in a microcosm – effing up and then getting back on track, albeit with a wobble and a wobble.

Bless you all, you lovely gang of people.
    I’m happy to say I’ve pulled myself out of the mire I’ve been in….self destruction is not an attractive trait. Apologies for sounding the alarm and behaving like a mentalist, it took that and some lovely replies to snap some sense back into me.
    Michel – you’re so right. It is my health at stake and I can’t just feign blissful ignorance. I hear what you’re saying about talking to a professional, it’s something I’ll turn to if I can’t get a handle on it in a month.
    I think when I analyse myself (irony – I’m doing a psychology degree!) I realise I’m just greedy! Yes, emotional eating is a factor, but the fact is, I just like stuffing my face. Just like when I was a smoker, I loved smoking and didn’t want to stop. But I did, and I will stop stuffing my face too.
    What a journey we have all been on together – I hope I can join you all in celebrating some weight loss soon. FD tomorrow!

Oh Melb, smacking yourself on the head…I’ll bet MFP has some cardio/fitness count for that! Thanks for the laugh. Some days are healthier than others, but darn if we can’t just TOTE THAT UP and forge ahead.
    And thank you Michel, your good sense and determination always lift me up. I believe you could be a wizard also. I love having wizards around.
    Kitty, this is the place to rant – if it’s not, I’d have been tossed on my ear long ago. I am just never calm, about anything. I come here to find some peace, some fitting in, the good advice (and ALWAYS the fun).

xxx jade

I just passed ice cream shop without stopping! Woot! I have been eating imaginary ice cream all day. It worked.worked. now if I can control myself when I get home it’ll be a good day.

Annette: I don’t know what spell you cast over me, but I just went to moms to feed the cats and I was looking at the calorie count on all the snacks. Normally I would just dive in and eat a little bit of everything, but this time I’m looking at all the calories and thinking is it worth it? I don’t know what’s happening but I’m going to take advantage of it. I had one cookie, half a serving, 85 calories. Not really worth it.

Thanks to Annette’s wizardry I made it in at TDEE.
    I had to skip the free breakfast to do it, but if I can lose something this week it will be worth it.

Stay strong & fast on!

Well, I was under a spell all right, but not a good one!
    I went about 300 over TDEE because I decided for SOME reason to eat 4 brownies after dinner. WTF. I even broke them into pieces, I suppose thinking that would release the calories!? It would have been worse but I had a pretty light lunch in anticipation of the dinner kraken.
    So, tomorrow is it worth it to aimfor 300 under TDEE? Darn it I was so close!!
    Poo.

Hi to you wonderful folk and Kitty – PLEASE DON’T GO!!!! I say this with a great deal of conviction because I’m sitting at my computer scoffing chocolates that I’m really not enjoying and thinking about what a FU week it’s been so maybe I’ll log on for some inspiration….
    I am definitely struggling at the moment and it is psychology not maths that is my issue as ever. I know this because after a year on 5:2 and a very significant 55lb loss, food is still the only thing that can make me feel better, faster than anything else in the world. Sure it’s fleeting, sure it’s gilded with regret, sure it’s not my higher, adult self making the choice but that’s how I know my issues are psychological. I know full well that 600 crap calories can be substituted for 300 healthy calories with much greater nutritional value but at the point I want to inhale fat and sugar it is totally, completely irrelevant and meaningless. The knowledge of calorie value and nutrition is what can make a difference for someone whose basic reason for being overweight was eating too much but not realising why they were getting fat. I have always known why I was fat, no magic at all. On most days of the last year (and many more of them now, so this is not a rant of despair) I have been able to make a choice to do the right thing but it is still a daily/weekly struggle and at this point I suspect this will always be the case.
    So, this week I’ve had 2 FUFD’s and it’s been a lay-down mesire for Kraken of all kinds but I’m still going to drop in and read what you’re all up to, celebrate your victories as they give me great heart that I will come out of this very soon and be ready to slay Kraken left, right and centre. Spring xx

I was thinking how well you were all doing.All those little changes add up to a change in habits and lets remember that it hasn’t been a week since I threw down the challenge of x2 FD and 5 NFD up to TDEE. It has been said that it takes 6 weeks to develop a new habit, so I wonder if it might take the same time to let go of an existing habit.
    I am looking forward to hearing what the results are tomorrow. Just remember that thinking about something before you consume it is a huge step forward and if you feel better then that is important too.
    I found that reducing my sugar intake has made sweet things taste sweeter, so that I now eat them occasionally rather than several times a day. Something that I never thought possible as a sugar addict and a regular cake maker.
    If losing weight was easy then we would all be slim. Psychology has a huge part to play in that, but changes can be made, habits can change but the sad truth is that consuming more calories than we need will make us fat and keep us fat. Habits make us fat. Every small change that we can make will help dismantle a poor choice. Onwards and downwards fast friends.

Hi annette, I appreciate your thoughts on this as while we all have an individual path to tread we can certainly shine a light on the way for each other. And I can only agree that it is about small changes that make the difference – as a Buddhist I understand that every small choice/decision I make is literally creating my future. However, as others have said on here, it is not a lack of knowing (about calories, nutrition, how 5:2 works or even how habits are formed) but a lack of doing that is the issue. That’s why the emphasis for me (and I think for many others on here) is on the psychological issues I am dealing with. It may well have been shown that it takes 6 weeks to change a habit (I have often looked for the evidence for this, but there don’t appear to be any rigorous studies) but now that I’ve been doing 5:2 for a year I can honestly say that I have not found it getting any easier or found that new habits are taking the place of old. There have been many months when I’ve eaten no sugur or refined carbs and remained ‘good’ based on a 2 x FD and 5 x NFD’s at TDEE and it has meant I have lost a lot of weight, but the formation of new habits are not a part of my experience. There is really only mindfulness and my ability to remain ‘mindful’ fluctuates and I suspect this will always be the case although I would be happy beyond measure if I became one of those people who doesn’t need to think about food every single day to remain a normal weight.

I have been overweight since my late 20’s, after babies, I got a bit fatter until I found myself at 13 stone and 45 years and as a short person-very round. My knees hurt when I went upstairs, I was breathless and looked awful in anything that I wore. My youngest son couldn’t put his arms all the way round me for a hug, bit of a wake up call that one.
    I started with weight watchers and counting points. Lost 2 stone but also any joy with food. Stared the 5:2 in January 2013 lost 1 lb a week and then put 10 lb on at each Christmas when I decided that I would have a break(how bonkers) and then spent the next year trying to lose that weight.
    The conclusion that I came to was that if i want to be a healthy weight for my height then not only do I have to fast 2 days a week, but that I have to keep tabs on what I am scoffing the other 5. I want to be a fit healthy woman who can wear the clothes that she likes and look good in them.
    I am no paragon of virtue, have 4 young men to feed every day and struggle daily with how few calories my body needs as opposed to what i would like. It comes down to choices and I am far happier at 10 stone 5lb than I ever was at 11stone 11lb or 13 stone+.

Indeed I am also happier at my current weight, taking solace in fighting to stay here (the body DOES seem to dig in) and hoping also to reduce further to my goal. It is only with 5:2 that I have ever maintained a weight loss for more than a week or so. So for the last few months, I suppose I’ve actually been on maintenance. When I hit goal, that is going to be fun.

For now, I think a big new habit I need to learn is paying attention to what I actually burn each day. Good GRIEF that is much less than I thought. And getting ever lesser as I age. But as our resident wizard would say, that is the math of it.

Definitely NOT feeling emotionally satisfied (or even hunger-satisfied sometimes) with TDEE yet, but who knows, it could happen. My FU yesterday was my own fault for not knowing how many calories are in a brownie – I honestly thought “I had a light lunch, how much could these hurt.” Well OUCH. Not a disaster but effing MFP said “YOU ATE TOO MUCH, MATHY MATH MATH.” OK, well someday I can have that much, because maintenance expects me to lighten up a bit (figuratively of course) otherwise there would not be 1-2 FD built right in.

Fine. Must regroup my wandering mind and accept that I am NOT 8 feet tall and my TDEE is less than I thought it was. Wahwah not fair but oh well, I shall move on and see what I can do with this bit of information. It will either become a habit or it will just be a bit difficult (though less so than with other plans) until I hit goal. (Note to self: stop reading threads where people talk about how easy it is.) When I look at all this in a positive light, I realize that maintaining over the summer is quite an accomplishment. Maintaining is hard, as we ALL know. So a “plateau” = I am a KICKASS maintainer.

Let’s keep up the fight, Clubbers. Find your personal victories in this fight and capitalize on them. Attack bad habits on a one-by-one basis until you find success with each one. As much as we’d love to be disciplined, non-snacking, water-only drinking, paragons of good health NOW, and that is a wonderful goal, it is a long process for anyone who’d join this thread, and little victories along the way will get us there eventually.

xxx jade

Morning Clubbers!

Motivation– I believe this is the key to the struggles we face. Most of us have the knowledge we need to lose weight, but finding & more importantly keeping motivated is my biggest problem. I believe each us must find our own motivation. Nobody else can do it for us, no matter how good their intentions.

The stories on this site have helped motivate me. I want us all to succeed and achieve a healthier lifestyle, but we must all walk our own path. I hope everyone reading this will continue to come here to share their FUs & successes. We all need understanding, acceptance and encouragement w/out condemnation. (I get enough of that in my daily life)

Fast on Friends!

Feeling a little put out by the scale this morning. I worked hard yesterday to stay in TDEE and expected to stay flat. Instead I had a small gain. Now, I know all about water weight and how the scale does not always reflect correctly (blah, blah, blah), but darn it I need my hard work to be reflected on the scale. Especially when they’re bagels & burritos in the office this morning. The weigh in tomorrow is the only thing keeping me on the path today. I committed to losing weight this week!…….I’m tired of losing & then gaining the same 4 freaking lbs every week. I want new numbers to look at!

Just been out to lunch with my old friends. We each take something to share and I took a lemon polenta cake and a bakewell tart. I made them both and know exactly what went into them. I ate salad, had a small sliver of quiche and it was all going so well,but I knew that I would be having a piece of bakewell tart and I had never made the polenta cake-so I had to try that. Cakes are coming in at around 600 calories in total. Not a disaster, but won’t be having another slice today!

If the scales are not moving then don’t forget to try on your clothes and use the tape measure. I had 1 month when the scales didn’t budge an inch….but I lost 7 inches all over.

I too am fed up with seeing the same lbs over and over again. It has been a long week hasn’t it?

Someone needs to invent an air cake. And not one I have to imagine eating, either. It is flat ridiculous how many calories they have. And the size piece I’d really like has even more (is half a cake a “piece”?).

Michel, I hate the scale. Mine actually went down a bit, just to mess with me. I.e., “brownies? Sure, no problem. I’ll add those to your hips on SATURDAY.” NO NOT THEN! Or maybe my TDEE is higher than I thought? Guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

Well, I’m up for the challenge again next week. This TDEE stuff is enlightening, in a frustrating, pain-in-the-ass kind of way. I expect that at some point I’ll get the hang of actually being flexible, having a few too many on special occasions and compensating with fewer other days. And by the way, I don’t consider driving a “special occasion” although I’ve had some memorable times in my car.

What has become of Queen, Penguin, others who haven’t dropped in lately…? Maybe they found a classier bunch of misfits to hang out with 🙂
    I DOUBT THAT, hahaha.

See you at the scale – TTFN xx jade

Annette, meant to add that your “joy with food” comment struck me. Food is joyful, and I never want to lose that (as you did with WW, and I with SBD). Thank you again for helping me see how I was overlooking one of my biggest issues. I equated “feeling satisfied” with TDEE. But I still need to figure out what “satisfied” actually feels like. And how to get there properly :). xxx

Now I am eating an imaginary lemon polenta cake (yes, I mean the entire cake, because it’s imaginary so why not). Sounds so yummy.

I should have eaten imaginary bagels 🙁

You are such a fabulous bunch of people.
    After the comments about motivation I realized that I had omitted in error, some of the other things that made me want to lose weight and put some effort in. I genuinely believed that I was the person who the 5:2 would not work for and I simply couldn’t believe it when the lbs started to shift and my shape started to change.
    I had always wanted to take part in our local half marathon(13.1 miles), just to get round uninjured, time was never important as I was going to be very very slow and a non sporty 52 years old. I started a couch to 5K programme convinced that I was never going to be able to run further than the end of the road. I got better but also knew that the more weight that I lost, the easier that it was going to be with far less body to haul round. That was my incentive when I started this way of life and 3 months later I hauled this body round and completed the course. The end of race photo showed me how much more fat i needed to lose, lycra is not very forgiving! Then a trip to the doctors when I had vertigo, showed that I had dangerously high blood pressure and there was some pressure to take statins. I struck a deal with my doctor and had 3 months to lose more weight, which I did. My GP was stunned with my weight loss and my blood pressure was also normal. It was quite an incentive to keep going and I did find it difficult to keep that level of determination once I had be given the all clear.
    But I am quite determined to lose these same lbs before the end of the year and not to put back festive lbs this year or any year again.

Hey guys!
    Spring – howdy, I totally agree with everything you said – I have the knowledge of the maths/science/physiology of weight loss, that’s not the problem….it’s the urge to consume. We know exactly how to lose weight, what healthy choices are etc…we just choose to ignore this at times.
    If we find the psychological reason for wanting to binge will this magically unlock the secret to eating normally? Or is the habit too deeply ingrained now? Who knows, but I hope it’s the first one.
    I intend to weigh myself tomorrow to give me another kick up the ass – I will let you all know what damage has been done. And starting Sunday, I will do the TDEEx5 and FDx2 and try to stick to it. Further updates as events warrant!
    I need to stop being so melodramatic and threaten to give up every time I hit a problem. Thanks for all your support and positivity. Continue kicking ass guys!

Annette: Thanks for sharing.
    It always helps to remember where we got our strength to just “walk past” from.

All calories count towards TDEE!

Glad that you found it useful MichellMB.

Kittybangbang. I am not sure that we do know how to lose weight or what healthy choices might be as i know that I find it difficult reading labels and the almost daily information in the press that seems to contradict the previous.Personally I find it all rather confusing to know what is the right thing to do.
    Consumption is something else. Is it comfort? Is it control? I have no idea. I found that FD seemed to help me to rethink my consumption on NFD when I realized just how little I could eat and still be fine. Make sure you take measurements too.

Kitty, Sheryl Canter discusses just that in her Normal Eating book. She advises just stopping before eating to ask am I hungry? Food can only cure hunger (yeah, I laughed at that, too, but keep reading).

So if I’m not hungry, what am I? Usually I’m either bored (wanting the entertainment of food) or celebrating something. So I’m mostly a happy eater. Others eat when upset (mad, disappointed, stressed, etc.). Either way, the common tie is that hunger is not the real trigger.

So, as a first step, she says to just stop, briefly, before eating. Try to figure out what is driving us to eat, if it’s an emotion and not hunger. See if it’s possible to satisfy the need with something that will actually fill it. E.g., I’m upset with myself for putting off a task. I should go do the task instead of eating. HAHA, I know, I should do that. I am smart sometimes and can multi-task 😉

So, sometimes I think it over and either can’t figure out the underlying need or don’t want to deal with it, and I go ahead and eat. It’s still better than mindless eating, and it WILL eventually lead to more mindful eating.

I honestly don’t understand how that could work (if I stop to think and still eat), but I think it does. I am not quite as mindless as before. None of this is easy nor is it a short road. I’m gathering all the tips I can. xxxx jade

Annette, such a lovely story about your half marathon training, running, and medical results. Very inspiring! Haha, lycra is a mean and VERY nosy fabric 🙂 .

How did everyone do today?

I could have done better and I could have done much worse. I did my best to enter everything I ate into MFP. I’m just a little over my TDEE. Not really bad considering all the temptation I had at work today.

Here’s to finding your motivation!

Agree in my case it absolutely isn’t to do with knowledge. I know calorie counts of my chief kraken pretty much off by heart as well as how much exercise if takes to burn them off. Why do I eat regardless? I wonder if deep down perhaps part of it is self sabotage? Do we really believe we deserve to be healthy?

I’m going to try a week of concentrating on respecting my body. Not counting calories, just relaxing, doing some yoga, gentle jogging, lots of green space, being mindful.

Kitty – so impressed you managed to stop smoking. Any tips on how you managed it? For me, people saying JUST EAT LESS sounds a lot like telling smokers JUST STOP SMOKING. I’m pretty sure most people need more help than that!! Is there anything you used to stop smoki that might also apply to us stopping this cycle?

Ah ladies I had been doing so well. Only you will understand this though, we had guests, it was the am, I felt moody, girly time of month and went to have yogurt , berries and porridge… Perfect egh? But I love food so much I didn’t just want one pot, I ate loads, then moved to chocolate rice cakes, wholegrain bread rolls – 4 of them, some French stick and some dark chocolate. If I’m really honest, if someone put more food in front of me I would eat it- it’s only 11.17 am! I have whole day to go and out to dinner tonight and have easily had my total kcal for today. I sometimes wonder if I do it to spite myself. I wish I could find something to lift me like food does. I was trying to have a healthy breakfast this am not to diet but to nourish myself, but last night I couldn’t stop thinking about my breakfast! I love even healthy food… I just love eating… I have a big event to go to next month and was hoping to look nice….

Sorry for a slightly negative post, I just frustrate myself, my appetite annoys me… I’m definitely a food addict.

Hugs to all xx

Queen – I know *exactly* how you’re feeling. That disappointment in yourself, bingers remorse! I did a similar thing with brioche rolls the other day – before I knew it I had eaten five. No reason, just because they were there. Wasn’t even hungry, just saw them and consciously decided to scarf them. But tomorrow is a new day. I’m trying now to even things out, so if I go over TDEE one day I’ll take it off the next days. Theoretically it’s wonderfully simple. In practice, well who knows. But I like the idea.
    As Annette says, simple maths.
    Was it Jade who hilariously coined the phrase “unhinge my jaws like a snake”? That pretty much describes me to a T! Although upon weighing myself today the scales remained the same, despite my self sabotage.
    Melb – it won’t help with the eating thing, but to quit smoking I used those ecigs, used them for two months then just stopped completely. I found it really easy to go from smoking normal cigs to the ecigs as you get the same nicotine hit, just without the icky stuff that goes with it. I actually found I preferred their cleaner taste, plus I liked you could get cherry, vanilla, mint etc flavours. I sound like an advert for them now! But I really would recommend them, my sister did the same after seeing how I quit, and she quit in three months. Let me know if you want any more info,and best of luck if you’re trying to quit and lose weight! A very challenging combination.
    Jade – can you refresh my memory of the books title? Too many posts to scroll back through and I’m lazy! I’ll definitely give it a go, sounds like she has some good insights.
    Hope everyone saw the numbers they wanted to on the scale/tape measure…and if not, well there’s always next week. My aim – 2lbs loss next week. Big hugs and comfort to all who need it xx

Forgot to say…
    Annette – many thanks for sharing your journey with us….I found it personally very relevant as I too have to lose weight for health reasons. It’s very inspiring and I applaud you for managing to go from hypertensive to having a normal blood pressure. It’s about so much more than how we look isn’t it….I had always wanted to lose weight to look better, until my health declined and it actually became necessary to lose it to be safe for surgery. Now it’s no longer just “oh well I’ll stay fat, I can be happy as I am” because that option has been removed. I wish you continued good health and hope you continue to share your experiences with us.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.