Hypothyroid here, need some feedback

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Hypothyroid here, need some feedback

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hiddledumpling 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I’ve read fantastic results from most people here- just want to know if any people who are hypothyroid also see similar results? I just want to know so that I can keep my expectations realistic. I have some 6 kg to lose, workout 6 days a week (3 days cardio and 3 days cardio+weight training), and on 75mcg of thyroxine.
    Would like to hear some encouraging stories from other hypothyroid individuals.
    Many thanks!

Hi Browngirl – I’m also hypothyroid. I was diagnosed in December when I changed doctor’s and they did a blood test. Funny thing is I don’t have any of the associated symptoms and didn’t want to take the tablets; however the doctor said my antibodies were too high and would get worse. I take 50mcg thyroxine.

The thing is that I started on 5:2 January 2013 at 70kg and have dropped steadily since. My goal was 65kg and about 6 weeks ago I decided to do 6:1 with my husband who had also reached his goal. He’s been away this week and I had an extra fast day and this morning weighed at 63.6kg. I’m very pleased.

You should soon lose 6kg on 5:2. Being hypo is said to make losing weight difficult but I was losing without knowing and have continued to lose. My exercise is gardening and long walks (6 miles); I’m 59 years old and 5′ 4″.

Very good luck to you – I don’t see you having difficulties 🙂
    Jane

Hi Browngirl I have a similar good result as Jane–have lost 7kgs since November–I am abit of a couch potato so there hasnt been any exercise happening!! naughty me because I know there’s alot of benefit to be gained.
    Have been on 50mcg now for 20 years and in that time have tried all kinds of weight loss regimes with no good results however this is the one that works, it’s great. am on a plateau now so abit of exercise would no doubt be helpful, let’s see !!!
    there is another thread about when to take the meds. morning or night. The big thing that came out of that thread is the need to make sure it is on an empty tummy and whether its with coffee or not is currently an active discussion.

all the best and keep us posted

@janeface @doublehappy – thank you for sharing your experience. I’m indeed happy to hear this. I exercise like a fiend but don’t see the returns for spending over 90 mins in the gym each day. So i’m looking at a 5-2 way of life to reach my goal weight of 55 and if possible lower. I will continue to exercise 6 days a week and eat sensibly on the other 5 days too. Fingers crossed.

that’s alot of exercise have you checked out HIT–there’s seems to be sound reasoning behind intermittent intense exercise over longer protracted.

I can’t believe my results (7kgs down at last )–wore a slinky dress out to a river cruise this afternoon and wow got so many compliments.

good luck on your downward trek!!

That’s fab, double happy – the weight and the slinky dress 🙂

Browngirl, that is a lot of exercise! Double happy is right about you checking out HIT. Exercise itself makes you hungry and it’s important to cut down on the sugars (carbs) and make sure you’re feel full by eating protein. Good luck and keep in touch. J

@doublehapy @janeface i aim to burn 500 cals on cardio days and minimum 350 on weight training days-i’ll try and keep my exercise on a same level-and see how week one goes. Started my fast at 8pm today post dinner. Excited about my day one of fast tomorrow.

I’m a vegetarian so will be filling up on veggies, tofu, soups and wholegrains (this on on non-fast days) – i’ve already lost 4kg on a regular diet and exercise regime in the last 7 weeks – but weight stagnating since 2 weeks- hence wanted to try this one out!

I hope to get into that slinky dress soon 🙂

Hello Browngirl,I am also hypothyroid,also on 75mcg a day,recently increased from 50mcg a day.
    I’ve been on the 5:2 diet for 3 weeks now and I think it’s definitely making a difference.I’m 51 ,I’ve already gone through/ going the menopause;I’m slighlty heavier than I’d like to be ,but I’ve never really dieted before,I gained about a stone after each of my two pregnancies and since my 40s I’ve gradually increased from around 9st ,to what I know weigh ,which is about 11 St 8llb,I’m 5ft 3in tall.I was diagnosed hypothyroid when I was 40.
    In my work I come into contact with many senior citizens,mainly women,and the worrying thing that most strikes me is the amount of medication that people are on once they reach there late 50s and beyond.
    I watched Dr Micheal Mosley ‘s documentary “Eat,Fast live longer ” and interestingly ; the amount of medication prescribed in ones later years for some people was one of the aspects he mentioned,and the fasting diet life choice could be a way to avoid going down that path.
    So the main reason I’m giving the 5:2 a try is to hopefully loose a little weight ,but mainly to hopefully improve or atleast maintain a healthy body into my senior years.I very interested to find out if being Hypothyroid,makes a difference when choosing this type of diet/lifestyle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.