How long on 800 calories?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
How long on 800 calories?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cyberjack 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I am a 57 year old woman who weighs in at 20st 6lbs.
    I am geared up to start the Fast 800 this Monday. My question is: can I continue on the 800 calorie days indefinitely or should I follow the 5:2 after a two week period on 800 calories?

I am a 57 year old woman who weighs in at 20st 6lbs.
    I am geared up to start the Fast 800 this Monday. My question is: can I continue on the 800 calorie days indefinitely or should I follow the 5:2 after a two week period on 800 calories?

Hi Pearsoy,

I haven’t read Dr Mosley’s new book yet, but I understand he suggests to do the 800 a day for as long as it seems sustainable, and then to go to 5:2. In his blood sugar diet, for people with pre-diabetes, he recommended doing 800 a day for 8 weeks.

I’d suggest you try it for 2 weeks and then reassess. The important thing is to make it sustainable, so you don’t just give up and put weight back on again.

Even if after 2 days you can’t do another one, it is still okay, you can go to 5:2 and keep losing weight.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Hi Cinque

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I will take your advice and take it day by day but try to follow the Fast 800 for perhaps a couple of weeks and review as you suggest.

This is day one!

I appreciate your help

Pearsoy, I agree that taking it day by day is the way to start.

If you find you can handle 800 calories daily for a few weeks at a time you can also consider doing this in stages. What I mean is a period of weeks on 800cal, then 5:2 for a few weeks, then back to 800cal again. You can move between both options for as long or short a period as you like. 5:2 is quite easy, 800cal daily is much more restricted, but it will give you much faster weight reduction and also a faster improvement in health issues related to obesity. Only you can balance those things to best suit you.

Sending best wishes for your first fast day Pearsoy. Hope it has gone well.

Dr Mosley recommends up to 8 weeks on 800 calories per day then switching to intermittent fasting on several days per week.

He also recommends following a Mediterranean style diet and going low carb plus time restricted eating limiting the hours of the day in which you can eat and suggests aiming for 16:8 ie fast for16 and eat for 8 by starting with a longer eating period and gradually decreasing it.

If you’ve not fasted before all of this is going to take a while to get used to so trying it for 2 weeks is a good way to start.
    I would suggest you buy the book if this is the first time you’ve tried anything like this.

Good luck.

I would definitely read the book and gave post it notes and a pencil to hand and study it. It’s helped me understand and trust the plan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.