HIIT swimming – rest or swim between intervals

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Fast Exercise Getting fit
HIIT swimming – rest or swim between intervals

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  yvettekim40plus 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• I am doing interval training in our local 25m indoor pool. I warm up with a couple of lengths then sprint flat out for 25m, then rest for a couple of minutes before another sprint. I usually do a total of 8 sprint lengths and warm down with some walking in the pool.

I’m wondering if I should be doing slow swimming (active resting) instead of just gasping at the end of the pool?

For context I am not new to swimming. I’m 54 and my pre-HIIT swim workout would be around 20+ continuous lengths at a reasonably quick pace in the time I have available, swimming in the fast lane. However, the sprint intervals are killing me. I am exhausted after each one, so I really need to rest and let my HR settle before embarking on the next one.

Is it better to sprint really hard and rest, or lower the sprint intensity so I can do a lap or two slowly between sprints?

Yes, I too started doing interval training in our 25m pool. It really was incredibly hard, but am sticking with it, but I am doing mine with 2-3 slow laps in between.

I have only started interval training so need to really experiment for myself, as I am not a fast swimmer anyhow. Keep me posted on how you go with it. Sorry that I don’t having anything useful to add, just wanted to share there is another swimmer in sunny NZ giving it a go!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.