Help!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Couscous 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Ok so I’m new to this diet and was wondering if anyone could please give me a little advice. I know there is loads of helpful advice on this forum but other people I know doing it, are starting to confuse me :/

I started 11 days ago and so far I feel great and am loosing weight but.. I’m not sure if i’m doing it right?

My fast days are usually Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I have a normal tea on Monday/Wednesday night (last meal) at about 6pm then don’t eat again until 6pm on my fast day. I save my 500kcals for fast day tea. (I have never really eaten much through the day anyway and find this easier)
    The day after fasting I then don’t eat until mid-morning/lunch.

Can someone tell me if this is right please? Sorry for sounding thick! Just trying to get my head round it all.

Thanks, Sharpey

Hi, Sharpey – That schedule sounds good to me, if you are comfortable with it – two periods of 24 hours in full fast. Quite a lot of people prefer to do it that way and find it easier than eating two or more small snacks during a fast day. We’re all different so we each need to find what timings best suit us as individuals. Don’t forget, the 5:2 approach is very flexible, so, the days and the times can be changed if your circumstances require it on occasions. I trust you are getting enough fluids, especially on your fast days, and good nutrition on your non-fast days, otherwise your metabolism will slow down, to prevent weight-loss, and your health will suffer. (I’m starting to sound like I’m someone’s Mum!) I hope you enjoy this new process and get lots of benefit from it.

Dear Sharpey 89,

that plan sounds good to me 🙂 Remember, whatever works best for you is the BEST plan.

My last meal the day before a fast day is usually dinner at around 5-6 PM. If I’m really hungry at night I’ll have some fruit/berries later on, too (but usually not).

On fast days, I normally have a boiled egg for breakfast, primarily because I have to keep my 5-year-old son company (I’m a single mum with only one child)and I want to disguise that fact that I’m fasting from him. I think it’s good for children to have a proper meal to start off the day, and I want him to have a natural and uncomplicated relationship with food.

I don’t eat anything else until dinner at 5-6 PM – and then I usually eat a normal dinner with my son. This works really well for me so far…

I’m trying really hard not to get into diet-modus in my head, because that usually trips me up and makes me “fall off the wagon”, so to speak 🙂 For me, this is a lifestyle, not a diet. And whatever works best for me and my small family, is the best way to go (that’s the reason I only fast on workdays, so I can enjoy food with my son on weekends, etc.)

What about the lunch-lunch schedule? If normal lunch day 1, nothing to eat until lunch on day 2. . .are the calories for lunch on day 2 limited to 500 for women or are they unrestricted? Please advise. This is quite confusing for me.

Dear DeboWhit
    I am only in week 3 and have only tried the standard full day fast so far i.e 500 cals between waking and going to bed. This is effectively a 36 hr fast as last normal meal is dinner 8pm day 1 and next normal meal is breakfast 8am day 3. But I am struggling with this as find I can’t concentrate at work as feel too hungry and want to try spreading fast over 2 days to see if it works better for me. But from what I have read, the advice is to aim for as long a fast as possible which is why the 36 hours is recommended. So if you eat normal lunch day 1 then you must only have 500 cals over the next 3 meals i.e dinner day 1, breakfast and lunch day 2 with your next normal meal being dinner day 2. This would effectively be a 30 hour fast or longer depending on how late you eat dinner. I know I won’t be able to skip both dinner and breakfast as you are planning, so instead I will split my 500 cals between either Dinner day 1 and Lunch day 2 or between B and L day 2. I am going to try this tomorrow and continuing into next day and see how it goes. Good luck with your plan

Hi allybally and other posters with concerns. The idea is to find what works for you. If 36 hr fasting does not work for you then find a system that does.
    You will not be a failure with the 5:2 system if you change it to suit your personal needs.
    Treat it as a work in progress. Experiment. There is no “Must” about it.
    With some experimentation, trial and error hopefully you will find a 5:2 system that suits you and helps deliver the inner health benefits that it is aimed at. The weight loss is a welcome secondary benefit.
    I personally follow the K.I.S.S. system with this lifestyle diet. It works for me. (Keep It Simple Stupid.)
    Good Luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.