Help with inflammation?

This topic contains 122 replies, has 88 voices, and was last updated by  Tifwellaton 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 125 total)

• hi ros,

Thanks for the suggestions 🙂 Sugar is a demon for sure! I havent totally given up gluten, i just mainly have gluten free bread and skip all the other wheat products… I do buy soup mix (the dried stuff) which contains gluten but i know its super yummy and healthy.. i make a mean soup! I am going to give the a2 milk a go i think.. Thats an easier option for sure! I already eat organic yoghurt and I try to eat as much organic stuff as possible, although u have to wonder about supermarket labeled organic… Bit by bit i will get there 🙂

Brandy

Fantastic to connect these dots, Matrika.

Y’know just this weekend I met a friend for lunch at an art show. She talked about Gillespie’s book and I have it jotted on my art show paperwork! Twice in three days can’t be ignored!!
    I just know that the circus around sugar, fats and salt is very complex.

Did you (or anyone else) see the series called “The Men Who Made Us Fat”? It’s quite scary how our palates have been trained to demand over-the-top flavour enhanced by unbalanced quantities of fat, salt and sugar. As a corollary to that U.K. show, 4 Corners screened last night was an eye-opener as well. If you missed it, have a look on iView.

I must get “Sweet Poison” from the library. Thank you.
    Ros.

Hi Ros:

I do not choose words lightly when I use them. If you would have watched the clips I referenced, you would have seen that it is a medical doctor with almost 20 years of treating patients with diabetes who has a very large practice treating diabetics that used the word ‘cured’. Perhaps you should contact him and point out his error. I believe others on this site have contacted him and received replies. I simply reported his conclusion.

I am not aware of any clinical studies that take people that used to need insulin to manage their diabetes but no longer need any drugs and measure if they can go back to ‘normal’ eating, whatever that is, without redeveloping diabetes. I guess there are not a lot of those kinds of people around to conduct such a study.

G’day Sim,

Back again after a busy few days! I’m sure you’re quite right about the studies and so forth. Not fussed about that – you’re in the know, clearly. We both made a different point and folks can take it or leave it, just as you suggest. You and I can leave it at that too.

A question came up in conversation yesterday about thyroidectomy and putting on weight in spite of thyroid hormone replacement. Must be very distressing, and the thought struck me that maybe fasting and the subsequent change in metabolism might have a positive influence. Does anyone have experience or knowledge?

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Lovely weather here,
    Ros.

Michael quote
    One of the things that I am particularly interested in is the anti-inflammatory effects of intermittent fasting (IF). A number of studies, in humans and in mice, have shown that IF reduces inflammatory markers (unlike high protein diets which seem to increase them). In a review paper for The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, March 2005, Dr Mark Mattson (whose work I cite frequently in my book as he is one the great researchers in this field) writes:

“Intermittent fasting and caloric restriction (CR) extend lifespan and increase resistance to age-related diseases in rodents and monkeys and improve the health of overweight humans. Both IF and CR enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity…The beneficial effects of IF and CR result from at least two mechanisms — reduced oxidative damage and increased cellular stress resistance.”

I will go into the mechanisms around oxidative damage and what he means by cellular stress resistance at a later date if anyone out there is interested.
    End Michael quote.

The above was posted by Michael last year, Jan 2013. Yes it would be helpful if you could please go into what he means by cellular stress resistance.

I have a serious problem with inflammation and am very intent on addressing it. Would very much like to have more information following up on this post (at the top of the thread) which appears not to have been followed up on or revisited.

Hi peregrin, just saw your post regarding hip arthritis and pain eased. I too have hip arthritis and told 2 yrs ago(when I was 48) that I have to have a replacement but I felt that is much too young. I decided to try fast diet to try to shed extra weight. If I am really strict I do have less pain but it’s not an instant relief. I need to lose a stone more.let me know how you succeeded?

As one of my daughter in laws has breast cancer, the other has IBF and my son has just found out he is allergic to carbs I’m extremely interested in the above mentioned information. Seems to me that the younger generations are paying a high price for all these manufacturers producing food for big profits even though a lot of them are aware of the consequences.
    Another maybe not so relevant study in the 50’s that drinking 2 liters of water each day was necessary for our wellbeing, what they forgot to publish is that we get a large amount of fluid from what we eat.
    Now that I’ve taken notice of this information I sleep better and don’t need to go to the loo so often.
    Ann

Hi katser2, I looked for peregrins post that you were answering and I couldn’t find it…however re:hips, I was told by a rheumatologist a few days ago that my high inflammatory markers are possibly due to the fat I am carrying. (My BMI is 32).

I wondered if the fat (being inflammatory) was the prior condition to the osteo-arthritis.

For me, the insulin resistance is the prior condition to the weight gain…I used to be very slim for most of my life. So a big tick for continuing with the intermittent fasting to lose the inflammatory fat.

It gets complex trying to tease out which is the underlying bit of the puzzle to address…as far as I can tell, the fasting is healing at many levels and won’t harm, so I am totally willing to recover from all my ailments using this approach.

I’ve pretty much cut out carbs altogether now, as I have type 2 diabetes and am controlling it with diet now. I do my walking in a hydrotherapy pool because it is a lot gentler on joints…I hike up and down for an hour a day now in a heated pool.

And I’ve found Paul Lam’s “Tai Chi for Arthritis” pretty helpful, I am using a DVD and doing it in my living room.

When I encounter a difficulty with my hips now, if I find there is a movement I can’t do that causes me pain, I go see a doctor who does adjustments and that is allowing me to fend off surgeries.

It is scientifically validated that the major cause of developing and maintaining hemorrhoids is the constipation. The chance of a successful hemorrhoids recovery and effective hemorrhoids treatment is a slim, if the constipation is not removed or managed at least.The diet of contemporary man consist mainly of processed food, which contains low fiber. The daily intake of fiber of average American is about 7 gram. The recommended dosage, according to The Institute of Medicine and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, is 14 grams of fiber per each food calories eaten daily.For example, average daily diet in terms of calories is estimated to be calories for a middle -aged man and about calories for a middle- aged woman. Therefore, we may calculate that on average a man should take at least 35 gram fiber daily and a woman- about gram fiber daily.http://www.healthcaresup.com/forskolin-belly-buster/

“I will go into the mechanisms around oxidative damage and what he means by cellular stress resistance at a later date if anyone out there is interested.”

Please…still interested…

I have high inflammatory markers which I am pursuing.

I have been unable to get any doctor pinned down to follow where mine are coming from, they get all vague and fluffy, so uninformed as I am, it is my own job to sort out because I am concerned about it.

I am currently working on the assumption that given the right nutrients and resolving any underlying pathology (infection) my body will, with fasting or intermittent VLC, be able to balance itself better.

I am running on faith with that, would be very grateful to have more information or pointers to where to get more information.

Many thanks and happy new year.

The new revised edition of The Fast Diet is fantastically clear on inflammation.
    THANK YOU MICHAEL MOSLEY!!!

Hi matrika, where can I get this information? I have the first edition of the Fast Diet, is there more information in the new book?

Yes, there is revised updated information in the new book.

Hi everyone… I have been on 5:2 since June last year. Down from 108 to 92kg and going strong. however there is something i am increasingly concerned by. That is, if i don’t drink enough water i seem to get swollen “rock hard” glands in my neck (up high just below my jaw), i suspect this is my thyroid gland… does anyone else experienced this? Should i be concerned?
    Secondly, I am wondering of this has anything to do with my “permanent” 24/7 headache i have had for over 15 years (yes that long) which I can report is alleviated for just 24hours after a fast day… without fail!!!

Hi Keith,

Congratulations on your tremendous weight loss. Definitely a great idea to focus hard on drinking plenty of water on Fast days.

I would definitely recommend that you speak with your doctor regarding the issues you have mentioned here just to put your mind at ease.

I have been on the 5.2 diet for 7 weeks now. I am not overweight, but I have osteo arthritis in my hip which has caused a lot of pain right down my leg for months. I have been taking 8 plus pain killers a day for 6 months and waiting for a hip operation. However, since going on the diet I have noticed a huge reduction in my pain and have been able to abandon the drugs and hopefully the operation. Thank you Michael

IBS relief,
    A friend of mine has suffered with chronic IBS for over 20 years. She had tried all sorts of restriction diets and took medications, all with little relief. She also has Fibromyalgia. Six months ago I suggested she go sugar free as I had added it to my 5:2 plan to reduce calories and noticed less stomach cramps. Since doing this she is having very few episodes and finally leading a normal life. Her Fibromyalgia has also improved significantly.
    Definitely worth a try I would say

I am interested as have chronic conditions which cause chronic pain and inflammation. I take a combination of opiods, muscle relaxants and NSAID for pain. I am aware that although seemingly inocuos in comparison to morphine that the NSAID is likely to be the most risky in the long term (have been taking it about 7 years now).
    If I had less inflammation I maybe could stop taking NSAID and possibly reduce rest of meds due to having less pain.

Hi all, I’m new to this thread, just wanted to share my experience with you. I was recently diagnosed with inflammatory osteoarthritis. I also has M.E./CFS/SEIDS or what ever the heck they are calling this illness this week. 🙂 in addition to thyroid issues, hypertension and high cholesterol. I have taken rather high doses of anti inflammatories for probably twenty years along with stronger medications for pain over the years. My stomach had reached the point that I just couldn’t tolerate them anymore.
    With fasting my weight had gone from 162 lbs ( I am a sixty two year old woman, 5’2″ tall) to 135 lbs after a year of fast days, (thank you Michael and Mimi) 🙂 I was quite pleased. My goal weight was 130 lbs and I had hit a plateau, but wasn’t unhappy where I was. However, during the time I had been fasting, I noticed I didn’t tolerate grains too well. The only time I had heartburn was after eating bread or pasta( prior to fasting, it was almost constant) plus eating grains made me hungrier.
    My cholesterol had actually gone up with fasting and the doctor really wanted me to start statins, my thyroid medication had been decreased a couple of times, blood pressure medications unchanged. I decided I needed to make further dietary changes. I saw a program called Wheat Belly which claimed that grains have many detrimental effects on the body. Having been checked for celiac disease many years ago, with positive blood markers, but not gut damage, I decided to give grain free a try.
    As of Jan. of this year I incorporated a grain free diet into my fasting regime, omega 3 supplement and stopped all anti inflammatories. My stomach has recovered, I still have pain. However my pain levels on no medication are better than they were on multiple medications. My cholesterol is coming down, my blood pressure meds have been decreased, my thyroid meds decreased again. I am sleeping well without sleep aides and my weight is now between 126 and 127 lbs. I have no hunger or cravings.
    I shared this not to say you must give up grains, but to suggest that you might want to investigate. It has really helped the pain in my hands, hips, and knees. I still have pain in my upper back due to a disk problem, but it is improving. I hope this helps someone. Sorry for the LONG post, but it’s hard to explain quickly. 🙂 oh, and please note, I did this in addition to I.F. The fast diet is a wonderful thing and I recommend it to everyone every chance I get. Blessings to all. Phyllis

Anyone out there with Oral Lichen Planus?
    Recently diagnosed.
    Trying various remedies.
    Any help appreciated

Michael
    Very interested in the anti inflammatory effect of fasting. I suffer from extreme sciatica and am unable to take anti inflammatory medication.
    Any concrete evidence as to fasting having a definitive effect?

I have fibromyalgia IBS and osteoarthritis. I have seen significant improvement in all three. I have come off the FODMAP diet for IBS and am not lactose intolerant any more!
    I can’t believe it!

I was diagnosed with Hashitoxicosis, RA, and have a positive ANA and Smith antibodies. My immune system went haywire. When I was diagnosed, I could barely walk. I was 39. I was given prednisone, methotrexate, and a biological called Cimzia. The methotrexate was eventually changed to Arava because I couldn’t cope with the hair loss. I got my daily function back with the meds, but I gained almost 50 lbs. in 2 years. I felt miserable. I went gluten free and started tappering the prednisone. Several months in that, I lost my job and insurance. Losing my medical insurance pushed me to try something different, food as medicine and IF. I take a shot of fresh ginger and lemon juice with tumeric powder every morning and only have eating window between 1pm-7pm each day. I still keep the food within the alloted time as clean as possible. I drink filtered water with lemon. So far in 4 months, I have lost 20 lbs. And my inflammation has gone down. I have little to no pain or swelling. I am thankful to have found IF. I hope I continue to heal. I hope others suffering find it as a solution.

Hi

I have RA and polymyalgia. Although I’ve tried most of the older RA treatments (methotrexate, arava etc), for a number of years now I have been using only the new biologic treatments – currently Orencia infusions (abatacept). The biologics have given me a better remission of symptoms than any other treatments and I know from taking a 3 month break from treatment that I basically don’t function without the treatment.

While treatment provides more remission of symptoms, including inflammation, than anything else, there are impacts from diet and exercise that also have had an impact for me.

I found, to my surprise, that my inflammation levels dropped after losing substantial weight (I went from 127kg to 75kg). At the lower weight my ESR blood tests went down by about 10 points (my drug treatment gets them down by 30 points). In December I gained about 10kg (which I am now slowly losing on 5:2), and my ESR went up again, so this shows me that there is a connection between weight and inflammation in my body. (Basically my ESR with the RA untreated is roughly 50, when I’m on a biologic treatment it’s 20, when I weight less than 80kg it’s 10.) So, for me, treatment has a much more significant effect than diet, but they both help.

I also have noticed that I need to include movement in my day, even when it’s difficult as a few sedentary days make me feel worse (more pain and stiffness). It’s a balancing act though – too much exercise and it can increase my pain. A walk of 30 minutes and a few stretches is ideal. I also have a 30min yoga program that I do on rainy days (with RA my flexibility and balance is compromised, but I use a program designed for the elderly – that’s the level that I can manage).

These effects are things I’ve noticed about my own body (and my sister who also has RA has noticed similar effects). However, this is personal experience and I don’t know whether my experience is similar to others with RA.

I hope you all find solutions to your inflammation issues.

A little background behind my story; I had a severe back injury a couple months ago and my doctor prescribed a plethora of prescription meds and although they helped, the mental effects were too much to handle. This began my search for alternatives and what I stumbled upon was CBD. I found a brand called Quanta that sells CBD in vape form and ever since using CBD my pain has been substantially reduced without the hazy side effects. If anyone is in a similar situation and sees this post I highly recommend just giving it a try!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply.