Help! Overeating on non-fast days

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Top tips
Help! Overeating on non-fast days

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Has anyone got any tips on how to eat sensibly on non-fast days? I find that I am really, really hungry! I end up eating more than I intended, even when I have planned out in advance what I am going to eat. I’m usually over 1000 calories by 11am, and my TDEE is 1350! Any wise words would be much appreciated!

Hi mcca and welcome:

The standard advice is to eat more foods with fat and protein in them, and fewer carbs, especially processed carbs like sugar, bread, cereals and pasta. This is because carbs make you more hungry, while fats and protein make you less hungry. Here are some general tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hello all. Embarrassed to admit. Just eaten a whole Sains 500g trifle in just over an hour. Believe me, I’m not proud. Just an example of however I lack any sort of control on a non fast day. Oh I know, why did I buy it? Suffered a moment of weakness yesterday on a fast day, andj, stupid I know, these trifles are on offer at half price at the moment.

I’ve also eaten about 100g peanuts and breakfast and lunch. After eating half of the trifle, I still felt like eating the rest. I don’t experience fullness since being on 5:2, but manage to not each such trash on fast days. Binge or what?

I can’t believe this is me and my eating was never this bad. Can’t believe I’m telling you this. What an embarrassment.

Well I’ve with you all here. I think I’ve eaten enough calories for all the people in my town. I AM STARVING. Admittedly only second Feast Day. At this rate I’ll be as Fat as a Christmas Turkey!

Mcca – I’m curious where you got the figure of 1350 calories for non-fast days? It seems to me we are able to eat much more than that on non-fast days. How long have you been doing this and how are your results? If you are having results I wouldn’t stress about it. To me, it seems you are being too restrictive over all. The point is that you’re supposed to relax and eat as normal on your non-fast days. And if you stick to non-processed healthy foods, your body should adjust to a normal appetite.

Ruby, TDEE is dependent on many things including age. There are many people on this site with a TDEE OF 1300-1400.

mcca, what do you eat on fast days and how does it differ from non fast days?
    If you usually eat a lot of processed carbs and sugar you might be suffering from withdrawal symptoms on the day following a fast as your body is addicted to them and telling you to eat more.
    The answer is to start cutting down on the amount of such foods you eat every day which probably isn’t what you want to hear.

I found that cutting out breakfast and gradually pushing back the time of day when I start eating has really helped. I now rarely eat before lunchtime on any day as I am not hungry.
    I also make a concerted effort to make healthier choices every day. It wasn’t easy but I kept asking myself if I wanted to be unfit and obese forever or if I really wanted to make this diet the one that works.
    Everyone can succeed on 5:2 but it takes willpower and sacrifice to re-train our appetites.
    I still eat cake, chocolate, dessert etc but they are all occasional treats and not all on the same day. They actually touch the sides as they go down now too 😉

I’m far from perfect, I still have bad days when I eat far too much of the wrong thing but they only happen occasionally rather than being a daily routine. And I’m yet to conquer the post night out (yes I mean alcohol) cheese on toast fest but I’ll keep trying!

Unfortuantely there is no magic bullet, it’s all about willpower and heathier eating habits.

I’m one of the “lucky” one’s with a TDEE of 1400 calories. It does make NFDs a challenge, exacerbated by the fact that I also have a binge eating disorder.
    A low TDEE is not uncommon if you are short, female and older and it’s even worse if you aren’t very active. I have a chronic illness that limits my activity options so although I do make sure every day includes movement it’s not enough to make much difference to my TDEE.

I was really annoyed when I realised how low my TDEE actually was – I felt cheated. But reality is what it is and unless I learned how to eat the right amount of food I was doomed to be obese forever. I eventually figured out how to restructure my diet to stay around my TDEE on NFDs.

I made similar changes to those Amazon described. I don’t feel hungry first thing in the morning so I rarely eat before 11am, and often it’s later – I try very hard to listen to my hunger and not to eat when I’m not hungry. I eat wholefoods not junk foods. I eat plenty of carbs but they are high fibre complex carbs (eg legumes & wholegrains), I rarely eat simple carbs and sugars other than those in fruit. For me a lower-fat high-fibre varied diet that is high in veg & fruit content is the best fit. I eat 6-10 serves of veg & fruit each day. This gives me enough volume to eat, a wide range of nutrients and keeps me under my TDEE. However, I don’t have insulin resistance and have never had issues with blood sugar – I know my approach to food choices may not work as well for people with those issues. It took a bit of experimentation for me to find a dietary approach that works for me and my solution is personal to me. I think everyone needs to find what works for them, as if I’ve learned anything on this forum it’s that one size definitely doesn’t fit all.

TDEE is just a guide at best. You have to learn to eat to a level that works for you. That being said, if you eat a lot of sugary junk you are probably going to eat more. Why do you think there is so much sugar in processed foods? It works to keep us eating.

The problem isn’t with the amount you want to eat the problem is with what is eaten. A bit of treats isn’t going to cause you to become a blimp but stuffing yourself with treats isn’t going to help you lose weight.

So I think the trick is to have lots of foods you can eat a lot of until your body tells you to stop. For example I mostly replaced my ice cream that I love with nuts. Nuts are actually higher calorie content but I for whatever reason I don’t seem to gain weight off of them like I do from ice cream. I also have been finding ways to add fiber to my food and I don’t avoid fats. I don’t go out of my way to have fats, I just don’t avoid them anymore. What I do avoid is added sugar! I go out of my way to avoid it and when I do have it I’m mindful of it so I limit it. I try to stay under 10g/day of added sugar. Now I don’t limit myself on fruit but fruit is expensive and it is hard to eat too much whole fruit, so that is self correcting.

It is also completely possible to eat huge amounts of food with limited calorie content. For example one day when everyone else was out for supper I made a salad large enough for six people and eat all of it. I just used one persons worth of high calorie toppings though. It was actually good and under 500 calories. The only problem is that it took me 90 minutes to eat it and I felt a little too full well into the next day, which was a fast day.

Changing one’s diet takes time and effort. Take it a step at a time. Fix the diet and the overeating will take care of itself. Most of the time now I eat less than what I used too when I started 5:2 about six months ago. When I do overeat, I’m mostly overeating foods that won’t derail my diet. (Except nuts and frankly I eat way too much of them, but for some reason it hasn’t derailed my weight loss.) The point is eat things that work with your body and the amounts will take care of themselves.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.