Help needed with needing the bathroom too much. Can 5:2 help?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
Help needed with needing the bathroom too much. Can 5:2 help?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Martie 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• I don’t know what it is with me but it seems I’ve always needed the loo several times before I feel ‘safe’ to leave the house (seriously!) and even then I increasingly find myself having very close shaves and literally only just making it to public bathrooms. I start a new job soon which means I have to commute for about 90 mins and I’m genuinely worried I might not make it one day. I do use the loo regularly throughout the day but much more so in the morning and was wondering if cutting breakfast out (16:8 kind of thing) might help? Having said that maybe if I cut the evening meal out instead? Or maybe my body just likes a morning clear out or something? Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Doesn’t seem healthy to need the loo as much as I do!

I am one of those people who when I need to go, I often really HAVE to go. Years ago I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Disease and was on medication, but as the years went on I stopped taking the meds and the pain etc has long gone. But, I reckon I have a very fast digestive transit and toilet times would always be super quick, with many times in the morning…this is no 2 we are talking about, I assume this is what you meant? It is a delicate subject but I understand where you are coming from having been almost caught short many many times.

I started 5:2 two months ago. I skip breakfast most days, often don’t have first meal until either lunch or sometimes dinner, and sometimes have a liquid only fast day. My toilet times now are the number 1 health benefit that I can see from this way of eating (well, apart from all the weight I have lost 😄).

I think my body loves when I fast, repairs whatever needs to be repaired in the digestive system, and I can happily say that for the first time since I can remember I an “normal” with the morning toilet time. No rushing. I now relate to people bringing something to read to the loo 😮 The body works so well now.

Maybe 16:8 will work for you, maybe it won’t…but wishing you well if you do decide to try it.

Thanks for that Daffodil2010, appreciated. And yes, we’re talking about No2s here, but I’ve always had an ‘early warning system with both!
    Your post is encouraging, as is the whole 5:2 thing in general and I’m really up for this as the benefits sound good AND true! 🙂

While Fasting does promote urination on the day of the Fast, there are other reasons for both frequent urination and problems with bowel function [both starting and stopping]

Pelvic floor dysfunction can affect all types of elimination. For that there is an evaluation process and physical therapy. And it brings good results.

Problems with bowel function can be addressed by adding green smoothies to the diet slowly. Many people find this useful.

Thanks fasting_me. The green smoothie idea sounds good. Do you know ow why that works? Also, would that be any greens or some in particular?

@martie. There could be a myriad of reasons why you have the dilemma you do. Not eating enough fibre can manifest itself in may ways. Im not saying this is the problem but it is a real possibility. If you do not eat enough fibre the bacteria in your large intestines start starving to death. Their last resort os to start eating the mucus lining of your intestines. This means digested matter that isn’t supposed to cross that membrane starts doing so. Your body may be frequently flushing itself in an attempt to minimise this. Start feeding your gut bacteria. They love fibre. Go for your cruciferous veggies, apples have loads of soluble and insoluble fibre. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Remember that saying.

Be prepared for the situation to get worse before it gets better. Once you start feeding your gut bacteria a war may well start and it may take several weeks for the good guys to win.

Thanks bigbooty, that’s a really interesting perspective. I guess I was brought up believing that fibre was the cause of something like this as it’s something we were encouraged to have plenty of to keep us ‘regular’. The problem with me was that I was too regular so now I’m wondering if I’ve been subconsciously avoiding fibre, which is having the opposite effect! With this in mind, strongly suspect you’re right as I probably don’t get enough fibre so will try remedy that this week and see what happens.

Also, I do eat veg but rarely eat fruit as I’ve never really liked it but will definitely be looking at introducing a little,if only that apple a day!

Can you recommend anything else that feeds the gut bacteria?

Thanks again 🙂

Lots of people on this site are also big on eating fermented foods like yoghurt. Lots of others eat sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha tea. I eat high fat low sugar yogurt and drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before every meal.

You then have to make sure you’re feeding them. A contented bacteria means a happy stomach. High fibre foods are cruciferous veggies like spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy. Eat leafy greens. Also beans, legumes, onions, garlic, cabbage, asparagus. Avoid starchy veggies like potatoes.

Give it a few months, its a slow repair. Im not saying its the cause of your problem but the absolute worse that would happen is that you’d be eating healthy foods.

Thanks again bigbooty, I have apple cyder vinegar in and am quite fond od sheep’s yoghurt (not sure if that’s got all the probiotics though?) I’ve been wanting to try kombucha for years and will look into kimichi (not a lover of sauerkraut unfortunately).

As long as you have several different sources I think that’s the trick. Once you have the little critters you want to make sure you feed them well. Processed food starves them, high fibre food feeds them.

Oh just remembered throw in some cheese as well. Mozzarella and cottage cheese are two good cheeses for probiotics. Not a big fan of cottage cheese but mozzarella I like.

Good luck.

Thanks again bigbooty I’m actually quite fond of cottage cheese and not had it for a while so looking forward to getting back into that. I did my first fast day this week and it was surprisingly easy, am looking forward to the next one! I’m also being much more discerning on non fast days and keep going for longer gaps in between meals. Feeling much better (and I can almost fasten my jeans!!) 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.