HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 7,330 total)

• Yes, Bayleafoz! For me, one of the main changes I’ve noticed is the satisfaction with much smaller versions of treats on fast days. I always think about whether I am truly hungry (quite often I am not) and what I really want to eat. Enjoy your stomping around the bush!

Good luck with fast day 3 , Jojo! I did Monday-Tuesday-Thursday this week. Away from home today, so I can’t weigh in until tomorrow and will report in then!

JoJo and all: I am now 11 weeks on IF and today (scale day) hit 11 lbs off.

I tried Atkins Fat Fast this week for my 2 day BtoB fast. You eat 1000 calories of 80% fats (ideally good fats, mono unsaturated fatty acids MUFAs…avocado, nuts, salad with olive oil, coconut oil etc). It is supposed to burn even more fat than traditional fasting. And of course no bread or pasta.

Results: no different for me than regular fasting. Lost the same 1 lb I have been steadliy loosing all along. I guess the good side is that fats really zap hunger. So definately less hungry, but no improvement on weight lost.

I have been remiss in excercising. Have been off two weeks now. Have a big annual work dinner/dance this weekend and didn’t want to be sore for that from starting back, so plan to wait until after and then resume. Hoping that might add an additional 1 lb off per month. Would so like to loose 5 per month instead of my lb per week.

Anxious to hear how everbody else is doing and pick up some pointers.

Congrats, LuvTCook! Steady weight loss after 11 weeks is certainly to be celebrated! Have fun at your dinner…dance your a** off! šŸ™‚

Hi Jojo-

Haha! Yes, I was aware! Better watch my mouth!

So what are female power ballards?

The kettlebells are kind of new to me, but I’m working up to going longer, learning new tricks to do with them, interspersing with other exercises–trying to do a Hiit style routine 3 days a week. I need to figure out the cardio part.

After the B2B fast days-I lost 3.2 lbs.!! I know this is mostly water weight coming off, I’m too short to lose that much in a couple of days and my TDEE is too low to move it that fast, but I’ll take it !

Have a good day, all!

Hi Speedy,
    well done you, you must be ecstatic. I lost 3.5 on my first B2B, was it only last week? it’s a great feeling, I kept mine off so keep up the good work.

I can recommend ‘the Swing’ by Tracy Reifkind. I practise this twenty mins three times per week. My kettle bell is not that heavy (5 pounds) but I am happy with it. I am doing well today on my fast but it’s a long day, desperately waiting for dinner. Prawns and zero noodles tonight, this was planned for last night but the fish and chip shop jumped into my path instead – oops, secret binge is out, took the batter off honest and only ate 10 chips. Dogs ate the rest.

LUVTCOOK – have you tried kettle bell ?

Has anyone tried Kelp tablets, they were recommended on detox but apparently they are effective fat burners too. May try them next week! What have I go to lose! Oh yeah that’s right, 5 bloody stone( 70 lbs) 30 ish kilos( guess).

Carry on drinking !

Good afternoon LOACA,
    Goodness there lots of interesting and various topic on here! šŸ™‚

Thank so many people for their kind messages. I know I will have missed some in this message. But do accept my thanks. Realy, really helped. xx

Been to the gym today, just an easy session but it was good to be back there and doing gentle crunches without pulling my tube out! I’m feeling better and more cheerful though still walking like a cowboy after a very long day on a horse!
    Suspect that is just soreness from the catheter. Bit eye-watering though. My next appointments to start round two are next Friday.
    I’d promised myself a new television if I survived the first operation. My old one is 14+ and on the blink. Now I have to survive a second operation before I get my television! Still, you have to have something to look forward to don’t you! I’d always been a bit snobbish about big televisions – but then I say one and am smitten! So may get one a meter corner to corner – or maybe that no longer counts as big? Tech things move so fast.

@preciousbooboo Big hug to you. I’m heavily on the RR mist and drops and cream. I’ve always put a lot of faith in it – there was a programme on a few weeks ago that said about placebos that it’s recently been found that even if you know in advance something is a placebo – it still works! How amazing is the human mind. I don’t mean RR is a placebo – just the unrealistic amount of faith I put into – that and homeopathic arnica too.

I’m admin on a dog board and we also see that people join then post just once. There can be so many reasons, time available is probably the main one, then maybe just reading as recreation. It surprises me that many who join are also members of up to 40+ groups!
    My admin board is very busy and keeps me occupied when I am on the PC so I find I just relax and read on many boards and just very occasionally post. I joined a kidney stone board – but left it soon after because most were posting because they had very difficult experiences. Few people just post and say they had no problems! But it does often sound as if the people chatting all know each other and that can be off-putting to new people.

Happily my lovely dog seems to have forgiven me for leaving her for one night now. At last!

@jojo58 Thank you for the offer of the loan of the lobster which sings Elvis songs!!! However I think I’ll stick to the little frog. Also very irritating – but possibly less so!
    (That is I think the weirdest sentences I have ever, ever written!)

We have about the same amount to lose I think. To be honest I’d still not be thin then, but at least normal fat – just rather plump, not special sizes overweight lol!

@yipyop yes, the difference in how you can recover when you are LOACA (55 in my case) and 20 years ago is amazing. Don’t they say youth is wasted on the young?

@jeandee, @luvtcook thank you for your good wishes. I live in the middle of the tulip growing area and tomorrow is a Dutch National Holiday called King’s Day – lots of parties and everyone wearing orange and the tulip fields will be teeming with tourists.. I love the way the Dutch can do this without a hint of the nastier side of nationalism. Celebrating their society and history without putting anyone else down.

@piper Hi wave šŸ™‚

@hermajtomomi this is for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35Zhdk2V4U

It’s Friday so that’s great! šŸ™‚

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

Hello and Welcome to pamie, Anto58, and Patchstar: Iā€˜m sure you are all going to fit in nicely and clearly some of you already have, which is great.

Well, yesterday was day 2 of my B2B fast and I am really paying for it today. On a positive note; I did lose just under Ā½lb and that is really good in terms of my really slow weight loss because I had already lost a little last week already. But on a big negative note; today I am absolutely bone-weary and feel really down.
    This could be absolute coincidence and have nothing to do with the B2B fast but I do think it is related. I have only done one once before, out of necessity but I donā€˜t remember feeling like this the day after the second day.
    I think it is because I havenā€™t had enough food literally to give me any energy whatsoever. I hardly have any to start with in the first place but this is on another level altogether. I got up this am and shortly after went back to bed; I was just so utterly weary.
    I still suffer from a form of PMS/menopause (?) where 2-3 weeks out of every month are harder than the other 1-2 even though my menopause is technically over. So it could be that this is one of those weeks and so it has had a greater affect on me than it might in another ā€™betterā€™ week.

Weā€™ll see; I might try again next week and see if I get the same affect and if I do, I just wonā€™t do this again. It is really not worth feeling this down and depleted.
    This is akin to what I meant when I started the ā€˜In the weight loss scales-all menopausal women are not equalā€™ā€¦thread.

Anyways, it does sound as if B2B has had a good affect on many of you and I am sincerely pleased for you. My weight loss has been extremely slow and torturous but I am still hugely grateful I have lost any weight at all and have at least stopped the uphill trend.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned the midge problem and suggested solutions. I love the ā€˜no-seeumsā€™ name LUVTCOOK; that name does what is says on the tin.

Onwards and Downwards Ladies!

Hi jojo – I do accept your apology of course and I donā€™t want to fall out either with anyone on this thread but can I just ask that you take a bit more time and care reading comments properly before you jump in with your size ten feet?
    I didnā€™t think for a minute that you were ā€˜getting at meā€™; what I took real exception to is applying something I said ABOUT ME AND ME ONLY to yourself and then everybody else.
    Itā€™s not all about you jojo.

My comment was flippant and off the cuff, though very true in my case but I can surely make any comment I like about myselfā€¦.
    Something I am guilty of too is forgetting that lots of people on this forum read other threads/posts they donā€™t post on; so lots of people could have gained the same impression that some on this thread did, that I do feel that all ā€˜fat – no curvy – people are not positiveā€¦.ā€˜
    Some could then go on, as people do, to interpret that as all the other negative traits that can be levelled at people with a weight problem i.e lazy, greedy, slobbish, donā€™t help themselves, itā€™s all their own fault etc. There are shed loads of people on this forum with a weight problem; do you get my drift?
    Iā€™ve had a life long weight problem jojo; so nothing could be further from the truth.

And “ribbit, ribbit” to you too, Speedy! Thank you. I’m sitting here with an ear-to-ear grin, thinking it’s about time I and OH had a ceremonial viewing of Blazing Saddles, which we do a least once a year. While, understandably, some of our younger friends might think the movie is appallingly tasteless, puerile and politically incorrect, I’d bet money that many of us who were around in the 70s are fans and each have a favourite bit. This very scene is one of mine, along with the “work song” sung in close harmony by the guys working on the railroad, and the bean feast round the campfire – see what I mean? Puerile and tasteless but hilarious.

Precious Boo Boo, two things. Firstly, my “handle”. In fact I told part of the story on this very thread this week, but at the risk of being boring, I’m happy to recap.

Some 20 years ago we were living in Switzerland where I made quite a decent living teaching English as a foreign language to children from Zurich’s large Japanese community. They were all lovely, but my absolute favourites were a very bright 12-year-old named Maiko who spoke almost faultless English with an “estuary” accent – her parents had sent her to the local primary school when dad was transferred to London – and the most adorable 6-year-old, whose name was Tomomi.

On our return to London we acquired twin female kittens which we named Maiko and Tomomi. Maiko was a lovable, gentle soul – nice but dim. Tomomi had attitude, she was mad, bad and dangerous to know. In her old age – she lived to see her 21st birthday – she calmed down consideraby and would sit around the place looking queenly and wise – hence “hermaj”. As a lady of mature years with an extremely bad attitude, I identify strongly with the much-missed old moggy.

Secondly, thanks for your understanding of my two lapses involving hot cross buns and choccies. I confess I was a bit miffed by another poster who took me seriously to task over it – or at least, appeared to.

Sure, I blew it! As one does. I paid dearly, though, The latter misdemeanour occurred on Sunday, and only today have I felt completely well. You see, I’m lactose intolerant, so I have to be a bit careful about my dairy intake. These were MILK chocolates, for heaven’s sake, which I don’t even like! Indeed, I really don’t have a sweet tooth. Any pigging out tends to be of the savoury variety. As a result of getting on for 15 months of 5:2-style healthy eating the old bod tends to protest even more when I step out of line.

One good thing, though. I had what amounted to 4 fast days this week and the scales are continuing to creep, as you would say, onwards and downwards. All the more gratifying for one who got stuck on a 5-month-long plateau.

Speedy, I’m not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree and I’ve only just realised you live in Holland. Great country, great people. We were in Amsterdam last summer – for me it was about the 10th time. I shall always be happy to go back any time, for the city, the art and architecture, the food, the people – and the Poezenboot, the floating cat sanctuary on Singel. I’ve also visited Delft, The Hague and Alkmaar, but only briefly.

šŸ™‚
    Well I try to be a little bit obscure on t’internet – I always think of you as Her Maj! Holland is very nice indeed.

It’s one of my ambitions to teach English – but most Dutch people already speak it better than I do! Plus my LOACA memory makes cramming the technical side of the grammar a bit frustrating. šŸ™‚

A hearty Friday hello all. Finding my way to the gym again tonight. I trust increasing my workouts will result in a boost while continuing healthy eating and fasting. I’m counting on it as I have 35 pounds to lose [2.5 stones.] Getting ready to check out at work. I read an interesting post on ketosis, regarding efficient fat burning. You may want to look this recent post up.

Waving to all with a special message to Speedy. Have a joyful King’s Day celebration this weekend. May the weather cooperate. I agree with your words. I appreciate the way the Dutch, and many countries in your regional area, have a balance of humility and pride. My beloved, but younger, country could learn from this Dutch example.

LuvTcook — Kudos on your continued weight loss. You are doing something right! Keep sharing.

Blessings and good weekend to all. Jean

@hermajtomomi I think the Poezenboot has its own Twitter page!

@jeandee Ketosis was the basis of the Atkins diet I think? I also find I can lose best with restricted carbs.

And that reminds me. I have to start 5:2 again now. Did well last year then with winter blues etc I stopped and put back 8 kilos.
    In fact I have became rather frightened of fasting and that’s just not logical. It’s just I was diagnsed with this kidney stone (my own fault for not drinking enough when fasting I think) and also a gallbladder full of stones – that I might have had for years anyway for all I know. But when you start getting tested all manner of previously unknown things suddenly come to light. šŸ™
    Of course several people who are not 5:2ers thought my sudden health issues were due to 5:2. That did have an influence on me I do admit. Not sure if they would have assumed the same if it was WW.

I know the best thing I can do is lose some more weight – note to self: WHILE DRINKING LOTS OF WATER!!!)
    So going to start again today. Just a gentle eat less and no unhealthy food!

Oddly when I was in hospital last week, in the two days I was there I had 3 slices of brown bread and two tiny slivers of cheese.
    And felt good on it !!!!
    So what did I do when I got home very stressed? Ate too much! And you know being overweight is the main reason why I am so frightened of the operation because my huge bmi is the risk I have.
    Totally illogical! But, a week on, and chatting to you peeps who have kindly let me ramble on about fears and internal dialogue, I think I’m ready to get back onto the 5:2 bandwagon. šŸ™‚
    Last time I did it a bit extreme. But was losing a kilo a week. Always low carb then ate nothing for 36 hours on Fast days. It felt great but I wonder if that may have added to my stoney problem? Actually almost certainly not – it’s the water stupid! (I am referring to myself of course!)
    But when two things happen at once and it human to assume some sort of causation I think.

Have a good day 5:2ers šŸ™‚ xx

Hello all,
    Time to check in.
    Lost 1/4 lb this week, I haven’t had the best week.
    But the goods news is another 1 inch off my hips, may get into those white leggings this summer yet!
    So total 20 3/4 lbs in 16 weeks. Inches lost 4 off waist, 5 off hips, none off my considerable bust sadly.
    Exercise – daily 45 min dog walk. Three times per week 20 mins kettle ell – great for upper arm flab, weekly badminton – social not serious, yoga twice per week, ballroom fitness 1 hour weekly. Aerobic gym machines 1 hour three times per week. New activity bowling – planing to build this up to three times per week after retirement. Seems a lot but it’s all low key – haven’t really started ‘hit’ yet, not sure I will, it might be out of my comfort zone.
    Most successful strategy – reducing carbs to a minimal level, chatting to friends on this thread.
    Most unsuccessful – gym circuits – dull

I will check in to see how you all get on but I plan on starting my own thread so I will not be posting on here in future. I want to persue a weekly goal of 2 lb per week and discover what it takes to acheive this in a healthy way and feel that this is not the right place for me anymore. Goodbye and Good luck all, it’s been great chatting with you all.

JoJo: so sorry you have decided to leave. You will be missed. Let us know where you will be in future so we can pop in and say hi now and then. I think your goal of a keener focus of what is and is not working will be a nice addition to the forums.

Speedy: sounds like you are feeling a bit more like YOU these days…..good for you. Sorry you are facing another proceedure but know you know what it is about and it will be less anxiety ridden for you with any luck.

Piper & Hermaj: congrats on the weight loss! This sounds like it has been a pretty good week all around, easier for some than others.

PBB: sorry for you that this has been such a tough week energy wise. Your exhaustion sounds like me before they finally figured out I was low thyroid (took years until one doc finally ran the more detailed thyroid tests). Even a pretty low dosage has made a huge difference in my energy level.

Hermaj: thanks for taking the time to explain the user name. I had a completely different storyline in my head about it (fashionista become mommi?). Ply24mp: how did you come up with that one if you don;t mind sharing? No need if you are a super hero by day and must maintain your cover for your “other life”.

Thanks to several of you recommending kettle bell. I have read good things about it and it sounds like something I should try. I have a full set of weights gathering dust in the corner. They are rather boring….the kettle bell sounds like a lot more fun….more dynamic than traditional weight lifting (yawn). What weight kettle bell do you all find is best? I assume you start low and build up to higher weights? Or can you stick with a given weight bell longer and just add more challenging routines?

If I have missed anybody sorry….will catch up on next post. Breakfast awaits.

@luvtcook, thank you, xx

@jojo58 That sounds an interesting thread. After decades of bad advice, to really refine down the weightloss side of 5:2. I found I could lose a kilo a week – but maybe it was because I have a Lot to lose! Take care. xx

Hi Speedy, thought I’d better confess that despite the handle of”hermaj” I’m actually a bit of a closet republican. Not that I don’t admire Her Indoors at Buck House, who does a grand job all things considered. We should all be so lucky as to be leaping around as she does at 88. An excellent role model, apart from the hairdo. A decent cut would knock years off the dear lady.

LUVTCOOK, I’m intrigued by your interpretation of my user name.

Fashionista, hardly. At 5’1″ and, shall we say, “bonny” being a dedicated follower of fashion might lead to tears, but I do like clothes and try to look reasonably stylish. I definitely don’t do frumpy.

Mommi, not really. I’m a non-mommi completely by choice. I thought, and still think, I would be a rubbish mum, but I’m a very good aunt and great-aunt.

I could possibly share your name, as I really do love to cook although I can’t do pastry. To be honest, because of the weight problem I’ve never really persevered for fear that if I cook it, I’ll eat it. Cooking for 5:2 has been an adventure in itself and great fun.

Lol @hermajtomomi šŸ™‚
    I used to be very republican when I was young. Now, though am still an old hippy (literally!) as so many politicians come and go and so many are terrible I suspect she is probably no worse than many a President! She probably does less harm and does a good wave!
    But I am feeling mellow on a sleepy Saturday night. Might feel differently tomorrow! šŸ˜‰

Speedy, I know what you mean about politicians. A lifelong lefty, I was delighted with the Labour victory of 1997, but I felt uneasy about Blair – there was a certain sliminess about him. “Wouldn’t trust him further than I could throw him,” I said. People accused me of cynicism. “Give the poor guy a chance,” they said. I did, but not for long. Can’t help feeling I was right all along.

Guess how I and Him Indoors spent this evening – that’s right, watching Blazing Saddles. It just gets funnier!

oh Amsterdam–yes what a beautiful place. I was there over christmas a few winters ago–it was magic, found the locals to be welcoming and ohhhh those yummy food carts down by the canal. Couldnt get enough of the museums and galleries.

all your stories of ups and downs are so encouraging–have just put on 3kgs and no idea why–have even started walking 40 minutes a day–maybe its the muscle I have build up over these 9 days !! call me super woman. Anyways we can all just keep working at it.

and last week I developed tinitus–trying to be positive about it and the upside is that I am more active than ever–trying to distract my brain–hence my walking regime, the garden is immaculate and since vacuuming gives me some relief you can now eat off my floors–mmm what is the next job to do. And I read that rather weighty book the Luminaries. Think I will go get Blazing Saddlers out of the local DVD store.

@hermajtomomi I knew you would! Great šŸ™‚ x

@double happy , Amsterdam is such a friendly city. Small but big enough. I live nearby but don’t go there often enough! Isn’t it always the way? x

Good morning everyone!

Luvtocook- I use a 10 lb. kettlebell, but it’s not based on any real knowledge of what I should be lifting. I got it at a secondhand sports store for like $10. I had to work my way up to that without damaging joints. šŸ™‚ So I started slow and didn’t try to do too much and could still feel it in the arm joints. I also do the exercises where I feel in control. Don’t knock your head off!

Speedy (and hermaj)- I bet Denmark is beautiful this time of year, with all the flowers. I read with interest, that you are both Republicans, which I take is your left wing party? In the states Republicans are the more right wingers but they didn’t start out that way. Years ago, they were also the lefties. Funny how things change. I am also more of a leftie- big
    surprise!

Boo- I think whoever mentioned thyroid issues might have it right. Is there such a thing as a reverse T3? Only from what I hear, thyroid issues sound like they can be tricky to diagnose and can be missed. Whoever mentioned kelp tablets reminded me that I have some on a shelf somewhere and need to dig ’em out.

Jojo- I wish you well! Two lbs. a week is way outta my ballpark, but if you can do it hurrah! Go for it.

I’m giving myself permission to go a little slower and learn to maintain as I go. By the time I reach goal weight, I just want what I’m doing to be natural to the size I’d like to be.

Happy Sunday all!

Hi piper,

I agree, the word “republican” is confusing. The way I – and I suspect Speedy – was using it in yesterday’s post was to indicate a preference for the UK having an elected president rather than a monarch who rules by divine right. During the Spanish Civil War, the Republicans were men and women of the left. In fact they were in goverment when the war began following a right-wing Nationalist (for which read Fascist) coup let by Franco who went on to rule for well over 30 years, but sadly were more involved with quarrelling among themselves – they embraced many different left wing groups with varying agendas.

I also lean leftwards. Our party of the left is Labour, currently in opposition. Under the dubious leadership of one Tony Blair, they moved further and further to the right. In a word, Labour ain’t what it used to be. Until I see which way they are going I can see myself marking “none of the above” on my ballot paper at the next general election.

The only bit of Denmark I know is Copenhagen, which I liked very much.

Yes, I meant republical in that general way. Though the state speople I trust – you can count on one hand. Though I have a soft spot for Bishop Desmond Tutu. Well I have many soft spots – in fact many large squidgy areas really lol!

I’ve also been to Copenhagen just the once. Also liked it. I live close the Dutch National Tulip gardens so there are many many tourists about her at the moment.

Love the side topics that come up in this thread. šŸ˜‰

Iā€™m brand new to this page and The Fast Diet. I have completed one week (lost 4 lbs). Iā€™ve tried just about every diet imaginable. Iā€™m hoping this is the last one I ever have to try! I would like to lose 87 lbs., so I know it will take a couple years. Iā€™m happy to have found this website and look forward to both encouraging others and being encouraged.

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age

Hi Ladies – I don’t look at this forum or thread unless I actually have time to post; so I’ve just read about jojo’s decision to stop posting on this thread. I actually don’t have the energy today to make any response to that except to say that I’m disappointed in her decision but her new thread is already going well for her and I wish her well.

Hello and Welcome to LorilnCT – We are all pretty much in the same boat LorilnCT; so you should find some good advice and support here.

I also don’t have the energy to go back and read all your posts and engage with them as I normally like to do; sorry to be such a big wet blanket but I still haven’t recovered from doing that back to back fast last week.
    I did say when I posted on Friday gone that I might have another go this coming week; well definitely not. As I say, I am still recovering from being totally depleted in any energy at all on Friday. Even if I was to have a big loss (for me) of say, 2lbs that week, I still wouldn’t try this again because it is not worth it to have to feel so very bad after.
    This is exactly what I mean when I say even though we are technically all ‘around’ the same stages of life; our hormones and how depleted/scrambled they are and our health in general, is most definitely not the same.

Therefore lots of you can do the back to back fast and not have any negative affects and then I do it and I am still feeling the affects three days later. Applecrisp would have known/understood and have a really good idea just how totally lacking in energy I felt/feel. That is one of the reasons I had a lot of empathy for her and her predicament; because I knew just how awful you can feel with this kind of condition. It has actually brought back memories of how dreadful it was until I got some private medical help with my adrenal glands.

Hi piper – I’ve said loads about my thyroid on here (which I wouldn’t expect you to remember obviously) but I have always felt it was underactive (but not treated) and I have adrenal insuffiency to boot. Which will be why my reaction to the B2B fast has been so extreme.

I will repeat again though; that I am truly grateful that I have been able to lose any weight at all on the 5:2 diet and so just doing my two fasts on non-consectutive days will be no hardship to me.
    Well apart from the chronic insomnia it exacerbates!:)

Hope you all have a good week Ladies; weight loss wise
    Onwards and Downwards

Without wanting to get sidetracked into politics, which would be dangerous territory, I find it interesting that those of you who have disclosed preferences tend to lean leftwards (as do I). I’m wondering whether this corresponds to the idea that improvement is possible, ie, we believe that there is a strategy that will result in us losing weight in the same way that left leaning governments believe that state intervention can improve the world. I have a whole shelf of self improvement books covering things like fitness, time management, meditation, fixing my feet, etc, etc. if you ascribe to the view of “the rich man in his castle, the poor man iat his gate” then maybe you will take a more fatalistic attitude. Are others into self improvement more generally?

Anyway, please understand that this is not intended in any way to be an attack on those who lean rightward – given the level of corruption that has been revealed in governments all over the world, I can appreciate why some people are sceptical of the ability of governments to solve problems.

Hi everybody! IĀ“m new here, I have been reading for 2 or 3 weeks because I moved last Friday, and I wanted to settle down before starting, but now no more excuses, I will fast tomorrow, wish me good luck šŸ™‚ and good luck for all of you fasting tomorow too.

Best of luck, Ana! You can make it happen!

Hi Anto-

I think a lot of people are into self improvement, no matter which way they lean, politically. I have my own shelf full of self help books, too. This site, alone, gives proof to that. I’d like to have the one on fixing my feet!

Hi Ana- also wishing you the best. šŸ™‚

Boo- I didn’t forget, just agreed. Do not do anything that causes this much sapping of your energy. We like having you around.

Anto58: I think that government trying to make changes to their society is different that individuals accepting responsibility for making his/her own improvements. Changes coming from the grass roots are more effective than the government dictating to all what should be done.

Politically, I am right leaning and always looking for ways to improve myself. This is why I use this forum — looking for ideas that work for others and offering what works for me.

Also hello, Loriln- didn’t mean to ignore you! Welcome and wishing you well also!

Left and right is interesting indeed. But it’s very subjective and not a precise spectrum ! I’ve know people who describe themselves as one or the other and I think ‘are you really?!’ It’s all relative I think!

PBB, are you feeling any better? I hope the weekend has helped a bit. My mother had an over active thyroid / Graves and it effected her in the most various ways so I know very well how an off kilter thyroid can have many physical and psychological affects.

Piper, like you, the foot book intrigued me! Anto58 I saw you are a runner so that possibly explains your feet self health book! šŸ˜‰

Best wishes this Monday.

Hi PreciousBooBoo, you are so good at acknowledging posters, I’m sure we can all forgive you when you’re not feeling on top form and so don’t have the energy to read back through everything. It sounds like the B2B has really thrown your body a curve ball. I hope you’re feeling a little better today. I’ve never tried B2B, partly because the ‘Fast Diet bible’ says you shouldn’t although I can’t remember the reasons why, but mostly because I struggle with the one day fast more often than not and don’t think I could do two days B2B.

I’m really pleased to read that you hung on to your 2lb loss from the other week and have added a little more to it. I put on a couple of lbs whilst we were away, and then had a couple of bad weeks, followed the enormous Easter egg so I’ve only got myself to blame (and my husband for buying the egg)! The good news is I lost .2 of lb last week so I’m heading in the right direction again. I’m fasting today and as usual I’m feeling cold, have a headache and am struggling to concentrate.

I’m in awe of the LOACA’s who exercise on their fast days. I don’t have the energy to do anything when I’m fasting. I’ve been doing the FD for just over a year now. My first anniversary was 24 April. Like PreciousBooBoo, it’s been a very rocky rock. Sometimes this is my own fault through over indulgence, but mostly I’ve stuck to 2 days a week, sensible eating on the other days and regular exercise. I long for the time when I will be on the maintenance FD and only have to do one day a week. I’ve started trying some of the HIT exercises recently. Has anyone else tried them on a regular basis, and what sort of results did you get?

I’m sorry that jojo58 has left the thread, although I see her other thread is doing well. I enjoyed her posts.

Good wishes to all LOACA’s on this thread, and Keeeeeep Fasting!

The LOACA Lurker :o)

I’m 60 and have been on the diet for 15 months. My weight loss is 2 stones and although it hasn’t moved below that for ages, it has not crept up either, except at weekends. I found that some changes had to be permanent. For example I don’t eat breakfast any day as I don’t feel the need for it so effectively I eat only twice a day. I scarcely eat bread any more and only have potatoes once a week. From Monday to Friday evening I eat significantly less than I used to before starting the diet, even on the non fast days. I inevitably put on weight at weekends when I do eat more and drink wine, but lose it again during the week. I suppose if I exercised more control over the weekend I would continue to lose weight rather than gaining then losing those 3 lbs.

How is everyone doing this week? Do we have anyone to tell us about their weight loss lately? To give some of us some much needed encouragement….

Hello and a warm welcome to Anto58, ana1965 and rainy volcanp.

For those who asked how I am doing after ā€˜my curve ballā€™; I am a little better today thank you. However tomorrow is my usual fast day and for the first time ever since starting way back in June last year; I am not going to fast (Iā€˜m not including holidays or Xmas obviously here).
    I am still not back to my usual (which isnā€™t great anyway but far better than I have been feeling since last weeks B2B fast) so I just feel that to fast as soon as tomorrow would not be a sensible thing to do to my body.
    I will see how itā€™s going by Thursday (my next fast day ordinarily) and if Iā€™m still not right; I will not fast again this week. A week off wonā€™t harm me, I think; I wonā€™t go mad as if itā€™s a holiday or anything. And hopefully by next week, I might be feeling as I did before my aberration.

Hi rainy volcanp (did you mean to put volcano?) – I love hearing from LOACAā€™s like you who have been on the FD for a good long stretch. The plateau you have reached sounds perfect to me and I suspect that Lulu01 might be a little envious too.
    Have you had any blood tests/results which illustrate any marked health improvements? I sometimes think we forget about that very important aspect of the FD.

Hi ana195 – Good Luck for tomorrow and jump right in.

Hi Anto58 – I have a shelf full of self help books; my ā€™bestā€™ one was the one on Procrastination which took me months to even open!

Hi piper – You are always kind piper and it is always appreciated xx
    Re-not forgetting. I just meant that we give so much information about each other on here; that I wouldnā€™t expect you to remember specific health details about me.

Hi Lulu01 – Thank you too for your kind message. I am so pleased that you have had a reduction in weight Lulu; itā€™s just what you need to get you back in the right frame of mind.
    What HIIT exercises have you been trying? How is that going? I think with the weather improving eventually, it seems many more LOACAā€™s are looking at exercising more now.
    Upping the anti; so to speak.

Hi Speedy – I am glad to hear that you seem to be on the mend after your operation and going to the gym with a catheter in? Be careful though; donā€™t knock yourself up in your rush to start losing weight again.
    I see folks have been discussing beautiful Holland with you. I bet it is glorious now that the tulips are out; I adore spring bulbs/flowers.

Onwards and Downwards Ladies!

Checking in on a Monday afternoon. Celebrating your small victories. You encourage me. Take care and let’s keep moving!

LOl PBB! I’m doing what I call gentle gym! So I keep up at least with the habit of going and not to go completely backwards but going gently:) But I notice I’m not the full ticket. The urologist said just do everything as normal, also the gym. THe tube is between my kidney and bladder so doesn’t stick out anywhere unsightly! šŸ˜‰
    I’m having a bit of a chill-out hiatus before I start to get nervous again before the next op! Well, you got to do something eh. xx

Piper: thanks for you reply on the kettlebell. Have checked out some available from Amazon. Plan to check my local sports stores this weekend and see how their prices compare for comparable sizes. There is a highly recommended video called Kettlebell Boomers for LOACAs so we don’t tear an arm off or have a spinal fracture with the thing. Glad to hear someone (actual a few ladies on this thread) recommend it. It certainly sounds more fun that lifting standard weights and more bang for the amount of time invested in multiple muscle groups.

Ten pounds looks like a very doable place to start.

Hi everyone

Kettlebell discussion very interesting – I only use them at the gym for squats (won’t tell how heavy because that would be blowing my own trumpet!)

Easter and ANZAC Day (my birthday) have come and gone with only a kg gained – miraculous really considering what I ate on my non-fast days.

One fast day later and 1.4kg lighter than yesterday morning! I don’t usually weigh more than weekly but was curious. Have resolved to try to keep well under my TDEE on the other days so see if I can reinvigorate my self-control, which has gone missing, along with another year. Someone called the TDEE ‘tweedle-dee’ – love it!

Best wishes everyone. I love reading all your posts, even though I don’t always find time to contribute.

Hello everyone, and especially PreciousBooBoo.

It has been ages since my last post, and I won’t be posting very often, but just wanted to let PBB know that all is well with me. šŸ™‚

I can see that this thread continues to be very active – I have only had a quick glance but see lots of the familiar names, lots of new ones as well, which is great. My very best wishes to you all as you continue your journey on this WOL.

As for me, I am still maintaining. Had a bit of a glitch over Easter, but a couple of fasts are getting me back to goal. šŸ™‚ My aim is to be able to maintain just using 6:1 – which means I have to get my evening indulgences under control… Important for many reasons.

Happy fasting!

Cheers

Sassy šŸ˜€

Hi I’m a newby. I really need to lose about 21 lbs. I used this diet in 2012 and did have some success in losing weight but as Christmas came I found it impossible to continue. So I gave up with all intentions to pick up where I left off but haven’t been able to get past two days on it.
    I feel having others of similar age to share with might be a help to me. I don’t do much exercise other than walking because of having arthritis. Unfortunately I can’t swim because of fear of water since having a bad experience as a child.
    I’ve enjoyed reading your encouraging discussions.

Nicky-

You show off!!! šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€

Hi Gemma

This is my first ever post. Your comment struck a chord with me.
    I’ve been feeling a bit down after an Easter blowout,a food-filled trip away and now I have a nasty change-of-season cold. For the first time since I started in Nov I’ve had to make myself get back on track. I told myself “Just do one day, see how it goes.” I’ve just completed that day and feel so much better it has encouraged me to do a second day on Thursday.
    Would you consider doing just one day a week to get yourself restarted?
    And walking is my only formal exercise too.
    I’d be really interested to follow your progress.

Hello and a warm welcome to Gemma and Lynne1146.

Hi Gemma – If you keep posting on here; you will definitely get some advice, motivation and support.

Hi Lynne1146 – I hope you donā€™t mind me answering your question to Gemma; I would definitely recommend you doing one day a week until you get your mojo back. And yet youā€™ve done one day this week and you are already talking about another!

Hi NickyF – Well done on the 1.4kg loss – Well done on losing the birthday splurge weight so quickly. Well worth the blow out!

Hi LUVTCOOK – What medication did your doctor put you on for your underactive thyroid? And what showed up in your tests? In this country or at least at my last doctorā€™s surgery; they would only test you for TSH which is leaving out the important T3 and T4 levels.

Hi double happy – The 3kg couldnā€™t possibly be fat; so it must be water retention surely?

Hi Sassy! Itā€™s a very long time; no speak! How are you doing?

This is weird really because I always think of you when I see the SH thread on the recent posts list but only the other day; I decided to check your response ā€˜recordā€™ to see if you had been on there lately. You had you monkey but not often and lo and behold you suddenly post on here!

How are you spending your time? I know you were looking for something other than just being a lady of leisure (though I think you should just sit back and enjoy it).
    Well Iā€™ve been on this WOE for ten months now and Iā€™ve managed to lose 1st 5lbs (it feels like itā€™s been 15st 5lbs!).

My weight in stones now starts with a 10! on the scales so that was a big deal for me; havenā€™t seen that number on the scales for a decade or more. It has not been an easy ride but I just plod on. I knocked myself for six last week by doing a back to back fast (two consecutive days) which my body really didnā€™t like so I wonā€™t be subjecting myself to that again.

Can you give us a bit more information about your efforts to maintain? That is what LOACAā€™s are always interested in.
    I know you are saying you wonā€™t post often but it would be nice if you dropped in a bit more to let me know what and how you are doing.

Take care anyways Sassy
    BooBoo xx

Anyways Ladies – must go and put dinner out.
    Onwards and Downwards!

Thanks for your response Lynne! I had made a decision to make another attempt at this so yesterday was my first day…then I decided to register on here so I had some support from those who understand.

I share the problem with some others on this site. If I eat breakfast I feel hungry at lunch time then hunger gnaws away at me for the rest of the day.
    So I have put food on hold til my evening meal. I coped very well with it yesterday so have done the same today.
    I did do 5-2 when I did it last time but I seemed more in control then. I’m drinking coffee with skimmed milk and black tea plus infusions.

Fortunately for me I don’t suffer with hunger if I drink. My evening meal possibly tops 500 cals but if I do this every day my calorie intake will be kept low I believe.
    Forgot to say, I’m a chocoholic too so have to keep off it totally…now.

How are you doing it? Are you managing okay?

PBB: re thyroid, am on Synthroid (Levothyroxine Sodium) 50mcg per day (quite low). Original TSH looked within normal range for years but had bad spells of exhaustion, and constantly ran temps a full 1 1/2 degrees below nomal. They finally ran the T3 and T4 panel last year and found I was low there. Started on just 25 mcg for about a year which helped a lot and did a repeat of the T3 and T4 several months ago and found those still low. So recently doubled up to 50 mcg. HUGE change in my energy level. Now feel normal again. Before, just walking the garbage down the hall to the drop bin seemed too much to handle. So grateful they finally bothered to delve a bit deeper.

My MD said that often times doctors won’t even bother with replacement therapy with doses this low, but it has made a world of differece to me. Hope you find someone who will listen and try to find a solution for you.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.