Help

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  maggieS 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hi I would like to lose about a stone and a half before Christmas if at all possible, I go to 2/3 classes a week at present and I was wondering how many calories I should be eating on the non-fasting days.

Thank you – Any help greatly appreciated.

Rachel

Welcome to the forum kiaboxer, click on the “how?” link on the top right side of the home page. It will help you calculate your daily TDEE, ie the recommended daily calorie intake for you. Work from there and also browse the posts.
    Good luck.

Thank you however still confused. My TDEE is 1988 so if I want to lose weight how many calories under this do I need?

no more than 1988 on non-fast days and 25% of that for fast days, so 500 cals twice a week. Total cals per week 10,940. Hope this helps.

kiaboxer, good luck with your plan but do bear in mind that you may not see quick weight loss on this lifestyle (it’s a fastING diet not an actual fast diet). Some people do (I did lose about 1.5 stone in my first 3 months but I think I probably started out a LOT bigger than you by the looks of your TDEE and after that 3 months my weight loss has gradually reduced to a fraction of what it was) but some really don’t and start off losing inches rather than actual weight (some people even put a little bit on as their fat converts to muscle).

Your progress may not show up best on the scales so don’t rely on them and don’t let them put you off. Take your starting measurements and settle in for the long haul rather than trying for a goal that may not be achievable and feeling like you’ve somehow failed if you don’t make it.

I do hope you’re one of the lucky ones but please don’t expect miracles.

I’ve been thinking these last 14 weeks on the fast diet that one benefit of the plan is that my weekly average calorie intake has dropped. I’m averaging about 1450-1500 cals a day/week, taking in 650 on fast days and around 1900 on non-fast days. Is my thinking correct that it’s more important to average around 1400/1500 cals a week?
    Thanks!

Hi Maggie, one of the many reasons why this eating plan works is that the average number of calories per week is lower than what we were eating previously. But I am not quite sure when you say ‘more important’, what you mean it is more important than?’
    ‘Typical’ diets rely on reducing calories every day by restricting certain foods – many of us find this hard to stick with in the longer term, but probably admire those who can.
    I think the thing that most find better about the 5:2 (and its variations) is that there are only 2 days in the week when you need to be very careful about what and how much you eat; the other days you can just eat what someone of your size, age, sex and activity level would eat to maintain current weight. Of course, many 5:2ers find that the motivation they get from the fast days and weight/inches lost is that they also improve their eating on non-fast days. (Some of us lapse from time to time and can over-indulge after a fast, but based on the forum comments, most are able to get back on track again.)
    The 5:2 regime has the additional benefit of fasting; tho fasting periods can be incorporated into other eating regimes, I understand there is evidence that a very low calorie intake on a couple of days a week has other metabolic and health benefits. Others who respond on this forum are more knowledgable than me on this.
    Not sure if this has helped your query at all!
    Good luck with continuing on the plan 🙂

Thanks for your reply. I agree about being motivated to eat less on the non-fast days. I’m shooting for limiting calorie intake to 1800 calories on those days, and to burning 400-500 cals. thru exercise on the non-fast days, and to burning 300 on the fast days (thru exercise, of course, and to also getting in 10,000 steps).
    I think I was wondering if others see the total weekly calorie intake being a major factor in success, and I’m not sure I put it very clearly. I think the fast days are crucial and I’m very glad that I found this way of eating. It seems more of a ‘marathon’ than a ‘sprint’ diet-wise, and something I will be able to do for a long time, not just for weight loss but for overall health.

Hi Maggie, sounds like you have a clear plan – good for you 🙂 and you’ll get fit too!
    Will be interesting to see what others think about the (reduced) total weekly calorie intake being a major factor for success. For me, it’s certainly a necessary factor, but I think it’s the way that 5:2 is relatively easy to stick to, or go back to if you have a lapse, that has been the major factor. I may still be missing the point you are making tho…
    Cheers 😀

I think I have also been wondering a smilar thing. Previously I had set my daily goal as 1200cal on myfitnesspal, and am keeping under that as a net result. According to the 5:2 I should eat around 2250 cal, which just seems such a lot of food! I had a day when I ate spoonfuls of Nutella on top of chocolate biscuits (I don’t recommend this!), chocolate filled kids’ cereal, lots of nuts, two pieces of pizza as well as the healthy food which I managed to stick to until the afternoon, and still it only came to 1800.
    I am hoping that the net weekly deficit is important to weight loss as am too scared to try upping my eating day allowance too much! Also though, I don’t know if it is detrimental to the 5:2 diet if I am also restricting calories on my eating days. I will see my results at the end of a week or two (I want to wait until two weeks, but am not sure I can!) and have a think about my strategy from there.
    Sorry I don’t think that was at all helpful, it was just me sharing what I have been wondering about :p

I lost 2.2 lbs this week, after having gained 1.7 last week, and the difference this week is that I’m drinking much more water. I’d read that for my height/weight/activity level I should be drinking 98 oz. of water a day, and while I’m not going to go straight to that much water over a day’s period, I did jump to about 50 oz., and I’ll increase it by half again next week, til I’m at the 98 oz. level (sorry I don’t remember the site, was it thefastdiet? where I ascertained the levels). So I’ve clearly been not drinking enough water, and I am hoping this change, along with continued diligence and being as meticulous as possible, will help me get to the eventual goal. I do see this as a lifestyle change, not just a diet, which is a better way for me to think of things. I’m in it for the long haul, just as I have been about exercies.
    I agree that the fast days are critical, and the overall net deficit is as well. I’m striving to have at least a 500 cal. deficit on the non-fast days.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.