Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 5 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,601 through 4,650 (of 28,011 total)

• Thanks, all, for the kind words. The good news is, the scales read exactly the same this morning, after a NFD. I got on a second time, to check.

The bad news is, only five hours’ sleep last night (trouble at each end), then a lovely morning tea put on for one of my workmates, who has been at the firm for 15 years. So bound to be scale-hike tomorrow.

* is this the star?

Nope, just an asterisk 🙁

Back again, have just had the grey taken out so feel less old!!! Bought the Slendier noodles on special at Woolies 2 for $6, also bought the Mountain bread, which I think that’s we call it here in NSW and my 5:2 book arrived. So productive morning. Lightheadedness has gone but I felt a bit nauseous as well. Hope I’m not coming down with something.

hi all

Cm thanks for asking after me. 1st fast day went really well didn’t feel too bad apart from a small spell of feeling nauseous.
    yesterday was ok – but I did blow it a little after dinner with munching. so I am going to try get back to my craft hobbies to keep me busy after dinner.
    today is a new day and I am going well and have almost finished my plan for tomorrows fast day!

work is often too busy for me to get much time to read and post so I apologise in advance I’ll be pretty quiet during the week but catch up on the weekends 🙂

have a great week southern hemespherites

Good for you Intesha, you’ve survived the anniversary, weigh less, look younger, found healthy products on sale and now you can settle down with some good reading material. Have a lovely day!

Well done to you too MAM, you’re on your way.

Intesha – Woohoo! You jumped straight over the 83’s and into the 82’s. Fabulous. Sorry you’re not feeling so great. I had same symptoms, but only at the very beginning for a couple of weeks. Have a look at this link below for “ketosis flu”, see if it matches your symptoms. If it does, they explain why as well. Take it easy today, eat well, don’t try & skimp too much on food – remember its a NFD for you. There are other threads on this topic, so do a search as well. Other long-term 5:2ers might also have some advice for you. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/do-you-have-the-ketosis-flu/
    Barata – I can’t function on so little sleep anymore. Even if I don’t drink, I still feel awful the next day. If I have to do it two nights running, oh boy. Best to stay far away from me, as I live up to an old nickname, Mrs Grumpy!
    Thin – Glad you liked that recipe website. Must take another look. Enjoy your walk.

Thinking that after a nice (small) steak, vegies & a glass of red (or 2) last night, I would be up this morning. I was dreading the scales. Jumped on & then off again very quickly. Surely not. Got back on – it was true, I’d dropped to 55.1 (last Fri 55.8). It even flicked to 54.9 for a sec! I’m sure that meal will register tomorrow, but it was hard to believe all the same after a zigzaging 3 weeks. I think being pretty good over the weekend (for a change) & having a good FD on Mon, this has really worked for me. So if you feel like your at a plateau, keep going. When it moves, it moves. Going to be a real goody-two-shoes for the rest of the week and see what happens. FD & flu shots for me today. Have a great day gang. CM xx

Getting ahead of yourself a bit there CM but even if you meant 65.1kgs, that is absolutely fabulous news! You’re a 5:2 star even if you’re not so good with numbers. Just having a josh my friend, I’m very happy for you!

Well done, CM. What’s your goal? Being good at the weekend certainly helps move the scales.

I’m not functioning, that’s why I am here 🙂 . Have a very complicated transaction to decipher, and I think it might be best left til I am fresh, tomorrow. Eyes are sore – in fact, time to go home!

B xx

Good afternoon everyone! I love catching up on all the posts, it’s like sitting down to a gossip magazine! FD for me today and I am feeling very hungry- it won’t go away like it usually does! But no headaches anymore so a win there.

Intesha, what a fantastic result! 82.7 already! Well done, you must be feeling fantastic at your new weight, new hair and for getting through a tough few days. Well done, doesn’t it spurr you on to keep going? I sometimes feel a bit queasy after a fast day and don’t have much of an appetite lots of water, fresh air and small meals. My husbands Nana has just been diagnosed with dementia too, awful disease and so upsetting for everyone involved. I do exercise a little, I do a 2km walk and a pilates class on Tuesdays, Wednesday morning I walk 3km to work before eating anything and sometimes I’ll get another walk in through the week too. How exciting to think your summer clothes may not fit you next summer!

CM- yay you’re going to be a grandma! english cocker spaniel’s are adorable. I bought the La Zuppa soups, about to try it now! How’d your mushroom soup turn out? well done on your new low weight!

Expat, let us know how you go with the spiralizer, I ant one!

Barata!! What a fantastic weight!! I so hope I get there soon, 58kg is below my goal weight but I’d be thrilled to get there!! Well done, you’ve earnt that wine and choccie and I hope things work out with your step grandson.

Whoops! Yes Thin definitely ahead of myself. Hadn’t had my coffee when I posted!! I meant 65.1 of course! x

A great achievement CM, bet you can’t wait for Friday’s weigh-in.
    MK88, I had a day like that on Sunday, just felt hungry all day. Hope the LaZuppa helped. That’s sad about your OH’s nan; grandparents are so special. Stories like that strengthen my resolve to keep fasting and doing whatever I can to stave off dementia.
    Barata, I had a good sleep last night due to OH taking possession of his new, improved anti-snoring mouth guard. It still required ear plugs but at least it wasn’t at the asthmatic walrus level.

I’m home early from work, snuck out and caught an earlier train.

It’s not OH’s snoring, Thin (mostly 🙂 ). I couldn’t get earplugs to work, but fortunately I can sleep through most of that. Goodness knows what the problem was last night, couldn’t get to sleep, woke up at about 4am, soooo sick of it.

Ah, the truth comes out, CM. You will get there. 🙂

Sorry to hear about your Nana-in-law, MK. A horrible thing for any family to deal with. Thanks for your kind words. Our son came home at the weekend with a box of feijoas from his parents-in-law, and with their trees this is likely to be the pattern until I shout STOP! Have taken some to work, and will be bottling the rest of this lot at the weekend.

B xx

Hi MAM – Sounds like you’re going well. Getting the munchies after dinner – I know it well! Craft is a good idea – I want to crochet one of those super-chunky throws for the bed. Must get to it.
    Barata – I’m going for 60kg with a 2kg “wriggle room” buffer. Yeah, not eating nuts & chips on w/end seems to have helped. Still learning as I go!
    MK88 – So sorry to hear about hubby’s Nan – just awful. Glad those headaches are history now. You sound like you’re going well – how’s OH going with 5:2? When does he start his new job? Yes, I’ll have to change my name to GrandmaJ…..Charlie is an “orange-roan” (like a speckled gold & white) & mum is black & white. Exciting to see what colours they create together. Let us know what you think of LaZuppa and the mushroom soup was yummy.
    Thin – Asthmatic Walrus!! LOL. OHs brother has one of those gas masks with an oxygen bottle he’s so bad.

Tonight I’ll try the Tom Yum with Slendier angel hair & add some prawns, chicken & sliced bok choy. Will let you know tomorrow if I had to tweak anything. CM xx

MK I have to agree this is far better than a soapy, not that I watch any. This is real people, real life, it’s wonderful. I knew there was something else I had to look out for and that was the soups, oh well next time. CM your sub-conscious mind is working overtime it has already registered what your goal weight will be. Thanks for the links, I’ll read up on them. Just been to the gym, me, myself and I fought all afternoon about going as I usually go mornings but the hairdresser changed the day, anyway I’m glad I went. Tomorrow is usually an FD for me but it is Dads birthday and my brother and new wife are coming over and we are going out for lunch with Mum, my daughter-in-law and two grandchildren. I’m thinking of ringing the ex and seeing if he wants to come with his Chinese wife!!!!!

Isn’t it funny how we have a love hate relationship with the scales.

CM look forward to hearing how your dinner went. Sounds very yummy x

Hi All. So, here’s my FD dinner review for one BIG serve. I used one sachet of the TomYum (28) & ½ packet of the Slendier stuff (8), cut into little bits with scissors. Then chicken thigh fillet in small dice (60g=70). I couldn’t get prawns, so chucked in some tofu I had (75g=50). Added some red capsicum (25g=10) & a large swiss brown mushroom, sliced up (5), ¼ zucchini in small dice, add some greens at the end to wilt – 30g garlic chives (10). Or, you could use 1 baby bok choy (10) or ½ cup choy sum (10) or sliced cos lettuce (3). Some fresh coriander on top (2) and your done. Verdict – Yes, this was really good. OH came sniffing around for some, so it must have smelled ok too…..& yes, I did share (little bit), and he said it was delicious. Now this makes a REALLY large quantity – I had two big bowls. Cals for everything above is around 183 based on numbers from MFP. The Tom Yum & noodle base (36) is the key & then you can add whatever you like or in your fridge. Vegies add up to next to nothing calorie-wise, so it’s just the protein to decide on. Fish, prawns, pork balls, squid, anything really…..or no protein all at and increase the vegies. I’ll certainly be doing it regularly. Maybe I’ll use more noodles next time too.
    Thin – I didn’t think I’d like them, but I found the Slendier really good. Thanks for the tip. Have a great evening everyone. CM xx

Whoops forgot to include zucchini cals – 8.

Sounds delish CM!
    Fast day 2 for me and feeling ready to tackle the day! Slow start to the morning, cup of peppermint tea had not to get the kidlets ready drop 2 at school and take mr1 to look at the high school we have picked for next year(eek where did my baby go) lunches all prepped . For me 2 eggs, salad and a cup a soup incase it’s needed. Dinner is a lovely hearty chicken veg soup with a tbsp barley.

Have a great day everyone!

All the best with your second FD MOM. Sounds like you’ve got it all planned well. Thanks for sharing the recipe CM. Intesha, enjoy your Dad’s birthday – did you switch your FD? Feeling better today Barata?

Love my scales this morning 64.6kgs which I haven’t seen for over 20 years, very happy about that. Will I sabotage it with free pizza at an event tonight or will I stay strong?

Hi All,

Well the zucchini vegetti surprised me. I used the tool and made the spirals and just blanched them in salty, boiling water. They are fantastic. They roll like spaghetti and with the sauce on them, the variation in taste and texture is minimal.

Really surprised me. Great and tasty alternative to carbs.

Best of all, husband loved it too.

CM…congratulations on the puppies. And to all, congratulations on staying on the journey and weight losses.

I am on a fast day today and I feel really meh. Think my hormones have something to do with it. I sort of feel pre-menstral in mood…really down. It’s funny how insignificant stuff seems so insurmountable on days like today. Trying to keep it all in perspective.

Anyway…tomorrow is another day. Got to keep smiling. Wish I could have a mental health day.

Big hugs to all.

Just popping back to let you know that this blog

https://richjohnson29.wordpress.com

is pretty good. It’s all about this guy’s 5:2 journey. I needed to read something like this today. Thought you may enjoy it too. XX

Expat – Oh boy, yet another gadget to add to my collection! Sounds great though. Sorry you’re not feeling so great today & hope you get better as the day goes on.
    MOM – All sounds good for you. Organised, meal plan done, and ready for your FD. That’s how to do it! Hope the high school is a perfect fit for your baby!
    Barata & Purple – How are you both feeling today?
    Intesha – Have a wonderful day with your dad & wish him a very happy birthday from us all. Isn’t it great how FDs can be moved around to suit us? Enjoy yourself, you deserve it. You must be feeling good today!
    Thin – What can we say – Woohoo girl! You must be thrilled to break through to another number. All those miles you burn up every week is working. That plateau is history too. So very happy for you. How much now….18kg or 19kg? Wow! Have your pizza & enjoy it. When weakening, I always think – which feels better & lasts longer….low scales or that extra slice of pizza/chips/nuts?

I’m out with the girls tonight, so I have the same dilemma…be good or be naughty?? Think I’ll be a good girl. Want to see some more results tomorrow….fingers crossed. Have a wonderful day everyone & for those who aren’t feeling great, take care of yourselves. CM xx

Thanks Expat – I’ve just read through the first couple of weeks. Its really good. xx

Hi all, happily back at work today – happily, because I usually don’t work Fridays so this is the last day of my week. And the sun is shining!

And it sounds like step-grandson might have been found a job on a dairy farm in the South Island. That was the alternative to a prison sentence, so I gave his grandfather a list of sites and people to call yesterday and it seems to have paid off. He’s such a good lad, needs to do some learning and growing, and has wanted to work on a farm for quite a while. So here’s hoping it works out for him.

I went out for dinner last night, and had a dessert. 800gms later… Still, a FD today, so that should be gone by lunchtime (famous quote in this part of the world).

Does your OH normally eat zucchini, Expat? Mine doesn’t, but if the recipe hides the flavour then it might by worth trying on him. Keep strong with your FD. Think of tomorrow.

Well done, Thin! Isn’t it the best feeling? And this control and weight loss from this WOL makes me like myself so much better, do you find?

I agree, Intesha, about the threads being as good as a soap opera – all these personal lives being shared and supported. Have a great day with your dad today and enjoy your lunch, FDs are mean to be flexible.

B xx

Hi all, yes lovely lunch with Mum, Dad, daughter-in-law, 3 grandchildren and my brother and his wife. Went to a local RSL had pumpkin risotto and a glass of wine. Will not eat now until tomorrow. Maybe FD on Sunday to make up for today.

Expat hope your day is getting better, there is nothing worse than feeling down on a FD, I’ve had a few and it makes you question why you are doing this but without the support I have had from this forum I think I would have given it away. You can always relie on someone to say the right words at the right time. Will certainly read that link.

Thanks for all the good wishes for my Dad x

Hi all, non- FD for me today thank goodness. Yesterday was a struggle! Tried the old boiled egg before bed trick and that helped somewhat. I struggle to get to sleep when I’m hungry so reserved 17 calories for an egg white.

CM, so exciting about Charlie, I hope you get a nice wee littler of mixed colours! How sweet! Times like these I wash we could share photos on here! Will you take a puppy do you think? Enjoy your girls night tonight 🙂 I tried the Tom Yum soup and holy moly was it hot! Great flavour though, I’m definitely going to try your recip though with the veges and I’m thinking prawns and tofu. thank you for that! OH is going well with 5:2, thanks. He has lost 3 or 4 kilos in 6 weeks. He plays hockey in the victorian premier league and the first game of the season is tomorrow so he will start dropping weight more rapidly now I think. He starts his new job at the beginning of next month and is very excited!

Thin, well done on the new low! Free pizza would not even be a question for me… maybe have a big salad before you go and just have a few slices there? I think you deserve a treat!

Intesha, it sounds like you’re feeling a bit better. Lunch with your family sounds lovely 🙂

Barata, fantastic news about your grandson- I really hope everything works out for him. That’s a great opportunity he’s been given. Very jealous about your abundance of feijoas! they go for $2 each here and are found in the ‘exotic fruit’ section!! Pah!

Expat, you’ve sold me on the spriralizer- I love zucchinni and fussy OH now eats it too so I’ll get onto that! I had a PMS day on a FD a few weeks back and spent my day sulking about having cramps and wanting to devour a block of chocolate. I hope you’re feeling better, nothing worse than fasting when you’re feeling out of sorts!

Big weekend ahead for me with a night at the comedy fest, a baby shower and catch ups with friends. I’m making 24 red velvet cupcakes for the baby shower at my house but am going to try and practice some self control as it has been 2 weeks since I lost weight and I have even crept up a little 🙁 I know what I need to do.

wow today has been a challenge, headache – guessing from the fact that I couldn’t exactly drink my water constantly while on the school tour and I missed my morning cup of tea because the silly tour went for an hour and a half and by the time I got back to work it was almost lunch time for everyone here.

lunch was at 1.30 for me which I thought was good and I did add a half an oat bar because I was starving after walking around the school all morning. But I feel a lot better because of it.

this afternoon has crawled on but I am determined to make it.

one more day and its the weekend yay (well I have to work Saturday but its only for 3 hrs so doesn’t really count)

anyway enough from me back to looking like I am doing work for a while 🙂

cheers 🙂

Hi everyone, love reading your posts but only get the chance to say hello once in a while. Another beautiful autumn day here in Perth, makes it easy to get out of bed and enjoy a walk. FD today but feeling OK and, a small celebration for me, I managed a 4km walk. That’s not a long distance for many of you, but for me it’s about ten times longer than I could manage a few months ago. I love my physio. I also love the tracker on this website. I wouldn’t have thought of recording my measurements but glad I did as during the weeks when the scales don’t cooperate, I can at least see progress in lost cms. I am so glad you have started a recipe forum too, I am going to make the dahl recipe tonight, thanks for sharing the recipe. OH, who is now doing 6:1, is very happy to have a low cal meal, he just has larger portions than me. So, after several weeks on 5:2, I am now fitter, 7kg lighter, with many more to lose, but feeling some confidence in this WOE. Lots of good wishes to everyone with your journeys to health, thanks again for sharing your ideas and support here 🙂

MK, yes luckily I have more good days than bad. I’m coming out the other side of hell now and hopefully never get there again, it’s a pretty frightening place. I’ll still have down days like you all but that’s human nature.

MAM, you’ve done very well. All the posts from everyone with the struggles and triumphs keeps the rest of us motivated.

Well done DT another success story for 5:2. This must be the biggest shift in history. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, it would be amazing to know how much weight has been lost worldwide following this WOL.

Sitting on the back verandah with a cup of lemon and ginger tea watching a storm roll in and reading my 5:2 book.

OK girls, now tell me the truth…..is it REALLY called a spiralizer????? I don’t want to look like a complete idiot when I go into the store and ask for one!!! xx

Welcome back & thanks for posting a profile DTfromWA, you’ve made a great commitment to a healthier you. You may have missed the posts about meeting for coffee/walk with others in Perth so, if that’s something that interests you, please make it known. Your 6:1 OH is also welcome.

MOM your day’s almost over and you can start looking forward to all the things you can have tomorrow. Things are looking up for your step grandson Barata. Yes, I definitely feel a lot happier with myself, so many compliments all the time about my weight loss are very encouraging. And gradually, more and more people are asking me for info on 5:2 as they want in on the action. Three new converts in the last two days!

MK88, thanks for the advice – I’m hoping the new, healthier me will feel full after two slices…..we’ll see. I’ve been psyching myself up for it all day. So true CM, which feels better, the five minutes of food on your tongue or the constant compliments and long-term feeling of well-being? And really, half an hour after you over-indulged in that ‘treat’ it makes no difference whether you had one, two or three pieces so you might as well stick to one.

Intesha you sound a lot happier as the week’s progressed. You go girl! Can’t wait to hear you’re under 80kgs.

Expat, I just ordered the spiral gadget for the zucchini spaghetti from ebay (CM I’ll send you the link on ebay so you can see what it is). CM posted a link to a web site the other day which had full instructions on cooking the zucchini and offered various 5:2 sauces to go with it. Can’t wait to try and, as it’s coming from China, I expect it to arrive in the next half hour. How DO they do that so cheaply and quickly? I sold something to a man in Qld last week and it took 12 days, he sent me the tracking log and the package went from Perth-Vic-three separate places in NSW-back to Vic (honestly!) and then to two places in Qld before arriving at the destination. 😆

Love watching storms rolling in, Intesha. Sounds like you had a happy day.
    Barata – So glad the step-grandie has the chance of fresh air & sunshine on a farm. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for him.
    MK88 – Um….egg white…what, on its own?? How exactly do you eat that?
    Puppies – well, I’d love one, but not 100% sure yet. Although I have started thinking about names! I didn’t think the soup was THAT hot. Anyway, once you add all the extra bits it tones it down a bit & then I had to add extra chilli. Busy weekend for you – are you fasting tomorrow?
    MOM – You’ll make it this afternoon. Remember to drink your teas & water. Try a pinch of salt on your tongue. The extra fluid you’re drinking passes thru and takes your electrolytes with it. So we need to replenish. Don’t overdo it, but its worth a try. Sounds strange, but it’s worked for me when I’ve felt really hungry – forgot to mention it earlier.
    DT – Wow, that’s a great loss. You must be really happy as well, with your walking longer distances too. As Thin said, come join us for a coffee one day soon.
    Ordering from China, Thin! Very ambitious…. At least your Qld package arrived. You’d think it was going to the other side of the world. I get stuff quicker from the US than a parcels from the Eastern States! Go figure! No wonder AusPost is losing money!
    Have a lovely evening girls. Weigh-in tomorrow! Good luck…. CM xx

Good afternoon everyone….

it’s a Vegetti…I got mine from Robin’s Kitchen for $35 (which I though was expensive). I think Kelva (online kitchen stuff) sell them too. It doesn’t taste like zucchini…it tastes like pasta.

I did my fast day yesterday despite feeling meh. Weighed in this morning (last weigh in was the 2nd April). I have not lost a gram. I have not gained one either.

Not.a.gram. Nadda. Zip.

Sigh. I have plateaued.

I shall celebrate by having wine tonight, wine tomorrow night and wine on Sunday. Then I do the fast on Monday. ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

Seriously, I really eat a healthy diet. With wine.

What really burns my patootie is that hubby is losing fat hand over fist. And he likes a glass of wine too.

Well done to DTfromWA and MAM…awesome. And to CM and Barata and crowd KEEP THE FAITH XXXXXX

Too bad Expat, you’ll be OK next week. And, you didn’t gain any weight so ‘yay’!

I paid $6.95 for my Vegetti on ebay. It’s probably not as good quality as the $35 one but you can compare on ebay and decide. Tip: if searching for the cheap and cheerful Chinese one, spell it the way I have above. To compare with the more expensive version, spell it Veggetti. I’ll let you know if it lasts beyond its first use.

I let myself down last night and had FIVE pieces of pizza at the event. Small size but still, it was a binge compared to my food habits over the past few months. It’s all I had all day apart from breakfast but I felt annoyed with myself all evening afterwards. Anyway, I seem to have got away with it and am at a new low this morning of 64.4kgs. Will have to be extra careful over the next few days. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

$6.95? Oh deary me. Am not telling my husband 🙂

64.4kg…awesome TaL. That’s great.

I kind of think it’s a life time thing so slow and easy is OK by me. I’d like to get to 68kg but next month, year…whatever is OK as long as I feel good and don’t have to watch every mouthful. I am trying to avoid the whole diet concept and see this as a way of living healthily. I love seeing my husband so happy too. He really looks great.

So…viva la pizza and enjoy life while we can. Too short for anything else XXXXX

I’m fine thanks CM.
    Well done everyone on your continued successes!
    Thin you are SO right about transporting things around Aust. That’s why I drove to Melbourne and back Weds/Thurs this week to pick up a parcel. Couldn’t trust it to anyone else.
    Had a great journey with taking limited healthy food, so I partially fasted both days. It meant I wasn’t tired (drove 2000km over 25 hours) and I saved time and money not having to stop and buy roadside rubbish! 🙂 P

Hi All. Thin – that’s great hitting another new low & with pizza too! Congrats..think I’ll have to try that idea!
    Purple – You could start your own PVE Transport company clocking up all those miles! It must have been very precious cargo.
    Expat – you and me, both stationary. Great that OH is powering along and is looking great too. Will go in search of this gadget today. If they want that kind of money I might risk it with Thin’s Chinese buddy.

Oh well. Haven’t lost anything since Tuesday. Anyway, I feel great & am at my lowest for a looong time, down almost 6kg since mid-Feb. Gotta be happy with that. People are starting to notice and asking what I’m doing. They really seem to have pre-conceived ideas about FDs & 5:2. It’s amazing the number of people who think a FD is total starvation. If they’re interested & want me to explain more, I do. Otherwise, I just let them stare and be REALLY jealous!! Happy Friday everybody! CM xx

OK, where is everyone?? It’s been very quiet on here today….is that cos its weigh-in day? Anyway, hope you’re all ok and just off having drinks with the girls instead on nattering on here! Just back from shopping & Woolies have Slendier noodles on special $3 each. Also bought the Lean Cuisine Chicken Laksa to try out next week @ 180 cals. Handy to have in the freezer if we’re desperate on FDs. La Zuppa soups (except the Just Add Water variety) are all on special too. Their entire range seems to be 99% fat free & low cal (25-40 cals). Going to try some of them this week too. Its good to have something like this as a go-to in the pantry, then we don’t have an excuse for say, pizza! Sorry, Thin, I just couldn’t resist! So, whatever you’re all up to tonight and this weekend, stay safe & well, and have a lovely time. Onward & downward. CM xx

CM I kept checking all day and thought there must have been something wrong with my internet. It’s know wonder we get disappointed when we know we have been good and there are no results. Yesterday apart from my risotto lunch and a 96calorie shake last night I had had nothing to eat until breakfast this morning. I weighed 83.9 last night. Today I have written down everything I ate including allowing 500 calories for a choc top ice cream and twix bar at the movies. I still came in under 2000 but now weigh 85. I feel like I am never going to get under 80.

Hearing about everyone else’s trials does make me feel somewhat better.

Have a great weekend everyone one x

Sorry for the long post….
    Hi Intesha. Yes, I know it’s disappointing. Never mind. Let’s look at what’s happening with you. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your message, but it sounds like you’re weighing yourself at night, after a day of eating and drinking. I suggest you do it once only & in the morning. Remember, the amount of liquid (or whatever) you have consumed during each day/evening will differ day-to-day, consequently you will weigh differently each night. So the only time that things are equal really is upon waking, after going to the loo. I’m sure you know this already and if I’ve misread your message then I’m sorry & please ignore.

Secondly, go back and review your TDEE. 2000 cals seems like a lot. I try and stay below 1200 on NFDs out of habit, unless I’ve got something special on. I’ve heard it suggested to select “sedentary” unless you have a regular exercise program. Even though I walk daily (& do housework, gardening, etc) I still select sedentary. I also don’t have anything with carbs after breakfast. So, I’ve given up things like rice, bread, bickies, pasta, etc, on a regular basic. I might have them as an occasional treat, but severely limited. I know Thin & lots of others have the same mindset on carbs. It’s made a huge difference to the speed of my loss & I only miss them occasionally now. I also steer clear of chocolate, ice cream, and any other sugar laden products. I find they spike my blood sugar levels and then I get hungry & get the munchies. It’s not for life, only until we get control & understand how different foods affect us & our weight. I guess you could call it “Mindful Eating”.

Intesha, we REALLY want you to succeed. The most important thing is getting that downward trend going. It’s all self-motivating after that. Try the above ideas & tell us what you think. I’m sure that others will chime in with their ideas and suggestions too. Hope this helps. CM xx

CM thanks for taking the time to send such a detailed post.

I put down moderate excercise which gave me a TDEE of over 2000. I have now adjusted it to light which still gives 1900. I go to Curves gym four times a week which is a computerised excercise program of resistance and strength training. Their diet plan is 7 days at 1200 cal, 23 days at 1500 until you reach your goal weight then maintenance of 2000-2500. If you put on more than 1.5 on this you go back to the beginning.

So the fast diet is a bit deceptive in saying that you can eat what you want on non FD days.

I will revert back to the Curves plan for the next month including the two fast days and hopefully this should push things along.

Thanks again for your support x

Hi Intesha,
    You are correct, in that the wording seems to be too good to be true ‘eat what you like on the non fast days’.
    What I decided, was it should have been worded something along the lines of….’eat what you like, but not HOW MUCH you like on non fast days’
    Then it is clear that there really are no right and wrong foods, it just gets back to caloric consumption being at a level where we can achieve the goals we want.
    I feel that this one piece of marketing-speak used by the FAST DIET publishers, has caused a lot of people to misunderstand to whole concept, and then feel let down when it doesn’t deliver the miraculous goods promised.

This is my 104th week on 5:2, and I’m still very happy that I found a powerful tool that worked well for me. Doc Mosely’s original method and the science behind it actually works in a real and profound way.

So I say to all of you who are finding it all too confusing, go back to basics, re measure, re evaluate and look at what you can do to make a difference for yourself. Read the book, and look at the documentary ‘Eat, fast, live longer’.

Get checked out with other health measurements, like blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol, etc. as just being on the 5:2 will be making positive changes to your inner wellbeing.

Don’t get caught up in believing the advertising spiel!

It’s you who ultimately makes the biggest difference to your health and confidence, and don’t give up believing in the power you possess!

Thanks IHAW. Perfectly explained. xx
    Forgot you were doing Curves Intesha. xx

Thanks IHAW, yes it is all trial and error and finding what works for you. Have just been to the gym and am absolutely whacked. When you are pitting yourself against a machine and it flashes back at you or not if you are not pushing yourself it can be daunting.

I will go back to basics. Will restart on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are my FD days, no gym on those days and weigh in on Fridays. I will follow the Curves program on my NFD’s as it is something I am comfortable with and I don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

I have just finished reading the book and I agree it all makes sense and it is a way of life not a fad.

I really have nothing to complain about as I have lost 4kg since starting in Feb so still early days.

Intesha – As IHAW suggested watch Dr M’s documentary again. I’ve watched it several times & it makes me refocus & also remember all the other reasons why I’m doing this. With a 97 years old mother, I need some insurance into old age (if I get that far!). We can’t give you the exact link as this site won’t post it for some reason. However, this is how Thin described it back in early March when we were looking for it. “Anyway here’s a cryptic version to try: daily motion (all one word) dot com and then type in the search box Eat Fast Live Longer”.
    You can do this, Intesha. I know it can be tough at the beginning, but you also know of all the success stories – even just here on this thread alone. As IHAW said, “Doc Mosely’s method and the science behind it actually works in a real and profound way”. I totally agree. You have the tools to change your life, and we’re here with you all the way. CM xx

Expat, don’t worry, your veggetti is undoubtedly a better model than my Chinese knock-off! And I totally agree with you that all we need is a downward trend, it doesn’t matter how long it takes. We’re here for life.

Purple, that was some cargo you moved personally. You’ve really got us guessing now. Hi IHAW and CM.

Intesha, I empathise with your frustration. You’ve received some helpful advice above so I won’t repeat what others have said. One thing I did find odd was that Curves are recommending “……1500 until you reach your goal weight then maintenance of 2000-2500”. I don’t want to come across as undermining your faith in Curves because you obviously like and respect it – but I can’t understand the logic behind this at all. We need to learn to consume the number of cals that will sustain our new weight. To suggest that a person restrict their cal intake to lose weight and then return to the higher intake would seem to be dooming them to gain weight which is exactly the pattern many of have experienced before we discovered 5:2. And the numbers they’re using do seem very high. I think Dr M. used a TDEE of 2000, 500 cals for FDs for the purpose of keeping it simple for all to use.

There’s another aspect to all this which can be read in Dr M’s ‘Fast Exercise’ book. It explains why people cannot lose weight on the conventional exercise plans that we’ve all been sold over the years. My walking buddy exercises herself silly to the point of almost vomiting afterwards – she has stayed at 93 kgs while I’ve dropped nearly 19kgs. All I do is incorporate the High Intensity Training (HIT) into my normal 5kms walk. This involves walking as fast as I possibly can for 60 seconds about 6-8 times during the course of my walk. OK, I admit that I’m not toned up and I’m not the fittest person (fitness is very important four our health & I’m not challenging that) but I am dropping weight which is what you’re after right now. Have a read of the Fast Exercise book.

And let’s celebrate the success of your 4kg loss since February – it took me longer than that to lose 4kgs.

Spot on Thin. Yes, I absolutely agree that 4kg is something to celebrate, Intesha.

Also, I checked out that Vegetti thing yesterday. Well, that was an experience! OMG the only model the kitchen shop had was $150! “She” asked me what I wanted it for….duh, making vegetable spaghetti & I also added “for the kids” as I didn’t really want to go into the reasons with her. “She” then had the nerve to say “they must be older children”!! What The??? I quickly put it down, gave her my best Julie Bishop “death stare” and left the building (never to return I might add)! Could not believe it….AND she looked WAY older than me….AND I’m THINNER too – So There! Hah!

Anyways…back to 5:2. Have started to add some HIT to my morning walks this past week. So will keep at it now that I know others are doing it. Once I stop gasping & get my breath back, I have another go……fitness is coming as well, but very slowly.

Have a lovely Saturday everyone. Beautiful here in Perth. CM xx

Hilarious CM, I’m cracking up. 😆

Wise words IHAW…eat what you like, not how much you used to.
    A musical instrument Thin …too precious to get broken by couriers 😉

F**k. Just burnt myself on the bbq. Don’t text and cook ; (

Viewing 50 posts - 4,601 through 4,650 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.