Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,920 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,551 through 4,600 (of 28,024 total)

• Thanks CM for those kind words, this is such a great site to get you back on track. Hi Thin, I’m here, Monday’s I go to see my Mum in the nursing home and it always upsets me, so never feel like talking much. I guess I’ve had to carry things for so long on my own it’s a welcome change to have someone ask where I am.

I wonder if I will ever get to the stage that some of you are at with not eating on FD’s or eating very little. I think you are all amazing and such inspirations, no wonder people who are lurking on the site end up joining the forum. FD Tomorrow.

Thin – I was a VERY good girl on the weekend. Anyway, I think your body needs a shake up. Why not go for a good Chinese acupressure massage instead of a walk to get your blockages unblocked & all that good chi / zen stuff! Your body won’t know what’s hit it!! CM xx

Grrr..I’ve got a headache today! And I don’t get them, so I won’t blame the fast:( I’ll go and have some Mg and Vit B. Keep you posted. P

Intesha – if it’s any consolation I tried the no food thing last FD & didn’t like it much. I felt my resolve was weakened by it. Today, went back to having some fruit & toast, coffee for bfst & I feel so much better. No lunch (although had a Tom yum soup ready in case) & will power on til dinner with some smoked ham & big salad planned. So you just need to stick with the basics & when you’ve got this thing nailed, you can start experimenting. I know I’m doing something great for my body already. The ‘real’ fasting can wait until I’m ready. So please, don’t you feel pressured to do anything you’re not ready for. It will come soon enough. Take care. CM xx

CM research seems to indicate that avoiding carbs (like toast) on a fast day stops insulin spikes. Have you thought of having an egg instead of the toast? Same number of cals but the protein is more sustaining. The body repairs itself better and you are less likely to feel hungry when not having insulin spikes. Veg soup is another suitable alternative on a fast day. You probably know this, but just in case… 😉 P

CM, I forgot to say that I tried your LaZuppa Tom Yum soup yesterday. For 28 cals, I give it a big thumbs up. I think this would suit people who have to work on a FD to keep handy in the filing cabinet. Just add water. Great idea about the massage. Birthday coming up and family asking for ideas. Hey, have you been to that place in Freo where you (pay to) get locked in a room and have to solve clues to get yourselves out? I was thinking of asking for that too.

Glad you’re OK Intesha. Do you take your Dad along to visit also?

MK88. I agree. I think the “you can eat anything on NFD” can be a trap….one I have also fallen victim too. Wiser now & I had a light weekend too – also feel better for it today.
    Thin – pin up girl! Youve gotta be joking!! But I do feel great today.
    Purple – thanks for info on toast. Only have half slice, homemade stoneground & lots of grains. Will keep in mind though. That’s my last carb for the day normally though. Anything at dinner & I guarantee to be more on scales the next day.
    Welcome MOM – glad you have joined in. If you’ve been reading our posts you’ll know we don’t alway talk 5:2. But we have fun anyway! After thinking I could never get back down to a healthy weight again, I’m so glad I saw Dr M’s TV programme & thought it was too good (easy) to be true. Just wish I hadn’t procrastinated for so long to get started. Well, it gets easier the more FDs you have under your belt. Stick with it. Good luck & I really mean that. CM xx.

Thin – No, never heard about it….unless you mean Freo Prison!!! Maybe the ghosts will help you escape. Joking! x

Ha ha ha you’re too funny CM. It’s called Escape Hunt Perth on South Terrace.

I am feeling great today Thin! Thanks for checking in, no headaches and barely any hunger. I am starting to see what you all have been saying all along. Intesha, hang in there girl. I know it seems ludicrous to not feel hungry when you’ve got a measly 500 cals a day but in time your body will get somewhat used to it’s FD’s and it will barely be a struggle! I hope you are ok after seeing your Mum today. I feel for you with what you’ve been through but I am so inspired by you for deciding to do this and getting on with it, good on you 🙂 I have got to grab some of this La Zuppa! Sounds delish!

I hope your headache is shifting, P. Not nice. I presume you are not susceptible to them? Hug.

Well done everyone, FD nearly over. Welcome, MOM, you are in a good place here.

I bought some of the miso soup today, that everyone is talking about. Will try it when there’s a small gap to fill. Certainly warmth is what is needed here tonight – winter has arrived!

I love all the happy chat, even if I’m not talking myself every day.

Thanks CM that makes me feel better. I know it’s early days, just starting my 11th week, little steps. MK it’s always hard seeing Mum, dementia is such a cruel disease. I take her out every Monday for morning tea but she never remembers. She can’t understand why she is there and not living with Dad. Dad goes everyday, but Monday he is finding it very hard to deal with its heartbreaking to see. It’s their wedding anniversary tomorrow 67years.

Just saw all the snow in NZ hope you are all okay over there and keeping warm.

Hi Barata. Have heard about this miso soup – must get around to trying it.
    Purple, yes, hope that headache had gone for you by now. Had one myself this morn -very unusual for me. Have taken your advice & bought a big tray of mushrooms to make some soup. Love mushy soup & haven’t had any for ages. Got them for $5 for huge tray – gotta love a bargain!
    MK88 – Yes, try those soups. Will give some other varieties this week. Will let you know. I’m also working on a recipe for a low-cal spicy malaysian soup which should work well for FD dinners.
    CM xx

Thanks girls. No feeling terrible. Off to bed. 🙁 P

Intesha – You sound like a wonderful daughter and I know it must be a huge comfort for your Dad. I can’t begin to imagine how tough it must be for you. But don’t try and manage all this on your own as it can becoming overwhelming. Do you have any siblings? How old are your Mum & Dad? Try to stay strong and please reach out for help if you need it. Remember there are support groups and counselling available for family members too (You & your Dad). Promise me you will speak to your GP and find out what’s available. Then you know what is there if/when you need it. But most importantly, take care of yourself. You need to stay healthy and positive, & 5:2 can help you get to a point where you feel better about yourself too. We’re here for you when you need to unload. Love & hugs. CM xx

Agree with CM Intesha. Your own health is everything. That’s going to come with 5:2. In the meantime, don’t do this alone, get whatever support you need. It’s good that your dad can visit your mum every day – so she’s not too far away by the sound of it. After 67 years of marriage, he must be devoted to her. I can’t even think of what to say – except that we’re thinking of you.

CM and Thin, who needs councillors with you around!!! Thank you for your concern, I am doing okay just have the down day every now and then. I do have a brother, I think, he is too caught up in his own life. Dad is 88 this week and Mum will be 89 in August. We were lucky to get a nursing home about 25minutes away, Dad still drives so he has got his independence. Off to bed, tomorrow’s another day. Goodnight forum buddies x

PVE and Intesha – are you both feeling better today?

Thanks Thin. I ended up resorting to Neurophen Plus yesterday, on a fasting stomach, and felt appalling. Headache still today:( At least the sun is shining so I’m walking it off; ) P

Hi Thin, yes better today. Have just finished my two hour compulsory job searching so that I can get the Newstart allowance. It’s a joke, I am 65 in October, so who is going to employ me but the Government makes you jump through these hoops when there are so many over 50’s unemployed. Oh well have to survive somehow.

What Fast Diet cooking book is everyone using? I am waiting for my 5:2 book to arrive so that I can read more about how to use the program but there seems to be a few different versions of the cook book. I was going to check out the noodles and soup today but couldn’t find a parking space so will probably leave it until the schools go back.

Thanks for thinking about me x

Morning All.
    Purple – Sorry you’ve still got that headache. Take it easy. I generally only get headaches when my neck is out & I use it as a good excuse for a massage!
    Intesha – I’ve heard this recipe site is pretty good, but haven’t used it myself. Let us know what you think. http://www.52recipes.co.uk/ Glad today is better for you.
    Thin – You fasting today or tomorrow? Remember we were talking about the “5 min editing lag” on posts? It starts from the first time you click “submit”.
    Expat – Where are you?

So, to some of our newbies – Ibardel, MaryAnneM, Hohapata, MadamOfMayhem, NannaP & SydneySingleMum. How are you all going with 5:2?? Hope you are still lurking out there. Please pop in and tell us your news and how your FDs are going. Any questions? We’d love to hear from you all.

Well, it was a good FD for me yesterday. Kept busy and stayed under 500 easily. Lowest weight yet today (yay!), and I hope it stays around until Friday’s weigh-in! Haven’t been down here for a LONG time! Have resolved to be a very good girl this week. Might be breaking through to a new number if I’m really lucky. Threatening rain and cool here in Perth. Think I’ll have a morning in the kitchen – bread, yoghurt, pesto (my basil is going nuts in the garden). Have a great day everyone. CM xx

Hi Instesha
    The original Fast Diet Recipe book by Mimi Spencer and Sarah Schenker has lovely pictures and some good flavour ideas, but I find it very English, especially the fish and veg.
    Kate Harrison jumped on the bandwagon early and produced the 5:2 Diet Book and 5:2 Recipe book. They were my bible when I started 2 years ago. I still regularly pull them out. Her ideas are simple and practical and have a great calories for different foods in the back. Once I had my head around a few standbys, it was easy.
    All these books are available online from Booktopia in Australia.
    When many of us were on the Ladies of a Certain Age thread on this forum, we started a LOACA Recipe thread. It’s still somewhere on this forum. Has some fast favourites on it.
    Glad you are feeling better today. 🙂 P

Grrr, just wrote a reply and it said I wasn’t logged in and then it all went away when I logged back in. That’s one way to shut me up.

Well done CM, great job. I bet you can’t wipe the smile off your face. My FDs are Sun and Weds. Hmm, 5 mins isn’t very long when you post your missive and then find you made some errors.

Intesha, try this website: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/pictures/34861/meals-under-300-calories/1 Really tasty recipes although the portion sizes are an eye-opener! I didn’t want my FDs to comprise a carrot, cottage cheese and a stick of celery so decided to cook proper FD ‘meals’. You can search the site for ‘meals under 200 cals’, etc. I found that planning one month’s worth of FD meals really helped me stick to the 500 cals. Well worth the time spent planning ahead. As PVE says, you adopt some good standbys and the cal counting becomes less of a chore in time.

Thanks CM. We crossed posts!
    You are right…I moved some really heavy furniture on Sunday for a council kerbside cleanup. Obviously hurt my stupid neck. Walking helped. Massage tomorrow if it continues.:)
    Well done on the low weight! If you weigh ever day you can record the lowest each week. Much more satisfying than once a week and potentially missing it 😉
    How do you keep the pesto from going mouldy if you make a fair bit? P

Purple – At least you know it’s your neck & not some bug. Well, that’s good news about the lowest weight for the week – not just on Fridays – now I am smiling! Re the pesto. I blitz everything except the parmesan and freeze it in portion size batches. I add the parm after defrosting as it gives a better flavour & fresher taste. You’d never know it had been frozen. Have reduced the amount of olive oil I add as well. I tend to add some to soups for a burst of flavour (no parm) just before serving. Delish. CM xx

Hi Purple,
    Put some ice on your painful neck, it might help assist the pain and spasms. Tiger balm or a similar analgesic gel will also help.
    With pesto or any other similar stuff, keep it in the fridge, and make sure to pour a good layer of olive oil on the surface….thus keeping any air away from it and mould from growing.
    Hope things get better soon!

Thin I had the same thing happen to me the other day and in the end I gave up, it is so frustrating.

CM I haven’t been around for your journey but well done you x

Thanks all for the recipe tips. I will research it. Structure is what is missing from my life, so planning menus will fill in some time. When I was working and living on my own I would spend Sunday’s organising my meals for the week, preparing salads for work, cutting up veggies for dinner and portioning out meats. When you are up at 5am and not home till 7-7.30 I found it was the only way I controlled my eating. I have been going to Curves for 5years and they had a lot of recipes which I stuck to religiously, no need to count calories it was all worked out. I think I’ll have to start cooking two meals as Dad is a meat and 3 veg person so I can’t not feed him what he is used to and I can’t keep using him as an excuse.

Thanks Purple I will look into those books. It is a lovely day in Sydney today, sunshine makes you happy.

It is indeed Intesha…I’m Sydney based too.
    IHAW, I was thinking about you this morning as I tried to hold my elbows in to bring the shoulders down. It really is excellent advice. You learn so much more than just fasting on this forum! P 🙂

Intesha, I also have to plan meals for others – a very skinny husband who does 6:1 fasting and a slim teenager who eats only whatever I can get in her – unlike her mother, she’d never bother eating if she wasn’t reminded, doesn’t like meat at all (and having recently visited an abbatoir as part of her vet training, is now mumbling about being a vegetarian).

Rather than make it a three meal affair, I plan their meals around MY fast day meals. This might mean serving them double/triple portions of what I’m having; a steak for OH; servings of rice or pasta; extra veggies. Make it easy on yourself, you’re only fasting twice a week, so your dad can slot into what you’re doing and it won’t be much different from what he gets now. The other thing I do is serve them leftovers from what we all had the day before. That way, I’m cooking once for two nights – we do that anyway as we’re a small family.

All great ideas, girls. I’m a big believer in “you can eat what I eat” only more, or adding some extras goodies. Otherwise it would become hell. Luckily OH is very supportive & is losing along the way with me, but not fasting.
    Purple, I’ve got a couple of recipes I wouldn’t mind sharing. Is there somewhere to post them, other than on this thread? Elbows in, shoulders down – I tried it & it works!
    Intesha – It hasn’t been a very long journey for me so far, unlike some of the more experienced 5:2ers. But this WOL just seems a perfect fit. I’ve dropped over 5kg since mid-Feb. To show how unsure I was, my first goal was only 2.5kg…what a wimp! I’m going for 10kg now. When (not if) I get there, I’ll be the lightest I’ve been since my early 20’s. Then there will be a party! I’ve got family & friends on Michelle Bridges and although they’ve lost weight, they HAVE to exercise 6 days/week for at least 1 hour/day. As well as sticking with cal restricted meals every day! For me, that is unsustainable. They couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t do it. Now, when they see me eating/drinking normally on NFDs, they are wondering why THEY did it! Hah! Go 5:2!! CM xx

Yes CM. The LOACA recipe thread. Go to the home page, scroll down through the topic areas to FOOD, select “Recipes” and scroll down to THE LOACA RECIPE THREAD!!The newest post is a pattie recipe from our own SA girl, Nicky F. 🙂

Thanks Purple.

Hi Guys…just checking in.

Good to read all your news. Sorry to hear about your neck PVE…hope it improves quickly.

I had a fast day yesterday…just herb tea and water. It was OK…got a bit hungry at bed time but resorted to sleep.

Hard day at work today so have not had time for lunch…just had a natural trail bar. Tastes like cardboard.

I bought one of those spiral things that makes spaghetti out of zucchini and veggies. I plan to make a spicy veg spaghetti to go with strips of seared black angus rib fillet. Looking forward to that meal!!!

Hugs to all.

Hey Expat – That sound absolutely delish….my mouth is currently watering thank you very much! I saw those spiral thingies the other day too. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of them. Your trail bar also sounds spectacular!! CM xx

I’m an extremely excited CharliesMum!!
    Very happy to announce the pending arrival of Charlie’s first litter of puppies. The vet has confirmed that Poppy (Charlie’s “wife”) is very pregnant. The babies are due next Monday. Both mothers-in-law are just thrilled to bits!! Stay tuned…..CM xx
    …and I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with fasting, but I just HAD to tell you guys! x

And so you should! Grandparenthood (even of puppies) is SO wonderful! 😉 P

Hello fasters! My buddy who I had converted to the WOL admitted he had slacked for the last two weeks the other day so we came at it with renewed enthusiasm yesterday. I had still been fasting but I was feeling like I had plateaued or even was gaining! Well I was gaining but I think it may have been partially stress/pms bloating. Sunday I was back up to 67.5kg and this morning after a successful fast day I was back at 66kg.. hmmmm… so I am still down by 5kg since November but I don’t seem to be able to stick under 65 so I need to get back into exercising I think and be a bit more careful about stress eating now that I am back studying as well as work. Best of luck to you all. We can do it!

CM congratulations, didn’t someone say the other day that this forum is just not for 5:2?? I’ve never felt comfortable on a website but you are all so down to earth it’s hard to imagine we don’t actually know each other. I too feel like it is too good to be true but obviously the results speak for themself. I think small goals are the way to go as the big picture frightens me.

I’ve just made myself a lovely cuppa and relaxing after sorting through some clothes. Usually I put away the summer ones and take out the winter ones but I find myself thinking what’s the point they probably won’t fit me next summer. What a wonderful thought but oh I like them so much. I am going to progressively try them on as the weight goes down so that they are not hanging around. Now I was going to tell you about the tea. Does anyone buy tea form T2. I had some at a high tea last year and this particular one, I think, is lovely. It’s called Gorgeous Geisha, the description is” Sencha Green Tea combined with the luscious flavour of strawberries and cream” you can have it hot or cold. Smells divine.

Do you all excercise on this diet?

Congratulations to the proud father-to-be Charlie! Confirmed pregnant and due next week – that’s all a lot to take in at once! Can’t wait to walk with you, Charlie and the new pup! Checked out that recipe link you gave us above – I like that, thanks!

Small goals are the way to go Intesha. Before I started on 5:2, my GP (who’s very sympathetic to weight issues as he had a problem himself) advised me to stop saying, “I need to lose 15kgs” and try and lose ONE kg per year for the rest of the my life. Put like that, it seemed so achievable and so I started with that goal in January 2014 – subsequently lost 5kgs over many months and then discovered 5:2 through which I’ve shed another 13kgs since August last year. I walk 5km or more daily but don’t really exercise as such – although this flab needs toning up now.

Fastina, you’re doing fine. Keep the faith!

I sometimes have a T2 treat – flipping expensive though – usually stick to Twinings on sale!

I’d always wanted to try those T2 balls that open up into a flower, until I saw the price – yikes! Although I really only wanted to watch them open!
    Exercise – well, I know I should, but apart from a daily walk with the mutt & OH, I just don’t seem to get the time, or perhaps I don’t plan my time well enough. Still trying to get back to yoga. But I’m with Thin – I’m starting to need a bit of toning too. Small goals are good & seem achievable. Looking back now, my 1st goal of 2.5kg seemed a lot to me, mainly because I was never able to shift it or even commit to shifting it. But now when I read 2.5kg I think how ridiculous it must have seemed to everyone….bit embarrassing really! 5kg was a faraway dream & 10kg wasn’t even on my radar. Funny how our own perceptions change as we progress. Well, more than half way there now. Everything you all said at the start was correct. Plan your meals ahead, be patient, measure yourself, you will go up and down, and every FD get easier. All great advice and bang on the money. Thanks guys. CM xx

Congrats CM what breed of puppies are you expecting?
    Well winter has definitely arrived here in NZ. Great opportunity to change the wardrobe and pull out the brand new boots 🙂 don’t mind winter as for us it means skiing 🙂 excellent form of exercise!!!
    I am still tracking along with my 2 FDs a week – mon and wed for me!!
    I always find the mon an easy fast and that jolly wed is always a little harder.
    Have been struggling to get back into the good habits post easter on the other 5 days that’s for sure. I am so incredibly focussed on the my FD’s!! Just need to focus that willpower to the whole week as I know that will produce that success I’m after.
    What am I after? My short term goal is to trim the scale weight approx 4kgs, then cruise into maintainance mode! Exercise isn’t my issue. I exercise at least 6 days a week – walking, home weights programme, high intensity workout classes. But I have changed up the focus on my home weights programme to gain a little more muscle.
    I use a few tools to assist along the way – MFP to track the nutrition and I also have one of the new fitbit charge, which I love!! And really love tracking cals burned etc. – I am a bit of a gadget and number chic!! Anything to help motivate myself eh!!
    Right meals all planned for my wed FD and time for my evening cuppa to warm me up.
    Have a lovely evening all.
    MAM 🙂

Hi MAM. Good to hear from you. They are English Cocker Spaniels…just toooo cute as puppies. Love ski-ing, so I’m very jealous. Yes, I think most of us use MFP, but I can’t understand why so many different calorie calculations for the exact same product, say, chicken drumstick. Gets confusing & tempting to just take the lowest number. Anyway, its still pretty good. How are you finding the Charge? I made the mistake of deducting the calories burned from my daily calories, until Thin (I think) politely told me to cease & desist! “I don’t think it works that way” she said……oh, bugger. You sound like you have everything under control & going well.
    Fastina – It’s amazing how a couple of FD gets you back on track. It was hard for me getting back to it after travel & visitors, but all is good again. Stick with it.
    Intesha – You’re sounding a lot better today, which is great. Hope Dad is ok too.
    Thin – Yes, we were pretty sure she was pregnant, but it was nice to get confirmation from the vet. I just know I’m going to want to bring one (or 3) home with me as cockers are the just most beautiful pups, but haven’t decided yet. Just enjoying a glass of red to celebrate the forthcoming birth(s). Cheers gang!

English cocker spaniels are just gorgeous – our first pup was a cocker spaniel – black and white 🙂
    We have just booked a ski week holiday later in the season. With hubby and our two teenage kids. So the next goal will be a new exercise program so I have an enjoyable pain free week 😉
    I am loving the charge. I have the HR charge. But when you activate the heart rate it does drain the battery pretty quick!! I am loving the feature of it notifying me when my cell phone rings

Greetings, all. Another cold night here, but set to improve over the next few days. Are you still with us, Merry, or have you managed to escape our shores before the Antarctic blast?

Lowest weight ever in adulthood this morning – 58 kg! So have celebrated / sabotaged with wine and dark chocolate this evening. A bit down, one thing and another, and trying to keep step-grandson out of prison after assault of ex-partner – who we are certain is lying her teeth out! 🙁 Need to get him out of the district, otherwise lawyer is saying three years!!! On the word of a nasty female and her sister!

Hope you bounce back fully, P, in all meanings of the word! 🙂 And lovely to hear of the expected arrivals, CM. Wish I could take one, would love to have a dog but not practical at the mo.

Best, all. 🙂

Top work Barata! Congratulations ☆
    Keep warm P

Thin you made me laugh, flipping heck. My ex came from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire and I heard that saying all the time. Yes the T2 is expensive and I use it very sparingly, it’s my treat to myself.

CM I look to you all for the inspiration to keep going. FD nearly over, weighed 83.9 this morning and just now 84.1, do hopefully good result tomorrow. Goodnight

Barata – You must be thrilled. You deserve the choc & wine. Hope the other nasty business sorts itself out quickly for you.
    Intesha – It’s happening for you…here come the 83s!! As Purple said today – take your lowest weight for the week…& she should know. So, this week your Friday weigh-in will be a NEW number. Congrats! Thank you for the vote of confidence, however, there are many more worthy & inspiring people on here, than me. Yes, I love how I laugh out loud when reading this thread. All good fun. Have a great evening guys. CMxx

Great news Barata! Enjoy your treats. Sorry to hear of the other problem though. Intesha, it’s good that you’ve only gained 200gms all day – it bodes well for a favourable reading in the morning. I feel quite tired reading about your exercise regime MAM. Spent the afternoon going through the recipes on the site you mentioned above CM – that’s increased my FD meal repertoire considerably. Teen informs me that the gestation period for dogs is only about 58-65 days. No wonder it all happened so fast.

P.S. ☆ Just wanted to see if I could make that star happen too Purple.

Good morning all, 82.7 this morning. Feeling a little lightheaded, have had breakfast. Anyone else feel like this after a FD?

Excellent news Intesha. I don’t experience any ‘symptoms’ of fasting so can’t help you there. Enjoying my peppermint tea and looking forward to a good walk at the river.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,551 through 4,600 (of 28,024 total)

You must be logged in to reply.