Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,912 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Intesha 1 day, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,151 through 2,200 (of 28,016 total)

• Hi everyone,

My name is Shelley, I’m from Brisbane, Australia πŸ™‚

It’s great to find like minded people to talk 5:2 with!

While I’m just starting out and easing my way into it, I can already tell I’m going to learn a LOT from this forum. So far I have been using my weekly allotment as my “bank account” with one cheat day each week. Basically, I’m on 10,920 calories a week but 6 out of 7 days I don’t go over 1560 calories.

Some days I have under 1000, some days 1200, some days 1300-1400 and some days I eat all my calories back. At the end of the week I tally up my “remaining balance” and have a cheat day with those excess calories. I don’t count my exercise calories, they’re just a bonus boost for my weight loss.

I’m currently 89.8kg and want to get down to 65kg. I see some people do 5:2 on here and some do 4:3. Would be interested to know the benefits of both as I want to be able to have some days where I can eat the bad things I want but am not afraid of being strict on myself to get the results I want!

Look forward to getting to know you all better in the months to come πŸ™‚

Hello shell tree and all others.
    The only obvious difference i see in doing 4:3 is that with an extra fast day you are bound to lose more if you can stick to your TDEE on non-fast days and not go over. But i suggest you make it easy for yourself and just do 2 fast days. Unless you have a metabolic disorder you should lose weight fairly steadily anyway. On non-fast days its recommended not to eat more than TDEE. You should lose this way, and after a while you may stall, then it would be good to reduce your calorie intake a little bit from your TDEE but don’t forget you have to recalculate your TDEE regularly anyway because it will change as you lose weight.

I suggest what you are currently doing, i.e. 1560 may be too low for you. When i started my diet i was about 80kg and i ate 1650 then 1600 7 days a week for 3 months with not much exercise (i’m quite a sedentary person) and lost most of my weight in that time. So my advice is don’t reduce your calories more than you have to show signs of weightloss. Doing so is just making it harder for yourself. There will be plenty of time in the future to eat only 1200 calories per day. Why make start early.

On this diet you can eat any type of food you want so long as the total calorie intake comes in on target. However, when you restrict calories, it makes more sense to increase the quality of the food to reduce the incidents of hunger and to maximise nutrition. So there should be less room in your diet for those “bad” foods. So you can eat dessert every day if you want but reduce your portions so that you don’t go hungry and break your diet. Learning to live without all that crap food is actually a lot easier than most people realise if you really want to. When you improve the quality of your savoury foods, you just don’t feel the need for sweet foods so much anymore. But i’m reading something very very interesting at the moment and it concurs with what i’ve noticed. (The End of Overeating by Kessler)

One idea i’m reading is: The right combination of sugar and salt and fat and salt, makes you want to eat more and this leads to out of control eating because of the way it affects appetite. I think it acts on our brains like drugs. So eating food that is less sweet and or salty is important. This is why fruit is fine and why icrecream, chocolate and potato chips are a danger foods. This is why one glass of milk is fine but why the same quantity of ice-cream is not. This is why a big bowl of fruit salad is ok but not a plate full of woolworths chicken. I bought one of these chickens as rare event earlier this year and saw that i was always in a hurry to get back and have some more until it was all gone.

Birdlady: Headaches like this are likely to come from dehydration. Lack of sugar doesn’t cause headaches. To improve the situation either just drink more water but better still have a cup of salty broth like miso or a stock cube or a tsp of vegemite tea.

You can watch the program on youtube its called eat fast livelonger.

Suetee, nothing will work if you can’t get your head into the right gear and commit. A successful diet is largely a matter of psychology. You have to be committed. And commitment has to be ongoing. I saw this yesterday on my fast. I wasn’t particularly hungry but it would have been so easy to change my plan to eating under 1000 calories a day instead of 500.

If you dont like counting calories, you should be able to drop the practice after a while but you should still food log until you are comfortable to go about at least estimating the right amount of calories. But if you are rigorous about it then you’d better stick with counting calories.

But i have found that a combination of rigorous foodlogging, daily weighing and choosing good quality whole foods (i.e. lots and lots of vegetables, enough dairy, no sweet treats) is sufficient for me to lose weight.

Jaksee your hangovers are from dehydration and possibly because of reduced carbs you are losing more water than you know. And also electrolyte imbalance, drink more salt broth – one a day when this happens. You should see the headaches pass quickly. Keep drinking more water. If your food is already very salty, you just need to drink more water.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SUGAR WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. You will not get headaches from lack of sugar. Lack of sugar has only a positive effect on you. No negative effects whatsoever! Not in the short or long term. Some people might confuse the headaches from stopping soda drinks with the stopping of caffeine. Caffeine withdrawal can cause headaches.

IHAW, Agreend that was an excellent two part program. I would urge eveyrone to watch Catalyst – Gut Reaction (on iview) who can. And i was going to post some notes on it for the foreigners. Its good too because in recent years people have started saying that fibre doesn’t help prevent bowel cancer and so on, but now this shows that fibre is indeed vital. The essential point is – eat a lot of fibre. 50g or more per day is good.

When you are looking into fibre foods, look at insoluble versus soluble. There is an excellent discussion of fibre on the website nutrition wonderland.com. The article is to be found in one of the drop down menus at the top of the page. This site has other very good articles in it as well. I liked the ones on leptin, seratonin and insulin as well. Most dieters don’t know anything about the effects of hormones in our system and weightloss attempts. I’ve only learnt this year and i’ve found it bother fascinating and useful.

Kerpid daily weight fluctuations occur because of water reention so there are many factors affecting this including: salty foods, hormones, exercise, general hyrdation, eating less carbs.

TArkeeth, nice joke.

I did my one day fast yesterday. I am doing separate ones this week but will get back to doing two consecutive days next week. It feels easier to me. I find the second day easier than the first because the appetite effects have already kicked in.

Hi everyone. Good to see so many new fasters joining in. After my big weekend last week it was so good to fast this week. I almost lost what I put on from my Melbourne weekend so I’m very pleased. We seem to have a very social life at the moment with another function tomorrow night. So my approach to tomorrow is to have a late breakfast of poached egg and tomatoes and then hot water with lemon and mint tea until dinner. I’ve had my 2 fast days this week but want to mindfully manage my intake this weekend. I’m also away all next week for work and have a strategy to manage that, but want a good head start into the week by being disciplined this weekend.

A number of new fasters have mentioned headaches. I’ve also suffered with some bad headaches on fast days. I ensure I drink a lot of hot water with lemon, green tea and organic three mint tea. If necessary I also take Nurofen to get through the day and even an early night depending on severity. The headaches have improved as I’ve got into the 5:2, I’m at the end of week 8 now. So reiterating what others have said, drink a minimum of 2 litres of water without fail.

1.4kg to go till I reach goal and it is a great feeling to know I can have a wonderful 4 day weekend on Melbourne eating at my favourite restaurants and can then just be very disciplined for a few days the next week and be where I need to be to feel comfortable.

This WOL is a bit of an adjustment but so worth it. Push through the headaches, the tummy grumbles and the hunger pangs because it will just become second nature and a welcome break.

Have a fabulous weekend, whether you be fasting or feasting. We are getting some lovely much needed rain here on the Gold Coast, so looks like I will get through a few episodes of West Wing.

Ciao, Jo

Totally agree that most headaches are caused by dehydration. Drink at least 2 litres on a fast day.

Suggest reading David Gillespie’s book on Sugar to get an idea of its adverse effects.

Type the words “sugar withdrawal” into a Google search and see what you get. Headaches come up.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Not only did i not get any withdrawal symptoms and i used to eat a ton of sugar and went cold turkey but i also have done low carb. I got headaches in the first few days of going low carb but not when i quit sugar.

The amount of sugar i used to eat quite regularly was phenomenonal before i started dieting at the beginning of the year. I think those people must be referring to carbs, not sugar per se.

If people do not mean refined sugar, but carbs then yes headaches will happen. And this is because of dehydration caused by electrolytes getting out of balance. If you only drink water to deal with the headaches you will continue to get them. You need to take in some more salts hence the recommendation for broth. Another side effect of electrolytes getting out of whack is leg cramps particularly at night.

Do you remember on the 3 day fast that Michael did in the show. He drank broth twice each day. That was not for flavour or fun. It was for the salt to help prevent dehydration.

Please just try increasing your salt intake on via miso soup, stock cube or vegemite tea and you will see a remarkable difference in how you feel. Your body cannot retain the water you drink if you don’t correct your electrolytes.

Its easy to find verification for all sorts of myths about any topic on the internet. Its more enlightening to look for credible information contradicting the ideas you want to believe. That’s what scientists do. Here’s one thing i found and it directly addresses the rat study.

http://www.griesson-debeukelaer.de/enDE/quality/studies/detail/news/zuckersucht-ist-ein-ernaehrungsmaerchen/back/193/hash/41150d86ee3c11e88cc2829d27488e49/

In a nice little book i read recently by Dr George Blair-West and Australian psychiatrist. He referred to the notion of sugar addiction. He made the useful distinction that it in some people sugar creates addiction like responses. I think this is the truth of the matter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-r-talbott/sugar-health_b_1396609.html

In this article, its obvious to me that the woman has gone on a low carb diet. And she’s not gone about it properly. This is the explanation for her symptoms. Some people, when starting a low carb diet, experience what’s called carb flu. As your body uses up its glycogen stores, it has to start finding another source of fuel for the brain until it can start producing ketones. The symptoms are an expression of the changes in diet on your brain which normally feeds happily on carbohydrates.

When you go low carb, you have to make sure your body salts are in balance and also that you are getting all the essential nutrition you need, that’s why supplements are often prescribed. If you don’t get all those usual nutrients you will get symptoms. But its not carbs that are missing, its the other things that are normally in the carb foods.

Had this person merely quit sugar and not carbs, none of this would have happened.

What is your definition of carbohydrate?

This is how I understand it:

the term carbohydrate often means any food that is particularly rich in the complex carbohydrate starch (such as cereals, bread, and pasta) or simple carbohydrates, such as sugar (found in candy, jams, and desserts).

Sugar has carbohydrate in it and insulin is needed to covert it into energy. The carbohydrate that is in root veggies takes longer to digest, but insulin is still needed to convert it into energy for the body to use.

It seems you have restricted carbohydrate to mean only complex carbs, not simple. I am not sure that is a mainstream definition.

You are right Amy. A carb is pretty straightforwad. If its not fat or protein, its most likely going to be a carb hence vegetables fruit, bread, rice, are all carb foods as well as sugar honey and most or a lot of what one finds in soft drinks, ice-cream, jam, cakes, chocolate and so on.

On low carb, people don’t quit vegies even in induction when they may start on 20 carbs( – they eat 3 cups of salad greens a day for two weeks along with lots of protein and fat). But significantly reducing your carbs does drain your body of glycogen and gives rise to headaches. When fasting your carbs are low so you can get these headaches too.

But just quitting refined sugar foods will not cause headaches. When people talk about getting headaches from giving up sugar, i assume they mean giving up these refined sugar foods. If they meant they cut their carbs it would be more clear if that’s they used the word carbohydrate.

Thinatlast thanks for all the encouraging comments, also for the links. I think the tips about excercising are really helpful, just doing anything to take your mind off the hunger for 5 mins seems to help me and then I find I am okay for another couple of hours. I thought exercise would be really difficult when fasting but morning after after fast on both days last week I went for a run as usual with nothing to eat before hand and was fine after. Only felt a bit sick after I finally ate breakfast so I think next week will have to have maybe half as much and then a mid morning snack. Both husband and I are going well and looking forward to Monday and Thursday this week to see how we go on week 2. Am avoiding the scales until at least 2 weeks and will try to concentrate instead on how I feel and not what the numbers say. Ihaveawaist, I am going to check out that documentary you mentioned on Catalyst, sounds very interesting. Living with IBS all my life I am keen to pick up any tips or ideas that could help. Aitchbee, I cut wheat out of my diet last year after being seriously sick for about a week. The skin rash I had on my chin and face which I had been treating with antibiotics for several years went down considerably. It’s not perfect now but I am off the antibiotics and its seriously better than before. Other people I have spoken to have also cut out sugar.

Hi Aitchbee, and everyone else in the SH
    Did you consider before going lactose free trying A2 milk? Many have found the A2 better as you are no longer consuming the A1 protein which is a relatively new thing in the type of milk that cows produce. As the dairy industry has chased higher production it has been at the expense of the A2 protein, which is what cows milk originally contained. A2 protein is much more digestable than the A1 and many people have reported the loss of tummy bloating, upset tummies and rashes going away.
    I milk cows part time but I am unable to drink the milk from the dairy as the girls are mostly black and white Holstiens. These girls are likely to be less than 40% A2. For the past two years my boss has been using semen for A2 bulls but that will take some time to change the herd. For me to be able to drink milk we buy the A2 from the shop. Next year I hope to be able to milk one of my own girls as they are Fleckviehs, second only to Gurnsey in the percentage that are A2.
    Just a bit more food for thought for everyone. πŸ˜‰
    Enjoy fasting this week everyone, no mater which days you choose.
    Charlie

Hi Charlie

I agree re A2 milk being far easier to digest. I switched to A2 milk in 2007 in NZ and all my bloat symptoms went away. Good luck with the cows.

Bay πŸ™‚

Thanks so much for explaining A1 and A2 so well for us Charlie, at last some words of wisdom on milk that actually make good sense! How’s things going on your farm? Looks like your own cows are doing well, I bet they are good looking girls too!

Here we’ve had a really wet cold few days, and my garden refreshed and tank is full, but the guests I massage at the resort don’t like this weather at all, I guess it kind of puts a dampener on going out and enjoying the lovely beaches, going to the local markets and eating at the outdoor cafΓ©s. So they’ve all been getting massages instead, and I’ve been massaging my bottom off! Haha! It does seem to be getting smaller, which is rewarding in itself, and giving massages is also a great way to burn calories….yesterday I could have done with a nice long massage myself, but had a hot bath instead with candles and a big glass of red.the next best thing I could come up with.

Well I’ll guess I join you in imagining myself ice dancing away my aches and pains, with a little blast from the past….with Torville and Dean doing their thing to the sounds of the pan flute. Remember the enchantment and wonder of their daring moves and grace? Wish it was me instead of Torville.

Cheers dears!

Hi IHAW,
    thanks for the recommendation for the show, will definitely check it out.
    Thanks all for the welcome, it’s great to know you’re out there.
    I hope you’re all doing well and hanging in there. How did the night shift go (sorry, can’t find the post so not sure anymore who it was)? I’m fasting again today and will be working later. Since it’s often so hectic I am optimistic that I won’t notice the hunger as much as I did on my first fast day when I was a bit sad and working at home…
    I’m planning to play it by ear re which days I’ll fast on rather than having set days.
    I drink loads, so I suspect the headaches are from low blood sugar. I’m hoping regular fasting will help reset my metabolism (which seems to have switched to ‘fat store’ mode since I hit my forties)…
    Have a lovely Sunday, Sue

Hi Pattience,
    thanks for your informative post.
    Will check out the nutrition wonderland website.
    I am committed, in fact, so happy to have a ‘diet’ that seems both doable and effective, not to mention the health benefit ‘side effects’.
    I am logging and definitely intend to keep doing that, as otherwise I can’t keep track and am in danger of going way over.
    I got two different values when I calculated my TDEE on two different sites, one was above 600! I think it’s important not to get too uptight and will have a latte today and continue to have milk in my tea, not start drinking it black because it’s a fast day. I’d rather go 30 cal over and be in a better mood.
    Sue

Hi IHAW,
    My cows are doing fine and thanks for asking. We have had very little rain here the past month, but frost up until a week ago. Last couple of days have been in the twenties which puts one in a much better frame of mind for fasting. But we could do with a little rain.
    Had two good fast days last week and managed to get things moving down again after two months of nothing, at least on the scales, but I have had to take in the waist of all my trousers another two inches. I now have a waist measurement for two sizes below what I am. I never thought I could get my waist below 100cm but I well and truly have so now I am believing that I can get it below 80cm like they say we all should. Off to do a dance with the vacuum, feel like some Irish Riverdance. What an influence you have become IHAW. πŸ™‚
    Cheers, Charlie

Yay Charlie! Well done on your shrinking waist, that’s what I love about this WOL, it works!

All the luck of the Irish to ya! I’ll join in with a reel and a jig in your honor!

Good morning SH fasting friends.

Charlie, great clear explanation of A2 and A1 milk and thanks.

Like you we have had sunny days and frosty mornings but could really do with some more rain – had to water my pot plants yesterday. Not such an issue for me but thinking of all the grain growers who will be looking for more rain to fill the heads, and pastoralists who need a bit more for feed growth. This month here the average August rainfall is 147mm and we have so far only had 46mm – going to be a looooong summer if we don’t get much more.

Fasting tomorrow and Tuesday as usual for me – need it because have had a horrible cough and clogged sinuses and been craving (and succumbing to) sweet comforting carbs like biscuits.

Keep up the good work everyone!

I thought chicken soup was the thing for coughs and colds and feeling miserable. You know what they say about feeding a cold. Its for the vitamins. For clogged sinuses from a cold, i have found a panadol helps enormously and it enables me to get to sleep when otherwise i can’t because of the pain of a stuffed nose. I also take lots of rest when i have a cold and this helps me get over it all much faster. Colds are the pits.

“Headaches and migraines caused by fasting may not always be due to hypoglycaemia, for example they can be caused by the stress-hormones released by the body during fasting. They are also often triggered by dehydration and lack of sleep. Changes in caffeine intake, for example by drinking less tea or coffee, and changes in smoking frequency also often trigger headaches and migraines.” from http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-hypoglycaemia-and-migraine-10907

I doubt we’d experience stress hormone type headaches from a one or two day low cal fast. I didn’t get any on my one day water only fast. Its more likely dehydration due to loss of body salts. You can drink water til the cows come home but if your body salts are low you can still be dehydrated. Remember the experiment with the frog in school. You need salt in your body to absorb water through your membranes.

Hi Nicky
    Sorry to hear you have a bug. Lots of it going around all over Aust. It is always the way at the end of winter, isn’t it?
    A couple of fast days does seem to “clear the system” though.
    We will be in Port Lincoln tomorrow for a fast day, so plan to eat some of the local seafood with lots of lettuce. Should work.
    Hope your health improves.
    Cheers to all the other SHs. PVE

Hi all. I swapped my fast day from Monday to today because I am working tomorrow and I don’t usually, so thought it would be better to swap. It seemed easy but then tonight I had a cup of home made pumpkin soup with no cream and the a piece of soy and linseed toast (burgen bread) and topped it with taco mince I had made the kids. Then I looked up calories for taco mince and ……. Oh dear. I am hoping I have only gone over the 500 by 50 cals max (I had brekky too).

So sorry for waffling on there….. But do people take off calories on the fasting day for exercise? So I walked briskly today for 40 mins, so I probably was under 500 if I take that into consideration?

Thanks πŸ™‚

Hi Alison
    (I’m escaping watching Dr Who!!)
    No you don’t alter how much you eat on a fast day. The extra exercise is just a bonus. If you went over today, c’est la vie, but don’t make it a regular practice.
    Try to keep below 500 cals (I usually do 350) and try to have a long non eating interval. (eg dinner until a late brunch, then nothing until dinner, then nothing until breakfast.) It is the long non eating periods, as well as the low cal, which allows the body to heal itself.
    Don’t be tough on yourself. Just remember to avoid the situation where you might be tempted on fast days.
    All the best, PVE

Hi SH mates!

Pattience, thanks for advice on chicken soup – I had already had a big bowl of it for lunch on both Saturday and yesterday but, unfortunately, it didn’t stop the other cravings.

Hi Purple, I hope you enjoy Port Lincoln. Fantastic fresh seafood available, so good for light eating!

Happy Monday fasting all.

Hi everyone! It is officially the last week of winter and I cannot wait for spring. The Cootamundra wattle is already out in Harden NSW.

I’ve been meaning to say a big thanks to Charlie G for sharing that info on A1 and A2.

I have a question for “active” fasters. I run, work out or play netball every day of the week – sometimes more than one per day. I usually run in the morning before work but I find that exercise makes me hungry.

Does anyone have a timing strategy for exercise and food on fast days? My new plan is to run straight after work (even though it will be dark) and then eat right away. I’d love to hear how other people manage this.

Eating after your run sounds smart. EAting after work sounds smart too.

When i used to run a lot, i always liked running in the afternoon. I’ve never been able to do it in the morning.

Hi Charlie, thanks for your comments regarding the A2 milk. I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner, but I didn’t jump onto the forums yesterday. I used to purchase lactose free milk all the time but once I had kids all that went out the window. The amount I was spending on milk at one stage I couldn’t afford for it all to be lactose free! I’ve just recently decided that it makes more sense for me now to embrace the lactose free and gluten free lifestyle I used to follow pre-kids. So I’ll check out the A2 and see how it goes.
    H

Hope that all Monday Fasters are coping well with the day as I am about to have my Miso soup.
    Not too sure if having the soup is breaking the 12 hour rule or not but a mug does help get me through the day.

A very interesting article in todays SMH on the Worlds Best Diet. I have a lot of respect for one of the authors Prof Jennie Brand-Miller. Here, http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/worlds-best-diet-revealed-by-scientists-20140824-106l0i.html

My reading of ” THE ” diet is that it is almost what we do except we add fasting into the mix.
    Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hi all, due to a glitch in my system, I thought no-one had posted since my last one a few days ago and now I see that I have several pages of reading to catch up with…..thanks for all the insights.

We had a successful third fast day yesterday, Sunday. Kept busy and worked through the ‘hungry’ bits which seemed to peak shortly after eating or drinking. Makes the science of consuming low GI foods more poignant. It also makes me want to try and build up to fasting all day and then eating a higher calorie meal late in the day.

In the meantime, I’ve been reading a lot – and the advice is sometimes conflicting. Can I confirm with others my interpretation that it doesn’t matter when during the fast day you eat/drink your 500/600 cals? In a comparison study of various fasting methods, I read that the 5:2 was defined by the calories being divided between breakfast and dinner – which was not my understanding.

Tarkeeth, does the ’12 hour rule’ state that you must not eat for a full 12 hours at some point during a fasting day, say 7am-7pm? I’m a bit confused about this with our ‘fasting day’ not actually being a fasting day but a ‘severely restricted calorie day’. Sorry if I’m being totally thick but we’re currently consuming our 500/600 cals throughout the day. Is this not correct?

Hi thinatlast, I’m on my third fasting day today, a newbie just like you. I finished reading the The Fast Diet book yesterday and it indicated that while a longer fast period is ideal, specifically 12 hours, it is not absolutely necessary as long as you keep to the calorie intake. It mentioned several different techniques to complete the fast and, from my understanding of the information I read, I think it is just best to work with a method that suits you best. This is supposed to better YOUR lifestyle. 12 hour fasts might suit some people best, but it might be a goal you aim for rather than try to attempt it while starting out. I rarely eat breakfast before 10 am so it is easier for me to have something to eat at lunch and then again at dinner. But when you take into account the night time fasting I would have two stretches of 12 hours between 10pmish and late morning the next day, because the fast really goes for 36 hours not 24 when you factor in the night fasting. Hope this helps.
    H

Yes, thanks very much HB, that does help. I look forward to comparing notes with you in a few months’ time as we started at the same time – along with several others now in their second or third week.

Hi thinatlast, firstly as I understand it a 5:2 fast day is in reality a calorie restriction of 500/600
    per day. It does not mean NO food as we accept the word fast.

Your not being thick it took me ages to sort it out a bit before my first post. There are 3 time frames for FDs. 24hours ,which means Dinner to Dinner so you would have all your 500 calories at dinner at the end of your 24 hours.16/8hours which is from dinner to lunch next day then dinner at night. How you split the Cals up for the 2 meals is whatever suits your own life style.
    36 hours is 3 by 12 no food periods. From dinner to breakfast then to dinner and again to breakfast. So 2 meals in 36 hrs
    This is what I do. The whole idea of the long time between meals is to let our bodies repair themselves without having to process food. This is where I think all the benefits come from in our 5:2 diet.
    People have all sorts of programmes that suit themselves from times to how they split their cals.
    I still haven’t got my head around it all! Hope this helps.

As you know I asked the question does Miso soup of 22cals count as food? its all I have during my second 12 shift!

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hello Monday fasters.
    Third fast today and doing pretty good but oh so tired. Had a nap around 2.30 after eating around 11.30 just couldn’t keep eyes open. Had milk in coffee just because.

Thanks Tim for asking the ? about miso soup adding towards the 500/600 cals, I too was wondering. Read a post today about the additives E600’s which includes msg in some brands so mine went in bin today. I’ll look for an organic one. Don’t need msg making me even hungrier.
    I had to visit osteopath today and very embarrasingly my stomach sounded like a caged lion…lol!!!
    Lost 2 kg in first week and feel much better in myself already….yay!!

Thank you Tim. I was getting confused by the term ‘fast’ being used while effectively encompassing the act of eating, albeit restricted calorie eating. I do understand the benefits of the fasting process in its true sense so I couldn’t quite work out how ‘a bit of food or drink’ would be OK.

In effect then, we’ve not been doing it as intended. I do appreciate your help in clarifying this. 12 hour fast does mean 12 hour fast, not sprinkled with calories here and there. In that sense, I think you would be breaking your fast with miso soup just as I would be with my herbal teas (5 calories). Surely the only thing you could have during a 12 hour fast would be water?

Jaksee – well done! Had a good laugh about the caged lion!

Hi – Melinda from Goulburn, NSW, Australia. Haven’t weighed myself yet but definitely have more energy and my wedding ring is fitting looser. Happy with the results so far, especially once I realised I could spread my calorie intake across the day (duh!). I was white-knuckling it til about 4pm and received a blessing. A phone call from a friend who is also doing the diet, who explained it to me. I still have a habit of waiting up til midnight then having a few chocolate biscuits. Is this cheating???? Thanks.

Evening kiddies!
    Wow this thread is uber active. Great to see so many helpful tips and hints πŸ™‚

Today was my first fast day for the week and I actually decided to have my fast day (normally it’s on a Tuesday) so as I had a workout today I was a bit anxious that I wouldn’t be able to achieve much.
    As I’m sick I didn’t go hard but I still did enough to get a bit out of breath. I felt good afterwards but ravenously hungry *chuckle*. I’m still pretty hungry now even though I’ve had my evening ‘meal’ of cottage cheese and fresh strawberries. I know, it sounds disgusting right? but after several years of low sugar/low carb diets to me it tastes like strawberry cheesecake.

But surviving relatively well. Since I started fasting this time last week, I’ve gone down 3kg. Not to say that that’s a normal loss, I think a lot of that has been water retention. There’s a good chance that there’s probably only been 500g of actual fat. But I’m very pleased with even that much lost over 2 weeks. I plan to have Thursday as my second fast day so I’ll see how I go then. Cheese on toast for breakfast…YAY! Heh.

Hi Thinatlast and Melinda. Re not doing it properly i.e. fudging a bit here and there, some of the Fems who post have quaint ideas! but the point is that it works for them and lets face it thats what counts.
    The general opinion seem to be that one can have Black coffee and Tea and an oxo cube etc. As I am now below my target weight I do allow myself 100ml milk in my coffee on one of my 2 FDs I think I would have to agree that I was fudging BUT only a little bit.

Zoedog its a great mob here. Can I suggest if you already haven’t done so read the book and the FAQ at the top of this page they are fund of info.
    To help you out I suggest you send me your supply of choc biscuits then you won’t be cheating, but only if they are double coated πŸ™‚

Cheers,
    TIm.

Well Tim, as you’re below your target weight, I agree you have earned the right to fudge a bit here, chocolate biscuit a bit there…..(could I have the fudge recipe please?)

Kits: cottage cheese and strawberries sounds pretty tasty to me, even more so if you can visualise it as strawberry cheesecake. Too funny. Maybe we could collectively come up with similar ‘recipes’.

Melinda: you have made my day waiting up until midnight to eat cookies. And there I was hating myself for having 30 gms of baked beans and half a crusket in the middle of the day.

Hi Tim and all your mates
    You are doing a great job supporting all the newbies. On you, mate!
    We are off travelling the wide brown land, so I rarely get a chance to read the SHs at the moment.
    I agree utterly with Tim folk. Make sure you read Michael’s books. You need to understand the reasons for this way of eating (woe) and how to do it. It is much more than a weight loss diet. It actually allows your body a chance to heal itself. Lots of us who have been on it for a while have found significant health improvements (diabetes, blood pressure, IBS etc) The weight loss is fabulous and allows massive increases in exercise, but it is not a short term diet it is a way of life (WOL).
    Most of us find we can relax a fair bit with our normal food intake on non fast days once we have reached our goal weight, but we need to continue two fasts a week for life. The fast involves 1/4 or less of your daily calorie needs. It is preferable to limit your eating of these calories to one or two “meals” over a 36 hour period, once you are used to it. This gives the body plenty of down time to heal.
    This fasting really does work. All the best. PVE πŸ™‚

Thanks PVE and everyone who is so supportive. Thanks Tim for reminding us to check the FAQs because I could have answered my own question had I read through them again before posting.

β—’Do the calories have to be in one meal or spread across the day?
    There have been different studies using different approaches. People who took part in Dr Krista Varady’s studies of Alternate Day Fasting (ADF) had just one meal a day, at lunchtime. Those who took part in Dr Michelle Harvie’s studies of the 2 Day Diet at several small meals a day. Michael prefers having two meals a day, breakfast and an evening meal. Mimi prefers several small meals. Which approach is better? The one you can stick to. Some people find, for example, that eating breakfast actually makes them feel hungrier later in the morning.

A good reminder that we’re all different.

Whoever mentioned the Best diet in the world, i think its sounds about the same as the CSIRO total wellbeing diet and i would say that the Danish lot are years behind going on what was said in that article. Tehre’s nothing said about fat which turns out not to be as bad as we’ve been told for many years in fact low fat may actually be bad. Yes i agree low GI carbs are great and the best carbs, not the least because they are often so high in fibre. From watching that show on catalyst the other night, assuming the science is correct, (it was certainly more convincing than the arguments for the 5:2 diet in terms of health and longevity) then fibre is going to be latest great food and it really does sound more like a superfood than any other so-called superfood i’ve ever heard talk about. Although of course fibre is not a food but a component of food and nothing would ever induce me to take a fibre pill.

For those who missed it watch catalyst – gut reaction shows 1 and 2 on you tube or iview. The crux of the matter is that fibre is broken down into short chain fatty acids called acetate which circulates throughout the body and works at preventing and curing a great variety of diseases and seems to do a pretty good job as well. So unlike many things, it does seem the more fibre you can eat the better. Given that african tribe exemplified in the show eats between 50 and 200grams of fibre a day and is obviously very healthy. Yes that’s a huge amount of fibre. But i’m willing to try to eat 50g per day if i could figure out how to do it. Maybe it would involve getting all my protein from vegetable matter only and not dairy. I must look into that. The tribe is the Hunza tribe.

ON the other hand, the longevity claims of the fasting diet are not by any means clear cut. There is no scientific consensus on these matters and some say you need to live the fasting diet from youth to get the benefits. Consider especially that it takes 12 hours just to turn the healing gene on/off as the case may be. So to get the benefit of it, you must then do a few more hours of fasting to give it time to do some work.

So i’m just doing the fasting diet for weightloss and if it happens to have other benefits, great. IT seems like a pretty easy way to maintain a low body weight. Though i must say i blew it last night. At 11.35 after a stupid second glass of wine, my judgement was destroyed and i wanted to eat stuff. I should have gone to bed hours before that but i had been in tired in the morning and slept. So my latest tip on that score is don’t ever sleep too much during the day on a fast. I have slept to good effect during the day but you’ve still got to go to bed early in the evening. And don’t ever have more than one glass of wine. Although i’m sure none of you would dream of even taking a sip in the first place.

Anyway so now i’m going to leave my next fast until next Saturday and do the two together which i think i prefer. But i also think that while its easy to be strong in the beginning of doing this diet, its may be harder for someone us as we go along.

What i do know though is that, i have understood that there’s nothing like a fast to kick start a diet. It changes your appetite, in a good way.

Good morning SH mates and welcome to our new recruits.

Good news last night on the (usually bad-) TV news that the food pyramid is being revised with fruit and veg in the ‘eat most’ category, and carbs banished to a lesser status than proteins. It’s what most of us have known for a long time, or at least since adopting this WOE.

Second of my two B2B FDs and yesterday was easy. In fact they are getting easier and I hardly think of food from breakfast until time to cook dinner, even if there are yummy things put out on the lunch-room table after some corporate event (my office is on the same level as the Board Room). Purple’s mate Mr Will Power seems to have cloned himself and come to stay with me too. πŸ™‚

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Hi,
    Started Aug 18th. Using Monday & Thursday’s for my Fast days.
    3rd Fast day today. Had one 500 cal meal for supper + loads of water all day. No Vino =(
    Feeling pretty good. Anyone else on their 2nd week?
    Well off to put the kettle on! =)

Hi I’m in Queensland and have been on the diet now nearly 4 months. gone from 59.5 to 56, pretty happy with that. BUT here’s my question.

If one fasts from 2pm in the afternoon to 2pm the next day surely that is quite different to fasting from when one goes to sleep say at 11pm until breakfast the day after the next? i.e.: not 24 hours but rather 32 hours?

I know in the book Mosley seems to suggest you can do either but surely one is quite different from the other???

Hi Judy
    Totally agree, although most of us do 36 hours…after dinner until breakfast. So, eat a normal dinner, eat only 1/4 of your TDEE (or less) the next day, go to bed and eat a normal breakfast when you wake up.
    The 2pm to 2pm “fast” is not at all the same. I don’t know why they included it, either. PVE

I’m doing back to back fast days this week so I can attend a birthday dinner for a friend tomorrow night. This morning I feel a bit dizzy but otherwise very alert.

Hi all,
    great to read all your posts, very affirmative and informative, thanks so much!
    It seems there are a few of us newbies out there, hi from Canberra.
    Hope those of you in dry areas got some good rain too last night. It poured here.
    Thanks to the experienced fasters (oldies doesn’t sound so good!) for the support and answers.
    My second fast day went well, I think fasting on a work day is possibly easier for me cause I don’t have so much time to eat or think about food.
    Will do it again on Friday and hope it won’t be too hard to have a meagre dinner at my sister’s.
    I finally bought some scales yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see lower numbers than expected. Unfortunately I didn’t have scales to weigh myself before I began, so don’t know my original weight, but 2 months ago it was at least 2kg higher!
    This morning I weighed a further kilo less, but I imagine that was at least in some part due to fluid retention, as my waist was 3cm smaller too.
    Whatever, I’m very happy to be below 80kg for the first time in years!!
    I guess my efforts before I started had paid off a bit too, and as many others have said, in between my fast days I ate less and more consciously too.
    So now I’m really motivated!
    I have felt pretty shoddy, though that might also be the time of month, and had difficulty sleeping with a grumbling tummy, am hoping it will get better.
    Keep up the good work and have a lovely day,
    Sue

Hi Sue and welcome.

Well done on starting this way of life (WOL). My weight only started to creep up after menopause but nothing much would shift it permanently but this lifestyle is so user-friendly I can see myself doing it forever.

If you haven’t read the book may I recommend it? The FAQ’s at the top of the page are also a mine of information.

Like you I fast at work both to be away from food at home and also because being busy helps keep my mind off eating. Although you’d never guess today by the number of times I’ve posted – only while taking a break of course πŸ˜‰

Keep up the good work, Nicky.

Hi Nicki,
    thanks for the welcome and comments.
    I have done a lot of reading and saw the original show. As the bookshop didn’t have Mosley’s book I bought Kate Harrison’s 5:2 diet, which I found very user-friendly. I liked the personal touch with her diary entries and quotes from the fb 5:2 group she started, and the fact that she gave the basic facts and provided references (including of course, Mosley himself, and the BBC show, which was the inspiration for her to give it a try), for those who wanted to dig deeper into the scientific background.
    Plan to borrow The Fast Diet from a friend (when she can bear to part with it!)
    Sue

Hi Sue
    I have used Kate’s book extensively. It is very user friendly….especially the graphs and calorie lists at the back. She also has a Recipe book.
    All the best PVE

Suetee: You might be able to download the ‘Fast Diet’ as an ebook from your library in the meantime. I got that as well as Mosley’s ‘Fast Exercise’ from mine.

Dublin: yes, we’re also on our 2nd week, started on 18 August.

I think it would be great if forum users’ personal profiles included date commenced, (we could see at a glance who are our gurus and who’s just starting with us), geographical location and updates like weight loss to date along with some of the medical benefits that users have experienced. One of the things that I found very encouraging was reading forum entries from people who’ve adopted it as a WOL, some of whom have now been doing it for years. It’s impractical to read all the entries so, over time, some of the interesting things about people on these pages just get lost in space. Of course, some people might prefer to remain completely anonymous.

Strangely, I find I’m actually looking forward to our fast day tomorrow. A bit weird maybe but I think I like the security of knowing what to expect and what I can eat. And I’m even more excited about weigh-in day on Thursday. I just want to hurry the whole thing along and wish I’d started when I first heard about it last year.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,151 through 2,200 (of 28,016 total)

You must be logged in to reply.