Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,301 through 21,350 (of 28,011 total)

• PS Neil, just saw your post. Hope you can share a meal with your wife, but remember you don’t need to eat it all anyway. Once you are eating more than you need you are making your body into a rubbish bin. Better to let it go in a real rubbish bin. (This is what I have to tell myself at these times).
    Good luck sorting out your strategy!

Neil, my hubby talks fondly about visiting Cobb & Co as a boy growing up; his Mum used to take him to swimming lessons and they would always stop on the way home just the two of them. But yes, it doesn’t sound like the healthiest of eateries. Sharing is a good idea or, as Cinque said, just listen to your body, eat slowly and stop before you are stuffed

Good luck!

Wednesday 9am in the freezing cold Flinders Ranges. Minus 2 degrees this morning. Had to scrape the ice off the car windows……brrrr.

Like Ljoyce our supermarket catalogues (coles, woolies and foodland) are put in mailboxes. As I live in a small town with no mail service the catalogues are thrown in driveways. I have a ‘No Junk Mail sign on my fence as I have the coles app on my phone and check the weekly specials there. The added bonus in using my Flybuys card when I shop at coles is I receive an email each week showing me all the items that I buy regularly when they are on special. I save heaps on coffee, tea, grass fed meat and my veggies that way and always buy in bulk. I dislike shopping at woolies and our foodland supermarket is small so has limited variety but the upside is they do stock a lot of South Australian produce and products.

Great article Ljoyce on ferments and yes little and often is correct. Sauerkraut for example 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon with each meal or once a day will suffice. I’m down to my last jar of sauerkraut so made a huge batch on the weekend using red cabbage and wombok.

I’m off to Adelaide next week for 4 days for work so as usual will scour the health food shops for lots of goodies to bring home. I pack as little as possible in my suitcase for the flight down so I can fill it up with goodies and not go over the baggage weight limit on the return flight home.

Must go do some work. FD for me today

I really hate to waste food, especially meat because I hate the idea that an animal has given its life only to be thrown in the bin because my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Last family dinner my wife and I shared a meal because they were pretty big, she’s tiny (4’11” and only about 50 kilos) so she doesn’t eat a lot anyway, I guess we’ll get away with sharing one on Friday too.

Of course my boys won’t have any issues polishing off a starter, mains and dessert and then looking around for seconds.

Good morning cyber friends, just dropping in to say I’m alive and well. You might be interested to learn that I’m having a strange type of Wednesday FD. I have lost more weight than I wanted (5 years ago, I would have never have dreamed I’d ever write those words!) and staying around 57.3kg so decided to revert to 6:1 just for a short while starting today (Sundays). But, set in my ways, I did have one A&C coffee and will have a leftover FD meal tonight. I’m now having a frothy coffee! So weird for a Wednesday. I hope that milk doesn’t spark any food desires.

A few days ago I skimmed the posts and read the possibilities about what might be happening in my life. Hilarious, Cinque. The full report on how to lose weight without 5:2 follows but I’m experiencing one of those life with a capital L things that Intesha and Merry talk about. Only kidding about abandoning 5:2. I will never give it up.

By now Quacka will be on holiday (hope the flight was OK), LJ will be the full bottle on bridge and everyone will be reporting good health and weight loss where desired. I miss everyone and wish I had time to read what’s happening in your lives. Take care all.

Thin, so lovely to hear from you but I’m worried about you and I miss you. I hope you are ok but please take care and let us know how you are going. It doesn’t matter that you aren’t able to read our posts, we just want to make sure you are ok

Neil, in the early days you may have finished your sons’ leftover – perhaps now they can finish yours? But I do agree with Cinque, just because someone puts it on your plate, it doesn’t mean you have to eat it all. If I know I’m going to be too tempted by something I either ask for it to be left off of my plate or I find a grateful recipient as soon as my plate arrives. That way the temptation is removed – chips are something I often do this with.

Thin, thanks for popping in. Hope you are ok and the issues you are dealing with are under control soon.

GDSA, even in Adelaide it can be challenging to find a good health food shop these days. I live near Marion shopping centre, which is huge, but they don’t have a decent health food shop. I usually find myself driving back to the Organic Market in Stirling for things I can’t get near me.
    When you made that comment about the processed food in the catalogue I knew you were talking about the Coles one because I’d read it that day and thought something similar.

Cinque, When I tried making the custard tarts, I made the pastry from scratch. It was the rolling it up and cutting rounds that caused all my problems, because you need to get a sealed disc of pastry that won’t let the custard run through and I found it hard to achieve that with a spiral. I probably need to watch a professional do it so I know where I went wrong.
    I tried the quiz and assumed initially that maize would be number one (mostly because of the huge quantities of corn syrup that are produced), but I wasn’t that surprised by the sugar.

Anzac, I know it’s moving slowing, but your weight is creeping down.

I’ve had a challenging food morning. Lack of sleep and too many pain killers had me up a couple of hours before dawn. The lack of sleep had me craving carbs. I knew by mid morning that I’d need a good lunch otherwise I’d be snacking all day. So I switched my meals plans and made the roast for lunch. It was wonderful and included 6 different veg of many colours. I feel full and not tempted to snack on anything now, so it seems to have worked. I’ll have my planned lunch for dinner.

The first pound has gone. Off out now to the gym.

Just a quick hello and goodnight because I’ve spent too much time researching some things for work and reading up on a couple days of posts I’ve missed here. DS had yesterday and today off of work so we all had some larger meals and our Monday FD was delayed til Wednesday and so the Thursday will be moved to Friday. I much prefer having 2 days between FD’s but don’t want to fast on Sat, so….

Welcome back, Penguin! I’m sure you are an expert at getting holiday weight gains off by now. A lot of that is probably water weight. It’s good to have you back.

Lyndsay, I hope you’re doing better and that we hear from you again soon.

Good to see you again, thin. Great to hear that you’re maintaining your 57kg weight. You must be really busy if you’re maintaining without too much effort. Hope all is going well.

Quacka, that food looks both amazing and healthy. What a great find in that restaurant.

Hi to LJ, Cinque, Anzac, Neil, and to our new members. I’ll post some more tomorrow.

Cinque, I am guessing your Darwin Chinese were originally from Macau. I haven’t been there since 1964, when I was working in Hong Kong. Compared to HK it was then a very gentle quiet place and I liked it a lot. The end of the Portuguese empire in Africa was messy, even more so than ours, but Macau was different. The level of racial integration seemed much greater than in HK and it seemed as though it could go on forever, whilst in HK the end was already in sight.

In the UK we have a thing called, at least by my family, a custard slice. This is a sandwich of two rectangular pieces of filo pastry with a slab of custard between them, the whole topped with icing. In calorie terms probably the equal of at least six pastel de nata. Dangerous.

Lyndsay. So many posts whilst I was away that I skimmed them and missed things. So belated good wishes. With luck by now you will be on the mend.

Anzac. Lisbon is a great walking town, although hilly in parts. One of the places that claims to be the home of Pastel de nata is just up the coast, the circular town tour bus will drop you off, but be prepared for a queue that goes around the bakery and out of the door.

Penguin, we have custard slice here too – another of life’s delights, although I must say I prefer them with a light dusting of icing sugar on the top rather than a layer of icing. If the pastry isn’t up to scratch I’ve been known to just eat the filling with spoon.

Cali, good to hear from you, I was wondering if you were ok.

Switching today’s meals around helped a bit, but it was a reminder that lack of sleep does my appetite no favours.

NFD Fess Up:
    Early morning: pot of tea, banana, 2 tsp peanut butter
    Mid morning: pot of tea, 2 wholemeal crumpets with butter & vegemite
    Lunch: roast lamb with onion gravy, roasted potato, parsnip, pumpkin and carrot. Also broccoli and kale-sprouts.
    Mid-afternoon: stewed apple and blueberries with yoghurt.
    Dinner: toasted rye sourdough with pesto, lean grilled bacon, boiled eggs and a tomato. Dessert was an orange.
    Supper will be a hot milk drink.

Hi all, I’m still here. Intermittent and slow internet plus having to buy a new iPad has made it a bit difficult to post

Cinque. I missed your birthday, belated good wishes. Sounds like you celebrated with the ones who care about you and it doesn’t get better than that. Thanks to you and everyone else who expressed sympathy regarding my sisters partner. His funeral was held in a small rural community and he was a popular person so it was well attended. Glad Miss 2 is okay, children don’t know they are supposed to convalesce and once the problem is fixed, they get on with their life. We can all take a lesson from them.

Lindsay. What a drama, at least you know that there was a genuine reason for feeling so bad. I hope you are well on the way to recovery and home soon. You will need lots of TLC for a while. I waved as I went through Brisbane today as I headed north. Perhaps we can get together on my way back home.

Calif. I looked at that info re sauerkraut. I hadn’t realised that it was so easy. I will wait till I get home to try it as temperatures are a bit too hard to control in a caravan. Thanks for the update on your DS, she is doing well and I’m glad your air conditioner is installed before the heat really gets going. I’m keeping an eye out for any tropical birds up here but so far have only seen some very large ducks which were resident at our last caravan park. Bobby took one look and decided they were too big to chase.

Anzac. Maxx is such a delight. Bobby is only 7kg but he sometimes seems to take up more than his fair share of the bed too. You might be interested in a podcast I heard recently. It was a Conversations with Richard Fidler and it was about memory. It was called The memory whisperer. The woman who was his guest is the current Australian memory champion for her age. She used a number of different ways to access her memories and has written a book. Don’t laugh, but I can’t remember the name of it but I was jogging at the time so not paying attention. I will listen to it again as I would like to improve my memory too.
    Well done on that lower figure, you will get there.

LJ No wonder you keep going to op shops and buying up a storm, you need a good wardrobe for all your social outings. Staying home must be a treat sometimes. I know what you mean about those cafe menus, it is a struggle to find healthy options. I understand now why my MIL always ate grilled fish where possible, it is often the only option.

Betsy. Bad luck with that groin injury, hope it gets better soon. Hope you get that data entry done, sounds like the old days when homework always got done at the last minute. You seem to be in control some days with your eating so that must help when you can’t quite manage it. Hang in there.

Chatelaine. Hi, I’m with you, I can’t imagine giving up sugar completely but Cinque is a special person with great resolve. Everyone here seems to lose weight differently. As many of us see this as a WOL (way of life) we don’t have a time frame or even a definite end goal. Just by following 5-2 you are doing your health a good turn and weight loss is a lovely benefit. Not to mention the new wardrobe and compliments.

Intesha I hope the Melbourne weather is kind to you. A bit of time away from your responsibilities will be very restorative and knowing you are there for your friend will be good for both of you.

Neil. You might be slowing down but you still going down. Have you reflected on what you have achieved. Poster boy for 5-2. And you are still living a normal life with social activities (and a few drinkies). How does your wife stay so tiny with all the great food you make?

Penguin. I’ve only had those custard tarts here and I’m sure they are better in Portugal. And that red stuff, either wine or port, that will derail you too. I like your attitude, salad veggies are in the garden and 5-2 up your sleeve, you have it covered.

Gday. I have heard the advice that we should only shop along the walls of the supermarket because that’s where the fresh food is, they really make their money from all the processed food so that’s what they promote. It’s up to us to buy the healthy stuff and ignore the rest. Good luck with your trip to Adelaide.

Quacka. What a wonderful treat, it must have been a very big fish and how obliging of the chef. You certainly got a bargain. I’m so pleased you have had such a wonderful holiday, I hope this has cured your fear of flying and you will now be looking forward to many more holidays.

We are now in Noosa, we stayed in the Gold Coast a few extra days and I had a great trip to Harbour Town, a big outlet shopping centre. I headed straight to the Rodney Clarke store and picked up 8 items for less than $200, the retail value was $430. Love a bargain. I’m certainly set for the warmer weather up here. I am still 69/70k but should have a bit more control of my food this week so hopefully I will go down next week. OH has lost another kilo and is quite pleased. I am still trying to get him to modify his drinking on NFD but that is a work in progress. I’ll finish here and look at the next page. I don’t want to lose this post

Penguin. You are right about the custard slices, we call them vanilla slices and they are very yummy but I couldn’t eat a whole one now.

Thin. Nice to hear from you, sending good wishes. Sensible to manage your eating so that you don’t get too low.

I have just realised that I am at my 6 month anniversary of 5-2. When I think back to the time before I started, it is hard to believe how much has changed. I had a healthy, functioning body which I wasn’t treating very well and I knew that eventually I would pay the price. I’m so glad I had the sense to take charge of my health and along the way I found this forum. It has been much easier to stay the course having your input and being part of such a supportive, fun and interesting group. Thanks

Klondi, Vanilla slices – should have remembered, we say that as well.

I have just been into town to, amongst other things, buy some kefir and sauerkraut. The Polish shop is shut and covered in notices saying it was closed by the council at the request of the police because of the anti-social behaviour of the people using it. I don’t remember being anti-social. I can only guess they were supplying things other than sauerkraut.

Anzac, thank you for your concern but please don’t worry. I am fine. I am hesitant to write much because I have told so many people about 5:2, that I feel some may be lurking and ‘following’ me here. A bit paranoid perhaps.

My ‘non-FD’ turned into something strange, starting with an A&C milk coffee and ending with a small square of chocolate. That’s because, confused, DD asked, “Mum, are you fasting today or not?” and then I knew there was a treat lurking. And since I didn’t think I was fasting, I ate it. Much better to have very well defined days/plans that everyone knows about. In between those things, I hardly ate at all (my Weds FDs are well-entrenched in my psyche) and this morning I am 56.6kg. Converting that to 125lbs makes it seem very low. So, I will stick to 6:1 for a while starting with Sunday’s fast.

Penguin, I loved those custard slices when I lived in England but wouldn’t touch one with a 10ft pole nowadays. Slippery slope. I tried a pastel de nata in Portugal. Delicious! So sorry to have missed all these posts, wondering if you’re in Portugal now.

Klond, Noosa is so pretty. Haven’t been in 30 years. Congrats on your 6 mos anniversary.

Lindsay, hope you’re soon better. You too Betsy.

6.30am and must get on with my drill. Have a wonderful day all.

Penguin. That action is generally only used for night clubs here and after lots of violence, what has your shop been up to? I’m sure the community grape vine will fill you in. Hope you can source such important items from somewhere else.

Hello everyone!

I dropped in a month or so again but hadn’t regained my 5:2 mojo. It’s back!! I’m currently hosting the June challenge (bashful face) but as most of the posters are in the northern hemisphere I’ve decided to jump on here for some fellow accountability during my waking hours.

I’m on a FD today but struggling!! Good to read a few pages of posts and see some familiar names. It’ all helps, that’s for sure!

Right, motivated again, I’m going to take my lazy rear outside for a brisk walk in the single digit temperature.

Good afternoon all. A quick post from me as, like Penz, I need to go for a walk before I head of to babysitting duties.

NFD has been easier today as I had a better night’s sleep.

Penz welcome back again. The things that work for me on FDs are to remind myself it’s just one day. Every time I want something I really can’t afford to eat on a FD I say “You can have it tomorrow”. Of course by tomorrow you won’t want it. You only want it today because you know you can’t have it.

Thin, maybe you could just think in holiday mode as I seem to remember 6:1 was your normal mode for holidays. I expect it won’t take many meals out to present themselves for 5:2 to become necessary again.
    Enjoy your Wednesday frothy coffees while you can.

Penguin, that does sound like drastic action for the local Polish shop.

Klondi, happy 6 month anniversary. Enjoy the weather up north, it’s a bit chilly down here. Not sure what’s happened to my calendar lately, quiet weeks are rare.

Lindsay, hope you are still improving and at home now.

I noticed the BBC food site was promoting high fibre recipes today (mostly veg and legume recipes). Most looked very appealing for winter time so I’m posting the link. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/high-fibre_meals

Have a nice day all.

Good afternoon, another sunny but cold day in Sydney. That said, I just looked out the window and it is now clouding over.

Congratulations on 6 months of 5:2 Klondi. I’m at about 8 months but I don’t want to think about it as then I start realising how little/slow progress I’ve had. I like to think ahead instead as well as realise that despite slow progress I am putting better things into my body all the time these days.

Your trip sounds awesome Klondi and Noosa is such a beautiful spot to holiday in. Glad too that your OH is doing well on 5:2. It’s hard to take a step back from drinking when you enjoy it – I know that from first hand experience. We have finally managed to knock the wine on the head mostly – but still have weak moments when we both cave and get stuck in. We are both extremists where it’s hard to stop at one.

WFH today (hooray) and had a great walk in the sunshine at lunch time.

Great idea to switch meals LJ and I totally agree that lack of sleep plays havoc with many things including appetite, will power and motivation to exercise. Glad you had a better nights sleep last night. I did too

Hi Penz, welcome back 🙂

Thanks for the info re Lisbon Penguin. I’ve put it in our ‘things to do’ column in our Lisbon page. Yes, we are documenting everything on a spreadsheet and it is getting bigger than Ben Hur but it is backed up to a remote device each day just in case it implodes.

A mystery indeed about the demise of your Polish shop penguin. This just adds to the vision with which my imagination pictures your lovely village/town. I picture a rural setting with much greenery, often misty and full of wildlife, birds and friendly dogs with wagging tails. Often can be seen tall men trudging into the forest with hounds at their side to forage for wild vegetables, returning triumphant with baskets overflowing.

Sorry….work is very stressful so I am taking time out to imagine lovely places where I can leave the office well behind 🙂

On that note, back to it. Sigh. Chat tomorrow everyone

Just home from babysitting sitting duties and thought I’d post while my dinner is warming up.

NFD Fess up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea
    Mid morning: banana spread with 1 tablespoon of nut butter
    Lunch: small bowl of cream of vegetable soup, sourdough with roast lamb and mint jelly. Dessert was 6 slices dried apple.
    Mid-afternoon: pot of tea, approx 50g cheddar and slivers of date-walnut log
    Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast with onion gravy. Roasted potato, parsnip, pumpkin and carrot. Kale sprouts and broccoli.
    Supper: cocoa

Fasting tomorrow. Standard winter fare is planned: a banana and a large bowl of veggie soup.

Despite a large plate of veg with dinner I was still hungry – probably ate it too fast. So I went looking for dessert and will need to amend my dinner accountability post:
    NFD Update:
    Dessert: stewed fruit (apple, blueberries & cranberries) with greek yoghurt.
    Also 2 squares of dark chocolate.

Hopefully that’s the end of it!

Morning! Brrr…..so very cold this morning but the sun is still shining. For now. A very wet weekend is forecast

I had a bad afternoon/evening with work yesterday and was very hungry (or so my stupid brain told me) and sadly raided the fridge a few times. Then had a big dinner and some wine. It was just one of those days. I feel disgusting today so am very glad it is a FD. Have had two black coffees and water and feeling a little better. The scales punished me of course. GAH

I need to get stuck into preparing for a meeting but just wanted to post my accountability. Will be back later

Morning all. I’ve decided on a strategy for this weekend to try and stop the binge. I’m going to try doing a milk fast. I’m going to eat nothing and instead drink 1 litre of Protein+ milk each day. The litre of Protein+ milk will give me the 60 grams of protein that I try to consume as a minimum per day and should be around 600 calories. I’ll see how I get on with that just as an experiment this weekend.

Anzac, I had a bad afternoon yesterday too, had some of the pear slice that I made for kids lunches, some leftover cream cheese icing that was in the fridge and nibbled away at the macaroni cheese I was making for the boys’ dinner last night while I was cooking. My dinner was a bit better though, I had some leftover dahl, curried livers and a couple of boiled eggs mixed in.

LJoyce – Yes, I found I needed to up my fiber intake so I’ve been adding plenty of legumes into my diet. I’ve found green lentils to be the best because they have both the highest fiber content of the legumes but also one of the highest protein levels. Dahl is a personal favourite.

Happy semi-anniversary on 5:2 Klondike. I’m at 5 months (well first 3 months were fast 800 and last 2 were 5:2) I’m set to go back to the doc on my 6 month anniversary next month to get my bloods done to make sure everything is still ok, I can’t wait to see the faces of the nurse when she sees me because I haven’t seen her since I was only 4 weeks in and still weighed 123 kilos. I’m now knocking on the door of double digits and starting to tone up. I’m really liking how my legs are looking now, and it’s been a LONG time since I’ve actually liked something about my body. I hope to be double digits by the time of my appointment, it’s 5 weeks away and I’m just 2.4 kilos away, so that’s an average of around 500 grams per week.

Ohhh, don’t get me started on custard squares! It was my favourite and is my oldest boy’s favourite. There is a local company that makes them and they even export them round the world https://www.denheath.co.nz/ Their custard is so good, it’s whipped up so it’s nice and light, unlike the gelatinous mess that you usually find in most café custard squares. Although of course these days I don’t eat them as much.

Have a great day everyone

My planned walk yesterday was a complete fail. I went down to the bowels of the office building, started to get changed, and the realised I’d left my walking shorts at home. I briefly contemplated getting out in my sneakers, sweatshirt and suit skirt and decided against it. Logged back here for support but there was silence!! Never mind, I dug deep, @ljoyce and reminded myself how much I enjoy the feeling after a successful FD. So much better than that face-palm regret.

Looking forward to our traditional family homemade pizza and red wine tonight. It’s usually an OMAD opportunity but today I’m catching up with a friend for lunch. I am promising myself a salad only.

Has anyone tried the egg fast? Thoughts? And speaking of eggs, enough talk of Vanilla Slice!! 🙂 They are one of my fav indulgences but do you notice bakeries never sell small ones!

Hi Penz, I’ve never done an egg fast before but I’m thinking it would be pretty good for a fast day now and then. With only 90 calories in an egg it means you could have like 9 of them during a day and still be within 800 calories. That’s 3x 3-egg omelettes!

I’ve been there before on the exercise. On Tuesday I usually swim laps while my boys are in their swimming lessons. This week I found I’d forgotten my goggles and said I’d give it a miss. My wife suggested that I pinch my oldest son’s goggles when he finished his lesson and I’d still get 30 minutes in while my youngest was in his lesson, but by then I’d already set myself up in a comfortable corner of the spa pool and I couldn’t muster the enthusiasm to move. I guess some days we’ll find any excuse to drop the exercise.

Forgive my ignorance but what is OMAD? I’m not really up with chat abbreviations, I’m still getting my head around FD, NFD and TDEE

Hi Neilithicman: OMAD is One Meal a Day – one form of restricted time-frame eating I spose.

I think the rationale behind the egg diet is an accelerated keto start. Or something. I quite like eggs but not sure that having nothing but eggs for several days in a row (I read that 5 days is recommended) would be enticing!

Anzac, we all have bad days. I have been known to have bad weeks, and before I started the 5:2 there were a number of bad years!

A few years ago any suggestion of eating multiple eggs would have been met with shock and horror – too much cholesterol – but they have been rehabilitated. An omelette is one of my regular FD main meals. Often preceded by hard boiled during the day, but I have never done nine and Penz has a point, after a few days of nothing but eggs it would start to feel like punishment.

It is now four days since the post holiday weigh-in and five of the seven pounds gained in Portugal have gone. It has not been hard, no water fasts. Yesterday was no breakfast, a fruit scone with butter and jam for lunch (shopping with OH) and a cauli/mac cheese, lots of cheese, followed by rhubarb and custard in the evening. We do seem to have a custard theme going. It was not hard I think because my body seems to have a weight/mass self image to which it returns easily and which it re-sets after a few weeks at a new weight. Unfortunately when I lose I need a few disciplined weeks to re-set at the lower weight.

For some reason I was thinking today was Saturday. Make that five pounds lost in three days. We are not yet back into our normal routine.

Hi everyone

Friday night now, we got home yesterday afternoon. It was a little cool when we landed but wow last night and today has been freezing! I’m sitting in front of the fire, still in holiday mode, but wishing I was looking over the ocean in Cairns instead…..

A funny thing (well kind of). Yesterday morning as I was looking out to the water and saw a man doing laps along the beach. Ummm, SWIMMING, laps along the beach! Crazy nutter. Or fool.

We did our river fishing trip on Wednesday morning and I spotted a crocodile as we were heading up the river back to the ramp. The skipper turned the boat around and we got a good look at him but then in a split second he flicked himself into the water and he was gone. It was so quick. No wonder people get attacked by them.
    The skipper told us that they are not as common in QLD as is made out but they are definitely still around. He said the Northern Territory is where the crocs are really thick. Refer to previous paragraph about swimmer.

Never mind about the crocs. We caught some amazing Queen fish. They put up the biggest fight and are actually quite big. I’ll try to post a photo later. We were really happy as the skipper let them all go except for two and you all know how we prefer catch and release to catch and kill. There was another guy on board who even said he is a catch and kill fisherman and the skipper let him keep the first one, but when he wanted to keep the next one (a big big one) he said no because it’s a female and a breeder and should be released. The guy asked how the skipper knew it was female and he replied because of its size but I actually think he was setting the standard early and making it clear that it was not going to be a ‘keep everything you catch’ trip. The second one that was kept was only allowed because it wasn’t going to survive anyway, unfortunately.

We had the most amazing time on our holiday. I was really surprised by how I handled the flying, I wasn’t even scared. When we first left the ground from Sydney I did get a fleeting moment of fear but it left as quick as it came. OH was loving it and was enjoying looking out the window and pointing things out to me. Can I say that it was fun? Lol
    On the way home the pilot said there was a strong tail wind and we got home much quicker than on the way up. That was weird. I have a lot to learn about flying still.
    It has definitely awakened something in us and we are planning our next holiday already. We are hoping to go over to NZ and maybe do the ‘hire a campervan’ thing, this time for about two weeks. 5 nights was not enough in Cairns so we hope to get back there again too and I would love to go over and see our dear friends in WA.
    Aaah, so much flying to catch up on lol

I’ve quickly caught upon everyone’s posts but can’t remember everything.
    I hope everyone is losing or maintaining as they want and I hope you are all happy and healthy. Especially you, Lindsay.

I apologise in advance for any typos as my iPad is playing up and I need a new one.

Back to normal next week and looking forward to FDs again. I haven’t weighed myself yet…..Wow, it’s been a week since I have weighed. That’s the longest in two years! I don’t feel like I have put on much and I don’t want to bring myself down by weighing. I think I am going to do my two normal FDs next week and THEN weigh. I think that would be better for my Quacky brain 🙂 🙂
    I like your idea Penguin, that whatever we have put on in two weeks can be taken off in the same time. In my case one week but the principle still applies. Thank you.

Ok best go. I’ve waffled on enough haha. Take care all x

Hi all

Penz. Welcome again, definitely the way to motivate yourself by hosting a Challenge. EST of luck for the rest of the month

Thin. Now I’ve had time to look around, you are quite right, Noosa is very pretty, lots of natural bush means there is not a huge amount of development except close to the beach. They have built a lovely boardwalk along the coastline and I was pleased how easy it was for me to walk up steps and inclines. Not big ones but I would have struggled last year.

LJ. ‘Eating too fast’. Ironic that even small things like that still hang around to trip us up. Your food choices are very healthy.

Neil. So you are trying a liquid FD, hope it helps. I have recently caught up with family who haven’t seen me since Christmas and the comments are very flattering. I found myself deliberately choosing my skinniest clothes to maximise the effect. Who says we aren’t doing this for vanity? Let us know what she says.

Anzac. Sorry you are doing it tough. And you were so glad when you got this contract. Saw an article on dogs recently, apparently they have evolved to use their eyebrows to make their eyes look bigger. Labradors have mastered this trick superbly.

Penguin. It is all your fault, all this talk of Pastel del nata. The cafe where we had lunch today had them and of course, see food, eat food so we ordered one each even though we were full. In my defence, I only ate 3/4 and was satisfied. Well done on your weight loss.

Scales were kind today, the second time I tried them and I’m back to 69k. That was before the Portuguese tart of course. 5k run tomorrow, that will help to offset it then off to Bundaberg on Sunday, home of one of the few alcoholic drinks I like, rum. Might revisit the distillery.

Cinque, I noticed you haven’t posted for a few days. Are you OK? Not like you. I came here to say I was thinking of you because I made Mung Bean Soup yesterday. My neighbour came round to ask what the fabulous smell was and ended up trying some and asking for the recipe.

Quacka, safely back already! The year my OH and I arrived in Australia, we didn’t know a soul and we spent Christmas Day on the beach in Perth where we exchanged our presents. I gave him a book entitled. “Dangerous Creatures of Australia” and he gave me one, “Crocodile Attack”. We’ve been too scared to enter the water ever since.

Klond, I bet those parts have changed in the decades since I passed through. I won’t return to Port Douglas as I prefer to remember it as a sleepy little fishing village. I also remember the Bundaberg distillery. I find their rum too sweet.

56.5kg after two NFDs. An all time low. I really don’t want to lose any more weight.

Saturday morning went well, 90 minutes at the gym, off to my favourite butcher to stock up on some meat for next week, down to the farmers market to stock up on blue cheese then back home for my first glass of milk. I’m making some paneer now then off to do some fence building. I survived the birthday meal last night, my wife and I shared a lamb rump meal, she had all the potato, half the meat and the salad, I had the other half of the meat and a side salad. My friends’ parents hadn’t seen me since her birthday last year so their first comment was “where’s the rest of you?” I was pretty chuffed with their comments. Have a good weekend everyone.

I am still alive! Lovely to hear that delicious mung bean soup is traveling further, Thin.

Hello everyone,
    I had a lovely, but tiring, day visiting my friend in the country, and then a sister visiting from the country, and she and my nearby sister helped me buy and install a new computer. It took all day and involved lots of stress, but we did it and my life is easier and more pleasurable as a result. I’ll be taking it easy over the weekend though.

Quacka, welcome home. So delighted to hear that your dreadful fear was dealt with so well and has moved nicely from phobia to sensible. And that so much fun was had.
    No matter how cold you are at the moment, your consolation is that it’s colder here!

Gday, brrr, it will be colder again at your home, I hope you are somewhere warm in Adelaide.

After I posted last I remembered I have some naturally brewed soy sauce and some particularly high quality fish sauce, as well as my delicious bonito flakes, to add to my list of fermented things 🙂 Little and often!

Neil, I know exactly how you feel about wasting food, I feel the same. And while I try so hard, I still haven’t, in my heart, accepted that eating it when it is excess to my requirements, is also waste. Thinking ahead is the best answer, so hooray for the way you and Mrs Neil managed it.
    Enjoy your milk!

Thin, I am thinking you are really busy with your project (running for council? bringing it down? organising the state bridge titles?). Being flat out puts food issues in the background (so long as we avoid junk food) and makes staying low weight easy.

Custard tarts, I can imagine the rolled up pastry of the Portuguese ones could be very tricky. I loved a good vanilla slice. Those lovely bite-size NZ ones look great! It was the cheap, claggy, vanilla slices sold in school tuck shops that earned the name ‘snot blocks’.

Sorry to hear about the Polish shop, Penguin, it sounds like a good source of great food.

Penz, lovely to have you posting here. I am glad you got through your difficult fast day. I bet you enjoyed every mouthful of your meal last night.

Klondi, happy anniversary!

Thanks for the BBC high fibre foods link, LJoyce, I love looking through them (and to share them myself).

Anzac, I love to think of you enjoying your weekend after a busy, hectic, week of work. I hope you are having a lovely one, with OH and Maxx.

Klondi, does your lovely catch up mean you have your new ipad? Say hello to the north from me. The shortest day is over and so there is optimism here, even though I know the worst of the cold comes over the next couple of months. I must look up the local season we are in now!
    I was glad to read what a lovely send off your BIL had.
    Hooray for kind scales, and smart Klondi, and Mr Klondi.

Day before fast day for me, and recovery day too after my busyness. I plan to do all the good things. And to grapple with my new email program. Sigh. Best wishes everyone.

Good Morning all, and a good different time of day to Penguin and Mrs P and CaliD,

Congratulations Neil! Well done on handling that meal.

Cinque – those pesky and irritating but wonderful computers. So good when they’re working well, and the vehicle to our 5:2 forum and this wonderful group of 5:2ers.

Thin- my best wishes to you and yours. I do hope your L life challenge is traversed with as much peace and humour as can be. Sometimes it’s like we stepped on a runaway train by mistake, and have to handle the speed till it chooses to stop at where we can get off. Take care. Know you are much loved and appreciated here. I know you’re in that weird place of being a bit less than you want to be, so I’ve converted it to stones + lbs, and if I may to reassure you, to relate it to my weight during my adult life for reference, as I’m the same height as you, and we’re both about the same skeletal size – neither very light or heavy. I see you are shifting to 6:1 for awhile and that’s a good strategy.

My weight went on after I became very ill 21 yrs ago, but most of my adult life I was a normal weight, in the lower half of normal weight, but still normal. It is easy to get things out of proportion when generally the population has moved towards overweight, and we see “normal” as being bigger than normal really is. By normal I mean healthy weight for body functioning, not statistically norm-al, of course.

For any lurkers,

1 stone = 14 lbs
    1 lb = 16 ounces

1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs

My usual adult weight was:
    9st – 9st 3lbs. Ie. 126lb – 129lb or 57.3kg – 58.6kg

At one time in my 20’s I had a tropical lurgy (stomach bug) for about 6 months that dropped me down to:
    8st 11 lb Ie 123lb or 55.9kg

Even though I was slim I was not otherwise unhealthy. During my adult life I didn’t get as many colds or the flu as much as others did and I was very fit and strong.

Thin, at first glance 56.5 looked a bit too low, but it’s 8st 12lb 5oz.
    Slim, but not worryingly slim, although it sits at the bottom of the healthy weight range, BMI about 19.

Bye for now,
    Merry

Unable to edit my post.

Thin, 56.5kg is a BMI of 19.8.

Unable to edit my post.

Thin, 56.5kg is a BMI of 19.8.

Hi all

Cinque. Yeh for new technology, you will not know yourself. Yes, I have my new iPad and I couldn’t believe it. To set it up, all I had to do was put my iPhone near it, push a few virtual buttons and hey presto, all my data downloaded. So easy. You are braver than me, I couldn’t bring myself to call them ‘snot blocks’. Be kind to yourself, I see the weather there is pretty ordinary. It was 25o on Noosa beach yesterday and I am threatening to get a watch mark. I am very fair and this is the only way I can tell I have had some sun.

Quakka. Welcome home even if it is to cold weather. What a lovely break for you and now the world awaits you. I can see you haunting the travel agents now. Many years ago, OH took a small catamaran out in Port Douglas and capsized it, easy to do and easy to fix. Afterwards he realised the salt water crocs could have been around. Didn’t do that again.

Thin. Definitely not a sleepy village but still not super developed. We will probably come back here on the way south and see some more.

We seem to have lost a few of our regulars. Rosy, Crazy and Turn, hope all is well with you

Morning Merry, and a good evening ? where you are.

Doing my FD’s on Wed and Fri this week felt strange, but I made it through without too much trouble. The upstairs thermostat for the new furnace and air conditioner decided to stop working early in the week. (It was the same one from the old furnace) so it took the rest of the week to get it sorted. Fortunately it was finally swapped out for a new one tonight and we have air conditioning again.

Thin, being a bit lower in weight than where you want to be sounds like a good problem to me! I hope life settles for you soon. 6:1 sounds like a good solution in the meantime.

Penz, welcome to this thread and welcome back to 5:2 again.

LJ, you always post the best recipe links! I will definitely try some of those from the BBC site.

Cinque, glad you got your new computer sorted. New computers are great, but getting settled into a new one is like moving house, usually with lots of stress involved. Technology moves so quickly that you can usually see a big improvement when you get a new one.

Penguin, good to hear that you’re making such good progress in getting the holiday weight off. Quacka, you will probably have the same experience. So glad that the flight wasn’t stressful for you. Your holiday sounds like it was lovely. Crocks are only in the rivers, right? They don’t go into the ocean, do they?

Klondi, you must have your new iPad after seeing your long post. I doubt you’d have the patience for that typing on your phone. Glad to hear your trip is going well.

Neil, I can’t wait to hear your doctor’s reaction to your weight loss. Perhaps he’ll start recommending 5:2 to other patients.

Anzac, glad your rough week at work is over. Hopefully next week will be an improvement.

Hello everyone, I’ve had to work all day so I just wanted to check in and say hi and I’ve read all of your posts and loved them but it’s 5.30pm and I need to go and help with dinner prep and have a quick play with Maxx.

I came and read the forum instead of raiding the fridge so how good is that? My hunger has now passed and I’ll settle for the nice healthy dinner we are having.

Hope you are all having a superb weekend.

Ha ha thin,you made me laugh when you said you haven’t been in the water since you came to Australia. You jest surely? If not I totally understand your fear as there is a real risk there just like flying, just like driving your car, just like eating popcorn (a big favourite of mine).
    Cali, actually crocs are usually found up the rivers, still salty or brackish, but not running fresh water. Usually. They can also be found on the beaches but not common, still a big possibility. Personally I think if you do stupid things like swimming/fishing at dawn and dusk and going anywhere near the water where the crocs are known to be, you are playing with fire. The fishing charter skipper told us about the man that got taken in croc waters spear fishing alone at dusk. He told us the cops came looking for him and the croc swam up to the boat and presented his body. The skipper said it was all territorial. Well, you want to play in their territory you need to expect them to react. Respect is what it’s all about.

Good evening all.
    Food choices today have been odd, mainly because I was up at 4am. Had trouble sleeping.

Quacka, I’m very proud of you for facing up to your fear of flying. Now that you know you can do it, might there be future holidays being planned?

Anzac, it’s sad that you’ve had to spend the day working. Hopefully playtime with Maxx will help. I’ve been out chatting to the labrador next door this afternoon. When it gets lonely it keeps bumping against the fence so I’ll go out and say hello.

Cali, I thought you heating/cooling were over! Glad that’s finally fixed. Has your summer gotten really hot yet, or is the worst still to come?

Klondi, enjoy the new ipad. I’m still dithering about whether I’d get enough value from one to justify the cost.
    Enjoy that QLD sun while you have it, you’ll be back to the cold rainy south soon enough.

Neil, isn’t it encouraging when people notice how much weight you’ve lost?

NFD Fess Up:
    Very early morning: pot of tea
    Breakfast time: banana and a tablespoon nut butter
    Mid morning: the crusts from a fresh sourdough loaf and a pot of tea
    Lunch: sourdough with salami, cheese and tomato
    Late afternoon: hot milk drink, 2 slices dried apple, 12 almonds
    Dinner: Scrambled eggs with toasted sourdough. Stewed apple & blueberries with yoghurt. Two squares of dark chocolate.
    Summer: chai tea with almond milk

Hi Penguin,

9.10pm here at home;
    12.10pm at yours, and Hi from Mr M😀

Our expat child has gone back to the USA, earlier this week, and it’s a few months till the wedding over there. We have another week here, then a week minding our grandkids, and then we’re off to the US to meet our future extended in-law family, do some wedding planning, a bit of shopping, and spend some more time with the happy engaged couple.
    So we’re getting ready for an International marriage and the inevitable “Where are they going to live?” question. A. There to start with.

Your grand daughter’s drawing is going with me to the USA in my Passport cover🙂I hope they’re both going well too. Please say hello to them for us. Lovely kids!

Mr M is doing well and now we just wait and see for awhile. He’s also been kept busy this year with practical stuff at home here for us and for a few others. We’ve been doing a bit of Fast 800 to get us to a couple of goals. I’ve just started working on another kg or 2, and still buying my Scandinavian kefir from the supermarket. I’ll get to making my own one day.

It seems I’ve missed the news about your Portugese holiday. Good to see you both made it in 1 piece this time, and I hope you both had a lovely holiday, as well as partaking of a few of those little tarts.

I wish we could just drive up the road a bit to visit.

Hugs to you both!
    Merry and Mr M

Merry, good to hear that Mr M is doing well. That will take some of the stress out of life. I will tell grand daughter about the drawing, which will please her. That grandson is now as tall as me.

There must be something about Portugal – this time OH came back with a broken bone in her foot and no knowledge of how she did it, even though she is the permanently sober member of the family. To be fair, that was the third visit to Portugal since we saw you, no injuries on the others.

I have to find a new source of kefir. The brew you saw became so active that we couldn’t consume it all, so I stopped. It is widely available in the supermarkets but usually pasteurised, which I try to avoid. To replace it I eat really active blue cheese, which amuses the family because until recently I would eat neither cheese nor tomato.

Merry, last year you had a major project nearing completion. With the distractions since did you get it finished?

Enjoy the trip to the USA, as much as any Mum can enjoy wedding planning. My Mother became seriously intense over my wedding and those for our kids were not drama free. The things causing the problems were not things we wanted for our wedding or the kids for theirs, it seemed every family member had an opinion on how it should be done and voiced it.

LJ, for your NFD Fess up you list Very early morning, Breakfast time, Mid morning, Lunch, Late afternoon, Dinner, and Summer. Summer?? Does that mean you were coming to have your Chai with me over here where it’s summer? 😁 That would have been very lovely indeed!

Merry, where in the USA is the wedding? If there is a question about where they will live, tell them to strongly consider health care costs. Health insurance in the US can be very expensive and pharmaceutical costs are outrageous.

Penguin, sorry to hear about Mrs. P’s broken bone in her foot. Does she have to wear a cast or anything to mend it?

I lost 500 grams on yesterday’s FD, so that makes me feel good. We’re having the neighbors over for dinner tonight so between food shopping and preparing and cleaning, I probably won’t get back here today. Hope you are all having a great Sunday.

Hi Cali. Because there was no history of impact damage the decision to do an x-ray was somewhat delayed, so some healing had occurred. The solution seems to be a built up shoe insert and more painkillers and anti-inflammatories until it sorts itself out. OH is not as mobile as before, but can manage to walk about 3 miles before it becomes too troublesome.

We have both spent the day on a working party in the village churchyard. OH was tidying up the vegetation and I was one of four moving old Victorian gravestones that had fallen over. Four of us could not lift them, so it was slide and shuffle. I feel as though I have had a very serious workout in the gym weight room.

Merry thanks so much for the info and statistics. It’s been a long time since I thought in stones and pounds. 8 stone 12 sounds nice and slim from my ingrained memories. Rosy will be envious of my BMI of 19! Where in the USA is the wedding? So pleased to hear Mr M’s news.

Quacka, all respect to crocodiles. I’m in awe of them. And no, I wasn’t kidding about going in the water! DD is a surfer which terrifies me. Billy Connolly once said that it’s a wonder any Aussie children ever grow up to be adults with so many things to kill them down here. Cali, we have crocs in the ocean at the river mouths in northern WA. Not many though – the sharks ate most of them.

Cinque, good morning fellow faster! A&C milk coffee happening. I’ve been up since 4.30am, drat. But it does mean a few quiet moments to check here.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,301 through 21,350 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.