Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,251 through 21,300 (of 28,011 total)

• Neil, you should probably buy a jar or tin of sauerkraut and see if you like it. It tastes like sour pickled shredded cabbage. I’ve loved it as long as I can remember. I add a little caraway seed to mine for added flavor when fermenting it. It’s easy to ferment. I slice cabbage into a big bowl and add salt that isn’t iodized. I weigh the cabbage and do a pound and a half at a time. I add 2 US teaspoons of salt per pound, which comes to 1 tablespoon for 1.5 pounds. Then I message the salt into the cabbage to soften it and start it releasing it’s liquid. I never add water. Here’s a recipe and more instructions. The amount of salt varies by recipe, but I’ve found the amount I add works well every time. https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-193124

Just a quick post from the Emergency Department, where I am tucked up waiting for a room. It is taking ages because I can’t share, because of the risk of infection.
    We went back to our doctor this morning, mainly to check OH, who ironically is doing well. But when the GP checked my chest, a different story.. Pneumonia in both lungs and quite a temp. I knew I didn’t feel well.. Straight off to hospital. Steroids, ventolin inhalant, tamiflu, oral antibiotics, IV antibiotics and a saline drip. Bang goes my biome and my blood sugar.
    I’d nearly finished a post on my computer when I left to go to the doctors, and I can’t remember what I wrote, except to thank you for your get well messages, and say, Cinque, that I hope miss 2 (and you) are both over her dreadful accident. How alarming.
    Ok, I’ll finish here.
    Happy holiday Quacka.

Oh Linsday, I’m so very sorry to hear you are dreadfully unwell. I can’t imagine how awful you must have been / are feeling. I hope with the hospital hitting you with all the drugs etc you will start getting better soon 🙁

Sending cyber hugs and healing thoughts….

Good evening everyone – although it doesn’t sound too good for some of you.

Lindsay, it sounds like you are in the right place to get that pneumonia treated.
    By the way, there is research showing that if you take probiotics while on antibiotics you don’t do as much damage to your gut biome. Can you get a family member to bring you in a bottle of kefir?

Intesha, I hope your Dad’s health issues settle down soon – it can be quite exhausting for someone of your dad’s age to have lots of medical appointments and tests. It does sound like you need to reconnect with friends – maybe those you used to have coffee with after the gym?

Merry, I came across a number of people who had insulin resistance when on the VLCD. I have no evidence except for anecdotal, but I did notice that all of those with insulin resistance that I knew when on the VLCD program, all gained weight as “apple” shapes – lots of belly fat but thin limbs. It seemed to be the only thing they all had in common. Some were also diagnosed as pre-diabetic, but not all. They had a much tougher job staying in ketosis as they needed a lower carb level to achieve this than the rest of us did. Without a low carb program they struggled to lose any weight, even on 800 calories a day. All those that I knew planned on staying lower carb permanently as they knew how hard it would be to maintain weight loss without that.

Today I was out and about with a physio appointment, lunch at a cafe then bridge in the afternoon. I’m glad I did a FD yesterday as lunch was very nice.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea, 4 strawberries, 1 dessertspoon yoghurt
    Lunch: https://imgur.com/a/znNt0Hc “burger and chips” – a quinoa & chickpea burger pattie on roasted pumpkin and baby spinach and topped with onions and skordalia. Served with sweet potato wedges flavoured with rosemary and artichoke hummus.
    I also had a mug of skim milk mocha.
    Afternoon tea: 2 cup of tea, banana
    Dinner: Yellow capsicum stuffed with freekah and butter chicken.
    Briam (eggplant, onion, zucchini, potato, capsicum, tomatoes).
    Wholemeal sourdough, buttered.
    Supper: hot milk drink.

I have a lot of meals out planned – at this stage lunches for the next 3 days will be at cafes. There will also be birthday cake to tackle at one of those lunches. I’m going to need to make some sensible choices as 2 FDs is not enough to deal with 3 calorific lunch choices.

Hi everyone, brief note – managed my FD800 today, so hoping for an improved weight tomorrow.

LindsayL, so sorry to read of the pneumonia. Will be praying for your rapid recovery.

Intesha, glad to hear from you, but – remember to be kind to yourself even while looking after your dad and his appointments and other needs. Make sure you schedule some “funtime for Intesha” in there somewhere. You need to consider your own emotional health.

CalifDreamer, Hope the home-made sauerkraut tasted awesome for you (not for me, I think it’s an acquired taste, and not one of mine).

Merryme, I was interested in your comments as I’ve a friend with ME/CFS, late 50s, trying to lose weight and finding it really difficult. That could be her problem. Haven’t managed to get her into 5:2 yet.

LJoyce, you mentioned bridge today – hope it was fun.

And to all, have a wonderful, sensible weekend!

Lindsay, I’m so sorry to hear that you’re in the hospital with pneumonia. It sounds like you’re in good hands. You can worry about your gut biome and blood sugar when you’re back at home and everything is back to normal again. I’ll be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts for a quick recovery.

For those looking to gain a physiological understanding of how intermittent fasting works and all the benefits associated with it, I recommend watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suJ_L49NBbU

This video explains all the key benefits from fasting and can show you what you need to do to get started with intermittent fasting

Good morning everyone, Saturday, 8:40am

Lindsay, I do hope you had a (relatively) comfortable night. Your biome might suffer a little from all that treatment, but wow, if it wasn’t for modern medicine, it would be you we would be feared of losing. Sending you so many good wishes for no more complications and a good recovery.
    https://www.birthdaywishes.expert/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Gett-well-soon-with-floral-pattern-600×600.jpg

Merry so good to read your catch up, and that you have worked out more useful information. It is interesting what longterm, enforced, sedentariness does to us. Glad you are happily back at Fast800, and that we will hear more from you soon.

Intesha, so happy to hear from you, and sending you every good wish to hold you up through this difficult time. I am so glad your dad is getting such good care. Are you still able to head off to the UK soon, as you planned?

LJoyce, what a lovely social time you are having. Good luck with all those lunches, I hope you can find some lovely choices.

Betsy, fingers crossed the scales give a lovely number tomorrow. Congrats on a good day yesterday.

Hmm, my accountability is showing me up. I ate chocolate yesterday, and not even strong dark chocolate (but it was good quality). I enjoyed every bite and now all I have to do is deal with the consequences. So far, that is feeling very hungover this morning. It is a fast day, as it is my birthday tomorrow and I am having a special lunch with family. So my fast day will work well, I hope, to interrupt the sugar consequences.
    Because of the chocolate I had the soup for my evening meal.

Soup today!

See you tomorrow (if not before). Good wishes.

Hello all, Saturday afternoon and the chores are done, the dog is walked and had lots of play time and now it’s time for a bit of relaxing with my computer and my 5:2 friends. Hubby and Maxx are watching the footy

Cinque, a very very happy birthday for tomorrow. I hope you have a totally fabulous day with your family 🙂

I read that article – twice – and it really opened my eyes about the lack of research in the area of women’s brains. And I was so angry to read that it is always written off as ‘women live longer’ as the reason that twice as many women get alzheimers. I was also very very scared because, since starting menopause I so often forget what I’m about to say, why I went into a room or the name of a person or object that should be so familiar. I was not surprised to read that it is so much harder to lose weight during this time too.

I hope you are feeling a little better today Lindsay and hopefully the antibiotics and other drugs are helping you to heal.

It was lovely to hear from you Intesha but sorry to hear that your Dad has had so many medical appointments. I hope you are ok and can get some time for yourself soon

Wow LJ, it really does make it difficult when social events all come at the same time. I know you will make sensible choices but also allow yourself some small treats too.

Betsy I hope the scales are kind after some good days that you have had

I had a shocker yesterday, I let stress get the better of me. I grabbed a packet of pretzels from the vending machine in the afternoon before the super scary meeting and then bought a bread roll on the way home. We had steak, chips and salad for dinner and I was planning on having just steak and salad but instead had about 10 large fat chips. So much for low carb. Today was supposed to be no carbs but I’ve already caved and had toast for a late breakfast. GAH! I refuse to get back on this avalanche so have mentally slapped myself and will be sensible for the rest of the weekend.

I must go as I am supposed to be researching for our trip. I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

Hi everyone.

My most this morning seems to have disappeared.

Lindsay, I hope you are on the improve.

The main change for today was moving the cafe lunch to a cafe afternoon tea instead and a look in the op shops at Semaphore.

Today’s NFD Fess up is not pretty:
    Breakfast: banana, pot of tea
    Mid morning: rye sourdough toast, lean bacon, briam veggies and a drizzle of EVO
    Lunch: 2 slices fruit & walnut sourdough, toasted and buttered
    Early afternoon: cup of tea at a cafe
    Late afternoon: 2 slices toasted walnut-rye sourdough, with butter & honey. Then I started eating corn thins – I had 6 with butter & vegemite.
    Dinner: I had a meal in the fridge but didn’t feel like it so I had wholemeal sourdough topped with tinned spaghetti and poached eggs.

I ate an insane amount of bread today. I don’t understand why I had so much trouble eating properly.

Happy Birthday, Cinque! https://resources.ediblearrangements.com/Resources/en-us/i/a/r_cel1.jpg
    I hope your day is a very NFD and fun one! And remember that (dark) chocolate is good for the soul. 😁

Intesha, it’s so good to hear from you. We’ve missed you here. I hope you can find some projects or maybe get away for a few days to keep your mind off of all the recent sadness. Sometimes there are those days when we just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

LJ, you’ve been so busy lately! What better test of how well the infusions are working than how active you’ve been. I’m going to have to try that Briam soon after seeing you and Cinque discussing it here. Last night I made a Greek style salad with peeled and chick peas, cubed cucumber, grape tomatoes, diced red onion, capsicum, olives, oregano, salt & pepper, lemon juice and a little olive oil and crumbled feta. I also made a stir fry with minced turkey, onions, garlic, capsicum, cut green beans, a tin of mandarin oranges, a couple tbs of concentrated frozen orange juice, hot chili sauce, sesame seeds and sesame oil. Both turned out really well.

Betsy, hope you’re seeing a loss on the scales today. Hope your cough is better now too.

Anzac, I think most people have a harder time recalling names and words as they get older. I figure that the older we get, the more memories we make and the more things we learn. We just need more random access memory, or RAM, so we can access the info more quickly. 😁

My DS has been following 5:2 for almost a year and is down to 51kg from around 57. She lost most of it within a few months but she’s managed to maintain and even lose a little more. She eats lots of carbs but just watches the portions. She’s 157.5 cm. She often has beans for dinner and fresh fruit, if I’m not cooking, and takes a huge salad with lemon juice dressing to work every day. She does eat treats at least weekly at the office. And of course she always partakes in movie and pizza night and a couple squares of dark chocolate several nights during the week. So I think it is possible to eat carbs and still lose and maintain by sticking to 5:2. She doesn’t get much exercise other than walking. She doesn’t have the “all or nothing” attitude toward food that I do. Eating a couple cookies doesn’t mean she has to finish the packet. I would figure that since I blew it on the cookies I might as well eat everything in sight.

Lindsay, I hope all the meds are kicking in and you’re feeling better today. I’ll be watching this thread for updates from you.

Happy happy birthday Cinque. Wishing you a wonderful day.

I may be coming to Melbourne at the end of the week as my friend has been very ill and in hospital for nearly three weeks. She has asked if I could spend some time with her as she is feeling very down. This will be good for both of us. I love driving out on the open road, the freedom is good for my soul.

Dad’s brother is not well either and has serious health problems. He is also in hospital. So depending on whether he improves or not I could be going north as well.

Cinque I had no plans to go to the UK but am going to Auckland in October. My daughter and grandchildren arrive on the 20th July for 5 weeks.

FD today 67.9.

Rainy and overcast. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone

Just a real quick post from Cairns!!

Happy birthday Cinque. I hope you have a lovely day xx

Lindsay get well soon xx

Thinking of you all. Talk soon 🙂

Goodmorning everyone,
    Thankyou for the lovely birthday wishes, and that sweet bouquet, Cali!

Quacka, you did it! Good aeroplane! Say hello to beautiful Cairns from me. Enjoy every minute.

Intesha, aha, it was your daughter coming to you, not vice versa. That will be lovely, and some Auckland travel to look forward to.
    I am so sorry your good friend is so unwell, but kind of glad it has given you the opportunity to get out on the open road and spend some time with her in dear old Melbourne. Do be in touch if you have time for a coffee.
    Best wishes to your dad too.

Anzac, what a blissful weekend. My wisest sister points out that we always had trouble forgetting words, we just have higher expectations as we get into our 50’s. But I also agree that our brain just gets too full and says things like “You really expect me to fit in that bit of nonsense?”
    On the other hand, I read that article twice too and started feeling my brain gets smaller with every night sweat. Eep!
    What has hit me most, getting through my fifties and now in my sixties, is that wisdom is a bonus of age. All that learning and understanding I developed through the hard years means I am much better at the important things and that ‘thing’ I’m going to have for breakfast, whatever you call it, is really not as important. We have too many words for everything anyway!

Egg, that’s it. 😉

Yesterday sounds like a delicious feast day. Best wishes for a restrained eating day today.

LJoyce, how annoying to have your first post go AWOL. And then to have your eating choices have a hissy fit for whatever reason. I hope today is a good one. If I was talking to myself I would say: concentrate on drinks and soups today for recovery.

Cali, what delicious cooking! I want some of that salad!
    Hi to Crickets! It is nice to think of her sensibly 5:2ing along while we all have our ups and downs.

Lindsay, lots of get well wishes flowing in a steady stream from here. I hope the antibiotics have kicked in and you are feeling a lot better.

Must go and finish the cheese and spinach pie. My pastry efforts are still a work in progress. I seem to only learn by making every possible mistake first, so I have two blind baked pastry shells of different qualities. An interesting talking point over my birthday lunch!

Best wishes all.

Happy birthday to you
    Happy birthday to you
    Happy birthday dear Cinque
    Happy birthday to you
    https://imgur.com/ClkVOOw
    Now blow out your candles and make a wish.

I figured Cinque deserved her own birthday good morning, so good morning to everyone else.

Despite my bread overload yesterday I did not wake up with a raging appetite – which I did expect to happen. I always feel a bit chastened the day after I’ve overeaten so hopefully today will be sensible. I don’t get my fist FD for the week until Tuesday so I need a couple of sensible NFDs.

Cali,my food behaviour has traditionally been as you described. Once the wheels fall off I figure, what the hell, might as well have everything else I’ve been avoiding too. Then the next couple of days I beat myself up over the behaviour. It becomes a cycle of excessive reward and punishment. I have gotten a lot better at this and the binges are very mild compared to what I used to do a few years ago, but that behaviour and thinking pattern still lurks.

Cinque, I have those moments of panic too when my brain won’t retrieve the word I’m looking for. Then there’s a mad mental scramble to find a suitable alternative word before it becomes blinding obvious that I’m having a seniors moment. What really annoys me is that my brain does eventually retrieve the missing word – just 2 hours after I actually needed it!

Intesha, not the best of reasons for needing to travel, but the break might actually be just what you need.

Hope the fasters all have an easy day.

Time for me to head out now, I need to collect my aunt and uncle on the way to the birthday lunch. We are celebrating my uncle’s 91st birthday.

This is just a quick post to wish our dear friend Cinque the happiest of birthdays. Hope the day sings Cinque, and the year brings only the best for you.

Thank you friends for the love and warm wishes. Progress. Off my IV antibiotics drip later today but at least a day or two more in hospital.

Quacka so glad to hear from you in laid back old Cairns.
    have a wonderful holiday.

Bye for now

Happy Birthday dear Cinque!!! I hope you are having a beautiful day 🙂

Hi Everyone, I’m jumping back on the 5.2 wagon and hoping to not fall off. So happy there is a Southern Hemisphere forum to keep me going in the cooler months.

Firstly, apologies for not acknowledging posted comments for the past week – have only now been able to view them.

Thank you Cinque for your comments. That was quite a feat losing 20kg before you started the 5:2! Did you subsequently resume eating some sugar? (I’d find it difficult to entirely give up sugar.)
    You mention that it took you 15 months to attain your current weight. As you are about the same height as I am, and started the 5:2 at 65kg (1kg less than my starting weight of 66kg), perhaps it’s unrealistic of me to expect a drop of .5kg each week.
    In my first sustained 5:2 run over 2.5 years ago, I had dropped 7kg after 26 FDs, but this was from a starting weight of 70.5kg.
    My current weight is 63kg, after 25 FDs, so only a 3kg drop this time.
    Good for you for maintaining your goal for two years! Do you follow a maintenance plan?

Anzac65, Thank you for your welcome and supportive words. Yes, I do see that this forum is lucky to have some “wise owls” who regularly post.

LJoyce, Thanks for your further helpful comments. I really felt like I was eating the correct foods to lose .5kg per week, especially as I’ve been consuming around 300 to 400 cals on FDs, and walking for 6km 4 or 5 times per week, but wasn’t actually counting calories on NFDs, and possibly consuming more than I thought. TBH, I do want to boost the weight drop a bit, so will now carefully check calorie intake on NFDs. Will also look at the Fast800 program.

CalifDreamer, Thank you for your welcome and supportive comments. You say it took you 7 months to lose 12kg. That rate is pretty close to .5kg per week, so well done!
    According to what I’ve read, I can afford to lose 10kg (66kg down to 56kg) and be within a healthy weight range for my height (1.57/8cm). Are you now within that healthy weight range?

This post is becoming a little long, so will sign off here, and catch up with other posts I’ve missed.

Good luck everyone!

Hi Quokka
    So sorry, I missed your post of last week. Can’t say your words were those I want to hear re completely cutting out bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, sugar and alcohol. Did you do this? Was this after trying 5:2 and not losing as you expected/hoped?

I have cut down on all those things, but would feel sorely deprived if I eliminated all of them from my diet. My partner makes all of our bread, sourdough only, and we do eat a lot of Asian and Italian meals (all home-cooked).

As mentioned in my recent post, I will look at the Fast800, and will carefully stick to my TDEE on NFDs.

Thanks again for your input.

Wishing you a Very Happy Birthday, Cinque. Hope you are enjoying a most pleasant and relaxing day!

Welcome Rhondaty, it sounds like you are familiar with 5:2 so I hope you get back into the swing quickly.

I’m just popping in to do my daily accountability. I felt a lot better about my choices today, especially given the range of options available at the cafe we went to for lunch. It was things like battered fish & chips, hamburger & chips, pizza, bacon & egg club sandwich with chips – you get the idea.
    I also managed to completely avoid the birthday cake which I very happy about. big improvement on yesterday’s misdemeanors.

One more cafe lunch to navigate tomorrow and then I’m back in control of the meal prep.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea, small banana, 2 tsp nut butter
    Lunch: beef stroganoff pot pie with chips (I managed to leave most of the pastry lid and the chips and just eat the pie filling. Also had a cup of tea while everyone was eating chocolate mousse birthday cake.
    Late afternoon: pot of tea, stewed apples & blueberries with greek yoghurt
    Diner: large bowl of cauliflower cheese soup. Two boiled eggs with rye sourdough.
    Supper: hot milk drink.

Good morning from a continuing damp Sydney.

So glad you have had some progress in attacking that awful flu Linsday. I hope you are home from hospital as soon as possible. It’s never a nice place to be

LJ, how funny that we both were attacked by the bread overload demon on the weekend. Glad you were able to have a better day yesterday; I did too thankfully. I put on a couple of hundred grams and I’m glad it wasn’t more. I have the same mindset Cali/LJ – once I have something really bad my stupid brain goes ‘well, you’ve stuffed up so you might as well carry on and eat the entire contents of the fridge/pantry/supermarket’.

Enjoy your lunch today LJ and I will be joining you in a FD tomorrow (Tuesday)

Welcome Rhondaty, this forum is so amazing and you will get incredible support and friendship

I’m very envious of you up there in warms FNQ Quacka. It is seriously wet, cold and miserable in Sydney right now

It sounds like you were having a lovely birthday Cinque, I hope it was very special

Ok, work calls. Have a great day everyone

Hi all, bit of a bingey weekend again. It seems to be becoming a constant theme to the weekends, I might need to go back on the fast 800 for a couple of weeks to re-set.

This weekend I ate the first bread that I’ve had for a while. I made some baps for the lamb burgers we were going to have for dinner on Saturday, It was a new recipe I was trying where you rub butter into the flour before adding the milk and yeast. I was just going to eat the vegetables and a burger patty, but of course when the smell of the fresh baked bread permeated the house I couldn’t help having a couple of buns with dinner, and then two more for breakfast in the morning. I also had a few rows of chocolate during the weekend and half a bag of chips and a few drinkies.

I did a decent gym session on Saturday which would have offset some of the excesses, but I really need to get more strict with my eating.

Resetting today, I made up a nice lunch with lentils, yoghurt, pumpkin seeds and almonds to eat today and we’re having some curried chicken livers for dinner so I definitely won’t be short on protein, fiber and fats today. I’ll have today and tomorrow to try and get things back on track before my weigh-in on Wednesday where I’ll see how much my weekend excesses have affected the scales.

Good morning everyone, sun through my Melbourne window, Monday morning, a new week. eep it is nearly 10am already.

Welcome Rhondaty, how long since you were last doing 5:2? Isn’t it nice that it just sits patiently in your knowledge bank incase you want to try it again.

Thanks for those lovely birthday wishes Anzac and Chatelaine. LJoyce I had a lovely long wish while blowing those candles out!
    Happy birthday to your uncle. 91 years, wow.

Lindsay, thankyou so much for making the effort to come on and say happy birthday to me, very special. Glad to hear the IV will be out now and hoping you have lots to amuse yourself with while you recuperate. I hope little Miss 3 is having an easier run.

Chatelaine, yes I seemed to steadily lose half the average, and I put it down to how sedentary I am. (Looking back, I can add in that I consistently ate too big portions on non fast days and way too many snacks. Oh well, 5:2 gave me the opportunity to gradually realise this and make small manageable changes and new, better habits.)
    As Thin famously said, “Maintenance looks a lot like normal 5:2” although at times I have done 6:1, or had 800 calorie fast days instead of my usual, which is under 400, and generally give myself a bit more wriggle room. But if I wander too far from my original 5:2 my clothes start getting tighter and back I go to basics.

Neil, how annoying to have a bingey weekend you didn’t want. Those baps sound so delicious though, every bite would have been a treat. An excellent eating day today, enjoy.

My accountability: After a lovely birthday lunch and an evening meal that used up all the veggies in my veggie drawer, I am being creative today so I don’t need to go to the shop. B was toast and spreads (and blessed coffee). L will be
    a herb kuku (frittata) with a salad of rocket, roasted capsicum, cornichons and olives, soup for my afternoon snack, and pasta, ragu and peas for my evening meal. Shopping tomorrow! And my freezer is pretty empty so I get the pleasure of deciding what I will make next.

Best wishes to everyone

Hi everyone. Sorry, only time for a brief accountability post tonight.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast: small bowl of bran cereal and milk, pot of tea
    Mid morning: 3 slices of dried apple
    Lunch (cafe): lamb yiros with salad & garlic yoghurt
    Afternoon tea: pot of tea and a banana
    Dinner: biam veggies with a drizzle of EVO and some sourdough bread. For dessert I’m having stewed apples & blueberries with greek yoghurt
    Supper: cocoa

I’m glad to have a FD tomorrow. Four NFDs in a row which include the weekend is far too many for me. I seem to do better with Monday and Friday as FDs.

Hi everyone, checking in again after the weekend, and uggh! I did it again! Just like last weekend. My Saturday weigh-in had me only 300 gms over my start of June weight, and then – two over the top NFDs have me back where I was after last weekend. Sigh! I’m stressed about getting data entry done before this coming Thursday, but that’s no excuse. It really highlights the effect stress has on my eating. Oh well, much better day today, so back in the swing for the week. I’m (again!) hoping that a few better days will undo the damage.

Glad, LindsayL, that you’re recovering well, and hope that drip came out today.

Hello and welcome, chatelaine and Rhondaty. You’ll find some really successful 5:2ers on this site, then others like me that go a bit up and down. I was mostly fine till this month, losing some or more each month, and I may still end with an overall weight loss for the month. I lost about 13 kgs in 6 months, but have been static for June. I only started this WOL at the end of November last year.

Anzac65, wonderful bread you had, and I’m not surprised that it was hard to resist. Personally, I don’t think some bread occasionally (but note the word “occasionally”) derails the overall process of weight loss, but of course it needs to be in moderation.

LJoyce, I’ve been thinking of something you wrote (I think it was you) about how much activity rates as sedentary, and relating that to my fitbit readings. A sedentary lifestyle usually means walking about 2000-4000 steps in a day (4000 would be the maximum), so walking 8000-10000 steps per day would be at least lightly active, but it would depend on the level of exercise. i.e., Gentle walking versus something like power walking for instance. And moderate exercise would be when the heart rate goes up into the cardio zone and stays there for a period of time. That means that something like doubles tennis, when a good part of the time is just standing, doesn’t qualify as moderate activity, while singles tennis is more likely to. It’s the degree of effort which separates light and moderate exercise.

Talking of exercise, I’ve had to give up planking, after just 2 days. Ended with moderate abdo pain, probably pulled muscle(s), and the doctor told me to stop doing my exercises for a bit, and walk more gently. Now, 3 days later, the pain has largely settled, so I’m back to vigorous walking, and will recommence the exercises in another day or so – but no more planking. I should have known better, as I injure very easily, and have to work up to doing things really really carefully. Sigh!

Cinque, sorry I missed your birthday, so happy belated birthday!

Quakka, continue to enjoy the north Queensland warmth. In another day or so, maximum temperatures here in Melbourne will be around 12 degrees. Brr!

Okay, happy fasting all!

Back home from my travels. Four pages of posts to skim. Some new names, welcome. I’ll climb on the scales tomorrow morning but I suspect that I am not going to like the result. Still, the experience of some years of 5:2 is that a serious fast will shift it.

Good morning fellow fasters,
    Winter in Melbourne today.

Lindsay, hoping you are having a good day, and maybe even be able to get home today.

Penguin, welcome home. Yes, hooray for a water fast to balance out your travels.

Betsy so sorry to hear that planking hurt your back. I like your thinking about exercise levels.
    Sympathy about your weekend overeating. Hopefully you will get all that data done in good time for Thursday and then you can concentrate on having a weekend that is full of good things for yourself, without adding excess weight.

Quacka, are you home?

Best wishes and cheers to everyone. I hope today is full of good things.

I’m having a go with accountability without writing it down now. Today is my fast day this week. Just off to soak some things for my evening miso soup.

🙂

Good morning from another grey Sydney day. It was forecast to be sunny but that didn’t turn out sadly. At least it is a bit warmer

How are you today Lindsay? I have been sending healing thoughts and I hope they have helped. Do you think you will be able to go home soon?

Betsy, it seems last weekend was a bad one for a few of us. And after a good CD during the day yesterday I arrived home to the smell of a roast chicken dinner and of course over ate again. Very much need todays FD. Sorry to hear that you hurt your back, I hope it is feeling better

Quacka, my sister arrived back in Sydney from FNQ last night and was very unhappy with the weather change. I hope it gets better down here before you come home

I don’t think I told you our funny story from Saturday night. The three of us trooped downstairs to bed and Maxx snuggled into his on the floor at the foot of ours. Then out of the blue he jumped up and curled into a little ball at the end of our bed. Naughty! We thought ‘oh well, leave him as he isn’t causing us any discomfort’. Well. I woke to find his chin resting ever so gently on the top of my head and poor DH clinging for dear life to the generous allocation of 3cm of space on the edge of the bed. Needless to say there won’t be a repeat performance! Since then I have been sleeping upstairs in the spare room and Maxx in the lounge room (I do this when I am having insomnia episodes and/or need to get up super early for work) so he hasn’t had the opportunity to try it on. It will be interesting next time we are all together!

Welcome home Penguin, lovely to hear from you.

LJ, joining you on a FD today. I need it and it sounds like you were looking forward to it too. I’ve had two black coffees and lots of water. Am very hungry after my recent carb overloads but pushing through it. I have a bit of leftover roast chicken breast and a small salad for lunch then stir fry tonight.

Have a great day everyone

Just re-read your post Cinque and you are also joining us on a FD today. Good luck (not that you need it, unlike me)

Just flicking through this weeks 52 page supermarket catalogue and there is only 8 items (yes 8 items) of fresh produce in the entire catalogue. The rest was processed food or toiletries/cleaning products. How very very sad.

Your supermarket puts out a catalogue?

I just found an article on fermented food that you might find interesting. One of the recommendations is not for large consumption, but a “little and often”, with the widest variety of microbes you can manage.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/fermented_foods

Quick check-in. Hope everyone is doing well. CD was okay yesterday, and going okay with CD today, too, only about 500 cals so far. With dinner, will probably end up with around 1200 cals, then FD tomorrow.

Cinque & Anzac65, not my back, planking re-activated an old groin muscle tear; first tore it in the early ’90s playing singles tennis, running for a ball. It’s stayed a weak area that I have to be wary of re-injuring. It’s okay if I’m careful, and this time it’s settling down well.

Neilithicman, Coles supermarkets have a “specials” catalogue you can pick up at the store every week – if there are staples you want, it’s handy to know when they’re on special. I think ALDI does the same, and probably Woolworths, though I’ve not seen that one. I’m a bit surprised at the 52 pages, though, would have expected about half that length, but…… Disappointing for there to be so few fresh produce options advertised, GDayfromSA.

Down we go for the week!!!

Second post, as I missed it – Anzac65, naughty Maxx indeed – seems that like a young child, give an inch and he will (try to) take a mile! 🙂

Hi everyone

It has been a big day today but really awesome. We went on a half day fishing charter this morning and I caught a really nice Fingermark (we don’t have them down south). The skipper said if we take it up to a restaurant at the Marina, we could book in for tonight and the chef will have prepared it for us to eat. It sounded like a good idea so off we trotted with my big fish and into this swanky restaurant. The chef just so happened to be out at the front as we walked up and said he could do it for us right away if we would like to eat it for lunch. He was so friendly and obliging and the food he made from my fish was amazing. It was two courses, the first was a tasting plate of the fish done 7 or 8 ways and then the main was a ‘simple’ (chef’s words) pan fried piece served with a sauce and veggies. It was simply amazing, I can’t describe it any other way. He charged us $30 each and as OH said Yi me, just the first course would have been worth it let alone two courses. I’ll post photos after this.

Cinque, not home yet. Off tomorrow on another fishing trip, this time river fishing and then we fly out on Thursday morning. Wish we had at least another week here.

Anzac, not looking forward to the cold. It’s been warm up here but still breezy (cool breeze) so only been swimming once so far. Lucky the apartment has a great spa bath.

Chat, I think I mislead you with my post about giving up carbs and alcohol etc…
    I have changed my diet but I still drink beer, although I have cut down and I still eat carbs but only sometimes. I’m talking about rice, pasta, potato, bread etc. I have much smaller portions than I used to and much less often. I have lost plenty of weight with 5:2 but it has been slow which has been fine with me. If I had cut out a lot more alcohol and cut down my portion size on NFDs it would have been quicker, but my approach to life is that it is there to enjoy still. I can do 5:2 and still have what I want but I needed to accept weight loss would be slower and also erratic. I hope you find what works for you.

Ok I better go but before that, Lindsay I hope you are getting better. Please look after yourself once you get out of hospital.

Take care all x

Up 7 lbs / 3.2 kg in 14 days. I really must stop eating the Pastel de nata when I am in Portugal. Still, what goes on in 14 days can come off in 14 or less and will. It rained a lot whilst I was away so the salad crops in my garden prospered.

This travelling gain is something I know I am doing to myself when I am doing it. I no longer worry about it because I know that a judicious application of the 5:2 when I get home will cure it. (and I am not going to stop eating the pastel de nata)

That much weight gained in just 2 weeks is likely to be mostly water weight. I’m sure it will drop off again quickly enough

Penguin, the idea of going to Portugal and forgoing the famous custard tarts counts as cruel and unusual punishment – maybe cut down to one day?

Quacka, looks like QLD seafood food every meal. I hope it’s delicious. I sure I don’t need to say “enjoy the fishing” – you will.

Betsy, I hope you get your data entry finished in time. It’s good that the injury settles down so quickly.

Neil, I don’t even need to pick up the specials catalogues from the supermarkets – they put them in my letterbox each week. As Betsy said, it can help when you want to stock up of items you use often. But I agree with GDSA they are usually filled with processed food – even at half price I still don’t want it. Unless it my favourite brand of almond-coconut milk – that I buy in bulk when it’s half price.

Anzac, Naughty Maxx, that’s the problem with having rules and not enforcing them consistently – he thinks/hopes it’s ok now. Can’t you just shut your bedroom door so he can’t get in and has to sleep in his own bed?

FD for me and I’ve made a stockpot full of Gypsy soup (from the Moosewood cookbook). It’s a tomato based veggie soup with chickpeas and is flavoured with cinnamon, paprika, bay leaves and basil. For me it’s the cinnamon that makes it special. That cinnamon-tomato combination is the one things from Greek/Turkish cookery that I especially love.

Hope all the fasters are having an easy time.

Neil, I think it is more likely red wine than water but, as Cinque says, a water fast will shift it.

LJ. One a day requires moderation and self control.

Weigh-in today and another 600 grams gone. Only 800 grams away from goal 3 as my current weight is 102.3 and 30 kilos lost will be at 101.5. My loss is definitely slowing down, probably a combination of carb binging in the weekend, continued muscle gain at the gym, and the fact that I’m closer to my goal now. I’m going to try hard to be good this weekend and I’ll see if the weight moves more next week.

Our supermarket doesn’t have a catalogue, they just put out a little flyer in the mail each weekend to show some of the specials. It’s only around 2-3 sheets of small news print, so the idea of a 54 page catalogue is mind boggling to me.

Neil, I’m happily shocked at how fast you have (almost) gotten to your 30kg goal. Such amazing progress. It’s good that you understand that this slows down the more you lose – the last 5-10kg is always the most difficult.

Penguin, I love custard in all its forms, but Portuguese custard tarts are something special. We actually have a little shop in Adelaide run by two couples of Portuguese origin. The only thing they make and sell is authentic Pastel de Nata (with or without cinnamon) http://www.saudade.com.au/#about They are located walking distance from my GP so a trip to see the doctor is sometimes followed by a delicious treat. I tried to make them once, but the pastry was very challenging. As a sweet treat they are a good choice because they are tiny – although it relies on me buying just one!

Hope the fasters got through yesterday ok. I was definitely ready for my soup at dinner time.

I’m on a NFD today and am much looking forward to roast lamb for dinner – haven’t had that for months. I’ll also do big tray of roast veggies to go with meals for the next few days. I also managed to get kale-sprouts this week. They have a short season but are a favourite veg of mine, so looking forward to them too.

Have a good day everyone.

A very good FD yesterday and the scales dipped 400g so that wiped out my weekend excess and I am so tantalisingly close to 84’s now (85.2). Two CD’s followed by a FD on Friday and I’m there! Whoo hoo

Lindsay, how are you today?

Penguin, travelling is everything to me (after Hubby and Maxx) so no way am I going to say no to everything delicious. That said, we don’t go and eat fried food / chips with everything either. France and Italy will be the worst during our trip I reckon as French food is rich and creamy and Italian is so very carby. But we will walk and walk everywhere and, as you so rightly pointed out, once home you can get back on the 5:2 wagon and get rid of any gains before you know it

Oh, and we are going to Portugal too (Lisbon only) – so tarts from the source here we come! I’m not a sweet lover at all but the Portuguese custards tarts do sound very delicious (I’ve never had one). We are doing a food walking tour that culminates in somewhere famous for them so I will diligently report in with my review

Glad you had a good FD LJ and enjoy that roast lamb tonight. It’s a favourite of mine too but as we had roast chicken on Monday I’ve requested lighter meals from the kitchen staff (ha ha) for the rest of the week. And yes, we are our own worst enemies when it comes to Maxx and discipline. We love him to bits and he just has to look at us with sad, brown eyes and our resolve goes out the window. Sigh.

Betsy, congrats on the great CD’s – you should see some progress by the end of the week for sure – YAY!

Cinque, I hope you had a great FD yesterday and are enjoying your post FD brekkie. You mentioned it was wintery in Melbourne yesterday but gosh – I saw your forecast for today and it made me shiver. A maximum of 12! Yikes!

Neil, congrats again! It does get harder to lose as you get lighter. My loss has been very slow but at 98 kilos I was losing a heap more that I am now with the portions I’m having.

I am dreaming about the magic moment when there is a 7 in front of my weight. I want it so badly I can taste it! Pity that desire seems to all too frequently get smothered by the desire to overeat. But I’m getting there in baby steps

Quacka, your fish dinner must have tasted a thousand times better because you caught the fish yourselves. WOW! What a lovely holiday you guys are having and I’m so happy for you.

Thin, if you are reading and not posting I just want to say that I miss you – a lot 🙁

G’day, I was completely gob-smacked by your revelation that there were only 8 items of fresh produce in 52 pages. The first time I read it I thought you said 8 PAGES of items and that was bad enough. It’s something that should be on the news or some Current Affairs program.

Hi Cali, I meant to say that I was glad to read the other day that your DS has had success on 5:2 too. I wish I had her resolve to open something like a packet of biscuits and not feel the need to eat the whole thing. That is something I simply can’t seem to get over; therefore I don’t buy the thing in the first place. I also agree that as we get older it IS harder to remember some simple things and I like the idea of having the ability to install more RAM in our brains 🙂 

Hi Intesha, Klondi, Crazy, Merry, Minka, Chatelaine, Rhondaty – hope you are all going well

Have a stupendous day/evening everyone 🙂 

My plans for a non-binging weekend may have been torpedoed before it’s even begun. My friend has just invited us out to her birthday dinner at Cobb & Co restaurant on Friday, and their meals are typically huge and everything comes with chips. I might see if my wife wants to share one.

Hello, hello,
    Brr here. Wednesday. eep, after 9am already.
    Lovely breakfast-after-fast-day thankyou.
    I hope it is the same for you Anzac and LJoyce, and any other Tuesday fasters.

The catalogue reminded me that I picked up the Coles recipe magazine, it was full of good ideas, and wasn’t it thick too.I feel so bad throwing it out, I am going to sneak it back on the pile when I go to Coles again.

A nice little pro-fermented food article, LJoyce. Mine, currently, are miso, yoghurt, kim chi and beetroot kvass. (I suppose we can’t count coffee, tea and black pepper?)

My sister is busy counting her plant based foods Penguin, inspired by you, while I am glad that eating more veggies means I do have more variety (a cauliflower doesn’t last as long as it used to).

Here is an interesting quiz for anyone with the time and inclination. It is all crops, not just grains (which flummoxed me at first). My heart fell when I got the top one. https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/worlds-most-grown-crops

Betsy, ooh, sympathy, a groin injury is not fun. Best wishes for an excellent fast day today.

Quacka, Woot! What a holiday! Those fish meals look so delicious!

Penguin, I was introduced to those tarts in Darwin where they were called milk tarts and made by a Chinese family from an old Portuguese colonised part of China. I was so delighted when the Portuguese custard tarts my sister was raving about, turned out to be the same thing.

LJoyce, a dear, previous, neighbour made them once using a Jill Duplieux recipe that involved rolling up a sheet of puff pastry, slicing it into circles and then rolling them out to make the shells they were wonderful! Was that the way you did it?

Ooh that Gypsy soup looks wonderful. Enjoy your roast dinner. perfect for the middle of June.

Neil, congratulations, another 600g gone is wonderful. That is a lot of fat.

I’m all set for a lovely normal eating day, and to separate and replant the last pot of strawberry plants. Best wishes all.

PS Klondi, how is it going?

Viewing 50 posts - 21,251 through 21,300 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.