Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,201 through 21,250 (of 28,011 total)

• I’ve made the cauliflower soup and thought I should post the recipe as it’s such a useful FD meal for me. I put it on out FD recipe thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/page/2/#post-289069 It’s based on the Moosewood cauliflower cheese soup recipe, although my version is very different to the original.

Cali, yes I do drizzle a little olive oil over the veg before roasting. I also sprinkled with garlic salt, pepper and a lemon-thyme-oregano herb blend. Sometimes I use morrocan spices instead – it depends on what I think I’ll be eating the veg with.

Neil, the starchy carbs or sugar can make the next day a challenge. I think it’s why I didn’t want to fast yesterday. I liken it to a determined child that ate a donut yesterday and is insisting on more. (I think this analogy comes from a mother and toddler I saw/heard in the supermarket once. The child was demanding donuts when they were in the bakery isle. I encountered them much later at the other end of the supermarket and the sobbing and demands for donuts was still going strong.) I think our inner voices when it comes to wanting more carbs has the determination of a toddler, they just don’t quit. We just have to be the stronger adult in the room – much easier said than done.
    I hope your gym weigh-in gives you some wonderful results. I suspect that both your weight and measurements will have changed for the better.

Well I’d better go and get a walk in before lunch.

I hope you had a nice walk LJ

I’m very glad I brought an extra piece of fruit today as I would have had a failed FD I think. Most likely due to the over indulgence yesterday

Cali, I get headaches on FD’s unless I drink heaps of water. It also helps to fill the void. I have two water bottles at work and one is chilling in the fridge while the other is on my desk.

I just went for a walk too but obviously not so nice when you are in a busy city. But it was quite warm and very sunny so better than sitting at my desk

Ok, must get back to it. Chat soon

Hi everyone

Its 3pm on Tuesday FD for me and yes I am feeling very hungry even though I have eaten a can of tuna earlier. I have a soup already made for dinner tonight and a quarter of it is just under 200 calories. It’s similar to last week’s pumpkin one but this time also contains sweet potato that had to be used up.

Klondi, very sad to hear about your sister’s husband. I hope she is ok.

I think you are right about not needing all those shoes. I might just take Birkenstock’s and the joggers. Do you think it will be ok to go to a restaurant in Birkenstock’s? Oh well if they refuse me because of my shoes then they didn’t deserve my patronage in the first place!

Cinque, I loved your description of my OH’s brain! It is exactly how he thinks and he is very lucky to not have any issues with food like I do. Thank you for your good wishes for my flight.

Anzac, Yay for Maxx!! We all knew he could do it 🙂

LJ, I never thought to put skim milk powder in my cauliflower soup. What a great idea.

I need to go back to the previous page so I will post now and be back in a minute.

Thanks Cali, for letting me know that you too are a nervous flyer but that you did it hundreds of times anyway. Yes, I got my bag packed and I am glad I did it early because I am already rethinking a couple of the things I have included (like too many shoes).

Neil, I can totally understand about the carb thing. I still eat lots of carbs and I think it affects my eating the next day even so. It will be interesting to see what your weight is doing now you have ramped up the workouts. Hope you took some measurements for yourself before hand.

LJ, you are so right about the salt in the Chinese and yes the sugar too. My weight has come down to a much better reading this morning even though it is in the low 66s. Hopefully this FD will bring it back into the 65’s tomorrow. I was going to do B2B FDs this week but I’m now thinking I will just have some more of my soup for lunch tomorrow. It’s low cal and I expect it to be very filling. If I have a nice light dinner tomorrow night then it will be under 800 calories for the day anyway and then I won’t be battling psychologically all day knowing that I have to do B2B. I don’t think it has helped me today that I was expecting B2B. The human brain!

Ok I best be going. Enjoy the rest of your day everyone and a big hi to those I haven’t mentioned personally.

Intesha, I have been thinking of you and hoping you are doing well. Also your Dad. x

Anzac and Quacka, hang in there it’s not long until dinner time now.
    whatever it is you want to eat now, just say “Yes. I can have it tomorrow.” That mostly works for me – it’s the continual “No” that I fight against.

Quacka, the reason I use milk powder is that I don’t want to add the calories that cream would impose and nor do I want to make my thick creamy soup watery by adding several cups of fresh milk. I always have skim milk powder on hand as it’s what I’ve always used to make hot cocoa, so it’s an easy solution for me. It would be fine to use full cream milk powder too.
    I too like my FD dinner soups for lunch on NFDs, but I get the luxury of having toasted sourdough with it on a NFD.

A week or so ago I explained something about TDEE but I didn’t mention where my information came from – I thought I should rectify that.

When my dad went into aged care he had several reviews of his dietary needs.
    I had a lengthy discussion with the dietitian who was doing one of the reviews and was shocked to learn that my Dad’s calorie needs were not in the “sedentary” category, they were at BMR levels. Basically the steps he took in a day to and from the bathroom, to and from the dining room for meals, out onto his verandah in the afternoon and perhaps to the front door and back if I was taking him to an appointment wouldn’t have amounted to more than 500m. So I could see why that put him at the BMR level. The dietitian explained that the “sedentary” category doesn’t mean that you spend all your waking hours sitting down, it assumes incidental daily activity such as cooking meals, walking to and from a bus/train or taking kids to school, doing some household chores such as making beds, laundry, grocery shopping or sweeping floors. She said it amounts to being on your feet and moving for about an hour a day if you spend the rest of your time sitting. To get to a BMI activity level such as “lightly active” or “moderately active”, you need to do exercise/sport in addition to some normal active daily tasks.

For me, the dietitian’s explanation made it clear why my father was gaining weight when he went into aged care – 3 meals a day + cake and biscuits for morning/afternoon tea + an addiction to chocolate + no real activity. When he’d been at home he often didn’t feel like cooking or eating and had a house and garden to look after – even with the help of carers he was more active there.

It also helped me understand why my own TDEE was often down around my BMR rather than at the sedentary rate. At the time I needed a knee replacement so was very inactive and I mostly worked from home. I didn’t walk further than to the letterbox each day and the only activity I did was the minimum of housework and one hydro session each week in the pool. I worked out that my TDEE was only 5% above my BMR. The “sedentary” TDEE actually adds 20% to your TDEE, “lightly active” adds 38% and “moderately active” adds 55%. If you look at how many calories different types of exercise burns it can give you a good idea of how realistic your estimate of activity level is.

The nurse has just left and the infusion went well. I’m just waiting for my chops to cook and I’l have dinner and a fairly early night.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea, 3 spoonfuls of kefir.
    Late Morning: banana and 1 tblsp peanut butter
    Lunch: bowl of cauliflower soup with 1 tblsp parmesan, 2 slices rye-walnut sourdough toasted and buttered. Followed by 3 slices (about 30g) cheddar with slivers of date-walnut log. (There really was a cheese and walnut theme to lunch!
    Mid-afternoon: pot of tea, apple and 1/4 cup yoghurt
    Dinner: 3 very small lamb loin chops (all fat removed), mushrooms stuffed with mashed spicy chickpeas, roasted veggies.
    Supper: hot milk drink

Hi all!

Anzac65, yay Maxx! How exciting for him to graduate into the 2nd class – bet that’s something you wouldn’t have expected for a while. Good that he’s learning, and he probably appreciates the discipline.

Neilithicman, good on you for all the gym work. I’ve just started doing some rowing again, having not done any for a while, and it’s certainly more of an aerobic challenge.

By the way, Neilithicman & penguin, please advise – my brother phoned yesterday and was encouraging me to try to “plank”, resting on hands and feet, body straight, the top position of push-ups. I can do it, but what is the usual process – just do it once, a few times a day? Do several timed repetitions? He just said to start with 5 secs, increase to 10, then 15, etc., but not details, and then we got talking about something else and I didn’t ask him. As he’s in the States, and terrible at answering emails, I thought this forum could be a place to ask.

LJoyce, glad the infusion went well. I’ve always considered a CD to be about 1200 cals, not higher, and I get there sometimes. Just in a slump at the moment.

Cinque, re traveling, I read some advice many years ago which I’ve found to be very useful, as follows – put all the clothes you intend to take with you on the bed, halve the amount, and double your money. Not sure about the money these days as there are now credit cards, but my experience traveling in the past has been that I always take too much stuff, and use less than half of it, so the above advice is all too true.

Klondikekween, sorry to read of your sister’s partner’s sudden passing, plus its effect on your travel. Sincere sympathies.

Onward we go. Have a good week.

Morning everyone…it’s only 4.30 but I can’t sleep.
    I am poorly with bronchitis, and barking like a German Shepherd, so this will be a quick post.
    Funny about Chinese restaurant food – I wonder if it is ‘adjusted’ for Western tastes because I don’t find the sweeter sauces on food in China. Mind you, I’ve never found the Chinese in China ordering lemon chicken or honey prawns, which is what our pals inevitably order when we go out with them for a meal. My tofu and my OH’s green beans with pork slivers are the last food eaten.
    Minka it is very interesting to read your approach to weight loss, and I hope you keep posting even though you may not be strictly 5:2. The approach I took last year when I first started was a combination of 5:2, TRE and low carb. It certainly worked – I lost 14.8 kilos – but too much ‘good life’ has seen that creep up a bit and I battle with losing a bit, going overseas, putting on a bit, losing a bit and so on and so on. With my next OS trip 16 weeks away I am very focussed on getting below my target. It’s even more pressing now I found my BFF’s sister-in-law is coming on holidays with us …
    she’s a size 10, and I would imagine would look pretty good in a swimsuit!
    Anzac how clever Maxx is – your patience is being rewarded.

Betsy those supervisor meetings can be enormously stressful. Just keep punching on – you’ll get there. And good advice about packing for travel – I am quite a moderate packer when we are moving around, but if we settle in one place I take more.

Quacka I am sure your Birkenstocks will take you where ever you need to go in North Queensland. I live in mine when I am O/S and apart from a bit of silliness in the Qantas Club in Australia when they banned them (because they were thong-like) have never had a problem.
    And Quacka, how frustrating to have that ‘discussion’ with your partner. Skinny people just don’t get it, and there’s so much evidence now that’s it not just about calories in, calories out, or exercise being the cure all. I have just finished the Diet Myth – fascinating, how our bodies work with, but also against us.

My three brothers all took after my Dad, who was lean and wiry (as men back in the day often were). I took after my Mum’s side – one very fat aunt, and Mum and another sister tended towards plumpness (but looking back, she was perfect). Yes, it is our genes. And our microbiomes. But we can get our bodies working with us, with the right foods, I believe.
    That said, I had a perfect FD yesterday ….nothing at all to eat til 6 pm, when had a bowl of homemade ham and vegetable soup with a sprinkle of cheese. 400 calories. And this morning? 100 grams down. Very disappointing. After I have my coffee I’ll go back to bed and see if the scales are kinder when I wake.
    And on that note – off I go.
    (Thin I’ll miss you and your often acerbic comments. You so amuse me with your take on things. Do try to drop by, when you get a little more time).

I wrote a post but it seems to have disappeared. I dropped only 500 grams last week, I’m into the 102’s now, with the scales stopping at 102.9 kg this morning. I’m guessing that I swapped out some fat for muscle because I can visibly see changes in my body this week. The fat on my neck has retreated enough that my Adam’s apple is starting to emerge , the outline of my ribcage is starting to be visible and I’m starting to see the definition of the muscle in my legs.

The other thing that I’ve noticed over the past months is I tend to have a small drop one week where I feel thinner followed by a big drop the following week where I don’t really notice the changes. 2 weeks ago was 400 grams, last week was 1.2 kilograms, this week is 500 grams so hopefully I’ll put up some big numbers next week.

I also get annoyed by thin people who have never had to battle with weight issues looking down on those of us who have struggled with it all our lives. They seem to think that if you’re overweight you must be lazy or sit around eating junk all day. Some people are just geared to store weight. I had a friend that I grew up with and went flatting with after we finished school. He used to spend all day every day on the computer and eat 3 times what I was eating and never gained a pound. I on the other hand played 4 different sports and ate reasonably carefully but still had to battle to keep weight off. He readily admitted that he was just lucky with his genetics and never looked down on me for my size.

Well, next week here we go, bring on the 19th and my next weigh-in. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning. Rain here today. Melbourne. Wednesday. 8:55.

Klondi, so sorry to hear of the death in your family. I bet you gave him a lovely send off.
    Looking forward to hearing from you on your new ipad. Say hello to the sun from me.

Anzac, big congratulations to Maxx and both of you! I was thinking of you watching the Giles Yeo thing I linked yesterday, because he uses labradors as an example of how genes mutate to encourage overeating, and all the issues around this.

LJoyce, so nice that you had a lovely unhurried start to the day, and the infusion went well. Good point about being the adult in the room. What nice, fair but firm, adults we can be. Great explanation of TDEE. We should have a FAQ thread with things like that on it!
    Thanks for adding your cauliflower soup recipe. It is surprisingly similar to the recipe I make, I love that bit of carrot in with the cauliflower. The powdered milk is such a good addition.

Neil, isn’t it extraordinary how those munchies are set off (and last for days, sometimes, with me). I’m keen to hear how the weekly weighing goes.

Cali, such a good reminder about drinking water on fast days.
    Fast days work well for me, hydration wise, because I do wait out the hunger demands coming from my brain, and after a couple of hours I start to feel thirsty and then drink lots of water and get hydrated and refreshed. Yes, I should do this on NFD’s and do keep trying, but I still catch myself out.

Other note to self: DON’T forget to carry water in the car! That seems to set it off. I don’t drink while out and about, and then get home and start eating.

Betsy, I have been trying to plank too, for core strength. I’ll be glad to hear advice.
    That is an excellent travel tip!

Lindsay I am glad to hear that there is less sugar in Chinese food in China. I am fine at Noodle Kingdom (wonderful local restaurant) but my sister loves Yum Cha and first, when I was vegetarian I was disappointed because so many dishes were meat based, so I was excited to try again when I was eating meat again – but I had given up sugar and there were even less things that weren’t super sweet, even gai lan had such a sweet sauce.
    Luckily I can make wonderful Chinese recipes at home.
    You’ve had such a bad run with dreaded lurgies, I hope this one is short.

Accountability: Excellent fast day! Refreshed and rehydrated and Oh how I enjoyed my breakfast. All ready for a few healthy eating days before my next fast day. Firm, fair adult is in charge!
    B: Home made bread with mushrooms and parsley. Coffee, morning only (now I am linking it to night sweats, sigh).
    L: A rainbow of veggies with a little bit of cheesy pasta.
    S: Tomato lentil soup
    E (evening meal): Spiced root veggies with lemony dal.

Good morning, another brilliant sunny day in Sydney. 23 degrees

I am so very sorry you are so sick Lindsay. Any cold I get tends to head straight for my chest and it is truly miserable. I hope you are feeling better soon. Don’t worry about the scales, I’ve found when I’m sick your body does strange things with heaviness. Take care and stay warm

Quacka – when I go on a warm, beachy holiday I love to have a pair of open toed sandals to go out in at night. That said, I would never be able to travel just with carry-on so you have to sacrifice small things like that. Despite my years of travelling I am still not a good packer and always take too much. How exciting though, your trip is so close you can almost feel it and you are so lovely and slim you will feel like a million dollars up there 🙂 I will wave to you on Friday as you head up to my neck of the woods

Neil, you are so right about people who look down their perfect noses at those of us with weight issues. I hate that automatic assumption that you must be lazy and greedy. You are doing so well, congratulations

Hi Betsylee I agree about the supermarket. On Sunday I bought a small box of Ritz cheese crackers for our bbq on Monday. I had no intention of eating any myself. By Monday night I had eaten almost every one of them. Goodness knows how many calories that was. I also mindlessly ate leftovers and garlic bread. Thanks goodness for FD’s as the scales haven’t jumped up after my very good one yesterday. I see that as balancing my terrible Sunday/Monday and now I can go onwards and downwards 🙂 You and I both have to watch our NFD’s so carefully and I’m trying to do exactly what you are – keeping them to well under my TDEE and I’m aiming for 1200 – 1500 calories and low carb. You weren’t whinging by the way, this is the place to vent. Believe me, I do it all the time!

LJ, so glad the infusion went well and I hope your aches and pains have abated? Thanks for the TDEE information, I love reading about it and it really helps me to understand what is going on inside both my head and my body.

Good morning Cinque, I heard on the news that it is going to be very wet and wild in Melbourne today. In fact your cold change is pushing some strange warm winds up here and we are in for a very unusually warm day. OH is taking advantage and giving Maxx a much overdue bath. He is one smelly fur-child at the moment. I am very interested in the information about using Labradors as an example of how genes mutate to overeating. Maxx would eat himself sick and then some if we let him.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes about Maxx. 2nd class will be interesting. There is a young yellow lab – Toby – who started kindergarten on the same day as Maxx. The two of them get on so well and enjoy a big rumble after classes each week. However Toby was graded the week before and went to 2nd class which is a long way away in another field. His Mum bought him over for a play after Maxx was graded last week and she said it is definitely much harder and more structured. I see this as a good thing but I’m curious to see how Maxx goes. I’ll certainly let you know! There’s no classes this week as there is another trial

Hello to everyone else, I must go and get stuck into some work. Have a great day all

Hi Neil, just saw your post. Yes, muscle is heavier than fat, but also you are making a lot of new muscle and I know muscles need to hold water to do that, so your 500g loss is actually brilliant for this week.

I forgot to mention something encouraging. I stood in front of my wardrobe this morning looking for something different for a change. I picked out a top that I haven’t worn for ages because, er, it used to be a very unflattering fit across my behind. It actually looked ok! So I am wearing it. It reminds me that at 98 kilos I was a very different shape to 85.5.

Woo hoo!

Good Morning everyone

I really like your advice, ladies, about the packing for our trip. I have left my bag packed as I had it on the weekend but have been thinking about what I am going to remove when I repack it. I already think I have too many clothes (ummm and shoes lol) so I’m going to cut them back a bit. We are only there for 5 nights and if worst comes to worst there is a washing machine and dryer in our apartment.

Neil, I too have a friend that is around 63kg (so 3kg less than me) but she eats so much junk food. Yesterday she had a ‘salad’ followed by a big bag of Twisties. She nearly always eats sweet things after lunch and yet still stays slim. Most of her dinners are processed things or homemade pizzas, just awful really how bad her diet is. It is definitely genetic in her case. Her mum is super skinny, actually to the point she looks sick. Having said that, her mum is very unhealthy, drinks and smokes a lot and often just eats a bag of chips with her alcohol, probably all she eats for the day. I think I would rather be healthy and my 66kg thanks.

Lindsay, it is very frustrating when our bodies don’t respond after such a good FD. I had a ‘sort of’ FD yesterday and ended up at 650 calories. I was at just under 500 calories after dinner but then I was still really hungry so I ate 2.5 vita wheats (because I dropped half a one on the floor) with peanut butter. So yummy, but oh dear peanut butter is so high in calories! Anyway, that is behind me now. Weight this morning, bang on 66kg, so 300g loss. I’m not too worried as I am pretty used to the weight fluctuations now. That’s what you get when you weigh everyday.

Glad your infusion went well LJ and I ‘m definitely going to try the milk powder in my soup.

Betsy, you will get back on track. We have all been through ups and downs and it’s why my advice to everyone is just keep going.

Ok, I have a rep coming to see me in half an hour and work that needs to be done before then. Have a great day all

Well done Anzac! It’s so lovely when some of our smaller clothes fit and we are happy with how they look on us. Ummmm, yes, the difference between 98 and 85.5kg is huge! No wonder you are such a different shape. Think of 12.5kg. That’s like 4 x 3kg bags of potatoes or if you think of blocks of butter – that is 50 blocks. Amazing.

Lindsay, hope you feel better soon. Sorry I missed saying that in my last post as I was rushing to finish it.
    I wonder if the Qantas lounge have changed their policy on Birkenstock’s now that they are so widely popular!

Good afternoon everyone.

I had a hospital appointment today to go through all the testing required to maintain access to my RA treatment drug. I passed it all – which always feels like such a relief. I can relax until November when I get to do it all again.

Lindsay, I hope your bronchitis improves soon and that you can find a remedy that eases the cough. I find hot lemon and honey helps a bit. Hopefully a day of rest will help too – glad you aren’t trying to rush off to work while still ill, as you’ve done before.

Anzac, Woo hoo indeed! Worthy of celebration. I always think we walk a little taller with a bit more swagger when something like that happens.

Neil, I feel the same about thoughtless comments from people who wouldn’t know what a weight problem was. I’m adopted and grew up fat in a thin family, despite being fed the same as everyone else. When I met some of birth family I was not surprised to find every one of them were obese.

Quacka, I thought North Queensland was a casual place. Surely birkenstocks will be fine.

Cinque, I literally drooled this morning when I read that your breakfast included homemade bread. I really do need to get baking soon – when I get a quiet week maybe. I’ve got a large tray of briam in the oven and that is going to require some good bread to deal with the tomatoey juices.

The timing of meals was odd today because I had medical appointments through lunch time.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea
    Late morning: 2 weetbix, a large handful of bran and skim milk
    Mid afternoon: 3 slices wholemeal sourdough, spread with homemade sundried tomato pesto, grilled lean eye fillet bacon and fresh tomato slices. (I hadn’t realised just how garlicky the pesto was until I ate this meal.)
    Dinner: a roasted yellow capsicum filled with a few freekah grains and butter chicken. Served with roasted pumpkin, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. Also a spoonful of the briam (tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, potato, red onion, red capsicum, oregano and olive oil)
    Dessert will be some greek yoghurt.
    Supper: a hot milky drink

I’ve decided to do a FD tomorrow instead of Friday, so have just rearranged my meal plan accordingly.

I already need to change my NFD Fess up. I had a kiwifruit with the yoghurt – very nice it was too.

Hi everyone, it’s a FD so here’s my ‘pop-in’. I feel very guilty & rude just posting all about me and not replying to everyone. If I’m not engaged, there doesn’t seem any point in being here. But I haven’t the time to read so many posts at the moment. Dilemma. I don’t like missing out! So, thank you for your comments.

I know that Quacka’s holiday looms. I hope you get the packing sorted – take half of what you’ve packed – and have a great time.

Cinque, thanks for the update on Endeavour. That makes sense now. I only caught about half of it.

Anzac, glad that Maxx has made you proud at training. Lindsay, I hope you feel better soon. LJ, I expect your bridge lessons are coming to an end soon. We never learned ‘stayman’ in the beginners’ class. It was a supplementary lesson along with lots of other optional extras throughout the year. I spent a small fortune learning this game!

Klond, I can’t say I’m enjoying what’s keeping me so busy. I’ll talk about that another time.

CalifD, Minka, thanks for your emails. Sorry I haven’t replied (same reason).

Neil, Betsy, Merry, Penguin, everyone else, hello! And welcome Chatelaine.

That’s a pretty pathetic skim of posts, isn’t it? I hope all the losers are staying on track. And the maintainers are doing well. Of course you are. I’m maintaining a steady 57.7kg. I plan to get back here on Sunday, my next FD. Stay well all.

Quick check-in (always say that, but then…… 🙂 ) I managed a CD yesterday followed by a successful FD800 today. It helped to realise that I had started stress eating, so I could put the brakes on.

Thin, good to hear from you. Just keep on keeping on, maintaining that steady 57.7 kg.

Neilithicman, planks – need advice re how to do them! And now Cinque is also asking, so please, please advise. Or penguin. Oh, and with your shape changing, well done to still have lost weight over the past week.

Quacka, enjoy your holiday, and how much you take….? In the end, it depends on how well you can manage your suitcase. If it’s on wheels, under the airline weight limit, and you don’t have problems with lifting it, you can take the extra so you’ve a selection to choose from. The advice I cited was for overseas travel, maybe to a few countries, and when suitcases were mostly not on wheels.

LJoyce, great you’ve passed the hospital testing for another 6 months. It must feel like a constant exam! Surely if you’ve had RA for many years, there’s not suddenly going to be a reduction in your symptoms?!

Anzac65, please report back on how Maxx goes in the 2nd grade. We’re all interested here in his exploits. And by the way, woo hoo re the top fitting so well. What a nice feeling. My new “avoid at all cost” food at the supermarket are the new Arnott’s cracker chips which are baked instead of fried. I have indulged in the honey soy flavour a few times recently so today I walked past the biscuit aisle without looking. A packet is 160 gms, about 800 cals, so even on a NFD that’s still a lot of calories, and once I start eating them I can’t stop without finishing the packet. The only solution is to NOT buy them.

LindsayL, hope you recover from your lurgy quickly. No fun.

Catch you all next time!

Good morning. Another 4 am wake up.
    My doctor phoned, shocked,yesterday afternoon to say the throat swabs for me, my DD and little 3 year old had come back – and we have Influenza Type A. I say shocked, because we’d all had the ‘flu shot, although mine was only last week. No wonder we are all feeling so dreadful. OH has ‘something’, but not quite sure what. Maybe just a terrible cold. He’s taking Tamiflu as a precaution, because he got to the doctor early enough, and it may or may not help. He isn’t aching like we are, and the lethagy is unbelievable. On the upside? The doctor said the cough would last two weeks – and by the end of it we should have washboard stomachs.
    Neil half a kilo a week is pretty amazing. I like the way you analyse how your body is responding to the diet and exercise regime.
    Quacka, your friend may not show the results of her junk food diet, but inside her body will be screaming.
    Respect, Betsy, that you are seeking advice on planking. I don’t think my back would support me. Let us know how you go.
    Thin, you don’t need to respond to each and every post – just pop in when you can, and write what you will. We’ll all be very pleased to see you posting.
    Penguin have you popped out again too?
    LJ thanks for the tip about the cough remedy. I’ll give it a go. I won’t go to work next week either …both because I can’t imagine I’ll feel better, but also it’s not fair to inflict this on others. DD and Miss 3 had been poorly for a while, so I had the little one last Friday while DD pushed on to finish an assignment, so I guess that’s where mine came from. Not that I blame them, although of course DD feels dreadfully guilty. These bugs are everywhere, and it could just as easily been someone on the bus.
    OK I’m going to crawl back into bed. I have had a coffee and it tastes like mud. I want my taste buds back! The other upside is I had another very good FD yesterday. A few olives and a little cheese at 5 pm, and half a cup of vegetable soup (all I could manage) with the news. Anzac I hope you are right about the scales being unkind when we are ill – ironic, isn’t it, that they are cruel just when we need some kindness 🙂
    Thin, no guilt! No need.

Hi Betsy, I don’t really do the planks anymore, I concentrate on cardio, but basically you get into a push-up position, but instead of being on your hands you rest your forearms on the ground and then hold the position for as long as possible. It really hits your core muscles. When I did fitness training for badminton I used to be able to hold it for a few minutes, but the world record was a Chinese policeman who managed to hold the position for over 8 hours!!

I got a mail message from the older group about apps for recording, i use my fitness pal, it scans barcodes and can add as i go along, i really only use it for calorie counts as im starting to work out my favourites on fast days i hate cpunting calories to be honest

I so envy you all when you talk about going for a walk or doing exercise. It really seems to help you all, but if i go outside and motor down the street, they all seem to race out for a chat so if i go for a walk i get some fresh air and catch up with the gossip ive even tried odd times lol someone still catches me, my chair is a magnet hahaha

All the posts are so interesting i learn alot so thank you all another fast day today, im not finding them hard but my not fast days are much more difficult, my meal sizes have decreased but im hungrier than on fast days, drink more water on non days too its been three months now kinda proud of myself… daughter didnt last long, lol i enjoy maxs antics i have two little ones chewy and nala they are more lap dogs they keep me entertained

Thanks you all i might lurk alot but i do enjoy you all and thin, you will be missed if you dont pop in now and again District nurse is due so better go, have a good day everyone and keep smiling

Good morning,
    Neil, excellent description about planking. I do it like that.
    I remember a thread here of people doing the 30 day plank challenge but I couldn’t remember how and to what it extent it was recommended to build it up. I have just been googling and they say 30 seconds is optimal: rather than trying to hold it for two minutes do 4 lots of 30 seconds. so that should stick in my brain.

Betsy, this is a good video to show the different types of planking. The first two are all that you need!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdvN_XEl_c
    And I liked this for showing the common mistakes to avoid: https://globalnews.ca/news/4149572/how-long-hold-plank/

Build up to holding it for 30 seconds if you don’t have the core strength. I had to start at 10 seconds (or was it 5?) and build up.

Good morning…cloudy but strangely warm in Sydney today. A few people on the train platform were discussing it. Weird

Thanks for posting Thin; we don’t mind if you don’t reply to us but we would love to hear from you in any context. I’m sorry to hear whatever is keeping you busy is not enjoyable – hugs to you

Oh no Lindsay, the full-on flu, and some of the family along with you. Not. Good. I’ve only had it once and I will never forget how sick I was. I honestly had terrible thoughts like ‘am I dying?’ but I’m sure that was just the fever distorting everything. I really hope you recover soon but in reality I know it will take a while. Please do look after yourself

Betsy – those Arnott’s Cracker chips…..GAH! They had them during the workshops and it took all of my will to not throw myself bodily across the table and put my head in the box. They. are. SO delicious and moreish. You and I seem to have the same preference for salty, crispy, savoury morsels of evil!

LJ I can’t believe they make you go through this every 6 months. As BetsyLee said your RA is sadly not going to suddenly and miraculously vanish. Just red tape I guess and you just have to put up with it else lose your treatment. I saw my Mum suffer from it so terribly and my heart goes out to you. I was interested to read that you were adopted and then went on to meet some of your birth family. That must have been both interesting but also poignant.

Cinque, I too drooled at the thought of home made bread. I might try to make some this weekend and immediately freeze it so I don’t sit and eat the whole loaf in one sitting. Sigh.

Quacka, as Lindsay said your friend may be thin but her body is crying out for nutrients. So sad but nowadays too many people, especially girls, think the only ‘healthy’ thing is to be skeletal.

It must be your last day at work today too? How exciting!

How are you going G’day? I was interested to read about the ducks and chickens. I do wish we lived somewhere more rural. I also concur that menopause is most likely contributing to my constant plateau’s and I have been doing some reading about it. Apparently it is much harder to lose weight during this part of our lives due to many factors including hormone fluctuations, loss of muscle mass, inadequate sleep and increased insulin resistance. Everyone here will cheer with something I read today. There are three ways they recommend to lose weight during this phase: (a) Low Carb Diet (b) Mediterranean Diet or (c) Vegetarian diet. They also recommended a mix of strength training and aerobic exercise.

They also warned about increased risk of depression which is very concerning. I have never suffered from any type of ‘feeling down’ as I have always been positive and thankful for the wonderful people and all other aspects of my life. But (and I’ve never said this out loud) for the past 6 months or so I sometimes suddenly feel overwhelmed and sad/angry/anxious and I’ve blamed my job or lack of weight loss or even the dog sometimes. I am always able to talk myself out of it, but I was glad to read there is a hormonal reason behind it.

I thought I had a pretty good CD yesterday but the scales crept up to 85.7 from 85.5. I’m not going to obsess about it and see what happens after today’s FD. I’m leaving early today as I’ve put in a lot of long hours and I need a break from the office so I’m going to go home and go for a big, long, hilly walk. I can’t wait 🙂

Where are you Rosy and Penguin and others who haven’t posted for a while?

Have a great rest of the day everyone

Hi crazy, lovely to hear from you. We both struggle with NFD’s and not FD’s now. I’d love to see a pic of Chewy and Nala?

OH just sent these pics. Maxx is NOT repeat NOT allowed on the bed. We caved about the couch but not the bed. He couldn’t find him and realised he had forgotten to block the stairs down to our bedroom. Little minx

Where is Maxx? https://imgur.com/gallery/ycaoSE1

Oops you caught me https://imgur.com/gallery/QDJIcae

Good morning fasters. FD for me.

I’m off to a travel show about holidays in Canada and Alaska this morning and didn’t want to be tempted by the morning tea – a FD prevents me telling myself just one biscuits will be ok.
    Cali, I am aware that northern California is not far away when I get around to doing this trip. I’m probably still 2 years of saving away from it though.

Betsy, it’s not that they suddenly expect the RA to improvement. The modern treatment drugs are really expensive and I can only access them through our PBS scheme if I can prove that they are working well. So every 6 months I have to prove that I have a 50% reduction in the number of joints with visible inflammation and a 25% improvement in the blood tests that show rheumatoid activity and inflammation. Basically they compare current results to what they were before I commenced treatment. As long as I maintain at least that level of improvement I keep my access to the treatment drug. It’s because the government doesn’t want to be spending public money on a treatment that is providing minimal benefit – the patient is actually better off trying something else too if it’s not working well.
    Good luck with the planking!

Crazy, good to hear from you. Really pleased to hear that your FDs are still going well. I’ve been doing 5:2 for quite a while and my NFDs are still a work in progress, so I can sympathise.

Neil, maybe when my back is better I might try that – not for 8 hours though!

Lindsay, rest up and drink plenty of fluids. Hope you see some improvement soon. I think this has been a particularly bad year for respiratory viruses. I know way too many people who’ve had a barking cough or no voice for weeks.
    I make a drink with 1/2 small lemon, a heaped teaspoon of honey and then fill the mug up with hot water. If I sip it slowly it does seem to soothe – I thinks the combination of the heat and also the honey, which does act as a lubricant. (Or so the choir conductor used to tell us.)

Thin, this week we are learning competitive bidding and matchpoint scoring. Officially I have only 2 lessons to go. However they have said that there are other things we need to know to be able to join a table and play so they will be continuing the lesson times for another 4 weeks after the official lessons end. Which will make it 12 weeks of classes. Hopefully I’ll be able to join the playing group then without making a complete fool of myself. I think once we go out into the general play area for supervised play it’s $12 for 1/2 day of play and they provide a 30min lesson on more advanced topics before the play starts. I’ve actually been sitting in on those advanced lessons because they are in the same training room as my classes in the 30min immediately prior to my class starting – and I’m usually there early.

Cinque, I notice that I’m more mindful of both the volume and variety of veggies on my plate since I’ve joined your accountability. Influenced also by Penguin’s 30 veg a week too. Because I prefer cooked vegetables to salads, I always find it easier to eat plenty of veg in the cold weather.

Time for a second cuppa. Have a nice day everyone.

Hi Anzac – It’s been unusually warm here in Dunedin all Autumn/winter so far (although probably not by Sydney standards), it’s been a crazy. We’re halfway through June and we haven’t had our first frost yet, let alone our first snow. Normally we get at least one frost by the end of April and by mid June we’re lucky to get 10-12 degrees during the day. But according to the News we have just had our warmest ever Autumn and it was around 17 degrees most days. It’s been around 13-15 all June except for one or two cold days.

Anzac, crossed posts.
    Maxx looks so contrite in that first pic.
    Hanging on to a newly acquired low weight level can be challenging. I think the fact that your weight has stayed in the 85s is still a good sign.

Back with a cup of tea.

Tuesday, a nice mild winter day (after yesterday’s wild, wet weather). Melbourne. Thursday. 9ish already!

Anzac, the bit on Labradors is 31 mins into that link if you want to find it. He explains that the breed was developed to help fishermen retrieving nets etc (or something like that) in the cold north part of Canada. Hard work, but food rewards, so the dog that had a mutation to be keen for food rewards got bred from. It is a recessive gene and if the Lab has one gene it (nowadays) tends to be a certain percentage overweight, and if it has both genes mutated , even more overweight. Since they use food rewards to train service dogs, Labradors are the highest percentage of service dogs.
    The intelligence and lovable personality are all linked to it!

I loved to hear about you wearing that top. I bet it looked gorgeous. Such a pleasure.

Quacka, I guess it is helpful in the end, if our bad eating habits show up in the mirror and lead us to change them. Good luck to your friend, some people can get away with so much, but good genes can only help to a point.

LJoyce, so glad you got through that assessment with no worries. I hope you get to make some bread soon. Mmm yum with that briam.

Thin, so glad you will pop in. You’ve got me wondering about that project. Time consuming and not much fun.
    An all out strategy to get your neighbours to move? Hmm, I think you might find that rather fun.
    Your daughter is running a practice for wormy dogs and she is employing you to clean their bums? That’s more like.
    Congratulations on your steady 57.7kg!

Betsy I love the rest and reset a fast day gives us!

Lindsay, oh dear the flu. No wonder you are feeling so crook. Take care and give your self time to recover properly. Do all the good things. You will have plenty of time to chat to the bees, once you have the energy to go to the bottom of the garden. Won’t you love it when coffee tastes good again! Sympathy to Miss 3 too.
    Fingers crossed Mr Lindsay misses the bullet.

Crazy, you are clearly too lovely and friendly to get anywhere around town in a hurry. Congratulations on that 3 months. Yes, so many of us find, once we get fast days sorted, that non fast days are the real battle. Sigh.
    Daughters! Ha! At least she understands what you are doing and, ofcourse, 5:2 just waits patiently in case anyone decides to give it another go.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what exercises can you do? Do you have ways of getting your limbs moving to keep muscle tone etc?

Well, accountability. Yesterday was pretty good but I was babysitting the tots and somehow Miss 2 managed to dislocate her elbow, while pretending to be Miso the cat, along the shiny floorboards. She had done it a couple of times before, so while I was flummoxed by her saying it was her hand that hurt, (and not seeing how on earth she could dislocate her elbow crawling along the floor!) Her mum got home and pretty quickly figured it out. They didn’t even get to the waiting room of the Emergency department as the nurse you see first was able to fix it.
    Anyway, by the time I got home I needed a couple of bits of toast with my cocoa. Well, no I really didn’t but I had them anyway.

This morning I have had a lovely plate of soup as a sister is down from the country dropping her partner off at the airport and we are meeting her for breakfast at Babka’s, so i will treat myself to one of their excellent croissants.
    Then a late lunch and a dinner of the same two meals I had yesterday, in whatever order I decide, and they were so yummy I am very much looking forward to them. I’ve also made a delicious brew of beetroot kvaas. The beetroots are particularly good in winter, I’ve discovered. Makes sense.

PS I forgot to say Quacka, this might make you feel a little bit better about that peanut better: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2019/06/06/eating-peanuts-every-day-may-help-protect-your-brain-disease

Cheers all. Best wishes for a gentle day.

Yikes, so many posts in the meantime.
    Lovely 🙂

Good morning everyone

What lovely photos of Maxx, Anzac. I particularly love the first one where he is looking all innocent even though I bet he knows he shouldn’t be up there. Hahahaha

I just turned on our ancient PC and hooked up our camera before work this morning to make sure everything is transferred off it and ready for this holiday. I found some photos of my two old girls so when I can work out how to get them off the computer I will be able to post them up. It was great that I had photos but also reminded me of how much I miss them.
    I also had a quick look through old holiday photos. I was reminiscing so much I was almost late for work!

It is my last day of work today and I am ridiculously tired. I managed to get two hours sleep last night and I wasn’t even stressing. I just couldn’t stop tossing and turning and my brain wouldn’t stop ticking!
    I’ve already had too much food this morning and I could actually eat some more right now. Not true hunger, just feeling lethargic and drained. Bring on Saturday morning.

Betsy, I just have an overnight bag with a long strap as my luggage. I can easily carry it so I think it should be ok. Oh, we had progress last night at our house…….OH actually talked about packing his bag. No, he didn’t manage to actually do it but at least he thought about it!! lol

I think I am going to go order a coffee. I usually get no effect from the caffeine and just drink it because I like it, hopefully today it gives me some sort of buzz though.

Oh one more thing. I am in a lot of the holiday photos that I was flicking through and I noticed that I was quite chubby in them. No where near my heaviest but just starting to put it on. I feel like I am so much thinner now so it will be interesting to see what I look like in the photos we will take on this trip. I always hate photos of myself anyway but at least I feel more confident in my skin this time.

Ok I hear coffee calling. Catch you all later x

Also wanted to say how lovely it is to read all your posts. Thank you for the link about the nuts, Cinque.
    I have just finished eating some almonds and three smoosh balls and that is on top of the food I ate at home which may start with ‘sal’ and end with ‘ami’, and don’t forget the cheese I had with it. If I were to guess at my calories consumed so far I would have to say it’s about 600 already. Ridiculous really, when I can go a whole day on just 500 calories. Oh well, I’m not going to feel guilty about it. It is a NFD after all……… now what else can I eat? Just joking 😉

Quacka it must be the weather or something because I am SUPER hungry today – and I’m on a FD! I’ve already eaten my afternoon piece of fruit and am on my third strong black coffee. I normally stop at two on weekdays as I’m sure too much impacts my sleep. The hunger will wane….the hunger will wane.

I’m guessing a mixture of excitement and anxiety kept you tossing and turning. It’s awful isn’t it, that feeling of having sand in your eyes due to lack of sleep? You just need to get through today before the adventure begins tomorrow.

Hang in there!!!!

It will be lovely for you to compare holiday photo’s. I have a dreadful one from Vanuatu last September where I look like a bloated, pregnant frog and I keep it nearby at all times to stop me from over eating. I look forward to comparing it to our Europe snaps at the end of the year.

I’m sorry you are missing your two dogs (I presume? Or cats? I can’t remember) but maybe it’s time for a new pet?

Anyway…it’s already 10.30 so only a few more hours to go

Hi Anzac

You hang in there too!! Some FDs are a little tougher than others (same as NFDS lol) but just think how you will feel when you hop on those scales tomorrow. I’m sure you will see a good result.

You made me laugh with the bloated pregnant frog image. I probably shouldn’t have but I totally get what you mean. I have a photo of me in my bikini from the last holiday two years and looked awful. It was soon after that holiday that I started 5:2. Wow, I just thought of something. That means it has been almost two years since I started 5:2!

Yes, my girls were dogs. I miss them all the time but it’s not the right time for us to get another pet, especially if we are going to be flying around all over the place! lol
    Fingers crossed.

Cinque, I laughed out loud at your guessing at what is keeping Thin away from us. My fleeting thought, even before your post, was something to do with removal of noisy neighbours – just like you. But Thin, whatever it is, I do hope that you are ok. I will admit to be a bit worried about you

It is so interesting to read about the ancestry of the Labradors in Canada. There are American labs and English labs and I believe the English lab have were originally bred as bird retrieval dogs on hunts – thus their natural affinity for all things retrieving.

Ok, back to work. Sigh. But happily the last coffee killed the hunger demons so I’m quite ok at the moment . Yay

Gosh it was nice to have an afternoon off work. The boys and I went to the park and ran around like kids after a soccer ball. Incidental exercise 🙂

Hubby is cooking my stir fry even though it is only 4.30 but I am honestly so hungry.

Intesha, I have been thinking of you and hope you and your Dad are ok.

I hope you have finished work Quacka and therefore the holiday has OFFICIALLY BEGUN!!!!!!!

Hey Anzac, hope you enjoyed your stir fry. We often eat dinner early on FDs too and luckily OH doesn’t mind.
    Yay!! Holiday has definitely begun and wait…..just wait!! OH actually packed his bag!!
    We are off to Sydney tomorrow and then off we go Saturday morning. I can not wait. Even better, OH said we can go up a bit earlier tomorrow. Long story short, but things went wrong at work today so he won’t be under pressure to get things done tomorrow which means he can leave early. Sometimes things work out in our favour. So long as it doesn’t rain down here next week……

I’m very glad I chose to do a FD today as the morning tea provided at the travel seminar included scones with jam and cream. Had it been a NFD I think the chance that would have indulged is almost a certainty. The travel seminar was inspiring – what lovely scenery. It reminded me that, when traveling, I am always more impressed by scenery than cities.

Quacka, at the travel seminar one the presenters said that the best policy for packing is to layout all your travel clothes and all your travel money. Then halve the clothes and double the money.

Anzac, a friend of mine is losing weight by cutting calories at the moment and she likened her behaviour to a labrador – she took enough food to work to get through the day but ate it all by late morning and then looked forlornly around hoping for more.

Cinque, I did the grocery shopping today and picked up the Coles free recipe magazine. It has a good collection of veggie recipes this month, just in case you are interested.

It was interesting watching the behaviour of the couple siting next to me at the travel seminar. Not only did they make multiple trips to get many scones with jam and cream, they then proceeded to eat their way through all the lollies on the table. Why – probably just because it was there. I’m sure there was a time when I would have behaved similarly. It made me feel a bit sick just watching today.

I have eaten a large plate of veggies for my FD dinner. If Penguin’s reading, I had 12 different veg on my plate for dinner (if I can count a few chickpeas as one).

I have another day out and about tomorrow and decided I wanted to have a cafe lunch over in Norwood – hence doing the FD today.

Well, tonight it’s me that’s doing the pop-in. It’s been a busy day since today (yesterday now since it’s past midnight) we had the new central heating and air conditioning units put in. Not much for me to do actually except to keep the pets out of everyone’s way. The cats were fine, confined to the office upstairs, but the downstairs is an open floor plan so Cooper had to be kept on a leash with OH or I watching him. He would just sit and bark if he couldn’t be with us. He actually went pretty well today. It wasn’t as noisy as I thought it would be. And now we have air conditioning again!

LJ, I’m glad you got through all your tests ok. It seems like you just went through them. Time is passing too quickly! Thank you for posting the cauliflower soup recipe. I never thought of using skim or non-fat dry milk powder in soups. What a great idea!

Neil, even if the scales doesn’t show as big a weight loss because of all the exercise and muscle gained, you know that you will look better and clothes will fit better, which is really the point of it all.

Thin, good luck with your current project. Hope you’ll pop in often.

Cinque, sorry to hear about Miss 2’s dislocated elbow. Little kids are so rough and tumble, it’s amazing they don’t injure themselves more often. But what a stressful day for you. I hope she isn’t in too much pain from it.

Hate to run off to sleep so quickly, but it’s getting late. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Cali, I had forgotten that was happening this week. Glad you have the new system installed before summer heats up. Hopefully the new system will be more efficient and give you many years of heating and cooling.

Checking in after a CD that stayed around 1200 cals. FD tomorrow, then comes the weigh-in on Saturday morning where I’m hoping that most of the damage from my few day slump will have been annulled. Here’s hoping anyway!

LindsayL, oh no, the real flu. How horrible! I had it last year (diagnosed on symptoms, didn’t have a swab test) for the first time I remember in my adult life, about 6 weeks after the flu injection, and I NEVER want to have it again. Ended up with breakout asthma followed by asthmatic bronchitis and was sick for a few weeks – the cough (bark) continued for a few weeks after the rest cleared up. Anyway, I entirely sympathise with how you feel, and hope you have a rapid recovery!

Anzac65, loved the photos of Maxx. Naughty boy! Interesting about the chips – I’m a real chocoholic, but just some kinds of chips appeal – I think the honey soy ones are sweet as well as salty, so feed both my tastes, unfortunately. Chuckled over your bloated pregnant frog imagery. I don’t like photos of me, either, so I hope that will change in the future. Not yet, though.

LJoyce, thanks for explaining about the 6-monthly reviews you have to have. That all makes sense now. Also, you wrote of the couple at the travel seminar. I probably wouldn’t have gone for scones, but sweets in a bowl in front of me? I would keep eating them because they’re there, so have been known to move bowls to the other end of the table to stop myself from mindlessly consuming “food” I don’t need.
    Good you’re hanging in there with the bridge. How exciting it will be to start playing with the “big kids”!! 🙂

Quacka, impressed with your self-control in your packing, and great that OH has finally done his. Happy travels!

CalifDreamer, great that the air-con has been installed and is working just in time for the heat of summer. Whew! And good that the pets behaved fairly well for the day.

Neilithicman, thanks for the description of planking – different to my brother’s description, which was for the arms to be fully extended; I had a feeling that wasn’t right, so with yours and Cinque’s youtube, I’ll be doing the right way in no time. With arms fully extended, I can manage about 15-20 seconds, but I’ll try it the other way and see how I do.

Cinque, thank you so much for the youtube link – will look at it as soon as I finish off this post.

GDayfromSA, RosyPosy, Klondikekween and others, where are you? Have been missing your posts and hope you’re all doing well.

Oh, Cinque and Neilithicman, now I’ve looked at the youtube video, I see I’ve started at the more advanced level. Oops. That’s probably because my brother is fairly fit, so started higher. So, I’ll go back and try the one with the bent elbows and straight body, and if it’s fine for 60 seconds, I’ll go back to the more advanced one and practise with that. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Betsy, I tried planking in the past and ended up with back pain the next several days. But I was doing it with fully extended arms too. I’ll have to try with bent elbows.

FD today and so far I’ve eaten only a small tin of salmon with lemon juice and pepper so no hunger. I think because I’m so resigned to the 2 FD’s per week that I’m usually not hungry. I do try to eat protein mid day and high fiber foods in the evening. That seems to work. I also don’t eat anything too interesting or tempting so it’s easier to quit when I’ve finished my portion.

Anzac, I somehow missed those pics of Maxx on the bed before. He looks like he belongs there. But he’s big enough that he would probably crowd you and OH out. Cooper is only about 7 or 8 kg but he manages to turn into positions during the night that take up the most possible space. We often have to move him around.

I forgot to mention that I put up 4 large heads of cabbage for sauerkraut this last Sunday afternoon. It’s sitting in a big crock in my pantry, well covered so air doesn’t get in. It already tastes sour today, so by Sunday it should be ready to eat. But it always tastes better to me after a couple weeks. I always serve it at room temperature so as not to kill off the good gut bacteria. After several weeks I’ll put it into jars which will go in the frig. Even our picky dog loves homemade sauerkraut. Isn’t that weird? Our previous dogs liked it too. They must know that the probiotics and healthy bacteria is good for them.

LJ, it’s so nice to have the new air conditioner. They will have to run the furnace for about 15 to 20 minutes with the windows open to blow off the bad smells of something or other on the coils, but will come back for that in the fall. It’s way too hot now to have the heat on for that long, not to mention all the windows open.

Hi all.

Betsy – Good luck with the planking. I might have to start it back up again, or sit-ups. Everything else seems to be tightening up but I’m still carrying a fair amount of padding around my belly.

Cali – I’ve often wondered about sauerkraut, I’ve never tried it before, what does it taste like and is it easy to make? Our garden is looking pretty bare at the moment. We’ve got some silverbeet, parsnips, beetroot and carrots that are ready to eat now and we’ve planted some winter cabbages, cauli and broccoli. We usually do pretty well out of our veggie garden during the year through.

I tried the treadmill yesterday at the gym for a change of scenery from the bike and rowing machine. I was able to run a lot longer that I could when I was starting to train for the surf to stadium run a couple of months back. I guess the 15+ kg that I’ve lost since then has been helping things out. I might have to do a rotation between the bike and treadmill from now.

Have a great day all.

Morning friends, a quick post from me too as I have a crazy busy day with back-to-back meetings, two of which I am hosting and one of those is terrifying.

300g down after my FD. I’ll take but sheesh – if I ate this little 10 years ago I would be losing a kilo a day.

Cinque, so sorry about your little granddaughter’s elbow, I forgot to mention that yesterday

Congrats on the new air-con Cali

HOLIDAY time Quacka! Enjoy your night in Sydney – are you staying in the city?

Will try to pop in later…hi to everyone fasting or not, have a great day

Good morning everyone

Just a quick post before I head out.
    I have another physio treatment across town in the eastern suburbs and then I plan to visit some of the op shops around the Norwood area and have lunch at the Seasonal Garden Cafe on The Parade. Then it’s over to the Bridge club for my lesson.

I have found I need to check my supermarket receipt before I head home to see if there are any glaring errors. Yesterday I I checked it after I’d put the bags into the car and found the biggest mistake ever. I’d bought one parsnip and been charged $17.72 for the privilege. I’m assuming the chap on the checkout weighed his arm as well. So I took the offending parsnip and the receipt back and asked for a correction – they decided to treat it as a scanning error and gave me a full refund. So I still get roast parsnip with my lamb roast on the weekend.

Klondi, I’m assuming you’ve made it back home in time for the funeral. I hope it all goes as planned and that your presence is a comfort to your sister.

I must go now, have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone,
    I am going to try to be quick!

Anzac and anyone interested in issues around menopause this is a really interesting article I read a few days ago. It depressed me at the time (it explains that having my ovaries removed increased my risk of Alzheimer’s by 70%) (and discusses the difficulties of losing weight), but there is good stuff in it too. It mentions planking and the benefits of dark chocolate! https://elemental.medium.com/menopause-and-alzheimers-1c455f29fe16

Quacka, exciting times! Enjoy every minute! Fancy LJoyce finding the same brilliant travel info just as Betsy wrote it.

LJoyce, I’ll get that Coles magazine, thanks for the head’s up!

Cali, so glad you have your new system in keeping you cool.
    Luckily as soon as little Miss 2’s elbow was slipped back in place, she was fine. Excellent sauerkrauting! I’ve just finished my first jar of this year’s home made kimchi and it keeps getting more delicious.

Betsy you are clearly an accomplished planker already!

Neil, your garden sounds wonderful. It is the barest time of year, isn’t it. I picked a couple radishes the other day, and my greens are going very well, they are my mainstay.

Anzac, best wishes for the terrifying meeting, I hope it goes brilliantly.

Gday is it you who is eating breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper? How is it going?

Accountability: yesterday went well. Croissant was delicious. But oops I added some popcorn in the afternoon. Not a big serve, but it did have butter. I’m doing well with lots of veggies, like you LJoyce. Pleased.
    Today: Toast and spreads for breakfast, with coffee.
    Lunch: Kippers and veggies
    Soup: Spiced parsnip and greens
    Evening meal: Last of the pasta bake (it is going far because I am having small servings), ragu, peas and carrots.

Best wishes all. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants!

Good Morning everyone,

Hope everyone is going well.

After the suggestion from LJ that I may be insulin resistant, I’ve taken a little while to learn a bit about it, and I think you’re right LJ. I stopped Fast800 while I did that. While not having talked to my GP about it yet, I spoke to one of my specialists yesterday with a general enquiry. ME/CFS is peculiar in that many people with it can have symptoms of something despite the blood tests, and sometimes other tests, appear normal. My previous blood sugar levels aren’t high and I have no other symptoms I’m aware of that would indicate I’m pre-diabetic. If I am insulin resistant, the only thing I can put it down to is 21 yrs of far less than normal activity, the first 2 yrs mostly in bedcand and then very slow, slow recovery to where I am now, which is still not normal, and much aided by the research drug I’ve been privately trialling, with the specialist, for a couple of years.

Anyhoo, I’m continuing on Fast 800 till I get to my goal weight, revert 5:2, and will go through all the medical hoops in about 3 months time before we head off overseas to our expat child’s overseas wedding. The expat is currently staying with us for a little while, renewing the requisite periodic visa.

Check-in: 64.2kgs today, 3.1kgs gone thanks to F800, and 2.2 kgs to go.

I’ll be back soon, after our expat flies away again.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry and Mr M

Hi all, popping in to thank those that have mentioned me lately. I still lurk and do my FD’s. weight seems to be steady. This morning 66.9. Still up and down but not beating myself up about it.

Life just drifts from one day to another. Dad has had a lot of medical appointments, nothing serious just one Dr sending him to another and then another. At 92 I’m amazed at the care he receives but that could have something to do with his Gold Card.

Some days I feel really lost and disconnected, just want to jump in the car and take-off.

Quacka hope you have a wonderful holiday.

All the best everyone. I will pop in again at some stage.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,201 through 21,250 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.