Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,912 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Intesha 1 day, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,551 through 20,600 (of 28,016 total)

• Good morning,
    My darling granddaughter slept very well, but I tend to the hypervigilant side of things so gave myself another broken night and took yesterday to recover.
    Felling pretty well back on track now.

Merry, dear heart, so glad to see your post and crossing my fingers that the universe allows you to post more often again!
    Please give my very best wishes to Mr M and here’s hoping he sails through chemo with the best possible results.
    The intricacies of an overseas wedding to organise make such a counter balance.
    And damn! Now we are not going to find out what your project is until next year! Ah well, that will go by in a blink of an eye. And cheers for you, getting a lot of it done and making the right decision for your health.

Anzac, hooray for getting your deserved points! Persistence wins again.
    Well done having a successful weight loss week inspite of new job, WFH and Easter.
    And that would be pretty well the most beautiful bathroom I have ever seen.

Klondi, hopefully your weight plateau is water being held to help build that new muscle. Once it has gone its job it will go and you will get a nice drop.
    Best wishes op shopping, I hope you score some perfect items!
    And ooh, won’t you love heading North from Melbourne’s winter.

Neil, I love how, when people comment about losing weight or looking healthier, it puts it out in the world and makes it even more real.

Lindsay, I do hope the 2 kiddies overnight went well! Happy birthday to little 3, I hope she managed without her mum and dad there.
    A Vietnamese salad sounds like a delicious compromise.

Minka, so glad the buns are all gone (I am another traditionalist who rolls my eyes at chocolate chips in everything).
    We never had real eggs as part of our Easter traditions, but I think that is a pity when I hear European friends talk about the colouring and games.
    My daughter lessened the chocolate by hiding plastic eggs with other things inside, as well as some chocolate eggs. Miss 4 saved a chocolate egg for me, so I pretended to eat it.

I am the same with the high fat. I just can’t tolerate it. ‘Liverish’ my mum called it. Such a horrible feeling.

Kiwi72, so glad to see your post, but my sympathies about the stomach bug and the shoulder pain. Hoping the surgery does the trick. Best wishes for Monday!
    It doesn’t matter if setbacks make it a long and interrupted road to do intermittent fasting. You are in it for the long haul, so you can just roll with it, keep analysing what will make it work better, and feel triumphant about the weeks you make it work well. Eventually they will get just a normal part of the weeks cycle.

Betsy, have you managed a transcription yet? Isn’t it amazing how even our own parts of the conversation are so full of non sentences and grammar errors, unless we are reading out our prepared questions of course! More good luck wishes.

LJoyce, farewell to your excellent eggplant bushes! I laughed at the trampoline story. My granddaughters are still freaked out by insects so it was a sympathetic laugh. I made progress this week by bringing them a fly swat and teaching them how to use it, so that a fly coming into the house is an opportunity, not a crisis.

And exciting news from my garden, I saw a blue banded bee!

I’ve been doing pretty well (touch wood and whistle) with my veggie intake, and I do feel so much better with veggies making up the bulk of what I eat. I would have loved your dinner!

Thin, it was nice of you to sit on the bottom of the bridge ladder for a week, and let someone else get up a rung. I foresee that you will climb it steadily and soon get to a point that you will never be on the bottom, so you needed a turn!

Rosy, so annoying! I want your post! I’m crossing my fingers too, that it will turn up.

Well, the day is rushing past, and I have more catching up to do, and miso to buy! Best wishes all, eat wisely!

CalifD, I have a light-hearted Netflix movie recommendation for you three. It’s called, “St Vincent” starring Bill Murray and Naomi Watts.

Another Thursday FD that went pretty well as far as the eating, but I had a headache most of the day. It was probably not enough water or salt, and glad it’s gone now.

Cinque, we color eggs every Easter. I posted a photo here, along with a picture of one of our azalea plants that’s blooming, and a camellia. https://imgur.com/a/xfAmrSz
    We now have a lot of hard boiled eggs to eat with a few that cracked and didn’t get colored.

Anzac, your new bathroom is coming along well. It looks like the palm will provide a lot of privacy from above.

LJ, I couldn’t help laughing at your story of the spider and bee on the trampoline. I think thin could use a few of those to populate the neighbor’s yard. We didn’t have any chocolate eggs but did have hot X buns, lemon cake and a carrot cake. Why do we need so many desserts you may ask? I don’t know. I need to stop buying that stuff. One would have been enough. It certainly doesn’t help my NFD’s.
    DS is still doing 5:2 and is at her goal weight, so maintaining. I’ve managed to put on 2 kg over the past couple weeks that come and go with FD’s. I need to do better.

Thin, your bridge wins in the supervised group even out the losses in the big kids group. You’ve made amazing progress. It wouldn’t be any fun if it was too easy to get to the top.

Has anyone here heard of weighted blankets? They seem to be getting somewhat popular over here, or at least I’ve been reading a lot about them. The supposed benefits sound somewhat questionable, but the one thing that caught my eye was their use for anxiety and better sleep. Has anyone ever tried one?

DS wants me to watch something on TV with her. I’ll post more later. Hope you are all having a good day.

Quick check-in. Lots happening for everyone.
    Hope LindsayL has a satisfactory car solution now.
    Enjoy being back at work next week, Anzac65.
    No trancriptions done yet, Cinque, I’m entering books and papers into my bibliography first so I can get them out of the way.
    Minka, re LCHF, have you looked at “The CSIRO Low-Carb Diet” book? That may have some helpful suggestions for you. I have to be careful with fat, too, as I’ve had my gall bladder out, so there’s no reservoir of bile to easily digest the fat. Can’t eat more than a couple of consecutive high-fat meals without stomach pain and needing to then just eat minimally for a day or two. What I have found helpful is the protein bars found in the health food section of supermarkets – reasonable level of fat, higher protein and very low carb. Might be something to have tucked away for the times the “munchies” get ahold of you?

The Easter temptations are over everyone, so… back on track! Admittedly, the past two days for me two FD800s became CDs, but today is a true FD. Weight this morning the same as last Saturday (my official weigh-in day), so I’m hoping the weight will be a couple of hundred grams lower tomorrow (hope, hope! 🙂 )

It’s been a very indulgent NFD with lunch at a cafe on Jetty Rd Brighton after lots of clothes shopping. It was a good day, not only did I find bras that were really comfortable and a perfect fit (minor miracle) I bought a dress. That might not sound like a big deal, but it’s been years since those who design fashion have created dresses with both sleeves and a long enough skirt to end mid-calf. Both essential for my chunky upper arms and thighs! It’s black and white and I’m hoping to wear it out to dinner Sunday night.

Cali, I have heard of weighted blankets but haven’t seen them for sale. I do understand how they could be comforting – I think it’s a swaddling effect which is probably a subconscious reminder of childhood comfort. I can’t sleep without the weight of at least one blanket and it always feels even better with the weight of two. I will cool the bedroom enough in hot weather to allow me to have at least one cotton blanket even on hot nights. I,m restless and sleep poorly otherwise.

Hello to everyone else. I’ll respond properly tomorrow.

Sitting quietly missing Gardening Australia and listening to the little girls winding down (I hope).
    Cinque, glad your little one slept through -next time you might be more relaxed and have a good sleep too.
    Car being repaired – $4,200, but it comes with a 6 months guarantee which will give me time to research what we get next.
    Betsy, good for you for getting your references sorted. Honestly I could have saved days if I’d been organized like that.
    Thin you are amazing with your bridge. It wasn’t that long ago that you were starting your classes.
    LJ I hooted at your trampoline story. Ship those bees to Thin!
    And Cali, we also paint and hide eggs together for Easter. And chocolate too, of course. But not this year because both families were away. Shame, because I found some special egg dye in the Greek shop.
    Ok there is a lot giggling. Time for stern grandma face (not that they would recognize it… they’ve never seen it before).
    Night all

God I’m glad it’s the weekend! Over half our department was away as people took advantage of the 3 day week and I had to work an extra 3 hours a day on top of my regular hours to get everything done. I’m so knackered. I think I’m going to sleep all weekend to recover. I’m getting to old to be pulling these kind of hours back to back.

CalifD, your eggs are pretty as is the camellia and azalea. Nothing to report here, just saying hello.

Good morning from Melbourne. A bit bracing weather-wise here.
    I now have miso. 🙂
    Unfortunately my fast day didn’t work well, I was not feeling well and decided to just go with the flow and concentrate on having a good fast day on Sunday.
    Today I am concentrating on not being dehydrated as I think I was a bit yesterday. The change of seasons always messes up how much I drink.

Cali, I’m your headache went, and hope you have enjoyed your day after fast day.
    Your eggs are so pretty!
    It is very hard to adopt Easter traditions, that are not in my family, here as they are so Spring based, and it is Autumn here. The best I did was celebrate Quetzecoatl as god of chocolate, and now I don’t even do that.

I remember weighted blankets as a thing about ten years ago, I didn’t even know they were still around. Some people must find them useful. (I love the lightness of doonas).

Betsy, woot for a true fast day. Well done. And yay for getting stuck in to the bibliography. Hope the scales are kind this morning. If they are in a nasty mood, well, hiss in their general direction!

LJoyce, lovely shopping. Ooh a comfy bra is a pleasure. Your dress sounds so elegant.

Lesley, I hope you get to watch Gardening Australia, I will catch it today. Whatever the girls did last night, well, it is daytime now. Hope everyone is hale and hearty. And no need for stern grandma face.
    Isn’t it nice to have a chance to research what you will like your new car to be, when the time comes.

Neil, hope you are sleeping in!

Thin, hello 🙂

Hi all,

NZ Saturday 27th April, 2.30pm

Everything well here, sorry not been posting, just got busy!! Easter was OK for us, only went out to dinner on Sat night and enjoyed one glass of beer and one glass of wine with our chicken meals, tasting all the sweeter as the wine was missed off the bill!!!! So Tuesday morning weigh was great down another kilo on the week, however, we then headed into the city for a couple of days and intended being home on Weds night but friends invited us over to stay overnight with them, unfortunately, when we get together it’s always a big night which usually contains copious quantities of alcohol, Weds was no exception, cheese platter to begin which I was really good with, then they ordered pizza, 2 slices was more than enough, not a food I have ever enjoyed anyway!! Home on Thursday feeling slightly worse for wear but OK, but since yesterday have not got off the toilet, so getting through 3 litres of water a day and not really eating much! Did manage a run this morning (first for a week!) and ran further than I have ever gone before, maybe not as hard or fast but a lot further so felt great with that, might up the distance by the end off this week!! Weigh in this morning and back down to 74.4kg! Certainly not beating myself up about this one!!! I do now know that alcohol minus water equals weight gain!!!!

Need to go for a walk this after and watch some of the local rugby games but heavy rain and hail is forecast! The colurs of the trees around here are amazing, so different every day!!! Autumn is definitely here!

Hope all is going well everyone,
    Turn

hello hello, have been busy so not able to post. Cooler here in Sydney today, 19 degrees

Maxx is definitely starting school tomorrow! I have filled in the paperwork and have his vaccination certificates handy. I must say that we realised our dog is not the naughtiest today. We were at the dog park and Maxx was playing with a staffie and we were chatting to the staffie’s owner when she said óh here comes Ollie. He’s a yellow lab too but watch him, he likes to steal stuff so watch anything you have in your hand’. Sure enough, Ollie bounded up to me and jumped up and tried to take my phone out of my hand! Anyway the three dogs were off playing and OH whistled for Maxx. Bless him, a rare day of listening and he trotted back to us. Of course he had to have a treat and OH had steak in a ziplock bag, in a zipped up bum bag on his hip. He gave a piece to Maxx and put it away again. Oh no, not good enough. Ollie ran up behind and in one leap broke the bum bag zip and took the plastic bag out and took off with it! Ollie’s owner had a bad knee so Choppers mum (chopper is the staffie), myself and OH were frantically chasing Ollie who was chewing on the plastic bag as he ran. OH did a very impressive rugby tackle (he is 53 note) and grabbed his collar. He was trying to get the bag out of his mouth and this is where Maxx would have given it straight up. We have been successful at this; anytime he picks something up if we ask for it he gives it straight to us. Anyway hubby had to put his hand right into Ollie’s mouth and of course he got bitten. Not badly, just a few holes but his hand bled quite a bit. He got the bag out eventually so thank goodness we didn’t have to rush Ollie to the vet. Our almost new bum bag is wrecked too so not a very successful day out

Gosh, I’ve warbled away with my story and now I have to run as my sauce is simmering away. Back soon!

What sort of distance are you putting in with your running Turnabout?

I gave up on running after I had my allergies that knocked me out of action for a few days, but I’ve been ramping up my work on the exercise bike and I can do up to an hour and a half flat out cycling in a session now. I should well and truly be ready for the Clutha Gold trail in spring time, of course it’ll take well longer than an hour and a half, but you’re not going flat out the whole time.

I had a bit of a lie-in this morning, and since the rain has been absolutely pelting down today, it’s been a pretty quiet day. I’m cooking up a nice healthy Rohan Josh for dinner (and naan for the rest of the family that I’ll be avoiding) then tonight we have our monthly 500 session with some friends that’s always a real laugh.

Starting to feel a little more refreshed.

Good evening all.

I feel so relived that I’ve actually managed to complete a properly controlled NFD – the first in a while. Over the last week my NFDs have included either easter buns, easter chocolate or home made biscuits (an easter gift) – some awful days involved all three! I don’t understand why some weeks are easy to be controlled on NFDs and some it feels impossible. I know easter doesn’t help, but I don’t believe it’s the only cause.

Neil and Turn – we could use a bit of your rain if you have some spare.

Anzac, glad you put your foot down about lessons. I suspect Ollie’s behaviour was a very good reminder for your OH of how you don’t want to be viewed as irresponsible dog owners.

Thin, I went back and watched a trailer for “St Vincent” and realized it’s one that we saw several years ago. You’re right, it was a good movie. I’ve always liked Bill Murray. Curious though that we have to pay to watch it on Netflix. Their movies seem to come and go.

Anzac, I hope Ollie’s owner offered to pay for the broken bum bag and any medical expenses that could result from the bite. A dog like that should not be off-leash in a public place. Imagine if it had been a little kid eating something.

Thank you for sending some warm weather this way. It’s supposed to get up to about 28 today. I think it was around 29 yesterday. Now if it could just stay like this all summer and not get into the mid 30’s and low 40’s. We have a few more plants blooming now, some snapdragons that we planted last year and the red azaleas that have been there for several. I also posted a picture of Cooper, our very spoiled dog.
    https://imgur.com/a/GeGDthl
    You can see the little bougainvillea that I planted a few days ago, in the ground behind the snapdragons.

LJ, I don’t know what it is about this time of year that makes overeating so attractive. At least you have an excuse of colder weather. I should be less hungry with the warm weather. I guess Easter with the sweets everywhere plays a part.
    Cinque, re the egg coloring, I guess that does seem like more of a Spring activity than a Autumn one. Although you could color the eggs in Fall colors. 😁 Colored eggs always seem to taste better. It would be a fun thing for the Little Misses. (And probably a very messy one!)

Neil, I had to look up Rohan Josh since I had never heard of that dish before. It looks really good. I love long simmered meats. That would be good in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. There seem to be several different recipes for it. One had yogurt mixed in. That sounds really good. Hope you’re getting some much deserved rest after your long work days this last week.

Turn, I don’t run anymore but I have gotten in a couple 10,000 and one 22,000 step days this week. It does help just a bit to counteract the eating but certainly not enough.

Betsy, I usually have a cast iron stomach, but too much fat makes me feel yukky too, although I do like the taste of fatty foods. Maybe that’s why I could never stick to the Atkins diet when it was popular.

Lindsay, sorry about the cost of the car repairs. That’s a lot. I hope it revives the car enough that you can get a couple more years out of it.
    My dad used to hide our colored eggs the night before Easter morning. Then he would write clues on little pieces of paper, sometimes with a rhyme. I remember one year he hid an egg in a light fixture, sort of a hanging bowl type chandelier. We didn’t find it on Easter and he forgot that he put it there. It was only after about a month that the smell led us to it. The cat got blamed for a least a week prior although we couldn’t find any evidence of a poop anywhere. 😁

Good morning from my cool, grey part of Melbourne. Sunday morning 8:22. Fast Day for me.
    Shiitake and yuba are soaking nicely and I have radishes, carrot and spring onions for my vegetables, and my lovely fresh jars of miso in the fridge. Happy Cinque.

Just a quick note before I get ready for the grandkids to visit.

Cali, you (and all the other egg colourers) make me realise that I am just not a big boiled egg eater, so no wonder I can’t be bothered with that ritual, pretty though it is. But how I love the idea of your dad’s rhyme clues!

Turn, woohoo for that lovely run. Doesn’t it feel great to be able to keep going!
    I am enjoying the Autumn leaves too.

Anzac, today is the day! So keen to hear how Maxx’s first day goes.

Neil, glad you are feeling a bit better. Yum, Rogan Josh. (Cali my recipe is made in the pressure cooker, and yoghurt is mixed in at the end. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!).

LJoyce, congratulations on getting back on track. I completely blame Easter and all those extra feasty bits setting off your microbiome and hormones and whatever other body signals mess us up. It is over now, hooray!

Must go. Cheers all.

Hello 66yr young paraplegic wanting helps and tips to help me lose weight using the 4-3 plan, i am unable to weigh myself due to these wheels i have affixed to me, so am only able to judge weight loss by clothes fit or non fit exercise is something i watch others do, but need to lose weight so i can keep lifting myself in transfers not wanting to use a lifter yet so weight loss is for me

Back in sync with you Cinque, a lovely Sunday FD. Fresh asparagus ready for steaming and a large head of cauliflower bought at a decent price will replenish my freezer stocks today.

CalifD, Anzac, I agree. That dog needs a muzzle and not to be allowed off lead. Where was the owner during all this? In no way would you have been responsible had it eaten the plastic bag. Good for you for deciding on puppy school today. A win for all concerned, not the least of all, Maxx.

One of my lovely neighbours said an interesting thing to me yesterday. It was that we had been very unlucky in a neighbourhood of tightly held properties to always have transients next door. She pointed out that, with stable neighbours, you get used to the various phases of the children who eventually grow up and grow out of their most annoying habits. In our case, there has been a perpetual state of newcomers seemingly locked into a pre-determined profile of families with quite boisterous young children for over 10 years (punctuated by the airbnb fiasco). It’s an interesting point, the people over the back have a pool but the children are now grown, same ages as our own young adult, the owners have become empty nesters and it’s never a factor. Oh well, one more day of school hols and then some respite.

It is forecast for 30C today! I must wash and vacuum the car.

Crazy artist, welcome to our forum. My first tip is that you get a copy of Dr M.’s fast book which you can read in a couple of days. I’m not sure why you’re planning 4:3 but I’d suggest mastering two FDs first (5:2). You can shed a lot of weight through fasting without much (or any) exercise as many of us here have discovered. I’d also suggest getting some form of baseline though – perhaps weighing you and your w/c on a clinic/hospital’s wheelchair scales. We also have a recipe page where you can find a lot of nutritious FD meals. I’ll post the link separately so I don’t lose my post. Meanwhile, ask us anything.

Hi Crazy artist, welcome here and congratulations on already having lost weight with five weeks of 5:2.
    I don’t use scales and I really do think that judging by clothes and how you look in the mirror causes less angst that seeing the scales weight fluctuating.
    Keeping your eye on the longterm benefits helps too.

Trying 4:3 is a great idea for seeing if you can lose some of that extra weight more quickly, and if it causes any problems you can just go straight back to 5:2. (Or you can try a week of 800calories a day, as per Dr Mosley’s latest book).

My sympathy for the way medications so often make gaining weight easier, and losing it harder.

I have a chronic illness that keeps me sedentary (ME/CFS) and I can attest that 5:2 works fine without exercise, as can others here with health issues. I am well down in my healthy weight range and have been maintaining it for two and a half years. (I know this from my doctor’s scales 😉 ).

Sunday is one of my fast days, so cheers for being a new fasting buddy at least once a week!

Hi Thin, crossed paths. Woo 30! Currently 14C here. A nice posse of Sunday fasters today!

Crazy artist, here is the recipe page link:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/

I was originally responding to your request for tips but having now read your profile, I see that you have already practiced 5:2 and want to speed up your loss. From what I’ve read on these pages (I’ve been here since we were on page 42), 4:3 participants don’t seem to fare much better than when they were fasting just two days. There’s also the likelihood of it starting to feel like a diet. The whole point of this is sustainability for life. The plan touts that you can have what you want most of the time and it delivers that. I concede that 4 days is still most of the time but you get my point. Anyway, whatever you decide, there are plenty of people here to support you. And, as you’ve already read, we are all very different in our approach!

Thankyou to you both the recipe page will be used, thanks from a grateful kiwi

Good morning SHs.

I’m having an impromptu FD. Originally the plan was to go out to the Oakbank Hotel for dinner, but family ill health has led to that being cancelled. I jumped at the change to fast on my favourite fasting day – Sunday. My new dress will have to wait for another first outing.
    To be honest I am glad I don’t have a food challenge day to deal with today. I feel like I only got my eating under control yesterday and it still feels a bit fragile.

Crazyartist, welcome. As others have said, being able to exercise is not a requirement as a few of us with chronic illnesses can attest. I agree with Cinque, the fit of your clothing is a really good (low anxiety) guide to whether your weight loss is progressing. The other tool you might be able to use at home is a tape measure. If you were able to regularly record measurements of at least 1-2 torso areas it would be something you could track at home that would reassure you that your body is getting smaller. Even just a waist measurement would be great, as this is the most critical area that indicates good cardiovascular and blood sugar health. The only problem with not knowing your weight is that you can’t work out your TDEE https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ however if you know your height then you could just work it out for the weight you want to be.
    I tried both 5:2 and 4:3 and found 4:3 felt too restrictive. However what suits you will be individual, so there is no harm in trying it. Neil (a fellow Kiwi) has just moved onto 4:3 so he may have some wisdom to offer too. The other option is Fast800, which means sticking to 800cal every single day. That’s a very fast way of getting your weight down but very limiting if you have a social life that involves food.

Cinque, enjoy your miso soup – I assume that’s the plan for today’s FD? I have a 1/2 serve of moussaka in the fridge that I will team with some veg for dinner.
    We too have had a few grey days, but not a speck of rain so far.

Cali, they are really pretty eggs – I like the marbled effect. What a lovely family tradition. We never did coloured eggs, just a very small amount of chocolate.
    Cooper is adorable. Is that his huge tub of toys in the background? Does he put them away himself? (My aunt’s dog has been trained to do that, it’s seriously cute to watch.)

Anzac, how did Maxx go at puppy/adolescent school?

Thin, I think that’s true about children going through stages. One of my neighbours said that ti was especially good when there were several families in the street whose kids were a similar age as they often played together – one family got all the noise and the others had an afternoon off.

Neil, hope you enjoyed the rogan josh, it’s a favourite of mine too. Avoiding naan is a challenge – well done if you pulled that one off.

Turn, I’m so impressed with your running progress. I hope you managed to avoid the rain and puddles.

I’m walking with my best friend this afternoon. I always find the time just flies by when I walk with someone – to busy chatting to notice the distance.

Time for another cuppa I think.
    Have a good day everyone – fasting or otherwise.

Four fasters today! LJ, good that have a FD to enjoy. I’ve just grated fresh nutmeg for my cauliflower soup.

And another kiwi – we’ve often had a lone kiwi here but now there are five if you count Turn and Anzac’s OH! Good representation from the land of the long white cloud.

Hi everyone and welcome Crazy Artist. I’m an Aussie but my hubby is a Kiwi, from Wellington, and we live in Sydney. This forum is awesome so stick around and you will get so much help and support. I know I have/do

Training this morning with Mad Maxx went well and it was fun. He was a nightmare of course, leaping and lunging and barking so we had to sit at the end to try and calm him. There were 9 dogs in Kindergarten and the trainer was absolutely lovely. They train with positive reinforcement only (as opposed to punishing bad behaviour), which is what we do, so that was a relief. She is a lab owner so was sympathetic to our troubles with Maxx. Anyway by the end he was doing a lovely, calm walk forward with hubby and executing a perfectly passable about turn. He got ‘most improved’. Awwww

Have had a few very bad eating days so looking forward to getting back into fasting tomorrow. Have cooked up lots of FD meals and they are in the freezer. Dad is away for a month so I can do my preferred Monday/Wed FD’s

I will reply to everyone tomorrow as I am currently helping OH with some reno stuff so must dash back to it. I miss our nice chats!

Hi all,

Thin – I wish there were more of us from this beautiful country on here, I do try and encourage everyone I know who is interested (without ramming this amazing WOL down their throats!!) They are probaly like me and still lurking as I was for the first year or so hahaha!!!

LJ – Thank you for your contineud support and words of encouragement on my running, it is most appreciated. I have decided after a week of no activity apart from walking that I would change tact a little as my left knee was feeling pretty thick and I had difficulty with stretching it on my warm up, so I decided to jog more than run and am going slower and less hard. It seems to be working and I’m falling into a much better rhythym. I always seemt to get out of breath when exerting at many sports, running seems to be one of them, also swimming so I must find a way to manage my breathing better somehow.

Cinque – I have to say it felt good to keep going again this morning, jogging basically the whole route today which I have recorded at around 2kms, although I can clock it in the car to get a more accurate readout!! I thought I would get better at this length before I lenghten it and then speed up. I haven’t made it to the yoga class and am cross with myself for not doing it sooner now but wasn’t in the right “place” before. Th teacher’s new term of classes begins tomorrow and it runs until the end of June so I’ll be away for half of them!!! Seemed a bit pointless for me really, but she seems to have a good following here, has been doing child yoga through the holidays which I think is great. It’s something I have always wanted to do but just never got into, my mother still goes to class, (she’ll be 80 this year!) and my younger sister does it all the time and is now with a yoga instructor!!!!! I am sure I will get to do some soon though, what kind do you do?

CalifD – We also stumbled upon Blacklist and I can take or leave it but OH seems to really like it, he watches it on his own now! Still working our way through Endeavour and I am so loving it, the casting is excellent, and Morse is so convincing. I do agree with everyone with Thursday though, shame they don’t make like coppers like him anymore!!! Just the one series left before it shows on NZ TV again this winter, but will miss that so have some to catch up with on our return!!

Betsy – Hope you are having more success getting to 70 than I am at present, seem to be yoyoing a bit too much for my liking, be glad to see the back of 74!!!!

I will have to finish this later as coffee is calling, enjoy your sunday everyone, fasting or not,

Turn

Someone is VERY tired after training today 🙂
    https://imgur.com/Fm6NFYm

He is gorgeous Anzac and yes, looking very tired!!!!!

Anzac, behaving well is hard work! 😇

Afternoon all. Welcome Crazyartist – this forum is just the place for you (and us all!) Good advice, absolutely non-judgmental, and every day something new, interesting or funny (and most days, all three).

Anzac, Ollie’s behaviour was nothing to do you you and your OH. I agree with Calif and Thin that it was the owner’s fault and the dog should have been muzzled. Has your OH had tetanus shots recently? Glad though that Maxx is getting training. It will make your lives easier. And my experience from my crazy Irish setters was that they loved the discipline and the reward of behaving well. (I still have visions of the three of them when I slipped their leads on the off-leash beach, up and off like red rockets, leaping over three barely bikinied women laying full stretch in the sun, scattering sand over their oiled forms. Unimpressed, I think sums it up. And quite right too.

Well I am now officially an apiarist! My honey bees arrived this morning. I’ve already been stung – I only had a net and hat, and one got inside and got me on the ear. It hurt. I was brave (haha). I now leave them for a month and the ‘proper’ beekeeper will come back to refresh my training, and then I am on my own. And I’ve bought a suit online now. I tend to be a bit cavalier about stuff like that, but I’d forgotten how much bee stings hurt. I’m also buying the little ones suits. It looked like a Hazmat zone here this morning, when the fully suited beekeeper and OH were installing the hive.

Thin (and others), here’s a question about neighbours. Before they moved in, a friend who was house-sitting used to leave the pool fence propped open with a rock. We went over and politely explained it wasn’t on. Then a few days ago, the visiting relatives from China did the same thing. My DD (with 3 year old in tow) and my OH went over to try to explain they couldn’t do that. The relatives don’t speak English but the 11 year old seemed to get the message and translated. Now, again today, the pool fence is propped open. We don’t want to report them – but they don’t seem to get the message and it’s too dangerous not to do something. Thoughts?

Calif love the eggs and the azaleas and camellia….so much so we went to the nursery yesterday and bought two, to replace the one I lost a couple of months ago, and another to keep it company.

Cinque I recorded Gardening Australia so got to watch it later. The little girls slept through til 6.30, after lots of giggling and story telling in bed. Miss 5 told her Mum she was having so much fun, she forgot to miss her. I’m tired today though – OH went in one direction last night and me in the other, to sit with the 4 while their respective parents went to dinner to celebrate a family birthday (I think I mentioned, DIL and SIL are cousins).

Thin, your neighbour is quite right. A house of renters can really upset the vibe of a solid neighbourhood. I don’t suppose you could all kick in and buy the house, just to get the peace back? At least it would give you some control over who lives there.

OK time to hit the shower – off to dinner with my bestie.

Have a good night all.

Lindsay, I used to know a lady from my gym days who bought the house next to her and put a caveat on it that no pool could ever be built there – and then re-sold it. As far as your question – is this ‘pool gate propping’ creating an immediate drowning danger to others or only the inhabitants and visitors to the offending property? If the latter, I think you’ve done your bit. If the former, I would report it. In WA, people who have pools pay a fee which covers annual safety inspections. Yet our local authority never inspects, they just send the annual bill. If it’s the same there, make them earn that fee!

How exciting about the bees although your report of the sting made me re-live our severe attack in Sri Lanka last year during which we were all stung on the face and head multiple times over a 20 minute period. Horrendous. Aren’t your little ones cute with the things they come out with! You painted a marvellous picture of the Irish Setters too.

Anzac, lovely photo of Maxx and fantastic news about the training.

Turn, that’s funny that three of us starting watching Blacklist and only the males in the families are still watching it.

LJ, hope your FD went well. I have felt hungry most of today. I know why – I had three things I normally don’t eat/drink last evening and I’m paying the price. Firstly, OH found some home brewed beer under the floorboards that had long been forgotten and, wow, was it good! We shared a big bottle three ways. I also had ice cream, who knows why I bought that. And a Lindt chocolate. Oh well, hunger comes and goes and it’s almost time to start steaming asparagus and microwave poaching my egg. Smoked salmon all weighed out…..yum.

FD has gone well, although I suspect I ate closer to 500cals than I usually do. The colder weather is largely to blame for that I think.

Lindsay, I hope the sting can be overlooked with the joy of having your own honey bees. Seeing the littlies in their bee suits would be a treat.
    I agree with Thin about the pool – you’ve warned them multiple times so they know the risks. I’d only take it further if the general public was at risk.

Thin, I hope the home brew, ice cream and chocolate were worth it (that’s an odd combination). Home brew always reminds me of a New Zealander who I was in a student share house with in the 1980s. He liked making his own home brew and when he’d bottled one batch he piled them into bottom of his wardrobe. We were all in the lounge one night when one of them exploded. Of course you know what happens when one bottle goes – it sets all its neighbours off. I suspect he still hasn’t gotten all the shards of brown glass and the beer smell out of those clothes!

Anzac, now you know how to wear Maxx out – obedience classes.

Time for a cup of decaf chai and then bed as I have to be up quite early. Night all.

I just learned something. If I go to look at pictures of Maxx I lose the post I am halfway through. He looks quite relaxed.

Lindsay L. Strange things bees. When I had a veg patch on the outskirts of London the guy on the next patch had five hives. They worked my area as well as his but pretty much ignored me and my dog, unless I was wearing a blue shirt. Then they would crawl all over me, but in a friendly sort of way.

LJ. I recognise the exploding home brew scenario – been there.

We are grounded at the moment. OH has been having problems with a painful foot. The X-ray revealed an old fracture she didn’t know she had done, which explains the problem of buying walking boots that are comfortable. I have just cheered her (or possibly not) by telling her that she is on the same combination of anti-inflammatories and painkillers as the neighbour’s collie dog.

Penguin, great to see you here again. I hope OH is feeling better soon when the painkillers kick in. Are you back home now? Awaiting the birth of the Royal Little? 😁

Lindsay, it must be so cute watching the grandies running around in their little bee suits. I was thinking about going to the nursery too today. I’m motivated by all the flowers that are blooming. We went from a stark garden with not too many green things to a lush landscape again. I’m glad I’m not in the Midwest and northern states. They were predicting 5 – 8 inches of snow. That’s practically unheard of so late in April. Crazy weather all over the world lately.

Welcome, Crazy Artist. Good to have you here!

Hi Cali, I have been lurking without posting since we got back to UK five weeks ago. We have been busy, on the move a lot, and much of the conversation has been in areas where I didn’t have anything to contribute so I contented myself with catching up every few days. The excitement about Royal babies is mostly a newspaper sales device, although OH seems to know them all. The other newspaper sales devices are to invent Royal family feuds and trash Megan.

Good morning everyone,
    Another early morning for me, sigh, but I am not feeling too wrecked. Delicious miso soup last night. Nice morning-after-fast-day breakfast.
    I have already picked some warrigal greens and blanched them, and dug up a nettle that started itself off in my garden and planted in an out of the way place (because I LOVE nettles as a green).

I hope your fast day went well Crazy artist. Are you an artist?

LJoyce, pity you didn’t get to show off your new dress yesterday, but its time will come. I hope you had a lovely fast day and that you are enjoying feeling ‘back on track’.

I am so happy about that good rain that should come through on Wednesday, I think you will get it as well as us, and up through NSW too. Much needed.

Anzac, I am so glad the puppy training went well, that Maxx loved it and won ‘most improved’ and was so tuckered out by it, haha. Such a cute picture.

Turnabout, the yoga I do is a dvd by Wai Lana. I think it is hatha yoga. It is a very old dvd but she is gorgeous and I can strip the exercises back to basic stretches so I don’t exacerbate my illness.
    Actually, I always do end up overdoing it, and then have to stop and recover for weeks or months, and then start doing it again. But I love how stretches every part of the body. Hooray for your mum!

So glad you appreciate Inspector Thursday too 🙂

Lindsay, congratulations on your new bees! I am quite allergic to bee stings, so I must say my preference is for your native bees, but on the other hand, you are a sensible distance away from me, so that’s okay. 😉

Just love that little Miss 5.
    Oh dear, I really worry with you about that pool next door. Might the council have a leaflet in Mandarin? (If that is what they speak?).

Thin, what a gorgeous surprise to find that delicious beer. Isn’t it weird how we overdo things in several directions at the same time. Hope your fast day was an excellent rest and reset.

Penguin, always lovely to catch up, but sympathies to Mrs Penguin. Hopefully now she knows why her foot is painful she will be able to control the pain and manage it. Now why would you think she would be offended by comparing her to the neighbour’s dog???
    Lovely bee story!

Well, I am having a lovely day food wise. My meals are planned in my head, all delicious, and no snacks between. Next fast day: Wednesday.

Cali, that is crazy weather near you. I am glad you are having verdant spring, enjoy the nursery, if you get there.

Well, off to have my precious day. Cheers all.

Morning friends,

LJ, I’ve heard those stories of exploding home brew, fortunately it never happened to us. I ate/drank those non-food items over the course of the evening, not as a combo snack! It was a tough FD as a result and an even harder night. I woke hungry several times but I’m fine now after a lovely frothy coffee and the thought of the second one. Typing fast ….

Cinque, yes thanks, I’m all ‘re-set’! Enjoy your fabulous post FD.

Penguin, nice to see you back. Many of our surgeries/medicines were first tested on animals so it’s good to know that they are now enjoying all the available benefits, at least if they have owners who can afford them and are willing to pay. It’s amazing how quickly a dog recovers from the same surgery a human takes weeks to get over. DD says dogs have three legs and a spare.

Monday fasters, have a great day.

Hey guys thanks for the welcomes.. cinique yes i am an artist and a jp so keep myself fairly busy i teach classes as well so can be fun in a sarcastic way lol my fast day passed uneventful though my OH pulled out a whittakers block of chocolate and commenced to demolish it in front of me … i was good i never said a word but no cuddle from me hahaha hope everyone has a good day

Good morning! It was very cold this morning and even with a light jacket I felt chilly. Will be 23 today but the nights and mornings have started to plummet.

I’ve had a lovely catch up on everyone’s posts this morning and it sounds like everyone is going well. Cali, Cooper is just adorable! Look at his little face 

Thin, did the brat kids next door every pluck up the courage to come and ask for their ball back? I love the idea of the street kicking in and buying the house but not the most practical solution!

Hello Penguin, sorry the Maxx picture made you lose your post. Thanks everyone for your kind words; he certainly does look like an angel when he is asleep but the second he is out the front door and in the vicinity of other dogs he becomes a kangaroo on methamphetamine on the end of the leash. We hope that will change soon.

Sorry to hear about your bee sting Lindsay – ouch! And on your ear, double ouch. I can picture yourself and the grandkids in the suits – very cute. That was a good thought about the tetanus shot as one of the bites looks to be infected. I just called him and he is sure he had one a few years back but we will keep an eye on it. He is putting betadine on it several times a day so hopefully it won’t get worse. Ollie and his owner did not show up at training unfortunately. If he turns up again at the dog park OH is going to leave straight away.

OH and I went out for lunch on Anzac day. Now that might not sound monumental but it was as it is the first time we have been out together since we got Max 13 months ago. We have had trips to the shops or other short times where we have left him and then there was the horrible time when I had to rush OH to the hospital and we were gone for 4 hours. We walked to our local golf club for some lunch then two-up and chat with the neighbours. We came home to a yawning, calm dog so thankfully he didn’t freak out. Win!

Glad you are feeling a little bit less tired today Cinque and I hope you enjoyed your post FD breakfast.

LJ, it sounds like you and I had a not-so-good Easter NFD wise. Glad you have been able to get back on track. I was doing well but then the last couple of days I went off the Richter and have paid for it by putting back on the bit I’d lost over Easter and then more. FD today and I know it will be a challenge but I’m up for it.

Glad it is warming up Cali! Just as we are descending into Winter. This year will feel a bit like one long winter as we will be heading for 6 weeks of winter just as our summer starts but small price to pay for a fabulous trip. I’ve been trying to learn French using Duolingo on my phone to and from work but gosh it’s hard! I did a lot of languages at school and did quite well with them but that was a LONG LONG time ago

Turnabout, I agree that your country is beautiful. I lived in Wellington for 2 years (that’s where I met hubby) and I loved the City and the people and the culture. But. The. Weather. I just couldn’t stand the cold and the wind so I convinced hubby to move back to Australia with me. That was 31 years ago! Don’t worry, he still calls himself a Kiwi and if anyone ever calls him an Australian he gets very insulted!

Ok, better do some work. Take care all and happy fasting to anyone who is fasting with me today

Anyone else get fat days? Where you know you’ve lost a lot of weight and you are nowhere near the size you were, but you just wake up in the morning thinking “God I’m fat” I had one of those this morning, I don’t know, chalk it up to winter blues because of the crappy weather over the weekend.

I doubt I’ll see much movement on the scales this week because I haven’t seen much movement on my belt. I generally have a correlation of 1 kilo = 1 cm of waist measurement. Last weigh-in I was 109.6 kilos and waist measurement was just over 109 cm. Three kilos lost sees me drop 1 notch on my belt, but this week the belt still seems as tight as it was last week, and my weigh-in is in 2 days. Probably because I sank a few drinks on Friday night after my hectic week and my oldest boy had his 13th birthday (yes, I’m now the proud owner of my very own teenager) We had a family gathering to celebrate and I ate a bit too much.

Hello!! Can I please join your forum?

I’ve been doing 5:2 on and off for years and used to participate in the monthly challenges. Now that I’ve moved back to Australia after a few years away, I’d like to be on the same time zone as other Southern Hemispherites. I find these forums such an enormous support.

Looking forward to “meeting” you all!

Good morning everyone

Firstly, welcome Crazy artist and Penz to this awesome forum. We all love it here and I hope you do too.

I am back at work today and on a FD. I’m really happy to be fasting today as I haven’t managed one in the last 10 days that I have been away from work. I tried to do one on Tuesday after Easter but I was so hungry and so I ended up breaking it. After failing on Tuesday I decided I wouldn’t try again until I went back to work and so what do you think happened? On Wednesday, a NFD, I was hardly hungry and so I had a very controlled NFD. I don’t know if it was psychological or something else, but I found it really easy not to eat too much that day. Such a big difference to Tuesday which was supposed to be my FD. LJ, I don’t know why this happens to us. Some people say it is because of what we eat in the preceding days but I don’t find this affects my eating on NFDs. I just don’t know.

I have been exercising a lot over my time off and I feel so much better for it. It is hard to get out of bed now that the weather is turning though. I hate winter! the only thing that is good about it is that our phobia conquering holiday is getting closer. Oh and I love having the wood fire on in the evenings.

OH and I spent some of yesterday planting our garden with winter crops. We have put in cauliflowers, broccoli and cabbage, all in a mini variety. We have also planted Wombok and Pak Choy and peas. I am hoping we have more success this season as we will be able to keep those horrible white butterflies out. We have put seeds in for spinach and kale and next weekend will be garlic planting time. It is always exciting when the garlic goes in. LJ, you mentioned your eggplant. We have had no success this season. They had a grey skin blemish on the bottoms but I have no idea what has caused it. Our late capsicums have also come up with the same blemish.

Anzac, Yay for Maxx starting training. Your OH was good to go chase Ollie to get the plastic bag. Sorry he had to get bitten though. Keep an eye on those puncture holes, they can get infected very quickly. Did I ever tell you about the time our dog swallowed triple gang hooks?

Neil, I often get ‘fat’ days. It is strange because when I get on the scales, the ‘fatness’ is not reflected in the reading. Other days I feel quite slim and yet the scales say I have put on 2kg! I do wonder about how accurate these scales are….

Anyone know why we tend to put on weight when we start exercising?

There is so much more I want to write but I need to get some work done. Thinking of you all and hope everyone has a great day. Hope us fasters have a really easy one 🙂 🙂

Welcome Penz! We would love to have you join us and will find a place of enormous support and fun. Where in Aust do you live? I’m in Sydney and live with my hubby of nearly 27 years (nearly 32 together) and our crazy Labrador Maxx. Maxx’s antics I think (hope) bring some smiles and many eye-rolls!

Quacka – triple gang hooks????? OH NO! I’m guessing a very quick run to the vet was required? OUCHIE poor pooch. Maxx was running around the house with a $50 note the other day. Glad we have plastic money now and not paper!

FD going well, gosh it’s hard after a short break. I had a mandarin at 11.00 and just finished my small chicken salad. Lots of water, a big glass of Metamucil and two black coffees, soon to be three

Neil, every day is a fat day for me but not for long I hope!

Crazy Artist, naughty OH! He could have at least snuck off to another room to eat the chocolate. Good on you for not having any. My last FD was not so good for a similar reason. Hubby decided he would cook himself steak and chips and when I thought about my dinner I just couldn’t stomach it and had a very small portion of S&C instead. GAH

I think I need danger money when babysitting. Last week I had to tackle the bee and spider on the trampoline, today I fell face first onto the concrete during a soccer game. Getting the kids outside and exercising might be good for them, for me it’s proving to be a hazard!
    Not a good FD – it involved chocolate and chicken nuggets! I will do better tomorrow.

Welcome Penz.

Hi all

So many posts in so little time.

LJ. The battle of the bee and the spider sounds hilarious, they must have thought it was too much fun to go away. All that effort and the kids wouldn’t go back on. Probably good aerobic exercise for you. The walking tour sounds great, i haven’t spent much time in Adelaide but I do remember some well preserved historical buildings. Enjoy your bras and dress, and your dinner.

Merry. So nice to hear from you. Best wishes for OH, tough while you are going through the process but so worth it at the end. An OS wedding is very exciting if a little more stressful than usual. Hope it all comes together for your whole family.

Anzac. Glad you got to training with Maxx, dogs love it because they have your undivided attention, now for the homework.He is a scallywag, what does he like about tea towels? OH needs to take him for a long run and tire him out so he can do his tiling. Well done on your bonus points, they will be very useful when you travel. Hope you get back on track with FD etc now you are back at work. Your bathroom looks lovely, I take it that it is nowhere near the cow wife’s fence. Wow, just read about Ollie, he must be a nightmare for his owner, and any one else in his vicinity. Well done OH, pity there weren’t any photos. Hope his hand is ok.

Minka. That LCHF diet sounds quite challenging particularly if it means you are doing housework at night. Might help you have a tidy house but not enough rest. I am interested to know if you are still taking Inulin as you seemed to feel that you benefitted from having that in your diet. I can understand you would want to find something which would help with hunger if it is getting out of control. Best of luck, hope you find a solution.

Kiwi. I hope your operation goes well and you get good results. With 3 kids, that chocolate will go like snow in summer. Have you instructed your caterers on FD etc so you get the right level of food.

Betsy. If you have already completed all those other qualifications, you have a good track record. You will find the right moment and it will all slip into place, just like your Fast800 has.

Cinque. Thank goodness granddaughter slept ok but I can imagine you trying to sleep with one eye open. I love the idea of the flyswat but Mr G would probably use it on me. Hope you have completely recovered and your little garden is starting to give you some fresh vegies and herbs for all your tasty cooking.

Calif. your eggs and azaleas are both beautiful. I have a photo of my eggs but still haven’t worked out imgur. I think one of the simplest and best was turmeric, the longer it soaked the more golden it looked. The little I know about weighted blankets applies to people on the autistic spectrum, some people find that it is very calming to snuggle under a weighted blanket as it helps with sensory processing disorder (SPD) which many autistic people have. Cooper looks like he is in a very happy place , what is the point of not spoiling your dog, as long as he isn’t Ollie, that’s why we have pets. Bobby has just jumped up on the bed for a cuddle and he is lovely company..

Crazy artist. Welcome, well done on starting 5-2. I have been on 5-2 for 4 months and the results were so good that I have never needed to consider 4-3. I know that others have but there is also many who suggest the benefits are not worth the effort. You will find lots of support here so please keep popping in with your progress and any questions. There are some very experienced people on this thread who have lost lots of weight and more importantly have kept it off by being committed to 5-2. Does your name mean you are creative, tell us about that too.

Lindsay. That’s a hefty repair bill, hope that means a car will be good for a lot longer. Ha ha, stern grandma face, bet that didn’t last long, I’m not very good at tough love either. I’m always getting into trouble with OH because I let them get away with more than he would. nice that they enjoyed themselves so much. A bit hazardous at your place now with bees and pool gates being open. You can at least control your side of the fence. Do you have any contacts with Chinese speakers who could come and explain the problem and the fact that they could face heavy penalties. It is more important that children are safe than you having good relations with your neighbours. I have seen first hand the devastation of a child drowning and it is a real tragedy.

Neil. That is so unfair that you had all that extra work, hope your boss appreciates you. Was it a bit easier now that you are healthier. That is very impressive bike riding, no wonder you are getting good results on the scales. How far would that take you. I had a look at some bike trails in NZ and ,most of them were pretty hilly, does that apply to the one you want to ride?

Turn. I bet your night with friends was good for your soul, that sort of get together is to be treasured and any excess can be dealt with on another day. Well done on the run, do you measure distance or time. What have you achieved so far. You and I seem to be neck and neck on weight, we will get there together. By the way, my ‘running’ is actually jogging, in fact on the Parkrun the walkers were passing me. Not important, being out there is what counts. I use steptracker on my phone and that tells me the distance I have covered

Thin. That was quite a combination. Is there any more of that home brew lurking, or has it inspired you and OH to make some more? Glad it was enjoyable. Fortunately, I don’t like many forms of alcohol so that’s one temptation less.

Penguin. How nice to hear from you. You are probably not very popular with Mrs P with that comparison so no doubt you are getting back in her good books by making delicious meals. Hopefully, the treatment gets her back on her feet especially with the better weather coming. We get the same tripe here about the royals, they deserve better.

Penz. Welcome too. You have come to the right place. Hope you can pop in often.

Quakka Your garden sounds wonderful, you put me to shame. With all the people on this forum growing their own food maybe that will be my next inspiration. Well done on the exercising and I sympathise with you over the cold weather but happy not to have to join you, retirement is great. Triple gang hooks, sounds painful and expensive. The beauty of this WOL is that a small portion of S&C fits in OK
    Thanks for the encouragement about my plateau, I’m not worried but I was doing so well I thought I was going to beat the odds. The trouble is I put in an order for a set of cheek bones, collar bones, a waist and some ankles. There are hints that they are on the way and I’m a little impatient. Had a lovely night last week seeing Muriel’s Wedding, a treat from DD and SIL. Yes, Rosy, we do have good live theatre here. Paid it back by having all the kids so that both sets of parents could have a rare outing together. Cupcakes this time, deck decorated again with sprinkles this time. Bobby cleaned them up for me. Long post, I’ll try and pop in more often

Hi all, checking in, though I don’t feel like much – heavy head cold, totally blocked sinuses and eustachian tubes, so can’t breathe normally, or hear normally. Sigh. Just have to get through it; it’s a virus so nothing for it except maybe Panadol and Claratyne. Had to up my asthma meds, as my peak flow readings were about 60% of normal, but the extra meds brought the reading up a bit. Enough that I felt I could breathe better, anyway. Hate feeling so woolly-headed.

Anyway, enough of that. Still managed a FD today, as I didn’t feel much like eating. Don’t think I’ll reach my April goal, but it’s not too bad.
    Turnabout, I got below the elusive 74kg on Saturday. Only 73.9kg, but that’s still on the right side of 74.

Anzac65, check when OH’s last tetanus injection was. They usually say to have one every ten years BUT if there is an incident (like the dog bite) another inoculation is given if it’s been more than 5 years since the last one. Glad Maxx is responding well to obedience school.

Welcome to Penz and crazy artist. I’ve only been part of the forum since late last year, but it’s been really helpful for my weight loss journey, and I’m sure you’ll find the same.

Quacka, we put on weight when we start exercising because muscle weighs more than fat. A simple fact of chemistry. Once our bodies builds their “muscle load”, we’ll see weight loss again from there. The other benefit of having more muscle is that it improves a person’s shape. BUT, I still have days like Neilithicman, where I look at myself in the mirror and think how fat I look. Well, I’m still just in the obese range for my height, so of course I still look fat – just not as fat as I used to look, that’s all.

What else – bees for LindsayL. My father didn’t have a full suit, but some kind of netting that covered his whole head and neck area, tucking into his shirt collar. And gloves. But he always used a smoker(? not sure of the name). Smoke tends to daze the bees so they don’t sting.

thinatlast, when are you playing bridge again?

Keep on keeping on everyone!

And that’s it for now. Have to head to bed. Just don’t want to, as lying down I’ll be breathing through my mouth to try to sleep.

The problem with not keeping on top of things and then reading lots to catch up is that you miss posts. Until I read Klondike’s post I didn’t realise that Merry was back. Good to hear from you Merry. Fingers and toes crossed for the the treatment.

Hi all

Klondike – I’m going at 20-25 KPH when I’m on the exercise bike so an hour and a half would be about 30-37 kilometers. The one I’m planning on doing is pretty flat, it’s got a big climb over the aptly named “big hill”(people naming stuff around New Zealand weren’t very imaginative) the rest of the trail goes up the Teviot valley and stays between 50 and 100 meters above sea level, which is why it’s a good one to start out on. Even the hill you don’t have to climb over the top because you go through an old rail tunnel

https://www.cluthagold.co.nz/assets/cluthagoldmap.pdf

I’m feeling a bit better this morning after a good hour or so on the bike last night and some left-over rogan josh and lentils. We’ve got swimming lessons for the boys tonight where I do a bit of aqua jogging, then weigh-in tomorrow morning.

Catching up on reading, and Cinque, I just saw your post about the blue banded bee. How very exciting. It shows your garden is feeding more than just you. My bee man told me that they have a particular way of fertilising – buzz pollination. If you listen carefully you can hear them doing just that as they buzz around your flowers.
    Oh Betsy you sound miserable. Poor thing. I hope you get over this soon. (and yes, it is a smoker. I’ve ordered one, but apparently the top bar hive bees don’t need as much disturbing, so don’t get as cranky. I’ll certainly be using it though when the children are ‘helping’ or when I am harvesting honey – next summer I think.
    Thin I am concerned for children passing by, or visiting, rather than the family. Cinque I will phone the Council to see if they have a Mandarin brochure – good advice. Klondi the owner speaks average English (she has a degree from an Australian university) but I think while the in-laws are visiting they prop the gate because it is easier for them to garden. So easy though for an accident in the front, while they are in the back.

Penguin, hope Mrs P is on the mend soon. They are funny things, bees, as your experience attests. My beekeeper (notice how proprietorial I’ve become) says that in time, I’ll get to know my hive and their behaviours and when they are happy, or not. Seems a bit far-fetched to me, but time will tell.

Cinque, we are a long way away, so unfortunately that means no sharing of honey when it arrives. The natives do produce honey, but in small quantities. They are so very entertaining to watch though.

Merry best wishes, for OH and a very successful treatment. How are you coping? Illness affects the whole family and your wellbeing is very important.

Anzac dog bites are highly toxic – a couple of years ago my OH got bitten by a friend’s dog at dinner, and initially didn’t pay it much attention, apart from some antiseptic cream. But the cream couldn’t reach the deeper puncture wounds and it flared badly and didn’t heal for ages. Would your OH see a doctor, as a precaution?

Thin, your Sri Lanka bee incident sounds horrendous. How did you cope with multiple stings? No anaphylaxis? And I am also amused that your OH found a bottle of beer under the floorboards. It really begs the question, what was he doing pulling up the floorboards? And of course you had to share it. You don’t get a find like that every day.

Quacka your gardening is an example to us all. So much fresh food, my green-fingered friend, and so so healthy in the planting, watching them grow, and then the harvest, cooking and sharing.

OK time to get moving. I need to pack today – which means washing and ironing first. Have a good day all.

And welcome Penz.

Good morning everyone,
    Crisp and clear here. Tuesday. Melbourne, 7:45 if I type quickly…

Rosy Posy your post came through! Hooray, it was worth waiting for: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-southern-hemispherites/page/411/#post-284959

Welcome Penz! Glad to have you here!

Crazy artist, it is very nice to have an artist here, I’m guessing it is art classes you teach (rather than jp ones 😉 ). Glad you survived the Wittakers torture.

Cali, I forgot to say how adorable Cooper is! Luckily so many other people did, I kept getting reminded. I think if I were to have a dog, I would like Cooper. (Sorry Maxx, I will enjoy you from afar).

Anzac, so glad you had such a lovely outing with Mr Anzac.
    Good luck with that language learning! It is very hard. Keep at it!

Talk of languages and weather reminded my to learn the season we are now in, according to the local traditional seasons (that suit us better than the European ones). And look! Bees!

Gwangal Moronn
    Season of honey bees: Autumn (late March to June)
    Sunrises, bees and flocking birds: Autumn (the season of native honey bees or gwangal moronn) is when the country starts to cool down after the summer heat.

Neil, fat days!
    My theory for my sequence is that our brain has to keep adjusting our reality.
    ie my sequence as I was losing weight went like this:

1. Woohoo! Look at me in the mirror! I’ve lost weight, I can see it! Look at that: a waist. Definitely a bit of waist. Look how loose that shirt is on me! Yee ha, skinny me!

2. (a day or two later) Yep, that shirt is definitely loose, I think I might have to send it to the op shop soon. This is great. I’m feeling more like a normal person. Ooh it is lovely.

3. (another couple of days later) HANG ON A MINUTE! Look at those rolls of fat. Oh my god my arms are still huge. Eek that chin. I am so fat! Oh dear I look horrible.

4. (a couple more fast days under my belt) Woohoo! Look at me in the mirror! I’ve lost weight, I can see it! Look at that: a waist. Definitely a bit of waist. Look how loose that shirt is on me! Yee ha, skinny me!

And so on…

Quacka, Hooray for normal routines that allow us to do our normal fast days! But hooray also, for all that exercise you fitted in on your time off.
    Oo I miss wood fires. They are so warm and cosy.
    Your garden sounds fab. It is so cold here my seedlings are stalling. I will be philosophical.

LJoyce, your poor face. Is it bruised and swollen? So unfair when you have been doing the right thing by the kids!!! Hope today is a an especially good one.

Klondi, What a ripper post. I am doing some tasty cooking thanks and, inspite of what I wrote above, I am getting lettuce, parsley, strawberries and herbs from my garden. Yum.

If you have a chance to work on imgur, just click this link: https://imgur.com/upload and if you click ‘browse’ you should be able to find your photo. Open it and then copy and paste the address at the top. Fingers crossed that works for you. Once you have done it once it gets easy.

And seriously, you look great! Cheekbones and all.

Betsy, my sympathy. Fingers crossed you have woken up this morning a bit better, or at least that the Claratyne is starting to kick in.

Hello everyone else. The time I put at the top of this post was a bit optimistic, it is 8:25am now. (In my defence I have hung out the washing).

Time to go. Best wishes and all good things.

Good morning all. Sunny and 25 in Sydney today but it was chilly again this morning on the way to work

LJ! Are you ok? You must be bruised to say the least, I’m so sorry this happened. Kids, yep, dangerous entities. It’s also more dangerous due to the food they eat that can so easily jump up and into your own mouth before you can stop it.

Hope your cold gets better soon Betsylee, it sounds quite bad and especially as you suffer from asthma. Congratulations on getting under 74! Whoo hoo!

Klondie, I laughed at your shopping list of body structures. I recently noticed I had collar bones for the first time in forever! I have a long, long way to go but the 12 kilos I’ve lost have made a difference for sure. I just need to accelerate now (which I am doing this week) because my not-so-good NFD’s slowed the weight loss too much and I’m frustrated and I keep going in the wrong direction. Maxx loves stealing stuff to get attention and that is completely our fault. He especially loves tea-towels and shoes. Sigh. OH lost about $500 worth of shoes this year – his two pairs of boots and brand-new expensive sheep skin slippers. The outdoor bathroom is thankfully nowhere near cow-wife’s fence. Hubby built the bath yesterday and there was 700 kilos of concrete! This had to be purchased, carried to the car, carried from the car to the garden and then mixed and the bath constructed. He was completely broken and could hardly walk last night but bless him, he still took Maxx for two walks.

I love coming home from work because apparently Maxx sits at the top of the stairs from about 15-30 minutes from when I’m due and as soon as he hears my key he launches himself down the stairs (thankfully carpeted) and executes about 10 minutes of full body wags, many kisses and squirming around my legs. It makes any yucky stuff from the day disappear immediately. I wish he would jump up at me or OH the way he has started jumping at other people as then we could train him out of it again. But he knows better the little scamp. The trainer said we have to do 5 minutes of formal training only at this stage. It has to be at the end of his big walk so he is tired and it also teaches him that there is a time for fun but there is also a time for serious workouts. Once he can differentiate hopefully he will immediately switch his brain into ‘training’ mode and know that he has to do what we are asking him. Time will tell.

A very good FD yesterday – challenging for sure – but I did it. AND hubby had steak and chips again! Brute. I had one chip and then ate my turnkey mince and vege bolognaise in cos lettuce and it was yum. I have a dodgy left calf where I tore it about 2 years ago and I felt it pull when I was walking down from the bus stop last night. So my planned pre-dinner walk had to be cancelled and I sat with it elevated with an ice pack and it is fine this morning. Phew. It was an almost level one tear and I did it 5 days before our big 25th wedding anniversary trip to Cuba, NY, San Fran and Fiji. My wonderful physio dropped everything and worked on me in his lunch breaks plus I spent those 5 days with my leg up and iced. Hubby had to pack for me and it was hilarious. I sat on the bed with my leg up pointing at stuff and then changing my mind about 100 times. He is not a patient man but he showed much restraint during this stressful time. The hilarious (NOT) thing is the day I did it was my last day at work and he said ‘for goodness sake, don’t break anything this close to the holiday’. I am the clumsiest person on the planet and he knows it and also knows when I am preoccupied it gets worse. Oops. I also had to tell a small fib about how I did it because he has a thing about jay-walking and I did it pushing off the kerb to dart across the street instead of walking to the crossing. Double oops. By the time we left I could hobble quite well and shortly into the holiday it was almost healed.

Quacka, your garden sounds amazing! Hubby loves his garden too but it’s not such a big food producing one. He has lots of different herbs, lemongrass, various types of chillies and capsicums. Our tomatoes failed for the last 2 years due to severe heat and severe caterpillars.

Your garden sounds lovely too Cali. I heard about the snow in the North and one of the ladies on the Labrador friends forum posted a picture of her backyard a couple of days ago. She is in Alberta Canada and her backyard was completely buried in snow! In late spring! No thanks….brrrr. I hate the cold

Neil, you are a weight loss/healthy eating/exercising machine. Kudos to you

Merry, hope your hubby is going ok with the radiation treatment.

Oooh Lindsay, packing! How exciting – do you leave tomorrow? I did tell OH to go to the doctor about the bites but of course he didn’t. I had a look this morning and they seem to be healing nicely. I love reading about your bees and look forward to watching them develop and produce some honey through your words

Thin, those bees in Sri Lanka sound terrifying. Ouch. I did laugh at the ‘beer under the floorboards’ story and of COURSE you had to share it.

Cinque, your steps 1-4 are almost exactly how I am about my weight. It is quite scary what our brain and imagination can do. And when I have too many day 3 days I tend to sabotage myself. Not any more though

Ok work time, sorry for the long post and I hope I didn’t bore anyone to tears! Have a great day all 

Whoa! So many posts, thankfully they’re all on the same page so I can scroll up and down.

Anzac, no the ferals didn’t come for their ball. School resumes today. How is the new job working out? Did you leave Maxx inside or outside when you and OH went out together?

Neil, commiserations about the teenager moving in with you. Just joshing, ours gave us no trouble at all and I’m sure yours will be a model young man. Yes, I experienced waking up and feeling fat most of my adult life. When I was overweight, my overweightness consumed me. I started the day by weighing, became despondent by what I saw on the scales, went to the gym and did a futile workout resolving to change. As the day wore on, I’d forget all that and repeat all the same food habits and nothing ever changed except when I went on starvation diets, lost a heap of weight only to return to the old habits, gain the weight back and more. That’s not you. You’re doing something about your weight that’s sustainable and for life. It doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as you always see a downward trend.

Penz, welcome to our forum. I visited your profile and saw a topic started by you and ended by Penguin a couple of years ago – so you already know someone here! Where in Oz do you live?

Quacka, your garden sounds amazing, you will have so much home grown produce. It’s generally accepted that muscle weighs more than fat so, if you’re building muscle through exercise and burning fat, that’s the reason you gain weight – within reason of course, we can’t use that as an excuse to trend upwards!

Klond, there’s only one more large bottle of home brew. The brewing kit is long gone. We don’t have any plans to start up the hobby again as we don’t drink much alcohol nowadays. I hope those new body parts arrive soon.

Lindsay, so the pool is in the front garden? And the garden is not fenced?

I’m going to press submit and make my second coffee before reading the rest. I’m wearing out my scroll pad.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,551 through 20,600 (of 28,016 total)

You must be logged in to reply.