Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 21 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,501 through 20,550 (of 28,008 total)

• Good morning,
    I’m slow this morning, but I can take it easy. Nice day after fast day.

Welcome Kerry fr! Easter gives you time to savour a bit of lovely chocolate so that you won’t miss it if it becomes more occasional, and to plan for 5:2 to help make it a success!
    After trying a variety of things, I have settled on regular fast day foods, it makes fast days so simple (a big bowl of miso soup with vegetables in the evening, and maybe a small bowl of soup on the afternoon if I am super hungry. I have milk in cuppas even on a fast day, so I count that too).

Welcome Kiwi 72! I hope the kids survive your fast days! Most people find they get easier and easier.
    It will be good to have your health and fitness experience here. 5:2 should be a great way to lose those extra kg and then keep healthy as you go.

Anzac, aaagh, peak hour! Let’s all move to Adelaide! I hope you can get the boring documentation done easily. Lots of (non food) awards along the way maybe? And by ‘non food’ I don’t mean maccas 😉

I forgot to say which of us was Klondi, and which was me in the photo, but everyone knew, or worked it out, I think!

Thin, a lovely weigh in. Happy Birthday! A special day.
    https://s7img.ftdi.com/is/image/ProvideCommerce/PF_18_T215_LAY_SHP_V1?$proflowers-tile-wide-mv-new$
    So glad you are getting rain. We are expecting 30 tomorrow! And rain on Sunday 🙂

Quacka, woot for those 10 days! Hooray for your flight coming up. What a lovely way to beat a phobia.
    The knowledge that I am more likely to die as I head out in my car, than going on a flight, is not exactly a comfort, but makes me less worried about flying.

Hi Turn, you will be great. One day, when you still think you are struggling, you will zip past someone huffing and blowing and realise you are a streamlined running machine! Have you done yoga before? I love it. I can’t run any more, but I can do gentle yoga stretches.
    And you are under 75kg! Congratulations! Enjoy!
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vAAAAOSw27FbO51F/s-l300.jpg

Neil, what fun! 10 inches off your waist. Strut those new outfits!
    No Cadbury creme eggs for me!

LJoyce, what a lovely piece about the kakapo parrots. I hope your infusion went well. Will you manage to keep having them at home?

Rosy, you are fasting even today? Hope it is a good one for the final one.
    Talk of planning! At the end of 4 years you will be so set for caravanning. Hooray for life long learning!

Betsy, a lovely weigh in for you too. Hmm, planning and discipline is the answer for successful working from home, isn’t that always the way. Sigh. I bet you will do it brilliantly though.
    I’m glad it is step by step with 5:2 weight loss, so you can make the best decisions about your medications and CPAP machine.

Klondi, a lovely description of our outing and kids. Haha calling (my darling) Inspector Thursday the offsider, even though you are correct. His family make such a wonderful counterbalance to Morse.

Wow, 30 minutes running! I don’t think I have ever been fit enough to do that, Another medal! https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vAAAAOSw27FbO51F/s-l300.jpg how did you feel at the end?

I really liked the Ask The Doctor series too, and Dr Sandro Demaio is the one I want to chat to about my healthy food project. I might watch them again if they are conveniently on iview.

Cheers all

Hi All!

It was great to view the photo of Cinque and Klondi!

Happy Birthday Thin!

Hello to Newbies who probably do not know me. I’ve been part of this group for nearly 3 years, though work full time and rarely have time to visit. I currently maintain by practicing 6:1.

Sorry for this long post too! I’m excited. So much to share on this rare extra day off from work where I can write free flow without having to check the clock and get onto other things or head out the door for a work shift!

It’s an especially ‘good’ Good Friday because it is my ‘Friday Fast Day’! Mr. M. did react in somewhat of a shocked manner this morning when he realized that I would be sticking to it. He quipped in somewhat of a crestfallen voice, ‘But since it is “Good Friday” I thought that meant that you wouldn’t be fasting?’ I answered, ‘That’s what IS so good about this Friday, because I am fasting!’ He continued to look disappointed and I guessed could be because we wouldn’t be sharing more of those gluten free hot cross buns that we started hoeing into last night! At that point in our conversation, I let him know that the rest of the hot cross bun batches were all for him. I could see he didn’t fancy eating them all on his own. I understand, it just isn’t as fun indulging by oneself! Yes, this year I got lured into buying packages of those buns displayed at Coles. I’d held out every other year and since Coles actually went so far as to produce a ‘chocolate chip gluten free’ variety, I just couldn’t resist and then of course since I’d never sampled the fruit variety, I had to buy a pack of those too!

I rarely eat bread and so initially toasted a bun from the pack of of the chocolate variety. I smothered it in butter and cut it in half for Mr. M and I to share last night while watching tele. Of course the addition of all the butter made it delicious and Mr. M and I agreed how good it would be to toast a second one. So I opened the fruit variety to try. Well, I couldn’t stop there and though Mr. M was satisfied with just the two halves, I wasn’t and wanted a whole bun to myself (I’d given him the larger of the two halves each time I’d served). So I made another chocolate chip variety to eat all on my own with as much butter that it could soak up! Even the plate underneath the bun revealed buttery residue! Of course this morning at the start of ‘Fasting Friday’ I was extra hungry and I did comment to Mr. M that previous experience reminded me that the ferocious gnawing hunger wavers were a result of eating those carb laden buns from the night before!

It’s now noon and to solve that I’ve dissolved a couple of 100% raw organic cacao paste buttons slowly in my mouth, which have soothed the hunger dragons for the time being. The buttons are pure 100% cacao nibs ground up into a paste are are very bitter, which somehow cuts through the fire those dragons breathe! Yes, they are fat laden and a mere 3 buttons clocked in 51 calories, 2 carb grams, zero sugar. I don’t usually eat on a FD before 3 pm but those hot cross buns got the better of me!

Cheers and happiness and smooth sailing to any others joining me in Easter Bunny fasts!

Happy Birthday, thin!
    https://cdn.atwilltech.com/flowerdatabase/y/youre-one-in-a-million-fresh-flowers-VA00807.425.jpg Hope it’s a wonderful day.

Cinque and Klondi, thank you for posting the picture. You are both so beautiful. It’s great seeing the two of you. I’m glad the day with the grandies went well and that everyone had a good time.

Welcome to the newbies. I hope you both find that this way of eating fits in with your lifestyle and that it’s as easy for you as it was for me to lose weight. I did the basic 5:2 and have maintained my weight loss for about a year and a half. 5:2 has been a very good way to maintain a weight loss. I became so accustomed to the 2 FD’s per week that I just stuck with it, eating a little more on nonfast days. It’s the only way many of us here can easily maintain.

Happy birthday Thin 🎂 I’m sending you an emoji cake as I know you didn’t want a real one.

Happy Easter everyone, hope you are all enjoying your 4 day break.

I made a big batch of hot cross buns for family and friends today for Good Friday. People were amazed that I still make them for others even though I don’t eat them myself, I don’t know about that. I find bread making quite therapeutic, punching out my frustrations on the hapless lump of dough that rewards my violence by turning into soft spicy fruity buns of yummyness. The kids love them, cutting them in half, slapping on generous amounts of butter and tucking in. I allowed myself a quarter of a bun with a slice of butter on it just for the taste….nothing like the taste of home-made 😀

Happy Easter everyone!

Saturday, NZ – 10/45am

Still lovely blue skies here today, yesterday was a cracker day, sunny, still and soooo warm, we walked for ages? Got home and tucked in to MM’s chicken and lentil curry, except I used beef, we eat this dish alot although I have tweaked it a little and it’s one of our favoutrites!! Out for dinner tonight (should be interesting!) then a pork roast tomorrow.

A big dark chocolate Guiness “egg” seems to have found it’s way into the house and has locked itself away into the cupboard, no idea how that happenend, it doesnt seem to want to go anywhere, obviously seems to think it’s in the right house!!!

Welcome Kerry and Kiwi, good to have another one (Kiwi that is!) on board! Best of luck with this WOL, it really is quite fabulous, I have done 5:2 previousy but am now on the 800 and find it great, just never hungry!! 10% of body weight down so far and still losing.

Thank you so much for the medal Cinque, I ended up not going yesterday, regretfully, but am going again today, looks like it will be raining heavily tomorow, all day!! Might find out a new book to read instead!!

Best get the trainers on, enjoy your day everyone,

Turn

Thanks for all the lovely birthday wishes and flowers. I haven’t had it yet. Rosy, you are too funny about the star signs – and spot on about religion. We will be celebrating at an Indian restaurant.

Rosy, I agree that international travel has lost its gloss now that individual countries are unable to retain their unique features, people and customs and we’re all becoming the same. It makes me sad as my life has been greatly enriched by extensive travels. The long haul flights are tedious and the security measures absurd. I bet you will love your caravan trips and ‘going round’. Something fabulous to look forward to when you retire. That forecast big rain was a bit of a disappointment – wasn’t it cold yesterday? I wore my Goretex jacket to go for a walk.

Turn, that’s a great achievement on the jogging. Well done. And saying goodbye to all things business-related and fully embracing the new life of retirement must be fun. For how many years did you have that hospitality business?

A warning to the long posters – I notice that I keep getting logged out recently. Be careful to copy your missive before pressing submit just in case.

Minka, hello again. Poor Mr M! He is still coming to terms with the fact that Ms M. means business – a fast day is a fast day is a fast day! Congratulations for doing so well with 6:1 and showing us that we can still have Hot X buns if we so wish.

CalifD, I’m with you. 5:2 all the way. I had a strange dream recently where I was getting fat and didn’t know what to do about it. Before I woke up, I remembered about 5:2. It was such a relief. What’s that all about?

I find Easter such an odd holiday. Everything closes for Good Friday and it’s dead quiet around here (yes, even the neighbours didn’t come home last night, yay, bonus, happy dance!). Then on the Saturday, it’s business as usual, cafes buzzing, supermarkets open, cars everywhere. Then all quiet again for two more days. Hope everyone’s enjoying theirs, whatever it means to you.

Good morning, yet another stunning day in Sydney. Sunny and 25

Happy Birthday Thin my dear friend! Was it yesterday or today? Whichever, I Hope you have/had a lovely day and a scrummy meal at the Indian restaurant

We are having a quiet Easter and getting stuff done around the house. We took Maxx for a big walk on the beach this morning and it was glorious. Maxx and hubby went for a swim and I was cursing myself for not wearing my cozzie because the water was warm and looked so tempting in the sunshine. I can’t believe we are 5 weeks from winter and still swimming in the ocean! I’m not complaining though

I hope everyone is having a fantastic Easter and I will try to pop back later for a nice chatty catch up

Turn, that big dark chocolate Guiness “egg” that locked itself inside your cupboard was looking for a nice warm place to hatch. Soon, it will hatch into a big chocolate bunny or chick, which if not gifted or eaten quickly, will grow up and lay more of these big chocolate eggs. đŸ°đŸŁđŸ„ You can see how these things perpetuate themselves. 😁 And you know how bunnies multiply! 😁

I hope everyone has a nice Easter, whether it’s a religious holiday or just a day to celebrate friends and family and hot cross buns. Neil, I can resist a lot of things, but anything bread related is really tough because of the smell of it baking. I admire your restraint with eating just a small amount. I’m sure they were delicious. But buying new clothes in a smaller size certainly makes the sacrifice worth it. LJ, Cinque and Intesha do a lot of baking too and seem able to dole out the finished product in reasonable amounts. (Or give it away.) I think I relate more to Minka. Once I tuck into one, especially if there was chocolate and butter involved, there would be no stopping me. But there is always a FD to atone for our sins. 😁

I hope everyone has a nice Easter with nice warm temps. We finally got up to 25 or 26 today. It was the first day that I could wear a short sleeved t shirt outdoors. I even bought a small bougainvillea plant and several small basil plants to plant tomorrow. Bougainvilleas never make it through the winter here because it gets too cold. But ones about a meter tall are great annual plants and aren’t too expensive for a seasonal plant. Most of you can probably grow them all year down there.

A quick pop in and hello. I FINALLY had a good nights sleep so I have made the most of how good I feel, and I am getting lots done.
    I am having a great early fast day (Easter meal with family tomorrow), SO much easier after a good sleep.
    I LOVE that the Easter holidays have a shops-open-Saturday in the middle of them. I would have been stuck without it, and did a great shop this morning.
    And, since I have RUN OUT OF MISO, EEP! I have made a big pot of mung bean soup. And will have that instead.

Minka, it is always such a treat when you get a chance to post. So glad you got to enjoy your gluten free hot cross buns. And glad to know Mr M survived having to make his Easter eating decisions by himself.

Neil, nice baking! And you did get to enjoy them as maker and eater. Hooray for the mouthful (or two) of the quarter bun.

Turn, I am envious of the rain. But they are still saying we will get some tomorrow. Ooh that curry sounds good. Best wishes to that Easter egg, it may not be long for the world. Maybe that is better than Cali’s scenario.

Ooh Thin, I’ll try again for your birthday tomorrow. I’ll eventually get it right.

Happy Easter, Anzac! And everyone else.

Bougainvillea does grow here Cali, but it is much happier up North, and in the sort of gardens where there is plenty of space for them because they grow huge and take over everything, and because of their toxic thorns!

I am on to the last stage of my Pastiera Napoletana (the ricotta and eggs bit) and will take it to my daughter’s place for lunch tomorrow. I may well be the only one who loves it, but at least my daughter will try it, and I can freeze it in portions in the hope I can eat a slice occasionally. I’ll find out!

Cheers all

Minka, l loved your post. And yes, lovely to see the photo Klondi and Cinque. You both look beautiful, and it’s so good to see the faces that go with the pictures.
    Cinque great to have a good night’s sleep. Doesn’t it make things go so much better ..everything. And you in particular need it, so may it be the first of many.
    Thin is it today? I hope you have a great birthday, and enjoy your Indian feast. Hurrah for good Friday and peace. Hope your neighbours stay away.
    I can’t agree with you and Rosy about overseas travel. I’m still addicted and find local culture strong in many of the places we visit. Saigon is very cosmopolitan, but Hanoi is a different city altogether, for example. Rural China, and even the big cities outside the capital are all quite traditional – we see it even in Bejing, although it has become more Western since we first lived there more than 15 years ago. That said Rosy, caravaning sounds so so appealing.
    Funny few days here. Babysitting on Wednesday night ended up very badly when 100 metres from my son’s home my oil light went on and the car started making a very disturbing noise. Pulled into the service station at the end of the street and put oil in, but the noise continued intermittently until we got home (it’s only a few kilometres). Impossible to get much attention from the large caryard/garage nearby on Easter Thursday, but they still have the car and apparently from a cursory inspection it’s condition is terminal. I knew we needed a new car but it’s odd to have it perfectly functional in the morning and dead as a dodo by evening. Now, what to do next.
    Anzac how nice to have a long weekend after your first week in the new job. And another on Thursday.
    Turn that curry sounds delicious – have you posted the recipe?
    Cali can you move your potted bougainvilleas indoors when it gets too cold for them? Cinque’s right – they are a tropical plant. We have two in our back garden, shooting to the top of very tall trees. Too thorny to have anywhere else but up in the sky. But they do provide beautiful colour popping out of the green tree tops.
    Quacka Birkenstocks will be absolutely fine in North Queensland. Fine and comfortable. Congratulations on making the trip – hope it’s the first of many many more.
    Cinque also agree on the etiquette tips you posted a while back – and tipping. I think it’s the uncertainly of knowing what to do in countries that do tip, that makes it challenging for us. I would rather the Singaporean system ….the bill, plus, plus, plus for government taxes and service. Same net result, less uncertainty. When we were in the UK recently DD bought us afternoon tea at Kensington Palace, for Christmas. It was lovely, but the service was very average – quite patronising, actually. When we got the bill, they’d added 20% as a ‘discretionary’ service charge. Because it was already expensive, and the service perfunctory, I paid for the meal without the ‘discretionary’ service charge. The glare I got had to be seen to be believed. My OH went away muttering (quite incorrectly of course), ‘I wish the bloody Queen would pay her staff properly’. (with apologies to Royalists).

Betsy I know your question was to Anzac so I hope you don’t mind my chiming in. I found when I was doing my PhD I had to set myself rules . I got up very early and went straight to the office and gave myself half an hour on the computer doing bills, reading, playing games etc. I was very strict. Every two hours I gave myself a break to get a coffee, play more computer games, stretch my legs etc. I only worked til lunch-time, but then got in another couple of hours elsewhere in the day, depending on what my OH was doing. When I hit a writing block I packed myself up and went back to Saigon for 10 days or so. I’d work all day, then head out with mates from my old uni for dinner, drinks etc. I always came home with a significant chunk of work done. I think I did this 3 times. I think the main thing is just to keep plugging away. I took 2 long breaks away from my PhD when my OH had cancer, but got there in the end. Good thing it was a longitudinal study! Best wishes for your work – it sounds very interesting, and great it combines your two loves. That will be very motivating.
    And finally to end my marathon post, Klondi yes I do speak some Mandarin. It’s pretty basic…but it’s a language I love, and I keep plugging away.
    Enjoy the rest of your Easter all. Safe holidays.

Normal FD for me, we don’t celebrate Easter but we’re definitely celebrating the peace and quiet that comes with everyone clearing off for the long weekend. And those that do stick around seem to panic when the shops close for one day; you’d think there was a famine happening if you saw our local Coles on the Thursday or Saturday.

Anzac, thanks so much. I’m trying to refrain from posting the actual date for cyber security reasons. Paranoia maybe.

Glad everyone’s having a wonderful weekend. We’re off for a bush walk in the hills today. Not quite sure how my 2pm cauliflower soup fits into that scenario but I’ll work something out.

Happy Birthday Thin!
    https://s7img.ftdi.com/is/image/ProvideCommerce/PF_18_A613_LAY_SHP_V1?$proflowers-tile-wide-mv-new$

Lindsay. Yes, sleep. Such a blessing. Last night wasn’t too bad. We are trying little Miss 4 here again tonight. She thinks she can go back to sleep by herself.

See you all when I resurface 😉

Hi all

Rosy. There certainly plenty of options when fitting out a van but I wouldn’t commit to too much until you have had a few try out trips to see which you really need. We use a simple tow ball lock for security, we also have a complete second set of keys with a tag with our phone number as we heard of someone who lost theirs and it was a nightmare getting more. We also have had lots of OS trips and are happy to stay at home now.

Cinque. Funny that neither of us thought to say who was who in the photo, I think the clue is your lovely henna hair. Thanks for the medal, I enjoy seeing your awards, you are clever finding the right ones. Congrats on having good sleep, the world looks a nicer place when you are rested. I admire your cooking efforts, all that work and it will be gone in minutes. I hope you can freeze it so that you can prolong the pleasure. Enjoy your family day, the girls will no doubt be looking forward to having you around.

Minka. How nice that you have a rare day off and you thought of us. Buttery hot cross buns are sooo good. Well done on sticking to FD but you have had lots of practice. Did Mr M finish the buns or did he leave any for when you weren’t fasting?

Neil. You are very strong only eating a quarter of a bun. I also made my own and gave the family some but I kept 6 for OH and myself. I cheat and let the machine do the punching and thoroughly enjoyed my treat. I did use a lot less butter and was surprised how good they still tasted. Great news with your clothes, you and everyone else will really see the benefits of your new shape. I bet you enjoy looking in the mirror.

Turn. How is that sneaky ‘egg’ going, have you sampled it to make sure it’s alright. Thin has a good point, you need to tackle it before it hatches and becomes a bigger problem. How nice that you are enjoying your walks. It must be nice to now have time to indulge in walks and books.

Cali. Glad you are getting warmer weather, what a shame you can’t keep a bougainvillea alive. Do they do any better in pots? They are quite glorious in full bloom and if they are cheap and small you can plant a few, then they will really brighten your garden

Brag alert. I completed a 5k Parkrun on Saturday with my DD and OH. Particularly proud of OH who doesn’t like running and hasn’t trained. He finished in 44 minutes and was the oldest person on the course. I finished in 53 minutes and only walked on the slopes. Having DD with me was lovely and I’m not sure who was more pleased. Mr G and Miss L were there to cheer us home. A real confidence booster. Chocolate and hot cross buns have no power over me.

Good morning friends 🙂 this faux summer continues here in Sydney. Another stunning sunny day and 26 degrees.

Cali, we are having the same weather right now! Isn’t it incredible? I fear winter is going to hit us soon with a thump but for now I am enjoying every minute of our Easter break with this weather. We had a swim in the pool yesterday as our solar heating got it up to 27 degrees and it was lovely. Maxx did his usual lifeguard duties on the side. He also enjoys going and biting off a bit of foliage from the garden and trotting over and dropping it in the water. Little scamp….but cute too

So glad you had a good sleep finally Cinque 🙂 it makes all the difference doesn’t it? I had a nice sleep in this morning courtesy of hubby taking fur-child upstairs early. It was lovely.

We’re off for a walk so more later….happy Easter everyone

Not quite as warm over here. It’s only 12 degrees here in Dunedin. But the sun is out and it’s nice and calm so it’s not too bad outside. I just finished a round of frisbee golf and just missed out on an ace by about a foot. It’s a pity because an ace would have won me $130.

Happy easter everyone.

Busy day here. I’ve been in the Adelaide Hills all day. I spent the morning with family and the afternoon with my best friend.

I have a photo of the chocolate I was given at the family this morning: https://imgur.com/a/ybRBSRk and yes it is sitting on my kitchen scales. That’s 807g of chocolate – every gram of it is Haighs – which makes the idea of throwing any away so abhorrent. At the moment I have 792g of it in a bag inside the wardrobe in the spare bedroom! What happened the other 15 grams you may ask – I’ll give you one guess – that was 2 mini eggs. And before you think I was restrained stopping at 15 grams I have some other photos of just some of the food on the table at the family brunch this morning: https://imgur.com/a/SQjaZkj That’s just the sweet offerings there was hot savoury food that hadn’t come out oven when I took those shots. After all that food I went to Belair National park and my best friend and I went for a 90min walk around the lake. I skipped lunch but an hour ago I was hungry and I ate 2 hot cross buns.
    I can summarise today – good company and lots of tasty offerings of which I generously partook, but few healthy choices in sight – although there was a fruit platter. After a week of 800cal days I don’t feel too badly about it, but I’m hoping I forget where the rest of the chocolate is for a while.

I hope you have all had a lovely day spent with people you like and doing enjoyable things.

Another cold but sunny day in Perth. Thank you Cinque. What a lot of flowers I’ve received!

Klond, great news on the run. Well done. Loved reading your statement, “Chocolate and hot cross buns have no power over me.” I like chocolate but everyone knows better than to give me any as a present. I’ve made a statement about Hot X buns and don’t see any appeal as a special Easter thing when they’ve been in my face for four months at the entrance to Coles.

200 Christians massacred in Sri Lanka as they prayed over Easter. Not sensing quite the same sentiment expressed from worldwide leaders or media.

Anzac, you paint a fun picture of Maxx. Enjoy your special time with the boys!

It was a great bush walk in peaceful beautiful surroundings yesterday. Holding at 58.2kg.

Hi all

Anzac. You are having a lovely Autumn as we are in Melbourne. Does Maxx not like the pool or have you managed to train him not to swim in it. He is just giving you life rafts in case you you need them

Neil. What is frisbee golf and bad luck re the ace. How is your Easter going.

Cinque. I forgot to say, if you are meeting Dr. Sandro, can I come too, he is rather charming.

LJ. Wow, that food, I hope there was a lot of people to share it. Is that a bowl made of chocolate? It all looks yummy, obviously you aren’t the only cook in the family. Good that you are supporting a local business, I’m sure you can make that chocolate last and prolong the pleasure.

Thin. The news from Sri Lanka is very sad. so many lives ruined and for what? I think I have found my new mantra, ‘ food has no power over me’. I wrote it as a bit of a joke but on reflection, this WOL has given me control back over what I eat. Now I chose what food goes into my mouth and enjoy it, rather than mindlessly getting as much as I can as if there was never going to be any more. I can also ignore supermarkets, social eating and other traps. Thanks again and again Dr M.

Frisbee golf is like regular golf but you have to throw frisbees into a chain basket rather than hitting a ball into a hole. Here’s a video of a guy succeeding at what I so narrowly missed out on doing. https://youtu.be/HcDK63_azI8

Good afternoon, another groundhog day of sunny and 26 degrees here in Sydney

I am so sad to read and hear about Sri Lanka. We spent two weeks there in 2014 and loved it. I call it India without the poverty. More horror in our beautiful world 🙁

Klondi, Maxx loves the ocean or the river but just isn’t interested in the pool. We used to put him in when he was a puppy to make sure he knew how to swim and he would just swim to the steps and hop out. He stares down into the water and sometimes hubby will encourage him in but he backs off. I’m happy as I have hair in my food, my clothes, my hair, the furniture, the floor (you get the idea) so I am very happy to have a hair-free pool!

LJ, that food! But your 90 minute walk will help keep off any excess.

Betsy, glad you have moved off your plateau. Your doctorate sounds very interesting and I admire your discipline. I feel a bit sad when I think about PHD’s as my nephew did his in environmental chemistry through the mining boom, but just as he finished the boom went bust and he couldn’t get a job. Now he is the most educated tour-guide in Europe. However the good news is he has finally met a lovely girl (he is 33) and they want to get married and have babies so they are coming home to Australia next year to do just that. We are all hoping he will do some sort of refresher and try again to get a job using his degrees.

I’m envious of your rain Thin. Dry as toast here but I’m not complaining whilst it is Easter. We have been swimming! In April! Diabolical.

How is that lurking egg going Turnabout? I hope it hasn’t hatched!

Cali, I’m with you re fresh baking bread. I can resist many things but not that.

So, Maxx was a naughty nightmare yesterday so I think I have once again convinced hubby to take him to training. I have a promise that we will go next Sunday. I threatened to take him myself and I think the thought of me trying to find the place, control 40+ kilo dog without injuring myself and the ensuing doctors bills if I did convinced him. We shall see. He has started jumping up at people again and that has to stop immediately. He will jump on the wrong person and hurt them and I can’t type what we could be forced to do. It’s not his fault, it is ours for our inconsistent training

Ok, time to get dinner going. Happy Easter Monday everyone

Hi everyone, hope you have all had a fab extra-long weekend.

Mine was lovely but the last couple of days I seem to have been lacking a brake pedal when it came to eating! FD tomorrow – and babysitting all day, which will keep me busy.

Minka, well done on sticking to your Friday FD. I similar indulgent episodes with hot cross buns – which I hadn’t eaten at all this year until Easter Saturday. Thankfully I don’t have too many stashed in the freezer!

Neil, so close on the frisbee golf game. How’s the 4:3 plan going? Heading straight from Fast800 into easter sounds like trial by fire to me! I agree about yeasted baking. This year was the first in a while where I bought easter buns rather than baking my own.

Anzac, I have had the chance to play a little with my neighour’s black labrador puppy twice in the last few days. She is so cute and I do keep thinking of your Maxx. She’s used to only knowing me by my voice through the fence as I talk to her several times a day, but face-to-face she’s really affectionate and comes straight to me as soon as I start speaking.
    They are still taking her to puppy training and she is following more commands now, so I’m sure there is lots of hope for Maxx to mend his ways with the right help.
    I know it’s very late in the year to be so warm, but you very blessed to be able to swim. (If Maxx is biting bits off the plants, it’s worth checking that none are poisonous.) It finally turned cold here on Saturday so I suspect that will head east very soon.
    As to the 90 minute walk dealing with all I’ve eaten in the last couple days – I’m not sure a 900min walk would be enough!

Klondi, this is a couple of different views of the chocolate egg mouse cheesecake – https://imgur.com/a/Vh9qAJ0 The “shell” is essentially made from chocolate crackle mixture (which contained coconut oil to make it set solid). The next layer was a white chocolate cheesecake and then the lumpy dollops on top were mousse and it was then decorated with melted chocolate and easter eggs. This was my cousin’s humble offering to the easter brunch. I wish I could say it wasn’t good, but actually it really was.
    Well done on the run, that’s great progress.

Cinque, hope the overnight with your 4yo grad daughter was ok and not too exhausing.

Lindsay, commiserations on the car, what a thing to happen just before easter. I hope when they check properly tomorrow you get some other options.
    I’m actually shocked that service was added as a charge to a bill in the UK. England is not one of the countries where I thought tipping was expected.

Cali, I’m very pleased to hear Spring has finally found you. I hope you get plenty of lovely spring days before the heat of summer. Bougainvilleas grow quite well in my state although is definitely not tropical. In the house I grew up in, we had a massive one that grew right over the top of the huge outdoor bird aviary. Lindsay is definitely right about the thorns though – they are vicious!

I’ve been cooking most of the day and have lots of things made for this week, including lots of veg, so little cooking will be required to construct healthy meals for the next few days. That’s a relief as The next couple of days will be really busy.

Hello to anyone I haven’t mentioned yet.

For some reason I was really hungry yesterday and I couldn’t stay out of the cupboards/fridge. But at least with this WOL my body is craving things are better for me. Before fast 800 I would have been raiding the cupboards for toast, scones, chips, lollies and chocolate, these days I’m grabbing nuts, blue cheese and dates. I did allow myself one of the hot cross buns that I made, but I cut it up into quarters and ate it through the day rather than one big starchy hit.

Good morning everyone

It has been a lovely Easter long weekend for me with lots of exercise and too much food! Yesterday we spent the day on the water with fishing in the morning and then a boat trip up the river where we stopped for a swim and some lunch. Like you Anzac, I can’t believe we are still swimming at the end of April and in the river at that! It is usually much colder in the river but it was lovely yesterday even if I had to dodge a few jelly fish.

OH has gone back to work today so I get to spend the day cleaning the house. Yippee! Not. I haven’t done much the last four days except cook and clean up the kitchen so I will get stuck into it today.

We had a little shower of rain early this morning and there was the most beautiful red sunrise after that. The sky was this awesome pink colour and there was red light coming in through the windows painting the walls with red.
    We were out fishing late into the afternoon on one of the days of the long weekend and saw another amazing sky and sunset. The sun was huge and red and it was lovely being out on the boat watching as it came down and to make it even better, we caught heaps of fish. In case anyone is wondering we do release most of them and only sometimes keep one or two to eat. It is actually rare for us to keep fish even though I love eating them. I just don’t like killing them.

Time to get up. I’m off to do my treadmill workout and then start cleaning. Have a happy day all x

Oh, additionally it’s my first post-fast 800 weigh day tomorrow, I wasn’t very organised this week because I took the week off to look after the kids during school holidays, so I didn’t really do fast days and non fast days, I just ate what I felt like I needed. Some days were more, like yesterday and some days were less. I didn’t count calories but I doubt I went over 2,000 on any of the days that I ate more. It’ll be interesting to see how that’s reflected on the scales tomorrow. There will be a bit more stability from tomorrow because I’m back at work now (although Thursday I’m off again for ANZAC day)

Morning all. Back to ‘normal’ today after the lovely long weekend?? I knocked off all my entertaining obligations on two days – a long lunch here with a girlfriend (very simple), then three couples who’d all had us to dinner but we hadn’t reciprocated, yesterday. Although I cooked quite a lot, I didn’t eat much. A lasagne, a baked ham, my friend bought a potato salad, I made coleslaw, and a rocket, avocado and bocconcini salad, followed by a sticky date pudding. The architect is popping over later to look at a small reorganisation of bathroom/utility room, so I have a lot of food left for an easy lunch for him and his partner. Then, back to work, and 5:2 tomorrow.

Quacka, your weekend sounds perfect. How lovely to seen such beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Waiting to hear the bad news from the garage, then decision time about a new car I guess. Sigh. The bus trip to work will take an hour and a half, so I’ll have to leave around 6 tomorrow. Yikes!

LJ I was surprised too to see tipping so prevalent in the UK. In Glasgow we sat next to an American couple and a Scottish woman who were having afternoon tea in the Willow Tearooms. It seemed like they were Church colleagues (rather than friends, I mean). The American man paid the bill – but the Scottish woman then slipped a ten pound tip under her side plate.

How did you go with the 4 year old Cinque? Did she manage to get herself back to sleep?

Thin have the neighbours stayed away? Hope you had peace over Easter. We were expecting the renters up the front to come back late yesterday, but it’s still all quiet. Hopefully they’ve taken the extra 3 days leave to extend the holiday til Sunday. It’s lovely, the stillness….not that this bunch are noisy anyway.

Neil, will be interesting to see how this week affects your weigh-in. Dreadful, when the ‘hungries’ strike, but great to manage them in such a positive way.

OK time to wash the glasses from yesterday’s lunch. OH wanted to do them last night, but with his sight issues and quite a few red wines, I wasn’t sure how many would survive, so I convinced him to leave them.

Enjoy your day

Morning all, it sounds as if everyone had a good weekend.

Lindsay, bad luck about your car – will you be getting a new one? The car that DD and OH sort of share broke down last year when DD was on a vet prac down south about 4 hours’ drive from Perth. It couldn’t have been more inconvenient (or expensive). Pleased to hear that you’ve had a quiet weekend with the tenants away. Ours returned last night with the anticipated noise bubble that follows them everywhere they go, but we feel very fortunate to have had those peaceful four days without them.

LJ, your baking is amazing. I don’t know how you cope with all that constant temptation. That black lab would be fun to play with. I can feel some pet sitting coming on…..

Quacka and Anzac, what lovely summery activities you’ve been enjoying. I know it’s autumn here because our navel oranges are turning orange. The only downside of that tree is that all the fruit becomes available at the same time.

Weirdly, I continue to lose weight. 57.6kg. It’s a new PB and a weight I’m sure I haven’t seen since I was about 13. Must go for a walk and then study my bridge notes so that my partner and I can dazzle the novice group with our creative bidding.

Good morning, lovely ones,
    I had Easter lunch at my daughters house where my Pastiera Napoletana was really only appreciated by my daughter and me. Really I wish I could have made it again (I will next year) especially because my pastry was disappointing.
    Tips for making, blind baking, and then filling, a shortcrust pastry base, please bakers!
    But the middle bit was sublime, even with me not quite cooking the wheat to bursting.

Then little Miss 4 stayed overnight and apart from a dramatic bedtime (everytime she nearly settled, something happened so it was a 2 and a half hour marathon to get her to sleep) she slept through! Woohoo. But I still managed to get so tired that yesterday was a write off, and I seemed to eat all day too.
    Luckily I have woken up today back on track and ready to whip the house into shape and catch up on emails etc I have got behind with.

First things first, coffee and you guys. 🙂

LJoyce, wow! Those pics. Lucky you have good plans in place!

Klondi, that Dr Sandro is pretty amazing. Very good looking and intelligent and he seems a particularly nice person too. If I get to meet with him I’ll pop you in my entourage!

Anzac, YES! Use all your tricks to get hubby to the puppy training class. Maxx is begging for it.
    Love your descriptions of weather and wonderful activities.

Quacka, yours too!

LJoyce, your puppy neighbour sounds lovely.

Neil, it sounds like you had an excellent week, I hope that shows in tomorrow’s weigh-in.

Lindsay, what lovely entertaining! Sympathy for being without a car, and good wishes for the news and the excitement of a new one, if that is what happens.

Thin, hooray for the few quiet days, and sympathy for the return of the noise.
    Congrats on the PB weight. Healthy and happy.

Ok, time to get out of the computer chair. I need to plan my veggie filled meals for today. Eggplant and cauliflower! What would you make?

Best wishes all.

Finally found time to check in. So many interesting things to read. Also saddened about the bombs in churches and hotels in Sri Lanka. My Sri Lankan friends are very upset about it all.

Turnabout’s egg in cupboard concerned me – maybe a giant dinosaur will hatch?? 🙂 Actually, chuckled at CalifDreamer’s post re egg possibilities.

Was thrilled on Saturday to reach a new low weight – and then followed it with a NFD and 2 TDEE, so I’m fasting (FD800) for the next few days to make up. Too many carbs. Yes, the hot cross buns got me. I know they’ve been around the stores for months, but I haven’t been buying them (much), so bought some over Easter. Last time, I ate two and threw the rest away immediately. This time? Some helpful person told me that they freeze well, which I probably didn’t need to know, so they’re in the freezer for NFDs. Yes, I could still have thrown them out….. weak!

Klondikekween, speaking of hot X buns, this year I’ve just been eating them on their own, no butter or jam, which has at least kept the calorie count down a bit. Congrats in completing the 5K park run. Good for you!

LJoyce, 800 gms of Haigh’s chocolate??!! What a temptation that would be to me. So strong of you to only eat so little before putting it away.

thinatlast, congrats on the new low weight. That’s great news.

Cinque, good that little Miss 4 survived the overnighter, and even better that you survived her 🙂

LindsayL, thanks for the suggestions re applying myself to my study. I have a “garage room” set up to do the study, but spread my references over everything so it’s too messy to use – step one is to clear them away so I have an open working area. The other thing is trying to transcribe interviews; it just takes ages, much longer than the interviews themselves. But…. just have to get serious about it and DO IT!

Anzac65, sounds like Maxx really needs that obedience school, but the faux summer and the beach have been lovely for you. Same here in Melbourne. It’s finally cooled off now, but wonderful over the Easter weekend for the kids on school holidays. But… driest start to the year in Melbourne ever.

Keep on keeping on the downward trail everyone!

The end of another FD, much needed after a weekend of eating. I did finally cave in a bought a package of hot X buns and let’s just say that I ate more than a quarter of one and leave it at that. (Neil, I don’t know how you resist.)

Lindsay, I hope your car can be repaired for not too much money. And I hope it gets resolved soon. It’s terrible being without a car when you have a long commute to work.

Thin, sorry to hear that the neighbors are back already. But congrats on your low weight after the long weekend.

LJ, those desserts look amazing, especially your key lime pie. That chocolate and cheesecake creation looks good, but I bet it’s messy to eat. Good on you for doing the 90 minute walk. I’ve been getting in more steps lately, many of them with my ‘house walking’ although the weather has been really nice the past few days so it’s nice to be outdoors too.

Cinque, even though Miss 4 took 90 minutes to finally go to sleep, that sounds better than being woken up by her during the night. Now if she can just get to sleep at a reasonable time…

Anzac, if Maxx jumps on people still, you need to put your foot down with OH about getting him some training. Being such a big dog he could knock someone over, even though he wouldn’t intentionally hurt anyone. Little dogs can get away with a lot more.
    Hope your new job is going well.

Betsy, I hope you start getting some rain in Melbourne. Our winter was really wet this year but we have had far too many droughts in recent years. Northern California lost a lot of trees due to pests and diseases because of the lack of rain. And that’s not counting the ones that burned down.

Neil, I hadn’t heard of frisbee golf until seeing your comments and link. But OH was familiar with the game although he never played it.

Quacka, nice that you could spend time fishing and swimming over the weekend. Enjoy it before it gets cold.

Hi to anyone I’ve missed. I fell asleep early tonite for a few hours, woke up, and now better get back to sleep for what’s left of the night.

Weigh in this morning, I dropped another 600 grams, so I am now officially less than 20 kilos from my goal at 109.6. My total weight loss to date is 21.9 kilograms. I’ve decided to set lots of little milestones to check off now to keep myself motivated and excited about losing weight. The first milestone is 25 kilograms lost, that is just 3.1 kilograms away, then 105 kilograms which is 4.6 kilos away, then 30 kilos lost, then the magic double digits a mere 9.7 kilos away.

Great achievement Neil – more than half way there. Those milestones are a great motivator. Getting lots of positive comments? I am sure you are.
    Calif, Thin, Cinque thanks for the commiserations about the car. After a dire prognosis from the service centre, over lunch yesterday, our architect friend mentioned he had a reliable mechanic, whom he phoned and got a price for repair at just over $4000 – which is a good $1500 less than the other people wanted. So we have gone down that route. And … here’s the bonus. We couldn’t get a hire car for anything less than ridiculous prices (Easter holiday, with Anzac Day on Thursday meant few cars available), so his partner phoned her mother who has lent us her car (she doesn’t drive and her OH can’t, but they are reluctant to get rid of the car). Aren’t people kind?

Betsy I hear your pain about transcribing interviews. I had some funds from my uni that would have paid a transcription service, but in the end I did them myself because it was only in listening over and over that the nuances became clearer. I’m guessing your interviews are with non-native speakers? What uni are you with (if you don’t mind saying)?

So, although I’m not bussing to work, I still need to get cracking. Check in later.

Another grey Melbourne morning here, nice weather for me though.

I’m all topsy turvy as I have run out of miso paste and haven’t had a chance to get down to Smith St to buy more. And I am taking little Miss 2 overnight tonight for the first time. She is very excited. Life is an adventure. But I will fast on Friday I think.

Lindsay, what a relief to be able to get your car fixed, and what good friends to give you transport in the meantime. Best wishes for a good day.

Betsy, thanks, and my sympathy… translations! I have done a few. I hope (if you can’t get the professional service) you can do little blocks followed by some stretching and star jumps! At least doing them makes the issues and themes pop out.

Neil, big congratulations. Those little milestones are an excellent idea. by the time they have all been ticked off, your new habits will be so ingrained they will be able to hold up pretty well against those old habits.

Hi Cali, I hope you got more good hours of sleep.

I did get a bit done yesterday, but not nearly as much as I hoped. Better get going now. Cheers all.

Betsy, I think you were right to freeze the buns. I hate food waste and Australia is a big contributor to it. The freezer became my best friend when I started fasting as it solved the dilemma created by not eating much on FDs and not wanting to waste food. Once food is in the freezer, it’s less accessible than in the pantry and doesn’t seem to call out to me as much. Good job on the new low weight, very motivating for you.

Lindsay, so nice to have kind friends like that.

Neil, the weight is falling off you. I bet you’re getting a lot people asking how it’s done and, hopefully, new converts to our WOL?

CalifD, glad you got some good rain up there this winter. Is Crickets still practicing 5:2 with you?

Anzac, just do it! Maxx will absolutely love learning what pleases you.

Cinque, time to get a bit firm with Miss D’s sleep antics? You said she doesn’t exhibit those behaviours at home, right? I hope you get some good rest. For the cauliflower, I can only think of one thing now – soup! And when I see an eggplant, I think of eggplant rollups. But I think you were wanting ideas of preparing them as side serves so I’m not being much help.

Another week of sunshine in the high twenties. I wish we could get your rain CalifD.

My partner and I came a resounding last in bridge yesterday and with a terrible score. But at least we didn’t embarrass ourselves or keep anyone waiting at the table (as far as we know). We can only go up from here. I WILL learn this confounded game!

Good morning everyone,

Good to see so many posting and some newbies too – this is a great thread where you will get views from some very experienced 5:2ers. Looking forward to seeing you ackieve your goals.

Well done Neil – congratulations!

I keep hoping I can get back onto the forum consistently, so here goes again.

Senior female, late 60’s, been on 5:2 for 4 1/2 years, lost 21kgs and reached goal weight of 62kgs in Nov 2016. Mon Thurs faster, 1 x 360cal meal after 6pm on Fast Days, 2 meals on non-FD starting after 12 noon, have a chronic illness, ME/CFS, so unable to ‘exercise’ as such but quite mobile now after 21 yrs, and some new medication, stress response is eating grainy carbs and sugars – intolerant to most grains so has other consequences beside weight gain.

Check-in 67.3kgs today, but still comfortably in size 12, and 5’6”.

Update:

Some epic face stuffing( EFS) after mistakenly buying hit cross buns on Thursday instead of Saturday, and buying too many.

Mr Merry has started his radiation and doing well. He did the 800 a day to get his weight down a bit beforehand and has settled on a weight about 5 kgs above his goal weight. Keeping this steady through his 7week radiation programme.

The (overseas) wedding preparations for one of our children are moving along well, as is planning the family exodus from Oz for the lovely occasion.

My long term project got to within a few weeks of finishing when my energy started tanking and my stress level too high to continue without compromising my health and compromising the the end result. So it will now be another year along, but my health comes first, and it was always a very long term project. Happy with it’s progress though.

Bye for now🙂
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Have decided to leave the ‘hit cross bun’ spelling error – little doughy bliss bombs disguising themselves as yummy bliss buns.

Good morning, another stunning day here – sunny and 25. We did get a lot of rain overnight on Monday night and it was very much needed.

I typed a big post yesterday then forgot to submit! So here is two days’ worth

Cali, thanks, I completely agree about Maxx jumping up. It was the catalyst as it is dangerous and if he does it to the wrong person and hurts him that could be the end of him. I hope you were able to get some more sleep

Congrats on the new low BetsyLee. I’m keen to get back into my normal routine and back to work in the City next week. As much as I dislike working in the city and the commute, I simply can’t fast at home and I need to get back into it. Time is ticking – it’s already 3/4 of the way through April! I can’t believe it. 32 weeks until our big holiday (not that I’m counting LOL)

Oh my goodness Cinque, 2.5 hours to put Miss 4 to sleep? You must have the patience of a saint. So glad she slept through. Good luck with Miss 2 tonight for the first time and I hope you get some more miso soon as it is a staple for many of you on FD’s. I’m not a fan to be honest which is a shame

Oopsie Thin, last place but I presume you were playing with the big kids again? So long as you enjoy it and it remains fun it doesn’t matter where you come.

Sorry to hear about your car Lindsay. It’s amazing how much we rely on them. When the pylon in the Aldi car park jumped out and smashed into my car I was without it for a couple of weeks. I could have driven hubby’s car but I don’t like driving it in the city as it is large – an SUV – and so I only drive it when we go to Culburra. So hubby had to chauffer me around 🙂

We had a big win against Australia’s major airline (you know who I mean – red tail and all) yesterday. We were offered a bonus if we took up a travel card and transferred some foreign currency onto it. We needed one anyway so we got it, transferred quite a large sum of AUD into EUR and waited for our points. We are using the EUR as we book our hotels and tours and then whatever is left over will be our spending money. Anyway that was in January and apparently our registration for the bonus did not show up in their system so they refused to give us any points at all! Long story short, hubby ended up sending an email to their CEO Allan Joyse (deliberately misspelt) and lo and behold a very senior and posh sounding lady called yesterday to talk it through. We had proof in that we had the initial email and then a ‘Welcome to Qantas Cash’ email two days later. We couldn’t prove that we entered our details on the registration page because unless you take screen prints (and why would you) it closes and that’s it. Anyway she finally agreed to give us the points and a few minutes later BOOM there they were! Mr and Mrs Anzac 1 – Airline 0

LJ, I’m glad you have made friends with the black lab next door as she sounds lovely. We know Maxx can learn because some things he does perfectly – such as he will not touch his food in his bowl until we give the command ‘eat’. If he wanders into a room and we want him to leave we just say ‘out’ and he trots out. He is still counter surfing, but only sometimes (such as this morning I took two clean tea towels out of the cupboard and left them on the kitchen bench. I turned around to see a wagging yellow tail disappearing into the lounge room and no sign of the tea-towels. Sigh. I immediately shouted ‘scatter’ and threw a few bits of kibble on the ground and he dropped the towels before he could put holes in them. I still had to wash them out of course)

Hello Merry, so nice to hear from you. I hope Mr Merry’s treatment continues to go well. I’m sad to hear that you have ME/CFS along with Cinque. My best friend suffered from it in her twenties and thirties and it destroyed her marriage and her career stalled as she couldn’t work at all for 7 years. She is fine now but has never had great health since but she is amazing, just like yourself and Cinque, in that she just gets on with things without complaining. My other best friend has Cystic Fibrosis, so anytime I think I’ve had a bad day I mentally slap myself around the head and carry on!

Even though I’m not fasting this week I am happy with my control. I’ve lost a few hundred grams since Friday so happy with that. This week was going to be the week I officially hit the accelerator but then my boss offered for me to WFH all week and I couldn’t turn that down. Our outdoor bathroom construction is going well and hubby gets 200 percent more done when I’m home to distract Maxx. It’s a bit hard to do tiling or other work when mr curious has his snout under your armpit. If he leaves Maxx upstairs and barricaded from the stairs he will sleep for a while then start crying to come down and see what is going on.

I think I’d better post this before I lose it

Good morning all

Anzac. You and OH will enjoy the training. Dogs love to please and when Maxx understands what pleases you, he will respond enthusiastically. It’s very rewarding. He sounds like an intelligent dog so he will learn quickly. It is the human who sometimes takes a bit longer. I hear you when you re the hair free pool.

LJ nice that you have met your furry neighbour, Maybe you can share him with the neighbour when they are out. Thanks for the pictures. The description alone is enough to add calories.

Neil. You might not have got the ace in frisbee golf but you certainly have with your new weight. You must be emptying your wardrobe and saying goodbye to lots of clothes. Have you kept one ‘before’ outfit for that last triumphant photo?

Quakka. What a lovely way to spend your time, fishing, swimming and seeing sunrise and sunset. You must feel quite restored and energised. The house work would have been a breeze.

Lindsay. That’s great news about the car and yes, people are kind. Sometimes, the universe just aligns.

Thin Bridge sounds very complicated and challenging. You wanted to keep your brain stimulated and it certainly seems that you have chosen well. How do you manage your glut of oranges? Do you have anywhere local you can sell or swap. Local food banks are grateful for extra food and fresh fruit would be well received.

Cinque. Well done with persevering with Miss 4. Thank goodness you had an unbroken nights sleep once she settled and thank goodness you had a recovery day. Best of luck with Miss 2, hopefully she will be so excited she will be exhausted by bedtime. I will keep you to your promise re Dr Sandro.

Betsy. You are doing well, low weight and buns. This is a WOL and no food is forbidden or demonised. I’m sure you will fit those buns into a balanced NFD. I love the image of you leaping up randomly to do star jumps, that should inspire you to keep at those pesky transcriptions. You will knock them over in no time.

Calif. What is it about hot X buns. Most of us have so much trouble resisting them. Do they have some secret addictive ingredient? No rain here yet, I think we are heading for a record dry April, even my established plants are wilting.

I seem to be on a semi plateau at the moment, hovering around 73/74kg which is surprising considering I have increased my activity. It certainly proves that exercise is only a small part of weight loss. I’m hoping it is going to start down again soon. I’m not worried about it and did a complete cull of my clothes and two big bags are ready to go out the door. Unlike some of you, I don’t have a lot of clothes and so that is about a third of my wardrobe. Op shops here I come, I’m going to need more summer clothes for our trip up north. Only 6 weeks to go and we will be away about 3 months.

Here is an updated photo of the outdoor bathroom construction. It’s a bit hard to see through the greenery but at the top left is a sliding glass door that leads into our bedroom. Just to the right of that will be the shower and top right will be the bathtub. It’s completely private unless you are standing on our upstairs balcony (which is where I took the photo from) or peering over the rock ledge in our backyard

Outdoor bathroom wip https://imgur.com/gallery/SO1q2ry

Hey Klondi, our posts crossed. Your holiday sounds awesome and only 6 weeks to go! Sorry to hear you are plateauing but I’m sure you will push through it soon. My goal weight is 72/73 so I wish I was there already but I have another 15 kilos to go.

Thanks for the encouragement re Maxx. We will get there….

Hi and thanks for the comments, yes I’ve had a couple of family members ask me for a referral of what program I’ve been doing to lose weight, and just this morning I had a co-worker come up to me and ask how much weight I’d dropped because I looked so good at the moment.

Yes Klondike, I have kept one pair of big pants and shirt to compare when I get down to my goal weight (I’m saying “when” rather than “if” now) pants were 52 inch waist (currently in 42 inch and looking to get to 34 inch) Shirt was 4XL (currently in 2XL and looking to get to L)

Whoo hoo Anzac – is that OH nestled among the greenery? It looks like a lovely space.

Good luck with Miss 2 Cinque. We have Miss just turned 3 on Friday night…she is having a sleepover with her 5 year old sister. It will be Miss 3’s first time – each time we’ve suggested it, she’s allocated the beds … and her mum and dad both get one too, which sort of defeats the purpose.

I left my lunch on the kitchen bench as I raced out this morning. I compromised with a Vietnamese salad from the myriad food shops around here. Not perfect, but a better choice than many of the others.

Back to it … two more consultations and I’m done.

Ha ha ha – yes Lindsay, I didn’t notice him! He has his shirt off so that shows just how warm it still is. He looks a bit like a wild animal hiding in the wilderness LOL

Hi All!

Klondi, Mr M finished off the last of the hot cross buns on Easter Monday. He wasn’t as fond of the chocolate chip variety as I was, so he consumed that one last and in all honesty, he’s such a traditionalist, I think he thought the flavour combination was a bit weird! In any case, I’m glad they are gone! I’ve now tasted them and know what they are like, so when they appear in the supermarkets again on Boxing Day this year, I think I will pass, not being able to use the excuse that I’d like to see that they taste like!

Cinque, I trust your adventures with your grand daughter were fun! Did you color any real eggs for Easter? I don’t see or hear much of this tradition practiced. When I was a child my mother, siblings and I would boil real eggs, decorate them in various ways and then the eve prior to Easter, she would hide the dozen all over the house and the next morning we children would have to find them. She only hid real eggs, not chocolate ones. I remember once finding one in the piano bench months after Easter. Interesting that it didn’t even smell bad, though would have were we to have cracked it open!

Thin, Bridge perplexes me! I’d love to learn to play one day and I admire anyone who is even able to stay in the game long enough to come in last.

Cali, As you know, I too had a fill of those Easter buns! Sounds like they didn’t cause any extra difficulties in your subsequent FD, which is good! As you’ll read below, those buns unleashed a cage of hunger dragons during my next FD!

Neil, you are a legend for your relationship to hot cross buns! I can’t imagine eating only 1/4 of a bun. I tried eating just 1/2 and no way could I even leave it at that!

Merry, love your bun typo! Good to know I wasn’t the only one lured by this year’s selection! I went for the gluten free variety which were blissful eating… it wss the aftermath ‘hangover’ of sluggishness the unleashing of hunger dragons the next day when I fasted, that got to me. I hope I remember this domino effect later this year when the buns are again for sale on Boxing Day)! Good to read of Mr. Merry’s success with 800 program and that his medical treatment is going along well. The wedding preps sound fun!

Fun and amusing LCHF foray update: I have been maintaining on 6:1 since January, though since endeavoring to raise my fat intake over the past few weeks by adopting a LCHF lifestyle (to fit in with my intermittent fasting WOL), I’ve had to revert back to 5:2 and add in a second FD for past couple of weeks! This is because of intense nausea and discomfort related to raising my fat grams too quickly!

On a couple of occasions I’ve consumed too much fat in one meal and ended up queasy and not wanting to eat anything again for another 36 hours!

According to the LCHF way I follow as guided by nutritionist and author Christine Cronau for my height, it is optimal to consume 176 grams of fat minimum per day. I remember my jaw dropping open when I first read this, though the recommendation is to raise up to this amount slowly. I did hear that, though haven’t really heeded that part of the equation! On Monday eve I consumed 3 soft boiled eggs and green vegetables with 30 grams of butter stirred in and all was well, and I wasn’t at all hungry for another tad of food (like I usually am in the evening). Well, that was until I later reclined into a horizontal position to sleep! After lying down for about 20 minutes I definitely realized that I hadn’t yet digested much of my dinner consumed a couple hours earlier! The queasiness, pressure and general ‘blah’ feeling in my digestive tract was overwhelming. So, I got up and did chores around the house at midnight, which helped, though was I tired the next morning! however I decided at that point that I would fast the following day, which I did. I don’t actually think that is how LCHF is meant to work. I realize that I’m not yet up to consuming the ‘optimal’ amount of fat in one meal! Lol!

Jokes aside, everyone may wonder why I’m even fiddling with adding in another protocol given I’ve been in maintenance with this WOL for nearly 3 years. I might have already written that the reason I’m going down this path is because I have issues with hunger, often ‘insatiable’ on NFDs. I’ve gone down a number of tracks in an attempt to address this. So this is my latest experiment. I’ll keep you posted and I’ll reveal warts and all as I do this!

Rosy, you mentioned how social outings and gatherings can be so difficult following keto. I would like to trial that for a period of a few months down the track at some point. I also see social food gatherings could be quite a pitfall that I would be challenged by as well! In fact in looking forward at when I think I would even be ready to consider this, I’m looking for a clear space in the calendar that is free of holidays, birthday parties, etc!

Hello all and I have followed your posts but been a bit quiet -after a good 1st week I have taken a bit of a mini break on week two – ended up with a stomach bug over Easter and have been studying for an exam so didn’t want to starve myself. Exam done and dusted (7 to go over the next year or two) and we are now away for a few days and will be pretty tough to fast as have to battle all my inlaws as well but should be back to it next week … luckily for me I am having surgery on my shoulder on Monday so it’s a great day to fast as nil by mouth all day …. sitting round the house feeling sorry for myself may be a bit of a challenge but at least I will be reliant on others preparing food for me. Glad to hear everyone was so well controlled over Easter – with 3 young kids we have a house full of chocolate! But at least once it’s gone it’s gone .. have a great Anzac Day – we do dawn parade every year as my husband is ex military and from a military family … it’s always so cold and makes you feel like winter is really here!

Hi all, just checking in. Didn’t manage a FD800 yesterday, but on track so far today, so here’s hoping. Aiming for B2B2B with FD800 to get me back on the right path. Overindulged at Easter and this morning was 0.4 kg up on my Saturday reading. But, I figure 3 consecutive FD800s will get me on the downward trail again. I hope to be 0.5 kg below my Saturday weight by next Saturday.

thinatlast, commiserations on the bridge result, but …. now there’s only one way to go, and that’s up.

Anzac65, my friends got a dog from the dog shelter when their younger boy was only about 4, and they found she had a really bad habit of jumping up on everyone, possibly why she’d been abandoned. Anyway, the vet told them, every time she tries to do it, just lift up your knee in front of you to hold her off. Everyone in the family did just that, and she soon learned not to jump. May be something you can try with Maxx???

Thank you all for the various comments re the transcribing of interviews. I’m at a relatively small Bible College, so no money for transcribing, but also I don’t think I’d trust anyone else to do it. The second-language English accents would be difficult, but easier for me because of my background and also because I’m doing the actual interviews. The other problem is that I have to transcribe what they say, grammar errors and poorly expressed, use of wrong words, or whatever, and using a oral system to transcribe, such as is available in Windows, is also problematic, as it may well try to self-correct words. The only option is the long way of me doing it myself, and so far, I’ve been putting it off. Possibly a good thing, as another “problem” is that I’ve now thought of a couple of extra questions that will be really valuable, so I’ll have to go back to the 5 participants I’ve interviewed already, just to add those questions. Oh well, it’s a process. I’m still hoping to complete the research phase by the end of August, then analyse the data and start writing. Most of it should be in draft form by the end of March next year.

Neilithicman, great to have continued losing weight, even over Easter and the non-weighing holiday. You seem to have a good plan for your continued progress.

I haven’t thought about keeping one lot of “fat” clothes, just to see the changes, but I can see how chuffed you could be to see yourself only “half” the size of previously. My losses do not compare with yours, but I’ve lost 3 inches off my hips, and about 2.5 inches off the rest. Even my thighs and calves are noticeably smaller, which is really pleasing.

Klondikequeen, great that you could cull some clothes. I had clothes of various sizes, which is why my wardrobe has been bulging with clothes, and I’ve been so glad to cull some out.

Can’t remember the other posts, sorry, but have to go cook some dinner.

Hello everyone. I’m back after a few busy days.

Betsy, I hope you have better success today with your Fast800day. I wish I could say I didn’t join you in indulging over easter – but I’d be lying. Despite hiding all the chocolate I received I have still sought it out and eaten some every NFD – not a lot, but it does bother me that I feel I need it every day.

Quacka, glad the weather is still conducive to fishing. I always get the impression it’s something you enjoy immensely – is being on the water a big part of the pleasure?

Cali, I hope when you say the weather’s been really nice, it means you are real spring weather now. Enjoy, our weather still can’t figure out what autumn is meant to look like!

Merry, really pleased to here your OH is coping with chemo so far. I hope that continues. Good to also hear that the wedding prep is also going well – not easy for an o/s wedding.
    Sorry to hear about the EFS – hot cross buns will do that to you! I think the typo was appropriate as it’s the aroma of them toasting that hits you in the face and makes you want more!

Kiwi72, fasting for surgery sounds like guaranteed success in a FD to me. I hope the surgery goes well. You may find that your appetite decreases after a general anaesthetic too – they usually make me queasy for a few days.

Minka, I’m with Mr M when it comes to easter buns – they need to contain fruit and spice not chocolate. Glad you had a gluten free option available though.
    I have never tried LCHF but every time my fat intake increases by any significant amount I experience the same symptoms you described. The fat level your body will tolerate is dependent on the rate at which your liver is able to produce bile – as that is crucial to digesting the fat in our diets. You may find that your hunger issues can be addressed with a dietary fat level that is higher than you originally had, but not as high as the LCHF diet proposes.

Anzac, I did wonder about how private an outdoor bathroom would be when you first mentioned it – too many drones around these days. But I had trouble seeing your hubby at all, so I think you’ll be ok.

Neil, you know your weight loss is showing when people start asking how you are doing it. That’s a huge decrease in waist measurement – very good for your heart health to lose that.

Klondi, Plateaus usually defy logic and science! Your weight will shift eventually but it’s frustrating waiting for the scales to catch up with your effort.

Thin, I think we are going to have to wait a bit longer for rain – winter maybe? I’m getting tired of having to water pot plants every few days.

Lindsay, what good news about the car repairs and the loan. Sometimes the kindness of others can be such a pleasant surprise.

Cinque, as you haven’t posted since the sleepover, can we assume there was not a lot of involved? I hope you feel rested soon.

I picked the last of the eggplants today – the 8 of them have become a large tray of moussaka that is now in the oven. There are plenty more flowers on the plants, but I don’t think the warm weather will last long enough for them to become large enough to pick.

My back took a turn for the worst on Monday and is only just now improving again after physio yesterday. On Tuesday I looked after my nephew’s kids all day. My efforts to have them outside being active rather than glued to the play station hit a snag. I played hide and seek with them for a while, which we all enjoyed – although they found me easily as there are few things in their yard that are large enough for me to hide behind. By then my back needed a rest so I suggested the trampoline (sorry Thin). They were in there for all of about 10 second before they both started squealing and trying to get out. There was a bee sitting on the base of the trampoline. They looked at me expectantly – apparently grown ups are expected to deal with these things. So I looked around for something that would allow me to reach the bee and I spied a rag mop leaning against the shed. So in went the stringy end as I tried hitting the base of the tranpoline to encourage the bee to fly up – it refused to fly and just bounced around. Then I noticed that a spider had crawled out from among the mop strings and onto the floor of the trampoline! Now I had a spider and a bee to remove – where’s the old lady who swallowed the fly when you need her? It took a while, but I managed to eventually get both of them out without getting either stung or bitten. Unfortunately both kids flatly refused to get back in the trampoline as they were worried something else was lurking in there. It was back to the play station after that!

I was planning to fast Saturday but now have plans to join friends for a walking tour of Adelaide for history week. As I’m also having lunch with a friend tomorrow that left today as my second FD for the week. So far I’ve just had a tiny banana, but am planning a large plate of beans, kale, spinach and broccoli with a tiny piece of the moussaka.

Hello to anyone I’ve missed.

LJ, please send that bee and spider over, I know of a great new home for them.

Minka and Merry, good to hear from you.

Klond, unfortunately, we don’t really ever have a glut of oranges. We are really stingey about giving them away as there are so few and they’re so good!

I didn’t post yesterday as we were up early for the dawn service and then I went straight to bridge from there. Came first, but that’s in the supervised group. We seem to come 1st or 2nd quite regularly now so hopefully there will eventually be a balance between coming top of that session and bottom of the other!

kiwi, I note that you also attended an ANZAC service. Well worth the minor sacrifice to show respect to all who paid a heavy price trying to defend our way of life. I hope the politicians reflect on what they fought and died for when they formulate their policies to give it all away.

Intesha, thinking of your dad and hope he’s receiving all the services and support that he deserves from the country he helped defend. Did he enjoy the day? Please say thank you to him.

Anzac, kiwi, Neil, I’d never heard the NZ national anthem before. It’s really cool!

Good morning all.
    LJ sorry your back took a turn for the worse, hope it gets better soon. Re your efforts to get your nephew’s kids away from electronic devices, you were doing the right thing even though the insect world hampered your efforts. It concerns me greatly about the amount of screentime kids have nowadays. I think the kids of yesteryear wouldn’t have let a spider or a bee stop them from the fun of bouncing on a rampoline. Electronic games provide too much stimulation, none of which has been created by the child. We used to spend hours making cubbies, riding bikes, climbing trees, playing totem tennis, dresss etc.

Speaking of dress ups, I used my holiday break to get rid of any clothes above size ten. All my clothes are small now and Iintend to stay that way.

LJ don’t be hard on yourself about the chocolate. Life could be over tomorrow and you would have denied yourself the pleasure of eating it. Having it in the house is pure torture. Make a conscious decision, Do you want to eat it eventually or not? If you don’t, pack it up and throw it in a bin down the road so you can’t. If you do, then eat it and get it over and done with and return to healthy eating ASAP. You are in charge of the chocolate, not the chocolate in charge of you.

I fasted for the first 4 days of the holidays, followed by 4 consecutive days of deliberate and conscious days of feasting with friends and family, now I am fasting till Sunday when we are out for lunch. I didn’t weigh myself as I didn’t feel different in my body. The first feast day I made a carrot cake for my friend’s birthday and thoroughly enjoyed helping her eat it. I haven’t made a cake since my kids were small , at least 20 years ago. The next day was an Easter barbecue lunch. On Sunday I made roast pork with all the trimmings for a family dinner and Monday was another barbecue party which lasted all day. I thoroughly enjoyed all the food and don’t regret a mouthful, however I am back to fasting so all the fun I had doesn’t have a permanent effect on my body .

Minka social gatherings are awful when you are on Keto. Why shouldn’t you have fun and socialise? Any food regime that denies you a food group is doomed to failure. Also what a pain a Keto diet is inflicting on the other non dieters! It takes a shine off everyone and everything when someone is persisting in denying themselves. There is a time and place for everything. With Keto, it doesn’t specify how much exactly to have of meat etc. I am proof, I went on Keto for at least a year and hated myself for being 83.7 kg. My friend and I started our diets Sept 9 last year, I was/ am on the Fast Diet Rosy style and she was on Keto. She lost 5 kg initially but missed the food groups that weren’t allowed and regained all the lost weight. She still didn’t listen to me and went on Slimming World which didn’t work either. Finally, she tried fasting and lost ten kg but still has further to go. In over 7 months I have lost 22.5 kg and that includes the silly season at Christmas and Easter. I haven’t denied myself anything or weighed food or calorie counted but still have lost between 2 and 4 kg a month. I have 1.5 kg to go.

Hi guys the gremlins are at it again. Just wrote a really long post and it has disappeared. I am all written out at the moment and hope it will reappear later.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,501 through 20,550 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.