Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,051 through 20,100 (of 28,011 total)

• Welcome home Intesha! We missed you.

Glad you had an exciting trip but sorry for your feet and knees and the poor weather.

Enjoy your relaxing day šŸ™‚

Oh also had afternoon tea at The Peninsular Hotel, one of the most famous places in Hong Kong. No reservations and had to wait over an hour and a half for a table. Glass of champagne was $AU40 šŸ˜±. Great experience except for the wait.

1.3kg lost over yesterdayā€™s FD. It was obviously a bunch of water along with the weight.

Thin, I donā€™t recall what tickets for Beatles concerts costed back in the day, but Chicago was probably the closest place they played to where I lived and Chicago is usually high. I guess these days I would pay in the low hundreds to see a group or person I liked. I was a Willie Nelson fan back then and saw him a couple of times at Lake Tahoe and in Sacramento. DS and I were up near the front in Sacramento. It was an outdoor concert and a gazillion degrees as I recall. Spray bottles with water were big that day. Saw Jimmy Buffet a couple times. Those were fun concerts. Nothing like the big rock concerts though.

Iā€™ve watched The Killing season 3 through episode 9. The last few had me practically hyperventilating! Very intense and well written. I love the characters. I will be sorry to see it end. The short season 4 is the end from what Iā€™ve heard. But it would sure be nice if they decided to continue it. Thank you again for the great suggestion, thin.

Anzac, canā€™t wait for you to get final approval on that job. Hope you find out in the next couple days.

Neil, great job on the weight loss. This WOE seems to be working very well for you. Amazon has the Fast800 book, but looks like it ships from the U.K. given the delivery time.

Rosy, Iā€™ve been to Pearl Harbor when we were in Hawaii. Very somber place. On a beautiful sunny afternoon it was hard to believe the horror of that day long past. Of all the times Iā€™ve been to New York and New Jersey since 9/11, Iā€™ve avoided going to the site of the twin towers. That day had such a traumatic effect on me that I couldnā€™t bring myself to visit the site. Just looking at the skyline makes me sad.

Quacka, I love your saying for the day. Congrats on the weight loss.

Intesha, welcome home!

A few more weeks and weā€™ll probably be having similar weather between our two hemispheres. Spring an Fall are my favorite times of the year. Warm temperatures but not too cold or too hot. Alexa says it should get to 15 today, but she is not always to be believed. šŸ˜

Another cool grey Melbourne morning, but no rain yet.
    Hello everyone, it is Wednesday fast day for me. I’m feeling fine and am in need of a good fast, reset day,

LJoyce, I do hope you can find a way to get your quiet sleep time back.
    I’m celebrating because I got 4 hours straight last night, first time for a while. Life suddenly becomes much easier.

The rejuvelac went into the compost this morning. Back to the drawing board.

Lindsay, so glad to hear you are improving, I hope that dreaded lurgy is so gone today. Wow, that Beatles concert is a cool claim to fame.

Cali, I love hearing of your op shop finds.

Later: Home help turned up two hours early. I’ll post this and then see who else has posted.

A coolish 27C for Perth today. There’s a 35C day forecast, hopefully the last of the season.

I enjoyed reading about the old concerts people attended. I agree about that Horses song! I also couldn’t get that repetitive, ‘It’s A Small, Small World’ out of my head years after visiting Disneyland. Your trip sounds fun Intesha.

CalifD, pleased you’re enjoying ‘The Killing’. I’m not big on country music but think WN has an incredible voice.

The weight is collectively falling off, well done everyone. I got down to 58.6kg yesterday but yesterday’s carbs have seen that off. FD for me today too Cinque. Just have to come up with something for the OFMs.

Part 2 šŸ™‚

Moomba is Melbourne’s big festival, Cali, but I have never been to it, and never met anyone who mentioned going.

I used to love going to concerts though, back in the day when they were twelve dollars and you didn’t have to buy a ticket a year in advance. I remember going to Festival Hall on the off chance, when the concert had already begun, and grabbing a ticket to see Bob Marley. He was wonderful, fire and spirit, and it was only a few months before he died.
    The last one I saw was the first time I left my daughter to be babysat. It was Sweet Honey in the Rock, such a great concert.

Anzac, so glad the job looks like it is falling neatly into place. I hope the cool change in a particularly lovely one.

Happy Birthday wishes (a bit belated) to Mr Thin! What a lovely way to celebrate his birthday.
    I loved Foyle’s War too. So wonderfully wartime English in the characters and interplay and so beautifully set.

Neil, what wonderful results you are getting. I am so glad.

Haha re the $99 Fast800 Diet Anzac, aren’t we lucky to be doing this for free. I wonder if that is the one done by the new website where they have dieticians on hand to support people.

Quacka, I hope you can work out what it is that is making you queasy. The only thing I can think of is to try chicken soup, or one of those other healing broths. My queasiness seems to have just gone away on its own. (Or maybe thanks to some sleep)

Intesha, Welcome home. I love the way you jam pack your sprees with all sorts of wonderfulness. I hope you get an easy recovery time, and how lovely that the next excitement is a visit from your daughter and grandchildren.
    And wow, another one who saw the Beatles. What a cool mum!

Cali, the Beatles tour of Australia was extraordinary. It was booked before they became really famous, but they were really famous when they got here in 1964. It was huge, and changed parochial little Australia forever. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-beatles-left-their-mark-down-under

Must go now. Best wishes all.

Neil surely that makes you our poster boy for this WOL. Congratulations.
    Welcome home Intesha. Sounds like a great trip. You crammed in more than most of us would see in 10 days. No wonder your feet hurt!
    Anzac I am going to chart my sleep too….I’m another bad sleeper. My OH is amazed that the minute he starts to get out of bed at night, I flick my Fitbit light to guide him to the loo. And he is right…usually I am wide awake, or close to it.
    Rosy we saw exactly the same behaviour at the tableau on Sentosa, commemorating
    the surrender of Singapore. Young Japanese laughing and trying to put their arms around the British and Japanese officers who were involved, trying to take photographs. There were some elderly people there who in particular looked very distressed. So no, no appreciation of history, I don’t think. They seemed to see it as a Japanase victory, oblivious to the final outcome.
    I cannot wait to get back to proper food, and eating well. I’ve had some lovely meals, including a great gado gado yesterday, where they’d wrapped little green beans and sprouts in lettuce leaves and poached them, before cutting them on an angle. So pretty, so healthy. But oh, those buffets. I can say, proudly, not one pastry has passed my lips. (OK twice when I wasn’t well I had some creme caramel…but half the amount I once would have had). And I have seen some sights down there. A woman yesterday in red pyjamas and slippers, cruising the food counters. A man in a snazzy pair of flannelette PJ pants, doing the same. And a woman breastfeeding a child at the next table. Don’t know how old the child was, but I’d guess school age…. his feet touched the floor as he sat in her lap (not passing judgment…I fed my children way past the accepted age at that period of time, but it did look odd.)
    I’ve stuck rigidly to TRE…not 16:8, but minimum 14:10. Scales on Friday will report the damage, but I don’t think it is too much).
    Off to pack. We have acquired some stone work for the garden, which never seems as heavy in the stone carver village as it does in the suitcase. This time I bought a lovely little ( relatively) water stand for small lizards and frogs. The base has a carved dome over it then the flattish dish on top. It only stands about 10cm tall and will be lovely in the courtyard nestled under the gingers and heliconias, and I’ll see it from the kitchen window. I bought something similar for my son for their new house, and also a little carved stone frog for my beautiful 5 year old, for her fairy garden. All nice reminders of the holiday.

Crickey so many posts while I’ve been writing away. Morning Cali, Thin and Cinque. Catch up tomorrow.

Ok let me see if I have managed this

http://imgur.com/a/dp2UpWI

Beautiful Lindsay, we’re reaching the time of year where we get some spectacular sunrises at home.

I just realised that my weight loss this week means I’ve lost more than 10% of my original body weight. 14.2 kg of my starting weight of 131.5 kg means I’m sitting at 10.8% of my original body weight lost.

It also puts me at over 1/3 of the way to my goal weight. I’ve lost 14.2 of a planned 41 kg which puts me 34.6% of the way there in just 7 weeks, which means I’m knocking off an average of just under 5% of my goal per week.

(Sorry, I’m a numbers person…. that’s probably why I like cricket so much)

Hi everyone

Lindsay, what a lovely sunset. It looks so peaceful.

Neil, congratulations on getting to 1/3 of your weight loss goal. I’m sure the momentum of that will help keep you motivated.

Intesha, glad you trip to HK was enjoyable, if tiring.

On the topic of concerts. I would not pay $100s for one, nor would I go to see a performer who I loved their prime, decades ago, but who is still performing in their 70s or worse. I can’t image it would live up to my expectations or memory of them in their heyday. I mostly went to concerts in my teens and early 20s, then stopped when they started getting expensive. My first concert was at age 14 – ABBA. The most memorable other concerts were Fleetwood Mac and Elton John. When concerts started costing 5 times the price of a CD I stopped going as it looked like such poor value for 2 hours of entertainment. Now they cost 10-50 times an album price, depending on the artist. I think the only band I would really have liked to see in their prime, but didn’t get to, was U2. Unfortunately the cost was prohibitive as they didn’t come to Adelaide, so I would have had travel costs as well.

Fasting today. I’ve just had a banana and I’ve taken a tub of minestrone soup out of the freezer for dinner.

I went for walk and on my way home I called into the shops to buy several birthday gifts and cards (4 family birthdays in this fortnight!)
    On the spur of the moment I decided to detour via the Salvos Thrift shop and was pleasantly surprised that all clothing was half price today. So I did a thorough scour of the racks and bought a pair of beige capri pants, a pair of purple track pants, a purple long-sleeve top and a turquoise polar fleece hoodie. All for the grand total of $8.50! That brightened my day.

Neil, congrats on losing 10% of your body weight! That is a real milestone. The rest will come off just as surely.

LJ, what a wonderful trip to the op shop! Itā€™s so nice when you can find several things you like, all in the same visit. Itā€™s a good thing you made the detour.

Lindsay, what a beautiful sunset! Thank you for posting the picture here.

Thin, before I forget, could you post a link for that Freddie Mercury photo again? I canā€™t find it now. Iā€™m going to watch another episode of The Killing before I go to bed. (No wonder I canā€™t sleep, huh?) I have a habit of binge watching shows like that. OH and I watched the final episode of ā€˜The Homecomingā€™ on Amazon Prime streaming. https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/tv-shows/homecoming-julia-roberts-tense-psychological-thriller/news-story/cb39bede9e50bf14fca5ff4b984a8c36 There are 10 episodes starring Julia Roberts and is probably one of the strangest and disturbing series Iā€™ve seen.

Cinque, 1964 was the year the Beatles first came to the U.S. and were on the Ed Sullivan show. They were well publicized before they arrived and I they may have had a couple of singles out, but that tour in February was the real beginning of thBritish Invasion of the U.S. The Rolling Stones, The Dave Clark Five, Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Animals, Peter and Gordon, Hermanā€™s Hermits (we loved his heavy British accent in Mrs. Brown Youā€™ve Got a Lovely Daughter) The Kinks, The Moody Blues just to name a few. For several years they took over our airwaves.

Cinque, thanks for Mr Thin’s birthday wishes and for posting that Beatles tour story. It looks like poor old Perth missed out, as usual! Hey, I wonder if that man mentioned in the red PJs was the same guy at Lindsay’s buffet breakfast? No wait, it was a woman in red PJs and slippers. Good grief, Lindsay, I do hope you got a photo! Sounds like another nice holiday is drawing to a close. Safe flight home.

Neil, you must be so proud of yourself losing all that weight.

LJ, Cinque, I never saw Abba, Bob Marley or Fleetwood Mac, loved them all. Despite all my rigorous downsizing, I still have my cassette collection. Of course, I never listen to those albums on cassette but the collection itself forms a snapshot of my music tastes during that particular era. My dad had given me a present which was well before its time – it was called a ‘discassette’. It was a portable device that could play 45s and cassettes. I always had diverse music tastes and my dad told me that these cassettes were going to be the ‘thing of the future’.

I find it a bit sad the way music is bought nowadays, one tune at a time. I loved it when my favourite artist’s anticipated latest album was released, studying the artwork and getting to know all the songs as a complete work of art. Pulling out the inserts and finding that great bonus of having all the lyrics printed out. And how we could walk down to the local music shop and ask to hear the vinyl album sitting alone in a little booth with headphones on. Back in the day.

CalifD, that series just keeps getting better as it concludes. Sleep tight! I loved those ‘British Invasion’ bands you’ve mentioned in that paragraph. Do you remember the Moody Blues’ “Go Now”? My brother was a young lad when the Beatles were launched. He remembers loving, “O-bla-di-bla-da” because it was his only chance to say ‘Bloody’ out loud without getting a walloping from my dad! Yes, will look for the FM photo now.

LJ, I’ll still go to see Bryan Ferry when he’s 100. It will never be too late for him to realise that he should have married me.

Here you go CalifD: https://imgur.com/pOki0ud

FD800 day today which went well, with much better content than yesterday!!! šŸ™‚

Congrats, Neil, on losing more than 10% of your body weight already. Actually, so have I when I think about it, but since 26/11/18, not just this year.

However, I still have 23 kg to lose, so quite a long haul yet. That’s okay, better to be here than where I was last year, and some more clothes are getting too big, which is ultra-pleasing!!!!

Mornin’ all. VERY wet in Sydney today (50-80mm). Humid too.

FD today. I have my usual salad with a small amount of steak with a few teaspoons of home-made thai dressing for lunch. Dinner is Turkey mince and veges with chilli and a few drizzles of soy and hoi sin.

I’ve lots just over 10% of my body weight too so I will join your club Neil and BetsyLee! Actually it is closer to 15% but it has taken me 14 months.

I can’t stop staring at that photo of Freddy Mercury Thin. It is so haunting and poignant and you captured him perfectly. I’m sure if Bryan Ferry met you he would marry you in an instant! I feel the same about John Stevens from Noiseworks…hubba hubba

Very belated happy birthday to Mr Thin. Glad he had a lovely day

What is it about March LJ? It is a busy month for birthdays for me too. I can’t believe your bargain – $8.50 for all those clothes! Well done

Gorgeous sunset Lindsay. Here’s one from our trip to Vanuatu last September
    https://imgur.com/sqr9XZP

Re the Beatles, I loved their music when I was younger; I still do but not quite as much as back then. I wasn’t around when they toured Australia but apparently my sister pestered Mum and Dad to take her to the concert. She was 4 or 6 so of course they had to say no.

Have a perfect day everyone

9am Thursday, Adelaide

I got a bit of a shock when I looked at the forecast. Starting Saturday we begin another hot spell. Next week is all mid-high 30s. I hate it when I think we’re safely into autumn and the summer makes an unwelcome return.

I finally have the noise issue fixed for now. On Tuesday night I tried playing music, but I think it was part of what kept me awake almost all night. So yesterday I looked at earplug options and I bought some soft foam earplugs. They were comfortable enough to sleep on and I heard nothing all night. If fact the level of absolute quietness was a bit disconcerting. The thing I like about this, is it blocks out other noises that sometimes wake me at night, they also block the dog’s early morning barking.

Intesha, I hope that was a good glass of bubbly.

Betsy, glad you had a good FD.

Thin, did you ask about bridge on a previous page? I am still considering it, but I need to do the 8 week beginners course first before I can join a local club. The courses follow the school terms, so the next one starts in April. I found a bridge app and have played quite a lot of it and worked my way up to the “hard” level. I find myself getting quite agro when my “partner” makes a stupid bid (makes me want to rewrite its algorithm!) It’s reduced my enthusiasm a bit actually, so I’m rethinking my plans.

Anzac, that’s a lovely sunset picture too. Are we starting a competition?
    As to March being a busy month for birthdays, maybe the start of winter increases the pregnancy rate – early nights perhaps?

Quacka, sometimes illness symptoms just have to be managed and it might mean FDs are not quite to plan until you are better. Last year after the abdominal surgery, I didn’t manage a normal FD for 2 weeks until I was over the nausea. I needed something grain based like crackers or rice cakes to settle my stomach by lunch time.

Cali, I enjoyed my thrift shop trip. Super bargains like that are always welcome.

Change of plans for me today. No babysitting as most of the family is sick.

My FD yesterday was fine but a struggle, because I was so tired I was hungrier than usual.

I have been reflecting on the period of FD800 that I did last month. They didn’t feel like FDs, they felt like CDs because I ate 2 meals and snacks like I would on a NFD. I had always known that doing 3-4 800cal FDs would be an alternative to 2 normal FDs (mine are usually 350-400cal), so I’ll keep that option in my back pocket for now. If I ever get to a point where I’m struggling to face a FD, I know a couple of FD800 days would be an alternative to a normal FD and would still keep my weight on track. Not considering it yet, but it’s nice to have a back-up plan.

Time for me to do some chores and errands.

March certainly is a busy month for birthdays, my mother, wife, nephew and friend all have birthdays within a couple of weeks of each other (18th, 15th, 23rd and 11th respectively) 9 months before March is June, so perhaps it’s the huddling together for warmth in the winter months šŸ˜‰

I’m hoping to hit the 15% club by the end of my 12 week fast800 stretch. I’m thinking of doing 4:3 rather than 5:2 because I don’t want to slow down the weight loss rate too much.

I’m thinking of trying a couple of the recipes from the fast800 book this week. I haven’t up until now, but I might as well make use of the resources.

Anzac, what a beautiful sunset. Glad you like the FM photo, thank you for your comments. Thanks for Mr Thin’s b/d wishes. Not around when the Beatles toured? – wow, you are such a youngster Anzac! And raining in Sydney? Lovely!

LJ, some of the bridge programmes online do seem to make silly bids. It could also appear so because there are so many bidding conventions about which you’re currently unaware. And some of them use the ACOL bidding system when it’s more likely that your teacher will teach American Standard. I use Bridge Base Online because their learning map allows you to practice specific aspects of your choosing. I recommend completing the 8 week course of lessons first though. I think you will love it! And I look forward to trying the LJ bidding algorithms some day!

Glad that you got the noise issue sorted. Earplugs are a ‘no go’ item for me. Which is a pilot expression for not going without them, contrary to how it sounds. I know that March can still throw out some very hot days in Perth so I don’t take down the bobtails’ shade cloth until April. This summer they’ve been free range in the front garden so didn’t really need it. April also marks the end of the pool shrieking next door so I love this time of year. We are trying to work out what’s going on because there has been no pool activity for the past three days. They can’t be away because it’s school term time. We’ve had the bi-folds wide open and been able to hear the various bird song and our fountain.

Rosy, how did you get on at the real therapist appointment? Feeling a bit sore? Has the swelling gone down? Did he/she measure your grip strength and give you some strengthening exercises?

Well done to those of you shedding all that weight. Good job! Imagine how great you’ll look by Christmas this year!

Good news today – saw the doc, and my cholesterol is now down in the normal range. He took one look at the result, and asked, “Have you been taking Lipitor?”, which is the statin he wanted me on; I responded “no” and he was very surprised. Don’t think he really believes it, as he’s asked me to have another test in 3 months time (when I’ll be lighter again! šŸ™‚ ).

Accidental FD800 today, as I was quite busy. With Wednesday and tomorrow, that will be 3 in a row, so we’ll see what the scales say on Saturday a.m. Conference tomorrow and Saturday, but not a problem as food is not provided. You either take your own, or buy some from food stalls. I have mine all planned, so should be fine.

Have to close without commenting on other posts – up early tomorrow for the conference. It’s nearly an hour from home, and longer in peak hour traffic.

Oh, just a comment – forget who wrote it, but to agree – yes, I’ve also been enjoying the lovely autumn weather, and not impressed with the heat coming back again.

Hi Thin, thanks for asking about my wrist. The hand therapist appointment went fine thanks. We went through a range of exercises similar to what you had to,d me. Swelling has gone down, only I could tell it looks different from the other wrist.i have been wearing a piece of tubigrip on it because it helps support it and makes me feel safer. My range of motion is better , I still have some pain but much less than before. Itā€™s been an eye opener as I had assumed that once the cast was off, Iā€™d be all better, didnā€™t know that it could take weeks, months or even longer for it to get back to normal.
    What was your ohā€™s opinion of that plane that went crashed and is now grounded in the US?
    We are going to a St a Pats day party on Saturday night. I have to take home made party sausage rolls which I will do tomorrow on my nfd. I have a bright ,green , tulle tutu , green stockings, green wig and a green bow tie, I think Iā€™ll opt for a black top to balance all the green. On Sunday I am doing a fast day which is not usual because itā€™s my sonā€™s birthday on Monday and he is coming over for dinner and requested slow cooked beef ribs, slaw, potatoes with sour cream and chives and Yorkshire pudding. Luckily, he takes after his mum and doesnā€™t like dessert ( except ice cream). I have been doing my usual strict 5 btb fast days this week so hope for a result on Saturday morning even if it is only 200 g. I donā€™t expect wow weight loss now even though I am fasting just as stringently, I think it will be more of a trickle.

Good morning all

Although I did wake once with a full bladder at 3am, I had about 7 hours sleep in total and woke at 7:30 without being woken by noise. That feels like success to me. The ear plugs were especially welcome last night as without them the construction noise from the railway-road redevelopment was quite noticeable – usually I’m far enough away that it’s faint (they do the things that block the railway line or the road through the night).

Thin, thanks for recommending that bridge site. I’ve found it online and will look for the app too. I do realise that some of the bids are more about getting to 100 points with the next hand or stopping your opponents from doing that, it’s just that there are better bids, in my opinion that could do that than the ones made. I think what makes me particularly angry is that my bids invariably get raised by my partner then they become the “dummy”, leaving me to deal with an almost impossible bid that I didn’t make. I realise it’s the way the game’s played, but being dumped into a mess, not of my own making, never ceases to irritate me.
    I think I will do the classes that start on the first Friday in May and than I’ll decide whether to join a local club.

Rosy, when forearms are broken you can damage more than just the bones. My mother broke both bones in her forearm at 18 and even with surgery and a year of therapy she was never again able to close her fingers into a fist – she could only bend them about 1/3 of the way. (I suspect there would be a better outcome these days, but this was the 1930s.) In that part of the body, there’s bones, tendons, ligaments, nerves, blood vessels and muscle all packed into a fairly narrow space and a lot can go wrong.
    Keep up the exercises, I’m sure your strength and movement will improve with time. Just be wary of assuming the tubigrip will protect you – it’s not strong enough to do that. But I totally understand feeling safer with it on – I did the same thing after operations on my wrists.
    Sounds like a fun party. Are you panning green food too?

Neil, there’s nothing wrong with mixing things up a bit when it comes to how you schedule your FDs after 12 weeks. When you have a lot to lose, keeping the weight loss moving at a good rate really helps motivation, so I understand you want to keep that going. When I came to 5:2 I only had 9kg to lose (recently regained weight after a long time using a VLCD to lose over 50kg). I did 500cal FDs for weight loss, but I tried both alternate day and 4:3. In the end I settled on a 3 day system of 2NFDs followed by one FD, which basically meant 10-11 FDs per month but always with a break of 2 NFDs in between. It was the system that worked best for me. I think it’s important to try the various option and find the one that suits you.
    Another option to consider is to take a break from your current program for a month and do 4:3 or 5:2 and see what your weight loss is like. If you are happy with the rate that’s great. If it feels too slow and is affecting your motivation then you can always do another period (or several) of Fast800 as you are doing now. When I was morbidly obese and started a VLCD of 800cals that was recommended to me also. We did 12 weeks on 800 cals then had 4 weeks off on either 1000 or 1200cals (depending on our weight – I did 1000) before returning to another 12 weeks on 800 cals.

Betsy, hope the conference goes well and you stick to planned food. That can be a challenge if the food on offer is tempting – especially if you are feeling weary.

I caught myself eating something while preparing lunch yesterday. Old habits are hard to break. It was only a slice of grilled eggplant, but that’s not the point. I want to always be aware I’m putting food in my mouth and not do it without thought or conscious choice.

I need to do the grocery shopping and other errands today. Once the hot weather starts tomorrow I won’t want to have to do these things.
    Have a good day all.

Thanks for the advice LJ, I love that we have a mixture of people starting out, people halfway through, and people who have been there, done that when it comes to the weight loss. It’s great to have people who have successfully dropped weight that can offer advice.

LJ, I appreciate your frustration; you just have to find the right online platform for you. What I meant about bidding conventions is that there are certain bids which aren’t natural bids (for example, a bid of 2 clubs in certain circumstances may have nothing to do with the bidder’s holding in clubs) that could confuse you if you haven’t yet learned about that. I agree that some of the programmes seem to make outlandish bids. I’m so pleased you’re going to take lessons. I think you’ll be a natural at it.

Rosy, glad all’s progressing well with the wrist recovery. Isn’t it amazing how 6 weeks’ immobilisation can render such weakness and stiffness to a joint? It’s a bit difficult to summarise OH’s ‘Monday Morning Quarterback’ thoughts on the two Boeing crashes and this probably isn’t the place to do it but, in a nutshell, today’s pilots are computer operators lacking actual ‘seat of the pants’ flying e.g., they’re trained never to allow a plane to stall so they likely fought the auto pilot all the way to the ground (turning it off and re-trimming is probably all they had to do); also inexperienced pilots – co-pilot with 200 hours and the young PIC with supposedly 8,000 flight hours. That means he’d racked up 1000 hrs per year which is unlikely. But, it’s easy to speculate from your armchair and, by the time the reports are concluded, the flying public will have long forgotten. As for grounding them in the US, that’s a political decision rather a safety consideration.

It’s funny that you bring this up Rosy because, to get current for an upcoming job, OH had to fly in a Cessna 172 with a young whipper snapper instructor yesterday. Having the 19 y/o assessing the skills of the 73 y/o pilot is a bit like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs. But them’s the rules and OH promised me he was humble about it! He did say that the young lad was highly skilled for his years (proving that the assessment was going both ways!).

Betsy that’s great, I hope you told that doc how you’ve achieved that result.

I’m back in the 58s again. Not really trying but it seems to be where I’m stabilising and I seem to get full very quickly and lose interest in food. Again, this window has been open for hours so I’d better copy/paste it first and then there will be lots more to read. Have a great weekend all.

*rather than, sorry

Thin, thank you for posting the FM photo again. Appreciate seeing it even more after BH. Iā€™ve been busy watching The Killing. I think the last episode was season 4, episode 2. Only a few more episodes and it will be over. I was practically hyperventilating through the last episodes of season 3. Whew, what a show! I got too little sleep last night after staying up to watch ā€œjust one moreā€.

My FD for today is moved to tomorrow because of OHā€™s birthday today. Weā€™re waiting til the weekend to go out but I made pork tenderloin tonight and there was birthday cake. šŸ˜ Whatever I gained I hope to get back off on my FD.

LJ, glad the earplugs are working. OH has a container of those and they work pretty well for him when he uses them. I guess he likes to be aware of some of the household noises. Itā€™s only when a neighbor is having a party or a dog is barking that he wears them. I have trouble falling asleep, but once I fall asleep I am not usually disturbed by noises unless theyā€™re especially loud.

Rosy, Iā€™m sorry your wrist is taking a while to get back to normal. I hope it recovers quickly with the exercises and all. But at least youā€™re rid of the clunky old cast.

Betsy, great news on the cholesterol. I bet it will go down even further, the longer you are eating healthier foods and losing weight. Without all the extra stress that weight puts on your body you will likely see lots of changes besides just looking slimmer.

Neil, youā€™re doing great with the Fast800. You mentioned trying 4:3 and 5:2. You could actually try each for a couple of weeks and see how they work out for you. You know Iā€™m partial to 5:2 because it seems easy. But weight does come off more slowly.

Neil, I just arrived home to see the news on the mass shooting in Christchurch. It’s beyond my comprehension that something like that would happen in such a sedate city like Christchurch. I’m so sorry to hear that this has happened in NZ.

Yes, I have relatives and friends in Christchurch but luckily they are all in the Northern and Eastern suburbs so weā€™ll away from danger. Itā€™s scary that it happened so close to home. Chch is only about 4 hours north of us. Apparently the Aussie guy that organised it picked NZ for the very reason that nobody would expect an attack here. He said he did it to show that nowhere is safe.

I feel for the people of Chch, they were finally recovering from the big earthquake and now get hit with this. Another sad point is that one of the people who died was a teenager who just arrived in the country a few months ago as a refugee from Syria. He came here to escape the violence in his own country.

Weā€™ve just heard that a house in our city, just 10 minutes from our house was raided in connection with todayā€™s shootings and firearms were seized. This is really scary.

Neil, I’m glad to hear your loved ones are all safe. Hopefully the raid in Dunedin is just looking for evidence and not a local threat.
    Wishing you safety and your country healing.
    Even writing this I’m still shaking my head in disbelief.

Neil, I just woke up to the news about the mass shooting in Christchurch. Iā€™m glad Your friends and relatives arenā€™t near the danger. Itā€™s very upsetting. I hope that everyone involved is brought to justice. These types of things make everyone feel unsafe. Even more upsetting that a house nearby was raided, possibly in connection.

Good morning,
    A special sad hello to Neil and others from NZ who might be reading. I’m as devastated as you would expect. Such a terrible taking of precious life.

I’m recovering from having my 4 yo granddaughter overnight on Thursday. She did her ‘awake in the middle of the night for a couple of hours’ thing which completely slays me. I think it takes a year off my life. When will she grow out of it? She sleeps through at home.

Luckily she is adorable. She gave me the cutest compliment. She was telling me how, when her mum was a baby, her mummy grew in someones tummy. So I said, that was my tummy she grew in!
    And she just went “Oh, I wish I could have grown in your tummy, grandma!”
    I’ve been giggling about it ever since.

I was so tired yesterday, I’m afraid I overate terribly. Still recovering today, but I will look after my health.

LJoyce, so glad the earplugs are giving you easier nights. And what excellent op shop finds!

Betsy, I am so glad to hear of your cholesterol results. You winner!
    I hope the conference is interesting and not too tiring.

Rosy, have fun at the party tonight.
    And ooh, your son has put in an order for a wonderful feast! What a happy birthday he will have!

Sending best wishes to everyone.

After 5 days of btb fasting, I lost 200g, which is what I expected as my weight loss is slowing down. I have now lost 20.2 kg which takes me to 63.5 kg. Just a few more weeks should do me. I measured my waist this morning and it is 28 inches and I am size ten in everything. As with what happened last week, I have been unable to go to the toilet for something solid, will probably be able in a few hours and then I will be lower still.
    @cali , the Pearl Harbour museum was an amazing place as was the rest of Hawaii which is such a unique combination of a tropical paradise with all the comforts of American civilisation. (Their hotels , service, towels, sheets, restaurants etc are so good ). I have a picture of my boys and I standing outside the intact Twin Towers in Sept 1999, little did we realise the horror that was to happen on that very spot a year later.
    Thanks for your good wishes re my wrist, it is slowly less painful and stiff and it is so nice to be fully clean all over !
    Where were you all when you first heard about 9/11? I was working in the country and was just putting my boys to bed when I saw the totally unbelievable footage on tv which replaced the normal programme. We thought someone was playing a joke that it couldnā€™t be real. Still canā€™t believe it. Iā€™d like to revisit New York in a few years when I retire.
    @ Cinque yes , yesterdayā€™s shooting in NZ was horrifying, do they know what prompted him? Yes I am looking forward to the fun and frivolity of tonightā€™s St Pats party. I have a green tutu, green stockings and a green wig to wear.

@neil such alarming news, do they know of the gunmanā€™s background/motivation/sanity?
    @ Thin , I have researched that it can take many months for the pain of fractures to go away after cast removal. Iā€™m doing my exercises religiously. The worst one is when you lay your palm flat on a surface and then flip it over with a twisting motion.
    What age are pilots expected to retire ? Do you ever occasionally dip below 58 kg ?

LJ thanks for your words of wisdom. What operation did you have on your wrists? I hope they both werenā€™t done at the same time, that would be terrible. No green food LJ, Iā€™m making normal coloured,homemade sausage rolls.

Speaking of Autmn/Spring, when I worked in Canada, I was surprised to find that it is not considered to be the next season until the 21st of that month but in Australia the day of the month starts a new season. Does anyone know why Australia does not follow the solstice/equinox system.
    Well done Anzac, Neil and Betsy Lea, if I have lost 20.2 kg and my starting weight was 83.7,So I think I have lost about one quarter of my body weight or almost 25 percent.

CalifD, I’m enjoying Season 4 too. I think we have only two left. I will miss my nightly ritual but might find something less tense to view for a while! It is strange that this season is so short as you say. Happy belated birthday to Mr C. Funny that our OH’s birthdays are so close. Is he the same age as you? Where will you go to celebrate this weekend?

Rosy, just out of interest, have you thought of relaxing those 5 FDs now? You mentioned dropping back to 4 FDs in a row. It seems a lot of effort to fast for 5 days only to lose 200g. Just wondering if you couldn’t achieve that with two FDs? Over the years, there have been many posters here enthusiastically embarking on 4:3 but, from my recollection, they didn’t seem to get any more reward on the scales than when they were doing 5:2. I’m not telling you how to run your campaign (which has been very successful) but just want it to be sustainable for you. 63kg is such a good weight and you’ve done so well – time to reward yourself, maybe? Have fun tonight meanwhile!

Re: 9/11, OH had just completed a 3 month job in Alaska and had sent his passport to the Vietnamese embassy in DC for a visa. All US planes were grounded so he was in California, his pp was in DC and I had to proceed with 6 y/o DD to Saigon as planned and wait for him there. I wasn’t afraid to fly, it was one of the safest times in terms of security but it disrupted our reunion.

The age for retiring pilots depends on what aspect of commercial flying they’re doing. Subject to passing his first class medical, my OH can continue test flying until he falls off the perch since he’s the only person in the plane while he’s spinning and stalling it. Same goes for cargo flights – how many cargo planes make the MS news when they crash? None. Different story for passenger aircraft of course and the rules are different for different countries and airlines. Personally, I’d rather have the seasoned old codger up front but that’s just me!

Quacka, Anzac, where are you? Lindsay are you safely home?

Cinque, I missed your post yesterday and hoped you were OK. That sounds a terrible toll on your wellbeing and health. I hope you recover soon and I hope little miss 4 grows out of that habit even faster.

Saturday 5pm. Have been reading but been too busy to post. All the builders have left so we have been cleaning up (oh my goodness the dust) puttying up nail holes etc in woodwork, sanding and painting. Carpet has been laid in the passage and Miss D’s bedroom.

The new kitchen and shelving for the walk in pantry (originally the laundry) has been ordered but will take 4 or 5 weeks to be made and install so we are unable to lay the lino in the dining room and kitchen until after the installation. Still lots of little jobs to do. The new screen door for the kitchen will take 2 weeks to arrive and then tiling once the kitchen is in. When I say new kitchen, although the renos have made the kitchen a bit bigger it’s still small so the only kitchen unit is a larger version of the current L shaped bench. Hence why we’ve created the pantry due to lack of space in the actual kitchen.

I’ve also started my next unit of study (ho hum) and MissD thought it would be a good idea to fall out of a tree during recess at school on Tuesday and damage her wrist. We seem to have a thing about wrists on this forum. So off to the Dr, then the xray clinic, back to Dr to get results, mix up at xray clinic and results missing, found the following day so back to Dr again for results to find nothing broken just a bad sprain.

A few comments on the post conversations from the last week.

Mindful eating. I always put my cutlery down between each mouthful and chew slowly etc. OH on the other hand scoffs his food like he hasn’t eaten for a week and has finished his meal by the time I’m about one third eaten. I keep reminding him to eat slowly but nothing changes.

Concerts- well I’ve seriously seen more concerts than I can remember. Music has always been a huge part of my life. I managed a record shop (Yes LPs and cassettes and then CDs came in) for over 10 years and we were also a booking outlet for concert ticket agency BASS (Ljoyce would know BASS). My first partner of 20 years was a DJ and we both played in bands. My OH was also a DJ in the 80s and 90s. I’ve seen everyone from opera to country to rock to heavy metal concerts. I have a very wide range in my music taste. Sometimes I hear a song and I remember that I have actually seen that band or artist in concert. A few years back I did write a list of all the concerts I’ve been to and I even shocked myself. My best ever concerts were Queen, Paul McCartney and Wings, Tom Jones, Neil Young, Elton John and Dame Kiri Dikanawa (not sure of spelling).

Pleased to report the little line on my fitbit weight loss graph is still heading downwards. Will know my weekly average loss at tomorrow mornings weigh in.

And I can’t go without expressing my sympathy to those affected and my utter disbelief at the horrific events in NZ yesterday. xx

Hi all

Iā€™m still in the land of the living, thanks to some strong antibiotics. I donā€™t think I have ever coughed as much in my life. Learnt a new tip though, throat lozenges are only 5 calories, perfect snack on a FD

The other benefit was that I was able to binge watch Cardinal, a Canadian crime show currently on SBS. The lead is Billy Campbell from The Killing. He scrubs up quite well, in fact he looks quite different. Speaking of The Killing, we have Netflix as a present from my DD, as an add on from her subscription and she forgot to tell me she was changing over to Stan for a while. Hadnā€™t quite finished season one. GRRR.

Have read all the posts and Iā€™m in the 10% club and have slid into ā€˜ overweight ā€˜ category but all that pales into insignificance compared to the events in Christchurch. The unimaginable horror of such twisted thinking leaves us all speechless. I just spent 4 hours at a play centre in a largely Muslim area where my DS lives and it was such a happy environment and I couldnā€™t help comparing the two situations. Neil, you must be proud of your PM, she is such a gracious and articulate lady. She always seems to get it right

Wonā€™t try to comment on all the posts. Iā€™m still a bit woolly headed but Iā€™m glad to say that I hope to catch up with Cinque next week and Iā€™m sure we will have a lovely gossip.

Klondi, glad to hear that youā€™re recovering and are back in the land of the living. Do take it easy until youā€™re done with the antibiotics and feeling back to normal. Too many people push it when they start to recover and end up with a relapse. Throat lozenges would be a good FD snack if theyā€™re the menthol type because they kind of deaden your taste buds for a while. There are even sugar-free ones.

Thin, I finished watching ā€˜The Killingā€™ last night, the last 2 episodes. Wow! What an amazing couple of episodes and ending. Iā€™m sad that it ended, but I guess they run out of storylines suitable for these characters after a while. Now Iā€™ll have to find something else to binge watch at night. Or get back to the books I have stacked up.

Gday, it sounds like major progress has been made on your reno. Still, not having the kitchen finished probably makes it feel like thereā€™s a lot to go. I love having work done on the house, but it does get tiresome after a while when there are lots of delays. Hopefully your weather is cooling down.

Rosy, the first time I saw the Statue of Liberty was from the Windows on the World restaurant at the top of the 1 World Trade Center in the 80ā€™s. I was there with my boss and another co-worker the day after I had accepted my job and been hired. That made it feel closer than the other side of the country when the towers collapsed. I was at a trade show in Las Vegas on 9/11. It was an awful time to be away from home. When the show was over a few days later I rented a car and drove 870 km home to California. The airlines were still grounded that night. Las Vegas was a surreal place on 9/11.

LJ, any more flowers on the Crepe Myrtle yet? It looked like some buds were getting ready in that photo you posted. Hope the earplugs are continuing to work for you. The Spring flowers on our Ornamental Pear Trees in front are just barely starting to open. Iā€™ll try to ge a picture later today. Temps are supposed to get to the mid to upper teens today. Fingers crossed!

Iā€™ll be making corned beef and cabbage for St. Patā€™s Day tomorrow. Not the healthiest meal, but one of my all time favorites. I think Iā€™ll make it in the Instant Pot again. Less cooking time to get it done to the point of falling apart.

Cinque, I hope Miss 4 gets over her waking during the night when she sleeps over. I wonder if a special ā€œfall asleep again toyā€ with some story attached to it would work? Or a special thing to do to go back to sleep without a sound? Sheā€™s probably just disoriented being in a different place. Does Miss 2 sleep through the night?

Good morning everyone,
    It is Sunday fast day for me, and well needed as a rest and reset.

I have just about caught up on sleep, back to my usual chancy levels anyway. Cali, those are good ideas for my granddaughter. I need a long recovery time before I try again, unfortunately. We have talked about seeing how I might go taking Miss 2 overnight as she did sleep through when minded by a dear family friend. PS: I love corned beef and cabbage. Happy St Patrick’s day.

Thin, thankyou. I missed posting on Thursday because I concentrated on cooking and tidying, which I did very successfully. Hooray. Hoping to again today, but after posting šŸ™‚

Gday, lovely to see your post but sympathy for being in a lull where there is so much more to be done. And no kitchen yet! But at least it must be more peaceful. Congratulations on the down ward graph!
    What an impressive list of concerts.

Klondi, lovely to see you well enough for posting. It will be so lovely to meet. I love what you wrote

Rosy, I think we follow the first of the month ‘change of seasons’ for bureaucracy’s sake. I wish we did it according to the solstices and equinox’s, although, to tell the truth, they don’t make complete sense for our seasons either. Victoria traditionally had 6 seasons:

Kooyang
    Season of eels: Late summer (late January to late March)
    A parched landscape: Late summer (season of eels or kooyang) is the hottest and driest time of year. The risk of bushfire (Piikorda) is high. Streams dry up.

Gwangal Moronn
    Season of honey bees: Autumn (late March to June)
    Sunrises, bees and flocking birds: Autumn (the season of native honey bees or gwangal moronn) is when the country starts to cool down after the summer heat.

Chinnup
    Season of cockatoos: Winter (June to late July)
    Cold, cockatoos and early wildflowers: Morning frosts, bleak mists and freezing winds make winter (season of cockatoos or chinnup) the coldest time of year.

Larneuk
    Season of nesting birds: Early spring (late July to late August)
    Nesting birds and changeable weather: Early spring (season of nesting birds or larneuk) is usually the wettest time of year with rivers running high. It’s a time of dramatic weather changes.

Petyan
    Season of wildflowers: Late spring (late August to mid-November)
    Wildlife and wildflowers: In spring (season of wildflowers or petyan), the bush bursts into life. The days are warmer, although the weather can still be tempestuous.

Ballambar
    Season of butterflies: Early summer (mid-November to late January)
    Warmth, butterflies and wetland plants: With the onset of summer heat, the land dries and the weather stabilises. This is the season of butterflies or ballambar.

Cali, you must visit in the season of cockatoos!

The New Zealand terrorism is still the major news ofcourse, so glad to hear of the heroism and kindness among the horror.

Best wishes to everyone.

Sunday morning weigh in – half a kg down on last week. Not as much as I was expecting but still happy. Must get motivated, pasty making day today. With all the renos going on cooking has taken a back seat and I have depleted the freezer of all the pre made meals. Another hot week ahead, 36 to 39 degrees for the next 7 days. Happy Sunday everyone

Good afternoon everyone.

I’m glad I did another FD yesterday. There was a birthday brunch at a cafe up in Blackwood this morning and I had a waffle with strawberries, melted chocolate and icecream! It was nice but I don’t want to think about how many calories or sugar grams it contained.

I then spent a couple of hours doing the rounds of the op shops near the cafe. I got a bit carried away. https://imgur.com/a/M6OoMQV I bought 18 garments for $118. I bought everything from summer tops, to winter jumpers, pyjamas and a beautifully made evening jacket that is a reasonable match to my only evening skirt. I’m going to have to have a bit of cull of my my existing clothing now. What was odd was that through the summer I struggled to find things that were right for me, yet today I found heaps of perfect summer things. I was spoiled for choice and had the luxury of being picky for a change. Now I have a lot of washing to do before I can put them away.

Hope everyone’s Sunday is going well.

Good afternoon friends, a very very very wet Sunday afternoon in Sydney. It hasn’t stopped raining for 2 days and we need an ark

I am so shocked and saddened at the terrible tragedy in Christchurch. Anywhere but beautiful New Zealand. The most friendly and safe place (apart from earthquakes) in the world I thought until now. I lived in Wellington for two years and while it was too cold for me I loved the people and the totally friendly vibe. I did hear that the evil perpetrator lived in Dunedin Neil and that must be a shock.

Thanks for asking for me Thin, that was lovely of you. It’s a bit hard getting time with a house guest (my SIL). Not that she is any trouble and in fact she vacuumed and mopped the entire top floor of our house today! We are all a bit stir-crazy in the pouring rain and she insisted that she enjoys it! I hate housework, as I might have mentioned, so I did downstairs (which is a fifth of the size of upstairs) and came up to a sparkling house

It’s also hard to stick to 5:2 with a houseguest. My FD on Thursday ended up being a bit of a disaster. I walked in the house after work to find SIL taking a huge loaf of freshly cooked bread out of the oven! She is an amazing baker. It is full of seeds and rolled oats and while I only had a match-box sized piece I also had a big piece for breakfast the next morning. Also on Thursday, SIL and OH were supposed to have something seafood but decided to have pad thai. My favourite. I had to have to it too of course (rolls eyes). I didn’t have any noodles but had a big serve of chicken and the crunchy veges and sauce. I haven’t put any weight on but I’m not losing either so next week I need to be firm

Half a kilo is great Gday, congratulations. Sorry to hear about MissD but glad her wrist isn’t broken. You must be looking forward to the finish of the reno’s but they do feel like they go on forever don’t they?

What an amazing op-shop haul LJ! All that for $118 is amazing and you are set for the next year at least. Your brunch sounds lovely too. I don’t have a sweet tooth but I do love waffles and icecream. And strawberries. Yum

So sorry to hear your granddaughter(s) are tiring you out Cinque. Look after yourself. How utterly gorgeous that she wishes she was born from your tummy.

Rosy – I was at home, here, when I heard about 9/11. I’m not sure if I was on holidays or working from home but I do remember that I didn’t go to work and sat transfixed for ages not believing what my eyes were showing me. We visited the memorial when we were in New York in August 2017 and it is the most hauntingly beautiful place I have ever visited. I had the same eerie feeling when we visited the Taj Mahal – as though a thousand voices were whispering and echoing all around without being heard. If that makes any sense.

Thin that must have been a bit scary to fly to Vietnam on your own with DD and your hubby stuck in the states. But you are right in that it would have been a very safe time to fly due to the increased surveillance.

Rosy, hope your party went well last night. Do please tell us all about it.

Klodie, glad you are feeling better. My Dad has just come down with it and he is 93 so it is always a worry. He told us to stay away but hubby and SIL are cooking chicken soup for him and will go and see how he is tomorrow.

Happy birthday to Mr Cali! Hope you all had a lovely day/night.

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday. We are about to settle in and watch Love Actually as SIL has never seen it. This will be about my 50th time (slight exaggeration) but I love it and can never watch it enough. Hubby loves it just as much and by now we can practically recite it! Can’t wait.

šŸ€Happy St. Patrickā€™s Day to everyone. šŸ€

LJ, you certainly hit the op shops on the right day! It looks like you purchased a whole new wardrobe. Itā€™s so nice when you have a lot of good things to choose from. I love that jacket with the flowers. It goes well with that skirt. And it looks like at least some of the tops are for winter.

Cinque, you mentioned making rejuvelac the other day. I hardly ever hear anyone mention that. I made a few batches several years ago for use in making a vegan cashew cheese. It worked very well for that but the rejuvelac itself wasnā€™t that appealing for drinking. Kombucha or kefir taste better to me. And the cheese which was a kind of cream cheese took quite a few days to ferment and process so I only made it a few times. But it did have a very good flavor. I made the rejuvelac with wheatberries and a couple times with quinoa.

Anzac, we were posting at the same time. Glad you are enjoying your SILā€™s visit. I agree, itā€™s hard to fast with houseguests. Freshly baked bread is irresistible for me. The smell of baking bread is one of my favorites. If they made a ā€˜freshly baked breadā€™ perfume Iā€™d buy it for sure. šŸ˜† Youā€™ll be back on your normal schedule soon. Just try to minimize eating where you can while theyā€™re here,

LJoyce. Can’t imagine how much more you might have bought if you hadn’t been picky. No one is going to believe that jacket wasn’t bought with the skirt. Hope you have lots of nice places to wear them

We were watching West Wing when we saw the news about 9/11 and at first thought it was somehow part of the plot. About half an hour later my DS and his fiancĆ© ( who had not long come from Tennessee) came in and we had to break the news to her. I don’t think any of us went to bed for quite a while and we felt a closer connection because of her distress

Cinque. What a lot you know about indigenous culture. Those seasons do match the weather here

Gday. Glad that plasterer finally turned up. Must be hard to eat properly without a kitchen. It would be so easy to resort to take away and eating out. Sorry about MissD but I hope that doesn’t deter her from climbing trees

Anzac. Well made fresh bread is a gift from heaven and should be treated as such. She will go home soon but she wil leave lovely memories and a clean house. The perfect visitor

End of the weekend. Saddened with you all re the events in Christchurch. I grieve with my Muslim friends!

More positive note – weigh-in on Saturday has me 10.2 kg down from my starting weight “Only” 22 kgs to go.

LJoyce, thinatlast & CalifDreamer, yes, my doctor knows I’m doing TRE and following the fast diet. I actually took the new book in and showed it to him. Every time I visit, I have to get on the scales, so he’s monitoring the weight loss, plus he checks my blood pressure, so if it drops too low, he’ll probably stop my meds. I’ll see him again mid-May for the flu injection, so I’ll weigh-in with him again then, and then mid-July, with blood tests about a week earlier. All being well, and provided I don’t do anything stupid, I’ll have lost another 8-10 kg by then.

Cinque, managed the conference with sensible and controlled eating, but came home tired at the end of the day Saturday, so it was a NFD with what I ate once home. However, not too concerned, as Saturdays are my go easy days. Today was a CD, and tomorrow I’ll be on FD800 again.

GDayFromSA, great the renos are about done, with “just” the cleaning up to do. Must be a relief!

Well I managed to survive a Sunday where I had 2 birthday parties to attend relatively unscathed.

I made some Paneer on Saturday so for the birthday lunch party I went to I made some Saag Paneer to take and I just ate some of that and some broccoli plus some of the kidney bean chocolate cake that I made from the recipe from the fast 800 website.

The dinner party I made some sushi, I didn’t have any of that but I had some bhagia, idli and vegetables and then some watermelon for dessert. Even then I felt full.

Melbourne cool morning, but must share what a beautiful sunset it was last night, with the waxing moon shining through the golden sky.

I had a good fasty fast day and am enjoying my lovely break-fast already.

Intesha, are you settled back at home and having some good fasts?

Merry, really missing you and sending good wishes.

A special hello to others who haven’t posted for a while.

Gday, I hope you had a great cooking day in whatever part of the kitchen you have working! Another half kilo gone, hooray!

LJoyce, what an amazing op shop expedition! Isn’t it amazing how you can go for ages sometimes without finding anything, and then all of a sudden a whole wardrobe is there! I always wonder how many of them came from the same donor, with a similar dress sense, and all the right size. Love the shirt!

Anzac, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time, and when 5:2 isn’t being practical I think the best thing is to enjoy the beautiful food in the healthiest way you can, and look forward to getting back into 5:2 when the time lets you. That seems to be just what you are doing, so hooray!
    I do hope your dad is improving well now.

Cali, yes re rejuvelac. I remember making it when I was a young adult and dutifully drinking it because it was meant to be healthy (1970’s superfood). I was hoping that my new instructions would make a better brew…. but no. I’ll stick to beetroots!
    How is your health going (mark out of 10?) I do hope your BP has been stable and that your general health is getting its resilience back.

Klondi, I cut and pasted the Victorian season info from here: https://www.visitmelbourne.com/things-to-do/aboriginal-victoria/aboriginal-seasons-of-victoria, I should have acknowledged the source! And I am going to learn the seasons off by heart to invigorate my old brain and hopefully so I can run them off properly and enjoy our own special seasons.

Betsy, woot! over 10 kg down! Passing the fast-baton to you hoping you have an excellent fast day today.

Yum Neil, you managed to have some delicious feast foods without overdoing it. Nice to know your tummy is sending such good ‘I’m full’ messages to your brain.

Best wishes everyone and I hope you have a great day.

Good morning, another drizzly day in Sydney 24 degrees

FD today and it is needed. Already hungry due to a long time in between FD’s so having a quarter of a chicken stock cube in some water and it is delicious. I worry about the strong smell so having it now before my close-sitting colleagues arrive

Managed to survive a pretty boring, wet weekend without snacking at all. I was the same weight this morning as Friday morning so pretty happy about that. 86.1 kg so I will be back in the 85’s after today’s FD. The crew (Hubby, Maxx, SIL and their brother who also lives in Sydney) are heading down to my sisters holiday house on Thursday for two nights so my SIL can see and spend some time at our gorgeous south coast. Is it awful to say I am eagerly awaiting some time to myself? No house/dog duties and a sleep in on both Friday and Saturday as I will be WFH on Friday! Whoo Hoo!!

Glad you had a fasty FD Cinque and enjoy that breakfast. I will think ahead to tomorrow and know that I will enjoy mine too. A small slice of SIL’s bread with some ham will be on the cards.

Well done Neil to survive two parties! I take my hat off to you as I certainly would not have been able to do it. You sound like an accomplished cook which helps enormously when you can cook healthy, delicious food. I did raise an eyebrow at the ‘kidney bean chocolate cake’. I am not a fan of beans of any kind except green and to have them in a cake just sounds a bit odd. Maybe you need to explain it more fully?

What a milestone BestyLee – 10kg gone already! Well done you šŸ™‚

Klondie & Cali, I have to whole-heartedly agree about freshly baked bread. I could (and mostly do) go without all other carbs but bread is my biggest downfall and I think so long as you avoid white bread and enjoy it in moderation it can certainly be worked-in to our WOL. I love the thought of a perfume that is freshly-baked bread aroma! I would buy gallons of it for sure!!

Thin, I meant to tell you how much I laughed when you called me a youngster! At 53 I don’t feel all that young but my aches and pains are already a bit better with the weight I’ve lost so soon I hope they will be minimal or even gone altogether.

Have an amazing day all

If this wasnā€™t St. Patrickā€™s Day with a corned beef brisket cooking away in the Instant Pot, it would definitely be a day early FD. I need to get my NFDā€™s under better control.

Our temps are supposed get up to 20C today and it feels like it might be there already. The white flowers on the Ornamental Pear trees in fron are finally starting to open, although theyā€™re not in full bloom yet. Here are a couple pictures of them: https://imgur.com/a/rfzokWJ I hope the storms a few weeks back didnā€™t blow off any buds because when they come into full bloom theyā€™re so pretty. When the blooms go away the green leaves come out. Around November the turn a deep orange and red. If we ever move from here I would plant that type of tree. They were here when we bought the house.

Neil, you are quite the cook. The variety of dishes you made sounds delicious. You have great self control not to devour it all!

Cinque, my BP is mostly under control except that it often gets too low with the BP meds which makes me feel lightheaded. I often eat Vegemite or miso to bring it up a little, which seems self defeating with the BP meds. I guess itā€™s better than having it high but I wish I could reach a happy medium. I have a doctors appointment this week to discuss.

Thin, did you watch those last 2 episodes of ā€˜The Killingā€™? Weā€™ll have to discuss by email since there are others here who are still watching it. Where is everyone whoā€™s still watching?

Anzac, having your weight at the same level Monday morning as it was on a Friday is an accomplishment. Your FD today should show you a loss.

Betsy, congrats on the 10kg loss so far. The other 22 will be gone before you know it. You know how to do it now so itā€™s just a matter of time. And every few kgā€™s will be more noticeable now so the journey will be full of new clothing sizes and maybe a few trips to the op shops. It had been years and years since I went, but Conque and LJ got me addicted. Iā€™ve been buying all of my clothes there lately. The deals are just too good to pass up.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,051 through 20,100 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.