Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 6 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,001 through 18,050 (of 28,011 total)

• Ha ha Thin I am definitely know Saint. I somehow manage to get through FD’s quite well although some days I wonder why I keep doing them as I can go from high to low in minutes depending on what is happening. NFD’s are another matter, yesterday I ate several cookies.

Reading our forum you realise that nobody’s life is easy. We all have our different struggles but put on a brave face because that is what is expected of us. Here we are anonymous but have banded together to support and encourage without any preconceived ideas. Truly a sisterhood. No more guys, was it something we said!!!

Went to see Mum yesterday. Some Monday’s I come away wishing the world would just go away others upset but accepting. Yesterday was a good day the bad days are her kicking, punching and screaming because she won’t let them shower or dress her and pleading with me to make them stop. It is so upsetting but I have to keep thinking, this is not my Mum. She would be appalled to see herself this way.

FD today, weight 68.8 and more cookie decorating. People don’t realise how time consuming it can be. We will call it the base coat but just that alone takes hours, once applied they go into the dehydrator for 2-3 hours before you start putting any other bits and pieces on. That’s why it can take days to finish one cookie.

Anyway thinking of you all and I apologise I don’t respond individually. Anzac yes we have all done it. I once ripped the side panel off my car backing through my gates 😱😱 Have a good day everyone

Good morning,
    There is lovely soaking rain happening on my garden (and the Melbourne Cup). My garden is very happy. I’m not so sure about the Melbourne Cup participants and attendees.

Intesha, what a labour of love those biscuits are. All the work does pay off with how enchanting they are.
    How hard it must be for you to see your mum in distress. I am glad yesterday was a good day.
    And oh dear yes, the men are conspicuous by their absence. We need to aim for a 50% quota! 😉

Thin, Intesha and I met when she was down in Melbourne a couple of years ago. I am looking forward to catching up again.

LJoyce what a fabulous story about your niece pinching raspberries and then getting THAT piece of tart. Haha, you are a proper Aunt! I am glad that eating out your freezer was so wonderful. I wonder what wonderful dinner plan you will work out for your sister and BIL.

Wo, it has turned into a thunderstorm out there!
    I am glad to be safely inside.

Lindsay my heart aches for the ongoing stress and frustration. Best wishes to both of you and fingers still crossed that it will work out well in the end.
    14kgs down is a great place to be for your birthday next Friday, and a whole year to wrap up the next 10. So glad you are keeping on keeping on.
    Tortoises are cool!

Cali I love logging on in the morning and finding your post from another timezone. And it is always a lovely feeling to donate a boot full of stuff to the op shop.

We had a great day on the Business Plan yesterday. It is as much a document to let people know what we are about, as our plan of action, so the work has been to communicate the concept well. I was called out for too many capital letters and too many superlatives, but at least I kept my exclamation marks in check!! ( 😉 ) Looking forward to making all the amendments today.

The thunder is more distant at the moment.
    Day before Fast Day for me.

Best wishes to everyone.

PS No emojis in the Business Plan!

Good Morning everyone

Lindsay, I really hope everything gets better soon.

Intesha, your cookies are amazing. I feel a bit sheepish putting up my pic of the jam drops now. LOL
    You have so much patience and talent.

Oh and I don’t have that much control, Anzac. I had two cookies on Sunday. One was just because I needed to ‘test’ them and the other one was just because. 😉
    OH took some for work yesterday and he liked them, which is nice.

I had a really easy FD yesterday. Nothing to eat until dinner time which was two different salads and a tiny piece of steak (only because OH insisted I eat some meat, so he cut me off a piece of his)
    Feeling nauseous today so haven’t eaten yet. Just tea and water.

One of the girls has had a tummy bug last week and then was also off yesterday as her daughter had it. What a great reason not to have a share platter!!!! I’m so happy that we aren’t doing that this year.

Weight this morning was down only 600g after a FD. Sometimes I think whyyyyyy 🙁 then I remember how much I have already lost and that weight loss on 5:2 is unpredictable. What I mean is, that it is not always a steady even line down. Sometimes it is jagged, sometimes it plateaus and other times it is nice and steep.

All the best for a nice easy FD today for those on one and I hope we all have a lovely day x

Morning all. up to 40 in nearby Ipswich today, which means we’ll be in the high 30s. Yuk.

Thank you for the thoughts. Hopefully, better news after our appointment today. I would hate you to think it’s all gloom and doom though. We do have some funny moments. Like just now, when he picked a pink shirt to go with a pair of green shorts that he thought were navy. Very colourful! My very well dressed OH would be mortified to go out looking so mismatched. And yesterday he actually put the towels etc away, after taking them off the line. First time in decades of marriage that he’s ever done that – he’ll take them off but leave them in the basket for me to sort….so we were able to laugh about that.

Did anyone watch Diet Testers last night? Yikes! Surely I’m not the only one who shuddered at the idea of eating afterbirth for weight loss? And a diet of baby food? Or bland food with little fibre? Or the champagne diet? I am also amazed at what many of the people on those diets eat. OK we all have our issues with food, in one way or another. But one chap from last week’s program loved uncooked cake mix. I mean, that’s not just scraping the bowl after baking. He was eating a bowl of it.

I’d better go and get dressed – we are meeting up with my eldest brother and SIL soon for a coffee before the dr’s appointment. They moved back to Brisbane about a year ago, and it is wonderful to have them close again. I have another brother who lives a suburb away, who’s just back from Europe, and it’s very comforting to have him and his wife back.

Calif really interested to hear how your elections go …. what an interesting time to live in America.

Enjoy your day, whatever it involves.

9am, Tues, Adelaide

Lindsay, I’m glad the surgeon is checking on your husbands progress today. Hopefully the Thursday procedure will speed up his recovery.
    Yes I caught diet testers – they do test some weird things.

Intesha, I’m the same with baking, on a FD I don’t test it just because it’s FD, on a NFD I don’t think I’m capable of baking and not tasting.
    Glad that yesterday was good day for your mum. I feel enormous sympathy for your situation. I know there are no easy answers but I will hope for more good days.

Cali, well done with the clothing clear out. There are so many other choices at the op shops that there’s no point hanging on to things you haven’t worn for a year or so. Having a cull gives you more space to fill.

Cinque, I’m planning a simple dinner tonight – grilled haloumi on toasted turkish bread with a mound of simple chunky salsa on top. Really quick to make and lovely flavours when the tomatoes are in season. I dress the salad with lemon scented olive oil which also soaks in to the bread. It’s one of my favourite summer meals. Without the bread I can also make it fit into a FD as long as the portion of haloumi is modest and I only use a teaspoon of the oil.

Quacka, nothing wrong with a 0.6kg loss. That’s more than a large block of butter.
    I hope the nausea you are feeling this morning doesn’t mean you have caught that bug.

NFD for me and it will be a busy one – that’s usually a good thing. I have to do some grocery shopping this morning and then have appointments in the hills this afternoon. Luckily my sister has a key to the house so they can let themselves in when they arrive.

I read all the posts this morning and now, some hours later, I can’t remember what I read.

Lindsay, great job losing 14kgs! You kept that quiet. Hope this week turns out to be really good for you and Mr L. and that you have something special planned for your significant birthday. If it makes your OH feel any better, my OH dresses like that and he’s fully sighted! (OK to be fair, he doesn’t own any pink shirts but he’s shocking for mixing grey tones with browns).

CalifD, I can’t seem to find, ‘The Americans’ on Netflix. I’m now down to 59.3kg so I might even see the 58s before the Silly Season Challenge commences.

Interesting times in the USA indeed. Not to mention Australia. Following the relentless, nightly reporting of the rape allegations against Kavanaugh, the story that his accuser has admitted totally fabricating the allgations to destroy his chances of being confirmed to the Supreme Court goes largely unreported here. Unbelievable. (I don’t necessarily support his politics but feel sickened about what he and his family have been put through).

Cinque, I’ll be with you tomorrow. Good luck with the business plan. That editor must be top notch to find any problems in your writing. You are one of the best punctuators I know. Excessive exclamation marks notwithstanding. I love reading your error-free posts. It is so hard to notice one’s own mistakes. I published a book a couple of decades ago and, despite hiring a professional editor and scrutinising it several times myself, it still contained one error. It killed me to spot it after going to print.

Intesha, you’re asking yourself why you keep doing FDs at this stage? Take a look in the mirror! You have encapsulated the horror of dementia in one graphic sentence. I’m sure it’s very distressing for you and your Dad to witness that behaviour. What devotion he shows to drive there every single day. And he’s still driving! I bet her level of care is all the better because of the frequent family involvement though. When you embark on the mass cookie baking/decorating for Christmas gifts, do they get frozen when complete?

Quacka, 600gm down is nothing to be sneezed at. Well done! My loss with 5:2 was a steady 500gm per week. One or two plateaus along the way – usually of my own making such as during the Christmas season.

LJ, have fun with your rellies. I love haloumi but couldn’t factor it into a FD.

Having a break before I break. My back is killing me even though I try to sit as much as possible I think it is the constant bending over. Thin once the biscuits are complete I heat seal them and they can keep in the fridge for 3 months or more. So far I have used 4 kg of icing sugar 😱😱.

It is an expensive hobby. All the equipment needed has cost me an arm and a leg. If it wasn’t for my Dad’s help I would not be able to do it. It gives me pleasure to see the end result and I am very protective about giving them away.

Quaka I amaze myself at times and wonder why I put so much pressure on myself to perfect them but it keeps me occupied.

Lindsay hope all is well. Hello CalifD. Hope whoever is following the Melbourne Cup is having a good day.

https://imgur.com/a/DYDcf6F

This is my kitchen at the moment 😳

Very quiet on here. Everyone must have celebrated the cup. This year I didn’t have a bet and didnt even watch the race. Any one have a win?

This is today’s effort. The colour looks really dark but it is a Turquoise. Darker than the ones I did in class but I was a bit heavy handed adding the colour.

https://imgur.com/a/Z8uqETg

How do you make the decoration on the last photo, Intesha? Can you not raise the height of your work surface (by doing the decorating elsewhere) so as to protect your back?

I didn’t participate in any MC activities for the reasons already stated. The first thing out of DD’s mouth when she came home was that a horse died. I was busy all day though and, when I nipped out to the P.O., it was fabulously quiet everywhere. Our local deli (nicknamed ‘the robbers’ by locals) had a lot of sample food out and no customers around. I grazed my way round the whole store – various cheeses, followed by stone fruit in the next aisle and, finally, some sample sweet treats on the way out. I only bought $4 worth of apples and I felt as if I’d had lunch by the time I left! Hope everyone’s had a good day, fasting or not, betting or not, grazing or not. Especially you Anzac & Quacka! And Mr & Mrs L.

Good morning everyone

It is a lovely morning after a very warm night followed by a 5am thunderstorm with a gorgeous light show.

Feeling so much better today even though I have had a terrible nights sleep again. Had a kind of mini FD yesterday as I didn’t eat all day and then had a nice dinner. I made a peach, prosciutto and feta salad with baby spinach. The recipe said to use rocket but I didn’t have any. Of course I modified the recipe but it was basically the same.

Today is FD. I will be very busy at work so I will be going in early (actually very soon). I will try and check in during the day anyway.

Intesha, they are truly awesome biscuits. I can understand why your back is hurting! thin’s idea of raising the height of your work surface would help, i’m sure.

Thank you thin, for your wishes for a good day yesterday. My friend and I went to the supermarket at lunch time and she bought one of our favourite dips and crackers. She was disappointed that we weren’t having the platter. Thankfully she didn’t open the dip but I feel I would have been able to resist anyway as I was quite strong minded yesterday. I feel the same today.

Thanks also ladies, for your lovely comments about my weight loss. I’m hoping to be down a bit more today but haven’t weighed yet.

Thinking of you Lindsay. Glad It’s not all down times and you can still have a laugh with your OH.

Well I better go get ready for work. Have a great day all x

Day after fast day 68.7. Get a bit despondent the weight is not going down but at least it is steady.

Thin it is called cake lace. It is made with a special mixture and then smoothed onto cake lace mats which come in various styles. Cooked at a very low temperature and gives a whole new look to cakes and biscuits. Very delicate to work with.

Here is my first attempt with cookies I made for my Mum’s birthday. Also cookies I made to go with grandsons Lightening McQueen cake.

https://imgur.com/a/as4RI1f

Pilates this morning and then more cookie decorating.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning,
    Wednesday Fast Day for me. Looking forward to it.

Quacka, it sounds like you missed the full on tummy bug. Yay! But good luck getting back to some good sleeps.

Oh dear I feel for your poor back Intesha, clearing up after all that icing work. But how pleased you must feel every time you look at them! Exquisite is still the best word. I love all the colours!
    Pilates will help if your back is still sore this morning!

Lindsay, I do hope it was a useful appointment yesterday.

I watched the Diet Testers!
    I liked this weeks one so much better than the placenta tablet one. I think partly because there was finally someone who didn’t fall off the wagon, and she lost the most weight and looked fabulous.

I was interested in the two diets that were meant to reset your hunger signals, but I didn’t quite believe them!
    Strangely, the Champagne diet is closest to my philosophy ie: quality over quantity, but oops, the poor participant couldn’t make it work.

It just strikes me more and more that the diet type is just a hook that people can concentrate on while they eat less calories, and the more extreme the hook, the shorter the duration, so all the 2 week diets are the silliest.
    (I do like that they allow the participants to be honest and that breaking out of a diet is common – just wish a few more of them could actually do what they undertake so we can see the results!)

But Lindsay. Cake mix. You are talking to someone who had to wait her turn among two brothers and four sisters, to get to scrape the cake bowl! And when we went up to stay with Auntie Edie at Yarrawonga (like that place name Cali?), she let us make twice the cake recipe and eat half of it raw! Oooh best treat!
    However, I am talking years ago, and beautiful home made cakes, and never more than a few spoonfuls, so I am not quite at the stage of the man on the show.

Just off to make a cup of tea and I’ll be back for another post!

Wednesday, 7.30 am. and it’s still hot hot in Brisbane but with cooler weather coming tomorrow. Bring it on! I’m having my first killer coffee of the day, and before I make a second I wanted to post with the very good news that there’s been a marginal improvement in OH’s healing. The surgeon yesterday said he saw ‘definite improvement, although slight’, before discussing the surgery option. He was very kind and gentle – my OH pointed out that he may be the one without sight, but I’m the one who’s carrying the load – to which the surgeon responded, ‘that’s why I am asking both of you’. How can doing a bit extra even begin to equate with being without sight. The surgeon discussed the surgery risks, and how now that he can see natural healing beginning, it would take longer, but should continue. We won’t know how much sight my OH will have, but it is a little, so that’s a positive. It was always going to be my OH’s decision, and he has opted to wait for our next appointment next Tuesday, and the surgeon will re-evaluate then. Good news. I feel like an elephant just got off my chest and I can breathe again. So today is a FD, and I feel like I can now get back on the horse, to quote Merry.
    Thin we had lots of things planned for my birthday – including a week in Melbourne, special dinner and weekend away with our kids and their kids. We will probably still go away with the kids, but the rest can wait. A birthday celebration is hardly important in the scheme of things. ..time for that later.
    Cinque my 3 brothers and I used to jostle for the cake beaters and bowl, but a mouthful was usually all we got. Your Auntie Edie sounds like the auntie every child should have … and I bet she never made a packet cake in her life.
    Intesha those biscuits look exquisite. Too too beautiful to eat. Do you use a hot water bottle when your back is bad? I do, every morning, no matter the weather, to ease a chronic back injury, and it really helps.
    Quacka, peach, prosciutto, feta and rocket sounds like a fabulous salad – would it work with mango, do you think? (no peaches here yet).
    LJ that dinner also sounds delicious – haloumi has such a great flavour. My little Mr 4 calls it the squeaky cheese.
    Good day all.

Chapter 2

Lovely fresh Wednesday morning in Melbourne with a very happy garden, everything doubled in size yesterday!

Lindsay, I also wanted to say how glad I am that you have a couple of dear brothers close again. That is so precious.

And I am also listening for the news of the US midterms. What times we are living through!

Thin, it is horrifying to read that one of the women who accused Kavanagh fabricated her story. So awful for him and his family, for politics, and so terrible for those brave women who were speaking up, about him, but also in general. As if it isn’t hard enough to be believed without someone lying about it for political ends.

I know several people absolutely enthralled by The Americans series, as much by what it says about families as by the espionage story.

The Business Plan meeting went very well. Thankyou so much for your compliment about my writing. I do such a lot of editing, woe betide you poor readers if I didn’t get a chance to read through and fix things up before posting. But it is amazing how many words, phrases and sentences we were able to cut out to make it even better, and I am hoping you will find more! (There will always be one left over!)

What was your book? A tale of your wonderful travels? Dingo dog training?

LJoyce, Your meal sounds so wonderful. I have only just got into haloumi. I tried it and it reminded me of the little blup of milk a baby regurgitates after a big breast feed (don’t ask me how I think I know what that tastes like!) and fried. I wasn’t sure if I wanted more.
    But then I made a big chicken salad and adding pan fried pieces of haloumi just set it off perfectly. I plan to have a summer full of such salads!

I do hope you got everything done and had a great evening, and that now you are having the pleasure of a leisurely breakfast with your sister.

Quacka I realise your dreadful sleep was probably to do with the heat and humidity. I do hope the thunderstorm cooled everything down and that tonight will be great for sleeping.

What a yummy salad. Baby spinach would be excellent instead of rocket. Enjoy a good strong day today!

And yes Lindsay, Good to hear to hear of the laughs you and Mr L are having.
    It is so easy to take a whinge out of context, but it is important to hear each others whinges too!

Well, I think I have probably filled up an entire page with this mornings posts. It is 9:16 am and I am hoping that Fast Day = Productive Day. I am off to give it a go.

Lots of good wishes to everyone.

8:30am, Wens, Adelaide

A quick post as I have to catch a train to the city soon for a dental appointment and then I catch up with ex-work colleagues for lunch. I think we are doing Lebanese today. My sister and BIL have just left, they want to go to the wholesale fish monger before their medical appointments.

Intesha, I particularly like the teal coloured biscuits that have the patterned background. I have never seen that icing effect before.

Quacka, glad to hear you are feeling better, I hope you get your sleep pattern sorted soon.

Lindsay, really glad to hear that hour husband is making progress, even if it’s slow. We will keep wishing for that to continue.
    I am glad I don’t have to deal with crocodiles. Down here the only risks are snakes and red back spiders – that quite enough for me.

Cinque, I this the champagne diet comes from “French Women Don’t Get Fat”, which I found to be a very useful read. I really focuses on looking at food as being about quality fresh produce, not huge serves of junk food, and meals as an event to to be shared with friends and family.

Thin, I had lots of appointments yesterday afternoon too and it was quiet in businesses and on the roads.

I had an appointment with the dietitian yesterday and I discussed my reaction to wanting to get my weight down by a couple of kilos before December – my desire to eat actually increased. She suggested I don’t focus on food or trying to restrict it, but try to build a bit more regular movement into my days. It’s sensible advice for me as it keeps me mentally in maintenance mode, which I deal with better than diet mode. But as the weather gets warmer and most things I can think to do involve being outside, I’m going to have to give it some thought. Something that helped, is that we discussed how much progress I’ve made with breaking long-held eating patterns. She also said that this time last year I was heavier and stressing about gaining more in December. This year I’m a couple of kilos lighter and am not as stressed. It helped to focus on what is working rather than what isn’t – helped with my confidence.

Have a good day everyone, good luck to the fasters.

Oops no, I am not finished! Two excellent posts.

Lindsay woot! woot! I am so glad. I am going to light my best candle just to celebrate. But I’ll add in good wishes for even more sight regained than you will let yourselves hope for.

It is even more exciting than the crocodile story!

And LJoyce, no leisurely breakfast! Aha about where the champagne diet comes from. What excellent advice from your dietitian, and such a wonderful reminder of what a great year you have had to be successfully moved, a couple of kilos lighter and less stressed, even with Christmas in view. And picking zucchinis!

I’m off to get my killer coffee too. Cheers now.

Cinque, you’re in fine form this morning. Sorry I can’t reveal my book without blowing my cover. It’s non-fiction but you’re on the right track, it is travel related. CalifD has probably already come across it as it can still be found on the US Amazon site.

Quacka, long may your positive outlook and strength continue!

Anzac, where are you?

LJ, you could have saved yourself a trip to the dietician as I told you all that recently! Seriously, how nice to have it all affirmed by a professional that you trust. You have come a very long way.

Lindsay, what great news to get that glimmer of hope for Mr L.. Fun about the crocodile in the pool. Can you ship him over to our neighbour’s pool? How is the noise situation in your neck of the woods? I hope you find something special to do this weekend.

Intesha, great photos. I can now imagine that lace decorative method employing some kind of mould into which a super thin layer of icing is spread, levelled off carefully and somehow, lifted out without breaking. Am I right? I’m totally challenged when it comes to baking.

The way you (and others wanting to lose more) describe 5:2 and its relation to your weight sounds like ‘maintenance speak’. Most of us at maintenance weight use the FDs to allow for occasional indulgences on the other 5. For some it’s a restaurant meal, the odd glass of wine or some normally forbidden sweet treat. For others, it’s just exceeding our TDEE with grazing.

For those wanting to continue to lose weight or lamenting slow progress, it might be useful to work out the TDEE of the weight you want to be and make sure this isn’t exceeded on NFDs. We have to learn to eat for the weight we want to be. In weight loss, we can have whatever we want on NFDs but not necessarily as much as we want. No-one likes counting calories but it is useful to know what we’re doing on NFDs.

Not that I am following my own advice. For me, and some others already at maintenance, we are questioning why we still require 5:2 just to maintain our ideal weight. We can’t seem to sustain a 6:1 regime long-term without starting to gain weight – for exactly the same reasons described above.

FD for me and OH found me a huge Savoy cabbage so it’s miso soup and some shiitake mushrooms for dinner. Have a great day all.

P.S. Cinque, I have sent you a link to my book on the Amazon website, FYI.

Lindsay so glad that things are looking a little more positive for your OH.

LJoyce as I said the colour was supposed to be a whole lot lighter. To the turquoise colour a little bit of eucalyptus was to be added but I put in too much 😒😒

Thin it is actually a special mixture that you buy either made up make yourself from a powdered form. I do it myself. Now that I have the hang of it I’m hooked. Next is try colouring it.

I do use my kitchen bench for some of the work with a bar stool but the intricate work I need to sit down. I’ve always had back problems which stems from helping my ex when we had our upholstery business. Lifting etc. I know it’s all in the mind but since being told I have osteo I seem to notice it more.

Anyway nice steady rain here. Have heat sealed the cookies from yesterday so will do another batch now.

Are the ones in the individual plastic bags those that have been through the heat sealing process? I’m in awe. I can’t even bake a cookie. Not that I’ve ever tried. (Fortunate really because I’d definitely be eating them all). It’s lovely that you have this outlet, Intesha. It would be such a conflict of interest for me. I’d have to try something artistic that I couldn’t stuff in my mouth – sand art, perhaps?

An upholstery business? That sounds interesting. I do wish we could all get together one day. Well, it would have to be a whole weekend at least!

P.S. Cinque, while out walking I realised that I’d hadn’t commented on what you said about the lying woman’s actions destroying the credibility of women who are having trouble with their stories being believed – interestingly, this was my OH’s first comment too.

OK, less chit chat and on with the downsizing ……. how I love gumtree and the people I meet through it!

Cinque those magic candles are so so powerful – and we thank you for them. xx
    Thin I would happily ship a croc to you if it would quieten your neighbours. My noisy boys are still noisy….nothing like getting home to a string of bad language from their potty mouths. They have quietened down at night, probably temporarily, since the last complaint to the agent. Now of course Qld is looking at introducing new tenancy laws that will make it harder to move on bad tenants, will give them rights to keep pets (oh yes, a dog for each of the six tenants will make life just perfect), and so on. Oh Thin, now you’ve got me started….
    Just had my first meal of the day …. 75 grams of roast beef, celery, capsicum and some cherry tomatoes. Fish and veges for dinner, and a square of Lindt. So good to be back in the zone.
    So many things to kill us LJ, here in Australia. red bellied blacks, redback spiders, crocs. Good thing we’re all slimmer and can run faster.

And just while on the subject of salads and haloumi…….a chopped watermelon, grilled haloumi and basil salad is one of the greats – so fresh, so healthy. I also use mint sometimes instead of basil. Equally good.

Hi everyone, I have been AWOL and missed you all terribly 🙂

We had a fantastic day at the races in Sydney yesterday. It’s an annual event with my closest friends; we all take the day off work and either go somewhere nice for lunch or go to the actual races in Randwick. We ate and drank too much, had a few wins and a few losses but such a great time. I’m thankfully able to work from home today so I could have a nice sleep in. It was extra nice because Mr Mad Maxx the puppy was in the kennels overnight as we don’t like to leave him alone all day. So we didn’t have our usual little furry wake-up call at 5.30am and we actually slept for 10 hours! I feel amazing despite too many champagnes yesterday. We did miss him though and it’s nice to have him home. OH went and picked him up and when he got to the back door and saw me in the kitchen he nearly launched himself through the screen door! He bounced around the house for a while and kept running back and nuzzling us then running off again in sheer happiness.

Today I am having a very low-cal NFD and will have my FD tomorrow and hopefully the day of excess yesterday won’t have too much impact on the scales. I actually weighed the same this morning but I know my body and it will catch up with me tomorrow.

I’m very glad it was yesterday and not today. Yesterday was very hot and humid but we were inside thankfully. We arrived before the gates opened and then my wonderful OH sprinted up the escalators, out-running men half his age, and secured a table upstairs right near the window so we had a great view and air-conditioning. But today it is raining very heavily so it would have been a nightmare as everyone would have crammed inside. Lucky.

Thanks for your commiserations about my car. OH went and got some quotes today and it’s not quite as bad as we thought. The first guy wanted $2,800 but the next one said $2,000 or $1,500 for cash. We’re taking the $1,500 of course. It’s still not good but we thought it would be more than double that.

Wow Intesha, your baking and decorating is incredible. I wanted to crawl through my screen and taste one!

Lindsay I was so happy to hear there has been some improvement, even if small. It means the healing process is underway and I hope your OH can avoid more surgery if possible.

Thin, thanks for asking after me in my absence. It is so nice the realise that you are missed – just like I missed you all yesterday and most of today. That is very good advice about checking your TDEE and tracking what you eat when things aren’t going well. It is exactly what I did 2 weeks ago and it made me realise that I was still mindlessly grazing and exceeding my TDEE too often on NFDs and once I stopped that I saw much better results. I’m still tracking what I eat every weekday on a spreadsheet – so 3 NFD’s and my two FD’s and then relaxing more on the weekend and not tracking. It has helped enormously.

How exciting that you wrote a book! I always wanted to and in fact through my whole school years I was only ever going to be a writer/journalist. I received a few awards for creative writing and did very well in English. But then life happened and I ended up in Banking at age 17 and eventually moved into project work and am now in banking technology. That is so ironic as I remember a conversation with my long-suffering maths teach who was very determined that I would pass (I was HOPELESS at maths) and he was tutoring me in the lunch break and I said to him ‘why do I need maths? It’s not like I’m ever going to work in a bank’. HA HA. I don’t regret anything but I do still want to write a book one day. I live for reading – my OH says I inhale books rather than reading them. Anyway you have inspired me to look into it all again soon.

I too wish we could all get together one day but we are pretty well scattered both across the country and all the way to America.

I’m so sorry to hear about your sleeplessness Quacka, I hope tonight is cooler with all this rain and you can get a good nights’ sleep. 600g is a great loss

Cinque, glad your business plan meeting went well. Are we allowed to know what sort of business you are considering? If it’s a surprise that’s fine but I thought perhaps because I’m new I don’t know about it and the others might. I loved your comment about the cake mix too – I could just picture the 7 of you lining up for your turn. I have one sister who is 8 years older so I don’t know what it would be like to have such a big family. Wonderful I’m sure 🙂

LJ what a wonderful conversation and outcome from your trip to the dietician. And what a great and successful year you have had. I loved reading that it is better to focus on what IS working rather than what isn’t and it has helped with your confidence. That is what I’m looking forward to the most. I put my dress on yesterday for the races and was so unhappy with how I looked but I firmly told myself it will be very different next year and just go and enjoy myself.

The trip to the Op shop sounds like fun Cali and it’s always nice to have a clear out. I’m looking forward to taking all my big clothes to one when I lose the weight. Wow, I just typed ‘when’ and not ‘if’ without even thinking. That is a huge turnaround for me. Interesting. It’s because of you all and your incredible support and tales of success :):):)

Hi everyone, I have been AWOL so have had a lovely time catching up with your news. I missed you all terribly 🙂

We had a fantastic day at the races in Sydney yesterday. It’s an annual event with my closest friends; we all take the day off work and either go somewhere nice for lunch or go to the actual races in Randwick. We ate and drank too much, had a few wins and a few losses but such a great time. I’m thankfully able to work from home today so I could have a nice sleep in. It was extra nice because Mr Mad Maxx the puppy was in the kennels overnight as we don’t like to leave him alone all day. So we didn’t have our usual little furry wake-up call at 5.30am and we actually slept for 10 hours! I feel amazing despite too many champagnes yesterday. We did miss him though and it’s nice to have him home. OH went and picked him up and when he got to the back door and saw me in the kitchen he nearly launched himself through the screen door! He bounced around the house for a while and kept running back and nuzzling us then running off again in sheer happiness.

Today I am having a very low-cal NFD and will have my FD tomorrow and hopefully the day of excess yesterday won’t have too much impact on the scales. I actually weighed the same this morning but I know my body and it will catch up with me tomorrow.

I’m very glad it was yesterday and not today. Yesterday was very hot and humid but we were inside thankfully. We arrived before the gates opened and then my wonderful OH sprinted up the escalators, out-running men half his age, and secured a table upstairs right near the window so we had a great view and air-conditioning. But today it is raining very heavily so it would have been a nightmare as everyone would have crammed inside. Lucky.

Thanks for your commiserations about my car. OH went and got some quotes today and it’s not quite as bad as we thought. The first guy wanted $2,800 but the next one said $2,000 or $1,500 for cash. We’re taking the $1,500 of course. It’s still not good but we thought it would be more than double that.

Wow Intesha, your baking and decorating is incredible. I wanted to crawl through my screen and taste one!

Lindsay I was so happy to hear there has been some improvement, even if small. It means the healing process is underway and I hope your OH can avoid more surgery if possible.

Thin, thanks for asking after me in my absence. It is so nice the realise that you are missed – just like I missed you all yesterday and most of today. That is very good advice about checking your TDEE and tracking what you eat when things aren’t going well. It is exactly what I did 2 weeks ago and it made me realise that I was still mindlessly grazing and exceeding my TDEE too often on NFDs and once I stopped that I saw much better results. I’m still tracking what I eat every weekday on a spreadsheet – so 3 NFD’s and my two FD’s and then relaxing more on the weekend and not tracking. It has helped enormously.

How exciting that you wrote a book! I always wanted to and in fact through my whole school years I was only ever going to be a writer/journalist. I received a few awards for creative writing and did very well in English. But then life happened and I ended up in Banking at age 17 and eventually moved into project work and am now in banking technology. That is so ironic as I remember a conversation with my long-suffering maths teach who was very determined that I would pass (I was HOPELESS at maths) and he was tutoring me in the lunch break and I said to him ‘why do I need maths? It’s not like I’m ever going to work in a bank’. HA HA. I don’t regret anything but I do still want to write a book one day. I live for reading – my OH says I inhale books rather than reading them. Anyway you have inspired me to look into it all again soon.

I too wish we could all get together one day but we are pretty well scattered both across the country and all the way to America.

I’m so sorry to hear about your sleeplessness Quacka, I hope tonight is cooler with all this rain and you can get a good nights’ sleep. 600g is a great loss

Cinque, glad your business plan meeting went well. Are we allowed to know what sort of business you are considering? If it’s a surprise that’s fine but I thought perhaps because I’m new I don’t know about it and the others might. I loved your comment about the cake mix too – I could just picture the 7 of you lining up for your turn. I have one sister who is 8 years older so I don’t know what it would be like to have such a big family. Wonderful I’m sure 🙂

LJ what a wonderful conversation and outcome from your trip to the dietician. And what a great and successful year you have had. I loved reading that it is better to focus on what IS working rather than what isn’t and it has helped with your confidence. That is what I’m looking forward to the most. I put my dress on yesterday for the races and was so unhappy with how I looked but I firmly told myself it will be very different next year and just go and enjoy myself.

The trip to the Op shop sounds like fun Cali and it’s always nice to have a clear out. I’m looking forward to taking all my big clothes to one when I lose the weight. Wow, I just typed ‘when’ and not ‘if’ without even thinking. That is a huge turnaround for me. Interesting. It’s because of you all and your incredible support and tales of success

3:30pm, Wens, Adelaide

I got bit damp getting home from the city.
    But lunch with my ex-work colleagues was delicious. I had a lamb pide. They look like this: http://www.ediblecommunities.com/recipes/turkish-flatbread-spinach-pide
    The lamb was very nice but I’ve decided next time we go there I’m ordering the spinach & feta version – I think that’s the most traditional filling.

Anzac, I’m so glad you had a lovely day at the races. Your dress will not only look good next year, I predict it will be too big! Nice to be missed by your fur baby.
    I also have just one sister who is 7 1/2 years older than me. There still wasn’t much bowl licking happening though, as my mum used to scrape it all into the cake tin so the bowl was pretty much bare.

Lindsay, Even without the added kilos, with an artificial knee I have a rather weird and rather slow running action. I’m just hoping I encounter less wildlife down here. There were plenty of redbacks hiding in my garden shed when I lived in the hills, but I haven’t seen any here.

Thin, I think I sometimes just have to be hit over the head with a message a few times before it sinks in. I do agree about 6:1 not being enough, not for me anyway. I’m too attached to the leeway those 2 FDs gives me for the rest of the NFD week. I know from past experience that without 5:2 I have to monitor every day’s food – that gets annoying and depressing as you feel like you are on a diet forever. In maintenance 5:2 helps me feel normal.

Cinque, I think the “French Women Don’t Get Fat” book is particularly helpful for maintenance as it’s more about a healthy attitude. I can’t see it working so well for rapid weight loss.

Intesha, I hadn’t heard of the lace moulds before. I learned cake decorating 30 years ago (and decorated my own wedding cake). I remember making many sheets of hand-piped lace sections with royal icing. Then tried to transfer and “glue” them to the cake without it shattering. I always found I needed at least a 1/3 more to cover the breakages.

As soon as I got home from the city I quickly got a chocolate cake into the oven. It’s now cooling. Once iced I’ll take it down to my niece’s daughter – she has just broken up with her boyfriend. As he was her first and only boyfriend and they’d been together for 5 years (since she was 13) it’s really left her shattered. I know cake is probably not the answer, but it is her favourite.

Although I scraped all the mixture into the cake tin – nothing left to lick, I then proceeded to make a pot of tea and ate 4 home made biscuits with it! After my generous lunch my jeans feel tight now!

I have a few more zucchini ready to pick, so I’m thinking I’ll team them with the spinach (which is annoying already going to seed) for tomorrow night’s FD dinner – probably with eggs.

Gloucester NSW
    (7.45pm Wednesday)

Hi everyone. First real FD today, for November, and it’s gone really well – nearly had biscuits with morning tea coffee, remembered FD, so put them back in the tin. Had miso soup and water to keep hydrated. Had evening meal then OH just offered a Magnum icecream and I refused! – today’s a success!!! Feels good. So glad to have my mojo back – it means so much.

Hoping all others who may have recently struggled, get to feel good again real soon – thinking of you all and wishing you well!
    Enjoying everyone’s posts. So nice to know we are all happy to help each other in this WOL, and share our experiences – thank you all!

So sorry, no time tonight to respond to any posts – maybe on the weekend!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now xx

Yes Thin a real biscuit factory when I get going. Have a heat sealer and proper food grade bags.

LJoyce my Mum did cake decorating and made my wedding cake and she used to do all the intricate things the same as you probably did. I guess everything is about speed and convenience now with all the moulds and premade things available. I have been trying to learn different techniques and doing things by hand but it is time consuming. Still it has brought out a whole new creative side for me.

Didn’t spend a lot of time on cookies today what with gym, some shopping and housework time gets away and then tomorrow gym again in the morning then grandparents day at the school. They live 50km away but luckily it’s straight down the freeway at 110km per hour it only takes me 30mins 😬.

Here are today’s finished cookies.

https://imgur.com/a/IH9UMHj

Goodnight all.

Thin, I hadn’t come across your book before because I didn’t realize you had written one but I just ordered a copy. 😊.
    The TV show The Americans is streaming on Amazon Prime, not Netflix. I see that Amazon Prime is available in Aus, but I can’t see if that show is included. It may be like Netflix where the shows are sometimes different. They have a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime. There is a Prime original series called a Jack Ryan that’s excellent and only 8 episodes. https://www.amazon.com.au/prime You can probably see more of what’s offered on the Aus site. The Americans is 6 seasons of about 13 episodes each.

Lindsay, I’m glad to hear that OH is having some improvement with his vision. It sounds like the decision on more surgery doesn’t have to be made just yet. Since the healing is helping, it sounds like waiting might be a good thing for now. I hope things continue to improve.

Intesha, those cookies are exquisite. Such patience you have to do the intricate decorating! I showed your photos to OH and DS and they both asked if there was a way to preserve them and frame them or something. It would be hard to eat anything so beautiful.

LJ, so sad that your niece’s daughter broke up with her boyfriend of 5 years. At her age that must be devastating. I’m sure your cake will be very much appreciated.

I fell asleep on the sofa, watching the election returns tonight. I’m happy that the Democrats won back the House. Wish they would have gotten a majority in the Senate too. Election results are still coming in. This country is so deeply divided on politics these days and it only seems to be getting worse. That isn’t a good thing.

Anzac, the races in Sydney sound like fun. I had to smile hearing about Maxx coming home from the kennel and being so happy to see you. Dog’s are so funny that way. Half an hour must seem like an eternity to them when we go off to shop, judging by how happy they are when we return.

Hope everyone is having a good morning. I hope I can sleep in late after falling asleep and then being awake for 3 hours.

Good morning, the rain has gone after drizzling all day and all night yesterday and blue skies are back. Cool though, only getting to 20 here in Sydney today

FD for me, the first in 8 days due to Melbourne Cup interruptions. It’s only 8.15 and I am very hungry but determined to get through it. Will make a nice coffee after posting and am drinking lots of water.

Hope you had a sleep-in Cali and hope your Grandparents day goes well Intesha. More gorgeous looking cookies and I’m glad they aren’t here in front of me as I wouldn’t be able to resist 🙂

Anyway will be checking in loads to ensure I stick to my FD today. I have a nice salad with a tiny bit of lean sirloin and a drizzle of thai dressing for lunch. Then my go-to FD spicy mince and veges in lettuce cups for dinner. Must remember this is the last one from the freezer and make up another batch for the next couple of weeks.

Glad your FD went well Arelkade and well done putting the biscuits back. I just stood and stared at the two biscuit barrels here at work and managed to walk away too despite my tummy rumbling. But my enormous EFS on Tuesday has of course shown up on the scales so I have to have a very good FD followed by sensible NFD’s through the weekend.

LJ – my dress will definitely be too big next year so I will be getting a new one! I did have another dress in mind to wear, one that I bought for my nieces wedding in December 2017. But when I put it on it was way too big as I have lost about 9 kilos since then (that was my biggest). So I had to wear an older dress as I didn’t want to buy a new one now when I am losing weight. Funny that we both have one sister approx. the same number of years older. My sister went off to college when I was about 11 and then married when I was 13 so I often felt like an only child. I had lots of friends in the street where I lived so I wasn’t lonely luckily.

Have a great day all

Hi Cali,
    I hope you get some good sleep tonight. I popped up an article on the science thread about lack of sleep dehydrating us. No wonder I need about 4 litres a day!

Interesting times in your country, and for the rest of the world in consequence. Great to see the diversity of people who got elected.

In my last post, the two excellent posts I mentioned were the ones that came through while I was writing. (It rather sounded as if I was congratulating myself).

Thin, I like what you wrote about maintenance.
    My two fast days keep me in line while I sort out healthy eating on the other days. I would like to think that I will sort it out, but thanks 5:2, it doesn’t matter if I don’t.
    And maintenance allows my old, weight ravaged body, to keep recovering, which is another bonus.
    And because I need to be careful and mindful to eat well on a NFD it is quite an exercise, and makes Fast Days feel like a holiday. (Fast day: cuppas, some with milk, through the day, and miso and vegetable soup in the evening. Easy.)

Lindsay, so glad you are back in the zone. Hopefully everything will be easier now.
    Ooh another haloumi dish to try. I can sneak in a bit of watermelon under my ‘no fruit’ rule.

Anzac, so glad you had such a wonderful time AND a great sleep when you got home! I do hope you start writing your book soon!

I am VERY happy to talk about my business (I have to sit on my hands a bit not to talk about it more!).
    The idea is: If we want people to eat well, let’s make it easy for them.
    We want to set up a not-for-profit cafe-restaurant that sells yummy, healthy, affordable meals. Actually, a system of cafes (we want to be as big as Maccas), but we are concentrating on the first one. I can say ‘we’ because I do have people helping. I’ve spent all year trying to write a business plan, gradually reaslising that none of the templates suit us, and the main focus for the plan is to communicate the concept and show that we have thought it through and can make it work. This is our website http://www.yamdaisy.com/
    Once I have got to the next draft of the plan I will be looking for people to read it and give feedback. Hint hint.

My big family (equal parts wonderful and dreadful)! One cake a week, taking turns. One bowl, one spoon, and my mum was as good as yours at scraping it clean!

Good Morning all

Day after FD for me. After my ‘feeling strong’ talk yesterday morning it all went down hill from there. I went to work early and got most of my work done. During this time I started to feel very nauseous again and almost brought up my cup of tea. I ended up going home about 10am.
    I was worried about doing this as I know I am not good at doing FD at home. I usually get bored and just ‘have’ to eat something. Well, yesterday was different. I drank lots of water, a couple of cups of tea and some plain mineral water and managed to get through my FD with no stress at all really. OH came home early due to the rain and made his lunch and I was still fine. Late in the afternoon he had a beer and I didn’t even feel like one at all. No self control needed yesterday!
    Maybe that’s the key – I just need to go around finding who has a tummy bug that I can pick up a touch of 😉 No way!!

Weight this morning down another 600g, now to keep it off.
    Tried to eat some very plain breakfast this morning and my tummy was not happy about it. Maybe I will just have some miso at lunch and see how I go.

Lindsay I am happy to hear some good news for you and Mr L. Hopefully his healing continues x

Hope everyone on a FD has a nice easy one, especially you Anzac. You can do this! Get out your FD mantras and keep them close by. Picture yourself in some lovely new clothes very soon 🙂 🙂 I am thinking of you.

Hope everyone else is doing well too. I have to to do some work now.

Oh, by the way, I had a lovely night’s sleep last night thanks to all your good wishes ladies x

Oh good grief it is 9am already and another post through (Good morning Anzac! 🙂 ) but I had to get a coffee and keep writing (if you all didn’t have such interesting things to say, I would write less, truly!)

LJoyce,
    I do hope your niece loved the cake and the comfort. So much growing up she has done in tandem with someone who she has now broken up with. Good wishes to her.

You are right that the ‘French Women Don’t Get Fat’ philosophy isn’t a silly crash diet hook. (but so many of the ones they use for the ‘two week’ participants are). Hmm, that might be what went wrong.

Arelkade, someone else getting their mojo back. I’m so glad. I do hope you had a really good Fast Day and feel great this morning. Catch you on the weekend!

Intesha, I hope you have wonderful grandparents day at the kids school. What fun.
    There is no end to your wonderful cookies! Excellent.

Anzac, all power to you sticking to your Fast Day today. You will feel so good tomorrow morning.

Quacka, I have just seen your post. Hmm, maybe just take a lesson from yesterday and ACT as if you had a tummy bug next Fast Day!
    No eating tape worms or raw chicken. Ok?
    Hooray for a good night’s sleep, and I hope you start feeling well soon.

Best wishes everyone.

Reporting 59.3kg on a sunny, frothy coffee Thursday.

Lindsay, good to know that the potty mouths have settled down somewhat. Constant pressure on the agent to make them accountable seems a good ploy. Yes, so many things to kill us in Australia – Billy Connolly once said it was a wonder that any Australian child ever made it to adulthood, even the jellyfish came gift wrapped (box jellyfish).

Anzac, your weekday records are a great idea of monitoring what’s consumed. Teachers can have such lasting effects on us. I corresponded with my high school maths teacher (I was useless at maths but she supported the teenage me in many other ways) until her death at age 93. She even came to visit me in California. But it was my geography teacher who provided such inspiration. Miss Symons, when not zipping about in her red convertible sports car, would travel the world during school holidays, returning with the most amazing slides to enhance her fascinating lessons.

So I hope you take the plunge and write that book. I’m definitely no creative writer, mine was quite dry and formal. Did you know that, in Australia, a ‘best-seller’ means only having to sell 3000 copies? It’s an interesting process. Go for it!

CalifD, I’m a little embarrassed now. I didn’t mention Amazon so that you’d buy a copy! Hopefully it’s a second hand cheapo copy as it’s completely dated now. Thanks for the info on, ‘The Americans’. No wonder I couldn’t find it.

LJ, thanks for what you wrote about why we continue with 5:2 after reaching goal weight. I found that helpful. I don’t remember anyone baking cakes or licking bowls when I was a child as my mother left us when I was 9. This is probably why I’ve never been a baker or been able to pass any culinary skills down to my own DD. Out of necessity, I could manage a traditional Sunday roast by age 10 though. I’m not sorry that I don’t bake because I definitely don’t need the temptation but I think this is why the whole concept of equating providing food with love is lost on me. For me, providing meals is just another household chore – although I’ve always made the effort to serve healthy, home-cooked and nutritious meals.

Arel, we’ll have to give Mr. KD a talking to for offering you a Magnum on a FD. I have my OFMs trained not to indulge on my FDs, let alone offer me anything along those lines.

My downsizing efforts yesterday have resulted in a host of gumtree people coming to collect things this afternoon which, if they all show up, will net us a nice $820. But the main motivation is de-cluttering. It feels so liberating to own less stuff.

Have a great day all – and any additional excellent posters who’ve visited while I’ve been writing.

P.S. Hello Quacka, another 600gm off, yay! Cinque, another excellent post from you! Wow, a Yam Daisy Chain! Intesha, great reindeer cookies. That’s it from me.

9am, Thurs, Adelaide

Arel, if you are turning down biscuits and magnums, I’d say you are definitely back into the swing of your FDs.

Anzac – looks like that “only child” feeling is something we have in common too. My sister married when I was 12, so I spent most of my teenage years feeling like an only child too. We lived in a rural area and without other children nearby I was very much left to my own devices (it encouraged my love of books). I think it’s one of the reasons I’ve coped so well living alone for last 2 decades.
    Did you end up being a very young aunt too? My niece was born when I was 12 and my nephew 3 years later.

Cinque, I think the diets they use for the 2 week crash are getting sillier. Maybe they are running out of options.

Cali & Cinque, My great-niece loved the cake. At the moment she is teetering between upset and very angry at the way he left. Personally I think angry is better as she has a tendency to be too forgiving and not set high standards for herself with regard to how others treat her.

Cali, thankyou for mentioning the Crepe Myrtle a little while ago. I had a look at some in a nursery a couple of weeks ago and have now decided that it will be my feature tree for the centre of front garden. I’ve decided on a new variety that has dark purple leaves (like a plum tree). It’s smaller than most of the older varieties, so the perfect size for my small plot. I will get the “blush” if possible – I really like pale pink blossom with that dark leaf colour. http://www.diamondsinthedark.com.au/

Quacka, a tummy bug sounds like a drastic way to get through a FD. I hope you feel better soon.

Intesha, the little reindeer are delightful. Enjoy grandparents day – it sounds like just what you need actually.

Time I went back out to the garden. I’m taking advantage of the mild weather to do a few days of digging.

Edit: hi Thin, we were posting in unison again.

I forgot to mention – FD for me. I’ve already picked half a dozen zucchinis this morning. I kept three and gave the others to a neighbour. I’ll have 3 of them panfried with some spinach leaves and a little of the left over BBQ chicken.

Good morning. 8.30, drizzly rain, and much cooler today – down to max 24. Very happy about that because apart from being totally lethargic when the temps get to the high 30s, I don’t have many summer clothes in my current size. I’m not going to buy more – we are off to the snow on Christmas Eve, so won’t get the wear out of new summer things.
    LJ I was tongue in cheek when I said we could outrun dangerous things – I can hear my back screaming even when I mention the r word. Good for you if you can run, no matter it may not be in textbook athlete style.
    Intesha hope you have a great grandparents’ day – how old are your grandchildren?
    Quacka another 600g? That is great work. Sorry you aren’t back on your feet still, but hopefully time is all you need. Did you hear on the news this morning that the government is having some sort of parliamentary inquiry into sleep deprivation, its effect etc. and will be holding public meetings.
    I had a great FD yesterday. Great. I stuck to the plan, had heaps of veges and have been rewarded this morning. Oh I so love 5:2. I am back on low carb, 16:8 to complement it (yes, a tough regime, but after Tuesday’s positive news, I feel I can manage it to get past my pre-Bali weight by my birthday next Friday).
    We are off to see Stephanie Alexander at the PowerHouse tonight. We have been a bit housebound lately, but I don’t think that’s good for my OH’s wellbeing at all, so this one will be good because it’s mostly listening. We are going with my two lovely brothers and their wives, so will have a glass of wine before we go in. Just one glass. It’s good to get back to some semblance of ‘normal’.
    Good luck with your FD today Anzac – your day out on Tuesday sounds like a lot of fun.
    Cinque I tend to agree about the French Women ….their focus on quality over quantity. I read a book by an Australian journalist who married a Frenchman (mmm…..Mostly French, I think it was called, and I can’t for the life of me remember her name) who was surprised not only by by what her in-laws ate, but the little amounts of it they were satisfied with.
    Then I remember a French woman I worked with in Beijing. ‘After 40 darling, you can have your face or your figure’. Her point was that we line if we are too slim when we are older. I don’t think I’ll ever get to that point, but I’ll keep trying.
    Best wishes for your day all.
    (and missing some of our regulars – Sybs, Julie, Penguin – are you still reading?)

Thursday 10am. FD for me today. I will have a boiled egg and a few homemade seed crackers for lunch and am making pea ham soup for tea, although my version uses smoked bacon bones instead of ham. Taking an early lunchbreak before it gets too windy and will go for a 30 min power walk. Happy fasting for those joining me today.

I’m joining you on an FD today Gday. Enjoy your walk – I’m doing one too at lunch time.

Lindsay how lovely that you are getting out and about tonight and having a lovely night with your OH, brothers and SIL’s. Enjoy the wine, gosh you deserve it. Glad too that you are back on the 5:2 bandwagon, you are an inspiration.

LJ, I was an aunt at 16, 18 and 21 and it is great being the ‘cool, young’ one! I imagine that growing up in a rural area would have been difficult and lonely. We both share a love of books too. We definitely do not have a shared love of gardening; I leave all that up to my green-fingered OH but I hope you have a nice day out there today.

Quacka! So sorry to hear you are unwell and I’m 100% with you about not doing FD’s when I’m at home. I need to be at work with my mind elsewhere and not in the more relaxed atmosphere at home plus not watching OH, who is a big bloke with a big appetite, eating normal meals. Congrats on another 600g

YamDaisy is such an amazing and wonderful concept Cinque! I have been devouring your website. And it is so great to have big dreams – as big as maccas! No problem, it will happen. I can’t wait to follow your journey going forwards

Thin, I was so saddened to read that your mother left when you were 9. I can’t fathom what that must have been like and then to have to almost become the pseudo mum if I am reading correctly between the lines? My Mum’s Mum died when she was 16 and as the eldest daughter she had to take over. One of the saddest things she ever told me was how her mum came out of hospital (she had a heart problem and knew she was dying) to teach Mum how to cook a roast dinner.

Sad thoughts aside, you must be so chuffed with your downsizing. It’s my number one job for my two week Christmas holidays. We have ‘stuff’ everywhere and it has to go!

The talk of downsizing has prompted me to give an update on renovations and OH moving in. The electrician has turned up 3 times in the last 2 weeks….each time only staying 2 or 3 hours. The house electrics are half done, the car shed electrics not even started but at least the new shed is done to the point that it can be lined now but he wont be back for at least 2 weeks to finish the house electric jobs.

Oh did I tell you about the tradesman that’s supposed to do the lining….missing in action.

The tradesman that extended the back verandah still hasn’t returned after 4 weeks to do the small finishing off jobs.

Oh and the builder who’s supposed to be starting internal house renos mid November….missing in action.

OH has moved in but is living out of cardboard boxes stored in the shed and lounge as everything is such chaos in the house.

On another note my next unit of study is due in 10 days and I’m struggling. With so much going on I don’t have the right frame of mind for it at the mo. But I will get through, always do. Is it Merry that says when you fall off the horse just get back on ?

Thanks for listening to my rant x

Oh no Gday, I feel your pain. We have been renovating on and off for 15 years and full time for the past 6 or 7. Don’t start me on Tradies…honestly how they run a business and make money is beyond me

Good luck getting everything finished as well as going well in your studies. Get on that horse right now!!

Rant anytime, we are here for each other 🙂

Gday, tradesmen who don’t show up when they should must be an international problem. Dependable ones are few and far between. It makes me dread having 2 bathrooms redone. We’re getting estimates at the moment. It’s hard to find contractors who are available (and reasonable). I hope yours gets moving along. You’ve had things torn up for a long time. I like a little of the chaos that goes with remodeling, but not when it seems to go on forever.

LJ, this is the first I’ve heard of a dark leaved Crepe Myrtle. I love the color of the dark plum trees. Those Crepe Myrtles look beautiful. Our regular one has lost its leaves for winter already. I wish they were evergreen.

Thin, I ordered the book because I thought it would be fun to read something my friend in Perth had written. I know that it’s probably mostly outdated now. Amazon only had used copies since it seems to be out of print now.

Friday morning in Melbourne, it is grey and still but not really cold. The wonderful birds are sounding extra loud, and the summer crows have arrived.

Thin, what a lovely and profitable lot of downsizing.
    Ha yes, a Yam Daisy-Chain is just what we want.

LJoyce, what a stunning feature tree your myrtle will be. And didn’t they pick a great name for it!

I agree with you that anger can be the healthier emotion for your niece, we all need high expectations of how we should be treated.

My first zucchini flower this morning!

Lindsay, was it a wonderful night at the PowerHouse? Surely it was!

I have to disagree with the Frenchwoman’s saying ‘face or figure’ in my case. The extra weight made me jowly and fat necked, my eyes disappeared and my hair looked thin. I’m preferring my wrinkles!
    But I am always glad to see someone whose face looks pretty with the extra weight, I am sure it would be a comfort.

Gday, your pea and ham soup reminds me of the delicious one my sister makes. What good food to be eating! I hope it was a great Fast Day.

Anzac, thankyou for that lovely response to YamDaisy.

So many stories of trauma and loneliness in family, it breaks my heart how hard some people have it. I had to do a lot of recovery from my family too, but I never learned to make a Sunday roast! I did learn lots of worrying ways of relating to food though.

Oh dear, those tradies. Much sympathy to all of you.

Haha Cali, you really are an Amazon woman! I hope your health is good at the moment and you are getting all your steps in and some nice meditation in that special room of yours.

I have another busy day and will have Miss 4 overnight tonight. Fingers crossed that not only she sleeps through, but I do too!

Best wishes everyone.

Good morning, yay it’s Friday!

Had a great FD yesterday an feeling light and lovely today. The scales are being friendly too.

Its a nice sunny day, still cool (I needed a wrap coming to work) and will only get to 22 today. But that will be nice for my lunch-time walk.

How frustrating that the tradie inability to turn up on time or pick up the phone is actually international. Good luck with your estiamtes and finding someone Cali.

I’m fighting a cold so hopefully I can keep it away as they are horrible things, especially in the warmer months. I might go home early if I feel worse to avoid infecting anyone else

Hope everyone has a great day

Happy Birthday to You!
    Happy Birthday to You!
    Happy Birthday dear Lindsay!
    Happy Birthday to You!

Someone please add some music clef icons for me.

Good morning,

Anzac, Cinque, your sympathetic comments were very kind. It was an unusual situation for 60s England and particularly so that my dad fought for, and won, custody of us children. It definitely had a profound impact on the developing me. But it’s all so long ago and, over the years, I’ve had so many close friends with much worse family histories. I didn’t have any control over my childhood but this made me determined to take charge of my own destiny in adulthood and I feel I have had a very fortunate and privileged one. I hope I’ve been a better parent than mine were.

Cinque, I’m glad you’ve recovered from your family! I know we’ve discussed these issues here before and there were several who related stories of weird parenting/food issues. My issues relating to food were established even before that time.

Anzac, get well soon.

GDSA, tradies and builders can be a bit greedy and take on too many jobs simultaneously. They then juggle them, leaving everyone frustrated. In WA, it takes TWO YEARS to build a two storey house. In Abu Dhabi, they erect an entire suburb in less time. There’s also very little pride taken in their work, and the “who’s gonna notice?” and “she’ll be right, mate” attitudes are why my OH likes to do everything himself.

CalifD, thank you! I hope you won’t be too disappointed. How are you going with getting into the 80s? I’m at 59.3kg. I hope you get reliable tradies for your bathrooms.

It was such a liberating experience getting rid of so much bulk yesterday. Perfectly good items just sitting around and surplus to our needs. Wasteful consumerism! It’s great to meet the new owners and discover how much pleasure they will derive from these unwanted items.

Hi Quacka, LJ, Intesha and anyone else who’s posts I’ve read but not commented on.

9am Fri, Adelaide

Good morning all.
    I am waiting at home all day as I’m expecting deliveries – I’ve had a flurry of spending money over the last week. My new Kitcenaid mixer (with several attachments) arrives today, as does my new fridge. I’m a bit excited. This is my last hoorah when it comes to spending, I’m in saving mode now so I can get the mortgage paid down quickly.
    The “all or nothing” attitude that I seem to have with food also applies to things like money. I’m either in spending or saving mode. When in saving mode I tend to go to extremes to avoid buying anything that isn’t essential.
    This is what should be arriving today:
    https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Public/KitchenAid-Artisan-KSM160-Ice-Stand-Mixer-w-Ice-Cream-Bowl.aspx I have also bought the food processor and mincer attachments for this, which allowed me to give away both my old stand mixer and my food processor. The new arrangement will need less bench space. It’s also much prettier than my old kenwood mixer! That shouldn’t matter, but let’s face it – it does 😀
    https://www.fisherpaykel.com/au/kitchen/fridges-freezers/fridges/activesmart_-fridge—790mm-bottom-freezer-523l.RF523MRDX1.html
    I got very very good deals on both purchases (saved about a third on RRP).

I was very tempted to buy a new Smeg kettle and toaster which are a similar colour to the mixer but I decided to wait a while. I should get enough money as christmas and birthday presents to pay for those.

Lindsay, happy birthday (if it’s today – I read it as being next Friday). I hope you had a fabulous time at the Stephanie Alexander show.

Anzac, get well soon. A weekend of rest and extra fluids might help.

Cinque, congrats on the arrival of the first zucchini flower. Very soon there will be many each morning! The “face of figure” did apply to me. I lost my double double chin and fat face and have many more wrinkles, especially on my neck. But then I have plenty of loose skin elsewhere as well. Like you I don’t mind the wrinkles, I’d prefer them to the excess fat.

Cali, the thing I found worked well when choosing tradesmen was to ask everyone I knew for personal recommendations. Sometimes I had to wait a while for them to be available, but they did a good job and didn’t overcharge. If I know someone who’s used a contractor and they are happy with the work and the price, it goes a long way to reassuring me they’ll be ok.
    I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of the dark leaved crepe myrtle, it is really new to the market. I was quite excited when I found it as I don’t really care for the yellow-green leaf colour of the traditional crepe myrtles.

GDSA, commiserations on the tradies issue. I suspect in a country town you have quite limited choices. Even tradies who do good work always seem to underestimate how soon they’ll be available and how long the job will take. They must take optimism classes as part of their trade school I think.

Thin, there’s nothing wrong with not being a baker. The world would be boring if we were all good at the same things.

NFD for me, like the other Thursday fasters, my FD yesterday went well.

I didn’t refresh my page so I didn’t see your post Cinque before mine. Congrats on your first zucchini flower and I hope it tastes fabulous. Sorry to hear that you also had family troubles in your past as well. Good luck with your busy day and have fun with Miss 4 tonight

Happy happy birthday Linsday! How was your evening out?

Thin, I don’t know you personally but I would bet that you are a great parent – just from your understanding and empathetic posts. And very wise ones too 🙂

Very excited about your new kitchen appliances LJ. I recently got a mixer with a dough hook for making my naan bread and it’s great. We suffer with lack of bench space in our kitchen so it’s great that the new mixer will take up less. And look nicer – yes it is important! I’m a bit ‘meh’ about housework – I like the house to be clean but am not one to go beserk (by any stretch of the imagination) but my kitchen is one place that I am a bit fanatical about. We had it done up about 10 years ago and spent a lot of money and it is beautiful – still after 10 years. Would love more bench space as mentioned above but that is the only negative. I spend hours every weekend cleaning…then cooking…then cleaning. I love it to shine and look pretty and clean. Mad Maxx is banned from the kitchen and we use a baby gate to keep him out. He loves to sit on the other side of the kitchen bench which is the entry to the laundry and watch us closely in case of any unexpected yummy things accidentally dropping on the ground. Too cute.

here is a picture of him doing just this when he was about 6 months old (so 6 months ago). The wine is just a prop please note! And he is not supposed to jump up with his front paws but we are struggling to train this out of him. He is a very strong-minded puppy but we are getting there.
    https://imgur.com/a/inMiwZN

Oh dear, I’ve gone off on another of my tangents. Sorry!!!

Friday afternoon 12:15pm

Good afternoon everyone

Firstly Happy Birthday Lindsay. Hope you are having a lovely day.

I have just finished lunch so thought I would catch up and write a post while I let my food settle. I made sushi with cauliflower/broccoli rice instead of white rice. It turned out really well and was so filling – I think even more filling than traditional sushi! I took a pic so will post it later.

Weight this morning was only a tiny bit up after a very careful NFD yesterday. Today I made a big step in my 5:2 weight loss journey. I have finally given my big clothes to Vinnies. I think I said I was going to do it last week. Well I made the first step and actually put them in the car so they have been riding around with me for a week. Today in the charity bins they went. It was a good feeling.
    Yesterday my lady boss made another comment about how much weight I have lost and how well I am doing. It made me happy although a little embarrassed. I don’t know why. Lol
    My bosses are a married couple around 60 years old and it was from them that I first learned about 5:2. The man boss was complaining one day about this diet his wife had him on and then later I saw my lady boss had a book on it in her office. It was a long time later that I started to research into 5:2 as I was one of those who could ‘never’ go without eating, not more than at least every three hours, usually less. So funny I can now go all day without eating although I am very hungry for dinner when it is time.

Anzac so glad you had a great FD yesterday! It’s lovely to have that light feeling and know that you did it! Well done.
    Maxx, so so cute!

LJ how exciting! A new fridge and mixer. My huge cookie batch from last weekend was supposed to be beaten with a stand mixer. I only have a hand held one but quickly understood why the recipe said use a stand mixer. It was hard working all that mixture with the hand held, and that was before I added the 5 cups of flour!

I won’t even get started on tradies. Luckily I have a father in law who is very handy and has helped us out a few times. He has also taught OH a lot and given him confidence to do things around the house, not that he has much time for that.

Zucchini flowers! Yay!
    I have been out in the garden early this morning to pick tonnes of kale and also spray dipel for the nasty caterpillars. They were smashing the kale and since I sprayed the first time the kale has gone berserk. I have a shopping bag full of it. I am going to try and pickle some. Anyone ever done this?
    We have one zucchini that has come up in the middle of one of OHs garlic bed. It has small flowers but not yet open, I expect they will this weekend. I have planted cucumber seeds twice and both times they have been eaten. We had run out of snail bait but we have a big bag of it now so I planted some more this morning. We already have two plants and should pick our first (curly) telegraph cucumber this weekend.
    Tomatoes are doing great and I reckon we have about 50 chilli plants, if not more. We love chillies and many have self seeded from last year. I make chilli sauce when we have lots and also pickle them.
    OH loves to grow capsicums but they have been a bit slow this year. They have just started to take off and he is planning to put a net cage over them to keep out the fruit fly. Last year we had a bu,per crop that got anihilated by fruit fly. I still saved plenty by cutting out the bad bits and grilling them to get the skin off then freezing them. Phew! It was a big job but they were yummy.

Oops now I have gone on and on lol.

Hope everyone is doing well and hope you all have a lovely weekend x

Viewing 50 posts - 18,001 through 18,050 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.