Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,870 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 hour, 16 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,051 through 18,100 (of 27,974 total)

• Anzac, I’m similar with housework. My place is ok but rarely spotless. This is the largest kitchen I’ve ever had, and the easiest to keep neat and clean. I actually think it’s easy for a small kitchen to look cluttered and messy. I too really wanted a dough hook as I enjoy making bread but am no longer able to hand knead. My old kenwood stand mixer was well used, but still working well – my sister wanted it (and my old food processor). Though I have no idea where she plans to keep them, her house is bursting at the seams already.

Quacka, well done on offloading those big clothes. I think it has a psychological effect when you do this – you’ve committed to the new you.
    Those cucumbers of yours have come up fast. I planted seedlings and they are covered in flowers and tiny cucumbers, but still have a lot of growing to do before I’ll be picking anything.
    I haven’t heard of pickled kale, although I suspect you could make kimchi from it, as traditionally that is made with green leaves I think.
    Sorry you have to deal with the fruit fly. Thankfully the quarantine rules mean it’s very rare in S.A. Every now and then it gets discovered in someones back yard and there’s a concerted eradication program unleashed.
    I find a small batch of biscuit dough or cake batter is fine done by hand. But the larger mixtures require more strength than my wrists can supply. I also love having a dough hook for making bread as my wrists aren’t up to the manual kneading anymore either. I find this so useful at times like christmas when I’m making big batches of shortbread dough.

Still waiting for things to arrive. I know the fridge won’t be here until after 2pm, but I had hoped to do some mixer unboxing this morning. I’ll need to practice my patience!

I’m still waiting for the fridge to arrive, but I’ve had my unboxing moment with the kitchenaid mixer and accessories. It’s a good thing I have a nearly empty cupboard to hold all of the accessories. They are larger than I anticipated.
    https://imgur.com/a/juqYzUs
    I’m really happy with the colour. I wanted aqua, but you can never tell if the colour in an online picture is realistic.

LJoyce, I have mixer envy! It is fantastic.

Hope the fridge arrives soon

Fridge arrived safely. https://imgur.com/a/2OOlWMl
    I can see I’m going to have arguments with it – it beeps at me if I keep the door open too long, I’m not sure I like bossy appliances!
    I’m also going to have to think about how to use all that freezer space efficiently. For the time being I’ve tossed everything in and just hope it stays frozen.

LJ, the mixer is beautiful! I love the color. It will go great in your new kitchen. I’m anxious to hear how the food processor works. Can it do everything your stand-alone processor could do? I don’t do a lot of baking so I’ve never owned a stand mixer but it would be tempting to do more. The problem is the bench space here as well. I like leaving the appliances that are used often out and just about every spot is taken. But if I could eliminate the stand-alone food processor…

My house is very rarely spotless. I don’t like dirt but clutter is the problem here. You’re right about bigger kitchens being easier to keep clean, although we seem to accumulate a lot of things.

Anzac, Maxx is so cute! He looks more like a puppy in that photo than the others. I love it when people post pictures here. It’s nice to see the things or pets everyone is talking about.

Quacka, what a great idea to make sushi with riced cauliflower! Does it stick together well enough? Have you tried making maki, the sushi rolls with it? I definitely have to try it. What types of sushi do you make?

Gday, I made pea soup a couple days ago too. But I had some thick bacon in the freezer and I chopped up a few slices of that and fried it with chopped onions and added it after draining off as much fat as I could. We don’t often have bacon in the house but I bought about 900 grams of it a couple weeks ago on sale (the package was that size) and only needed a small amount. It was really good in the pea soup.

Cinque, I agree that losing weight makes the face look better rather than worse. My eyes were more puffy before and I think I had more wrinkles before than afterwards. I think weight really ages most people. ‘After’ photos always look younger. I try to use moisturizers all the time, especially while losing, so that helped. Coconut oil is great for the skin and hair when you’re not worried about how greasy it is. Most of it doesn’t get absorbed but applied an hour or more before a shower, it works well. And it smells so nice!

Thin, your book has shipped. It should probably arrive next week. It’ll be fun to read it.

Lindsay, Happy Birthday! I’m probably a day late with the different timezone. But I hope you had a lovely dinner and a nice day.

Intesha, the reindeer cookies are so cute. Where are you going to store all those cookies until the holidays? It looks like quite a bunch from the photos you’ve posted. Keep posting, we love seeing them.

Today was a FD, a very easy one. I usually eat something at noon but didn’t feel hungry today until 3:00.

I hope you are all having a nice day and enjoying Spring.

Cali,
    I’ll let you know what I think of the food processor once I have a chance to test it out.

The only reason it is more space efficient for me is because it’s light enough to be lifted out of a cupboard and I have the cupboard space for it. I’ve taken some photos for you:
    https://imgur.com/a/2w387TC

The food processor looks a lot like a normal smallish food processor but there isn’t actually a bowl space inside. It has blades that slice, grate and julienne. The lever on the side is for slicing, it allows you to go from thinly shaved to thick slices. Instead of having a bowl that collects the food you put your mixing bowl or salad bowl underneath to catch it all.

What it doesn’t do is mince. I bought a separate mincer attachment for that. This will work for mincing veg and meat as it looks a lot like a traditional hand crank mincer to me, and I know they are good at mincing veg & meat.

The things I used my old food processor for that I can’t easily do with this is make things like hummus or felafel or pastry. I have a small mincer attachment for my stick blender which looks like a small food processor bowl. It will do these things, but in much smaller batches. I can also make hummus with the stick blender and a tall plastic jug. Things I still have to test is:
    – whether I can make things like felafel with the Kitchenaid mincer attachment.
    – whether the Kitchenaid mixer rubs butter into flour (for things like pastry and shortbread). My old Kenwood stand mixer didn’t do this well, which is why I used the food processor for it.

I have some experimenting to do. I’ll let you know what is possible once I’ve tried all the tools.

This mixer came with a free ice cream churn as well. I have owned a cheap electric one before for making frozen yogurt, so I may get some use from this in summer.

You say you don’t do much baking, so you may be better off with a good food processor as it’s still one appliance on the bench. I was trying to reduce from 2 large appliances to one on the bench. It depends how much you really want to do more baking.

I’ll keep you posted on performance, once I’ve had a chance to play…

LJ, thanks for posting the photos. I didn’t think about hummus and do use my food processor a lot for that type of thing. It does look like a nice size that could be stored. I’m anxious to hear how it works. My food processor is an old Cuisinart which must be close to 20 years old if not older. It still works well, but not sure how much longer it will keep going. It never did a really good job of slicing. But for the amount of things I slice at a time, it’s usually easier to just use a knife and avoid the cleanup of the food processor. The stick blender would probably work fine for hummus. I use mine almost exclusively for soups and stews. I just don’t think of it for other things.
    The KitchenAid will be great for things like soufflés too. The only time I ever successfully made one was at a friend’s house, using her KitchenAid.

Yesterday’s FD went well. For some reason I wasn’t very hungry and ended up at 435 calories. 59.8 this morning. Now I need to practice mindful eating so I don’t bounce back up again.

6.40am Sydney

Good morning, Weight yesterday after FD was 67.9, yeah, long time since I’ve seen that. Had a lovely day at the grandparents day. I don’t see my grandchildren on a regular basis and sometimes I question whether I have a family as nobody calls to check up on Dad or I.

AWOL yesterday busy doing cookies and was feeling a little down. My planned trip to Melbourne was falling apart. Initially I had booked a 3 day cruise for my friend and I as she had never had a real holiday and she has quite a lot of health issues. I had to cancel this as she was worried about getting ill while we were away even though I had told her that the cruise ship had a Dr and nurses on board. This alone upset me as I was really looking forward to it as you can imagine but I was still going down to spend time with her. This week she has again ended up in hospital and doesn’t feel up to me coming down. I know it is selfish of me to get upset when she is struggling but the cruise and spending time together was as much for her as it was for me. She has always struggled with health issues, her marriage is not a marriage and she has a 40yr old son with mental issues living at home. I have bitten the bullet and decided I am still going as I have already told Dad so he is expecting me to be away and I badly need some time out. I have booked a hotel near my friend but I am not telling her I’m coming, I’ll just call in and see her with a whole heap of cookies 😉.

Sorry for the rant but I can’t talk to anyone else about it.

Lindsay hope you had a lovely birthday.

LJoyce I will look forward to your review of your KitchenAid. I have heard a lot about them and even though my trusty Kenwood is doing overtime with cookies it’s good to get feedback.

Cali, luckily I have a fridge in my garage where I store the heat sealed cookies but that is very quickly filling up 😱. I will take some with me to Melbourne and my daughter who lives in England asked if they would ship okay. I know people have sent them overseas well wrapped in bubble wrap so I am going to attempt that. I told my daughter it would be too expensive and it will be as our postal rates are exhorbortant but I always send money for Xmas so I will do this as a test run. I am not going to tell her and hope they will arrive in one piece and surprise her and my grandchildren.

Today I have to package the cookies I did yesterday and try to finish off some more. I baked the cookies ahead so that it is not such a major effort but I have overestimated my capabilities and the hours in the day to accomplish all I had planned in my head. Luckily the icing keeps for 3-4 days.

https://imgur.com/a/qnsUNbh

Hello all from an overcast Perth. We had an Italian restaurant meal out last night and I can’t believe I’m still 59.3kg on my third NFD. DD and I both brought half our dinner home for tonight. At last I seem to know when I’m full instead of mindlessly eating everything on the plate. We then went to the movies but what we wanted to see (Bohemian Rhapsody) was sold out so we came home.

I can’t believe the ABC has decided to remove iView from our smart TV because the TV is too old! No way am I replacing a perfectly good working TV. Such wasteful times we live in. Thank goodness for Netflix.

Intesha, it sounds like it’s time to put your foot down with that brother of yours and get him involved with helping out in some way. There’s no reason that the burden should fall solely on the women of the family. My OH cared for his mother when her health was failing – at the time, he was working full-time when his three sisters were not. His brother would stay whenever OH had to fly away. The only time the sisters ever got involved was whenever their mum was hospitalised – the only time my OH did NOT need help! And my brother in the UK has been so caring and wonderful to all our relatives as they grew old. I’m very grateful to him as I’m so far away.

I’m out of time and I’ve only read one post. Will have to work backwards later.

Thin you will love Bohemian Rhapsody. I went last weekend and am going again this weekend I’ve been a Queen fanatic since a child. Quick post as we are driving to Roxby Downs at the mo to attend OHs granddaughters bday party. Bumpy road and it’s difficult to type

11:30am Sat, Adelaide
    Good morning SHs

GDSA, hope you have a lovely time at the birthday party.
    How is your OH’s health going these days?

Thin, I trust the WA earthquake that I saw on the news didn’t damage your place.
    That was quite an achievement with dinner at an Italian restaurant. So many starchy carbs!

Intesha, having the week away regardless of other people changing their minds sounds like an excellent idea. You really do need the break. You can do some sight seeing and maybe day trips too – nobody to please but yourself!
    If you are posting fragile bikkies to England I’d recommend putting them between layers of bubble wrap and putting that into a metal biscuit tin. It will prevent them getting crushed – all too easily done with parcel post. I have received some truly mangled parcels over the years.

Cali, I hope you are safe from the wildfires I’ve just seen on the news, in northern California.
    You have done very well for a food processor to last 20 years. I’ve killed 3 in the last 20 years!
    I will let you know how it goes.
    I’m testing the mixer this afternoon to make some biscuits, as I have a friend coming to afternoon tea tomorrow afternoon.

Cinque, I hope your night looking after your grand daughter involved some sleep!

Although today is meant to be a NFD I’ve decided to switch with tomorrow so that I can actually have afternoon tea with a friend Sunday. So I’m fasting today.
    I’m still deciding what to have for dinner. It will either be stir fry veg with konjac noodles or spiralized zuchinni with bolognese sauce.

Have a lovely weekend all.

3:40pm Sat, Adelaide

Kenwood Mixer review (for Cali and Intesha)
    I made 2 batches of biscuits, using the new mixer. It does a very similar job with biscuit dough as my old Kenwood. When creaming butter and sugar together there is a little bit of butter that clings to the bowl edges and doesn’t get incorporated properly – my old Kenwood did this as too does the new Kitchenaid. It’s easily fixed by scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula and turning it back on for a few more seconds.
    I did notice that an optional attachment for the Kenwood mixer is the same beater but with a rubber spatula edge that scrapes the bowl down as it mixes. Now that I can see how the mixer works with the normal blade, I may purchase one of these as I can see the merit of it.
    https://imgur.com/QBIXdW6 This is the top drawer of the freezer. I decided to freeze all of the baking – it should slow me down a bit when I’m in a grazing mood.

I’ve made a decision about dinner – stir fry using as many home grown veg as possible. https://imgur.com/ZCkQ6Hi The only thing I didn’t grow myself is the snow peas – and the konjac noodles of course.

I discovered a bug infestation in the spinach plants today, so pulled them all out – they were going to seed anyway. I salvaged some leaves for dinner and then put everything else into the compost pile. I will either plant more spinach seed, or perhaps some silverbeet plants in the space that I have now created.

Just finished my third pot of tea for the day. FD going well so far, but I think it might be an early dinner.

Hi everyone

Quick post to show you the cauliflower sushi.

Cali I’m not sure what maki is but I just make one big roll and cut it into slices. It was a bit of a disaster at first as the cauliflower rice was a lot more moist than rice so harder to cut. I used a serrated knife towards the end and it worked perfectly.

This sushi has smoked salmon avocado capsicum and cucumber and the ‘rice’ of course.

Sorry for short post. Will catch up tomorrow hopefully x

Anzac, you are very good for my self-esteem, thank you for your kind comments!

Quacka – sushi, now you’re talking. That’s something I can do. What a great idea to use cauliflower rice. Hope you’re feeling alright.

LJ, I don’t share the others’ mixer envy but I LOVE the colour. It matches some of Intesha’s biscuits. I hope you get years of pleasure from it and the fridge. I didn’t have any pasta last night, I ordered parmigiana which didn’t sound too healthy either but I do get tired of caesar salads. It came with spaghetti or chips. The former sounded a weird combo so I went with chips. It was my first time having them in years. After my walk today, I was 58.9kg. So I made it. Unlikely to stick.

GDSA, I’ve been a fan of Queen for decades too. When my uni friend and I lived in North Carolina, she had a friend who did lighting for bands coming through Charlotte (a major town in NC). We could get front row seats and backstage passes for any band we wanted to see (it was quite a drive from our little town but well worth the effort). Proper little groupies we were! Anyway, going through some old photos recently, I impressed DD greatly with my photo of Freddie Mercury! All so long ago; I remember chatting to Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend (hope you youngsters know who they are!) and making absolutely no impression on them at all when I told them that I came from Brighton (where they lived at the time). Good parties though.

CalifD, too bad about the wildfires in Ca again. You won’t be able to read that book, it’s very dry. Stick it on a shelf and then take it to the op shop!

Have we heard from Lindsay on the previous page? Hoping this means she’s having a fabulous celebratory weekend with family.

I think I am still way behind in posts. I’m having a very busy time downsizing and chatting to people who come to collect our stuff. I’m highly motivated too every time the neighbours hit the pool which, today, comprised several sessions of about an hour’s duration each interspersed with trampolining exploits.

Sorry LJ, I forgot to reply to your earthquake comment earlier today. I knew nothing of it until I read your post! Head in the sand.

LJ, thank you for posting the pics of your new mixer and frig. That door storage is a nice size. Many doors aren’t big enough for more than bottles. I didn’t realize those mixers had so many attachments. You can pretty much do it all with the one appliance. Your homegrown veggies are beautiful. Probably a lot more nutritious too, coming right from the garden.

Quacka, thank you for posting the photo. That is maki and it’s the thing I make too. Serrated knives do work well for slicing the roll. Rinsing the knife after cut or each roll helps too. I sometimes wrap the roll and put it in the frig for 10 or 15 minutes before slicing because it seems to make it easier. Here’s a picture of some different types of sushi: https://smashingtops.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sushi-plate.jpg
    If you like sour things, Umeboshi Paste is really good in sushi rools, usually with other vegetables. One container lasts for months in the frig. https://www.amazon.com/Eden-Foods-Umeboshi-Paste/dp/B0013JLOHA?th=1 I buy it in the grocery store, usually an Asian market.

We’re pretty far from the Northern California fires but we’re getting a little of the smoke. It’s really bad with over 100,000 acres as of this morning and only 20% contained. 15,000 structures threatened, with 6,453 homes lost and 260 commercial buildings incinerated. Southern California is also battling a couple big ones. I wish it would start raining.

Thin, I will definitely read your book when it arrives. It will definitely not go to the op shop!

I like Queen too and am anxious to see Bohemian Rhapsody. There were some mixed reviews at first so I’m glad to hear that you like it, Gday.We’ll probably wait until it comes to Netflix to see it. I have his CD, Barcelona which I really like. It didn’t come in mp3 so I had to convert the CD and then jump through hoops to get it into my Amazon music app so Alexa could play it.
    Thin, I’m impressed that you got to meet the band. Why not scan that photo of Freddy Mercury and post it here?

Good morning friends, 6.50am here on a cloudless beautiful Sunday morning in Sydney. My turn to get up with Maxx so OH can sleep in. My post will be in bits because every time I sit at the computer Maxx nudges me with a ball or he goes to the top of the stairs and whines to go down to see OH (the stairs are blocked). Who needs kids?

I hope you are nowhere near those awful fires Cali?

Intesha I do hope you can still get away, it really sounds like you need some time away desperately. So glad you can come and talk to us and get support and friendship.

I had a pretty terrible NFD yesterday, lots of mindless grazing. I don’t know why and I am angry at myself. Two steps forward, one back. I will now have to have a light day to make up for it

I will have to keep this short, fur-child is driving me crazy and seems to be jealous of the computer! Hopefully I can catch up later today.

It is a beautiful morning in Melbourne and I have a cat on my knee (lovely cat, but she did stay out all night 🙁 )

It is my Fast Day.

It was a very broken Friday night with my dear little granddaughter, and as if that wasn’t bad enough Miss 2 was distraught that she couldn’t come too. (She was busily packing her bag while we were packing Miss 4’s). My heart broke. So we might need to work out a whole different activity.

Once I got her home yesterday I just had to rest. But hopefully I am well enough today to get things done before an easier stint of babysitting this afternoon.

Lindsay was it your birthday on the Friday gone, or the coming Friday?

LJoyce, What a beautiful colour your Kitchen Aid is. What fun getting to know it and all its attachments. And then filling your freezer!

I approve of your all or nothing approach to money. I like the times of careful spending and then how wonderful to spend on good quality things that add so much to your quality of life and which in turn make being thrifty easy and enjoyable.

The last food processor I bought had a much stronger motor and a good blender attachment. Oh the pleasure it has given me!

I’ve enjoyed eating my tender baby zucchini with flowers attached (there was another one yesterday, and I see two more this morning. I’ll have them in my miso soup.)

Anzac, Lovely picture of Maxx!
    Your kitchen sounds wonderful! A shiny, clean kitchen that produces wonderful cooking is one of the best things in the world!

Quacka, making cauliflower rice work in sushi! Wonderful.
    A big congratulations in putting those clothes in the donation bin. It shows that you have trust in your way of eating for the future. A huge thing.
    I do understand you embarrassment about a weight loss compliment. At least, I think I do. I had to think what to say and practice it (I generally said ‘thankyou, if feels so good’). It took ages for people to notice my weight loss though, or enough to say something. Not til I went down about three sizes!

What a great garden you have, and a great crop of bugs! I hope the birds, and the others bugs, who eat them start moving in. My main wrecker at the moment is a blackbird with a nest nearby who is so pleased with my home made compost and digs up everything I have planted to so as to go through it. 🙁

Cali, so glad you had a good and easy Fast Day.
    I agree about the mindful eating, it seems to be the main thing I need to concentrate on. Not just mindfully shewing and tasting, but mindfully planning so I have the good meals, in good portions ready to mindfully eat.

It was awful to hear the news of another dreadful fire in your state. Such terrible destruction.
    At this rate we will have so many fires out of season that the shared resources won’t work.

Intesha, I am so glad you are still doing your trip. What an awful disappointment that your friend can’t manage it. It was such a lovely gift to her too, so that is an extra disappointment.
    But you do need the time out, and you will love the cruise. And ofcourse, there is the catch up we will have 🙂
    I’m hoping you can have the most wonderful break, and that as soon as you get home you start planning your next one. Best way to make your brother do his bit, if you are off having your well deserved ‘me time’.

Fingers crossed those cookies survive the overseas trip to your daughter. They will be so excited when they arrive. (Your daughter’s family, not the cookies 😉 )

Thin, the wonderful life you have led! Chatting with famous musicians, more than just pop stars!

Good morning Anzac, I am glad it is glorious in Sydney too.
    Oh well, your grazing day is behind you and your next fast day will cancel it out. I hope your lovely light eating day is a pleasure. And that Maxx behaves himself.

Cheers to everyone

100 years https://yandinaeumundirsl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Yandina-Eumundi-RSL-poppy-field-lowq.jpg

9am Sun, Adelaide
    Good morning everyone

Quacka, well done for finding an alternative to rice in sushi. It’s one of the reasons I normally avoid it. I’ve never tried making sushi, I imagine getting it rolled tightly enough to hold together is quite a challenge.

Thin, I want to see the Queen movie too. Where I live now is walking distance to a large cinema complex so I might wander over for a daytime session – hopefully it be less busy than the evening.
    Meeting famous rock stars – sounds like there’s another book there somewhere!

Cinque, I felt so sad about your 2yo grand daughter packing and then finding out she couldn’t go with you. Not a situation that any parent or grandparent can easily handle. I think you are right, you might need to work out an activity that is just you and her.
    So glad you have already been able to enjoy the baby zucchini with flowers.
    Is that what the garden chairs were for – to discourage the blackbirds?

Anzac, Maxx sounds very precocious this morning. I think jealous is the right word – anything that takes away from his time with you.
    I have a friend whose cat used to lie across her computer keyboard when she sat down to work. She had to shut the door to keep her out.

Cali, yes there are an enormous amount of attachments that can be added to the Kitchenmaid – you could spend thousands. I do like the fact that bowls and beaters can all be replaced too, as over time that is sometimes necessary. I did consider buying the grain mill, but decided that I wouldn’t use it often enough to justify the cost.
    I’m hoping for rain for you, to deal with those awful fires. I think when they occur out of season it catches people unawares because you start to think you are safe again until next summer.

FD went well yesterday, although it always feels weird to fast on a Saturday. I awoke this morning trying to figure out which day of the week it was. Only a problem that occurs in retirement!

I soaked 2 cups of chickpeas overnight and am boiling them now. I will make a few into hummus and I’ll freeze the rest so that I have easy access to cooked legumes.
    I usually offer muffins, scones or biscuits when my friend comes to afternoon tea. I will have freshly baked biscuits today, but thought I’d do hummus with veggie sticks too. I don’t make hummus much in winter, but through the warmer weather I’ll happily make it every week.

I worked through my food diary yesterday and put in all of the family & social events involving food that I already know about. Then I added in my rheumatoid treatment days. That allowed me to work out which days will be most suitable as FDs from now until Christmas. Those of you who use the same days each week don’t have this issue. I’m glad I did this now, as most weeks I have very few choices and it’s good to know that now, so I don’t start agreeing to events that will make 2 FDs difficult to complete. I feel a bit more prepared for the challenges ahead.

Have a nice Sunday all. Good luck to the fasters.

Hello Sunday fasters, losers and maintainers,

Anzac, I could just picture little Maxx wanting to play by pushing the ball your way and waiting in anticipation. Sometimes while I’m walking, a dog will run over to me and drop a ball at my feet. So cute. Grazing day behind you.

CalifD, I saw the fires on the news last night, horrendous. I also found about another sickening islamist terror attack in Melbourne during which a much-loved restaurant identity was murdered. Scott Morrison summed it up perfectly. Locals interviewed commenting that this is ‘just part of life in Melbourne nowadays’. What? And a few other items which reminded me why I try to avoid the news these days.

Cinque, poor little Miss 2. Do they take turns staying with grandma?

CalifD, sorry I’ve already boxed up our photos so you’ll have to take my word for it. I should have scanned it first. Instead, I’ll post a sushi platter. We, too, place the rolls in the fridge prior to cutting with a very sharp knife. It’s a rare treat for me due to all the rice but that could change with Quacka’s idea of cauli rice. https://imgur.com/a/EolhIgo

After 3 NFDs I’m at 58.9kg. I briefly toyed with skipping today’s FD but thought better of it. Miso soup for me which reminds me I must soak the ‘shrooms.

P.S. LJ, our posts crossed again. I’ve said before that, although I rarely drink alcohol now, I made up for it at the other end of my life. That was the era! I can’t remember much about it so it’s good that I have the photos. CalifD, Bohemian Rhapsody did get poor reviews here too which put me off a bit. We saw the musical in London a few years ago which was great.

There’s a food blogger who I read most days.
    She’s an excellent baker and is brutally honest with her recipes – including what didn’t work, so I trust her recipes.

I was looking at her icecream recipes, as my mixer came with a free icecream churn.

I came across this in her blog, which I actually though was good advice:
    “People often ask me why I’m not the size of a house -and yes I notice that they put it that way. They don’t ask “How are you so thin”, because well of course I’m not thin at all. Like bacon I have a healthy layer of fat on me that I’m always trying to get rid of (the fat, not the bacon). My theory on food is this, and feel free to ignore it as I don’t have the physique of Gisele Bundchen to justify you buying a book on my dieting advice (and she’s likely to say something exasperating like “Oh I’ve been blessed genetically”- puh-lease!).

Anyway I like to think that for me to eat it it either has to be
    a) fabulously delicious or
    b) fabulously healthy.”
    http://www.notquitenigella.com/2013/06/11/unfried-ice-cream-with-butterscotch-sauce/

As long as you don’t always choose option a, it’s a sensible approach to food.

Can it be c) fabulously delicious and fabulously healthy?
    Here’s my submission for c): https://imgur.com/a/nGfFMey

Thin, I think that’s called: the best of both worlds!

Last month I posted a picture of a new pasta I’d found, made by Slendier. It’s made from legume flours and is available in edamame, soy and black bean varieties.
    I bought a packet of the edamame fettuccine.
    Tonight I cooked some of it and thought I should report back.
    https://imgur.com/Tmx1ulV
    This shows the packet, the dry pasta (70g is pictured dry), and the cooked pasta (that is 140g dry pasta when cooked for 5 minutes).
    I was aiming for 2 serves so I think that quantity is about right.

I’ve had legume pasta before and this is much nicer than any other brand I’ve tried.
    This legume pasta has 480kj (115cal) per 100g dry fettuccine. My 70g serve had just 81 calories. Normal wheat pasta would have been 250 calories for that size serve. I can even see 81 calories + those for the sauce fitting into a FD, which shocks me actually.

Just one more thing to note. This legume pasta cooks very quickly, much faster than normal fettuccine. The packet says boil for 3-5 minutes. I cooked it for 5 minutes and It was a bit too long. I think 3 minutes would have been better.

This was surprisingly close in texture and flavour to a wheat pasta. I would definitely buy this again, and will try the other varieties. I rarely buy or eat pasta, so having a low calorie and high fibre option makes it a viable meal for me again. That’s handy as I can start using my pasta sauce sauce recipes again.

Good tip LJ, thanks. How many cals would you calculate for a FD sauce to go with that?

Good morning all, another week begins. 68.3 this morning after FD yesterday. I think I must be in permanent maintenance but that’s okay my clothes still fit and I still feel slim. I’ve got too many other things to worry about without stressing about my weight.

Cinque I cancelled the cruise completely because I had booked it out of Melbourne for this Friday. If it had of been from Sydney I might have been able to get someone else to come with me. Anyway I am looking forward to my trip down. I have booked a hotel in Boronia so we can still have our catch up. I will be there until Thursday so message me when you are available. I will be driving down on Saturday. I love being on the open road but have to watch my lead foot as I get carried away. I got a speeding ticket the last time I drove down but managed to get myself out of it. I don’t think it would work this time.

LJoyce thank you for the review. I have one of those rubber paddles but have not used it much so can’t remember if it was good or not.

Thin you sound like a girl after my own heart. I was a bit wild in the music scene but only here in Australia. Easybeats, Normie Rowe, Rick Springfield etc. I do know the Artists you were talking about. Do you remember Uriah Heap and Showaddywaddy. I remember going to Chesterfield with my ex to see the Holly’s. Oh those were the days and such memories.

Still doing cookies. I tend to overextend myself and then stress myself out but I have nearly finished.

Off to see Mum today, Dad says she has been good lately so hopefully that will be the case.

LJoyce I will be buying some of those noodles today. Which store and what aisle?

Latest cookies

https://imgur.com/a/6nAmGdC

Good morning, it is 7.30am and another lovely sunny day in Sydney. Going to be 25 degrees

We have a big family get together at our place in two weeks so decided to do some long overdue spring cleaning yesterday. It was great as we kept busy so I didn’t think about grazing once. I decided to clean our back doors – one glass sliding door and the screen door that has lattice and was crusted with dust. Ick. It took a little longer than it should thanks to my trusty yellow furry helper. He enjoyed trying to take the sponge from my hand or nicking the dust cloth and running off with it. I finally said ‘go see Dad’ which he understands. So hubby was pruning and I couldn’t help laughing when I saw Maxx taking all the offcuts out of the bin as OH put them in and putting them on the ground.

I’m going to try that pasta LJoyce – if I can find it. Is it available at the supermarket or did you buy it online? I love the mantra that food has to be either fabulously delicious or fabulously healthy – or I prefer Thin’s option C – both! I’m going to adopt that one, especially when I am tempted by the dry crackers they have here at work. I only eat them because I like the crunch, not so much the taste and they are a waste of calories.

Thin your option C picture looks amazing and delicious and so healthy! Did you make it? WOW

I have been a Queen fan since my teenage years and I am in AWE Thin that you met the great man! OH is a mad Who fan so would have given anything to meet Roger Daltrey and/or Pete Townsend. OH and I love going to the Hunter Valley for ‘Day on the Green’ concerts and go at least once every year. We choose concerts that have our old favourite 80’s bands and over the years have seen some fantastic performances. We are going again on the first weekend in December, but this time we are taking on of my best friends who has just gone through chemo and radiation therapy for breast cancer. There are 8 of us going and she loves – really loves – John Farnham so he is playing with Daryl Braithwaite and three other bands. Not my favourite’s but it will be so great to get together with the gang and see my friend enjoy herself.

I’m so glad you are still going on your trip Intesha. Watch for those pesky speed cameras for sure. What a shame about the cruise, I hope you didn’t lose a lot of money having to cancel?

Cinque – naughty kitty! My cat Oscar would often stay out all night. I miss him so much – we were best buddies for 17 years before he died. He was 12 months old when we got our first Labrador Benson and they were also best friends (once Benson learnt who was boss. And it wasn’t the humans or himself). We lost both of them and my darling Mum all in the same year (2011). It was a totally cr@p year to be honest. I can just picture a cat lying across a keyboard to stop his/her human from doing anything other than pouring attention on him/her rather than typing on the computer.

Oh and I too have an ‘all or nothing’ approach to money. He has a saying ‘save where you can so you can spend where you want’. We are frugal most of the time but then when we have a trip we do it in style 🙂 We both enjoy pottering around the house on weekends more than going out, and now with Maxx we don’t go out very much at all. In fact we have not been out at night as a couple since we got him as we don’t want him pining and alone at night. We keep saying that we have to start leaving him for short periods that get gradually longer so we CAN go out soon but we haven’t got around to it. This has been helped this year as we are not celebrating any of our group of friends birthdays as we didn’t feel we could when my other friend was going through so much with her cancer treatment. We are celebrating everyone’s birthdays when we go to the Hunter Valley in a few weeks.

Quacka your sushi looked incredible. I don’t actually eat it as I don’t like it nor do I eat seafood but it sure did look nice

Cali so so glad you are not too close to the fires. It looked terrifying on the tv. The smoke can be awful too; we have had fires near us and everything smells like smoke for ages even after they are put out.

The scales were only up 200g from my Friday morning weight so I’m happy about that seeing I had a not-so-good Saturday. I’m 88.4 this morning and I would very much like to sneak into the 87’s by the end of this week. My FD’s are tomorrow and Thursday. My goal is to be 85 by Christmas – and I’ve factored in that the weekend away will definitely do some damage. If I can do it that will be just under 7 kilos off since starting 5:2 and 11 or 12 kilos down since 12 months ago

Ok time to do some work! Have a great day everyone

Good morning,
    Lovely morning after Fast Day and a good time babysitting the darlings yesterday.
    I might be a bit tired though! Taking it easy.

We are working out the best way I can spend time with them, and be most useful helping my daughter, but logistics are tricky, not least because my little old car can’t take two carseats, and it is too hard to keep swapping them (littlie is still rear facing). It will get easier next year when they are living closer.

Good planning LJoyce. I am going to spend a good bit of the day planning too. So important at this time of year.

Intesha, thanks for explaining (again! sorry!). It is a pity you will miss your cruise, but I can imagine it would be weird to go alone. Hooray that you are still getting your trip, I hope it is a wonderful trip down. I still have your email address so I will talk dates with you.

Hoping your mum is having a really good day.

Well, I have a run of NFD’s and a fridge full of good food, plus greens in the garden, so I am all set to eat Thin’s take on NotQuiteNigella with delicious healthy satisfying food, but not too much! 🙂

Sending good wishes to everyone.

PS Hi Anzac! Lovely post. Well done Spring cleaning with dog!

Just popping in to say hello, after being missing in action for a few days. I started going through all the posts, to make sure I didn’t miss anyone, then realised that if I did that I would be either late for work, or not get around to posting. So, I’ll try to catch up later.

Thin, thank you for looking for me. I seem to have had a wilt over the past few days …. lacking motivation for anything much, except the essentials.

The very good news is that OH has a little more sight than he had. Just from the side of the eye, and a curtain seems to fall in the mid-point, but a definite improvement. We see the doctor again tomorrow, and are hoping for more good news (knock on wood and whistle).

Thin thank you too for my birthday song – which I loved (although a little early – it’s this Friday…but very nice to set the tone for my birthday celebrations). We had dinner with my DD and family on Saturday and she gave me my present – two wonderful, beautifully crafted white metal chooks – a hen and a rooster – for the garden. She was very nervous about the present, as it’s a milestone birthday – but she knows me so well….I adore them. I’ve positioned them on a grassy bank in our courtyard, under the mango tree. I see them from the kitchen window, from my little office, and when I am sitting in my spot on the sofa. I smile each time I catch a glimpse of them. What she wrote on my card was beautiful and more treasured than any gift.
    Cinque just a quick response to my French work colleague’s comment – I dont believe for a second it’s face or figure. When I was at my heaviest I had a double (triple??) chin and my face totally lacked definition. Now, I don’t run from the camera, because I don’t actually mind what I see. I’d never willingly have my photo taken, but at last I am having photos with my beautiful grandchildren (all 4 of them) that I can treasure – not grimace at.
    OK work calls. Groan. Usually I love, but not just at the moment. I’ll check back in later. Enjoy your day all.

Good Morning everyone

Just a quick post to say hi.

I am on a FD today. Weight has crept up a little from the weekend but I think I am on track to reach my goal for my birthday.

Lindsay great to hear your OH is regaining some of his sight 🙂

I am hoping we may have someone new joining us here soon. My Mum!
    We were messaging last night and got around to 5:2. I sent her the link to this website so she can research it for herself and I also let her know that she can talk to me about it any time she would like. I really hope she can give it a go.

I hope you all have a lovely day and I will be checking in again a few times during the day. x

Lovely posts to read with the first coffee of my NFD. I enjoyed them all!

Lindsay, so sorry that I got the wrong day – LJ, had hinted that I had got it wrong but then everyone else followed suit and I didn’t have time to go back and read where I had misread your post. I bet your friend’s card had a message of appreciation greatly valuing your friendship. So, I wasn’t the only one getting in early. We’ll do it all again this Friday! I’m sorry too that you are feeling a bit low but it’s understandable. But what great news about Mr L.’s sight. A glimmer of hope for you both.

Quacka, it will be so cool if we can welcome your Mum here too. When’s your birthday (sorry, you have told us the month before but my memory is bad). I think you said December? How much weight does your Mum have to shed? Personally, I can’t work out why everyone isn’t doing 5:2!

Cinque, hoping your FD went well. My miso was a disaster. I had stopped adding the chicken some months ago and replaced it with something else but can’t remember what. In a moment of madness, I added silver beet and swirled an egg through it, then a teeny droplet from a jar of ‘Too hot to handle’ chilli. It was just awful and I couldn’t get through it but couldn’t be bothered making anything else. My stomach was rumbling like a lion all evening. Weight the same today, 58.9kg but I suspect it would’ve been higher without the FD as Friday’s restaurant meal could have caught up with me.

Intesha, I know all those bands. Australia produced some great music but wasn’t always good at marketing them overseas so we didn’t always have the benefit of knowing about them. I got to know a few while backpacking here in the 80s. My real passion is 60s music though. For my 50th birthday party, I compiled 15 hours of sixties songs without a single repeat. Lovely cookies, you’re a glamour queen and a domestic goddess. (For those that don’t know, I saw a photo of Intesha a year or so ago).

Anzac, it might be impressive that we rubbed shoulders with some of those bands but, I can assure you, we made absolutely no impression on them! Well maybe one. At the Billy Joel, “Uptown Girls” concert in California, four of us dressed as Uptown Girls and stood up to dance while singing the words to every song. Billy Joel noticed and asked us to join him on stage. They were mad days, I worked hard and played hard. And drank far too much. (So glad my DD is not like I was at her age!).

Those concerts on the lawn are wonderful. My all time favourite is Bryan Ferry and I saw him at a similar concert in our southwest. Not that I was sitting on the lawn – I was up front making a fool of myself with the other ‘older’ female fans. He also performed at the Perth zoo which is just down the road from us. I have all his albums and know most of the words. I know he would be happy with me if he just gave me the chance and stopped messing about with beautiful girls half his age. ha ha.

Mad Maxx has been up to his old tricks again! You are fabulous owners always putting the dog first. There’s not much worse than losing a beloved pet.

We’re the same with money. We are not consumers. But we have spent a lot of money on making treasured memories travelling over the years. I loathe shopping and we make things last until they fall apart. I only upgraded my iPhone 3 because Optus deemed it obsolete. And now the iView thing is making me very angry but I won’t upgrade the TV.

Anzac, yes I did make that salad platter and I posted it here before. It was for a Xmas party and I wanted to set a good example to that particular group. At the time, Cinque was talking a lot about salads in a jar and we discussed rainbow salads.

DD is home studying for her final exams over the next two weeks and I love having her home all day. I can’t talk to her much but just try and get some food into her and support her however I can. I am so dreading the empty nest.

Wow, I have really gone on. Time to get ready for bridge. Have a fabulous day everyone, especially Quacka and the fasters!

9:40am Mon, Adelaide, hot here today

Lindsay, so pleased to hear of your husband’s progress. We are all hoping for continued improvement.
    The chook sculptures sound delightful. The perfect rooster – one that doesn’t wake you up at 5am.

Cinque, glad the FD went well. You mentioned a good day with your GDs. Does that mean the 2yo has forgiven you over the sleepover?

Intesha, lovely biscuits. I especially like those with the snowflakes – but then teal is one of my favourite colours.
    I found the Slendier fettuccine at a Foodland supermarket (S.A. independent chain) I haven’t looked for them yet at Coles or Woolies, but as they stock that brand of konjac products I suspect they may start stocking them. They were in the gluten free section, next to the konjac noodles.
    A couple of things I should mention – this is expensive pasta, compared to wheat pasta. I think it was $5 for a packet and I’ll get 3 serves from that packet. I like the flavour and texture but it is not identical to wheat pasta. It has a bit more flavour than the blandness of wheat pasta and, because it has no gluten, the fettuccine strands break a bit more easily.

Thin, most pasta sauces I make are mainly veg and tomato based, so they would normally be 100-150cals for a generous amount. A level tablespoon of grated parmesan is an extra 32 calories.
    If I don’t have a sauce ready made, my go to option is a salmon-tomato-spinach sauce. This whole meal takes no more than 10 minutes to put together.
    130g tin John West Salmon (the one with no bones or skin), 321kj/76cal whole tin
    100g cherry tomatoes
    50g baby spinach
    1 tsp lemon scented olive oil (or chilli scented oil is also good)
    1 clove garlic chopped
    1/2 red chilli chopped (optional)
    a handful of continental parsley leaves (optional)
    cracked pepper

Cook your pasta.
    Drain the water from the tin of salmon. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
    When the pasta has just 30 seconds left to cook, add the spinach.
    As soon as the pasta is cooked, tip the pasta & spinach into a colander to drain.
    Put the saucepan back on to the heat and add the oil, garlic and chilli and stir for a minute.
    Add the salmon and warm through. Add the drained salmon and spinach back to the pan and then add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Serve immediately.
    This sauce is 145 calories. If you use a different tin of salmon you’ll need to adjust the calories (most other brands contain the fatty skin, so they have a lot more calories).
    If I have enough calories to spare I usually add another teaspoon of the scented olive oil drizzled on top of the bowl of pasta. (That’s an extra 40 calories.)
    To save calories you could use half a tin of salmon rather than the whole tin.
    This is a photo of the salmon: https://imgur.com/a/IhGMpID

This was one of my favourite summer pasta meals, when I used to eat normal pasta regularly. I haven’t made it much since I stopped buying pasta – I will be glad to be able to have this again. It’s one of those meals that work for a FD or a NFD – I can be generous with the olive oil garnish on a NFD.

I’m having a controlled day today and a proper FD on Wednesday. Tomorrow I’m going out to lunch with a friend I used to work with. She also took early retirement about the same time I did, but she chose to settle in the Barossa Valley. We are going to a cafe at Brighton – on the beach and not far from here.

Thin, I loathe shopping too! The only items I enjoy shopping for are bags – handbags, canvas bags, beach bags – anything! And not the stupidly priced designer ones, but more the quirky one-of-a-kind that you find travelling or in little markets. I discovered Aldo in New York and San Fran last year and even hubby loved going in and helping me find a couple of really unusual, but reasonably priced handbags. I have quite a few from our travels now and I love them all. My ‘Ellie’ bag goes with me everywhere; I bought it at an elephant rescue farm that we spent a day at in Thailand many years ago. It is old and falling apart but I have such fond memories of that day learning how they rescue and take care of the poor elephants that are tortured so they do ‘tricks’ for tourists. If you ever come across one of these acts please walk away and don’t give them any money

I hope your Daughter goes well in her exams

Quacka I look forward to hopefully welcoming your Mum soon!

Thanks for the recipe and info LJ, just going out but have copy/pasted it to read later. I don’t mind the expense. We eat less so we deserve the best. And I regarded being overweight as a medical issue so it’s worth any cost to maintain a healthy weight. There. All justified!

P.S. Morning Anzac, agree completely about the elephants. Thanks, her exams are towards the end of December but this is the only time off beforehand to study for them. That’s it, I’m not even going to check if there were any other posts. I must go!

I just noticed an error in my pasta recipe.
    “Add the salmon and warm through. Add the drained salmon and spinach back to the pan and then add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Serve immediately.”
    It should have read:
    “Add the salmon and warm through. Add the drained fettuccine and spinach back to the pan and then add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Serve immediately.”

Thin, this would work as a family meal – just be generous with the olive oil garnish on their bowls. For 3 people I think 2 tins of salmon would be sufficient. It would get the calories count down a bit too.

Beginning to think my scales are broken. Have been exactly the same weight for the last 7 days. Strange…..

That does sound strange Gday. There is normally at least a small amount of fluctuation due to fluid retention etc. Maybe time for new scales? My old ones were doing the opposite and showing wild fluctuations so I was glad to buy another

FD for me and I’m well prepared. My second was planned for Thursday but my boss has asked me out to lunch (no idea why) so I’ll have to rethink. I don’t really have another day that suits me. Hmmm

FD today. Weight same as yesterday.

LJoyce I looked for that pasta in Coles and although they had the other products not that particular one.

Off to the hairdresser this morning, my regular cut and colour. Wish the grey disappeared with the weight.

Anzac I love going into those stores like Aldo particularly overseas. I have bought so many handbags and jewellery over the years that I have had to stop as I know longer work I don’t get the opportunity to dress up like I did. My last purchase was at Mt Etna where I bought some earrings made out of volcanic rock.

Oops, I had to cut off my post almost mid sentence because I was so absorbed I looked up from my seat on the train and realised we were at my stop to get off to go to work!

Those earrings sound lovely Intesha – my only other ‘thing’ apart from handbags would be interesting jewellery. I bought some lovely necklace/earring/bracelet sets in Cuba last year. Two sets for $30 and I didn’t even bargain with them as that was so cheap and I knew the $$ would mean a lot to the vendors. We were in a big covered market in Havana – I forget the name of it but it was amazing. Just like all of Cuba

Re my second FD I am going to try and keep my calories down at the work lunch – I don’t know where we are going yet so I can’t plan. Then I can work the rest of the day around whatever calories I’ve had

Have a wonderful day and happy fasting to anyone else fasting with me 🙂

Started watching The Bodyguard last night, looks interesting. Recently I have watched, Intelligence, Designated Survivor, Marcella and Hinterland. If you haven’t already watched them might be of interest.

Good morning everyone,

Gday, you can go for a Guinness World Record of keeping the weight the same!

Lindsay, so good to hear from you. It is a such a rollercoaster for you and Mr L at the moment. Worry, relief, exhaustion, frustration. I do so hope that improvement continues. Candle lit.

Aha, I think we are all agreed that faces are fine, and usually improved, by carrying less fat on them, even as we age. Sorted!

Your chooks sound just gorgeous.

Quacka, I really really hope your mum joins us here. And I really really hope she calls herself Quackma!

Thin, so sad to hear about your disappointing miso soup. I do the same kind of thing all too often. It is worst when I am in a creative mood and end up with disaster, but bad enough if I just think: hmm what a good idea to put that in…

Best wishes to DD for her exams, I hope she flies through. Enjoy feeding her up.

LJoyce, darling 2yo had forgotten all about the sleepover, dear little tot.

Anzac, your bag collection sounds such fun. And hooray for supporting elephant rescue.
    Best wishes for a really excellent Fast Day today. Enjoy the hunger and look forward to tomorrow!
    You’ll have to tell your boss on Thursday how he messed up your Fast Day 😉

Intesha, I hope you have packed some glad rags for your trip!

Well, it is a gentle day for me, with lots of pottering around and catching up on things to do. Sensible mindful eating. Fast Day tomorrow, I will take the baton this evening Anzac!

Warm and overcast in Melbourne 7:55

oh oh oh I just laughed out loud and everyone in the office looked at me! Quackma! I just love it [still chuckling]

It’s 8.47 and initial hunger pangs have waned. Two yummy black coffees and two bottles of water and everything going to plan 🙂

Oh no…Just posted but it’s gone into the ether … if it’s temporary, apologies for the double post (I had copied it, just in case).

Good morning. Still in ‘catching up’ mode, on this lovely sunny Brisbane morning.
    Heading off the doctor’s shortly (after coffee with oldest brother and SIL…a nice ritual).
    Anzac I’m not an inspiration at all – but you are very kind for saying so. I’m just muddling along, the best I can, dealing with the situation we’ve given.
    Thank you for the birthday wishes Anzac, Calif, Thin, Intesha & Quacka. It’s actually not til this Friday (sorry if I confused you all, or missed anyone). We’ve put it on hold until we have something to celebrate – although my son and daughter and their families are coming over to the island house for a weekend of happy family time. Once OH has good news, you’ll hear the champagne corks popping!

G’day – tradesmen! Our renovation here took 2 years, after being promised 6 months. In their defence, the builders did outstanding work. Their father who had handled all the quoting and scheduling died suddenly, leaving his two sons with very competent construction skills, but a large workforce and no management at all. At the time I was tearing my hair out, but 5 years on, I still look at the job they did with absolute pleasure.
    Cinque I read the YamDaisy website with such interest = what an amazing project to manage or be involved in. So many people will benefit from what you are achieving. Congratulations. And yes, it was a wonderful night listening to Stephanie Alexander – and the bonus? OH commented after that having to listen and not see her really made him take in her message much more closely.
    LJ, I’m exactly like you – feast or famine (with both money and food). I’m either on a full on diet…or not! I wonder how many of us are like that? And although I am not a shopper, I can get a spend on from time to time. But I’m not like my girlfriend, who could (and does) shop til she drops. After 40 years she’s become tired of asking me to shop with her.
    OK must rush. More later. Hope you are all enjoying your morning, wherever you are.

Who’s fasting with me today? My menu will be 2 boiled eggs for lunch and cauliflower/ broccoli rice for tea. Scales finally moved today, down by.3 kg….yay

I’m with you Gday. I have a salad of lettuce, cucumber and capsicum with a palm-sized piece of lean sirloin for lunch. An apple for late afternoon snack and some lean beef mince with veges and chilli in lettuce cups for dinner

Glad your scales aren’t broken after all! And 300g down is great, especially before a FD. They will be down even more tomorrow hopefully 🙂

Good Morning everyone

Quackma!! I love it Cinque. I also laughed out loud at that one. I’m not sure if she will join us. All I can do is encourage her to try 5:2 but at the same time I don’t want to be too pushy. thin,she has a fair bit of weigh to lose but I would really like her to give it a go for the health reasons especially.

Well its day after FD for me today. Weight back down to 67.9kg and I would really love to sneak into the 66s before my birthday (28th November, thin). My original goal was to be in the 67kg range but if I can get into the 66s I would be even happier. We are going camping next week for four days for my birthday and I can’t wait. I love camping and fishing and just being outdoors.

I am having a very light eating day today and a FD tomorrow. I have woken up not hungry and so I think it will be easy. I will post a pic of my lunch salad. It is 162 calories and it is huge! I honestly don’t think I will be able to eat it all.

We went fishing on the weekend and saw whales again. We have been lucky with them this year although they haven’t come quite as close as that time when they swam under the boat! The downside is I ended up with a huge outbreak of cold sores from the sun exposure. I had a hat on and sunscreen and was standing under the bimini most of the morning but I think the reflection from the water still gets me. I have to resort to wearing zinc all around my mouth and over my lips just to stop the horrible things.
    One good thing is that when they come out really hard and fast like that, they also heal up pretty quickly.

LJ your salmon pasta recipe sounds yummy. Nice and light for this warmer weather we are having.

If only Intesha!! I would love my grey hair to go away with the weight loss. I have found this new spray that is like a hairspray with colour in it. I can stretch out having to get my hair coloured by using that. I just have to spray it on my part as that is where the greys show through the most!

Will be back soon. Work calls

Intesha, I hope you enjoy, ‘The Bodyguard’ I’ve not seen ‘Intelligence’, enjoyed ‘Designated Survivor’ at first but, like a lot of those with never-ending episodes, they run out of good ideas. I liked both series of ‘Marcella’ and never finished ‘Hinterland’. I bet you can dress up as the glamour queen when you go to Melbourne. Cinque can report back. When is that trip?

Thanks for your good wishes, Cinque. And thanks for the amended recipe, LJ.

Anzac, so funny about nearly missing your train stop. It must be so cool to travel to work on the train. I have never been on a train in Perth! Good luck with Thursday. That would be a conflict of interest for me as I’d be wanting to get the most out of the boss and enjoy some EFS. I’m sure you’ll nail it though.

Lindsay, there’s only one thing worse than shopping and that’s shopping with someone else. Ugh! I just laughed when my girlfriends used to suggest that. I can shop for very specific items with DD because, like me, she tires of it after about half an hour and then we come home.

Yesterday at bridge morning tea, skipping the instant coffee line, I walked past the biscuit display and grabbed a chocolate digestive. Well, OK, two actually. (I hadn’t been hungry enough after my FD to eat breakfast and forgot my banana, LJ!). A lady said to me, “how do you stay so slim and eat chocolate biscuits?”. So she and the rest of the table got the 5:2 hard sell. The lady I’d already introduced to 5:2 was sitting there with a black coffee – FD for her – so I had a live sample to show them.

Two people were very interested in getting started. One said they would never have thought of me as being anything other than slim and another said they just couldn’t imagine me 25kg heavier. The first question out of everyone’s mouth is “what do you eat on a FD?”. I think there’s a fear that they can’t go without food. And we know from all the hundreds of people who didn’t stick around here that there are people who just cannot do this. So, kudos to all of us for sticking with it! Aren’t we fortunate?

Quacka, I’ll try not to mess up the date for your birthday wishes! So funny about the grey hair disappearing with the weight, Intesha. I have never seen my grey hair except the roots. I do worry about putting all those chemicals on my scalp for so many years and wonder if they cause cancer – anyone know? What do you pay for a cut and colour in the eastern states? It is so expensive here but it’s one of my few indulgences as I do like to have a decent looking cut all the time.

Ok I’m back

Gday, scales are really the strangest things. I’m glad you have seen some movement in them today, and in the right direction! Not long ago I weighed myself three times and got three different readings with a variance of around 3kg!! I think I may have called those scales a few choice things that day 😉

Anzac, your stories of Maxx are so cute. All the best for you and Gday for your FDs today.

Oh I almost forgot. I was out watering the garden early this morning and we have a zucchini on our plant that came up in the middle of the garlic plot. I am so excited. I also picked our first telegraph cucumber today.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,051 through 18,100 (of 27,974 total)

You must be logged in to reply.