Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,401 through 17,450 (of 28,011 total)

• Hi everyone

Saturday afternoon and I’m just enjoying being home with my OH. We went for a quick visit to his dad and step mums this morning and as we were leaving his step mum ( a very lovely lady) commented on how much weight I had lost. I hope one day (thin) I can get to the point that I no longer need anyone’s comments and appreciation and just be happy that I am who I am, who I was meant to be. I don’t want to be that big person who has lost the weight and is now thin. I admit though that at the moment I still need people’s observations. Weird right?
    So I had a weird day yesterday. In the morning I pulled out all of my clothes that I am to donate as they are too big. Then I found some that I wasn’t sure if I fitted into them anymore. They are summer clothes and I am a lot smaller this time round than last summer. I put them on top of the bag to ‘try on’ later as I ‘wasn’t sure if I fit them or not’
    I am trying to sabotage myself again. It is a confidence thing. I know I will never fit them again but I am also scared to get rid of them. They are sitting in my bedroom with the ‘try ons’ on top and I haven’t gone near them since yesterday morning. Argh!!!

Hope you are feeling better today Gday

Lindsay don’t let that up and down weight put you off what you are doing. Being a daily weigher, I have found so many things (falsely) influence my weight reading. It can be how much salt I have eaten, how much water I have drunk, a combination of the two and also how much food is in transit. Various other factors also come into play.

Housework. Well I don’t love it either, but I do love that satisfaction of having a nice clean house.

thin I would love to join you in the silly season challenge. I’m not sure exactly what it is but I have plans for this silly season anyway which I am sure will be easily incorporated into the challenge!
    I am not going to have breakfast ( I find that easy most days anyway unless I have been eating badly beforehand). I am going to have lots of healthy salads with the proteins, whatever they may be. I am going to try and walk for exercise, so much easier in summer as I like to get out about 5:30 – 6 ( better for my rosacea) Desserts are mit an issue for me as I don’t like them anyway. Alcohol, another story.
    I will try to not drink so many beers. And I will remember that it’s ok if I have a FD, even a mini one, even when OH is home. He is totally suppprtive of my FDs ( ha ha unless he feels like a beer that day!!)

Christmas is at my house this year. We are having lunch here and I plan to have lots of food but mainly healthy. We will be doing prawns and oysters ( we live in a famous oyster growing area, awesome!)
    Salads galore and probably chicken wings and sausages on the bbq. Maybe I will do some pork souvlaki as well depending on how many are coming. I think all that food is healthy as long as portion control is exercised. No issue there as I will be eating a tonne of oysters and prawns – pretty healthy and extremely yummy!!

Hey Cinque, hope you are ok today 🙂

I’m getting up now to make meatballs for dinner. Fresh parsley and mint from the garden and I may add some chives a super we have so many again. OH is going to mow the lawn…… (I better go check on him in a few as it is so long he may have trouble finding his way out of it)

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their day. Be happy x 🙂

Hi everyone,

Knee deep in kitchen spring cleaning here…

But stopped for a rest and read the last message.

Quacka – there will come a time when it seems normal to know and feel you are a slim normal weight. I promise you. The first year you catch sight of yourself in shop windows and mirrors and don’t realise it’s you at first. A bit cognitive dissonance where your brain’s automatic memory is catching up with what your eye sees. The 2nd year that doesn’t happen – you just catch sight of yourself, recognise it’s you straight away, and smile.

Merry

Lindsay, hoping your husband is alright and will have a good outcome. Commiserations with that pesky noise issue. Not getting their lease renewed will surely create a vacuum for the next lot of inconsiderates. My neighbours have gone away for the school holidays and, for the first time in several summers, I have been swinging in my hammock reading a book outside, listening to birds and the gentle trickle of our water feature. Utter bliss! I can’t remember what else you said as I read your two posts earlier and I’m afraid to go back a page mid-posting. It’s like that memory game where you study items on a tray, one is removed and you must try to recall what’s missing. Stick Dyson. Weight bouncing around….. hope you’re OK, best wishes. Post holiday dramas.

It is so quiet that I can even hear our bobtails rustling around in their enclosure – after helping my neighbour for several hours in her garden, she gave me ten snails for them and they were fighting each for them – literally taking them out of each others’ mouths. Comical but gross at the same time.

Quacka, you can see the Silly Season Challenges from the past two years on my profile. It’s nothing difficult, just a commitment that, as a group, we can continue our fasting WOL throughout the Christmas and NY period together. I think it’s under ‘Topics Created’ or similar.

Alcohol is a tricky one. For most people, it’s just a habit that can be changed over time just as we’re doing with food. We really can’t talk about healthy eating choices without including alcohol since it represents empty calories (and a lot of them), it’s a carcinogen and it has the propensity to cause us to make bad food choices as we lose our inhibitions. But it’s also a hard subject to discuss without sounding like some weirdo nutter. I think over time, we just come to our own conclusions along with the good choices we’re making about food. I can only say that, with rarely drinking alcohol, I enjoy and value a drink a lot more than when it was a daily habit. And I definitely don’t need the calories. As for those larger clothes, just bag them up by size and stash them somewhere until you feel safe getting rid of them. There’s no hurry.

Hello Merry.

Good afternoon all,

Cinque, good to hear are are now feeling better after a restful day.

Thin, Well done on the Indian meal.
    Thank you so much for that tip with the dyson. It is the outward stroke that has me swearing and fighting with damn thing. When I pull it towards me it’s fine. I’d gotten to the point of developing an awkward technique of lifting the cleaning head away from me and then allowing it only onto the floor to clean on the inward stroke. It works but makes my shoulders very sore. Next week I’ll try using the lever and see if it solves the problem.

Lindsay, I hope the solution to your husband’s medical issues work out well. I also hope your sleeping pattern gets back on track soon. Good on you for persevering with the good carbs despite your erratic weight. I’m sure it will become more stable over time as your body adjusts.
    I’m glad you like my descriptions of my gardening efforts as you’ll probably get a few more of those post during the spring & summer.
    Like you and Thin I am not a fan of ironing. One of the delightful things about retiring was getting rid of my business clothing (which all seemed to require either ironing or dry cleaning). My wardrobe is now track suits, jeans, windcheaters, t-shirts and a few knits. None of which requires ironing. In fact I won’t buy clothing these days if it does need ironing, except for special event clothing that is only worn very occasionally. When I moved into this house I took great pleasure in actually giving away my large ironing board – I now have one of those little bench top ones that Ikea sell.
    Although I do prefer the look of tea towels and pillow cases ironed, I don’t do it I made an exception when I was staging my previous house for sale – I even ironed the sheets, quilt covers and the new curtains. You only realise just how much fabric is there in those things when you have to iron them!
    I remember watching my mum, who had a busy life and didn’t need extra work, iron everything – even underwear! I also remember thinking how pointless that was and vowing I was going to iron as few things as I could get away with when I had my own home – I think I’ve lived up to that.

I have spent the day cooking. I’ve made one huge pan of lasagne to my usual recipe, and another smaller one without any cheese – to cater to one fussy great-nephew who won’t eat cheese – unless it’s in a cheesecake!
    I’ve also made the pavlova, it’s just finished baking. I didn’t have any white vinegar so I used apple cider vinegar in the pav and I think it improved the flavour. Usually I find the raw mixture quite unappealing, but I taste a fingertip of everything before baking just to be sure I haven’t forgotten an important ingredient, and this was actually quite a reasonable flavour. Normally all I taste is raw egg white and sugar. I probably will still choose not to have any for dinner tomorrow, I’m making a fruit salad as well and I usually hate that marshmallow textured centre of a pav. The only reason I’m making it is because most of the family love it and my bother-in-law is a particular pav addict and he’ll be here for dinner.

After having such a good FD, I’ve had a very uncontrolled NFD with lots of snacks. Not unhealthy food, just too much food. Tomorrow will also be a NFD with family here for meals. I’m not sure what to do about Monday. I’m having day surgery, so I have to do a complete fast from midnight until about midday. The only uncertainty is that my sister (who’ll be staying here) has said she’ll cook dinner that night. So the evening meal is an unknown – not the way I normally approach a FD dinner. I’m hoping that I can just restrict myself to a 400cal portion of whatever it is – then I have enough room for my cups of tea.

Clearly I’m a slow poster. While I was writing three new posts appeared!!

Hello Quacka and Merry.

Merry, you’ve been at that spring clean for a while now. Your house will be truly sparkling by the time you’ve finished.

Quacka, try those clothes on again, if you need to reassure yourself that they really are too big. Then put them in the “donate” bag. You have definitely proved to all of us that your weight is heading down not up – time to believe it.
    I’m not sure we ever become immune to others’ comments. The only thing I don’t like hearing is that I’m too thin, or gaunt as that always feels like sabotage.

Thin, I am just imagining the bobtails having a snail grab fight. Very cute.
    I’m glad you enjoyed your quiet afternoon.

Surgery LJ? Have I missed something? Hoping it’s nothing to cause alarm. Did you mean to write ‘bother-in-law’ or was it a slip of the keyboard? It made me laugh anyway.

I accept that ironed sheets feel nice – but only for one night – and I cannot believe anyone irons anything that isn’t worn! Lindsay – tea towels? Are you crazy?! LJ, I have never owned a standard size ironing board – it was probably a subconscious statement. When I was single in California, nothing needed ironing (or did it?) and, in this house, I have one of those Robin Hood miniature boards that pulls out from the wall and provides ample space to iron a shirt or scrub top. It has a timer on it which I always use ensuring that I’ve never done more than 30 minutes of ironing in one go. I have a friend who spent $700 on an iron because it is apparently only necessary to iron on one side of the fabric with that particular model. When I met my OH, I warned him I was a traveller not a Suzy Homemaker and it’s fair to say I have lived up to the disclaimer.

Thin, he’s usually not a bother, but I’m glad my typo gave you a laugh.
    Nothing to panic about, the procedure is really just a precaution. I have a few symptoms that could mean a number of things, including uterine cancer. The ultrasound was clear, so I stopped worrying at that point. To be sure, I was told that a biopsy was advisable. Unfortunately the procedure, while brief, requires a general anaesthetic. I am really not expecting any problems.

I hate ironing and, like LJ and thin, I only purchase clothing that usually doesn’t need ironing unless it’s for a special occasion and not worn often. Same with dry cleaning. I no longer buy regularly worn clothing that requires dry cleaning. And many things that say they do can be handwashed anyway. Years ago, when work clothing was more formal and I wore ladies suit type jackets to work, it was a well known fact that I wouldn’t take the jacket off, even if it was warm, because I never ironed the sleeves or back of my blouses, only the front and collar that was visible with a jacket on. 😁 The only non-worn thing I sometimes have to touch up with an iron are tablecloths. I hate doing those because of the size.

LJ, I’ll be thinking about you later today and praying for a good outcome on your surgery. By the time you read this it will probably be over.

Lindsay, best wishes also for your husband’s treatment and hope there are no side effects.

With all the talk of weight going up and down, I thought I would post my weights from the last several days to show what water weight and snacking can do, mainly for the new fosters. I typically eat a lot of carbs and don’t make an effort to restrict them. Easy to see where my Mon and Thurs FDs are:

Sat 59.4 kg
    Sun 59.7
    Mon 59.9
    Tues 59.1
    Wed 59.3
    Thurs 60.5
    Fri 58.7
    Sat 60.1

My maintenance goal is 59. This was a fairly good week because there are usually a few more days in the 60’s. I’ve been doing a lot of snacking.

LJ, I love your outdoor furniture. Between the indoor and outdoor dining tables you will be able to seat a lot of people! Party at LJ’s! 😁 🍾🍹🎉

Quacka, regarding being tempted by your husband having a beer, I eventually came to the realization that just because someone else was drinking or eating, didn’t mean that I had to be doing the same. Having a calorie-free drink or a cup of tea was one solution. My OH is thin and not tempted by all the snacking like I am, so he can have a beer or alcoholic drink and not gain weight. He’s also several inches taller than me and has a higher TDEE, so he can eat and drink more than I can before he starts to put on weight. Unfair, I know.

Thin, re patio furniture made in America lasting longer, you’d be hard pressed to find any patio furniture not made in China these days. And even things produced here seem to have “plannned obsolescence “ in mind. I love the look of much of the Samson furniture. It’s a retro look that is indeed still popular here.

Good morning,
    Cold and grey this morning (the weather, and me!) It is Sunday fast day.

Ooh look you have given me an opportunity to give my favourite ironing tip:
    Whenever you have an item of clothing that needs ironing, put it in a special basket.
    When the basket is full, gather all the clothes, and take them to the op shop 😉

I love that one, even though I am one of those bizarre old fashioned creatures that doesn’t mind ironing (not that I do it very often) and love having ironed clothes hanging in the wardrobe, ironed teatowels in a pile in the kitchen cupboard and even ironed pillowcases. Especially because I have a lot of pure cotton and linen things.

I do try to avoid dry cleaning, all those horrible chemicals, but I was so glad to get my padded silk jacket dry cleaned last week as I have worn it for two winters, every day (it is so light and warm) and my attempts at handwashing didn’t make much inroad and clumped up the padding.

I do agree that it is the relentless of housework that makes it so dispiriting. I am continually amazed by my ability to mess up my home. I can completely fill up the kitchen bench with things that need to be washed and put away…. EVEN ON A FAST DAY!

Quacka, I agree with LJoyce that you shouldn’t give yourself a hard time about giving away your big clothes. It is a whole series of small steps and you have already done a couple of them: packing the ‘too big’ winter clothes, and collecting the ‘probably too big’ summer clothes. The next step will present itself soon, whether it is taking the winter clothes to the Op Shop, or trying on the summer clothes to see if you will send them too. You’ve got all the time in the world. Pat on the back for every small step.

Christmas sounds wonderful in your area! Special food, but perfectly healthy.

Hi Merry, cheers for that Spring cleaning.

Thin, so glad you are having those lovely peaceful days.

Good wishes to Mr Lindsay, to Gday, to LJoyce for your procedure, and enjoy that family feast tonight! And your new home’s first visitors.

Best wishes everyone for a good day.

Good morning, SH’s. I didn’t do my FD yesterday so am doing it today instead & will do 3 this week all up, to make up for it. I lost half a kilo this week with a w/e away & lost of eating out, so am feeling confident now that this is for me.
    Cinque- I love your ironing advice. That is SO funny!

Hi all,
    A quick post on my iPhone – laptop packed away for a couple of days.

I am sitting on the verandah in my new outdoor furniture, enjoying a cuppa while I wait for my sister and b-i-l to arrive. I think I’ll need to get cushions for these wooden seats if I want to sit on them for any length of time.

Cali, thanks for the best wishes, I’m feeling confident it will all be ok. If that tariff war with China continues you may find the outdoor furniture is made in the US again soon, or perhaps not – I seriously doubt it’s that simple.

Cate, that’s an excellent result given the week you’ve had, hope the 3FDs works

Cinque, I had a less drastic ironing rule (when I used to wear clothing that required ironing). If something stayed at the bottom of the ironing basket all season then I didn’t like it enough to keep it. There were always a few things that just sat there waiting to be ironed and I would keep finding alternatives.

Have a nice Sunday everyone. I probably won’t post again until Tuesday.

LJ- I forgot to say lots of things & couldn’t keep up, but your outdoor furniture looks really good. Thanks for the comment- I got a pleasant surprise. I’ll give 3 FD’s a crack at least. Even if one ends up being a CFD that’s ok as my OH is going away the 1st week in Oct & I will def. be doing 3 FD’s that week.

Good morning…second FD today and I am nervous as I’m worried what will happen when the ‘novelty’ wears off. But I’m determined as I had a pretty rubbish weekend food-wise, but nowhere near as bad as a ‘normal’ weekend. We took the dog for 3 long walks so hopefully that will help a bit

Hope everyone has a great week

Good morning all

It’s a FD for me today and I am already struggling 🙁
    I didn’t eat much for dinner last night as the meatballs I made turned out awful so I didn’t eat them and just had the salad instead. Usually my meatballs are awesome – note to self, stick with what you know!
    I am thinking it is a psychological thing that is happening because of my small dinner. I am going to try and stick with it though. I could always put it off today and do tues/wed but there is a long weekend coming up so I would like to have CDs for the rest of the week that are not FDs.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support about giving away my bigger clothes and about not understanding what my actual size is now. Today I have on my size 12 jeans and I found a belt in the cupboard which should help them stay up! There is a mark on the belt at the hole I used to wear it at, now it is at the hole about 10cm away:) I haven’t worn this belt for so long that I forgot I even had it so I’m not sure what size I was when I wore it at the bigger mark. I do know that I definitely wasn’t at my biggest though.

Had a fun day yesterday. We went for a canoe in the morning and then went a played a round of golf. I need some golfing tips though because I am hopeless at it! It took me about six (or eight) goes just to get my first ball to go somewhere on the fairway in front of me. Several times I missed the ball completely (rolls eyes) and the other times I actually hit it but it went almost 90 degrees the wrong direction!! Lol. I really only do it for fun as OH and I just laugh so much.

Hope you are all doing great and hope you all have a lovely day. I will be back later so I hope you all write nice long posts!! Xx

Hi Anzac 🙂 we can get through this together! The novelty won’t wear off when you see the results you are looking for :):)
    Good luck today

Thanks Quacka…I’m struggling today too for the same reason. Often when I cook I am kind of ‘over it’ by the time I serve it and don’t eat much. I made a lovely chicken dish but only ended up having one drumstick and a bit of salad. So I’m mega hungry already but I have the Fast-Diet book in my drawer at work and I keep reading the section about Mind and Motivation. If it doesn’t wane I have some emergency fruit salad in the fridge

Good luck!

Good morning,
    It is lovely sunny morning after Fast Day.

Cate, you are doing brilliantly.

LJoyce, bet you do a quick read, even if you can’t write, so hoping you had a lovely feast last night, and your visitors have enjoyed your new home.

Quacka, not the best start to a Fast Day! Maybe it will just settle into a normal Fast Day after a rocky start. Lots of cuppas?

10cm off your waist! Wow, that is really wonderful. You just saved yourself a heart attack or two!

I’ve got a theory that I am brilliant at golf (even though I am shocking at all other sports) but no one knows because I have never played. But it would be even better to do it with someone you can laugh with the whole time.

Anzac, the novelty keeps on as you lose weight. It is a bit different doing it for maintenance, the novelty is pretty well gone, but it is in the rhythm of my life now, FDs are easy (and NFDs aren’t necessarily easier). I have the option to stop, but that would be self destructive, so I don’t.

Good luck today. A Fast Diet recipe book and emergency fruit salad mean that you are set!

Cheers everyone

Good morning losers,

I had a great FD yesterday, continuing to enjoy blissful silence in our garden. Just like the old days before the ‘me’ people moved in.

LJ, all the best for your procedure today. Nice that you have the family support.

Anzac, a lot of us have learned to postpone having any food until much later in the day on a FD but there is no imperative to do so. Instead of making it an exercise in will power, you can spread your calories out. When I started this WOL in 2014, my very skinny OH did it with me for 11 months just to give me support. He’s a man who eats by the clock so and fears hunger, before we started, I put a huge amount of effort into planning three ‘meals’ per day. It’s been a very long time since I’ve done that but I just looked up my spreadsheet and our breakfast was 30gms oats with water, cinnamon and half a tsp honey, 124cals. At this stage, I can’t believe I was having honey, let alone on a FD but I was just a beginner! Anyway, I would let the oats swell, then add more water and repeat. Eat very slowly. Later, when you get the hang of handling 500 cals (or whatever you’re using), you can shift the food later and later into the day.

In my experience, eating less the day before a FD actually helps my FDs go more smoothly. It’s when I’ve over eaten or consumed rubbish that I find them harder.

Quacka, a whopping 20cm off your waist, wow! A reminder to newbies to measure everything before they start. I laughed at your having so much fun at golf. We shouldn’t take things too seriously, especially ourselves.

Cate, sounds like you have made the necessary changes to your week to enable weight loss.

Cinque, I love your ironing tips. Hope you are not having a grey and cold day today but a warm and blue one. P.S. I have now seen your post, oh good, you are. No chance of stopping here either. Not with all the thousands of people on this forum for support.

sorry, I need more editing time, s/b: “and fears hunger so, before we started, …”

Sometimes I can not believe how insensitive people can be. I was in our work kitchen getting my miso soup ready and heating up my konjac noodles and mushrooms to go in it when my so called best (work) friend commented saying “that really does not look appealing”. I had just commented on how yummy her lunch looked. So my reply to her was “you don’t have to eat it, I never asked you to eat it”. She just gave me a look and walked away muttering something about ‘cranky pants’ under her breath.
    We had just been for a look in the shops and I mentioned to her how I didn’t have much for dinner last night and as a result was quite hungry today.
    She has been quite supportive previously (or so I thought) but I wonder if it has all been fake. She is quite slim and eats a terrible diet and I am wondering if maybe she feels threatened now as I am getting near her weight.
    Sorry if I sound petty or like a drama queen but I am actually quite upset over it.

You don’t sound petty or dramatic at all Quacka, that was unnecessary and – as you said – very insensitive. Losing weight and changing life-long habits is hard enough right? There was no point to her comment, seriously. All she could hope for was to turn you off it and what sort of ‘friend’ does that?

You said you were getting near her weight so you have obviously been really successful; so pat yourself on the back, ignore her and try to forget about it. I bet she has a think about it and comes back and apologises. If not then I reckon she IS feeling threatened.

I caved today and it’s only my second FD. Had 6 Vita-weats 🙁

Quacka, maybe you could have replied, “Good, ‘cause I’m not giving you any! I’m eating it all myself.” 😁

Really, what you eat or don’t eat doesn’t need anyone else’s approval. Better to be a cranky pants than a tubby pants!

Thanks Anzac. I just wanted to say please don’t let a little set back stop you from achieving your goal. We all have our ups and downs with this way of eating, some days are easier than others. I think it is Merry that posts “if you fall off you horse, just get back up on it” I have had to pick myself up a few times LOL 🙂

Cali really love what you wrote too and thanks. I would definitely rather be a cranky pants than a tubby pants!

Cinque, I forgot to say this morning that I also love your approach to ironing 😉
    So many more better things to do in life.

Well almost through today’s FD and I am happy I persevered with it. I won’t be a cranky pants when I hop on the scales tomorrow morning…..
    Oh forgot to tell you. Last week I weighed myself and I was so delighted with the numbers that I got all super excited and gave myself a massive headache. Not doing that tomorrow!!

Quacka, that’s why you have like-minded cyber friends who ‘get it’. Your work colleague is threatened by the changes to your norm, according to my doctor. She simply doesn’t know how to respond. It’s not about who’s the skinniest. Ignore her, and later you can write, “See, I told you that was an unhealthy diet” on her tombstone.

Good evening everyone,

I hope the rest of the day went better Anzac. Don’t call it a failure, it is an excellent learning experience! Have fun analysing it without putting yourself down.

I wonder if you added up the calories of the vita-weats and anything you had on them, and just factored that into your fast day, or whether the rest of the day got sabotaged.

Quacka, your workmate was terribly rude. Personally, I love the look of miso soup, but even if she really didn’t it was an extraordinary thing to say to someone just about to eat. I’m going to be rude in return and call HER Ms Cranky Pants.

Hi Cali, Thin, and everyone else.
    The second installment of Hugh’s Fat Fight is on SBS tonight, looking forward to it.

Good morning!

Thanks thin and Cinque 🙂

Day 2 of B2B and feeling positive today, hooray! The scales were a bit mean this morning as they only showed 200g down but it’s ok, down is down.

I am going to have a happy day today and if anyone tries to bring me down I will pause, take a deep breath and remember that it is their problem, not mine.

It has been very cool here the past two days, almost back to winter. We had the fire on for the past two nights and we are having the last frozen pea and ham soup tonight for dinner. Not the kind of food I expect to eat in Spring but also glad that it will be eaten before it has been in the freezer for too long.
    Had our first bunch of Australian Asparagus last night with dinner. Asparagus is a veggie I never really liked until I tried it barbecued and now I love it, although I only eat it when it is Australian grown. I just sprayed it with spray oil then fried it in the pan. At the last minute I added garlic and then put it in a bowl and squeezed lots of lemon over it. Yum!

I hope you all have a happy day today. Take care x

Good Morning everyone,

Welcome Anzac🙂, – brush off that FD yesterday and move on with the week. I had a rocky FD yesterday too. I’ve been on 5:2 for almost 4 yrs, and love this forum and this Way Of Life (WOL or WOE-eating). There is a lot of experience on this thread to help answer your questions. I have probably failed more FDs than any of the other maintainers here, but I still got my weight down to normal, and due to health reasons I can’t exercise, so I still feel like I’ve found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

This is not like any diet you’ve done before, and I suggest you not to go lower in calories than you need to on your nonFDs (NFDs). This is not about daily deprivation which is what all other diets are. This is about learning as you go along, making discoveries you never expected. You will learn lots of things about yourself and your relationship with food doing 5:2, and you have just learnt 1 of 5:2’s amazing secrets.

Secret no. 1 – We don’t feel hungry the morning after a FD. How does that happen? I have no idea, but we all love it.

In case this applies to you I’ll let you into another secret – people on 5:2 fit into response patterns with their FD eating. You’ll work out which pattern you are over the next few weeks. You’ll find yourself in 1 of these groups: I

1. The Hunger Dragon group. This is a phenomenon we didn’t know about before 5:2. Some of us have a Hunger Dragon. These people are not hungry on a FD till they eat something, then their hunger comes roaring to life and it keeps roaring at them after that. These people usually eat 1 meal in the evening of a FD with all their FD calories.

2. The Nauseous Ones. This group feel a bit nauseous on a FD if they don’t eat breakfast, so they divide their FD calories into 2 meals – breakfast and dinner. There are lots of recipes available – in the FD book or other 5:2 recipe books, where calories are given for meals to help with what to eat. My OH often does FDs in this pattern.

3. The 3-a-Day Eaters. Three very small meals on a FD, following a normal NFD eating pattern.

4. The What The Heck I’ll Just Have Water! group. This is a smaller group but there are several what-the-heckers on the forum. These people sometimes have a Hunger Dragon and choose not to have anything on a FD and find it easier that way. Some don’t have a Hunger Dragon but choose to only have water on a FD for other reasons, so no calories on a FD.

I’m a Hunger Dragon lady, so I’m a 1 meal a day FDer and do Mon/Thur FDs. I have 1 meal after 6pm, and 80% of the time I have the same thing:
    – miso soup or fish stock ( either Campbells or from a cube), with
    – 120gms hoki fish (frozen from Aldi, NZ caught)
    – small portions of vegies with low calories, on the day this may change a bit but I always have veggies of different colours
    – carrot,
    mushrooms,
    broccoli,
    cauliflower
    bean sprouts
    Chinese leafy greens eg baby bok choy or whatever’s in my local Asian market
    bamboo shoots – canned
    water chestnuts- canned
    Asian herb mix for extra flavour
    -fresh coriander is a staple in my fridge, so a little chopped on top goes well.

Lowest calorie fruits are strawberries and rockmelon (cantaloupe). Yes we’ve had challenges with these in Australia this year, but I’m back to having rockmelon now the scare seems over, and strawberries I cut up.)

With these I can bring a FD meal in at 360 calories. To me, the key to FDs is to make the food tasty – lots of zing in the soup – Thai green or red curry or chili for those who like it.
    I need a touch of extra salt on FDs, so a miso soup base works well for me.

So, Onwards and Downwards,
    And, If you fall off the horse get back on it.
    Merry

Hi Quacka,

Your post came in while I was writing. Don’t worry about the scales – they get a bit grumpy sometimes. A loss is a loss, and some times, just to be ornery, they stay the same but your clothes feel a little looser anyway.

Yes, Shellharbour is not too far from both of us, so maybe we can meet there for a coffee one day if you want to meet up. It does feel weird meeting someone you’ve met on the internet, but if you’re game to meet up with a fellow ‘axe murderer’ off the internet we can enjoy our size 12’s together over a coffee in a public neutral place.

Hmmm, I poste on my phone on the train to work this morning but I just realized it isn’t there. I didn’t derail after my vita-weat frenzy 🙂 I still had my stir-fry and I ended up just over 600 calories instead of 500.

Wow, thanks Merry for that incredibly informative post. I’m not sure which category I’m in yet. I’m currently doing 3 small meals but I have a feeling that I might be a Hunger Dragon as my appetite does spring (roar) to life as soon as I have the fruit I have prepared for breakfast. I will experiment over the coming weeks.

And yes, I can’t fathom how we aren’t starving the morning after a FD! I did have a bigish stir-fry for dinner but it was mainly vegetables with a palm-sized piece of chicken breast and a drizzle of chilli and soy sauces. But both times after my FD’s I have not been overly hungry. Weird.

I really love the concept of only feeling like I’m dieting two days per week; so while I won’t go bingeing on junk food on NFD’s, I won’t deprive myself too much either. A good walk every lunch time really helps too; I work quite near Hyde Park in Sydney so that is a lovely place to walk around.

Have a great day!

Catch up: I’m still knee deep in spring cleaning, and have some little achey bits, but still getting as much done as I can pace myself to do before the weekend when OH will be back home and life goes back to normal. He can help me with the heavier things after we get back from school holidays with the grandees which starts next weekend also.

Today I’m headed north for a periodic medical specialist appointment, and planning a massage in the same vicinity. Wednesday I’m treating myself to a day off doing lovely things I enjoy doing just on my own, after immersing myself in spring cleaning. It’s been a challenge, but, I don’t think I could have done this at my pre 5:2 weight.

Last week was a 100gm drop at my weekly exercise physiologist session. Not much but my pants seem much looser this week.

Time to get on with the day.

Happy FD to all the Tuesday fasters.
    Merry

Good morning losers and maintainers. A sunny but foggy morning in Perth. Hope your fog has lifted LJ and that your procedure revealed nothing unusual. Bah humbug, the neighbours returned last evening and immediately advanced to the trampoline. Not sure why that activity requires so much high pitched screaming. The three days they were away were cherished moments. This morning they woke us from a sound sleep at 6am, not incredibly early some might say but the concept of teaching the children to be considerate of others is evidently lost on the parents. Fingers crossed that their second trip of the school hols is already underway.

Good morning Southern Hemispherites.

My house guests have just left, so it’s time for me to catch up with what’s been happening with all of you over the last couple of days.

I’m doing ok. The procedure went to plan yesterday and I should have pathology results in about a week. I still feel a bit uncomfortable and nauseous today, but nothing major. Yesterday did not end up being a FD – my estimate is that I had 6-700 calories, so my current plan (providing the nausea is gone) is to fast Wednesday and Saturday. I have found I need access to either crackers or bread to manage the nausea and I find it very difficult to do a FD that involves these foods. Despite the bread & crackers, my appetite is modest at present, so even if I only manage one FD this week it shouldn’t be a huge problem.

Merry, that’s a really good summary of the different approaches to a FD. I’m a hunger dragon too.

Quacka, hope your B2B goes as planned. That asparagus sounds so nice, I love it grilled too.

Anzac, we’ve all had days that don’t go to plan. No point worrying about the past – just learn from it if you can and start the the next day afresh.

Cali, I love your tubby pants comment – very funny.

Thin, isn’t it interesting how our approach to FDs has changed from the beginning. I remember having both lunch and dinner on FDs and trying not to have milk in my tea to save calories for food – I think that sacrifice lasted about a week!

Cinque, I’m going to have to watch Hugh’s Fat Fight on demand if it’s available as I’ve missed both episodes.

Cate, how are you going with your 3 FDs? I always struggled with extra FDs which didn’t allow me at least 2 NFDs between the fasts. However some people are a bit hardier than me and manage it well.

Have a good day everyone.

LJ, glad your procedure is over and you’re back home. Sounds like you’re reacting to the anesthesia, or maybe a pain killer. I hope the nausea goes away soon and the pathology comes back all clear. Do they use the term “unremarkable” there when they don’t find anything? Sometimes it good to be unremarkable.

Thin, sorry to hear that the trampoline screamers have returned. Maybe talking to the parents about some time considerations would help if you feel comfortable with doing that. 6 am is too early for such nonsense! Even 8:00 am is early. I would definitely be Cranky Pants if I were you. (I call our dog Mr. Growly Face when he growls playing tug of war with his toys.)

Cinque, I can’t watch the videos on ABC, they block them for out of country people. Some licensing thing I guess. I’ll have to see if any of the other streaming services have it here. It looks good from the ads on the website.

Anzac, the novelty doesn’t seem to wear off for most of us. This group here keeps me interested even though we seem to talk about everything under the sun. It’s nice to see new posters here because then we can answer questions about 5:2 again, one of our favorite topics. It becomes a habit and a way of life.

Today was a FD for me. It went well. The hunger dragons stayed away all day.

Good evening all. Ironing…..yuk. My mum used to iron everything except for socks. I usually only have one or two items each week that need ironing so I usually wait until I have quite a few items before I iron, so usually once every 6 weeks or so. Luckily I have lots of clothes to get me through.

I’ve been having a wardrobe cull too. 8 bags in the boot of the car ready to drop off to the op shop. Funnily enough my wardrobe still looks very full.

Building works still progressing but it has been a trying week. Miss D has been unwell and OH received some unwelcome news from some medical tests so we’re off to Adelaide next week for surgery. OH always thinks the worst and is worrying himself sick.

Weight is ever so slowly heading downwards which is pleasing. Hope everyone is traveling well.

GDSA, my OH is a bit like that too. I’m more like LJ – my philosophy is that there’s no point in worrying until you’re actually given some bad news – although you did call it unwelcome news. Best wishes for anyone unwell or undergoing investigations or treatment. Hope you feel good soon LJ. Yes, we say ‘unremarkable’ CalifD. Here’s to everyone here staying unremarkable.

CalifD, thanks for listening to my whinge this morning! I just don’t get how people can generate that much noise pollution in such a quiet neighbourhood. Anyway, after my grumpy pants vent this morning, I had a good walk, saw three dolphins and got on with some projects and believe that early morning carry on was them leaving on trip no. two. How are you coping Lindsay? And is OH OK?

Cinque thanks for the reminder about the ‘Fat Fight’ but, even with the reminder, I still forgot. Hopefully tonight. I’ll start at the beginning. Sorry you can’t watch it CalifD, but I gave you a wonderful recommendation on Netflix to keep you busy – you didn’t report back yet! Was it too bizarre for the CD family? he he.

Good morning everyone

Day after successful B2B and my scales are being very mean this week. Only 100g down from yesterday. I am putting it down to how much salt I had yesterday (nothing salty today and we will see what tomorrow brings)

I managed to have a happy day yesterday even though it didn’t start out so well. One of the girls got to work and didn’t look very happy so I asked her if she was ok. She said that she need a hug so of course I gave her one and then she started crying and told me that her mum just found out the day before that she has breast cancer. 🙁
    Then my best friend (yes the one who was rude lol) told me all about the problems she is still having with her ex and how her kids are having problems with him too.
    I still managed to stay happy myself even though I was sad and concerned for them both.

Merry, thank you for such an inviting invitation to meet up for coffee LOL! I don’t get to Shellharbour very often as I hate shopping but maybe as I lose more weight and clothes shopping becomes fun again I will get up there more often. Will be sure to let you know 🙂
    Also it was interesting what you wrote about the different 5:2 groups. I am definitely a hunger dragon too. As soon as I eat something it sets me off for the day so I delay it until late as possible. Just dinner on a FD is best for me.

Anzac, sometimes my FDs end up around 600 calories too. I am ok with that, knowing it is still so much less than a NFD calories.
    You mentioned that you eat fruit in the morning. I know that if I have any kind of fruit in the morning (FD or not) I am super hungry all day. I’m not sure if it is the natural sugars in it or something else. I’m definitely not telling you what you should and shouldn’t eat, but I just thought you may be interested.

Gday I hope everything is ok with your OH. Also with your OH too Lindsay. (Hope I have got that right, can’t go back a page as I lose what I have written)
    LJoyce hope you are feeling better today

Guess what people! I finally found the SH recipe thread yesterday!! There are some very yummy recipes in there and I might try some on the weekend. I have found another recipe thread before but never our SH one. Thanks to all the posters in there 🙂

I am going to plan some nice healthy meals for this weekend. I am keen to try the cabbage lasagne. I am looking up recipes for dinners that are around 500 calories (or less) and there are so many on the web.

Hi to everyone. Hope you all have an awesome day x

Good morning Quacka and everyone,
    Another gorgeous Melbourne morning, and did you see the big shining moon last night Stunning.

I am super busy and a couple of people close to me have difficult things going on (something in the air, Quacka) so I need to be short here as life has become extra busy. Also my littlest granddaughter is turning 2 tomorrow and I am making a jelly ring AND the birthday cake with Peppa pig on top. I’ll make my famous chocolate porridge cake, to look like a muddy puddle. Delighted to do this, but it means I have a tight timetable.

LJyce I am glad the procedure went well, and I do hope you are feeling fine today, and that the results are good, when you get them.
    Best wishes to everyone else who is dealing with eye operations and OH’s with operations, and ill or recovering from illness, or trying to do Spring cleaning with ME/CFS.

I’ve had a couple of good eating days, and I am fasting today.

Just quickly: Good point about fruit in the morning, it suits most people, but for me it is just like eating something with too much sugar, and sets off the munchies.

I won’t try and write more now, and I might be too busy to write for a few days, but I will keep sending everyone lots of good wishes for Fast Days, and Non Fast Days.
    Best wishes and all good things.

Good morning! FD number three and I’m trying a new approach. It was interesting what you said about fruit Quacka & Cinque so I am going to try and push through until lunch time today. If I feel sick of course I will have something.

I looked back and up until recently I was doing weight watchers; so Saturday mornings would be no breakfast before my 8.30am weigh-in and often I would go shopping or go to my elderly Dads place to help him with stuff straight after weigh-in. Then I might get home somewhere between 10.00 and 12.00 and realise I hadn’t had breakfast so why wasn’t I hungry? Voila! The only thing I’m worried about is it will be very different to be buzzing around the shops versus sitting here at work reading boring technical documents (I’m a business analyst) and having a lot more time to think about food. Let’s see how we go

Hope everyone has a great day 🙂

Good morning SH’ers. I find FD’s much easier if I wait until after 12 at least. Fruit on an empty stomach leaves me very hungry so always have it with some yoghurt. I’m loving the Yoplait, forme no fat, no sugar yoghurt with some fresh strawberries as my FD lunch. Actually, I’m going to have the same today on a NFD as my golf lunch, but with some GF muesli on top.

Good Morning everyone,

Cinque – I hope everything goes as well as it can for your your loved ones, and you take care now. Sending you a hug.

Thin – Hope your your neighbours do lots and lots and lots of holidaying away from home!

Quacka – 🙂 without a sense of humour life is just too dreary. I’ll look forward to meeting you some time in the future.

Day off today for me and I’m ramping up Farnsy on Youtube- need a but if get up and go. And who better than Australia’s favourite son.

penguin and CaliD – I’ll come back with a couple of links later to introduce you to a nugget of Aussie gold.

Check-in: 64.5, so up a little today, no worries.

Anzac, I don’t know if you read my post much higher up the page in response to your having said that you were feeling ‘mega hungry’ on the FD. In it, I mentioned having 30gms of oats with water for breakfast when we first started fasting. I did say I’d added half a tsp of honey (which four years later I couldn’t believe) but, on closer inspection of the spreadsheet, I see that was for my OH not for me. Anyway, for those who feel they need ‘meals’ on FDs, oats are very filling. Nowadays, I wait until 2pm for my first food. Everyone is different and you’ll find out what works best for you. The main thing is to stick with it.

Thanks Merry! Ha ha, me too. Treasuring every precious moment of peace.

Quacka, maybe we can excuse your work BF from her insensitive comments as she’s having a difficult time. Pleased that you like the recipes.

Lindsay, are you OK?

Cinque, I’m fasting with you today. Just like the old days. Hurray. I watched Hugh’s Fat Fight last night. Just the first episode so far. 2/3 of Britons are overweight. The fast food industry has replaced all the little high street shops and all that so-called convenience food lines the supermarket shelves & freezer compartments. People view fresh vegetables as ‘work’. I feel so happy to have found this way of life and to know that I’m not at risk of a range of horrible illnesses.

Three cheers for 5:2. Minimal effort for huge rewards.

Good morning everyone.
    Thanks for the well wishes. I feel a lot better today. So good in fact that I’m going to head out for a walk in the sunshine soon.

Cali, do you get blocked from watching UK tv programs too? I mention this as the program we’ve been discussing, and a lot of the other food/health docos that we get here are actually British and may also be available on their sites too.

GDSA, good work on the clothing cull Hope your OH’s health issues are resolved easily.

Thin, if the neighbours are going away again, enjoy your extra days of peaceful enjoyment.

Quacka, sometimes the scales need a bit of time to catch up with reality and sometimes they stay mean. Hopefully this time will just be a delayed reaction.
    Enjoy experimenting with the recipes. I think in the beginning we all experimented with lots of recipes (which we posted) before settling in to a limited range of FD meals – it’s just easier. I hope you find something that becomes a favourite.

Cinque, I hope the birthday baking goes without a hitch.

Anzac, I hope you find it easy to hold off on food until afternoon. Trying to concentrate is the most difficult thing to do I think when you feel hungry.
    A fruit that I used to find helped me through the morning was strawberries – they have far less sugar and calories than any other fruit and a punnet lasts a long time if you just have one occasionally. I used to wash them and sit them on my desk and snack throughout the day as needed. Together with cups of tea they got me through quite a few hours without eating anything else.

Merry, enjoy your day off, and Barnesy.

Cate, I agree about yoghurt being a good food as your first food for the day.

I decided to go ahead with the FD today. The nausea is pretty much gone so I think I’ll get through it ok.
    OK, time to go and enjoy the outdoors for a while.

Great, so we have (at least) four fasters today. What’s for dinner everyone? I’m having another of my old favourites, 50gms smoked salmon, 80gms steamed asparagus and a poached egg with 1tbs plain yogurt with lime juice & fresh dill for a stately dressing, 195cals.

Thanks everyone, I made it to noon and it was much easier without having anything for breakfast. I then enjoyed (REALLY enjoyed) a thai beef salad that was mostly salad and a small amount of beef. I also had a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce mixed with fresh lime. Yum!

I am re-reading the Fast Diet book as I sped through it the first time and this morning I read ‘The key, then, is to recognize, through patience ad the exercise of will that you can make it through a Fast Day. Bear in mind that fasting subjects regularly report that the food with which they ‘break their fast’ tastes glorious. Flavours sing. Mouthfuls dance’. I agree totally.

I have never been more excited or encouraged about finally losing weight. A lot of this comes from you lovely people and this forum and your successes and ongoing enthusiasm. When I had hunger pangs earlier I pictured myself this Christmas finally looking and feeling so much better and not hiding myself behind lots of huge, loose-fitting clothes.

Dinner tonight is another stir-fry; I need to spend some time looking into other dinners as I will soon be tired of stir-fries.

I don’t eat seafood @thinatlast but I might try your recipe but with chicken breast. It sounds lovely.

Anzac, in time you won’t even notice you’re fasting. Honestly! You’re focussing on it now because it’s new to you. It’s already 1.15pm, I’ve had two cups of coffee with almond & coconut milk and the first of several peppermint teas (using the same bag) and hadn’t even thought about being hungry. Yes, it will be wonderful to be wearing a new top at Christmas showing off your waist. Hold on to that image!

Anzac, well done on getting through until lunch time. You’ll probably find that you continue to learn new things about yourself and food over the coming weeks. Stir fry is one of my FD go-to meals, I hope you enjoy yours.

Thin, my stomach is feeling a little unsettled so I have decided I can’t face the soup I was planning to gave for dinner. I will have a slice of wholemeal sourdough and 2 boiled eggs. I had this for dinner last night so I know my stomach can handle that. Enjoy your smoked salmon – just thinking about that makes me feel queasy!

I only managed a half an hour of walking. The further I went,m the more bloated and uncomfortable my abdomen became, so I had to head for home early. I guess my body is letting me know I have to take things slowly for a few days. So I’m having a lazy afternoon reading.

Hope the fasters are having an easy day.

Oh dear, the mention of smoked salmon has put two out of four fasters off! I think we all know what Cinque’s having for dinner. It’s past 3pm and I’ve just come in for my 2pm soup. Hadn’t even noticed the time.

Thin, I don’t object to smoked salmon normally but I need a very healthy stomach to face any kind of fish. This is not the week!
    And frankly I’ll always prefer fish that’s been hot smoked to the the cold smoking they use for smoked salmon.

I’ve just had the boiled eggs and piece of wholemeal sourdough. Together with the food I ate through the afternoon – a small banana and a rye crispbread – I suspect I’m sitting in the 5-600 range today. I’m not bothered, just glad I got through it despite the nausea returning this afternoon.

LJ – well done on being healthy today, not pushing yourself, and knowing what works for you under different circumstances. You’ve come a long way!👏🏼👏🏼💐

Anzac- well done! You’ve learnt something today and got through till lunch time with no challenges. Yes, this works when nithing else dies- exciting isn’t it? In a couple of weeks you’ll be saying “Well that was easy!” And you’ll look great in that new top at Xmas.👏🏼👏🏼💐

Thin- well you’re the FD Queen, so another perfect fast day to join the other 400 + 👑

Cinque – hope your FD went well even though there was added stress.💐

I’ve bought me self a lovely top, and off to a show now🎭🎼

See you tomorrow FDers.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,401 through 17,450 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.