Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,351 through 17,400 (of 28,011 total)

• You’ve been a humorous lot during my absence at lunch!

Thin, I love the Hark story! and Lindsay I also love ex-mother story.
    Thin, I have a permanent dislike of brunswick green and heritage red. There was an era in the 1990s where every single house sported a colourbond roof and gutters in one of those two colours. If afraid it was used so much I never want to see it on a house again.

Lindsay, I think a snake dropping out of a mango tree would put me off me off mangoes forever.
    Good redirection with the British Racing Green! It won’t change my mind about liking it on houses however – bikes and cars are probably ok.

GDSA, sounds like you had a nice time at the wedding, despite the lack of local seafood. Enjoy getting back into your routine. You might be missing the veggie patch, but I’m sure the renovations will be worth it.

Cinque, I absolutely agree about a little meat going a long way. I can make something with a little mince and masses of veg and it tastes the same as the original recipe made with lots of meat and little veg. I think it’s all in getting the seasonings/flavourings right (and lots of mushrooms). I’ll be testing the family out this Sunday as my lasagne is lots of minced veg and just a little minced beef. The big test will be my great-niece’s boyfriend who “doesn’t do vegetables”. Hopefully he won’t notice the difference.

Cali, I had seen a few recipes for vegan parmesan before, all with similar ingredients to the one you posted. I haven’t actually heard of being able to buy lactic acid. Let us know if it improves the “cheese”.
    I will be sure to post of photo of the veggie plot once it’s planted up. I’m hoping to get it finished tomorrow, depending on how much it rains. I’ll probably also post some photos of it as it grows.

I managed to find some kipfler potatoes from the organic stall in the Central Produce Market. Although I know you aren’t meant to, I am going to use them as seed potatoes. I’ve put them in a paper bag and stashed them in the garage to encourage them to develop eyes. I like kipfler as they are a lower starch waxy potato and will be good as salad potatoes for the summer. They are also one of the more expensive potatoes to buy, so worth the effort to grow. https://www.harrisfarm.com.au/products/potatoes-kipfler-kg

As I’ve mentioned I am hoping to keep 70-75kg as my new comfortable weight range. I haven’t weighed for many weeks and was 75.8kg last time I did. So I decided to bite the bullet and get on the scales this morning. I was 74kg. So within the range but I like to be in the middle of a range to give me a buffer, so I’ll aim to get gradually down by a further 1-2kg. I won’t be doing anything special to encourage this, other than perhaps a controlled NFD each week. As I’ve had a very snacky afternoon (too many goodies purchased at the markets today), tomorrow will be a controlled NFD as I’m not fasting again until Friday.

LJ, before I forget, you were mentioning that in order to put in a drip system you would have to go under cement walkways. Here’s how you do it. I’ve never tried it at this hose but I did it under a not too wide walkway at our last house and it wasn’t too difficult. The clay is heavier here, so not sure how easy it would be. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSGzFeze8dY

Lindsay, that python is beautiful—unless he was slithering on my patio near where I was! I would also worry about our dog who’s about 7 kg. Pythons don’t seem to be native to Calif but I’m reading that there are some both here and in Florida because of people buying them as pets and then releasing them when they get too big.

Good morning everyone

This Friday I have the day off and I have decided to do something I have been contemplating for a while. I am going to fold up all my clothes that are too big and take them into Vinnies. I am never going to fit into them again.
    Yesterday I wore some jeans that I had to pull up all day and I am tired of doing that.
    This 5:2 way of life is awesome but I didn’t realise how much it was going to cost me in $$$$ lol.
    I have no concept of the size I actually am anymore. I bought some undies last week and they are seriously way too big! Obviously I couldn’t try them on first and luckily the 2 pack were only $10 but I can’t wear them!

My weight this morning is down again on last week’s weigh in after FDs. It’s not much but it’s down and soon I am going to break through the 69kg (new scale). I’m only 200g off. Yay!!

Hope you all have a lovely day and a nice fasty FD if that’s what you are doing xx

Quacka, what a fun activity today. Very special. Haha, yes, we can say that 5:2 doesn’t cost anything, but the clothes, the clothes!

The python is magnificent Lindsay. And what a smart granddaughter, she got it right. I laughed too.

I had such a good time with my sisters, and a good dinner at Noodle Kingdom, eating all our favourites (and fast day today).

Cali, I agree about the huge garden pots, mine sit on black plastic and white pebbles that they suffocated the ground with years ago (my selfsown parsley is gradually pulling it apart though 😉 )

I hadn’t heard of Salisbury steak either, a very U.S. thing! Don’t we learn a lot here.

Thin, thanks re my amazing nephew. And here is a picture of my beet kvass, and the new (opshop) decanter I bought to store it in. https://imgur.com/a/WHfxmzX It is even darker than the picture shows.

You are such an excellent 5:2 ambassador! Congrats to the bridge lady! And Hark, the herald angel, is so wonderful!

LJoyce, you are making me hungry for lasagne (not even 9am on a fast day 😉 )
    Good luck with your kipflers, Well worth growing! Nice job on the scales too!

Well, now I poured the kvass for the photo, I might sip it through the morning. Very elegant!

Best wishes to everyone, I hope it is a wonderful 5:2ey day!

FD for me today. First one in quite awhile. Will hold off until 2pm before I have my 2 x hard boiled duck eggs and a glass of kefir which will be it for the day. I had time for food shopping when I returned home yesterday but no time to prepare the salad greens etc which I will do tonight in readiness for lunch for the remainder of the working week.

We talk about such a range of topics here but it’s the stories of accepting our new weight and disposing of the large sized clothing that I love the best. So well done Quacka. “I am never going to fit into them again.” When I was losing, I usually held on to one size above where I was ‘just in case’. It took a long time to accept that I was never going back. The best part about buying clothes for the new weight is that we can buy clothes that actually look and feel good – rather than grabbing something that just covers up all the bulges.

LJ, you too. I think it can be easier to drop a couple of kgs than to maintain a weight so I bet that extra weight will come off easily for you. It doesn’t really matter how long it takes.

Thanks for the photo Cinque. That looks magnificent! The decanter is perfect for the job too. And that looks a very comfy seating arrangement.

I forgot to ask you Cinque, the other day I soaked mung beans overnight for the mung bean soup. After 20 hours, only half of them had doubled in size. It was a new packet. The recipe doesn’t say to soak them so I cooked them anyway and it was fine. But do you know why this should happen?

FD for me. I have leftovers from Sunday’s fast so I just have to come up with something for the OFMs.

“Doesn’t do vegetables”. I laughed at that LJ. He’ll learn. I guess there’s no room over dinner for a gut health conversation LOL. My DS and DD are experts at masking veges – with little ones sometimes it’s the only way to get them incorporated. Actually I find they will eat things they pick from the garden. The little GD loves eating the cumquats in the pot in the courtyard…..’I love these little tumtwats’, she lisps. Odd child.
    FD yesterday, and after going up a kilo (!) I am now down 1.7. So just 2 to go to get to my pre-holiday weight (which was a bit artificially low after only having one meal mid-afternoon on the day before I travelled, so I could have breakfast in the Qantas Club before flying on the dreaded Jetstar, and thus avoiding their carb laden, fat laden meals).
    Another FD today and then I’ll see how I go tomorrow. I have some sourdough bread and some tuna for lunch today which is more calories and carbs that I wanted, but I’m not really prepared because I haven’t shopped since we got back. More frozen fish and steamed veges tonight.
    Duck eggs Gday? I’ve never tried them. Is the taste similar to chicken eggs?
    Calif I saw a story on the news recently about seriously huge pythons in Florida that have been released, as you say. The illustration had three people holding one. I’ll see if I can find it … I think it was ABC online.
    Quacka, good decision to move your ‘too big’ clothes to someone who can use them. Your wardrobe will feel lighter because you are. And you’ll create room for new beautiful things. 🙂
    Cinque that beetroot drink looks spectacularly tempting – I think I will try to make some. Is the recipe over on the page that has such things? Cate we could drink it and pretend it’s red wine (I too am seriously restricting my alcohol intake).
    Good day all

Cinque, that beet kvass and decanter are so lovely! I like the glass too. Great opshop find. I bought a gravy container (gravy boat) at the one here this weekend. The oneI have is nice, but it doesn’t hold much gravy. The “new” one is quite a bit larger. It will be nice over the holidays if we have a big group for dinner. I’ll be able to use both.
    Congrats to your nephew on beginning his new studies!

Quacka, opshops are a great place to buy clothes, both while you’re losing and after. The thinner you get, the greater the selection. I bought several pairs of jeans and slacks in small sizes over the past year. Many look like they were never worn. Cinque got me started going there about a ear ago with her photos of cute outfits she found. Now I go almost every other week, or sometimes more often. I don’t always find what I’m looking for, but I usually find something. And most of the jeans are nicer brands than I usually buy. At under $5 per pair, it’s hard to resist. All of my big sizes are stored in a plastic box in the attic. I haven’t taken them to the opshop yet, but soon…

Here’s an article on lactic acid: https://www.livestrong.com/article/322340-what-foods-contain-lactic-acid/ Mine should arrive on Thursday. It’s a dried powder.

Lindsay, that is one big python from the Florida Everglades! Scary big!

Good morning all.

Cali, thanks for the clip, and for trying to find a solution. The advantage that guy had is that either side of the concrete he had dirt. Unfortunately I don’t have that layout as I only have dirt on one side. This is where my 2 outdoor taps are in the backyard: https://imgur.com/a/sZVkn57 Both are actually attached to the wall of the house. One is 6 metres of concrete from the garden bed and the other about 2m. The only way of getting closer to the dirt would be to take a pipe up and around the eaves, but it would still only get me 1m from the dirt as the entire house is surrounded by a concrete path without any gaps. At some point I’d still have to cut a channel in the concrete to put a pipe in and then replace the concrete. If it bothers me enough I would get a plumber to do this – I actually had to get this done at my previous home to get new water pipes installed from the mains to the house.

Quacka, while you are at Vinnies dropping off clothing, why not look at the racks of small size clothing and find some new things for your wardrobe. There are plenty of people with the opposite problem who’ve donated clothing they can’t into – I often find things with the tags still on! It stops the weight loss causing too big a hit to the clothing budget.
    As Cali also mentioned it can be quite fun looking through the “thin” clothes in the second hand shops and I also find that there are usually things look nice and are still in excellent condition. Another tip is to shop at the op shops in the higher socioeconomic areas if you are looking for designer brands. I have some second hand designer garments that I could never have afforded new. In fact the quality of most of my second hand garments is better than I can usually buy new. I also find that the low cost makes the decisions easier as it’s low risk. If I make a mistake then I simply re-donate it on the assumption that the charity can make good use of the money.
    This is also an economical way of dealing with clothing for that transition weight as you get down to goal. The clothes that fit now may still be a size too big when you get to goal, so it’s wise not to spend much on them as you’ll only need them for a few months.

Cinque, lovely photo, it looks like a special wine!

Thin, as long as I stay active I think the weight loss will happen. It’s when I spend too much time sitting that I struggle to manage my limited TDEE, even with 2 FDs. I have the same issue with mung beans, and I do always soak them first. They seem to have a particularly thick skin and can take up to 3 days of soaking in cold water to get them all swollen. If you start with boiling water then overnight is usually enough. I have even sometimes put them on the stove and boiled for 5 minutes and them put the saucepan aside with the lid on overnight – that method is fail proof, they’ll all be plump in the morning. I find adzuki beans also have skins that resist absorbing water.

Lindsay, your GD is doing well with the ‘tumtwats’, I personally find them a bit sour to eat raw. I’ve only ever used them for marmalade.
    Hope you get your shopping done soon. I also find that without the time to plan and shop for food my diet becomes full of compromises that aren’t ideal.
    I didn’t open the python link, I’ve think I’ve reached my snake limit for a while.

Time I went back to the garden, it’s planting day today!

Lindsay, I will never again be able to look at a kumquat and not think “tumtwat”.😁😂

Thin, I’ve used LJ’s method of boiling beans for 5 minutes and then letting them soak until they cool. For ordinary beans like kidney or white beans, this is usually enough to make them ready for cookingright away, once cooled. Pressure cookers work well for ordinary beans without any soaking. I wonder if an overnight soak and then pressure cooking would work for the mung beans?

LJ, I see what you mean about the walkways and trying to set up a drip system. That would be difficult without getting a plumber involved. I’d probably hand water and see how it goes. You could always hire a plumber later if you got tired of watering.

My weight was 59.1 this morning after yesterday’s FD. My 1 kg bounce again. 😗

Hello….I’m new and on my first FD today. I’m in Sydney and have battled with my weight all my life. I have been researching and bought the Fast Diet book on Monday. This forum seems very supportive and I am looking forward to sharing this journey with you all

Welcome Anzac. You are joining a group of like minded souls. Many of us have battled the same issues you have, and have found this way of life sustainable and achievable. Many have reached their target and kept it for a very long time. Others (like me) are still on their way.
    You are right – this is a very supportive forum filled with good advice, friendship and humour. Looking forward to hearing how your first FD went.

Hi Anzac65, welcome to the Southern Hemisphereites. I think we all started with hope and trepidation. But we’re still here! If you have questions please ask. And good luck for your first fast day.

Cali, I had to call the plumber sooner than I thought. I decided to turn the soil over once more with a garden fork before planting. I put the garden fork through the rain water pipe this morning! (This is the pipe that delivers the rain water from the gutters and down pipes to the rain water tank, which is connected to the house to flush the toilets. So I have turned off the tap on the tank. The plumber is coming this afternoon to fix the hole that I’ve created. Once he’s made the repair, I’ve decided to cover that area over with the bark mulch and not plant there again. That pipe is so close to the surface that it’s too risky. (I had planned to just put lettuce there as it’s shallow rooted, but I can’t take the chance that I’ll forget again and put another hole in the pipe.)
    You should have seem me putting the wooden stakes in for the climbing legumes & cucumbers – I know the pipes in that area are much further down, but I still pushed them in by hand an inch at time with great trepidation – didn’t hit anything this time!
    I’m even considering that my future planting plans may need to involve raised beds so that there’s more of gap between the pipes and my garden tools!

Cali, I hope you aren’t worried about your weight changing by a kilo between FDs and NFDs. For many people a fluctuation of 1-2kg over a week in not uncommon – and that’s for people who eat normally every day – no fasting. Some people seem to maintain a really steady weight and others fluctuate a lot. I suspect it depends on how things like inflammation, fluid retention, hormone fluctuations etc impact people. Before I reached menopause, there was one week each month where my weight always went up by at least 2kg. It stayed up for a week and then disappeared again within a day.
    I’ve always been prone to dramatic weight fluctuations that often have have little to do with what I’m eating and my body fat – it’s one of the reasons I allow myself such a large maintenance weight range.

Welcome Anzac65. How did your FD go? Please feel free to jump into any of the conversations. As you can see, we get a little off topic sometimes, but we’re always happy to answer questions and we all love the 5:2 way of eating.

LJ, you’d think there would be some building code or something that would require them to bury water and fuel lines at a certain depth to prevent gardeners from hitting them. You could just put some kind of semi-permanently marker in the ground where that pipe is, so you know it’s there but could still plant lettuce or other shallow rooted things in the area. It’s a shame to waste the space after all of your hard prep work. Raised beds would be another solution. They’re nice but take a lot of work and soil to set up.
    I don’t worry about the 1 kg fluctuations because it’s been going this way for several months. There are big fluctuations between what I eat between FD and NFD. Too much snacking on NFD! I think I’d like to lose 1 more pound and then bounce from there. 😁

OH and I had lunch on the way back from his optometrist’s office this afternoon and he ordered a veggie burger and fries. Without any prompting from me. He seems to be taking his doctor’s suggestion seriously. It was huge, and had lettuce and tomato slices on it. He said it was good. I had a big salad with a veggie burger crumbled on the top. There were also some lentils, avocado slices, julienned carrots with hot sauce of some sort and tomatoes. There was a dressing on the side made with tahini, lemon juice and some sort herbs. It was actually very good.

Well I’ve done as much as I can on the veggie garden until the plumber gets here and fixed the pipe.
    I promised some photos, although as there are tiny seedlings or seeds and lots of stray around them I’m not sure you can see much yet – except all the frames I built. I’ve completely encased the southern and eastern sides of the veggie plot with climbing frames for the legumes & cucumbers. https://imgur.com/a/SPu3zqu There’s also a photo of the pipe that my garden fork found. I’ve planted everything except the herbs and leafy greens, as they need to go into the bed with the damaged pipe. I can’t plant that bed until the plumber has finished the repair. As this bed is now going to be smaller than planned, I’ve decided to use a styrofoam box to grow the micro green in – baby spinach and beetroot leaves. That should mean I have enough space in the garden bed for the larger greens and herbs.

For no particular reason I also took a photo of my afternoon tea: a small bow of fruit (4 strawberries and 1 kiwifruit), I just through the colours were pretty. https://imgur.com/CPMMMVu Still an hour before I expect the plumber, so I have time for a leisurely cuppa.

Cali, There is a building code, but the depth requirements are for power cables and mains water pipes. Glad to hear you had a lovely lunch. Hope the eye troubles aren’t spreading to other family members.

Welcome Anzac, I’m fasting with you today. It might be my 450th FD or thereabouts! So yes, I’m one of those that they can’t get rid of despite reaching my goal weight over 3 years ago with this amazing way of eating. So pleased you got the book. It’s always good to understand the basics and, later, the book is useful to refer back to and remind ourselves of the science behind the fasting.

I normally don’t eat anything before 2pm on a FD but, today, I was feeling slightly peckish around 1.30pm so went outside to do some gardening to take my mind off that. I got lost out there in the garden, forgot about the hunger, and have just come in to find it’s 3pm. Lesson One: hunger comes and goes and can easily be distracted.

LJ, good to see that you’re still supporting the strawberry industry after the wanton sabotage. OH and I have been checking our sprinklers as the rain has finally come to an end it seems. We have a large verge garden (native plants and shrubs) which I won from the shire years ago for organising and hosting a neighbourhood event. All that lawn seemed a bit silly in our harsh Perth climate and the native verge garden requires almost no water – but of course our system is still in place out there; we programme that section for just a couple of minutes on watering days. Anyway, I’m mentioning it now because we have just planted some veg. concealed amongst the shrubs. I’m keen to see if the sweet potatoes survive.

Quacka, I was so excited to reach size 14 that I bought too many new clothes but passed through that size before I barely had time to wear any of them. As they were new, I was reluctant to hand them straight over to the op shops and eventually resorted to selling on gumtree to dispose of them. At size 14, I never dreamed I’d eventually be size 10. Exercise buying caution!

CalifD, my weight goes up and down around a kg during a week too. Not always the day after a FD like yours, but definitely between FDs and NFDs. I’m happy today because I woke to 60.2kg on a FD which means 59.something tomorrow or Friday. Whether I can stay down where you are now depends almost solely on whether we have meals out. And, when we do, it takes weeks to knock off that last half kilo. Which is why I know I have to remain vigilant forever. Almost all my snacking is now confined to teaspoonfuls of kefir and various nuts, both of which are satiating and taken in small quantities.

Hey, hurray for Mr CD’s good food choices. And all by himself too. Now if he can just ditch the french fries!

I watched a depressing doco last night on the struggle to get euthanasia legalised on SBS on Demand (for humans, not pets). I knew that we’d had assisted suicide in the NT for 8 months back in 1996 but didn’t realise that it will be legal in Victoria from next year. (Anzac, my job is to bring up all the confronting topics on this thread. Feel free to skip by.)

Must eat that soup now.

Good morning everyone

Welcome Anzac65. Hope your first FD went well.

It’s a NFD for me today. Just wanted to welcome Anzac and wish you all a happy day x

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.

Well I made it through day 1 and it was nowhere near as hard as I imagined. I was ready to chew my own arm off at around 3.00pm but I remembered what the book said about hunger waning – just as you said too @thinatlast. And it did! DH, ever supportive despite 25 years of watching me fail diet after diet, had my veges chopped and chicken breast steamed ready for my stir fry when I got home from work and I have never enjoyed one more 😀

I have been reading back through this thread and am very encouraged by your collective successes. Very much looking forward to hearing more and learning more

Congratulations on a successful first FD Anzac – were you rewarded on the scales? Or are you not a daily weigher? How much weight do you hope to lose? How are you feeling this morning? I tend not to be hungry at all on the morning after a FD and, although I enjoy two wonderfully fresh frothy coffees, I rarely eat before 11am or noon. Have a great day all.

I am a daily weigher normally but I didn’t bother this morning as I am, er, a bit clogged up. Am going to buy some psyllium husk at lunch time.

I was very surprised that I wasn’t hungry this morning but I ate breakfast at the normal time. Normally I still feel hungry after but today I don’t so that is a very good thing 🙂

I need to understand a bit more about NFD. I speed-read the book so need to go back and concentrate as I am not sure how to approach NFD. It said to ‘eat normally’ and I presume that if I eat the amount that would normally maintain my weight then I will hopefully lose about 0.5kg per week doing the FD’s. I wouldn’t mind losing a bit more than that so I might try to cut back a bit on NFD’s but not to the point where I feel like I am dieting all the time (thus going against the whole concept of the Fast Diet – correct?)

Anzac, you’re correct. I would try to eat as you have on NFDs. Over time, I found the FDs naturally shaped my eating behaviours rwt portion control and the foods I chose to eat. No conscious effort was required on part. I think this is why I have been able to sustain it for over 4 years.

I’ll leave it to others to comment on how they fared with tweaking NFDs, adding an extra FD and so on – I’m a ‘naked 5:2’ girl!

*sorry, s/b on my part.

Hi, SH’s & a big welcome to Anzac65 🙂 I’ll leave the others to answer your question as I am a newbie too. I do see the Fast Diet that way though & that is why I like it. I only feel like I am dieting 2 days a week.
    I have been away for a few days & then busy with an AGM & playing golf, so will try to catch up. I started addressing everyone individually but will have to abandon as my husband just rang & needs me to head out to the golf course.
    I had a wonderful weekend in Hobart & played golf on Sunday, but also saw our son each day. I didn’t over-eat at all & am doing a FD today & hopefully B2B tomorrow. I had better scoot. I feel much lighter but won’t weigh until Saturday.

Good morning, it is a beautiful, still, sunny day here in Melbourne.

Welcome Anzac,
    Congratulations on your first Fast Day and you first lovely morning-after-Fast-Day. I bet those frothy coffees taste especially delicious.

Gday, congratulations to you on your first Fast Day for a while, I hope it was a lovely one! Duck eggs and kefir sound gourmet!

Thin, mung beans, adzuki and urad are all related and they must have particularly tough skins so that room temperature water might not get through to soak into the middles. I had a similar experience just after the first time it happened to you, and since then I have soaked them by pouring boiling water over them and then leaving them overnight, as LJoyce also suggests. It does the trick.

Enjoy your morning after fast day!

Lindsay, I think I will be calling them tumtwats as well. So cute. My daughter used to say “Shlokit!’ with such relish, whenever she saw chocolate, that we still sometimes call it that!

I hope you feel great today after your back to back fast days, and pretty much back to normal.
    OMG that python!

I will put the beet kvass recipe in the Southern Hemisphere Recipes thread. It comes from Minka who is more experienced in making it than I am, so do check what I write Minka and qualify or correct! But it is a lot easier than I thought it would be.

The decanter was one of my happy Op Shop finds! As you probably guessed Cali!
    Your new gravy boat sounds perfect.
    Interesting article about lactic acid. All my fermented things (yoghurt, kimchi and beet kvass) contain it (naturally).

LJoyce, how frustrating to have that pesky, easily pierced pipe in the way of your garden fork. I hope it is fixed now. Hopefully the garden soil will keep building up over time and the garden will be further and further above the other pipes.

Lovely fruit and nice to see, with the strawberries, that you are cutting them up and not cutting them out!

Thin, I grew some sweet potatoes last year. It was almost by accident as I had one sprouting, and I had my biggest pot empty at the time. I had a go at cooking the leaves too (which was okay but I can’t even remember how they tasted, I only cooked a few, nervously). I got a fair few small sweet potatoes out at the end, although a some had rot spots. But I did enjoy the good bits! I bet yours will be happier in the ground.

Talking of SBS documentaries this https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2018/09/17/heres-why-frozen-meals-are-low-calories-are-so-damaging-our-waistlines Fat Fight’ was on Monday night, and there were really interesting bits among the bits I already knew. It is a series of three programs so I am looking forward to the next two.

And talking of how weight can go up and down by a couple of kilograms at any old time…. well, that is why I don’t have scales in the house! 😉 Too annoying!

Oh well, the morning is rolling past. I am still recovering from sociable Tuesday so I am moving slowly and I need to cook and write today and babysit darling granddaughters this evening. Off I go!

Cheers all 🙂

Hi Cate! You are golf mad! Have a great day!

Ok anyone interested: Here is the link for making Beet Kvass
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/page/2/#post-266237

Thanks for the info on the mung bean boiling Cinque, also LJ I forgot to thank you for suggesting the same thing yesterday. You told me before (Cinque) that they took extra long to expand but it seemed odd that half had complied. I saw some of that ‘Fat Fight’ with Hugh Something-Something and enjoyed it.

Your mention of using sweet potato leaves reminded me of an article that I read yesterday. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45474563

Off to bridge – and hoping my partner and I can maintain our surprising position of 1st from Monday’s session – highly unlikely I should think!

Hi, Cinque. You’re right. I am golf mad- well, mad anyway 😃 That beetroot kvass looks scrumptious.

Thanks for the recipe Cinque. I am going to have a crack at it over the weekend. I don’t have a nice decanter – but I guess a glass jug would be okay (if not as elegant).
    I love how the little ones’ mispronunciations become part of our lexicon. Charming. (and a much nicer way of saying chocolate). My friend’s little girl (now married with children herself) used to say ‘I’ve changed up my mind’, and for years her parents have routinely said it too, without a thought. This is the same little girl, btw, who, when told she couldn’t wear her party dress to kindy, told my friend, ‘well, if you don’t let me wear my pretty dress, I am going to tell Miss Lindy and Miss Rachel (kindy teachers) that you’ve been to Jenny Craig. And it didn’t work! Needless to say, she wore her party dress.
    I’m on day 3 FD: down 300 grams this morning which was a bit disappointing, but a solid loss on day one. Water weight probably, but nice to see on the scales. I’m struggling a bit today – I had to take some sourdough bread and tinned fish to work, along with an apple, so I won’t have too many calories left for dinner. More fish and vegetables I guess. I’m not working tomorrow so I’ll hit the shops and stock up.

Good afternoon all.
    I have a brief respite before heading off for baby sitting duties (and their dog, who apparently had day surgery). Time to catch up with some of my favourite people.

Thin & Cinque, Mung and adzuki are the beans most used in southern asia. I think that their skins are intended to make them watertight (hence their resistance to being soaked). I think the ones that soak fast have some tiny damage to their skins which allows the water to penetrate. (You can get split mung beans and they soak in an hour.) I suspect that these beans have this feature due to the humid climate in which they commonly grow. They may be hard to dry and store otherwise, most other legumes come from drier climates. Not sure if this is what’s actually going on with these beans, but it’s the only logical explanation that I could think of.

Cate, glad you got to spend time with your son while in Hobart. It didn’t take you long to get back to gold. Given how many steps you do on a golfing day I’m sure it’s keeping you fit.

Hi Quacka, enjoy your NFD.

Lindsay, now there’s a child who learned how to use blackmail early!
    My cousin’s grandaughter refused to go anywhere without a tulle tutu skirt for about 18 months. Didn’t matter what else she was wearing, there was always a layer of frothy tulle over the top.

Anzac, I do have a few things to say about NFDs as I struggled with them when I was losing weight. In the book it says ‘eat normally’, but the book was written by two people who were not obese, in fact I don’t think either of them was even technically “overweight” when they did 5:2 and wrote the book. So their idea of normal may be fine, and another person’s normal may be twice as many calories as they need. So ‘eat normally’ is fine if you aren’t someone who overeats. As Thin says, sticking with your normal food choices is fine, you may find (as most of us have) that this changes over time as we start to focus more on finding healthier choices. Initially getting the FDs right is the most important thing.

It is worth understanding your TDEE. This website explains this and provides a calculator: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ You need to underestimate your activity level as it seems to allocate overly generous uplift factors for this. I would suggest you calculate your TDEE for your current weight and also for your goal weight.
    You will have two figures:
    BMR – basic daily calories you need if you are bed/chair bound 24hrs a day;
    TDEE – the daily calories you need to maintain the weight you specified. This will vary depending on your gender, height, weight, age and activity level. As you lose weight your TDEE will keep going down.
    Many of us found it helpful to understand our TDEE for our goal weight and to try and eat at about that level on NFDs. You don’t have to count calories every day, just work it out roughly for a few “normal” days so you know if you are in the right ballpark with your portions.
    I found the TDEE challenging as it showed me just how much I often overate. I did need to change my NFD eating to lose weight and to maintain the weight loss. Although it took many months to make those changes, I am very happy with what my eating pattern is these days. I’ve continued with the 2 FDs in maintenance as it gives me a bit of leeway with my NFDs.

Time for me to get organised to leave now.
    Hope everyone is having a good day.

Anzac, good advice from LJoyce and thin on NFD. And thin is right about normal eating often changing naturally after getting used to fasting twice a week. I, like many others used to fear missing meals. “I better eat before we leave even if it’s early and I’m not hungry because maybe there won’t be any place to have lunch until much later and I’ll be starving.” After getting through a number of fast days n precious little food, you realize that hunger comes and goes, it doesn’t keep getting worse throughout the day. Pretty soon you barely think about it, because you have your FD routines and most of the time you aren’t even thinking about food, you know what you’re going to eat on those days and when. You never die of starvation. 😁 So on NFD, eating late because you’re busy, or missing a meal doesn’t bother you that much.

Also, I learned to get the most bang for the buck on 500 calories and found that eating a huge bowl of vegetables is really filling, but not a lot of calories. Or that non-creamy soups are filling and low in calories as well. Those eating habits tend to extend into NFD as well. Rather than eating “normally” on NFD, I tried to eat mindfully. Now that I reached my goal and am in maintenance, I still do my 2 500 calorie FDs, but I eat a little less mindfully on NFD. It works well for me. I plan to continue indefinitely.

LJ, I can’t believe how much you’ve accomplished in your garden in just the last week, with all the soil preparation and climbing frames. I can’t wait to see them start growing! I love the big water collection tanks. Do you get enough rain to fill them over the winter? You have pretty dry summers, like we do, right? This part of California rarely has rain in the summer, but lots in the winter. Usually. We had several years of drought a few years ago.

I made that Salisbury steak (vegan version) tonight. I should have gone with my gut feeling that a whole cup of vital wheat gluten was too much. The texture just wasn’t right. I hate to throw things out, but these were really bad. But I plan to experiment with the lentils and a much smaller amount of gluten. I still think it’s a good binder for the lentil or other legumes partially mashed, to come out with some approximation of minced beef.

The lactic acid powder arrived today and I added a very small amount to my ground cashew, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt mixture to mimic Parmesan cheese. It didn’t have quite that musty favor of real Parmesan, but the lactic acid gave it that bite that it needed without adding other flavors. Anyone have any ideas beside the nutritional yeast? Wet cheeses are a little easier. I made some cheese spread once that tasted remarkably like smoked Gouda, using rejuvelac. Has anyone here ever made it? I had completely forgotten about it. I made a few batches some years ago to add to vegan cheeses. https://www.superfoodevolution.com/rejuvelac.html

I just read the news article about the strawberries in Australia. I hope the penalties are harsh when the catch the responsible parties. Tampering with food is inexcusable.

And now I don’t feel so bad about my untaught spelling errors on this thread (sometimes cause by auto-finish)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45572275
    I loved the airline’s response on a Twitter:

@cathaypacific
    Oops this special livery won’t last long! She’s going back to the shop!
    (Source: HKADB)
    😁

Hello SH

Just a few quick lines to stay in touch. I am busy wrapping up things before my eye surgery the end of next week.

RE: 5:2 diet: Fasting days are turning out to be quite educational. I am un-learning some former wrong thinking about eating. (1) I need to re-process how I respond to craving that “mysterious something” because I’m discovering there is a big difference between actual hunger and craving. Most of the time my craving is not a healthy thing. (2) I do not need to avoid or fear feeling hunger. Even on non-fast days, it is okay and natural for my body to feel hungry between meals. I took a lesson from my friend’s baby who does not cry for more food until he is truly hungry. And his mom knows if he cries shortly after eating to check for other causes. Generally, in my adult body hunger actually fades over time. (3) When I eat is important. Grazing throughout the day on a steady stream of mini-meals or snacks is unhealthy for me. I bought into that theory at my own peril. Grazing throughout the day so I never experience true hunger was neither healthy nor natural for my body. (4) Be honest about how much I actually eat. I chuckled when I saw a slogan that went something like this: “No matter what you record in your journal, your body keeps an accurate calorie count.”

RE: Yes, we have issues with invasive species brought into Florida USA. Burmese Pythons have become a such problem that our animal control has set up a hunting program. Pythons are killing off our natural animals and upsetting the food chain of native animals. Lionfish are another invasive species. They were brought here as an interesting aquarium fish but have been set loose in our waters. With no natural predators here, they have created problems. We now have Lionfish Derbies to try to help control them. One interesting situation is escaped pet parrots and other exotic birds. Although not native, many now color our landscape. However, I have heard no issues related to the exotic birds.

Meanwhile, Florida already had a large number of colorful native birds. After we moved here nine years ago I saw my first large, bright pink, adult Rosate Spoonbill. When I told my husband what I had seen came I prefaced my description by saying, “I am not hallucinating, but I just saw this huge, bright pink bird that flew off when it saw me.” Now we are used to seeing them on the golf courses, but that first sight was stunning. We have set up bird feeders for the smaller birds and I’ve become an avid bird watcher here.

RE: weight loss. Slow is okay. I continue to lose slowly and steadily. I have lost one clothing size and recently donated my largest size clothes. I had three sizes of clothing in my closet. Now it has only two sizes of clothing in it and it is much easier to find things! Since I am not losing rapidly, it was a perk to get into my next size down and donate those items. Maybe some of you have lost the same way, and that is truly okay.

Hi Anzac65,
    I am also fairly new and enjoy this group so much. I think you will also.

Rainbow, here’s an interesting video about fishing for lion fish for restaurants in a Florida. They are apparently a very good tasting fish. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJQnm_qC14

Is that a fish you have in Australia?

FD for me today.

Hi CalifDreamer,

I enjoyed the lion fish video. Here on the central west coast the popular local catch are red snapper and grouper. So far I have not seen lion fish featured on a local menu, so I think I will ask about it.

Good morning everyone 🙂

I have just had my first cup of tea for the day, with almond milk of course, after returning from an hour long walk. I have to admit I have been very unmotivated for exercise and honestly haven’t been intentionally doing any at all. I have found every excuse to not go walking including that it’s cold, my dog is no longer here and that I don’t need to because I am losing weight anyway. These are just a few of them!
    I feel really good after a walk and I find my back really loosens up so hopefully I can keep at it.

Rainbow I love what you wrote about the things you have learned and unlearned from doing FDs. It has been very similar for me. I have lost weight slowly also but I know that in my case I have sabotaged it often. I gave up for almost three months last year Nov-Jan. I had lost a fair bit of weight already and thought it would be ok if I just went back to eating and drinking whatever I liked. I realise now that was not good for me. This year when it comes to my birthday (Nov) and the Christmas holidays I am going to try and do my FDs anyway, I will be happy even if I maintain my weight rather than put any on.
    I am losing weight slowly still but I remember that it took many years to put this weight on so however slowly it comes off is fine with me, as long as it is coming off.

Today is my day off. I am going to sort my clothes out and get rid of the ones I can no longer wear as they are too big. When I take them in to the Op shop I think I will have a look in there and see if there is anything I like.
    When I was bigger I hated shopping for clothes as I didn’t like the way I looked in them and also that they wouldn’t fit me. Now I am smaller I still have trouble shopping for clothes, but this time it’s because I have no idea of the size that I actually am. I mean, I still see myself as a big person even though I am not anymore. It’s hard to explain.

Regarding the Lion fish I think we do have them in Australia but I have never caught one.

Anyway enough of my rambling.

Have a lovely FD Cali and anyone else fasting too. Hope everyone has a lovely day. X

Quacka, I totally understand the body image confusion. For some time after reaching goal weight, I continued to take the ‘large’ and ‘medium’ sized clothing into the dressing room when buying new clothes. When I fit into the ‘small’, I thought it must be because the sizing was incorrect. I’d also see a slim stranger coming towards me in a shop window reflection and take a second to recognise that the stranger was me.

After three years at this size, I have changed my thinking completely. It’s no longer that I lost a whole lot of weight. Instead, I am at the weight that I am supposed to be. People who didn’t know me when I was fat occasionally make comments about my weight (a medical specialist, for example, commenting that I’m not overweight so that’s not a risk factor) – and I no longer feel I have to qualify it with ‘yes I lost 25 kgs’ to let them know that I was fat. I am a thin person.

Rainbow, I, too, had several dress sizes in my closet for years. From 12-18. It was lots of fun fitting back into clothing after many years – DD said I looked like I’d been time travelling when I started to wear some of my ‘vintage’ dresses. But the best thing was being able to zip up my wedding dress (with me in it).

Regarding the constant snacking and grazing, this is some nonsense put out by food manufacturers. I see it as my job to resist their efforts and fight back. If a supermarket places some sugary rubbish at the entrance like hot x buns, I make it my business not to buy it. As Dr M. says, constant grazing would be fine if we didn’t eat meals. I’ve spent time with the san bushmen in Namibia who eat like this. They are constantly moving as they hunt for and gather food. It’s not quite the same when we move from the couch to the pantry to hunt for food.

CalifD, I chuckled about your fasting to accommodate the other indulgences during the week. I’m at a comfortable low today so, yes, we have to sabotage that with an Indian meal out tonight. At least I know how to limit the damage now. No alcohol, appetisers, bread, rice or dessert.

Have a great day all.

I love the conversations in here. I can honestly say that after 2 months I now understand how everyone feels doing 5:2. My weight is dropping, my hunger is manageable, my appetite has dropped considerably & I now look forward to my next FD. Thank you all, for helping me to stick with this. It has been your posts that have made me determined to stick with it. With 3 days away & only 1 FD I have lost half a kilo this week. I’m happy with that.
    I had decided before I went to bed last night that I wouldn’t do B2B today, but regretted saying anything when my LH cooked me eggs & avo on oat toast. I felt over-full just looking at it. I’m going to have a light day & then fast tomorrow, even though we have a dinner out tomorrow night.

Wow, thanks everyone for taking the time to help me understand NFD’s. I’ve calculated my TDEE and will now put a few sample days together to calculate calories and get a rough idea of how much and what I should be eating.

I am a chronic over-eater and grazer and I know I often feel ‘hungry’ when really it is a craving or I just want something tasty. I also love to cook, as does my husband (who is not overweight) so putting healthy meals together is something we love to do. I just have to watch my portion sizes and stop the thoughtless munching in between. I’ve already found from just one FD that today when I felt that ‘hungry’ feeling I analysed it and realized that it wasn’t.

Thanks again, this forum is awesome.

Hello all and welcome to the new posters. Was going to be a FD for me today but I had a terrible nights sleep last night and I feel unwell today so I will postpone for

The building works at home are progressing nicely and it looks like they will be pouring the concrete for the shed floor today.

Was going to write more but I really don’t feel up to it. Hoping tomorrow will be a better day

Hi everyone,
    I’ve been a bit haphazard in the timing of my posts this week and that’s likely to continue for a few days due to to visitors arriving on the weekend and staying with me until Tuesday. My first overnight house guests in this new house!

Rainbow, I completely agree with your list of the lessons learned while doing 5:2. Particularly the difference between hunger and cravings. I suspect every one of us had to learn that lesson. It was definitely a learning experience for me.
    If you keep talking about the colourful birds that visit you in Florida you’ll have Cali moving down your way! She had a particular affinity for our feathered friends.

Cali, despite the damage done to our strawberry industry, I suspect there really only was one farm where a small amount of genuine tampering occurred. The rest, I believe, is fame obsessed people who spiked their own fruit (both strawberries and other fruit too now) in an effort to get their face on tv or social media, and perhaps get the chance to sue someone. And perhaps a few crazies who spiked fruit in their local shops for some reason only known to them. I’m still buying all the fruit I normally would. I am cutting it up, but really don’t expect to encounter anything that didn’t grow naturally.

Quacka, does your almond milk tea indicate that this is a FD for you? If so I am joining you & Cali – on a FD an also with the cups of tea!
    Enjoy the clothes cull. I hope you find it quite liberating to free yourself from those big clothes.

Thin, I find that with doctors too – tell them that I used to be morbidly obese. I’m not sure why I feel they still need to know that.
    I had a giggle of your hunter gatherer analogy – I can well identify with the move from the couch to the pantry to hunt for food. I think it’s a well worn path in my house. At least I will need to walk out the back door for veg soon – does that count as gathering?

Anzac, I’m glad that you feel more on top of the NFD issues. Remember that it’s ok to take some time to deal with the things that lead you to overeat on NFDs, and don’t be hard on yourself if its 2 steps forward and one backwards. You are trying to create eating pattern changes for life and it takes time for our behaviours to change. It also can take some time to identify all of the triggers that usually end in us eating when we aren’t actually hungry. There are often quite a few to be dealt with.

GDSA, hope you feel better soon. Glad to hear that the building works are progressing – it’s always great to see the physical structure. Initially it’s lots of digging and pipes and you start to wonder when anything will appear above ground.

Cate, as lovely as it is that your husband cooked you breakfast, I would have had a similar reaction to that plateful of food. I hope the rest of your NFD is within your control. And well done planning a FD when yo have to eat out.

Hello to everyone else who’s reading and not posting at the moment.

I made what I hope is my final trip to Ikea for while yesterday, for the last of the outdoor furniture. I still haven’t built it yet as I know if I start that today the cleaning won’t get done!
    When my nephew found out I was heading to Ikea yet again he asked if they needed to stage an intervention 😀

Now that the plumbing is fixed, I finished planting the veggie garden this morning. Although I still need to get some potting mix for the box of micro-greens and also my new mint plant (too invasive to go anywhere but in a pot).
    I made a huge pot of bolognese (mostly minced vegetables) that is simmering slowly in the oven. I have a bad habit of burning it if I cook it for hours on the stove, so I cook it slowly in the oven. Then I will turn most of it into a huge lasagne tomorrow in preparation for Sunday dinner.

I do need to clean the house today as well, in preparation for visitors. Not looking forward to that chore – I’d much rather be gardening!
    I can’t avoid this chore any longer. Time to stop typing and start cleaning.

Ugh, housework, hate it! We have an 11 month old Labrador and he sheds like there is no tomorrow. No sooner do we vacuum then the floor looks like it has been snowing Labrador fur again! Good luck getting through yours quickly LJoyce

Anzac65- Getting past that fear of hunger is one of the best things about 5:2 for me, I think….along with the stomach shrinking & not feeling like I’m on a diet 5 days a week. Welcome to 5:2. I still feel very much a newbie & this forum is excellent.
    G’Day- I’m sorry you are so unwell. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you, too.
    LJ- Your advice to new members is very gentle & kind. We do all have our own reasons for gaining weight & changing our habits takes time & some self-TLC. My husband is THE cook in our household & he’s a very healthy eater. He gets confused with what I’m doing & I can’t blame him for that. He’s a real nurturer. He just loves to cook. He will go along with whatever I say, food-wise, but the poor man can’t read my mind. Even I have trouble doing that.
    Your nephew is very funny!
    I have a strong preference to gardening, rather than housework too, but may have to knuckle down tomorrow as I see tumbleweeds developing- inside the house.
    Anzac65- I’m glad I’m not the only one with an aversion to housework. I like to be tidy, but I hate vacuuming!

Cate & Anzac, glad I’m not alone in my loathing of housework, I often feel like the odd woman out in my family on this issue. I also hate vacuuming – I’d rather clean toilets! It doesn’t help that I have carpet for the first time in 2 decades and I struggle to do this task to my satisfaction. I still haven’t figured out how to stop the head of the vacuum cleaner creating an almost unbreakable suction that makes it difficult to move. So much easier to sweep floor boards. However it’s done, the floors have been either swept & washed or vacuumed. The bathrooms and toilets are clean. The spare room now has a new mattress topper and quilt and looks very nice. https://imgur.com/a/WbfMKvw (My spare room actually has an ensuite because it was intended to be the master – I actually chose to use a different bedroom and the main bathroom for myself.)
    The only thing left is to clean the kitchen, but that will need to wait until I finish making the lasagne tomorrow – no point doing it twice!

I even found time (after the cleaning) to put together the outdoor furniture. It was quite easy as they seemed to have built most of the pieces – mostly just a case of attaching legs. https://imgur.com/a/QSCh2Hp When the drop leaf ends are down it seats 4 with the use of 2 bench seats. When extended and folding chairs are added it seats 8-10. I wasn’t sure it would fit well in my verandah extended, but it actually does.

Very productive FD. In fact it’s 7:30 and I’m yet to eat my dinner. Mulligatawny soup with a little greek yoghurt stirred through.

Hope the other fasters had a good day.

Well done on a very productive FD, LJ!

Good morning everyone, a gorgeous Saturday morning here. I was crook yesterday (I have a chronic illness and I had been overdoing it) but rested pretty well and am feeling a lot better today.

Rainbow Quill, what a wonderful list of lessons learned by doing 5:2.
    And I so agree about ‘slow is okay’ that you and Quacka mention. I also remember thinking “it took me 10 years to put on all this weight, I don’t mind if it takes ten years to lose it, so long as I do lose it.” And, ofcourse, it took a lot less than 10 years. Win!

Anzac, good thinking. I love what people wrote in response to your query about Non Fast Days. I got Fast Days sorted fairly easily, but I am still working out NFDs. When I stuff up (I’m a bit of a binge eater, and a bit of a snacker) it is such a relief to know that a Fast Day is coming along for a breathing space and a reset.

I had the advantage of growing up with home cooked ‘meat and three veg’ (which I thought unbearably old fashioned and boring), but at least it means I have a picture in my mind what a ‘normal’ meal looks like in terms of portion size and plate size.

There is also well researched information here: https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/food-essentials The whole site has good information including portion sizes etc.

Cheers to all the people who’ve been doing hard work and amazing things, and sympathy to those of you who are not well and struggling a bit. I hope today is a day for mindful eating and looking after ourselves. Best wishes all.

Morning Cinque, pleased you’re feeling good today.

LJ, I have a Dyson vacuum which almost makes vacuuming a pleasure. OK, not really but when I first got it, it was a great novelty. It has a very strong suction as you describe. I figured out that it has a valve on the upright that I can release on the ‘outbound stroke’ allowing it to move freely. Maybe yours has something similar? My least favourite household chore is ironing – seems pointless!

Love your outdoor furniture. About a year ago, I was about to replace ours after some decades. I went online to research what it might be worth to sell and discovered that it’s no longer made and has something of a cult following in the USA where I bought it. It’s Samson. I decided it’s not old-fashioned after all – it’s great! No-one else in Perth has it, it’s very comfortable, obviously very well-made like everything that comes out of America and has stood the test of time. It’s staying!

Yippee, we had an Indian restaurant meal last night and I didn’t gain any weight. Despite the waiter’s desperate attempt at upselling, as planned I had no alcohol, no appetisers, no bread, no dessert but I caved in and had a spoonful of rice. Plodding along at 60.2kgs and striving to get back under. I’m off for my walk and then down to help a neighbour tackle her bougainvillea in preparation for the green pickup on Monday. It really does feel like spring at last with the warmer weather.

Quacka, going back to something you posted a page or so back, perhaps you can join me in my Silly Season Challenge this year and, together, we’ll enjoy all that the season offers while maintaining the same weight. Sound good?

Morning all. Just checking in, with no real news. I’m still getting over the travel, and I had a challenging week back at work. It’s only a two hour time difference but jet lag always hits me hard. I can’t get to sleep at night, and can’t stay asleep. My OH has has a bit of a medical drama and we saw a specialist yesterday and discussed the options. Our fear was there would be no treatment, but there is, although not risk-free. Anyway I came home exhausted (I worry so much more than he does) and was looking for a good night’s sleep – and our noisy neighbours kicked off again. Police were called at 11pm, when it was obvious it wasn’t settling, and we moved to a back bedroom. The agent will only breach them if the police have been called….and three strikes and their lease won’t be renewed, apparently.
    My weight is moving up and down – no real reason, as I had three FDs this week – but I’ve started incorporating good carbs into my diet (beans and some sourdough eg) so obviously I’m just adjusting. Once this would have been enough to throw me off whatever diet I was on – now I just accept that my body will do what it does, and good is going on inside. How philisophical is that?
    Have a good day all.

Sorry I seemed to have missed a page of posts.
    Cinque, glad you are feeling better today.
    Thin, I have a Dyson stick….I hate having to dig out the ‘big’ vacuum, and the stick is good enough most days. And I’ve mostly given up ironing too. I wash on a permanent press cycle, and hang OH’s shirts (and my dresses) on hangers and just whip them into the cupboard unironed. So far he hasn’t noticed. I do like to iron pillow slips and teatowels though – I like the neatness of folding those squares 🙂
    The discussion about fear of hunger really resonates, particularly the notion of eating a meal before time and when not hungry, because the next meal time will fall while we are out. Such control,this wol gives us. Thin how great to be able to eat an Indian meal without consequences. Garlic naan is my downfall so I tip my hat to your choices.
    LJ I find the thing is, even if you spend time on housework, it still needs to be done tomorrow (and the day after etc). It can be dispiriting. Spend an hour in the garden, and the effects build. I love hearing about your gardening… so good for your wellbeing, food production, exercise in the fresh air and so on. Even sore muscles are probably ok when they’ve been put to such good use.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,351 through 17,400 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.