Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,951 through 17,000 (of 28,011 total)

• Good morning SHs, welcome to the weekend.

I’ve just come home from doing the grocery shopping. Not something I like doing on a Saturday as the shopping centre is a madhouse on weekends, but I had one of those busy weeks. As long as I’m there before 9am it’s ok.

Today is another NFD and my planned food is
    Lunch: 2 slices wholemeal sourdough spelt bread with pastrami, blanched greens and tomato.
    Dinner: baked vegetables and a piece of crumbed fish.
    Snacks & Drinks: yoghurt, apple, water, cups of tea
    https://imgur.com/a/nF98B12

The reason I blanch the greens is because they are the outer leaves from the kale-sprouts and also leaves from the bunch of broccoli, and they are a bit tough and chewy to eat raw. I blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes, dry them off and then chill them and use like a salad leaf. As you can tell, I don’t like wasting anything!

When shopping I found Changs konjac noodles in Woolworths – that’s a first as it’s normally only Coles that carries them. I took a photo as they have new packaging and have introduced another noodle shape and it might make it easier to find them, if you are looking. https://imgur.com/RPyOhwc These were $2 a packet.

The weather here is weird. It’s a nice sunny day today, but it rained all night. In fact it rained so hard that the sound of it on my colourbond roof woke me up at 4am.

I hope you all have some nice plans for the weekend.

Hello all.
    Just ending week two for me and things are going nicely, although I can’t say I’m eating ‘well’ on my non-fast days. I am certainly indulging and recognise fully that this will contribute to a slow, if any, loss. It is what it is at this point while I get the hang of fast days. I must say, though, that on the whole fast days are working well for me and I’ve lost between 2 and three kilograms in the two weeks. I think of Mondays as my regular weigh in, but am a daily weigher – have been for the bulk of my life and don’t let it get me down.
    I’m at work today – overtime for those of us who come in on the weekends to catch up on some of the backlog of work. Tomorrow is my birthday so I’m looking forward to a little sleep in before the kids come and insist I get up for my breakfast that they will want to cook for me. I’ve requested bacon and some creamy garlic mushrooms. They wanted pancakes, but it is after all my day so my choice! Football in the afternoon for my 10 year old son – last game for the season and then trophy presentations at the clubrooms. Hoping we might go somewhere nice for dinner but will see how long the presentations last.
    I’ve swapped a work day and am taking Monday off work. Hoping hubby and I can have lunch together – important to spend time without the kids. There is a hotel down the river (about 45 minutes drive away) that I want to try, and it would be nice as a husband and I only venture. Love my kids, but also love time with hubby alone too, particularly as he works away a lot.
    Monday is usually my fast day, so I’ll have to shift it this week. As it’s only my third week, I’m not sure how that will go. Tuesday I’ll have to bring in morning tea at work, and I’m sure the leftovers will hang around for a bit, so I’m thinking I might try Thursday and maybe Friday. Saturday my daughter is having a birthday sleepover as she turns 12 the following week, and I know this will be all about food, so wouldn’t dare make that my second fast day!
    Wish me luck with the fasts – not sure how I’ll cope with two back to back but I might have to give it a go, and I hope you all have a great weekend!

Hi TassieJane, it sounds like things are going quite well for you. Controlling eating on the NFDs is a big bugbear many of us continue to battle. Thin calls it a work in progress and I agree. Changing life long eating habit is not something that’s done quickly. I also think that these ingrained patterns very rarely go away but over time I’ve found I can reduce the impact and manage them most of the time. Being aware of these behaviours, what drives them, what excuses we tell ourselves etc, goes a long way to reducing them. I think you are perfectly right to concentrate on the FDs initially and then work on the NFDs once you are comfortable with 5:2. After the initial weight loss slows, the incentive to work on the NFDs will increase.

Good luck with the B2B. I’ve done it a couple of times but try to avoid it if I can. Moving FDs around is something I’ve always been comfortable with as I always saw 5:2 as something that had the flexibility to fit around my life. I know others prefer their FDs to be fixed.

Can I suggest an option for Tuesday. If you would prefer it to be a FD, then take in food that allows you to have a little. I know people expect birthday cake, but you could do some sweet treats and also some dip and veggie sticks. Or you can do just a sweet platter that includes both cakes and fresh fruit. This can allow you to be seen eating so you don’t have to deal with questions and comments. A little raw veg or a handful of strawberries will fit easily into a FD. You might not be ready for this yet, but as a longer term solution to always feeling you have to eat cake at office events it is helpful to have another option.
    I used to do this when I was working and was trying to lose weight. I actually found that the healthier alternative was as popular as the cake – I wasn’t the only one who’d been wanting an alternative to cake.

Have a lovely birthday.

Hi, SH’s. I hope you are having a lovely Saturday. A month into 5:2 & I can now say I have settled into it nicely & feel much better for it. I started my new exercise program today & enjoyed it. I also checked out imgur & will start adding some photos.
    Quacka- thank you very much for your encouragement. I, too have 10 kg to lose.
    G’day- What a lot of positive changes you have made to your life over the last 18 mths. It is something to be very proud of. I don’t think I’ll try any cassava recipes.
    Cali & LJ- I am definitely going to get some nutritional yeast. It sounds like a great substitute for cheese on FD’s.
    Thin- thanks for your encouragement also.
    Cinque- glad you had fun with your sisters.
    LJ- which teas do you drink? I had a delicious Jasmine tea at my BIL’s last week & must buy some. I love spearmint & peppermint, but I really don’t want to use teabags any more. I’m going to ask at our local Woolies if they have the Changs noodles. They look good. I copied your photo to take with me, thank you. We are having similar weird weather here in Tas. It’s all over the show!
    Merry- what a busy time you have had. I hope the next week is quieter.
    Crickets- hi, & welcome to the 5:2 forum 🙂
    Tassie Jane- well done on your 2-3 kg weight-loss! Happy Birthday for tomorrow. I hope you get to have that lunch with your OH.
    Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. I’ll see if I can add a photo of my today’s lunch- https://imgur.com/aROWMAl

Cate,
    I’m a bit of a fusspot when it comes to tea. I like black leaf teas and don’t care much for green or oolong, and don’t get me started on herbs masquerading as tea (although I will on occasion have a peppermint brew). I like many of the traditional teas, mostly of Indian and SriLankan origin (orange pekoe, dargeeling, assam etc). I used to create my own blended teas but when I discovered that T2 had several blends that were as good as those I’d put together for myself I just started using those. I have a cupboard that’s full of teas, but on most days I use just a few. Through the day I drink either “morning red” (a blend of assam and keemun), “melbourne breakfast” or “french earl grey”. In the evening I won’t drink caffeine, so I do still create my own blended teas for the evening. I make a chai spice blend that I team wither either decaf tea leaves (when I can find them) or a decaf tea bag. I also make a lamington blend that I also team with decaf tea.

Cate, I should also add that I allow 20-25% of my calories for milk on my FDs as I like my tea with milk. I allow a cup of milk on FDs. This is more food than most people are willing to give up on a FD. I found I can go without a meal fairly easily as long as I can have a pot of really nice tea with the amount of milk I like. So for me it is definitely a food substitute.

Cate, are those stuffed grape leaves in that pic? I LOVE grape leaves. The ones from the store have a lot of oil in them but I sometimes make my own and don’t add much, if any. It’s sort of a lot of work to make them. I wonder if they freeze well? I’m guessing probably not. Your meal looks great.

Tessie, congrats on your 2-3 kg in two weeks. That’s a good amount of weight. I switch FDs when occasions come up. I have a harder time with B2B but every so often it’s the only way to get around other things. Normally, I like Monday and Thursday because there usually isn’t much going on those days. Several people do Sunday FD. I’ll have to try that sometime.

Thin, that T2 Wattle tea sounds really good. But I’m off of most caffeine for a while and got carried away with a couple T2 orders when they had a good sale. So lots of tea here to drink. I wish they had more decaf, especially in the black teas.

LJ, good advice to Tassie on managing NFDs and office parties. My DS works in an office where they’re always bringing in food.

Cate that’s a nice looking platter for lunch.
    Are you liking kombucha, what does it taste like? Any flavour recommendations? I haven’t tried it yet. I drink a little kefir most days but have been doubtful that I’ll like kombucha so haven’t bought any.

Cali, the bigger the office the more cake you have to face! I found that quite challenging.

I did end up getting all of those veggies prepared and baked. I’ve taken before and after photos and also tonight’s dinner. I decided on 2 pieces of fish as they were rather small (they are about 600kj or 143cal each). https://imgur.com/a/ddoHzzO All the veg got a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt and oregano.
    I always find it takes forever to get the pumpkin slices crispy rather than soggy as they release so much water during cooking. The broccoli and kale-sprouts I blanch in boiling water then pat them dry and they only need 8-10 minutes in the oven. Now I don’t need to worry about cooking veg for a few days I just have to figure out what I want to put with them for the next few nights.

LJ- whoops. I don’t drink black tea at all & love weird & wonderful brews, mostly involving green or herbal teas. I can’t cope with milk in tea. It makes me feel queasy. If I ever have oats for breakfast I add almond milk. My sister thinks my tea brews are very weird, but I love mixing them up. I can’t come at fruity ones though & she only drinks green tea.
    Cali- they are vine leaves. I buy the Palirria brand, Dolmades from Woolworths. They are in what I call “the Dutchy” section. They are delicious!
    LJ- that was the first Kombucha I had ever tried & it was scrumptious. It was lemon, lime & mint flavoured. Yum. I will be buying that again, for FD’s. I don’t think I would have tried it, if not for this forum. Those veggies look great! I just love baked veggies.

Hi everyone. Just checking in.

Enjoying reading all your great posts – inspirational and informative!

Have a wonderful, relaxing Sunday.
    Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning,

Cali, That is some wildlife to watch out for!
    Mind you, we have snakes to match your rattlesnakes! But the closest things to bears would be our poor koalas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvkI8c9eALQ

Tassie Jane, well done in both your progress and your planning. LJoyce put it so well. Just do the Fast Days, and take your time figuring out the Non Fast Days.
    Happy Birthday! https://cdn.atwilltech.com/flowerdatabase/t/telefloras-be-happy-mug-everyday-floral-arrangmen.365.jpg
    Breakfast sounds delicious, especially if the kids manage to get it to you with every component hot!

Good luck with your back to back fast days. It will be a scientific experiment, and if it doesn’t work you can just avoid it in the future.

CateAus, isn’t it lovely to feel you have settled into 5:2. It gives such a feeling of security for the future.
    I’m another one who loves dolmades. I haven’t made them for ages. And it is very timely because my daughter is working out food for little Miss 4’s birthday party and looking for things that are vegan, dairy and gluten free to make everyone there feel welcome, so I will offer to make my vegetarian dolmades.

PS Everyone: Any other ideas for healthy finger food that fits all the above criteria?

Cheers Arelkade, best wishes to you too.

Well, my plan to fast yesterday got jettisoned because my daughter had made chicken quesadillas for granddaughter and me to eat (not knowing I had decided to fast) and I decided to eat them. Very yummy. So today will be a lonely fast day, all by itself. It is fine with that!
    I love my Sunday fasts, they feel meditative. I will henna my hair and do pottering things around the house.

Hoping your Sunday is a pleasure too.

Cinque- sushi, fresh Vietnamese Spring rolls, sandwich wheels, veggie sticks, cherry tomatoes, strawberries…Our GK’s just love big platter plates of raw veg & fruit.
    Your Sunday sounds very restful. I like to make Sundays feel different, even if I feel lazy.
    My FD’s will be Tue & Thu this week.

Cinque, I made some Thai hummus today that’s vegan and gluten free and it turned out very well. We have a bunch of Thai basil in a big pot on the back patio that I was trying to think of a use for besides putting it in chicken dishes, or on fish. I Googled “Thai hummus” and came up with a few recipes, which I adapted to my own. You know I never measure things so just go by taste:

Tin of chick peas 439 gr
    Heaping tbs peanut butter
    Lime juice
    Fresh ginger
    Garlic
    Thai basil leaves and blossoms
    Hot sauce or jalapeño to taste
    Soy sauce or salt
    Tbs or so of honey (optional, I didn’t really taste it that much)

Served with cut up carrots, celery, blanched broccoli. It was sooo good! Crickets said it was now her favorite hummus. 😊 It could probably be a FD meal as the only calories of any consequence would be the chick peas and peanut butter. And you end up eating more veggies than hummus. Cucumbers, cauliflower or capsicum would also be good vegetables to try.

Tassie, Happy Birthday! I hope I’m not late with the time zones.

Crickets has lost some weight on her first week or so of 5:2, but I’ll let her tell you about it.

Good morning SHs,

I’m heading up to the hills shortly to catch up with family over brunch. Although it will just be a cuppa for me as it’s a FD.

Cali, that hummus sounds very nice, and I agree about it being good for FDs. I use hummus and raw veg on FDs sometimes in summer.

Cate, I definitely agree on the strawberries, the youngsters in my family can’t get enough of them. They are almost as bad with cherries too, but they are harder to get this time of year.

Cinque, if your daughter wants some hot food options then I’d suggest oven baked veggie wedges – all kids love chips.

TassieJane, happy birthday. Enjoy your bacon and mushrooms.

Hi Arel and anyone else reading.

As it’s a FD and I have leftovers for dinner so today’s food was quick to put on the bench and photograph. I’ve also provided a photo of the kefir that I buy, as I’ve mentioned it but never featured it in my pictures. I usually have a least a tablespoon every day, and some days I’ll make a drink using 1/2 cup of the kefir mixed with almond milk, vanilla and inulin powder. On a FD it’s just a tablespoon.
    https://imgur.com/a/YkOLYh9

Have a nice Sunday. Time I was heading off now.

Cali- That hummus sounds delicious!
    LJ- I’ll have to try kefir next. I loved the lemon, lime & mint Kombucha & am tempted to buy a case online (free postage).

TassieJ, that’s a significant weight loss for just 2 weeks. I lost half a kg every week while in weight loss mode and was delighted with it. I do believe that mastering the FDs is the key to success; the rest gets shaped naturally over time without trying too hard. In particular, portion control and food desires seem to change over time. Many of us have discovered that we don’t need alcohol to enjoy ourselves.

However, it’s easy to go off the rails especially when others are in charge of your food intake. I’ve had a bad week following the lunch and extended grazing afternoon at my neighbour’s house last Sunday. Sunday has been my longstanding FD and I dislike changing my FDs. I contributed a fruit platter but succumbed to the various sugary desserts on offer and then I found it hard to stop eating sugar all week. It’s a horrible, toxic feeling and so addictive.

There’s nothing wrong with changing FDs and lots of people love that flexibility. I rarely change my designated days for a couple of reasons. One is that, once established, everyone else comes to know which days you fast and they won’t provide food for you or suggest anything that might blow it. Secondly, once the excuses start, it can be hard to find another suitable day especially as I like to bank mine in advance of the event rather than pay the debt after the damage is done. Hats off to those who can do it though. I know LJ’s good at it.

Anyway, Sunday fast for me. So glad LJ and Cinque are with me. Looking forward to getting comfortably back below 60kgs.

I should have taken a photo of the hummus before we started eating it! But, better late than never, huh?
    https://imgur.com/a/yaKXmfz

Nice plates CalifD!
    Happy Birthday TassieJ. For some reason, I thought it was tomorrow.

Thank you, thin. Those are our summer dishes. They’re made of a heavyweight melamine that’s dishwasher safe but can’t go in the microwave. We have so many dishes that ended up with chips on the edges over time, so these seemed like a good idea. I love the pattern. And even though they’re as thick as stoneware, they weigh a lot less.

Yes Thin, I think Cali’s plates are pretty too. I’m surprised they are melamine as they really do look like glazed stoneware. The beauty of a food pic when most of it is eaten – it shows how good the hummus was!

I enjoyed my pot of tea up at Hahndorf and the catch up with family.

Something I’ve realised over recent weeks, is that the weight at which I feel comfortable has changed. I used to be perfectly happy in the 75-78kg range but not anymore. My new upper limit seems to be around 75. Anything more and I feel uncomfortable and puffy/bloated. Not to mention, the clothes I bought when I was renovating the last house and was in the lower 70s don’t fit properly when I get above 75. So it looks like I’ve got a new target range in the lower 70s. It doesn’t surprise me that the way my clothing fits is contributing to my sense of what a comfortable weight is. I use clothing more than scales to tell me whether my weight is stable or moving.

Anyone else feel cold on FDs? It seems to be a perennial issue for me on any day where I eat less than 800 calories. It doesn’t matter how much I turn up the heat or extra clothes I put on, I feel chilled. I’m sure I’ll appreciate this in summer.

I guess it shows me how directly my body uses the energy from my food to maintain body temperature.

Hi Everyone,
    LJoyce, I found that feeling cold was related to being a bit dehydrated. It might be worth drinking extra water cuppas and seeing if it makes a difference. (Doing the same myself).

So cool that you have a new normal, but maybe that has made things a bit stressful/confusing as you settle into it without renovating. All power to you.

Cali, what a clever riff on hummus!

My daughter has been going around in circles, it is a lunchtime party and she hoped to have a BBQ but borrowing a gas bottle didn’t work out, she thought about a taco table but has ended up thinking of finger food. She has dips and veggie sticks, sausage rolls (in spite of the gluten 😉 ), plates of fruit, but then she has gone onto so many sweet things, and I want to contribute more veggie based things.

Sushi is a great idea, but we worry about the rice going hard in the fridge overnight. The same is true for the dolmades, but I can make them up the evening before and then cook them in the morning. We keep thinking about rice paper rolls too, but they are best made up fresh too. Sigh. Maybe I could do some too.

I think roast veggies could be good if we can turn them into finger food okay, maybe in a lettuce leaf. But she might have the oven at the venue full of sausage rolls. (She has booked a lovely Community House area with kitchen and play areas.) We have a week to finalise things! I’ll let you know!

Cinque, what about vegan “meat”balls. Just google it and you’ll get dozens of recipe options using various legumes, tofu, tempeh, nuts etc. These are easy bite sized things to eat and work well as finger food. If the community hall has a microwave they are easily heated this way without needing space in the oven. You can have just cold things, but I always find that quite unappealing in winter. (If you don’t want to cook them, Ikea sell bags of frozen vegan balls in their little food markets these days.)
    If you do the baked veg, I find potatoes, sweet potato and parsnip all get nicely brown and crisp on the outside when baked with a drizzle of oil. They are also easily cut into thick chips/wedges which means they can be served in large bowls and are true finger food.

Cinque, I’ve gotten a bit distracted (and hungry) looking at vegan meatball recipes! I found this site which I though did a good job at explaining the variety of options. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-all-kinds-of-vegan-meatballs/

Cinque, sushi rolls go together pretty quickly once the rice is ready. But I think you are right about the rice getting hard in the frig overnight. https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/israeli-kitchen/recipes/vegetarian-sushi
    But I like them because you can vary the vegetables and make a lot of them fairly quickly. The dolmades should be fine if you make them ahead and cook them that day. I agree about the rice paper rolls. They can be fussy even when made the same day.
    Look at these https://goo.gl/images/qfNpiV What a cute way to serve cut up veggies! It doesn’t look like it would be too difficult to put together.

LJoyce, the fact that you felt good at around 70 kg, even during a stressful time of getting your old home ready to sell and looking for a new one, makes it seem like that’s a good weight for you. Maybe just keeping busy with something, even if it isn’t repairing a home is the thing you need to lessen the time you have to snack on NFDs. I think I have that problem with snacking.

Thin, I’m usually cold on FD except when it’s summer and really hot. Bundling up does help sometimes. Lots of people seem to have the same complaint.

Haha Cali, we call that sort of vegetarian sushi ‘Californian rolls’ (Although I see from looking them up that ‘California Rolls’ have a few different definitions. But veggie sticks and avocado is how I was introduced to them.)
    Yes, I stopped making them after my daughter left home because I would make so many and they don’t last well.

I love those little carts with the crudites! So cute.

LJoyce, the veggie ‘meatballs’ are such a good idea, but I am not confident with vegan ones. I have failed in the past. 🙁 I am excellent when I have egg and cheese to bind them together 😉
    I had better look into those vegan binding agents incase the YamDaisy catering gets going!

Well I’m most of the way through my Fast Day. Looking forward to miso soup in a couple of hours!

Cinque, all of those rolls are also called maki here. The molded rice with the raw fish over the top we called nigiri. The only maki that is called a California roll here is one with crab and avocado. Look at this vegan nigiri made with peeled capsicum: https://goo.gl/images/ufvP1R I’ve made a few of them to put out on a platter with the sushi rolls. They look very much like raw tuna.
    For binding veg meatballs, what about pearled barley, brown rice, beans or ground nuts? If you slightly overcook the grains, the get rather sticky. Lentils might work too, slightly over cooked. I bet once the grains cool, they would stick together. LJoyce, I’ve bookmarked that meatball site. Lots of good ideas there!

Cali, that veggie train is just the cutest thing. 🙂

LJ, I did reply to your earlier post a few hours ago but it went wooosh into the abyss. Then a friend came over and that was the end of my post reading. What I said was great job with your new lower comfortable zone because I remember a time when you were apprehensive for various reasons about taking your weight any lower. And well done drinking a pot of tea while the OFMs ate brunch. While our friend was here, I made him a nice cup of coffee and then put half my cauliflower soup into a mug & joined him. I didn’t have to make mention of fasting – although I think he’s used to me fasting on Sundays – and maybe that soup did smell a bit of cauliflower. Now I’m enjoying the other half and it’s almost time for dinner. Which is a different bowl of soup.

Sorry I can’t join in with the vegan suggestions, Cinque. No idea. But I will just add that I applaud your daughter for trying to make a 4 year old’s birthday a reasonably healthy event. Some of that children’s birthday food of the past has been quite gross when you think about it, especially the drinks some parents served. Will the liquid refreshment be water? CalifD, that veggie train is gorgeous – and there’s no reason that couldn’t catch on with children. What is the party theme? Let me guess – fairies?

Glad that you’ve passed the time well ladies. Not quite over for me but I’ve enjoyed every minute and haven’t felt hungry or cold today. But Cinque has reminded me to have a big glass of water.

P.S. Apologies if I miss a letter from a word – I’ve noticed my keys are starting to stick! Will have to pay extra attention before posting.

Hi Southern Hemispheres. I’m starting the 5:2 Fast in sunny Florida USA. It’s August 2018 and I’ve recently realized that when starting something new like this I do best with some like-minded people. I’d enjoy sharing encouragement, tips and insights, recipes, etc. This huge blog is a bit intimidating, but I expect all this experience has led to many gems of wisdom and useful information. So I will try digesting this in pieces starting with the most recent. I’m looking forward to interacting with you.

Rainbow, welcome to 5:2 and to this thread. There are lots of members here who have been doing 5:2 for years and have lost lots of weight. They are such an inspiration to me and have been one of reasons I’ve managed to stick with this plan since May of 2017, even through the occasional plateaus.

Today I made a big Mexican Bean Salad that should last the 3 of us several days. It’s one of our favorites, even during the winter sometimes, but certainly through the summer. I decided to post a photo of it this time: https://imgur.com/a/cItjary

Cinque, you’ll have to post some pics of the party food if you have time. It sounds a lot healthier than the cakes and ice cream and candy we used to have at parties.

Good morning everyone,

It is lovely ‘morning after Fast Day’ for me.

Rainbow Quill, so glad you came here. Welcome! I love that you have written a profile, what an interesting life. Bird kites on the beach sounds wonderful.

I do hope that you can get into the swing of 5:2 now before the next sidetrack happens. They happen to all of us (except perhaps Thin), but getting ‘back on the horse’ (as Merry says) as soon as possible is the best trick.

There, I just introduced you to a couple of the long timers here.

We also have a recipe thread you might find useful: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/

Cali, what a beautiful salad. My granddaughters party is not until Saturday, but her 4th birthday is today. It is a daycare day and they don’t allow baked birthday cakes there, so this is the birthday cake my daughter made:
    https://imgur.com/a/dmr2ABg

(We are a bit mad on photos here at the moment Rainbow Quill!)

Well, I’m up early and planning on a productive day. Sending lots of good wishes to everyone.

Hi Cinque and Cali’ I enjoyed your replies and looking forward to more on this forum. I decided to ease into this 5:2 fasting eating plan. I reduced my intake to about one-half to one-third of normal for three days. The first two days were tough even at half rations. I suspect the initial headaches meant my body was cleaning out. The initial high fatigue level was a signal to rest as needed and not push my activity too high. Third day was better. In my mind I have now settled that I can do this. This seems to have worked well for me to initiate a fasting type regimen. Today (the fourth day) at 25% rations has been good. Stomach has definitely shrunk. No headaches. Energy level is improving. Now I will do 5:2 or some type of alternate day regimen. Since I also lost my past momentum on regular exercise, I also plan to gradually introduce more exercise. These are good change goals and I plan to benefit from this forum as I start some new habits!

Hi, Rainbow Quill & welcome to the 5:2 forum. I have only been back doing 5;2 for a month now & feel that I have settled into it again & look forward to my next FD. There is great support & camaraderie here & I’m sure you will enjoy it.

Welcome Rainbow Quill, we can always use an extra rainbow. Ask us anything, we know it all. Just kidding, but there’s usually someone here who’s experienced something that anyone might need help with. It’s good to hear that you read ‘the book’ before embarking on this WOL. Are you wanting to lose much weight?

Happy birthday Little Miss 4 Year Old, Cinque. Is the ban on baked birthday cakes for healthy eating reasons?

Easy peasy FD yesterday followed by a good night’s sleep. And now back below 60kg where I belong. Considering it took me two FDs to restore the status quo after a restaurant big breakfast and a long lunch at the neighbour’s house, it is easy to see how fast I would gain weight were I to continue eating like that, week after week, with no FDs. Had I been on 5:2 the week before all that indulgence took place, instead of 6:1, I’d probably have seen no change on the scales. Note to self.

Off for more humiliation and punishment at bridge. Have a great day everyone.

Hello all. I am starting the 5:2 this week. I tried it about a year ago and lost two kilos. I am not overweight, exercise regularly and watch my calorie intake, but those extra 2 to 3 kgs seem to creep back on more easily now that I am older. And they are back!
    Ive just read through your recent posts and am impressed with your recipes and taste tips.
    I was super pleased to see that LJoyce puts aside their calories for milk for their tea. I can last on a FD without much food as long as I have pots of tea with milk. I use skim (which I usually dont like) to make the milk go further. And agree on non herbal teas as my preference. I will say that Licorice Legs at T2 is the one herbal tea I like – the licorice with mint combo makes it nice and sweet so its great when you’re craving a bit of sweet in your day.

Good evening SHs,

I know I’m late checking in today, I’ve had tradesmen here today so I’d packed my laptop away for the day.

Welcome Jenferb and RainbowQuill I hope you find 5:2 easy to adapt to. I personally have, and I think it’s because the calorie restriction is confined to just 2 days per week so it’s very easy to fit this around normal life. I have found the support I’ve received on this forum invaluable. I lost the weight and then continued with 5:2 to help me maintain.

Thin, glad you had an easy FD. I’m wondering if it was because you are happy to be back to 5:2 from your short 6:1 experiment.

Cali, that looks like a very wholesome salad. I suspect it’s filling too with that variety of beans.

Cinque the “fruit cake” was lovely. Hopefully the kids enjoyed it.

Because I’ve had the cabinetmaker invading my kitchen for part of the day I’ve ended up taking a series of food photos today. I had a really hungry day and ate probably one snack more than I think is reasonable. But at least I balanced it with both a walk and some gardening.
    Breakfast was a pot of tea, a banana and a pot of yoghurt
    Lunch was my main meal, leftover baked veggies and a cup of beef & veg ragu
    Afternoon tea was a pot of tea and 2 slices of NAS fruit & walnut sourdough
    Dinner was a cup of pumpkin-lemon soup and 2 open sandwiches constructed from wholemeal spelt sourdough, pastrami and salad
    https://imgur.com/a/gQfUfek

Tomorrow I’m planning a controlled day which will work if I don’t have to deal with the level of hunger I experienced today. My next proper FD will be either Thursday or Friday. The reason I’m adding a controlled day this week is I’m trying to prepare for a 5yo’s birthday party on Saturday where I’ll be surrounded by a sugar explosion. I am not expecting any of the healthy fare that Cinque’s daughter is planning for her 4yo’s party. I’m at the top of my new comfortable weight range and I don’t want to exceed it.

Hope you have all had a good day.

Good morning everyone,

Welcome Jennferb!
    I am another one who has milk for cuppas as part of my fast day calories! It is essential for me as it makes Fast Days enjoyable and sustainable.
    Good luck at moving those couple of excess kilograms, it is so nice to have 5:2 up your sleeve to use whenever you need it.

Rainbow, I laughed when you said you were easing in to this eating plan, as it sounds like you have done those four fasting days all in a row, and I have only managed to do two fast days back to back after three years of being on 5:2!

You’ll find two fast days a week a breeze, and if you start by doing three a week, or alternate days, you will always be able to move to plain and simple 5:2 if more fast days get too onerous.

5:2’s best characteristic is that it is able to be a sustainable part of life, so it makes for a new way of eating for life, instead of a short term heroic effort.
    You said it beautifully when you said it will be new habits, Fast Days and that bit of exercise. Excellent habits! 🙂

Thin, congratulations on getting back under 60kg. Nice work comrade! You use 5:2 with finesse! And I do hope bridge was not at all humiliating!

I think it was health reasons that the Daycare doesn’t have baked cakes, what with all that sugar and all those allergies. Her watermelon berry cake went down well! Thanks LJoyce.
    I picked the darlings up from daycare, with my daughter, and we had a fun walk home because there were puddles most of the way.

LJoyce, sympathies for your hungry Fast Day. I hope today is quieter and easier.

It is day before fast day for me, and I am planning back-to-back again on Wednesday and Thursday (busy weekend coming up). I am having a delicious mindful breakfast (adai again!).

Best wishes to everyone for a comfortable, mindful day, whether Fast Day or Non Fast Day.

Good morning SHs,

Cinque, glad you all had fun jumping in puddles yesterday!

I had a very early start as I woke at 4:30 and couldn’t get back to sleep. After reading for 2 hours I decided I might as well get up early. On the plus side, a poor night’s sleep is usually followed by a good one for me.

I have taken a photo of the food I plan to eat today. It is helpful to lay it all out together as it’s clear then if the overall quantity and balance is right. When I first laid everthing out there was a banana there and no baby spinach, I realised I needed more veg and less fruit when I saw it all together on the bench.
    https://imgur.com/nDqoHtN
    Lunch is corn thins with cheese and salad. Dinner is pumpkin soup with spelt sourdough toast and boiled eggs. Snacks are an apple and a tub of yoghurt. Drinks are the usual water and tea.

I need to start the baking for the Saturday birthday party today. I’ll bake the melting moments as they keep well, especially if I don’t sandwich them together with the butter cream filling until later in the week. I’m planning to try and make the dreaded macarons on Thursday. I’m hoping that picturing today’s food will allow me to stick to it and not want to eat biscuits hot from the oven.

Have a good day everyone.

Welcome Jenn.

LJ, that’s a great photo and what a small amount of healthy, hearty looking food for a CD. Do be careful at the party, that sugar temptation turned into something really horrible for me all week. I can appreciate why Cinque has given up sugar. I felt as if I’d been poisoned. At the same, I wanted more. I had a strange, nauseous feeling with a mild headache for days – could that be to do with the sugar overload, Cinque?

We had a warm day yesterday; a tiny sample of spring. But now it’s cold again and rain is forecast. LJ, yes, I think I will fast tomorrow too so I’m comfortably within the ‘zone’. Thanks Cinque, it feels good to be back below 60kg. It’s a more natural line to draw than my old 61kg trigger weight. And yes, thank you, I did so well in bridge with my partner and I coming 1st! Not that I’m at all interested in scores at this point but it was a boost to the confidence to play better than people who’ve been doing so for 3 years. My average is a miserable 44% so I really have nothing to brag about but I knew you wouldn’t mind if I told you! I shall persevere. Cinque, when you wrote that, did you know that ‘finesse’ is a bridge term?

Must go for my walk now before it gets too soggy.

Thin,
    I thought it was quite a lot of food (in terms of volume) for a CD. It’s about 2 1/2 – 3 times the volume of solid food that I’d eat on a FD, although the drinks will stay the same. Luckily I don’t have much appetite today so it’s been very easy so far and I haven’t needed the snacks, despite being in the middle of baking trays of biscuits. I am trying not to slip back into my old habit of adding extra FDs, as that usually makes my NFDs worse. I’m better off just trying to have a bit more control on some of my NFDs. It doesn’t take much extra food to cause a weight gain, so even if I just have a few things on Saturday I suspect the calories will add up very quickly and I need to have a calorie deficit banked in advance. I’m attending a wedding shower, which includes high tea, the following Saturday so I really don’t want to start next week with a weight gain.

I find if I overeat I feel the way you described the following day – it’s a bit like a hangover – nausea, a headache and really thirsty. For me overdosing on either sugars or fats do this. It’s why it so easy to fast after an overindulgent day.

Maybe I need more water. BTW, that was funny what you said about Cinque’s daughter’s ‘fruit cake’. And I keep thinking of something to say to Cinque when I’m nowhere near my laptop….I’ve forgotten again now.

Hi Everyone 🙂

Welcome to our newbies (sorry its so late)

I am almost at the end of B2B this week. I have still been super busy at work so I have found my FDs not too bad. Mind you, I am very hungry when I get home!

I took OH shopping on the weekend for his race day outfit and oh my goodness!!!! He now has two gorgeous pairs of dress pants, two pairs of nice slimmer fit jeans (not skinny lol), one long sleeved collared white shirt, two collared short sleeve shirts, a lovely tan belt and wait for it……a tie!!!!!!!!! In 21 years that we have been together I have never seen him in a tie!! This is all thanks to the lovely (and knowledgeable) sales girl. She didn’t push him into anything just suggested some really nice things for him. I was very happy 🙂 🙂
    And all of that only cost $350, apart from his new boots.

Ok time for me to go home. Sorry for the short post. I’m still here almost every day and loving what you are all posting. I hope you are all well x

Quacka, you are going to have to get a photo of your hubby when he’s all dressed up, just in case it’s a while before you see it again. Hopefully he’ll be so pleased with how he looks, he’ll want to dress up again.

thin, congratulations on achieving 1st place with your partner in bridge! That sounds like a big accomplishment to me, seeing how you haven’t been playing that long.

Cinque, I love DD’s “fruit cake”! What a nice solution for the no baked goods rule. And your walk with the Little Misses through The rain and all the puddles the other day sounds like fun. Come on, everyone, admit that stomping through puddles is appealing. 😁 (So long as you don’t have to clean all the muddy wet clothing afterward.)

Lost 700 grams yesterday on my FD. DS is still sticking with it but was a little disappointed that one of the pounds she lost was gained back a couple days ago. She’s still down, overall. I hope she’ll come back here and post. She isn’t as addicted to online forums as I am. But I’m glad she’s doing 5:2 and her clothes are fitting looser.

LJ, loved food photos. You get a lot more bang for the buck calorie wise with most vegetables. And they’re really filling. Are your cupboards all finished now? You mentioned that the cabinet maker was there a couple days ago. We’re they installing a cabinet like you had at your old place for the small appliances and supplies? I loved that idea.

Quacka, Cate and Jenn, good to see all of you!

Good morning everyone from cold grey Melbourne,

I made a big, light, vegetable curry yesterday, plus my sister brought me a bowl of her excellent soup, and I have chicken and veggie soup left, and miso soup up my sleeve (not literally 😉 ). I am all set for a couple of fast days.
    Infact, probably a week! But two will do 🙂

LJoyce, I do hope you got your good sleep after the bad one. And I hope your baking went well.

Thin, yes, that poisoned feeling is exactly what I get from eating sugar. It is awful, isn’t it.
    Don’t we love round numbers! 50kg is my happy spot, even though (when I find somewhere that has scales to stand on) I am generally a couple of kgs above, with my clothes on.

I had no idea finesse is a bridge term! Haha, well, just as well that you have lots! So glad you had a good session!

Quacka, what a great shopping trip, I am so glad you had such an excellent sales girl. I hope it means your OH will feel comfortable in his clothes on the day.
    You will be finished your B2B this morning and I hope you feel fabulous.

Cali, remind Crickets from me that scales are stupid, evil machines with a nasty sense of humour.
    I hope they behave themselves when she stands on them again.

Best wishes everyone

Hi, SH’ers & hi Cali 🙂 I’m reading every day at least twice a day to try to keep up. You are all keeping me going with 5:2 as you are all evidence that it works.
    Cinque-…remind Crickets from me that scales are stupid, evil machines with a nasty sense of humour.” I wholeheartedly agree. I’m in between my 2 FD for this week (yesterday & tomorrow) & regained 1/2 a kilo of the kilo I have lost since starting. I knew I shouldn’t have got on those scales this morning. I’m off to play golf today & hopefully, that will help.

Good morning SHs,

Cate, Cinque & Crickets, I agree with the description of scales. Some people have a weight that fluctuates very little and others have wild variations across the week. If you are in the latter category weighing often just “does your head in” – it does to me anyway. I weigh rarely and prefer to use my clothing as a guide. Your skinny jeans won’t lie to you, either they do up or they don’t. If you can sit down in them comfortably you are doing well. If there’s no muffin top when you sit down, you know you’re doing really well.

Cinque, the biscuit baking went well (just the melting moments done at this stage) and I wasn’t even tempted to eat any – that doesn’t happen often. I did get a lot of sleep last night, although I woke at 2am needing more pain killers but got back to sleep fairly easily when they kicked in.

Thin, congrats on winning your bridge game.

Quacka, enjoy breaking your fast after B2B.

Cali, Unfortunately I don’t have an appliance cupboard in this kitchen. There is only one place I could install one and it would be too small to be practical, so I’ve decided to just leave appliances on the bench top. Because I have the island bench for food preparation they don’t get in my way. The cabinetmaker came to rectify some issues with the existing built-in storage. Some of the overhead cupboards in the kitchen didn’t have shelves, neither did one of the wardrobes or one of the bathroom vanities. Also, the under bench cupboards in the kitchen and the pantry didn’t have enough shelves for me, so I had extras installed. I also had a header put above the overhead cupboards up to the ceiling as it gives a much neater finish and stops the top of the cupboards collecting lots of dust. (The builder who built this house actually arranged and paid for all of this.) I have some photos of some of the things they did: https://imgur.com/a/vx0SZna I still have to build and install the new Ikea storage unit that I bought for the dining area before I can completely rearrange my kitchen-dining storage. Some of the things that are currently in the kitchen can move across to the dining area, which will mean I don’t have to have the kitchen cupboards crammed quite as full as they are now. It’s a couple of weeks before that will be sorted out.

My controlled day went very well yesterday. I didn’t even need both the snacks that I’d planned (I ate the apple but not the yoghurt). Still not hungry this morning either, but it’s another NFD. I want Friday to be a FD as that’s when I will be filling the melting moments with orange butter cream and the french macarons with white chocolate ganache. I don’t want to be tempted to sample them – I want to confine my indulgences to Saturday.

I’ll take a photo of today’s food later when I make my lunch. I still haven’t decided whether to have boiled eggs with toast or open grilled sandwiches for lunch. I’ll see what I feel like at midday. At the moment I’m only interested in my next cup of tea.

Have a nice day everyone. Good luck to those fasting.

Morning all, I have a close relationship with my scales. It does make sense that we’d gain a bit of weight in between FDs so don’t despair. As long as the trend is downward overall, that’s all we need.

CalifD, hoping Crickets will carry on without us. As mentioned last week, I’ve noticed over the years that people who stopped posting had often also stopped fasting. There are some exceptions of course like Minka, Intesha and Merry who manage to keep going perfectly well without us. It’s good that your DS has you for support if she chooses to carry on fasting.

Cinque, I remembered what I wanted to say. You prompted me to buy some kippers. I used to like them for breakfast when I lived in England. But now I don’t eat at breakfast time so I’d probably be having them at dinner. There are no instructions on the tin. I seem to remember partially opening the tin and steaming them – is that how you heat them? And what do you have with them? I would have had toast but that’s not an option.

Quacka, that sounds like fun for your OH. Hi to you, Arel.

LJ, our posts crossed, good morning. I love my bulkheads over the kitchen cabinets and would never have open space above or high cupboards that can’t be reached again. We have 11ft ceilings.

I’ve decided to fast today. I am even going to break with tradition and have roasted red pepper and ginger soup, 112 calories, instead of cauliflower.

Hello again,
    Having my coffee!

Ooh Thin, kippers! I just looked up the brand (John West) site when I got mine and their ideas were toast (yum!) and with pasta. Hmm, not very useful for you. I did a little google (can’t help myself) and, as well as eating them straight out of the can, the popular idea was to have them with eggs (scrambled, poached) or as part of an English breakfast. There were people putting them in salads as you would tuna (and I think I’ll try that as I haven’t managed to try tuna yet) and someone put them in kedgeree.
    But my own experience is limited to one can, so I am not very useful. I wonder if anyone else has good ideas.
    But, re heating them, for having them on toast they said lay them on the toast and then put them under the grill for a minute to warm them. So that is what I did.
    I also came across some pictures of lovely looking non canned kippers and they looked so appetizing!

Nice to be fasting with you! That red pepper soup sounds wonderful.

Cate, enjoy that golf!

LJoyce, I am remembering the taste of beautiful home-made melting moments! Lovely.
    Do you think everything will be organised in two weeks? Let’s have a virtual housewarming party then! Full of good wishes and suitable for anyone fasting because it will be calorie free 😉 😉

Coffee’s finished, I’m off again.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,951 through 17,000 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.