Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 5 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,901 through 16,950 (of 28,011 total)

• LJ I am entering a new phase on my war on birds (or more rightly, war on birds that dig up my garden). I have created a little wire cover for my veges, and am about to stretch similar wire across the garden, and under the mulch. I am also going to become more forgiving and philosophical about nature (perhaps). BTW northern hemispherers … the scrub turkey is also known as a bush or brush turkey. They are protected (just as well) and the males build mounds when the season is right. It’s not uncommon for a mound to be a metre tall and even wider. I have seen a male try to move branches from one corner of our garden to the other (and across the pool in the process). The female then gives it the nod of approval (or not). She then either lays her eggs, or he busies himself again going higher and wider. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-26/scientist-cant-explain-brisbane-brush-turkey-explosion/5987606
    Thin we can take comfort from the fact that both our noisy neighbours are renters who may move on. You and I may get quieter ones next time. (and I’d be asking for my Easter eggs back!).

And congratulations Thin – an amazing achievement and very inspirational to read your story.

Cinque, that bread in your photo is beautiful! I love the look and taste of crusty breads. Good job on posting the photo.

Thin, congrats on your 4 year 5:2 anniversary! That is definitely something to celebrate! You definitely have the right mindset and dedication.

My FD today(Monday) went pretty well and my DS joined me.this is her 3rd fast. I think she will be hooked once she begins seeing results.

Sybs, love your photo. That stew looks really good.

Thanks Lindsay. Getting to this point was made so much easier with the help & support of some amazing people on this thread, past and present, yourself included.

Hi CalifD, thank you! It’s been great to have you here. Fabulous news about your DS. Is she lurking here?

Thanks for your fasty photo, Sybs. Here’s my day’s intake (coffee not shown but the frozen portion of almond & coconut milk gives me two good cups). Cauliflower soup with 1tbs plain yoghurt added to make it thick & creamy but, in the photo, not yet mixed through. 1 teabag for umpteen cups of tea. Well, 2 or 3 usually. And the second photo shows the Hairy Bikers’ Healthy Cottage Pie – who would believe this could be a FD meal? I’ll add about 10 frozen blueberries to the 50gms of cottage cheese if I feel hungry later tonight. What’s not to love about fasting? https://imgur.com/a/37wFkh6

Well after quite some time of non activity and ill health I am back on the 5-2 way of living. Since I last posted here I have broken my leg,torn a tendon in my shoulder and my back has constantly flared up. Oh for being old! Hence I have not done any significant amount of exercise in ages, weight has piled on! I got up this morning and thought! Bugger it, all this weight is compounding my health problems so I have to do something about it. I know I can do this and I must say that I find doing the fast days very easy,my main problem is that after about 6pm I pick and I also have a sweet craving.
    But I am determined to loose around 15 kilo to be back to a fit and happy me.
    So here we go. šŸ˜€
    ( thanks cinque. Lololol)

Welcome back CR. I remember you very well because you made me laugh when you said you wanted to lose weight as sweet revenge for when you saw your ex-husband with his new woman. Good luck!

Hooray, I’m glad you found your way back here Charlotte Rose. šŸ™‚
    I do so hope you get a clear run now and write posts here instead of giving in to the evening cravings. You can do it!

I’m at the end of a very fasty Fast Day. I went opshopping this afternoon instead of boiling an egg, and went to 5 opshops! I did find a few good things, but I am so tired. I was irritable (or at least my gut biome was!) (and maybe my poor brain) driving home. Luckily the surrounding cars couldn’t hear me muttering.

Now I have had a wonderful big bowl of miso soup and feel human again.

Thin, congratulations! https://media0.giphy.com/media/WyE7PhAXrKTEk/giphy.gif
    What a great ‘speech’. I hope lots of people scrolling through ‘recent posts’ got to see it. And it was page 338 on my computer!

Your Hairy Biker’s Healthy Cottage Pie looks just wonderful!

B2B didn’t work for me this week, sisters things tomorrow and Thursday morning. Yippee.

LJoyce, will do re the yuba.
    I cook my bread in a big tagine (Maxwell Williams, some kind of metal?) that works brilliantly. You must have got your Dutch oven too hot, that seems amazing. Did you heat it up in the oven or on the stovetop?

It sounds like your exercise physiologist will be wonderful!

I hope that composting gets going Sybs. Mine is gorgeous at the moment as my daughter is doing Family Day Care twice a week, looking after two extra kiddies, and I get the scraps! Also a couple of neighbours contribute to it too. It is steaming hot at the moment! Turning everything wonderfully black and crumbly.

Lindsay, good luck protecting your garden from the birds. Would a scarecrow keep the scrub turkey away?

Cali, thanks for that bread compliment. Yes, I love a crunchy chewy crust.
    I had kippers on toast the other morning and discovered that I LOVE kippers! I think I could eat them twice a week for my 2 serves of fish.

I’m going to collapse in front of the telly now. Good night everyone. There were a lot of unexpected Tuesday Fasters today, I hope everyone is feeling good!

I was a Tuesday faster too & will be glad when it’s breakfast time. I have drunk SO much green tea. I won’t even try to keep up with all of the posts since I was last on here. I hope I get better at it! Coincidentally I saw an exercise physio yesterday & now have a program tailored to me. She was great & I feel really motivated again. With that & 5:2 this weight should start to shift.

Hi all. I too had a Tuesday FD. 2 boiled eggs sprinkled with savory yeast flakes (nutritional yeast) at lunchtime and vegies with 2 small pieces of chicken for tea.

Im only eating 2 meals per day now at 11.30am and again between 5 and 6pm, trying to stick within a 6 hour window so i have a fasting period each day of 18hrs.

OH and I are going well with minimising our red wine consumption. We shared 2 bottles over the 3 days we stayed in the Clare Valley (hard not to when your in the middle of South Australia’s wine growing region) but we’ve had nothing at all during the working week for the last few weeks so happy with that.

Hope everyone is travelling well.

My FD yesterday was a can of pink salmon for lunch, a banana as a snack in the afternoon, 454 gram bag of frozen mixed vegetables steamed (mostly string beans and pumpkin and carrots) and a peach. It came in at 513 calories per myfitnesspal.

Thin, I donā€™t think my DS is lurking yet, but Iā€™m trying to get her to at least come and say hi. Sheā€™s a Twitter fan and I donā€™t know if sheā€™s ever posted on a forum. Love the photos of your food yesterday. That Hairy Bikerā€™s recipe looks good. Itā€™s interesting to see everyoneā€™s countertops. šŸ˜

Gday, I never thought of sprinkling nutritional yeast on hard boiled eggs, but it sounds good. Iā€™m going to try it. I follow about the same sting schedule as you do on FD. Good on you for reducing your wine consumption. I donā€™t know what it is about alcohol, but it seems to add weight more easily than other drinks or food with similar calories.

Cate, exercise is always good. Iā€™ve been doing a lot of walking lately and it seems to help some. Maybe itā€™s just that while youā€™re exercising, youā€™re not eating.

Good morning,
    Lovely day after Fast Day for quite a few of us šŸ™‚

Also my first try at beetroot kvass was ready to be decanted this morning. What a luscious drink it has become. I’ve set it up for its next ferment, so hopefully that will go as well.

Cate, that is excellent that your exercise physiologist has been helpful too.

Time to pull out this good one again:
    “Inspiration is what gets you going.
    Routine is what keeps you going.”

Keep going everyone!

Gday, it sounds like you are going well, and I’m so happy that readjusting how alcohol fits in your life is working out. When you do have a glass it will be so appreciated. Have you had a chance to experiment with some of your new ingredients?

Cali, an excellent day for you, and are you able to walk outside yet? I haven’t heard more about your fires so I hope that means they are calming down.

Best wishes to everyone.

PS Cali, just saw this. Funniest headline. From an Adelaide paper: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkiObW8UwAYjwI8.jpg:large

G’day- do you only eat between 11.30-6 every day of the week? Well done on cutting down your red wine consumption. I have a feeling that is what is holding me back. Wine has always been a big part of our lives including selling it, so it’s the hardest thing for me to cut down on. We usually share a bottle on NFD’s.
    Cali- I think exercise just makes you feel better about almost everything, so long as you don’t overcompensate by eating too much afterwards.
    Cinque- the EP was lovely & very helpful. I will persevere. I think I will set out my food for my next fast day tomorrow & will try something different I think as no weight has gone yet.
    That is so funny about the parrot!

Good morning everyone. I have just caught up on all the posts. Whew!! That was a lot of reading.I have been trying to read a little each day but work has been crazy busy and I have barely had time for anything else.

Welcome Sekgwa and welcome back Charlotte. Hi to everyone šŸ™‚

B2B was almost successful this week. Monday was a great FD and even Tuesday (day) was. I ended up having two beers last night with a very light dinner so I think I may have got to around 800 calories yesterday. I am not too worried as the scales are down again this morning. However, today I am planning another 800 calorie day. So far so good.

On September 8th we are going to the races at Kembla Grange. The OH’s company is hosting it and all food and drinks will be provided, also transport to and from the venue. I am excited as I will be able to wear something nice and hopefully have a lovely day. As an extra bonus, the OH will have to wear something nice as well which will be a change as he is a surfie who wears board shorts and thongs most of the time!!

I’m at work now so I better go and get into it. Hope you all have a great day and hopefully when I post next I will have broken my weight record!! I am about 100g off it lol šŸ™‚

XX

Hi, Quacka- only 100g off your weight record? Wow! Reading things like this is what will keep me persevering with 5:2.

Good morning. Glad to hear that all those fasters yesterday had a mostly good day.

Welcome back CharlotteRose, I hope you slip back easily into a 5:2 routine.

Quacka I have my fingers crossed that the 100g will be gone by tomorrow.

GDSA, sounds like you have a nice time in the Clare Valley and are back on track, diet wise, now you are home.

Cinque, that exercise mantra was well timed as I need to get back to the gym tomorrow. My exercise physiologist has adjusted the program to make my back safer from further injury and my doctor has given me the ok to get back into it slowly.

Lindsay, I’ve always know them as bush turkeys, although officially down here they are called mallee fowl.

Good morning also to Lindsay, Sybs, Thin,Cate, Minka, Merry, Cali, Penguin, Sekgwa and anyone else I’ve missed.

Arel, how are you going?

I’m catching a suburban train today (for the first time in about 30 years). I’m heading into the city to catch up with ex-work colleagues for lunch. It will also allow me to fit in a bit more walking as it’s 5 blocks to the station from home and Adelaide railway station is on the northern end of the CBD so it’s always a walk to wherever you want to go (about 7 blocks for me today).

Today’s photo has some empty dishes to account for an Italian cafe lunch.
    https://imgur.com/IXImNo4
    My plan is to have a small bowl of muesli with kefir for brunch (because I don’t want to get to the cafe with an empty stomach in case it tempts me to order a big bowl of pasta). Lunch will be either a large bowl of their minestrone with crusty bread or a small bowl of minestrone with bruschetta which has tomato mushrooms and ricotta on it. If I need an afternoon snack I’ll have an apple. Dinner is a small serve of chilli con carne (about 3/4 cup) which I will have with a big dollop of greek yoghurt. Drinks, both home and out, will be either water or cups of tea.

Today is day 3 in a row of NFDs and my tightest jeans did up easily this morning. That normally only happen after a FD, so I think controlling my snacking and taking daily photos is helping with my NFD eating.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all. Great after FD for me too – lowest I’ve been in ages. …though more broken sleep after partying started at 2 am. We called the police at 3.30 but now at 10 am, it continues. Aaaahhhhh!!!

My FD lunch consisted of a lot of celery, a few cherry tomatoes, some green beans and some capsicum with a little cheese. I had a small tin of salmon when I got home from work, followed by some white fish and lots of veges for dinner. I should have had the salmon with lunch, instead of the cheese, but I wanted to avoid the fishy smell in my office. Oh, and I had a square of Lindt dark chocolate.

I hadn’t thought about a scarecrow Cinque – we have half a dozen turkeys which regularly wreak havoc. It’s certainly worth a try.

Welcome back CharlotteRose. You’re in a good place, and a good frame of mind. I deal with those evening cravings by flossing and brushing immediately after dinner. It marks the end of food for the day but also the toothpaste taste kills any thought of snacks.

GDay I’m doing almost the same as you – 16:8. I try to have dinner by 7, then eat anytime after 11 am, depending on work breaks. I’ve also cut my alcohol intake. Like you, we shared a bottle of red most nights, but my OH’s doctor recommended 3 months without, to help with gout, and we’ve kept the habit going while I’m trying to lose weight. I thought it would be really hard but it’s easier than I imagined.

Thank you for the congrats Cinque, I enjoyed the attachment you sent me. I hope you found some nice items at the op shops. I’d forgotten about your sisters visiting this week; have loads of fun with them. I laughed so much at that parrot – where did that headline come from? CalifD, have you ever taught your birds any good swear words?

Lindsay, OMG. Tuesday night? Tomorrow’s leaders with their developing brains permanently soaked in alcohol. God help us all. What do your other neighbours have to say?

I took one of my neighbours to a movie preview last night – “Book Club”. Ageing American actors reading the ‘Fifty Shades Of Grey’ series so you can imagine the theme. Mildly amusing, not really my style of movie but we did get a few laughs out of it.

Trying to eat some breakfast because I have a class to attend this morning but I just can’t eat this early, especially after a FD. It will have to await my return at 12.30pm. Have a great day all.

The full parrot story: https://www.joe.co.uk/life/parrot-gets-stuck-on-roof-tells-firefighter-making-rescue-attempt-to-fk-off-194748 Amused to read the name of the Fire Brigade manager!

Hi Everyone, quick check in at lunch time on my 800 calorie day.

So I have had a small (large) bout of “hangriness” this morning. Work has been busy and things were not going to plan at all and I ended up in tears. I am fine now but I think the frustration of it all just got to me. So anyway I decided I had better eat something, maybe it would help. I ate a mandarine mid morning and then I just ate a small tub of hommus and some corn thins. Also a cup a soup with some konjac noodles and leftover lamb. I am full now and getting ready to get all this work finished! I have had about 400 calories at a guess. I can still do this!!

Oh by the way Cate, I should clarify that I am 100g off my weight record since starting 5:2. I still have about 10kg to lose to reach my goal weight but I know I will get there. I actually love this way of eating as I am still “allowed” to eat.
    Please persevere with your FDs. It really works even though there are times when you will reach plateaus and the scales will lie to you. Don’t let it get you down, just look at the long term picture x

I had to go back a page to find thin’s post about 4 years on 5:2 other wise I would have lost what I had already written.

Congratulations thin!! That is just awesome šŸ™‚

The other inspiring things that you wrote in that post were also awesome. x

Glad it wasn’t me rescuing that parrot. I would have laughed so much I’d probably have fallen off the roof!

Hello everyone. I keep my eating window between 11.30 and 6pm most days. I find it easy during the week while im at work as im fortunate to have a job where i can take my lunch break at anytime that suits me or just eat at my desk while im working at anytime during the day. There is also a huge well equipped kitchen for cooking which is bigger than the average size kitchen at home. The eating window doesnt always work on weekends as OH likes to have a cooked brekky but when we have that we usually skip lunch and just have our evening meal. Lucky for me OH is not an overeater and has taken to FDs and our new way of eating easily.

I havent had much opportunity to try my new ingredients except for the nutritional yeast and mct oil. On saturday im making pasties and pies for the freezer so will be experimenting using cassava flour instead of white flour for the pastry…..fingers crossed. I was going to also try the rye flour but ive done some research and think its better used for bread making. That’s another weekend job, i have sourdough starter ready to go so looking forward to starting that process.

Actually i have to say im quite proud of my journey over the last 18 months. Besides the weight loss, there’s switching to whole foods and eliminating processed foods, becoming mindful of nutrient intake and what the body really needs,making kefir, sauerkraut and now sourdough, taking on yoga, fitness and switching to natural beauty products. Its been an incredible journey and learning curve and i wouldn’t change one bit. Oh and of course hooking up with OH has been pretty cool too. ..lol.

So im enjoying the last few days of my 40’s…..on Monday I turn 50. Im feeling ok about it and in fact looking forward to the milestone. It will be a quiet one though as im not one for hoohaa for birthdays. OH is buying me the food dehydrator and Miss D is buying me some books on paleo and low carb eating.

Must dash….take care everyone

Charlotte, good to see you here. This time youā€™ll embrace this way of life and get to your goal.

Cinque, that story about the macaw is hilarious! Parrots pick up thing they hear often, especially words they hear yelled or spoken in a loud voice. Almost every one of them that lives with humans learns to say, ā€œShut up!ā€ because they can be so loud. I hate hearing that so I strongly encourage OFM not to say that around them. Ours yell, ā€œBe quiet!ā€ Or ā€œKnock it off!ā€ Itā€™s funny sometimes to hear one of them go off on a screaming tirade (usually around sundown) and then follow up in a quieter voice with ā€œQuiet!ā€ They yell the dogā€™s name when he runs to the door barking and tell him to knock it off. He often listens. šŸ˜
    That cage they showed later with the Macaw in it was way too small for such a big bird. No wonder it took off. Our two birds have large cages but the doors are always open unless weā€™re away from the house and thatā€™s only because one bird can sometimes be too aggressive towards the other. They have their own room with a big window overlooking the family room. They have big hanging perches and their own small telly and DVDs which they watch in the evening. They scream when the movies end. šŸ˜

Gday, nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor thatā€™s great on pasta or anything where you want a non-dairy substitute. I tend to use it in spurts and then forget about it for a while. Itā€™s often fortified with vitamin b12. I bet youā€™ll end up buying more.

Quacka, sorry you were experiencing so much frustration with your job today. Work can be very stressful. Try not to let it get to you. Take it from me, stress isnā€™t healthy.

Lindsay, I hope some of the other neighbors are complaining too. Enough calls to the police and they may do something about it.

Thin, ā€œBook Clubā€ is on my watchlist for when it comes to Netflix or some other streaming medium. But it sounds like you were underwhelmed. Lots of good actors in it.

Good morning SHs

Cali, what a lovely story about the antics of your birds. I had quite a giggle at them telling the dog off. It’s clear to see that they are truly family members.

GDSA, I think having your life in quite a good place at the moment will help you ease into the next decade. Good luck with the cassava flour – that’s one that I’ve never used. You are right about the rye, it makes lovely bread especially if you have your own starter.

Yesterday I did not adhere to plan. In the afternoon I had cheese and crackers because I felt like them. After the lunch I’d eaten it wasn’t hunger that was driving me but I gave in anyway. I suspect that walking through the Adelaide Central Market and looking at all of the food on offer (but not buying any of it, except some veg) meant I felt a bit cheated. As far as deviations go, this was a minor one that I can live with.

Today is a FD for me, and for once I’m cooking rather than thawing soup.
    https://imgur.com/4vOLhfB
    No I don’t plan to eat all of this today, it will make two generous serves, so my next FD is covered as well. My drinks will be water and cups of tea. Snack will be a banana and dinner is a stir fry. I have about 100g of marinated chopped chicken breast that I covered in garlic, ginger and tamari before freezing. A one kilo bag of mixed frozen veg and a packet of the Changs konjac noodles. In the picture I’ve also shown the low sodium tamari that I use and I also put a few drops of sesame oil onto my bowl of food as a garnish – it really lifts the flavour. I will also add more garlic, ginger and sometimes chilli to the pan when I cook the chicken.

I usually use fresh veg in my FD stir fry, but this packet of veg has been in the freezer a couple of months and needs to be used before it deteriorates. I usually keep something like this in the freezer so that I can throw a FD meal together quickly when there’s little left in the fridge.

Today is the only day this week where I don’t have to leave the house for something. Although I will go for a walk. I need to get the washing and some other housework done today.

Have a good day everyone.

Quacka, thank you! And well done to you too. It sounds like you’re making the healthy changes you need to get to your ideal weight. As you’ve read, I’m so happy to have found 5:2. My only regret is that I was 58 when I finally got control over food rather than it controlling me. But you, spring chicken, are adopting this WOL much earlier in your adult life which could genuinely impact your future health & longevity. I hope things improve at work. I’ve found being slim very empowering & I hope you do too. I remember having to give a public speech after dropping several dress sizes. I felt so much more confident not having to stand uncomfortably with my arms loosely folded across a big stomach, but instead hands free & displaying a waist.

CalifD, the interactions between your birds and dog are hilarious. Do you have all that recorded on video?

Have a good FD, LJ and a lovely time with the sisters, Cinque.

LJ, that sounds really good for a FD meal. Sesame oil is such a great addition to a stir fry. Just a few drops has such an intense flavor. I often use it in Asain inspired salad dressings along with lemon or orange juice, balsamic vinegar, tamarind, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds. It goes well with a salad of mixed greens and quinoa.

LJ, after looking at your photo, I scrolled down to see some of the other posts. And look what I found: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/SQ5YMnq
    And here Cinque was rolling her eyes šŸ™„ at foreigners who thought there were kangaroos hopping down the streets in Australia. Hah! I knew it was true! šŸ¤Ø šŸ˜†

Haha Cali I actually bought 3 packets of nutritional yeast while in Adelaide …..i must have had a premonition that i would like it

Cali, not sure where that film was taken, but if it was a city, I’d suspect Canberra. I have seen kangaroos bounding down suburban streets in Bruce (a suburb of Canberra). The other cities are too built up for that to happen unless you live on the very outskirts of the suburbs. It doesn’t even happen much in country towns. You are more likely to see them in the farmland (where there’s more to eat) than the towns.

Hi SH’s šŸ™‚
    LJ- shopping at the Adelaide Central Market & only buying veggies is downright heroic! No wonder you had crackers & cheese. I’m fasting today too. This time I have worked out exactly what I am going to consume & put it into My Fitness Pal. I am not going to eat anything that I haven’t inputted.
    After seeing kombucha in here & hearing about it elsewhere I bought a bottle of it the other day & just had 100 ml with my lunch. YUM! It was lemon, lime & mint flavoured. Delicious! I’ll leave enough calories for a whole bottle next FD.
    Thin- feeling slim is empowering & I have missed that feeling. I’ll get back there, I hope.
    Cali- your salad dressing sounds delicious. Haha re the kangaroos hopping down the street video. I reckon that would be Canberra too.
    G’day- I might have to get some of this nutritional yeast too. I just googled it & see it’s high in B12 & is a “complete protein”. Apparently, it has a high phosphorus content which can deplete the body of calcium so some yeast manufacturers now add calcium also. I’ll ask about fortified nutritional yeast in our local wholefood shop. Is that what everyone buys? I recently bought hemp seeds as they are very high in protein & they may do a similar thing. We sprinkle them on just about everything.
    I seem to be coping better today, having something solid for lunch( egg, celery, cucumber & 1/2 a tbspn of hummus) rather than a FD soup. It may be the key for me.
    Hope everyone is having a good day!

FD for me today – I am just having my first meal of the day (celery, a little cheese, capsicum, green beans and cherry tomatoes) and five cups of green tea (well, one cup topped up another 4 times). Can I get 2 more kilos off before Bali in 13 days now? Off to see Elvis Presley tonight (well an impersonator) so I may have to spend a couple of hundred cals on a glass or two of wine with friends before the show! First in ages – 2 glasses will probably see me dozing gently in the second half.
    Thin it was a public holiday here yesterday so Tuesday night led into a Wednesday booze-up.
    No potential leaders among this bunch. I’m not being elitist when I say I’ve never heard an intelligent conversation from that verandah – ever. We called the police who came late morning and were very encouraging and told us to call any time, 24/7. Our noisy neighbours saw them coming and cut the noise until 5 minutes after the police left. We later found another neighbour made a call to police at 2.45 am. The real estate agent has now issued a breach order – but can’t terminate their lease over a noise issue, apparently. We’ll see what happens.
    Calif that was quite an education about birds. I never knew any of that stuff. V interesting. Maybe I could train a bird to scream ‘shut up you clowns’ at my noisy neighbours?
    Quacka sorry work is causing you pain ….hopefully it’s short-term.

Lindsay, the bird would probably just join in the yelling. Most parrots like noise and donā€™t need a lot of encouragement. You must hear that with the Cockatoos there. They can be voracious screamers. When Gillian was alive we used to have screaming contests when I was the only one home. He always won. šŸ˜ƒ Fortunately, theyā€™re usually quiet after ā€œlights outā€ at around 7 pm.
    Glad to hear that other neighbors are calling the police as well. I would think that the more complaints they get, the more likely youā€™ll be to see some resolution.

Tomorrow is a FD for me. Maybe Iā€™ll do a green salad with a can of salmon or tuna for lunch. I want to try to get some more walking in too. The air has been fairly clear the last couple of days. The fires are still mostly burning, but far enough away and the wind isnā€™t blowing the smoke in our direction most of the time. Itā€™s also cooled down a little, thank goodness! Hope it stays that way for a while.

Cate, I donā€™t know if our nutritional yeast is fortified with calcium or not. I usually purchase it from a bulk bin and havenā€™t paid attention to the labeling lately. I keep it in a Lock and Lock container to keep it fresh. I usually donā€™t like fortified foods other than the D3 in milks because itā€™s too hard to keep track of additional vitamins or minerals, especially if theyā€™re added to products where you donā€™t expect them. It could be be easy to overdose on something if itā€™s added to a lot of different foods. Or interact with the absorption of other nutrients. Iā€™d rather just take a vitamin pill if I think I really need it. Another reason to avoid processed foods.

That last ā€˜roo in the video could use a little 5:2, donā€™t you think? Could be our mascot, the ā€œ5:2 Rooā€ work in progress. šŸ˜€

Hi everyone. Just checking in.
    Still getting back into the swing of things.
    My Dad is so glad to be back living with us – love him to bits!
    OH now needs an urgent pacemaker – has appt on 29 August with Cardiologist. Life is never dull!

I hope you are all having a wonderful week.

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Cate, you will definitely get there! Stick with it and keep posting.

Lindsay, there’s some encouraging news in your post. I wish you all the best, especially hopeful if your neighbours help with the complaints and don’t leave it all to you and your OH. One of our more sympathetic councillors told us that a log of just one person/family repeated complaints has little effect in decision-making. When several people have logged complaints, it has a lot more impact. I think this would hold true with the police as well. After a while, you just become known as the whingers otherwise.

A screaming parrot would be great fun but yours will have to less polite than CalifD’s birds’ “Knock it off’. The one on the London rooftop, “F*c* off” would be more appropriate to your situation. And, by the way, with your love of shoes, it’s not you who’s driven Quacka to tears at work, I hope? Have fun with Elvis. It will be interesting to see if you still drink two glasses of wine after such a long abstention. How you fit that into a FD is beyond me. I’d blow it for sure.

Hi Arel, LJ, Merry, Cinque, everyone.

* be less polite, sorry

Good morning everyone,

Re the kangaroos jumping down our streets, here is what has been happening in Broken Hill : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-16/emus-take-over-broken-hill/10122430

And oh dear we have had wild fires before winter has even ended and forecasts that it is the worst season coming since the 2007 Black Saturday season.

In better news, I had a lovely time with my sisters, thanks Thin, and they even liked my beetroot kvass. I am such a convert. Excited to make ‘sweet potato fly’ when beetroot season is over, and when I have finished writing this I will google whether anyone has used quinces for a healthy fermented drink.

Quacka, so close to your record! Exciting times. And what fun it will be choosing your outfit for the races. Good luck to OH scrubbing up too!

LJoyce, I hope you enjoyed the train, I love them, even suburban ones. Yay for the tight jeans success.

Lindsay, I finally looked up bush turkeys and they really do look like turkeys!
    Crikey they are big.

Gday, I wonder how the pastry went. I use tapioca flour to make Brazilian Cheese Puffs, and it has such a weird texture.You have had an amazing year what with food adventures and romance. Enjoy the last weekend of your 40’s!

Arelkade, so glad you could pop in, and say hi to your dad! Best wishes to OH, I was listening to a radio program about how the Boris Karlof film of Frankenstein inspired the doctor to invent the pacemaker! Amazing.

It looks like a beautiful morning here, bright and sunny. Best wishes to where you are. Mindful eating and good choices! Cheers all.

Hi Cinque, I got here a few hours ago but there was no-one around so I went for a walk. Those poor emus! Especially the one that stacked it on the road. Good that you enjoyed your sisters’ visit. Hair appointment shortly so must get on.

Good morning SHs

Arel, hope things go really well with your husbands surgery. So glad your dad has settled in. I imagine he’s much happier now.

Thin & Lindsay, the issues you’ve had with neighbours make me so thankful for my quiet ones (I’m touching the wooden table just to safe!). Lindsay I hope the multiple complaints have some impact.

Cali, I think that large roo is a fairly normal fully grown male. They are very big.

Cate, Cali & GDSA, I haven’t tried nutritional yeast, but have seen it in health food stores and also at the Central Market. I had assumed it was just an alternative to parmesan cheese for vegans, I hadn’t realised it had a complete range of protein amino acids and B12. My pantry is groaning at the though of me stashing more things on the already overcrowded shelves, but I might consider trying this one.

Lindsay, less that 2 weeks until your Bali holiday – getting excited yet?

Cinque, the train journey to the city was quick and smooth (a third of the time of driving). The bus I caught home was the opposite – a very rough ride and it took longer than driving would have. I had planned to take the train both ways, but the veggies I bought at the market were quite heavy and the bus stop is much closer to the market than the train station. At least I’ve now tried both options and now where to catch buses etc. I won’t be using the bus often, but the train I’m happy to use when I need to go to the city.

I have a physio appointment at lunchtime. I’m hoping he can improve my lower back. It is slowly getting better but, I’m still very stiff and sore in the mornings.

I have taken 2 photos for today but I wasn’t able to show just today’s food and I forgot to include snacks in the picture.
    https://imgur.com/a/T9vxXV8
    Snacks – not pictured, but are a small banana and 100g yoghurt.
    Lunch – is a small bowl of butternut-lemon soup with 2 slices of toasted sourdough which I will top with ricotta, tomato and kale-sprout leaves.
    Dinner – I will prepare and bake all of these veg (that I bought at the Central Market on Wednesday). This should be enough for at least 4 meals. I will put a different source of protein with the veg each night. Tonight I think it will be a frozen crumbed dory fillet, which can go into the oven while I’m cooking the veg. The vegetables are: kale-sprouts (also called kallettes – a cross between brussel sprouts and curly kale), broccoli, jap pumpkin, parsnip, potato, sweet potato and carrot.
    Drinks – are the usual water and cups of tea.

I should say that to make tea I actually use a small 2 cup teapot and usually have 3 pots per day. The teapot I use in the picture is a 6 cup pot so it better represents the amount of tea I actually drink in a day. If I use the larger pot to make the tea, there would be too much temptation to just keep drinking until it was finished and that’s way too many cups of tea. My stopping point seems to always be when the pot is empty, so the smaller pot keeps me under control!

Time for me to have my second cup from the first pot of the morning. I’ve already had a banana as lunch will have to wait until I get home from the physio, which will be close to 2pm.

Have a good day all.

Hi everyone,

Hope youā€™re all doing well. Iā€™m a bit all over the place at the moment, but hope to be back to a better routine shortly.

Checkin: 65.0kgs this morning and 0.7kgs down on my exercise physiologists record this morning, over a 2 week period. I have yet to conquer picking at food.

Someone asked me how pomelo tasted.
    Calories 38/100gms .

Itā€™s a weebit grapefruitish if you can imagine taking out any acidic taste, mouth puckering sensation. It has a slight flavour of passionfruit. The pith area is huge and shouldnā€™t be eaten, the skin of the segments is quite tough. The little, um capsuley things are held more loosley together than in other citrus fruit. One way to eat it is to take a segment, peel of the segment skin off one side and eat the inside. Itā€™s extremely yummy, and peopleā€™s faces light up with an Oh Wow response when they first have it. Itā€™s a tropical tree so not sure if it will fruit in Canberra- I think someone said they had a tree in Canberra. Itā€™s vying with nectarines, raspberries and mandarins for my favourite fruit. I hope it becomes more popular, and some orchards start up in Queensland. Itā€™s huge, so heavy to carry home but so healthy and delicious. The hard bit is pronouncing it. I think the vowels are – pom – as hop, el – as in Emma, o- as in sew.

This week Iā€™ve been finishing off things and starting to catch up with people again.

Thin, Cinque, penguin and Mrs P, Intesha – Iā€™ll catch up very soon.

Sybs- that colour looked good on your fairer skin – pity it only lasted a week.

LJ – glad the photos are helping you get thise NFDs under control. I must be the queen of IKEA flatpacks. Not only can I do it, but I enjoy it! Go figure. Maybe thereā€™s a business there – lol.

Charlotterose – welcome back! OMGoodness – a broken leg! Yuck. But you are right- getting your weight back to normal will make a big difference to your health overall. You know you can do this.

This week Iā€™ve been to a funeral of a dear friend, a family birthday, a friendā€™s birthday, and we have a new baby in the family. The circle of life, and Iā€™ve managed to lose a little this week, but Iā€™ve worked at keeping my intake at those functions moderate , while celebrating at the same time, so my weight has stayed stable this week.

Hugs to everyone,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    And if you fall of the horse, get back on the horse.
    Merry
    PS. I have fallen off and got back on every horse on the merry-go-round and 5:2 still does itā€™s magic.

Hi Everybody! Iā€™m Caifdreamerā€™s sister. This is my second week of the 5:2.

Crickets, good to see you here! And glad you decided to give 5:2 way of eating a try. There are so many nice people on this thread with lots of experience with 5:2.

Arel, I hope your OH has an easy time with the pacemaker surgery. Youā€™ve had a lot to deal with lately, but this will probably make him feel a lot better once itā€™s installed. Glad to hear your dad is settling in well.

Merry, my sympathies for your friend and congrats for the new baby in the family.

Cinque, those poor emus running around the city. Is it just because of the fires that they are there? Not good news that there are fires in the winter there. It must be dry.

LJoyce, nice to hear you are figuring out the area transportation and that itā€™s convenient. Are you still going to keep your car?

Hi Merry, I think snacking on NFDs is one of those behaviours that’s never solved and the slightest trigger can set it in motion, I keep trying to think of ways to limit the damage when it does happen. At least it is for me. But your weight is on a 2 week low which is a good thing, especially given all those challenges you’ve had lately.

Welcome Crickets, how nice to hear from you. Any friend/sister of Cali’s is a friend of ours! We were all really pleased to hear you’d joined your sister on her fast days. I hope you’ve found it fairly easy and will see some good results with health and weight. Some of us are trying to lose weight and some have gotten to our goal and are continuing to use 5:2 the help maintain that new weight. I’m a maintainer, and without 5:2 I suspect I would have regained a lot of weight by now.

Cali, I’m definitely keeping the car. Our public transport system is great if you want to go to and from the CBD but hopeless for everything else.

My day has turned out a little differently than I planned. I didn’t get home from the physio and some errands until 3pm and I just didn’t feel like soup mid-afternoon. So I’ve put my planned lunch aside to have for dinner – because I don’t feel like preparing and baking trays of veggies either. I enclose a photo of what I actually had for lunch/afternoon tea. It’s a cup of tea with 2 slices of toasted NAS fruit and walnut sourdough with ricotta. It hit the spot quite nicely.
    https://imgur.com/VcRa4a4
    The veggies will make another appearance tomorrow when I will hopefully have time to prepare and bake them.

Welcome Crickets! I’m chuckling at two people who live together chatting to each other on the forum! Now we just need CalifD’s OH and we’ll have the trifecta.

Well done maintaining the status quo, Merry. I’m already back to 5:2 after a short-lived period of 6:1. I find it’s all well and good when I’m in control of food but chuck in a restaurant meal or lunch at the neighbour’s house – or both – and it’s hopeless.

LJ, Merry, re: snacking and other NFD behaviours, I often ponder why I can’t just eat ‘normally’ every day. Why do I need IF in my life to maintain a healthy weight? Why do my OFMs not require IF? After all, I provide heir meals. While I’m searching for the answers to those & other questions, I content myself with embracing FDs for putting the brakes on undesirable behaviours and re-setting good eating habits like portion control and food choices. We’re still the people we always were wrt food and perhaps your snacking behaviours can’t ever really be eliminated. It’s just that now we have a tool kit called 5:2.

In the back of my mind, I’m still concerned that all I’ve achieved is to replace a food addiction with a fast addiction and I ask myself how can that be right? So I cling to the hope that fasting is beneficial to my health in other ways, not just for maintaining a good weight & all that goes with that. I do enjoy the discipline that fasting requires – the notion of being in control over food. Now, in my fifth year of this WOL, all I can really conclude is that it works, so perhaps I need not question why. Stick to the FDs and do what feels right on the NFDs?

P.S. CalifD, Crickets & LJ, have you tried the T2 tea called Aussie Wattle Breakfast? Really nice with soy milk. Just enjoying a cup after my marathon experience at the hairdresser. 45 minute wait to be seen after my appt. time followed by another two hours of drudgery! And a really tragic cup of coffee. The lady in the next chair was saying how she loves just sitting there doing nothing. I was thinking to myself, ‘please get me out of here so I can go and do something’. So now I shall.

Cassava Pastry Update – Disaster šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢

Mr Google told me to replace plain flour with cassava flour one for one. So i used my standard Hairy Bikers Cornish Pasty pastry recipie and all appeared to be going well. It looked good, texture seemed right etc so popped it into the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up. However on retrieval I couldn’t roll it out,it stuck to the rolling pin and kept falling apart, not crumbly just wouldn’t hold together.

I knew it wouldnt be any good for pasties so plan B. The meat pie mixture was cooled and ready to go so I used the cassava pastry to line the bottom and sides of my small pie tins which worked ok by pressing the pastry around the tins. Puff pastry on top and into the oven.

It didnt cook through regardless of how long they baked. It was edible…just.

So off i went to coles to buy the standard plain flour and made another batch of pastry reading for pasty making in the morning.

I baked the remaining cassava pastry which will be given to the chooks to eat.

Live and learn….

Thanks for the update GDSA, sounds like cassava flour won’t be on my shopping list soon. Glad the chooks made themselves useful.

Good morning everyone,

Welcome Crickets! Lovely to see you here!

Thin, glad you survived the hair appt. I hope Sybs inspired you. I’m thinking rainbow colours!
    Maybe instead of saying ‘addiction’ you need to say ‘a platform for my brilliant executive management’. Discipline and control are excellent attributes if they are used on the right things, in the right way. They make you a good bridge player too!

LJoyce, Oh dear re the bus. Glad about the train. And I do hope the physio helps with that lower back pain. It is so nice to see you back on form, eating in the way that is good for you.

Merry, good luck to you, reining in the chaos (whatever is possible anyway). I have always heard and pronounced polelo exactly as you described, but I have never tasted one! It sounds so delicious.
    Much sympathy, and empathy, re the ‘picking at food’ thing.
    Welcome to the new baby, how delightful. Life doesn’t stop, does it!

CharlotteRose, are you still there? How is it going?

Cali, it is drought bringing wildlife into towns. New South Wales and part of Queensland are badly affected, and I fear it might spread to Victoria (my state) over summer. We are okay today though, bands of rain and chilly winds. :0

Gday, so sad to hear that the pastry didn’t work. It is soul destroying when a recipe lets you down. It will be interesting to discover better uses for the cassava flour.

I came home tired yesterday and managed to eat about a cup of roasted cashews before I cooked my easy chicken and veg soup. So I am still full this morning and will make today my fast day (since I do have chicken and veg soup to eat through the day now), and I might fast tomorrow too, since I am enjoying B2B at the moment.

Oh, and after saying how much I was loving my beetroot kvass, I realised it is still too sweet for me šŸ™ . I am letting it ferment a bit longer and I will try again.

I’m off to babysit my littlest granddaughter while her big sister goes to a birthday party. Sending out lots of good wishes to those fasting today, those concentrating on not picking at food continually, those planning for their meals, those making good decisions at cafes and restaurants and those who are having a free flowing day too!

Cinque, we have the same thing with wildlife coming down into the towns, often because of fires. But you get the roos and emus and we get mountain lions, bears and rattlesnakes. I think I like yours better! šŸ˜

I dropped a kg to 59.6 after yesterdayā€™s FD. I really need to watch my snacking more closely on NFD. I would like to be at 58 or 59.

I wonder if thin had her hair cut and highlighted? That takes about 2 hours.

Sybs, are you going to try another rainbow color? Do you have much of the aqua/blue left?

Funny Cinque. I’ll keep that in mind. I’m afraid bridge requires a few more skills, including memory & concentration. I’d be laughing if I had the ability to count to 13 simultaneously in four different suits. Meanwhile, I’ll choose the ‘free flowing’ day from your options, whatever that is. Looking forward to resuming my Sunday fasts tomorrow. Last night I made a delicious soup that I think you originally told me about. Bean curd skin & egg. I added shiitake & field mushrooms, choy sum and a dash of sesame oil. I’d soaked the shiitakes for 24 hours which made a big difference to their texture. The beaten eggs are whisked in just before serving. OH said he liked it.

Morning CalifD, we posted together. Good job getting back under 60kgs.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,901 through 16,950 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.