Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 6 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,101 through 16,150 (of 28,011 total)

• Thin, it sounds like we’re fasting on the same day, which is my Tuesday and your Wednesday. (It’s hard to get used to the 15 hour time difference for you.)
    And LJoyce will be moving today. Woohoo! But what’s up with such a long delay in getting services hooked up? Is the house brand new? Even out here in the hinterlands we were able to call ahead and have everything going the day we moved in. But it wasn’t a new house.

Cinque, I’m going to get the miso today. My regular grocery doesn’t carry the paste. Maybe I’ll try the sachets too. They’re more expensive and probably don’t have the probiotics intact, but they sure are a lot quicker and easier. I’m thinking now how important the salt in the miso might be when fasting. Although my very low sodium levels were probably caused by a medication, the extra salt certainly would have been beneficial. In fact, I read a couple articles about salt that argued that we may need more than is currently recommended. https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20140402/cdc-salt-guidelines-too-low-for-good-health-study-suggests#1
    I wonder if Aus guidelines are the same?

Cheers for moving day LJoyce!

Best wishes Arelkade.

I’m fasting with you Thin! I was sitting here thinking what I would make for breakfast, when I remembered I organised yesterday to do some babysitting of grandkids tomorrow evening and figured I’d rather not do it at the end of a fast day since I have the choice.

So I must get that miso today!

Cali, I stopped eating added salt when I was still a teenager, I didn’t have it in the house until I had my daughter and needed it to make playdoh! Being vegetarian, and eating very little junkfood, I think that I had way too little salt and that has contributed to my illhealth now. I have bad orthostatic intolerance, which is a common symptom of ME/CFS. My blood pressure doesn’t regulate itself properly.

Our guidelines say: “Limit intake of foods and drinks containing added salt.
    Read labels to choose lower sodium options among similar foods.
    Do not add salt to foods in cooking or at the table.”

That does sound overly restrictive. Mostly when talking about it dieticians say to start with less salt in cooking and then taste and add little by little so you don’t oversalt, which sounds sensible.
    But I do make sure I have salt through the day.

Cheers everyone, I hope you have a lovely, mindful, happy day.

How nice to wake up to find two fasters already here today. Thanks for the discussion on salt. It’s tricky trying to keep up with the latest directives on food. I don’t cook with or add salt – it’s the only spice that doesn’t affect food taste if added after cooking (as opposed to during) so I let OFMs and guests add their own. OH does, DD doesn’t. I definitely notice the difference after eating out – I drink gallons of water on return home so perhaps my normal intake is on the low side.

Cinque, I wish I could pop round with some miso for you. I use the inferior sachets for convenience; I know you prefer the real McCoy. I’m stumped for how to use my bean curd skins. Any ideas besides miso soup please? The nutritional info’s all in Chinese and microscopic so I dare not use it on FDs except in a tiny quantity to replace the chicken I used to add, but I would like to make a soup featuring plenty of it for other days.

I’m making leek and potato soup for the OFMs today. Sadly, a thing of the past for me but a good winter standby for them on my FDs.

Have a great day both of you and any one else fasting. Or not fasting.

Hi all.

Im trying to log in each day so i can keep up with the conversations. Hope the move goes smoothly ljoyce – are you staying in the Adelaide Hills or moving further afield ?

My thoughts on salt intake – i believe adding a good quality salt (such as Pink Himalayan Crystal Salt) to our food is vital as our bodies require salt as an essential mineral. Everyday salts have been processed so much that all the essential minerals such as iron, magnesium, calcium and copper have been removed. It goes without saying that processed, takeaway and restaurant food contain way too much bad salt.

On the weekend OH and i went to a neighboring town for some shopping and a day out. I spotted a health food store and rushed in thinking i would find so many wonderful delights. The store contained nothing but wall to wall jars of vitamins and protein shakes……health food i think not. I asked the assistant if she stocked fermenting jars and she looked at me in dismay. I explained what fermenting was and she had absolutely no idea what i was talking about. Hence on returning home i ordered the jars online. I cant wait to start making yummy sauerkraut etc to add to my diet. If anyone has any favourite fermenting recipies they would like to share that would be great.

Some happy news on the home front – OH and I have decided to co-habitate. Living between 2 houses isn’t ideal and we are planning on getting married within the next 12 months anyway (but that bits a secret so dont tell anyone….lol). We are about to start the process of selling his home and making some changes/renovations to mine to give us more living space. The houseing market here is slow at the moment so we’re not expecting a quick sale but that’s ok as it will give us time to get everything sorted.

Well i must go and start on today’s chore list. Number one is to erect a shade over one corner of the chook/duck pen. Thw little buggas have been flying onto the roof of their perching shed and then flying onto the top of the fence and over into the spare block. I came home the other day to find one of the ducks in my front house yard – she had to get over 3 high fences to get there so I’m still a bit bamboozled as to how she did it.

Happy Wednesday everyone 😆😆

Just dropping in quickly bofore I head to town, but wanted to say congratulations to Gday. Hope you both are very happy and the relocation/renovations go well and quickly.

Hope your move is going well LJ. How exciting. You sure have some tips to share on nailing renovations/relocations.

Enjoy your day all. Not a FD for me – OH is joining me in town for steamed dumplings a bit later. I grew to love them when I was living in China and we have found a little hole in the wall that does authentic ones. I’ll eat mindfully though. I had a FD on Monday (very good one for me .. well under the 500), and I’m doing 800 on Thursday and then another 500 FD on Friday. I just can’t get over this hiatus in my weight loss – hopefully I’ll give my metabolism a good talking to with an extra restricted day in there.

GDay, congrats on the happy news of you and OH combining households. Doing renovations on yours will be exciting too. And your secret about your upcoming marriage is safe with us!

Today’s FD went well. I had some retried beans for lunch, something I don’t usually have on a FD. That only left about 150 calories for dinner so I had a small can of salmon. Surprisingly I don’t feel hungry. Maybe it was all the fiber in the beans.
    Thin and Cinque, hope your FD is going well.

Can’t wait to hear how LJ’s move went. She’s probably still in the middle of it since it’s still afternoon there. I hope everything is going smoothly.

A short post to let you know I’ve arrived in my new abode without complication. I’ve been on the go for the last 12 hours so I’ve decided to go on strike. No more unpacking until tomorrow. I’ve made my bed – that’s all that matters tonight.

I can’t remember when I planned to fast next – might do it tomorrow.

LJoyce Woot! I hope you have a lovely restorative sleep and can give yourself an easy day tomorrow.

Gday, exciting times! Won’t you be busy! What a pleasure to be living with the one you love. And making your home into ‘our home’ should be lots of fun. We need a new renovator here now! LJoyce hasn’t got so much more to do.

What a shocker of a health shop! Lots of eye rolling here.
    Wonderful to hear about your sauerkraut, I’m ready for long conversations between you and Cali.

I did get to ‘Friends of The Earth’ Thin and now have two 500g containers full of lovely genmai miso to last me about 6 months.
    And I got to two nearby opshops, but nothing for me today.

Miso soup is cooking: fresh mushrooms, green beans and sliced radish simmering away. I’ll add yuba and laver at the end. I’m SO hungry.
    And I cooked bread so my mouth has been watering for hours (breakfast tomorrow Joy).

I’ve only used the yuba in my miso soup, but I have been thinking what else I would do with it. Once it is rehydrated it doesn’t really need cooking, so I think I might use it in a stirfry. It would want a good sauce so it could soak up the flavours.

My packet is 200g and contains 209kj per 100g and has 6 sticks. I have one in my miso soup so I figure that must be 70kj a stick, and so 17 calories?
    I thought it would be more than that!
    Ingredients are listed as soybeans and water. (not much water 😉 )

Ooh Lindsay, steamed dumplings. Yum. I’ll be cheering you on tomorrow and Friday.

Soup is ready. Bliss.

LJ. Not done yet – tomorrow you have to decide what goes where and which pictures go on which wall. The stress will be intense. Have you met the neighbours yet?

Question. What is an op shop?

I think that it is a charity shop.

Penguin, an op shop is a thrift shop, a shop for used clothing and household items. They don’t call them op shops around here but I got so used to hearing them called that on this thread, that I’ve started using the term, even to family members.

LJoyce, can’t wait to hear all about your new home. You already have your bed unpacked, so I’m guessing a few towels and kitchen things will be next. Are all of the kitchen appliances already there? So excited for you at your new home!

Cinque, I still have to get some miso which I put off yesterday. But it was a successful FD eating other things. I lost 1.2 kg as of this morning.

Lindsay, I love steamed dumplings. I wish I could find a good place for them nearby.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Good morning, Yes, it is really Opportunity Shop, but of course we had to shorten it. They are thrift shops (US) and charity shops (UK) (although we have some big ones that only give something like 1% of profits to charity) selling donated clothes and goods.

Penguin, a cruel reminder to LJoyce! (Although I guess she knows it only too well). Oh dear, so much work ahead!

Day after fast day for me, enjoying a cup of tea before breakfast.

Good morning all. Up earlier than planned as I had trouble sleeping – new bed, new sounds.
    My niece and her daughter are coming today to help me unpack. I think that means I won’t be fasting as I’ve promised them lunch out.

Enjoying a quiet coffee and a read of the posts. I’ve even beaten OH getting up this morning.

LJ, everything can be at your own pace from now on. Although you’re probably like me, I’d want it all unpacked and sorted out immediately. But I definitely wouldn’t want ‘helpers’ doing that job. I wonder if you’ll be hopping on those scales when you find them. For baseline purposes!

Cinque, thanks for the nutritional info on bean curd skins – far fewer calories than I’d have thought.

Congratulations GDSA. Exciting times ahead for your new family.

Yes thanks CalifD, my FD passed without really noticing. I met several people at a cafe and, over my loose leaf pot of lemongrass and ginger tea, I mentioned that I was fasting. One of the ladies is, or was, a dietician and immediately declared that it’s a very unhealthy way of eating. I later asked why and she said because it slows metabolism. This subject has come up quite a bit on this forum, less so on this thread. As we talked more about it, I explained that maintaining a healthy weight ‘outweighs’ everything else for me because I have derived so many health benefits from no longer being overweight. They were all impressed that I’ve sustained this WOL for nearly four years and said they would never have imagined me as being any way other than a slim person. Of course, they haven’t seen me naked.

I think I am going to try some of these bean curd skins – other than being low in calories, are there any worthwhile nutritional components?

Went to see my GP yesterday – he’s very happy with my weight loss and bp readings. I had a shingles vaccination, available free of charge for those of us who are over 70 years old, since age makes us more susceptible

Sybs, I just use it as an alternative form of protein to meat – I find it filling and a delicious texture. Funnily enough, my neighbour has just dropped me off a packet and it reads 100gm=500 kcals. On the front, it reads, ‘Wonderbean’. For some reason, I didn’t have you pegged as an over 70 y/o. More like 50ish in my mind. Any news of JJulie? Please tell her I’m thinking of her. Well done with your scores at the GP office!

Busy this morning as OH and I found a terrified dog while out walking in the thunderstorm. Carried it home trembling, dried, fed and watered it and have finally located the owner who is yet to arrive. This is the second time in two weeks that I have seen this little dog running alone crossing busy roads and it’s not in great condition so I thought it might have been abandoned. I couldn’t get near it the first time. Why do people have dogs if they’re not going to adore them, keep them clean and provide them with a secure home and good company? Grrrr.

Thin, I think people should not have pets if they are not prepared to look after them, it’s so cruel.

wow, these dried bean curd skins (sticks) are actually quite high in calories, glad I have not bought any:-))

actually I have not heard from Julie since she got back from her trip with pneumonia, and I don’t really want to pester her – of course I hope that she is feeling a lot better now than last time we heard from her.

Hi Everyone
    I, too, hope all is well with Julie.
    How lovely of you to care for that poor dog Thin. Obviously where your DD gets her love of animals. Unfortunately anyone can buy a dog. I told my son he could not have a dog so he bought one and moved out of home. He works all day, leaves at 6am and home at 5.30 then out to footy training 2x a week and busy on weekends. He got a rescue pup and he was only 20- don’t they know 20 yos should be working all day? The dog ran off a few times. Anyway he is now here with us ( with his owner 😕) and he is now sitting outside my bedroom sliding door wanting to come in. I am about to take him for a walk.
    How nice of your family to help you move LJoyce, although I’m sure you help them out a lot too. I’m envious of you moving into a new clutter free home. My DD made an offer on a house which was accepted last night, so now we wait to see if their finance goes through before I get excited about more space in my house 🙂
    Sounds like you are very happy Gday, good on you.
    I had expected to do a FD today before I go on a 3 day Girls weekend, but OH made plans for dinner out with another couple. I just couldn’t fast yesterday after Sunday and Monday but I did do a ‘mindful’ day. I ate about 850 cals and today I’m doing mindful as well. Im very pleased with myself over the last week and can’t understand why the last 2 months I have not been able to do this WOL. My weight this morning was 58.4- so pleased- although this weekend might be a blow out, I can get back into it on Monday 🙂
    Have a great day/evening/night everyone xx

Stay, I didn’t think twice about taking care of the little dog. I felt slightly less charitable later when I had to sweep and mop where I’d kept her during the thunder and wash the bedding. She smelled pretty bad. The owner was very apologetic and grateful when he finally arrived several hours after making contact. And I now know where they live so, if I see her again, at least we can take her back.

Sybs, it might be possible to shop around for lower cal bean curds. Because it’s all in Chinese, I can’t tell how it’s prepared. It’s very light though – a large packet weighs only 100gm and you wouldn’t need much.

We went to a new Italian restaurant last night. Against my better judgment, I ordered pasta for the first time in years, tempted by the seafood component. I found it very average and could only eat half. $90 for three of us. No extras, no drinks, just the main dish. Are those of you living in the eastern states paying these kind of prices for basic food?

P.S. Stay, how long before the finance decision is made on your DD’s house purchase?

Morning all. A FD, and the first day of winter. Bliss on both counts. A very chilly 2 degrees to get us started, and up to 22 by midday, and perfect blue skies. We are having a wood fired heater installed week after next so that should warm us up a bit. We have too much glass and too few window coverings to be warm in winter, but this should do the trick.
    Calif and Cinque, pleased to report the dumplings were heavenly! We ordered two plates, and ate just enough. My slim OH likes the pan fried ones, but as he’d left his glasses at home and I had to order, he paid the penalty and I went for the steamed ones.
    I had the loveliest day – my eldest brother and wife have just moved back to the city, and we ran into them. We see them quite often, but it was serendipitous to just see them standing at the lights, and to be able to go for a coffee and a chat. I’ve missed them in the decade or so they’ve been away.
    So LJ, how’s the unpacking going? I loved that you woke early, because of new sounds. Hope they were pleasant ones.
    Thin I wouldn’t be happy paying $30 for an average pasta dish. I guess the seafood increases the price, but still, a lot of money.

hope every one is having a successful FD today, with lots of yummi warm soup for the start of winter. This morning at 06.30 it was cool enough for me to wear a blouse on top of my tank top for my morning walk – 19C
    restaurant prices are pretty high, even here in Cairns – I had a good but pretty basic pizza last weekend (NFD) $21! As far as spaghetti marinara is concerned, when I have it (very seldom), I order it without the spaghetti – just the marinara on a bed of lettuce, not quite the same, but still sociable when eating out with friends.
    Usually I just buy the marinara mix at woolies or coles and then turn it into a lovely, spicy Laksa (without the noodles).
    At the moment I am making a chicken/vegetable soup, enough to last today and for my next FD on Monday.
    Next time I go into town I’ll have a good look at the bean curd sticks, as I am eating less and less meat, I need to find an alternative source of protein.

Good morning. I had a sleep in, which is good, but it means I am very slow getting going today.

Those beancurd sticks! I had to look up kcal and am relieved to see that it is equal to a calorie. So strange that there is such variance with calories yours have more than double mine! I can’t work out why.
    This is a nice article about them though: https://tofu.expert/?p=300 It talks about the nutrition Sybs.

Thin, what an interesting conversation with the dietician, so similar to one I had with a friend, although my friend’s belief was that it set off binge eating.
    I had understood that the slower steady loss of weight, that generally happens with 5:2, is better for our metabolism than faster weight loss.

I am glad the poor dog is home and hopefully you won’t have to rescue it again.

Eating out is too pricey for me!

Cheers Sybs, wonderful assessment from your doctor!
    I can’t wait to be able to have the shingles vaccination after my sister has had shingles so painfully she has needed very strong medication and feels like she has lived the last several months in a fog.
    Your soup sounds so good.

Stay, haha, how many parents are looking after the pet they warned their kids about the longterm responsiblity… she says with her daughter’s cat on her knee.
    So exciting about your daughter’s home. Hope the finance all comes through nicely.

Isn’t is weird how sometimes things are just too hard, and a couple of weeks later we are in the groove. I hope you stay in the groove with your sensible eating days. Hope you don’t blow out TOO much over the weekend. But, as you say, there is always Monday. So do enjoy the weekend!

Lovely weather here for the start of winter. Blue skies and sun, but very crisp.

Lindsay, so lovely to hear of your happy unexpected meet up with your brother and his wife. It is so nice having dear family near.

Yesterday I got a call to pick up a cold display unit and pie warmer that was donated to YamDaisy (community food project). My sister and I picked them up and they are in my little flat for the moment! The cold display unit is this sort: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/COUAAOSwrFtZ~5ft/s-l225.jpg a really wonderful donation but omg SO HEAVY. We had help getting them in the car, and my sisters long experience of working in theatre to help this end. But I am recovering still.

Well somehow it is nearly midday and I need to get going. It’s my second lull day of the week as I thought Tuesday was a lull day while it was happening and then moved my fast day. (Lull day being the day when I didn’t fast yesterday and won’t fast tomorrow. There is usually only one week). I feel amazed.

Cheers to everyone, I hope it is a good day for you, fast day or non fast day.

Hi everyone.

I’m taking a break with a cuppa before I tackle some more unpacking. I’m making good progress, nearly finished the kitchen-living area, although I’m not sure there’s enough cupboards left for the contents of the last 3 boxes. My great-niece did a good job on the study-craft room and there’s spare wardrobe space in there so it might have to hold the kitchen overflow for now. I’ve not made progress with the front bedroom, at the moment it’s a dumping ground for everything that doesn’t have a home.
    I’m seriously thinking about making the front bedroom (which is the master) into the guest room rather than my room. At the moment I’m in a smaller bedroom that’s down near the living room. Surprisingly all of my clothing fits in the smaller wardrobe and chest of drawers. It’s also a quieter room than the front bedroom. I won’t have an ensuite but am directly across the hall from the main bathroom. I think I’ll set it up that way and see how it goes, I can always change my mind later.

I’m expecting the plumber this afternoon to connect the washing machine and fix a few other things.
    I braved the local shopping centre this morning to get some groceries. It’s a massive shopping centre with several multi story car parks. Very different to what I’ve been used to. But I now have some food in the fridge, including chicken and veg for a FD stir fry.

I’m fasting today, just a banana so far. I have a container of butternut soup that I defrosted on moving day for dinner tonight.

I’m sorry to say I’m a bit behind with posts. I did see GDSAs news though – congratulations.
    I’ll try and catch up with other posts later.

Thinatlast I’m in regional SA and a local tavern that has a small pasta menu charges $25 – 30 for a main. Personally I think its very overpriced considering the bulk of the dish is pasta which is cheap as chips to buy.

I do get a lot of amusement from this thread, thank you all!

LJ, CalifD, I am sharing a pot (yes, pot) of T2’s Daintree with OH and DD. Thought of you two. It’s a lovely tea and so rare that everyone’s here at the same time to share a pot (even if we are all in different rooms).

Lindsay, I did laugh about your dumpling selection. Had your OH left his hearing aids behind as well? Or is he just extremely well-mannered? (My OH would have had no trouble correcting my verbal order in front of the waitperson.)

Sybs, GDSA, I always choose my dish on-line before going to a restaurant and had pre-selected their only salad – goats’ cheese and pumpkin. On arrival, the menu made the seafood linguine sound so good that the prospect of defrosted marina mix didn’t even enter my mind. There were two deliciously plump prawns but the rest wasn’t recognisable. Lesson learned. Luckily, I did realise that I wasn’t enjoying it much and stopped eating before I got halfway through, so no weight gain this morning. In the past, I’d have mindlessly eaten the lot and then regretted it. Your idea of asking for food on a bed of lettuce is interesting and something to keep in mind, Sybs. I agree GDSA, pasta is just pasta – a cheap filler.

LJ, you’d mentioned before that you couldn’t move into the front bedroom right away d/t no block-out blinds. It’s great to be able to have a selection! I agree that a quiet, dark room is preferable but I’d also be loathe to give up the ensuite (as I am one who gets up at least once during the night).

Cinque, what a great catch-up post you have given us. I forgot to go to your links before starting this so I haven’t seen the donated appliance. I suspect that, when I do, it will answer my question about whether your DS worked in theatre in a medical capacity or as an actress. And now I’ll read up on the bean curd link you that posted.

P.S. I’m guessing theatre nurse – autoclaving?

Good morning SHs. Welcome to the weekend.

I found my scales so decided to take Thin’s advice and get a baseline for living in this house. I had expected my weight to have gone up a bit since I finished the renovations. It went up more than expected, to just below what I’d consider my normal range. I was 74.5kg this morning. Clearly I can’t maintain the lower weight unless I’m doing physically hard work all day. The snacking I’ve been doing most NFDs hasn’t helped either. I need to get into a healthier regime quickly, as I don’t want to end up in the high 70s again.

I’m heading back up to my old house this morning. The new owners wanted to meet me and I also need to collect my pot plants from my neighbor’s front lawn.

Yesterday’s FD went well. I’m just having breakfast and a cups. That’s something else I’ve noticed lately. I used to get up about 9am. In recent months I’ve been awake by 6 and up by 7 and I seem to feel hungry by 9. The extra calories aren’t helping my weight either I suspect.

Good morning,
    I didn’t think about the two theatres. My sister was a stage manager in theatre (and other shows) and involved in lots of ‘bump ins’ and ‘bump outs’ which involved moving all sorts of things, lots of them heavy, and odd shapes, through odd passages and doorways.

The beancurd skins link I put I loved for its ‘English as a second language’ quaintness. But it mostly explained that the bean curd skin that forms while heating soymilk, is just like the skin that forms when heating dairy milk. It is scooped off and laid flat, or scooped off and made into sticks.

LJoyce, Those snacks! I wouldn’t be surprised if they are more of a culprit than the amount of hard physical work.
    Anyway you have the chance how to settle down and put all your sensible rules in place. All those wonderful things you have learnt and done, while living at your old house, make a lovely healthy baseline for your new one.

Good wishes to you Arelkade.

I did about 5 hours baby sitting last night with two darlings that got increasingly tired but kept bouncing back. Great fun ofcourse, but I’ll take it easy today.

Day before fast day for me.

Cheers to everyone fasting today, and those enjoying a lovely morning after fast day, and those who are concentrating on healthy sensible eating (that would be me too).

LJ, it’s all too easy to get out of a routine, isn’t it? But you will soon be implementing eating routines for your new environs. By the way, did you try the scales in different rooms? It will be interesting to see what your old house looks like with different furnishings.

Cinque, how interesting about your sister. And your grandies sound challenging but fun. I wonder why they don’t seem to sleep well.

We have a couple of dry, sunny days before the rains begin again so I must get into the garden and do some raking. And then consider what to have for my FD meal tomorrow.

Hi everyone

Just popping in to say hello!

Had a wonderful day, yesterday, with my brother – for his birthday, + OH, sister, other brother, our father and nephew. We all enjoyed just being together and catching up.

Think of you all everyday, reading all your interesting posts: thank you.
    Wanting to be more mindful in June!
    Hoping you are feeling more settled into your new home, LJoyce, with each passing day – the start of new beginnings – enjoy the adventure of getting to know your new surroundings!

Enjoy whatever you are all getting up to and bye for now!

Good Afternoon – hope all on NFD (like me) or FD are having a great weekend. We are having a glorious winter day, a bit nippy this morning when I went for my walk, but a lovely 25C now!
    I had weigh-in this morning, and to say that I am pleased would be an understatement 76.2 kg, which means that I have lost around 12kg since starting on 01 February, and only another 10kg to go, and all thanks to 5:2 – well, in my case 4:3, which I find really easy to do. The funny thing is, that on NFDs like today and tomorrow, I still eat pretty much the same as on FDs, with the exception of maybe a small glass of wine with dinner and/or one square of Lindt – I never thought that I would be able to stop at 1 square, but I can, yeah!!

Hello everyone. A post FD today, and I’m cooking a pumpkin and chick pea casserole with cherry tomatoes and spinach. It’s for tomorrow night because my lemon thyme has expired, but I’ll get some and add it in tomorrow. It’s a recipe I found to cook for my vegan brother. If it’s up to par, I’ll do the calorie calculations and post it.
    Arel so nice to have all your family around to help each other through this difficult time. Thoughts are with you.
    Sybs great to get the shingles vaccination. My OH has had it, and I’ll get it too even though it’s quite expensive – our doctor gave us a pretty graphic description of shingles….I am sorry your sister had the dreadful experience Cinque.
    Your little ones sound like my daughter’s. Enchanting, but sleep is never high on their agenda. That said, we went to the 2 year old’s swimming lesson during the week and brought her home with us while my daughter got on with her study. As we pulled up, Miss 2 said, ‘I tired. It my bedtime.’ She woke after an hour in the cot, then cuddled up with me and slept on for another hour in my lap. Unheard of.
    Thin having me order is the price my OH pays if he leaves his glasses behind. That’s the rule (which he sometimes even takes notice of).
    OK is baking vegetables to have with some salmon, and we have the 3 series of Silk from the library, so that’s our night taken care of. An older series, but so so good.
    Enjoy your night all.

2nd post
    Hi everyone.
    Lindsay – thank you for your kind thoughts. Your casserole sounds delicious – I look forward to the recipe!

Sybs – congratulations on your accomplishment – 12kg in 4 months is a wonderful result! 👏👏👏

Just for your information –
    Re: shingles vaccine (Zostavax) – only one vaccine required, & free for 70 to 79 year olds in NSW & probably the rest of Australia. Costs around $220 to $240 each, on script, for other ages! Not for the immunosuppressed, or within 12 months of having had an actual shingles attack! It’s a shocking infection, so highly recommended to have the vaccine.

Catch up soon & bye for now!

thank you Arel, I am quite pleased!

lovely that you all managed to get together and visited your brother for his birthday.

Arel, lovely that your family could all celebrate your brother’s birthday together. Is he still in hospital? It’s the same in WA for the shingles vaccine. OH has had it, I didn’t. I know a lady who’s had shingles and it was a lengthy, unpleasant experience.

Sybs, great news on your substantial loss. I love these reports. Weight is rarely discussed on this thread these days, probably because many of us are in maintenance and others shun the scales. Keep it coming!

Lindsay, I hope you had a good night in. We, too, all watched a movie on Netflix but I fell asleep so i missed it.

Cinque, are you all ready for our Sunday fast? I think with the dietician’s too hasty comment about IF, it just means that she isn’t familiar. As we know, most GPs know little about nutrition and receive inadequate training. Similarly, there will be dieticians who did their training long ago and haven’t necessarily kept up to date. I’m fortunate to have a GP who’s very knowledgeable and supportive of 5:2 and two neighbours, both doctors, who also practice IF. I’ve also felt intuitively that losing weight slowly makes good sense.

Good morning. A cold morning. But I am so fortunate to have a heater, a lovely
    padded silk jacket and a purring cat on my knee.
    Plus, my computer is working properly today. Lovely.

Yes it is Sunday fast day and I am going to enjoy every minute of it.

Arelkade, so lovely to hear of the family birthday celebration for your brother.

Sybs, what a great weigh in! Fantastic work. I love how you have worked out what suits you and have made it your way of life. Isn’t it a relief to find the way that works for you. More than half way to your goal weight! Woot!

Lindsay, that chickpea dish sounds wonderful, and it also sounds like it would be almost impossible for it not to work!
    Yes, my grandkids do sound like yours. No doubt they will end up having some sort of normal bedtime. Eventually. Isn’t it so lovely to have a little one sleeping in your arms.
    I should go dumpling eating with you, without my glasses, as I always go for the panfried ones too. Even though the plain steamed ones are perfectly yummy.

Thin, I think you are right about dieticians. And the ones I know brace themselves for all the fads and just wish people could follow good sensible guidelines. I think 5:2 is still too small and recent to get past the fad label.

Well, this is the best health day (so far) that I have had for weeks, and just in time as I have a busy start to the week, I need to get the place ready for two sisters staying over on Monday evening, and everything else on my list.

Luckily I don’t need to think much about food prep, fast days are great that way.

Best wishes all.

A few weeks (months?) ago we were discussing when we changed from the Imperial to metric measurements. I just wrote a post on another thread that had “six inches” and “three cubic metres” in one sentence. I think in both. I deleted the post because I realised I was getting into one of those circular discussions that you can’t win.
    Fasting tomorrow and Tuesday. My mind has been elsewhere recently and I am eight pounds heavier than my low point. OH is now Ok, so we can get as nearly back to normal as is possible with a busy couple of months of grandchild sitting ahead of us.

Late morning and afternoon we went to a local art gallery “Nature in Art” – does what it says on the tin. They had an annual exhibition of nature artists and an exhibition of David Shepherd. It worked for me on several levels. David Shepherd, who died recently, painted aircraft, trains and wild life. he was, if not the best, one of them. Somewhere around 1976 /7 I stood behind him and watched him paint a Lancaster. That painting was on display and brought back some good memories. The other display, as usual, provoked three responses in me:

I’m as good as that.

I’ll never be as good as that.

That is an interesting technique, I’ll try that.

However, for this thread, we ate lunch there. OH had a baked potato, Coronation chicken and salad. There was nothing I really fancied so I had a cup of tea and a piece of Victoria sandwich cake. This was pretty tasteless. Not bad, but uninspiring. Once upon a time I would have eaten it, but I didn’t (OH finished it). My point is that 5:2 has made me much more selective about what I put into my mouth.

Arel, so glad your family members were all able to get together with your brother for his birthday. Is he back home yet?

Sybs, congrats on your weight loss. That’s a good amount of weight to have lost.

Thin, I’ve learned to ignore anyone who lectures me about skipping breakfast or the dangers of fasting. 9 times out of 10 the lecturer is overweight and then telling me that they eat a good breakfast every day. I always want to say, “And how’s that working out for you?”

Tomorrow, Monday, is my FD. After movie and pizza night last night (and chocolate chip and marshmallow pizza for dessert, I need a FD. After being down to 58.7 during the week, I was at 60.4 this morning. I’m eating mindfully today! Thin, I fell asleep during the movie last night too. I was out about 10 minutes into it. One of the new BP meds I’m taking makes me feel quite sleepy about an hour or so after I take it. It also has other side effects like dry mouth and eyes, and it’s one that can cause a sharp rebound effect if one of the 2 daily does is missed. It’s working, but I’m going to talk to my doctor at my next appointment about getting off of it. Apparently it’s one that a person has to be slowly weaned off of.

Penguin, I’m glad to hear that OH is fully recovered. That art exhibition sounds like a good one.

Cinque, I think we’ve traded weather. It’s supposed to get up to about 36 degrees here today. Sunny and dry. The jasmine is blooming now and I cut several stems ofit and put them in vases in the kitchen and familyroom. They’re so fragrant!

LJoyce, sounds like you’re still busy with unpacking and arranging your new home. Is your internet connected yet?

Cali. Chocolate chip and marshmallow pizza? We live on different planets. More seriously, as we don’t see that this side of the Atlantic , how does that work – basic pizza base or…?

Penguin, it’s a take & bake pizza with a basic dough from Papa Murphy’s Pizza. It’s actually called a S’mores Pizza. Here’s a YouTube recipe for a similar one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyRnTctO4po I should never get near these things…😁

Cali, and I thought I had a sweet tooth! I can only imagine how welcome your fast day will be today. Drink lots of water!
    I do hope you can start weaning yourself off that particular medication soon. One less swag of side effects to deal with.
    Haha just imagining you biting your tongue with “And how’s that working out for you?” sitting on it.
    Jasmine is a lovely gift from a hot day! It is the scent of summer here too (but you make me glad to be in winter for a bit).

Penguin, so glad Mrs Penguin has recovered. Busy times ahead, and grandchildren do seem bad for healthy mindful eating at your place! I hope you can fit in a couple of water fasts as I imagine you’ll feel good to get rid of some of those cheeky pounds that have sneaked back on.
    Love the eating out story. I too am learning only to eat what I really want.
    I googled ‘David Shepherd artist’ and got a page of stunning pictures. It would be wonderful to see the exhibition. And certainly inspirational. I hope you get lots of chances to paint. Do your grandkids like watching you paint?

LJoyce I hope the unpacking is going well, and that the gas is connected.

For those battling high blood pressure, I heard a good interview on a science program yesterday where a researcher talked about bowel health (this research https://research.monash.edu/en/publications/high-fibre-diet-and-acetate-supplementation-change-the-gut-microb ) helping high blood pressure because of the good gut bacteria, that the high fibre feeds, being useful. She says just sticking to 5 vegetables, 2 fruits a day is what is needed. Hmm, 5/2, how will we remember that? 😉

Well, I had two meetings today before my sisters arrive this afternoon, and both of them have cancelled. A lovely relief, except that I was hoping to make some YamDaisy headway. Never mind, happy to go with the flow when sisters are coming.

A lovely ‘day after fast day’ breakfast for me (and I managed to eat it more mindfully). Coffee time.

Best wishes all.

I am thoroughly enjoying my frothy coffee and amusing posts this morning. Yesterday’s FD didn’t pass unnoticed. I felt cold and slightly hungry most of the afternoon and evening. How did yours go, Cinque? (your post appeared after I’d posted – good morning and have a great day with the siblings).

Penguin, we met our dear family friends at an art auction the week we moved to Australia. He was bidding on a David Shepherd which he won for a song as no-one was apparently familiar with him down here. It’s a rhino in a beautiful gold frame. Whenever we visit them, we’re reminded of our first meeting over 25 years ago.

It’s great how 5:2 shapes our eating behaviours over time without our even realising it. Before fasting, I would have eaten everything on my plate regardless of how full I felt or whether it was enjoyable. I still don’t like waste but if I can take something home or get OH to eat it, I’m happy to leave it.

CalifD, you’re brave. There’s a restaurant here offering dessert pizzas. DD treated us years ago. It was something to try once but I wouldn’t do it again (even when I was still eating pizza). You really made me laugh with your, ‘How’s that working for you?” retort. Unfortunately, the dietician, and all six at the cafe that day, are slim. But you’re so right. Ignore the noise and carry on! I hope you get the meds sorted out soon.

Last night, I was asking so many questions that the OFMs offered to ‘rewind’ the movie to accommodate my understanding of the parts I’d slept through the previous night. I promptly fell asleep at the same point again. DD kept shaking me and insisting that now they’d watched it twice, I was required to stay awake until the end. It’s odd how I can fall asleep on the couch so easily and then lie awake in bed for hours.

I must now do some bridge revision so as not to embarrass myself too badly in this morning’s session. Have a great day all!

Cinque, thank you for the link. I have forwarded it to OH.

Good morning SHs,
    The nurse is due at 10am to do my infusion – new nurse that I’ve not met before so I hope he’s good at finding my veins. I’ve just had 2 NFDs and am fasting today so I don’t know how I’ll go with side effects this week.

Still have lots to do here although I have the kitchen and living space as organised as possible without adequate cupboards. Gas is on and I have hot water but no phone line/internet and no idea yet when that will happen. I have just figured out how to use my iPhone as a “hot spot” to provide an internet connection for my laptop. I’ll need to be careful with data use to make due it stays within my limit but it makes things manageable while I wait for the phone line.

Ariel, I’m so glad you are able to have happy family times with your brother.

I have discovered there are plenty of birds in the area so I’ve hung a bird feeder in the tree in my back garden and will get some native bird seed later. At least I’ll have some wildlife to enjoy.

I hope you are all having an easy food day. I need to get back into healthier eating so that I can stabilise my weight.

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say a quick hi and let you all know I’m still alive lol
    Have been really busy so am trying to catch up with three pages of posts! I’m on a FD today, going ok so far. Hope you are all well and enjoying life. Take care 🙂

Hi all, posting for the first time and planning to start my 5:2 again tomorrow. I say again, because I had a half hearted stab at it a couple of years back and wasn’t fully committed at the time.
    Some information about me ; I’m 52, 5’6”, 80kgs, married with 2children, living in Geraldton, Western Australia but originally from Co. Down Northern Ireland.
    I’m a bit unsure about putting myself “out there” on this forum as I’m quite a shy private person but all the more reason to just do it I guess!
    I’m booked in for surgery in 3 weeks 🤭 for a total hip replacement, probably genetic, as my brother also had to have the same procedure at 51. I blame my parents completely for this 🤣
    Up until the end of February I was going to Bootcamp 3 times a week and was very active but had to stop all as the pain increased, hence the weight gain. On a brighter note, to finally get to the bottom of all my pain issues, after years of attending chiropractors, physiotherapists etc with hip pain is a relief though quite confronting to face such drastic surgery at a relatively young age!
    Phew, life story almost up to date, my main problem dietary wise would have to be my alcohol consumption, coming from a cold climate to glorious sunshine is like summer holidays every day and you just need a beer or glass of vino in the evenings to celebrate! (Even after ten years)🤣👏🤪 BUT my husband has very gallantly volunteered to drink my wine as well as his own, to take one for the teams sit were.😉😍 Okay enough already about me. Here goes nothing…….talk soon, feeling quite nervous 😩 😜

Hahaha just found my original post from 2015, I think. So here it is, forward 3 years and not much has changed apart from the gammy hip which is for replacement in 3 weeks! Eeeek! Anyhoo here’s the post…….

Hi all, I’m new here and trying, no!, I intend to loose 10kgs! Since I turned 50 I’ve given myself a fool’s pardon to just eat what I like….dumb, dumb, dumb, and I’m menopausal!!! hence the 10kg weight gain. So, this sounds like the way to go.
    A little bit about myself…..I’m 50, doh!! originally from Co. Down, Northern Ireland and emigrated to Western Australia with my husband and 2 kids (now 10 + 14) 7 years ago. I do Bootcamp 3 mornings a week and really need to get back into walking my poor neglected dog Mollie on the other mornings…..I lost this habit 6-9 months ago and haven’t felt motivated enough to get off my butt and keep ‘er lit as they say back home!
    I CAN do this, I WILL do this, I just need to fit back into my clothes as I refuse to buy new when I have so many just lying around doing nothing!
    Confession time, alcohol is my main problem (I have loads of others which I won’t go into here! Ha ha ha ha, and which I must address at my next meeting! LOL I jest!! No hate mail please 🙂
    I just love a beer in the sunshine in the afternoon/evening and when the sun shines here most of the time I’m sure you can appreciate the seriousness of my problem…..it wasn’t so bad back home, since it bloody well rained most of the time!!!
    Soooooo, I intend to have 4-5 alcohol free days a week and just take it from there. I had a little practice last week and made it to 3…..Yay! Go me! So here goes, 1st fast day tomorrow, the resumption of the four-legged friend plod and I’ll talk to y’all soon. Xx

Viewing 50 posts - 16,101 through 16,150 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.