Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,501 through 14,550 (of 28,011 total)

• Arel, it’s marvellous to have the right glasses, isn’t it? I find myself squinting a lot before accepting that I need to reach for mine because I can often manage better without. Have fun back at work.

LJ, I don’t take the fish oil on FDs for that reason. It took several days of correspondence before I could convince Melrose to come clean with the calorie count but I assured them I’d continue to take it and recommend it to others. My dose equals a whopping 92 cals so that was my first question on the forum when I started this WOL. Someone called NickyF who takes it suggested it could be incorporated into cooking which I’d never thought of before. I have been wondering lately though, whether at my new weight, I do really need to keep taking it after all these years.

I love Gado Gado and make it at home. Exactly my style of salad, some cooked, some raw ingredients. I’d always thought it was Indonesian though as that’s where I first encountered it. I expect these dishes migrate through the Asian countries.

I have never seen rain that steady for so long in Perth. Marvellous, it just kept coming all day long and into the evening. Now I see there are new posts to read on a previous page, good morning all.

Break time, I now have one coat of paint on the walls in the study, and not too much on me! I’m having an iced tea and some cherries while I wait for my paintbrush to thaw out so I can start cutting-in in the hallway & toilet.

I have remembered some old rules of painting over the last day, some I remembered the hard way:
    – Remember where you put the paint tray or you will step in it or tip it over.
    – Don’t overload the brush. It won’t get the job done faster it will just cause paint runs that you have to scrape off and redo.
    – Unless you think speckled hair is a fashion statement, don’t overload the roller when it’s on the extension handle.
    – Check the bottom of your shoes before you step off the drop sheet. Otherwise you’ll be trying to remove it from the floor boards or carpet.
    – Put an old towel on the lounge so you you don’t decorate the leather with paint when you sit down to take a break.

I can hear lots of noise coming from the street. I think they are setting up for the Tour Down Under as the race goes past my driveway tomorrow. I hope the riders can cope with the heat. This is the longest run of hot days we’ve had this summer, not a fun time to be on a bike in lycra.

Ooops, I need my own black magic marker to correct some of the punctuation in my own post above. Burns me up to discover an error.

LJ, now that the hard work’s done, the satisfying jobs lie ahead. It will be fun to see the difference. Don’t you mask tape to cover the cornice edges? I love ripping that off and finding that it worked (or sometimes not).

Using other grains for a risotto is a good idea, LJ. I hadn’t ever thought of that. You are so innovative.

Cinque, have a wonderful day filled with visitors and not doing anything. I hope you find three small useful tasks to fulfil in the meantime.

Hi Thin, looks like our posts crossed.
    I haven’t masked – I wouldn’t actually be able to reach it to do that. I can only just get there with the paint bristles. I have a wide step ladder that’s safe for me to use but on the top step I can only get to within about 10cm of my ceiling as they are nearly 3m high. I’m going to pay a painter to do some of the external painting and the ceilings and cornices, so I’m sure he can cover any spots of grey paint.
    I did use tape on the floor boards last time I painted the skirting boards but found there was a lot of bleeding under the tape when I removed it. I think it’s safer to use a sheet of cardboard that I move along as I go and wipe up any paint from the boards while it’s still wet – less work in the long run.

LJoyce, it sounds like you used the barley with hulls still on for your risotto. The pearl barley might have been easier to use. I bought some with the hulls about a year ago but OFM thought it was too chewy and wouldn’t eat it after the first time. OH said it took 10 minutes per mouthful just to chew. 😁 I actually liked it for all the fiber, but I can see why your recipe would make more servings. (That isn’t necessarily a bad thing!)
    I work better under deadlines too. (Or at least faster.) I often procrastinate until the last minute and then when the job is done, wonder why I waited so long. The worry about putting it off sometimes takes more energy than just doing it and getting it over with. But then I might lose my good standing in Procrastinator’s Annonymous. 😉

Arel, many years ago I heard of “mono vision” contact lenses where one lens is for my nearsightedness and the other is for reading and close up. Even the closeup one has some adjustment for distance, just not much. I don’t have to wear reading glasses which I would otherwise need. https://www.specsavers.com.au/help-and-faqs/can-monovision-be-made-in-glasses-as-well-as-in-contact-lenses
    My brain just automatically switches between eyes depending where I look. If I look far away, my right eye takes over. If I read or look at something close, my left eye takes over. I don’t even notice it. So when I ordered glasses, I told them I wanted a mono vision lens script, just like my contacts. The eye doctor told me it only works with contacts, that I needed bifocal (very expensive) glasses. He told me it would make me dizzy, see double vision, etc., etc. I told him I’d take a chance, just prescribe them and I wouldn’t ask for a replacement or refund if they didn’t work. They work fine, just like the contact lenses. If I go to a new doc who argues, I just tell them I’ve been wearing them for over 30 years. My mono vision glasses cost under $200 compared to over $600 for graduated lenses. (Perhaps that’s the reason they discourage them?)
    Some people have a hard time adjusting to them. It took me about 10 minutes

Stay, we have 3 seasons of Outlander available on Starz streaming service. There are 42 episodes in all. We just watched episodes 2 and 3 of season 2. https://www.starz.com/series/outlander/episodes

Thin, good to hear of the bad airbnb review about the renters. Cinque, I love your idea of thin trying to write an airbnb review! I would never have thought of complaining about neighbors taking photos or knocks at the door at dawn.🤣😎

T2 teas are definitely pricey and I will probably use them more as treats than a daily tea. But LJoyce who is a tea connoisseur likes them so much that I had to see for myself. Shipping was free on the first order. I figured they would ship from a US location since they have a few shops here, but it looks like they may be coming from Aus. It could take a while. LJoyce, you’re right about them having specials and deals. I received an email this morning offering “one day free shipping”.

Julie, glad to hear that you’re doing well. I figured you were just busy with work and preparing for your trip. I thought of you when reading about the hot temperatures there. You usually have warm weather anyway.

Thin, did the rain get that bush fire under control?

Hi everyone
    You’ll have to let us know how you like the Teas CalifD and which ones you like best.
    Haha with all the painting advice LJoyce- hopefully you were partly joking?
    I can’t take the fish oil or capsules as they give me diarrhoea- sorry if that is crass. I can’t eat garlic either.
    Thin the wedding is this Saturday and the BOM is changing the forecast daily. Atm is is so be cloudy and 24 or 27 depending which app you want to go by (what is with that?)
    I think it was you Thin whose hubby had a splitty. My older son just bought the back half of one. I don’t know what he will do with that. He has another Kombi that has been sanded back to bare metal and looks rusty, but he likes it that way. It will take the bride and OH to the wedding.
    If anyone wants to friend me on FB to see the wedding photos I’m happy to. Do I ask someone to hook us up with email first or do I just put my fb name here? Is that too much info online?
    Have a great day/evening everyone! Xx

Yes CalifD, all is good now thank you. What a steady, prolonged rain. Just not used to that at all here. The poor lizards were almost swimming in their enclosure this morning even with most of it covered. They have a hollowed out log that usually keeps them dry.

Cinque, if I had a spare $550, I’d rent the house next door for one night so I could leave a rubbish review.

I think with the teas, or anything else really, we all eat so much less now that we deserve the very best of everything. And everything we do eat or drink should be of excellent quality. I’d considered the Madame Flavour teas a real treat at 20c per bag and I get three cups out of those on a FD. I won’t complain about the price again now that LJ has revealed the cost of T2 teas. I also don’t think twice about spending $4-5 on a good cup of coffee at a cafe because the value I get from chatting to friends for hours is worth so much more.

Imagine what you’d spend if you were a sticky drink drinker. Last week we had fish and chips at a beach south of here. OFMs chose ‘fish’n’chips’ and I spent the same amount on grilled barramundi with no chips. What a martyr. But it was just awful. So fishy and strong that I had to throw it away (very unlike me). OFMs battered snapper was absolutely delicious and DD ended up giving me half her fish and a few chips. Anyway, I digress. Because the grilled fish takes so long to prepare, I was in the chippie for ages as others came and went. Incredible how much sticky drink & flavoured milk was being bought, even for little children. There were five huge double door fridges full of drinks I’d never heard of. I’m sure they did more business in drinks than chips. The thought of flavoured milk with fish and chips turns my stomach. So, enjoy that tea! You deserve it.

So side tracked with first world problems that I forgot to mention I lost 500gms after a NFD this morning. I did try harder yesterday following everyone’s lead. Very happy. I’d made an Indian prawn curry for me and OH so that must have been low cal. Tonight we’ll have a frittata and tomorrow’s a FD. On track.

P.S. Stay, yes, OH has a splitty but I had to read on to discover what that meant! I was thinking of butt crack for some reason. He def. doesn’t have that! I would caution against listing your FD details here. You could post, for a limited time, your email address in your profile and then remove it. A safer option would be to contact JJ at tech support and exchange details with individual posters. I’d like to see the photos. You could post them on https://imgur.com/upload and share the page here. Do you know how to do that? If we don’t hear from you again this week have a brilliant time!

Thin, I guess compared to a pack of cookies or cake, the tea is actually a bargain. Or ice cream.

Stay, I’d love to see the photos when you post them. I think it’s JJ, the board admin that you could ask to send the email. Does thin have your email?

Actually Stay, it’s OK to post your FD details here! But perhaps not your FB details is what I meant of course. Gosh, I am sloppy today, sorry. No, I don’t have Stay’s email address, CalifD.

Exactly right about the tea CalifD. So, at 55c per cup, you are definitely worth it! The next question of course is, as an American, are you any good at making a pot of tea? 😆 Don’t follow my lead since I often use tea bags; LJ will have to point the way. I only ask because when my English girlfriend and I worked as waitresses in N.C., we got told off by management for serving a customer’s tea bag in the cup with boiling water poured on it. The correct way we were told was to pour the water in the cup, then put the tea bag and sugar in the saucer to take it to the table. Still made great tips though.

Hi I’ve given permission to Jj to give you my email address so if you ask them they will give it to you and the I can give e you my fb details. I think that’s how it works?

Thin, how could a restaurant owner argue with a Brit over how to make tea? Didn’t they invent the stuff? 😁 But aren’t there some teas, like green tea, that should be brewed in less than boiling water? I mainly use tea bags for the convenience but I ordered the T2 teas in loose tea leaves. I usually pour boiling water over the tea unless it’s green tea. I’m trying to drink more green because of the health benefits, but it tastes kind of bland and grassy to me. Sometimes I’ll add a green tea bag to an herbal tea since it tastes bland enough to me. It will be interesting to hear how LJoyce prepares it. Do all of you use a teapot with built-in strainer or use a tea/strainer device in the teapot? With T2 teas, is it really only a teaspoon (tsp) of tea to a cup like they say on their website? That doesn’t seem like a lot. I wonder what size cup?
    And congrats on the 500 gram loss!

Speaking of the price of a cup, the cost of pods for Keurig coffee makers is often 55 cents or more. We have one, but have a reusable stainless steel pod thing so we can use our own ground coffee.

Stay, I sent off an email giving permission to share, so one of us should be hearing from them.

Ok then, I’ll be lazy and tag on the back of CalifD’s request for Stay’s email address if that’s OK with you two?

When I make tea in a tea pot, I first fill it and the cups with boiling water. Then empty both and follow the rule of ‘1 tsp per cup and one for the pot’. For me, the milk goes in the cup first*. Others would be horrified. I use a strainer to catch the leaves. Many T2 pots have an inbuilt diffuser. I find I only need one teapot in my de-cluttered life and mine doesn’t have a strainer.

Last week, a young worker at T2 told me how he always gets three jugs of tea out of anything T2 recommends will yield one jugful. DD and tried this with one that someone above mentioned (Strawberries and Cream I think it was) and it was very dark red for the first two jugs. The third was a little wishy washy looking. But I think he was right, you can stretch it out a bit.

*This is a question of logic. You know how much milk you like, then you fill the cup with tea. Same logic for mixing a drink. You need to see how much alcohol is going in so that goes first. Then add ice. Sticky gross but essential mixer goes last to fill up the glass. Any other order just makes no sense to me – unless someone here says it does?

Morning all. Penguin is back in northern climes after a week of warmth. That 1500 miles takes me from a sunny 19C to 3C and a forecast of heavy snow later today. That is going to be interesting, I have to clean up the car that has been sitting in an airport car park to undergo the annual road worthiness inspection tomorrow.

Cinque, I am guessing the little bird was the “Related Science Articles” thread (unless you also follow “Are there many guys on this diet”?). I posted there when I got back last night because it is a much quieter site. I have been using my phone to read the hundred plus posts on this site whilst away, but wanted a quick scan again before reporting in. Everyone has been very busy and we seem to have gained some new names. I could have used that tip on freezing the roller last year. It will be remembered

I failed the silly season challenge, but cracked the holiday one – came back three pounds lighter. I would like to claim that as the result of a daily routine of walking 6 miles, going to the gym and eating wisely but that was the first five days, then we both got the common cold and settled down to a really idle life. We have brought our colds back to UK, which is only fair; they are probably British colds we caught on the aircraft going out. I am running about 24 hours ahead of OH so I am up and about whilst she remains abed. I’ll wait until I hear movement, then take up a cup of tea.

I had more of my chewy barley risotto – the flavour is very good and I don’t really mind a chewy grain I suspect it means there will be lots of fibre goodies for the gut bugs. Cali I suspect you are right about the barley. The last time I bought it was loose from a health food shop. I thought I’d bought pearl barley but it might have been whole barley.

Welcome home Penguin, I’m glad you got a few days of sunshine but sorry to hear you and OH are poorly. I hope you are both better soon.

Cali & Thin, I actually drink my tea stronger than recommended by T2, I use about 50% more tea leaves than recommended (a heaped teaspoon per cup) – although this only applies to blends with black tea leaves as the base that I drink with milk. Iced tea I make very weak – I get a 2 litre jug of tea out of 2 tsp of “Twinkle Berry” blend. The same is true for green tea where I’ll just use a pinch of tea per cup. I only use teabags if I have no other option and I never use them at home unless I want decaffeinated tea (finding that in leaf form is a challenge). I follow the same brewing method as my mum. I brew in a china pot (preferably without a built in strainer as it stops me getting all the flavour out of those expensive leaves). Warm the pot and the cup with a little hot water, then drain. Add the tea leaves to the pot and then cover with freshly boiled filtered water. (Tap water in some states is fine but in S.A. it’s terrible and affects the taste of the tea.) Brew for 3-5 minutes depending on the tea – the larger the leaves the longer it needs to brew. Pour it through a strainer into your warmed china cup and add milk, stir. Sit down somewhere nice and enjoy it slowly. I use a very small teapot that holds one cup and will usually add more boiling water to it for a second cup. If you make the tea in a larger pot, by the time you drink the second cup it’s stewed. Just to extend the ritual, I always put the teapot, strainer, jug of milk and teacup on a tray and take it into the lounge room to enjoy.
    I’ve just done this with a pot of Lamington tea which I’m enjoying while I write my post.

By the way, I now have grey walls in the study, toilet and hallway, although only the study has had two coats. Tomorrow I’ll finish the second coat and also start on the wood trim in the study. For those of you who like my earlier list of things to remember when painting, I have a few more to add to the list.
    – If you paint in the fading afternoon light you will miss bits.
    – If you paint when tired your work will be almost as sloppy as painting when drunk.
    – You need to be aware of your body parts when painting narrow hallways. Bending over to paint the bottom of the wall will result in your own bottom ending up in the paint on the opposite wall. Some people might want their rear end imprint immortalised on the wall, I’m not on of them.
    – You can tie your hair up to stop getting paint on it but it won’t work, any loose stand will be painted. I think the only way is to wear a swimming cap!
    – How do you fit a ladder, a dropsheet and a person with a paintbrush into a toilet? You don’t! It doesn’t matter how you try to position the ladder either the walls, the door or the toilet will be in the road.

I’m going to finish my pot of perfectly brewed tea now.

CalifD, There are some green teas I dont like because they dont taste like the real thing. I wonder if you are buying Japanese green tea or other brands?

I have found that the Japanese Sencha tea is much better. I buy from the Japanese grocery store here and it is a bit more expensive, but it tastes better than the Australian brands I have tried.

I too have requested the email address for Stay.

I missed where Penguin went to but I gather it was to somewhere warmer. Hope you had a great time Penguin and congrats on the weight loss while away,wish I could do that!!!

Thin, I usually get two cups out of a green tea bag or the tea bags from T2.

My weight this morning was down about 500g but I am still not back to where I was before. My FD today went well but I think I ate too much fruit though.

JustJulie. Sorry to be boring – it was Madeira again. We do go elsewhere but Madeira has become the default location. This one was a freebie – the firm we tend to use for our accommodation gave us a couple of free weeks, all we had to find was the air fare and meals. Funnily I can lose weight on holiday, probably because I’m not doing the cooking and when I cook I tend to keep trying it.

(Break off to take a cup of tea to the sounds of life upstairs)

We have been going to Madeira for about 20 years. It has, inevitably, changed in that time. Originally it was very much a quiet, comfortable place for mature Brits. It has had an enormous amount of European Union funding to improve the infrastructure and has became popular with Germans, Scandinavians, particularly Finns, and eastern Europeans. Islamic fundamentalism has stopped western Europeans going to Morocco or Egypt and the politics in Turkey have been really nasty so lots don’t go there any more. I read recently that the Trump effect is stopping Europeans going to the USA, to the delight of the Spanish tourist board. Madeira has become busy. January is low season but the hotels were all full and we had up to four cruise ships a day. This is great for the local economy but I am not keen on crowds. Fortunately if we get of the roads in the hills they are still empty.

Not a lot happened here whilst we have been away. There is yet another plan to close our two small hospitals and replace them with a new one, and yet again people are objecting. Apart from that, someone got part of a finger bitten off by a wild boar, which was it’s second attack of the day. I think if a boar attacked me I would offer it one of my large feet, not my hand.

I am not sure I understand this, but it doesn’t sound good, According to Huffpost, one of the teams I get news from on my phone, AirBrib have introduced a new system to allow guests to stagger payments on their rental to make it easier for them to cover their costs. With luck It may just only to Brits who are a bit short of cash at the moment.

Good morning,
    Surprise. I did have to do stuff with my house full of guests. It was lovely, but I will have a rest day today.
    Not organised for a fast day though 🙁 but that won’t stop me!

Penguin I was scrolling through recent posts and saw some of your secret men’s business 🙂
    Congratulations on that 3lb and I guess if you have to have a cold, Madeira is a nice place to have it.
    Hope the cold is all gone soon, for you and OH, and avoid that Aussie Flu!

Home cooking is a problem, if only you weren’t such a good cook! 😉

My tea ceremony involves less tea, brewed for a longer time, which means the next cup from the pot should be lovely too… so long as it is still hot! I have the tea caddy spoon I inherited from my granddad, who won it at bowls, and it holds about two teaspoons which does four cups. I let it brew five minutes.
    (That’s when I get it right. I have friends and relatives, some who like very weak tea and some who like it very strong. It is amazing how strong tea comes out for my sister who likes weak black, and so pale for my friend Lin who likes a strong brew!)
    For my morning cuppas I usually use an infuser https://gaininghealthnaturally.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ss-tea-infuser.jpeg with half a teaspoon of black tea (Dilmah is my favourite brand)(loose leaf if you haven’t guessed), but I have a little stainless steel Avanti teapot that does two cups and occasionally I use that with my small pretty teacups.

My china teapot is the old fashioned type, I use a tea strainer (a lovely one from T2, present from my daughter) and the pot has no impediment at the spout so it is easy to rinse the tealeaves out. I love that!

And the milk, Oh Thin, I put it in last! Fill up the tea and then add milk until it is the right colour!
    I read that it was really important to put the milk in first in the days when the fine china was liable to crack from the hot tea. But luckily my china is robust.

Green tea I drink Chinese restaurant style and keep filling up the teapot.
    JJulie, your Sencha tea sounds wonderful.

Congratulations with the painting LJoyce, I read all your tips with pleasure! Have fun following them today!
    I am keen to make my barley risotto recipe, mine is pearl barley and it has celery and mushrooms and is cooked in the pressure cooker.

Cali, fascinated by your contacts and glasses. Aren’t brains (and eyes) clever!

Off to get my next cup of tea, and chicken from the freezer for my miso soup.

Best wishes

Cinque, it isn’t just men’s business, we have had the occasional female visitor. I think they just get bored with us and stop posting. We may be getting bored with each other, there used to be more of us and the thread has been very quiet recently. It is interesting watching the recent posts – some familiar names do get around.

I think I have just about shaken off the infection thanks. OH seems to have got it rather more badly and is not a happy bunny. She also 5:2s and her weight remained static whilst we were away. it may be something in the male – female body structures but she has to try a lot harder than I do. She also had less to lose.

There is currently a link on the science articles site which is supposed to show the first 32 pages of Dr Longo’s book. I can’t make it work. That may be a Brit thing – it isn’t released here until 8 Feb. – it might be worth you giving it a go.

Your Chinese restaurant tea brought back memories. 50 plus years ago I taught English in an evening school in Hong Kong. When I left my course gave me a teapot, tray and cups. They apparently searched all over for cups with handles because that is how westerners drink it! I still have it, on a safe shelf. So far it has survived the curiosity of kids and grandkids and it is staying on that shelf.

Good morning SHs. I have to admit to feeling a bit stiff and sore today, but I’m loath to take a day off in case it turns into several.

Cinque, I’m almost doing the same at the moment – having a cup of tea and taking something out of the freezer – although in my case it was the paint roller – that still feels like a very weird thing to do.
    I agree about the dilmah, it’s one of very few black teas available from supermarkets that I find OK. My local Supermarket sells Yorkshire Gold tea which I also like.

Penguin, well done on the 3 pounds that you left in Madeira. Hope you are feeling better.

JJulie, well done on the half kilo loss.

My next FD was planned for Thursday but I’ll need to change it. My nurse has changed my treatment day to Saturday so that means I need to fast on Friday, I have decided to fast today as well as I am still having higher cal afternoon snacks than my TDEE can accommodate. At the moment I feel like I’d rather not let things get out of control than have to add extra FDs to lose weight gain. I know the next few weeks are going to be busy and I need to know I won’t have to worry about my weight – that what I’m doing will be adequate to keep it stable without needing to fuss about what not to eat. At the moment it seems to be 3 FDs most weeks that accomplishes this.
    I have one grilled short-loin lamb chop left over from Saturday so I can add some salad veg to that for dinner. That should be OK for a FD and requires no cooking.

We have a run of hot days here. If the heat has reached your area, stay cool.

Good morning all,

A very interesting morning for me. I started out with 18YO coming into wake me at 5.30 saying that her fan and lights do not work. So checked my room and I had lights and ceiling fan working, then checked the kitchen to find no lights there. Our house is wired with the lights being on two circuits so half the house is ok and the other half is out. I went down to the meter box (thank goodness the rain had stopped) and found the circuit had tripped off and turned it on and went back to bed. About 7.30 I got up and checked again to find it off again. There is so much rain coming down at the moment I am not going out in it to play with the power box, so will wait until there is a lull and have another look. Rang OH and discussed how to check it before ringing the electrician. We had a bad experience last time it rained hard like this (only about 6 weeks ago) and had to get the electrician out to find we had a faulty circuit breaker.

So weight this morning was down 200g. I am getting there slowly!! My Fd yesterday went fairly well but I had a lot of fruit and maybe too much sugar in that. I also had some yoghurt, celery and hommus.

Today I have had plain yoghurt with raspberries for breakfast. then plan to have miso soup for lunch and tofu for dinner.

My Japanese daughter bought white chia seeds when she was staying with us and left them here. I wonder what health benefits there are in them. I sprinkled a teaspoon of them over my yoghurt this morning.

Penguin, your story about the chinese tea set you received reminded me of the one that was given to my husband a few years ago. He was surveying a ship that was Chinese owned with Chinese Master and Officers and it was right at Chinese New Year. The Master asked him to stay for lunch and then as he was leaving the vessel he was given a lovely Chinese tea set in a beautiful red box. We have never used it.

All this talk about tea reminded me about another Japanese tea that I make at home but have not done so for a few weeks. Japanese toasted barley tea (mugicha) that I drink chilled is great for those hot summer days. I usually make it at night and then leave in the fridge overnight. I use the T2 jug that has the insert in the middle and it works fine. There is no caffeine and is rich in antioxidants. The taste is different at first but a glass of this chilled on a hot day is very refreshing.

Well, time to go and get some housework done before leaving the country again. Will catch up again soon.

Fasting for me today. Leftovers from Sunday’s fast comprising Spanish Fideos, 142 cals, made with a block of konjac which I didn’t manage to slice as thinly as the Slendier Angel Hair. Happy with today’s weight, I should have kept the faith. Steering clear of meat and poultry helps a lot. Eating mostly plants!

I’ve read the posts, scrolling backwards which was quite disorientating.

Welcome back Penguin, I don’t like crowds either. Let me know if you come across any quiet spots on the planet. I’m pretty sure I mentioned the paint brush in the freezer thing when you were painting at the same time as I, last year. I’d found one in the freezer from a couple of years back from a fence painting job that had to be abandoned d/t an o/seas trip. Forgot all about it.

Sounds like good progress LJ. Glad we’re fasting together today.

Nice rest day for you, Cinque.

JJulie, I use black chia seeds as recommended by bayleafoz who sadly is long gone from these pages. I don’t know whether black and white offer different nutritional values. Anti-oxidant comes to mind.

I watched the doco with one of Cinque’s fave twins and Angela Rippon about staying young last night. How that 50 something Scottish man turned his life around from a body age of 90 to 75 in 12 weeks! It made me wonder what my body age might be. I have to accept that I need to do some resistive exercises to prevent muscle atrophy. I still have a box of brand new graded exercise bands from my hand therapist days so thought I should get a taste of my own medicine and rig them up to get some upper limb exercise (hoping they still offer resistance after all these years). Meanwhile, off for a drizzly walk.

For any of you who are curious, the Tour Downunder (currently live on channel 9) is doing circuits through my town and neighbouring towns at the moment. At some point they actually whiz past my house. I keep hearing the helicopter flying overhead to film the race.

It is 4.30 am our time. I am sitting drinking green tea because last night I broke my fast too enthusiastically and my interior is objecting. The tea is working quite well.

thin, I thought the paint roller thing sounded familiar, I just didn’t remember from where. I haven’t done any painting since to try it. Well not that sort – my acylics have had a regular work out and I my travelling kit usually includes a sketch pad and a small box of water colours.

I don’t mind a busy town if it has character and is busy with its own people. Thinking about it sitting here I can come up with quite a long list of towns I have liked – most recently Barcelona and Lisbon, towns you can walk in. I like the hills and the rivers to be quiet. Last year we took the grandchildren to Snowdonia. There are now so many climbers that the country roads near the known good climbs have no parking signs along them to keep them clear for traffic. This may be an age thing – when I was a lad walking the northern hills you could go a day without seeing anyone.

This post has taken 50 minutes, most of it spent thinking of ways to get my walking boots back up Teesdale and over the top into Weardale.

LJoyce, how exciting to have the Tour Downunder going right past your house! I could see some of those films on the internet, obviously taken from helicopters. you should to go outdoors and wave at the helicopters. We’ll know it’s you because you’ll be the one covered with spatters of grey paint! 😁

Penguin, welcome back and congrats on losing 3 pounds over your holidays. It’s too bad you and OH weren’t feeling well. But at least you were in a warm place. Lots of people over here have colds and flu. Winter seems to be the time of year for that. I was feeling a little off myself today. I hope it goes away tomorrow.

My T2 has shipped. I wonder how long it will take to arrive? It says “standard shipping”. Thank you to LJoyce, Cinque and thin for posting your instructions for brewing tea. I have a couple of those tea infuser thingies that I can use for the loose tea leaves. I’m anxious to try the T2.

Monday’s FD went well. I lost only 300 grams, but I’m back in the high 58’s again. 2 FD seems to be what I’ll need to maintain as long as I don’t go overboard on the other days. Congrats to Thin, Julie and penguin for the losses!

I hope you are all having a good day.

Cali, you are certainly right about the splatters of grey paint. But the walls in the areas I was tackling are all finished, so it was worth it. It took 4 hours to finish the walls today and I just didn’t have the stamina to start the woodwork after that – not to mention the multiple blister on my hands from the paint roller that are making it painful to bend my fingers at present. So I took the rest of the afternoon off.
    It can be exciting have the Tour Downunder going past my house – unless I actually want to leave the house. I always plan it to be a day where I’m either out or home for the whole day.
    I hope you like the T2 teas. If you like the lamington I’ll explain how I make my own. Although it’s obviously cheaper, I actually do it so I can have a decaffeinated blend to have in the evenings. T2 don’t do decaf black teas.

Penguin, I hope the green tea did the trick. I don’t imagine 4:30am is a very nice time to be away from a warm bed in the middle of an English winter.

I made reno progress in other ways today. I’ve booked the electrician in for the end of the month to do all my lighting and electrical and I have the cabinet maker coming Monday to measure for the changes to the kitchen. I feel like I have some real momentum going now. I have a physio appointment in the morning, so a break from painting, but I do intend to make a start in the afternoon.

NFD tomorrow before another FD Friday.

My FD has been OK, although I had a smoothie at 2pm when I finished painting so I’m probably closer to 600 cals today. As I’m doing 3 FDs I’m not concerned, it should be fine.

Hope all the SHs manage to stay cool in this hot weather.

I’ve had a busy day and only managed to skim the latest posts. I wanted to ask you LJ if you’d ever tried Nerada Rooibos Vanilla decaf teabags available at Woolworths. I like it with milk so no good for a FD but it’s the only decaf tea/coffee product that works for me. You mentioned before about liking vanilla.

I’m on my second peppermint tea only. I didn’t eat until 4pm today. My 2pm soup ritual is getting later and later. I feel a 24 hour fast trend coming on.

Aren’t we having bizarre weather in Australia? It’s been SO humid today, I thought of you JJulie.

Penguin, your post had me howling with laughter at my own stupidity. Actually I thought I was being really clever to get your cryptic clue of deciding how you were going to pull yourself away from your green tea and put your boots on to go out for a walk. Then I realised where you live and that you really were working out how to get from TEASdale to WEARdale.

It sounds wonderful that your holidays are peaceful enough to engage in a bit of water colour painting. DD requested water colour paints for her 22nd birthday as she intends to start a sort of painting diary on her travels. We also gave her a set of water colour pencils – have you seen these? Another present was a pair of climbing shoes so you might have things in common.

LJ, I will force myself to watch commercial TV just so I can get a glimpse of your area. Can you put some kind of flag on the roof for us? How nice that you are always able to schedule the race to coincide with your days spent out or in (he he he).

CalifD, when you get Stay’s email address from JJ, would you please give her my email address too? Thank you! As mentioned, I’m taking the lazy way out but it does also save JJ some work so all is well.

thin, for travelling water colour pencils are really convenient. To go with them I have a sort of travel brush with a water reservoir – the brush version of the old fountain pen. OH uses a variety of coloured pencil called polychromatic. These let you put down layers of colour to build up a density that looks almost like oils. It is a slow process, but she is a botanical artist so her subjects don’t run away – she has been known to spend two days to do one perfect Lily.

How lovely Penguin.

simcoeluv. Last week, whilst on holiday, I said that I had no scales, was sleeping a lot and that I knew nothing about inulin and must do some research. Your response was not to bother about any of them. I now know what inulin is (even if my spell checker doesn’t and insists on insulin). I have been getting some in its natural form. Was your “not to bother” just encouragement to chill out or is there something we should know about inulin supplements?

Good morning,
    Hot days in Melbourne! But at the moment cool air is flooding through. Lovely.
    Not a good fast day yesterday I am afraid. Too exhausted from the day before to be prepared. A lesson for the future.

I also watched the “How to stay young” documentary. It was lovely seeing people turn their lives around, but frustrating to watch and daunting as I can’t be very active and it will be amazing if I last another ten minutes!

Oh well, keep on doing the best I can!

Best wishes to you all, hoping that you have a lovely day doing the best you can!

Good morning everyone,

Penguin, I had never heard of inulin before you post so I had to look it up and this is what I read ……

“When combined with water, inulin bulks up and forms a gel-like substance that expands in the digestive tract. This can help decrease appetite and cravings — potentially helping with weight loss — because it slows the process of food emptying from the stomach and takes up more volume, which decreases appetite hormones.”

I also read about the foods that it is in, sugar beet, leeks and asparagus were high on the list then onions and garlic and bananas and wheat. I wonder if that is why you feel fuller if you eat bread?

It was an interesting research.

Anyhow, I weighed myself this morning and was so happy to see that I am now under the 80kg mark again. I thought I had been eating too much fruit, but it seems not to have caused too much problem with the weight loss. My body seems to be craving the sugar and it was the best way I could think of curbing the craving without actually eating lollies etc.

So I have completed three days of “fasting” although I did not really count the calorie intake just watched what I ate, ate healthy, no meat and definitely no alcohol. I think I will do the same today as well because I am feeling very good about it all and dont want to change anything while I am loosing weight.

I too received Stay’s email address so will contact her today.

Yes Thin, weather is crazy. We have had is so hot lately that soup just seemed out of the question. I have had miso a few times, but just sweating so much after it is not nice. The fruit I have been eating was very refreshing.

Many years ago I went on a diet called the “Hollywood Diet” The idea behind this diet was not to combine certain foods together as our bodies digest foods at different rates depending on what the food was. For example, you should not eat fast digesting foods on top of the slower digesting foods.
    Fruit was a big thing on this diet especially pineapple. You started day 1 with just eating pineapple for the whole day. You could eat as much as you liked, then just before bed eat a banana. The second day you ate watermelon all day. The third day apples. The idea was that the enzymes in the pineapple were fat breaking, the watermelon then flushed your system. The whole process of this cleansing and fat breaking went over two weeks then you started to introduce other foods like meat, vegies and potato into your diet. If you ate any meat or vegies, you could not then eat fruit as the fruit was the first thing to eat during the day as it was easier to digest. You also should wait different rest times before changing from fruits to proteins or carbs allowing the body to digest the fruit properly before puting the heavier foods into your system. I believe this whole idea was because if fruits were eaten after the longer digesting goods it would sit in your system longer and ferment, thus creating more sugars in your body.

In the end I lost a major amount of weight in a very short time, but could not maintain the loss once I started to eat regular foods. The solid fruits for the first two weeks really was harsh on the system.

Well better go now I have a lot to do today again.

Catch up soon

Hi penguin:

My comment was really just to say have a great time on your holiday and don’t worry about gaining or losing weight or researching weight loss products when you should be having fun! It was not meant as a comment on inulin.

As for inulin, I view it as another weight loss fad. Just going to WebMD, it reports that inulin ‘does not seem to significantly reduce weight in moderately obese people’ and ‘does not seem to significantly lower bloodcholesterol.’ It does say that inulin seems to lower triglycerides by as much as 19% after 8 weeks of treatment. I would add, in men, but a study showed no reduction in women.

It doesn’t seem to be harmful so far, so I guess people can take it if they want.

I’ve just seen so many of these silver bullets come and go that I tend to ignore them. But all of them have their avid supporters for a time, and, as they say, if it works for you, go for it!

By the way, it has been around for a long time (discovered around 1800), it is commonly found in bananas, garlic and onions and is classified as a FODMAP. That means for those people that think they are gluten sensitive, or have IBS it will probably cause them some discomfort. More basic information can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin

JustJulie/Simcoeluv. Thanks for the responses. Earlier this evening I saw what I guess is an old “Food unwrapped ” episode. They were in Africa looking at diverse gut flora and led onto foods available here which support it, the common contents being fibre and inulin. Suggested good things were Jerusalem artichokes, chicory, garlic, onions, seaweed, wheat and oats. Together with oily fish. I have never eaten a Jerusalem artichoke, but I eat the others (if the occasional sushi counts as seaweed). I grow my own leeks and asparagus and am a banana enthusiast so I guess I’ll stay with the natural sources and skip the supplement.

Julie, I remember that Hollywood Diet. That was a long time ago! I love fruit, but I think I only made it through 3 or 4 days. I probably lost some weight but I remember not feeling very good. I added it to a long list of diets that didn’t work. (They only work if they’re sustainable.) I eat a lot of fruit in the summer and didn’t find it a problem with the 5:2. There are fewer fruits in season now, but I still eat a lot of apples, pears and bananas.

Thin, I thought exactly the same thing when I read penguin’s post about TEASdale and WEARdale. Isn’t that the way he meant it? 😁
    I’ll pass your email on to Stay.

LJ, I’d love your recipe for decaf Lamington. I drink decaf whenever I can in both coffee and tea. It may be a while before the T2 arrives, so this could be a “sneak preview “.
    Congrats on all the reno work you’re getting done. I’m impressed! I wish there was a way to push my exercise room out into your path, hoping you would organize that too!

Cinque, you’ve already turned your life around with all the weight you’ve lost and have managed to keep off. I bet the hot weather plays a big part in how exhausted you feel. I always feel tired in hot weather, especially when there’s humidity involved. It’s normally hot and dry in the summer in WA, SA and Victoria, isn’t it?

Good morning SHs, a quick post before I head off to the physio – funnily enough I have lots of aches for him to deal with today.

Thin, You are right that I love vanilla flavoured teas. Unfortunately I don’t like rooibos as a substitute for real tea leaves. I tried T2s vanilla rooibos and I hated it.

Penguin, it’s rather nice that you and your OH have a talent for art in common, although it sounds like you have different subject matter that you like to paint. I can create intricate pictures from tiny pieces of fabric or coloured threads, but with paint or pencils I produce something a 5 years would be ashamed to hang on the fridge.

Cinque, sorry the FD went poorly. I think we all have to put up with a couple more days of heat before we get a break. It feels humid here today too. (Cali, the southern states usually have a dry heat, but occasionally we get humidity – most of us don’t cope well as we aren’t used to it.)

JJulie, I remember that Hollywood diet. I came to hate pineapple and it was years before I could eat it again. I stuck to it for quite a few weeks. I couldn’t have milk in my tea unless I was at the end of the day and eating protein foods – that was a big drawback for me. This was yet another fad diet where I lost and regained many kilos.

Cali, I have taken ideas from T2 flavoured teas that I like and created my own decaf version. Basically I make a flavour tisane and brew it with a decaffeinated tea bag (black tea leaves). I can’t give you measurements as I don’t weigh of measure the ingredients, I just tend to use a bit more of the flavours I like the most.
    Lamington – cacao nibs (these are hard chunks of cocoa bean and don’t dissolve but provide chocolatey bitterness), dried shaved coconut (you’ll need to lightly toast it on an oven tray), a little bit of good quality dark chocolate (chop it or grate it into miniscule pieces, you don’t need much).
    Chocolate chai – cacao nibs, cinnamon sticks (crumbled into very small pieces), cloves, cardamom pods (cut in half lengthways), black peppercorns
    To brew I put one teaspoon of the flavour blend and one decaf teabag in a teapot and brew. It’s not as good as the original but a lot nicer than the plain decaf tea bags and it means I still enjoy my post 5pm tea.
    I also do the same with T2s Vanilla Slice tisane – 1 tsp with a decaf tea bag.

I have to rush now, have a good day.

Morning all. Cinque I am sorry you’ve not been well … hope you are on the road to recovery. The little ones pick up all sorts of things when they first start day care … my GP calls child care centres ‘viral swamps’ (and he’s only half joking). Hope you are having a gentle day, and enjoy your visitors.
    LJoyce it wasn’t until I read your post that I remembered how great French Earl Grey is. I popped straight down to the local T2, and am now enjoying a pot. I’m not much of a tea drinker normally – strong black coffee is my thing – but I’ll make an exception for the FEG.
    Arel, the Miracle jeans are available on line https://www.rodneyclark.com/products/4271-miracle-jean-slim-leg
    I go for the slim leg, because that’s not my particular problem. But they seem to flatten my stomach, which is where I carry my weight (and around the waist…sigh).
    My first FD since the holidays … I missed Monday, because I had little miss…we had a lovely morning at the eco-centre at the uni where I work, looking at snakes and lizards and butterflies, but then she asked for prawn dumplings, so off we headed to Chinatown. Back in the swing today, and loving the crampy, hungry feeling. It’s not extreme – just enough to let me know it’s doing me good.
    Oh, one more thing to add to earlier posts about cleaning up, cleaning out. We had a spare fridge over on the island, replaced in the renovation. It sat on the verandah, blocking the view, while we contemplated what to do with it. So during our Christmas holiday, my son and son in law decided to relocate it to the footpath, and put a sign in the local park advertising a free fridge. It was gone in 10 minutes – three lovely young people came and loaded it on to their ute. Win/win/win. They needed one, we needed to get rid of one, and one very large whitegood didn’t end up as landfill.
    Have a great day all.

Cali, The ingredients that I mentioned for the tea blends all come from my local supermarket. The cacoa nibs I get from Aldi (about $6 for 500g) and all the supermarkets sell bags of dried shaved coconut. I usually get the spices in bags rather than jars because it’s usually cheaper.

I went to the fruit & veg market at Hahndorf on the way home from the physio. It’s a huge warehouse sized place that sell a wide range of dairy, small goods, breads etc from local producers. They also make nut butters on the premises with nothing in them but the roasted nuts. I’ve been getting their peanut and almond butters for ages, but today they also had cashew and pistachio. I weakened and bought a jar of the pistachio butter. OMG it is absolutely divine, I can see it easily turning into an addiction.

I also went a bit mad buying fruit because they had so many things that I like. I think I might have some pineapple to round of lunch and a wedge of watermelon later for afternoon tea.

The glazier is coming this afternoon to replace a couple of window panes and I need to get going on the woodwork.

LJoyce, thank you for the tea blend recipe. I don’t measure things either. I have cacao nibs in the house and cardamom, but not the pods. I can get those at the local market or on Amazon. I probably need to get more coconut too because the stuff I have has been sitting in the pantry for some time. I often get spices in bags too, by the ounce. They’re much less expensive that way here too. It will be a great way to have the decaf tea flavored.

Nut butters are great to spread on things but after having Cinque’s Nigerian Bean Stew with the peanut butter, I’m going to experiment with it in soups and stews. I bet cashew butter would be good. Or pecan.

Lindsay, good to see you back home and back in the FD swing of things. Very cool way to get rid of a frig! We’ve done that on Craig’s list or Nextdoor with various pieces of furniture that weren’t in perfect shape, posting photos that showed the imperfections, and had the same sort of experience. Usually someone wanted them and picked it up within the hour.

Hi Everyone
    Cinque, I don’t think you need to worry too much as the photo of you at the pool with your granddaughters shows that you are fit and young at heart with the grandkids. We aren’t even going to be young again 😊
    I was excited about going to Perth at the end of the year and thought of Thin but I’d love to catch up with you if you would like to- sometime after the middle of Feb? Thin has my email if you can get it from her. Are you on fb?
    CalifD, I’ve sent an email to you too. Craigslist is a great way to get rid of stuff. I don’t want to get rid of OH but he has a lot of ‘stuff’ I’d like to get rid of!!
    LJoyce you certainly go to a lot of trouble to make your tea blends- I’m far too lazy!
    Sound like you had a lovely day with little Miss, Lindsay. How old is she? Those jeans look good and my tummy is also a problem area, so I may look into them too.
    Penguin, I eat those foods too. I always forget to take supplements anyway
    Very hot day today. I think we’ve done the last of all the wedding shopping. I just need to get foods on the day for a lunch platter while at the hairdresser. She has a lovely salon at her home and lives next door. The makeup artist is doing all the girls makeup there too. All this and spray tans as well- a lot more effort than in my day haha. I’ll let you know in advance that I don’t normally look anywhere as good as any photos I put up with me in them haha- a group effort is required haha. I’m not getting a spray tan tho- never have.
    Tomorrow is set up day and it’s going to be 42 degrees! I think most will be jumping into the river – except maybe those with spray tans hahaha

Have a good one everyone! Xx

Hi All,

A check in to say write a bit about an interesting comparison…

Today I accompanied my friend to an Inbody Scan appointment. This friend grows a lot of her own food and only eats organic paleo cuisine. She never eats sugar, doesn’t have emotional ties with food like I do. When I look at her body I see little or no fat. She is very fit, lifts weights, practices Iyengar yoga and owns an infrared sauna which she uses daily.

In contrast I admittedly binge, (and when emotionally driven I have been known to binge on sugary food). I am also very sporadic with my activity levels. The only constants in my health regime are 5:2 and my inulin powder program.

In light of this, I was shocked when I viewed my friend’s Inbody scan report! With my friend’s impeccable diet and exercise regime and body to go with it that looks 20 years younger than her biological age, I would have thought that her visceral fat levels would be half of what mine are. Instead the scan showed that she has double the amount of visceral fat that I carry, which lands her in the health risk zone. …Meaning the 12+ centimeters square that is tucked away around her organs is posing a health risk due to increased inflammation and pressure on organs.

I am writing this to underscore that we never know what is lurking around our organs until we are tested to find out! We can look slim and trim, as does my friend and carry unseen visceral fat tucked away beneath our muscles, deep around our organs. Also, the friend who follows what I consider a ‘perfect’ diet and exercise regime to a tee, did not receive as healthy a body composition report as I, one who is someone who is often off course, but who remains committed to 5:2 and my inulin powder program!

5:2 is both forgiving and so life giving!

For the record, my friend has never showed any interest in following 5:2.

Sorry guys, in the small hours I tend to be very literal. The TEES is the river I lived beside when in primary school. The WEAR is the next river north and I lived beside that later on. Both are industrial at their mouth but get up the dales and there is some of the prettiest country on the planet – farming valleys, mostly sheep and high limestone moorland between them. Geologically interesting with basaltic intrusions if your mind works that way.

The diet I remember with least pleasure is the Cambridge Diet. It worked in the sense that I lost weight whilst on it but the side effects were constipation and the worst bad breath ever.

Hi everyone
    Been a couple if days since last post, lots to catch up on. Have just finished hooking up a new NBN modem to our home, also had to set up new networks, homegroups & new security for our TV, computers, fitbit, etc – seems to take forever, causes some stress & then a need for a sugar fix – had a handful of choc coated almonds: tasted too sweet but satisfied the stress craving!!!
    Many posts on tea – I like milk in black tea last, but in first for coffee so it’s creamier! & no milk in herbal tea.
    Thin: only a week to go & my glasses will be ready – can’t wait to see the difference!
    Calif: I’m aware of mono vision lenses for bilateral cataract lens replacement, but didn’t realise it’s use in contacts & glasses – makes sense. Enjoyed your link re same
    LindsayL: thank you for miracle jean link – saved it for future shopping. So glad your fridge found a new home & you can now enjoy your view
    LJoyce: enjoyed your painting rules – will be helpful for my future renos. After all your hard work, you may decide to stay awhile & enjoy your efforts. Best wishes for Saturdays treatment.
    Cinque: hope you are starting to feel better – children in childcare bring home many bugs to share around sometimes!
    Penguin: your mention of a travel brush reminded me that I bought one ~ 12 months ago, with water colour pencils – must go look for them & give it a go, will probably have to use youtube to get lessons as have never painted before – my Dad’s an oil paint artist, hopefully some genes have crossed over & I won’t have too much bother! Some of my forebears came from Teesdale & Weardale – long time ago
    JJulie: have a lovely holiday in Borneo, enjoy it all, especially the food & the orangutans!
    Stay: enjoy every minute this weekend, the preparations & especially the wedding – a very special, exciting time for you all
    Minka: nice comparison for you with your friend’s body scan
    Nearly 9pm here – time to wind down for the day.
    Enjoy whatever you are doing & bye for now!

Email doing the rounds here : The heavier you are the harder it is to kidnap you. Stay safe, eat cake.

I haven’t had time to post yet today but have a few comments to make, all from memory so I am bound to miss loads of people and topics.

I’ve made a lame attempt at my exercise band therapy. I’m having trouble finding a place to attach them to take advantage of exercises for the bingo wings though. Fear I may have to use weights. This week I lost weight after both the NFDs but not after yesterday’s FD.

Cinque, please take care of yourself. Minka, thanks for the comparative report and well done for your continued adherence and good results. Will your friend now make some changes?

CalifD, thanks for passing my email address on to Stay who I’ve since stalked on FB and who looks absolutely amazing, youthful and trim. Stay, am I requested to forward your email address to Cinque? Wasn’t sure about that.

LJ, channel 9 was no longer showing the race by the time I got to the TV so I missed out. I love Rooibos but was probably mainly attracted to it because it’s African. Good luck with your visiting nurse if that’s tomorrow or hope it went OK if it was today.

Arel, we’ve had NBN for 3 years. Internet is now slower than ever. And costs $20 p/m more!

Lindsay, back in the swing of fasting indeed. Hi JJulie, have fun on your trip.

Penguin, I have taken your advice and eaten a piece of DD’s frozen b/d cake this evening. This is what I do when I am happy with my weight – sabotage it. Not that I’m in any danger of being kidnapped.

That was a pretty good little memory test like when you look away from a tray of random items and one item is removed and you must remember what is missing. Sorry if I left anyone out. More tomorrow.

Stay, I hope you make it through the wedding set up without anyone fainting in that heat. I really hope the wedding day goes without a hitch and that you all have a great time and make lots of nice memories.

Thin, my physio had me using doing exercises using theraband at one point. I had similar issue finding things to attach it to. The door handle on a shut door was suggested, but it needed to be at waist height and my door handles are mostly shoulder height. I tried using the handles on the linen closet but every time I pulled the band the doors opened. In the end I realised I could use my bed frame I have an antique brass bed, so lots of rails at different heights and a very solid bed that won’t move easily.

Penguin, I love kidnap cure, although with all the extras I’ve had today, cake is the last thing I need. I think I’m safe, not wealthy enough for anyone to want to kidnap.

Arelkade, I’m trying to avoid the NBN for now. The old service gets cut off here in May and I’m hoping to sell the house before then so I don’t have to commit to a package here and I’m intending to ditch the home phone when I move.

Minka, isn’t it amazing how different our hidden health can be, that bears no relation to what people see on the surface. We are so conditioned to believe that is someone looks thin they must be healthy.

Cali, I would strongly suggest you make just enough of the blend to make one cup of tea to test out the proportions, if it’s not right then tweak the recipe in the next cup. That way you can work out how much you like of each ingredient before making a large batch. (I quickly figured out I like my chai with lots of cinnamon and cardamom and less cloves and black pepper.) A lot of people like star anise in their chai, so add it if you like it. I hate aniseed so I left that out.
    Something else I should mention too. Black tea leaves lose about 1/3 of their caffeine each time you add water and brew them, so I sometimes have French Earl Grey mid-afternoon and pour 2 lots of boiling water on them for 2 cups of tea. Then I just put the pot aside with the damp tea leaves in it. At this point they only have 1/3 of their original caffeine left, so in the evening I add a decaf tea bag to the pot and brew again – the tea has a hint of the fragrance from the French Earl Grey. Not as good as a fresh pot, but it’s the low caffeine level I need in the evening.

My NFD hasn’t been too bad, although I finished it with a fruit scone from the freezer. I’m fasting tomorrow as my next infusion is on Saturday and fasting the day before seems to reduce the side effects.

Today is my regular Thursday FD and I was just 100 grams over my goal this AM. But I’d like to get down to my wiggle room number, another kg. Still, maintenance seems to be going well as long as I don’t go completely crazy on NFD.

LJoyce, I’ll start with a small enough amount of the tea blend so I can just add a little more of whatever I need to offset any flavor that doesn’t taste right. I like star anise, but it’s a pretty intense or distinct flavor that I think might overwhelm the others. For me, I think it would better as the only added spice in a tea. I love the look of the stars. They’re so pretty in a cooked dish.

Stay, one more day til the wedding! I bet it will be relief once the day begins and you don’t have to worry about any more details. Can’t wait to see the pictures! BTW, you’re beautiful! It’s so nice to have a face to put with your name here!

Minka, great to hear from you. Congrats on the good results! Your scan compared to your friend’s was eye opening. If she is thin and in such good shape, could anyone at the imaging place give her a reason for the numbers being so far off?

Penguin, I got a lot of mileage out of your quote this morning. That was so funny! How are you and OH feeling today?

Thin, no problem passing your email on to Stay. I may ask the same favor of you in the future. I have the same problem with exercise bands: where to connect them in the house. I tend to do exercises where I can just create tension between muscle groups by holding them. I really need to get back into a regular exercise habit. My problem is that I set up a program that’s too ambitious and then the first time I don’t do it, I end up chucking the whole thing. Kind of like the old diets used to be! Re self sabotage when you reach a good weight, I do the same thing. I should be thinking that I don’t want to wreck the results of hard fought FD. Next time you’re tempted to reach for cake from the freezer, imagine me smacking your hand and yelling, “Stop that!”

Arel, setting up modems and networks and internet service can be such a pain. I’m the one who does ours because I like playing around with computers more than OH does. And I have more patience with it. You’re right, it can take a lot of time.

Cinque, didn’t see you post this morning. Hope everything is ok and the nasty bug isn’t affecting you more.

Just a quick post this morning. I’ve been watering the garden for several hours to help the plants survive this heat. I’m taking a quick break and having a cuppa before I move onto the painting. I’m not in the mood for painting today, but as I won’t get any done tomorrow I need to do something. As long as I do 1/2 day of painting I’ll be satisfied.

FD for me today. Have a good day, stay cool.

Good morning everyone,
    I woke up early because of the hot night, but have just been catching up on a couple of recorded tv programs. Very luxurious.

I am recovered from the virus thankyou, and hopefully NO MORE will be coming from the germ swamp! But I am minding Miss Three tonight so we will see. (Lindsay, I can’t wait until she asks me to take her for dumplings, yum!)

I am settled now and centred as I seem to need to be to eat properly. Next Fast Day Sunday.

It is so hot here today (hot and dry, Cali, although we do get nasty humidity), and hotter elsewhere. I feel sorry for those Tour Downunder riders! And the tennis players, and Stay et al, preparing for a wedding outside! LJoyce, don’t you overdo it either!
    We are very lucky to have a cool change due late afternoon. Thankyou, Huey the weather god.

In all the research I have done for the community food project, I realise more and more that the one basic thing to do is to get more vegetables (including legumes) into people’s diet, and that is mainly because of the wonderful fibre. Hooray for wonderful veggies!

Minka, what a fascinating comparison with your friend. It looks like light fasting and/or inulin makes the difference (unless it is simply your excellent genes). Your friend must have been despondent. Maybe she will get more interested in your regime.

Stay, I will ask Thin for your email (Thin, email coming!) and I would LOVE to catch up, and after the middle of Feb sounds perfect.

Hi Arel, Penguin, and everyone else
    Best wishes everyone for a good day.

LJ, so it’s tomorrow for the infusion. Memory wasn’t so good after all.

CalifD, ha, OK will keep that image of the 58kg slim one telling me off! No more cake left. I’d hoped the frozen portions would last a bit longer than a week but felt sorry for DD on the 10pm-8am shift last night and didn’t really have anything for her to take to keep her going so suggested the cake. We did better than in the past though, we bought a much smaller cake and I still managed to convince OFMs to freeze some. Only 100gm damage this morning, like you. A miracle really because, after the mud cake, I went foraging for something else sweet, found nothing so broke into new territory and went for the kahlua. That had remained unopened in the liquor cabinet for at least 4 years. Today will be better.

Yes Cinque, how are you? It never feels right without your early morning post here when I wake up. I do hope all’s OK.

Laughing at your anecdotes re the exercise bands and wondering how many past patients were cursing me when sent home with same. Our doorknobs are also at shoulder height as it’s a 1930s California bungalow (how did that get here asks CalifD?). I use my foot and heavy furniture to anchor them but that won’t work for triceps.

I meant to say yesterday that, despite all my past substantial weight losses and subsequent weight gain experiences before 5:2, I’ve never been on any fad diet. I always lost my weight by my own style of what I always called the starvation diet. Basically comprised eliminating anything that tasted good and skipping lots of meals. No alcohol. Always worked very well until I reached the goal weight, then resumed eating the same old crap in the same old quantities and the rest is history. How dumb was that?

Thinking of you Stay, setting up in the heat. Since our prolonged rainfall, it’s been much cooler but very humid, you’re correct CalifD, we’re not used to the humidity or the rain at this time of year.

Must go for a walk, I want to be back before DD arrives home with all the stories from emergency.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,501 through 14,550 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.